Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• sfcharliesfcharlie Member Posts: 402
    Have you decided yet on getting or not getting an Audi A6 for your next drive?

I went through a period of indecision that felt similar to what you have been describing here. One key variable in my equation of indecision was that frequently mentioned (in reviews by both owners and automotive journalists) hesitation of the 3.2 engine. I test drove the 3.2 several times and the 4.2 once. I also had the thought (and, oddly, also felt I was being some form of “silly,” as you put it) that a car like this should just go, with no hesitation, in its “regular” D mode. The salesman had me take the second or third test drive in S mode and I felt the difference clearly, but the sense of something being wrong with that stuck with me and played a part in my deciding to buy an Infiniti M35. In retrospect, I believe I put that piece of the puzzle together the wrong way. The Audi really is offering you two ways to link up the engine and transmission and it’s a very clever choice that not only provides some variety and fun in driving, but also provides an 20+ mpg possibility that, I believe, is simply beyond the M35 no matter how you drive it.

Also, for whatever this sort of subjective musing is worth, one thing you cannot shift around is the interior of the car and Audi gets that “more right” than either BMW or Infiniti.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Upon filling up my A6 3.2 the miles to empty regularly rises to 630 -- over 30mpg.

Of course, around town, the mileage drops to a number beginning with a 2 and sometimes goes below 24. But, now at almost 20K miles, the 3.2 is a "sipper."
    Last week you wrote: "I think it's important to consider the source of CR "data." Those who categorize cars the same way as CR does its core competencies (appliances & house paint) are generally NOT (that would be NOT) automobile enthusiasts...Here's a question CR might ask: How do you routinely transport yourself? a) walk, b) bicycle, c) mass transit, d) evil resource-sucking, carbon-dioxide-producing, non-recyclable-product-containing, single-person-carrying selfish product? If you're so bold as to choose d), then you'd by-god better be driving a Prius or Corolla -- Civics are OK, I think...However, their core supporters buy most things just as they'd buy appliances & house paint...Some of us are at the other end of that scale, where cars are concerned."

What I came to think, after some more experiences with different cars, and reflecting on all the different voices here and among reviewers, I found myself thinking you were on to something very important for people who tune into these forums in a state of indecision. If you like driving at all, it will matter what happens to your body as you drive a specific car. How you feel the car's contact with the road come through your hands, how you feel the engine and transmission work through your foot (and hands, if you're using a tip-tronic), and how you feel your body being held by the car as the machine moves you through space and time. So, thanks for the impassioned diatribe.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    I've ridden or driven lots of miles in the last 40+ years, and my happiest moments have been while I was behind a steering wheel (or handlebar) of one sort or another.

The Honda 160 through the Salt River Canyon, the MGB on Cape Breton (Nova Scotia), the 240Z through the Fraser Canyon (BC), the Miata on the PCH in CA and even the Kenworth pulling the Grapevine, working the lanes around slower vehicles while not blocking others. Each of these experiences (plus thousands of others) brought me closer to the vehicle I was driving at the time -- smooth shifts, good cornering, fine acceleration, good smells blowing in the window, chamber of commerce views through the windshield, pleasant listening to the audio, that sort of thing.

I love driving, then I love the vehicle -- one that allows me to do lots of driving with the least pain will become a favourite. I've had several, and developed a strong attachment over the years for a few.

The notion of a throwaway (leased) vehicle isn't one I've come to yet. That said, I appreciate the viewpoints of those who want the "latest & greatest" & are willing to pay for it.

Watching the sun come up while driving an excellent vehicle on an empty road with twists and turns is what makes life worth living, in my world.

Others in Edmunds look at their vehicles more as a fashion accessories. I don't understand it, but at least it represents passion.

Consumers Reports (& most normal people) don't understand any of this, but influence much of what goes on in automobile discussions.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    "Good actions ennoble us,
    we are the sons of our own deeds."

---- Miguel de Cervantes

I find your posts poetic and ennobling contributions, as you find your driving.
  • reality2reality2 Member Posts: 303
    My 2006 A6 3.2 Avant completely outfitted was around $68,000. I love it, that Audi "soul" is like no other.
  • habuhabu Member Posts: 52
    Can you tell us what options you put on your 68,000 Avant? I built one at Audi USA with all the options available and the total was 63,090. Did the 68k include taxes, etc?
    Hi habu,

I will try to remember all the options that I think will be of value to your question: Audi Navigation, Voice Recognition, Blue Tooth, Wooden Steering Wheel with Wooden Gear Shifter, Adaptive Cruise Control, Rear Airbags, Side Window Shades, Sirrus, BBS Wheel Package (that was quite expensive), Tint, Interior and Exterior Protection Package, Atlas Grey, Air Suspension System, Sports Seats (not the standard - same as on the S-Line), Keyless Entry and Keyless Ignition, Automatic Lift Gate, and I think that does it in terms of additional things. Of course, he has the standard Audi luxury features that you would expect from an Audi such as sunroof, CD Changer, etc. This was before taxes, etc. The BBS Wheel Package adds around $4000.00 to the overall price.
    Yes, the wheels put the price where you said it was. I have been trying to find cross bars for the roof rails on mine. Does your dealer have any leads on where bars might be found? The rails have indentations for the bars, but Audi had yet to make any available, at least here in the US.
    If it's not too late you might consider StonGard. I had it installed on my Atlas Gray before I took delivery and most of the time you cannot see the seam. For $700 it is worth knowing that when someone reduces your following room, they will not chip your paint with a stray pebble. The kit also covers the leading edges of the mirrors, the door edges and the inside of the door handles where rings and nails scratch the finish when people open the doors.
    Congrats on a fine car.
    Thank you and same to you regarding the Avant. It is a great car to drive. I am not aware of the roof rails you speak of, but I will inquire of my dealer to see what they have availabe. I was not really in the market for those, but I will try to get you the info. Actually, I have StonGard on my three Audis, so I am glad you brought that up. I had it installed post on one of my other new Audis as he was getting chipped around the grill and I've had it painted several times already. With the Auto Union grills, it is easy to chip the paint beneath the grill. So, I added it on and so far so good. Enjoy your Avant!
    What kind of mpg are you getting with 3.2?
    Mid to upper mid twenties.
    About the same...mid twenties
    Same for mine with about 1,000 miles on the odo.
    Great improvement above 15K miles. Sometimes on the highway, even at good speed and with a total of three people and their luggage in the car the mileage will exceed 30MPG.

This is NOT the norm, but it is an indication of the potential improvements offered by FSI and it makes me wonder what could happen if we could go from Fuel Straight Injection to pure Fuel Stratified Injection (which is supposedly the goal, once our fuel here in the US is cleaner)?

This technology is part and parcel of "the little engine that could." Check it out in the 2.0T FSI and just imagine what could be done with the 3.2 with each advance of technology. I'd say high twenties without killing yourself is not beyond the pale.
  • wbwynnwbwynn Member Posts: 246
    What's the theory behind Fuel Stratefied Injection?
    The cheap and quick answer seems to be, FSI is direct injection -- expensive to be sure.

One that appears to have an ability, among other things, to allow the compression ratio of the engine to be very high indeed.

The benefits of extra high compression ratio are well known and if this is any indication -- foretells of even greater efficiencies.

Conversely, it is possible to have a relatively high compression ratio and use lower octane fuel.

On the other, other hand, even higher compression ratios without impossible to obtain octane ratings, are possible with FSI.

Direct injection in this application can be loosely thought of as the kind of thing that we know of as diesel.

I can look this up by dogpile-ing or google-ing.

Lots of info out there.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ...when the "07's are due in and what is/will be changed for '07?
    2007 A6 3.2 Sedan Equipment Upgrade Highlights

*Trip computer / Driver Information Center will be standard on all A6 models
    *A6 3.2 CVT will get a new 16” 6 spoke wheel
    *Digital speed indicator in driver information center on all A6 models
    *New cupholder (similar to A4) in all A6 models
    *New flexmetallic trim will surround the instrument cluster on all A6 models
    *New satellite radio antennae (smaller) on all A6 models
    *New overhead center console (from Q7) on all A6 models
    *CD changer will have MP3 playback capability
    *Power tilt and telescoping steering wheel was added to Convenience Package on 3.2 models
    *Rearview Camera will now be included in the Technology Package
    *Headlight washers were added to the Cold Weather Package
    *4 spoke multi-function steering wheel with shift paddles is now included with the S line Package
    *19” 20-spoke 2-piece BBS-style wheel is now available as an upgrade when S line Package is ordered
    *S line Package now available on A6 Avant
    *Leather dashboard from quattro GmbH now available as a stand-alone option
    *Quartz Gray Metallic exterior paint replaces Atlas Gray Metallic
    *Ibis White replaces Arctic White
    *Phantom Black Pearl Effect now available (Brilliant Black remains)
    *Cardemom Beige replaces Beige interior
    *Daytona Gray Pearl Effect is now available with S line

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------
    2007 A6 4.2 Sedan Equipment Upgrade Highlights

*New 4.2 engine now with FSI direct injection technology and 350 hp
    *Same highlighted equipment changes as 3.2 Sedan / Avant
    *Technology Package, S line Package, Cold Weather Package are same as 3.2 Stand-alone options are same as 3.2 except for the solar sunroof that is only available on the 4.2 model. Also leather dashboard is stand alone on the 4.2 not sold order like the 3.2.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Member Posts: 659
    Also, you can now get white w/ the amaretto interior for 2007. I think that's going to be a beautiful combination.
    I have the Green Pearl with Amaretto -- white was my first choice, but the Premium Amaretto Leather option was a non starter in June 2005.

There are several white cars with very nice wheels on them -- classic elegance, IMHO. Add Amaretto and "instant tang!"
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    white w/ the amaretto interior

Excellent combo !

Thanks for the update information sfcharlie.

But....when is the '07 available?
  • roadtrip2roadtrip2 Member Posts: 3
    Highway mileage with '05 A6 3.2 has been in the 27-29 mpg range on long trips with short stopovers. Local mileage is under 20. I now have over 20,000 miles in the one year I've had the car. The car has been to Florida and California from Illinois home with no issues beyond its initial start switch problem which finally got a fix. Like Mark quite frustrating last year. Great car!
    I'm 8 months with no starter switch problem.

I had the wheels balanced today -- probably will need new tires by end of the year.

The OEM tires, High performance A/S are pretty lame in terms of performance, but they are quiet and, under the circumstances, comfortable.

Audi -- please offer us more tire choices if at all possible.

Computer systems should make this a no brainer.
    I just ordered my new 2007 S6 (Silver with ebony) from my dealer. Just wondering if there are any others out there that have ordered the new S6? Curious about your color and option choices. Not to many options as the S6 is loaded with everything possible including a rear view camera that has lines to designate your backward movement. Look forward to the flared front fenders and the eye-popping 435 bhp V10. Heard it has one mean growl to it.
    No, not me, but if you're looking to adopt a 55 year old and loan him your S6 (to take his wife out, natch) from time to time, I'm your man.

I really really like my 2005 A6 3.2, really.

My favorite Audi, however, of the 28, was NOT my A8, not even my two A6 4.2's -- nope, my favorite to this day remains my 1995 S6 with all options.

I am certain my 2005 A6 is more refined, cleaner, probably not too much slower than the S6 and certainly safer by a factor of at least 5.

The S6 (and I do believe the S4 and S8 would be the same) is a fantastic car, one that will most likely spoil you for almost any other car.

Check out the review of the BMW, Audi and Mercedes in Automobile's July issue (I think it is July, anyhow.)

First time in history -- the Audi bested the Bimmer.

I read the report and both cried and swelled with pride (figuratively speaking) -- the S6 sounds like the maximum fun you can have.
    I'll ask my wife if she would like another child, already trained to boot! Thanks for your input. We also have an 2005 A6 4.2 S-Line and a 2005 A8L W12. I have always owned Audis and find them exquiste to own and drive. You are right about the 1995 S6. A very rare and special car if you can get one. I know several ACNA members that own one and bring it to the track. Audi has always had these refined sports sedans the most people did not understand. I did read the article and I too cried and swelled with pride. But, Audi has been beating BMW consistently in many comparos. The 7-Series always places behind the refined A8L and the A6 beats the 5-Series in pretty much all the comparos. But it does show what a fantastic car the new S6 is considering it has 100 bhp disadvantage compared to the other two, but pretty much bested both the MB and BMW in overall driving and definitely quality and refinement if read closely between the lines. And the S6 is not even the main competitor as quattro GmbH is going to release the RS6 within a year or year and half.
    You'll probably get more congratulations and envy than "I'm getting one also" responses.

So, to keep a bit of attention on Audi (the actual sales dark horse, underdog even to Infinity M35, which is often pointed to as the one you won't see everywhere, as you will with BMW 5-series), Automobile Magazine wrote: "We expected the S6 to be notably slower and less involving, with more androgynous handling qualities and less feedback overall. But we were wrong. Despite the near total absence of drama, its set of reflexes is complete. Quattro is a bonus not only in winter or when it rains: it also ties the car down well through dips and brows, makes carving the twisties much more relaxed, and always-always-puts the power down. Instead of bothering you with weight distribution or traction-control issues, the S6 simply goes where you point it. No, power oversteer is not easily induced, but when you whip all three cars through a wet corner, there is one clear winner. And at an estimated $75,000, the Audi is the most affordable supersedan...The fact that the M5 has fallen so far so fast tells you three things: That this is an extremely fast-moving business. That even a well-founded status quo can be eroded by clever evolution. And that the big-engine-in-a-mid-size-car game is more competitive than ever."

Same can be said, in varying degrees, about still-underrated entire A6 line -- even when compared to BMW 5-series, I believe.

Please tell us more about buying experience and expected arrival date.
    If there is a 10% increase in mpg, along with the increase in hp, as a result of FSI system being added to V8, what would mileage be like, given what any of you are getting with 4.2 now?

Has anyone ordered a 4.2 S-Line? Anyone driving a 2005 or 2006 4.2 S-Line? Havne't heard much about that, but saw one in newspaper being sold with only 5K.
    Strange how the A6 is the "dark horse" in the US, but it is the number one selling mid-sized luxury vehicle in the world and leads its tier 1 rivals the 5-Series and E-Class in Europe. It's like the A8L...the most underrated luxury car in the US once again, but one the most popular luxury vehicles in the rest of the world. I think we will "get it" eventually here once AoA cleans up its marketing arm a little better and actually starts to "understand" the brand somewhat more.

Anyway, the buying experience has been as the article states "absent of any drama." I have a very strong relationship with my Audi dealer and my brand associate, so the buying experience is always top notch. It is very easy to specifiy a S6. You have the Technology Package: (voice, parking system with rear-view camera, DVD Nav, Sirius); Warm Weather Package : (Solar Sunroof, Power Rear and Side Window Sunshades): Rear Airbags, Adaptive Cruise, Heated Rear Seats, Leather Driver Side Dashboard, and the tire package of 19" rims. You can choose either black or silver headliners with either an ebony or silver interior (0nly two choices in the US). The colors available are Brilliant Black, Light Silver Metallic, Brillant Red, Quartz Gray Metallic, Ibis White, Phantom Black Pearl Effect, or Sprint Blue Pearl Effect.

The S6 is due to arrive by late October or November. All my Audis are pretty much special ordered, and I always seem to get them faster than the specified date given me usually by a month. But my dealer has quite a bit of orders already on hand ahead of me for the S6 as well as the S8.
    What will the RS6 add to the S6? And, can you get the Avant in an S6 package?
    Yes, the S6 is available in the Avant version, but only in Europe and the rest of the world (excluding the US). As for the RS6 few actual details are known, but the powerplant is rumored at anywhere from a 520 to 550 bph V10, likely bi-turbo (though no one is sure of this yet). The rest one can assume it will be like an RS4 on steriods. As for specific features, no details are available as of yet, unless someone else knows something.
  • schuhyschuhy Member Posts: 1
    I ordered an '07 A6 4.2 S-Line around mid-May - delivery expected in early August. I researched and test drove the A6, M45, E350 and BMW 530 over a 12 month period before deciding.

I narrowed the list to the A6 and M45 and frankly thought both were great cars. My final decision was based more on personal taste factors than anything - I preferred the A6 interior and exterior design, it was a little quieter than the M45 and just seemed a little more refined to me. Of course the response and handling of the A6 s-line sealed the deal and put a smile on my face every time I test drove it!

Incidently, this will be my first Audi. Nearly every LPS where I live is a BMW or Mercedes, so it will be nice to drive something different. My fingers are crossed regarding the long term reliability!

There was also one other factor: from my review of the various forums/chat sites (e.g. Audiworld), I sensed that Audi owners have a great passion for their cars. I'm not saying that the others didn't, however it was much more apparent with the Audi owners and this is something I'm looking forward to being part of.
    "Strange how the A6 is the "dark horse" in the US, but it is the number one selling mid-sized luxury vehicle in the world and leads its tier 1 rivals the 5-Series and E-Class in Europe. It's like the A8L...the most underrated luxury car in the US once again, but one the most popular luxury vehicles in the rest of the world. I think we will "get it" eventually here once AoA cleans up its marketing arm a little better and actually starts to "understand" the brand somewhat more."

Perhaps the positive momentum is builing: "July 1, 2006
    Audi of America June Sales Highest in 2006
    Source: Audi of America

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Audi of America, Inc., today reported 8,039 vehicle sales for the month of June, an 11.3 percent increase over year ago sales. This is the fourteenth monthly sales increase over the past 17 months, and a positive indication that Audi will meet its goal of record sales in 2006.

Sales in June were up or on par across the Audi line up. The all-new Q7 performance SUV tallied 1,310 sales in June, the first official month of sales for that vehicle. Sales of the A3 and A6 models were up significantly again, 17.9 percent and 10.5 percent, respectively. The Audi A3 recorded 665 sales in the U.S. , with most sales coming from the all-important Southern California market."

The Q7 might bring a new segment of the marketplace into Audi showrooms.

When you order a car (if you intend to lease it) do you then find out the lease rate money factor and residual numbers when your unit arrives?
    Audi owners do indeed have a passion for their cars, club membership, regional get together's, driving schools, group trips, memorabilia, modifications and accessories for both their cars and their backs.

Having the Audi wheel and tire concession sometimes seems like it would be a license to print money.

Audi gear of all kinds is always popular.

Local Audi dealers literally fight for the right to have regional shows from corporate take place in their facilities.

This kind of passion seems, around here, to be reserved for Audi, BMW and Porsche. The Infiniti and Lexus dealers are wonderful facilities, like the lobbies of four and five star hotels complete with concierge service -- but the passion for driving the cars, impossible to hide at the Audi or BMW or Porsche store is almost impossible to find at the high end Japanese dealerships.

Get this, there are multiple Volvo dealerships in our big town (small city?) of Cincinnati, the newest one seems to have figured out (somewhat) the passion formula, similar to the Audi, BMW and Porsche guys. Heck, even one of our Saab dealers has a good passion rep, too.

Here is the impression I get:

You walk into the Audi or BMW store and you are greeted by someone who "knows your name" and who offers you homemade cookies, coffee, or a drink from the selection of fresh juices and designer bottled water -- while you're here use our Internet terminals with broadband connection, browse our selection of local and national newspapers and/or watch one of our plasma TV screens. Three salespeople, only ONE of them who gets commission from your biz, stop to chat about cars, your vacation, her vacation and family.

Then, they call you and invite you to test drive a car even though they know you are two years from the end of your lease -- just for the fun of it.

Upon entering the wood covered inner sanctum of the Japanese Lux dealership, you are greeted by a host or hostess and called sir or madam and the associates all seem to be in suits and they're wearing the jackets. At the German dealer, the dress code tends more to dressy casual rather than business attire.

The entire aura at the upper crust Japanese dealerships is big 4 CPA or Law firm proper. Back slapping, so to speak, just wouldn't do.

Now, don't get me wrong, the Japanese dealerships around here are NOT stuffy and/or stand-offish as my description might suggest -- they seem to be much like the experience you may have had at a fine hotel with the concierge.

It strikes me as odd, somewhat, that the folks tend to talk about the high zoot stereo systems, attention to detail in the seats on the dash, etc. Performance is only discussed if you broach the subject.

Both the German lux and Japanese lux experiences are top notch -- heck, the last time I visited the Infiniti dealership they had a person standing behind a spread of fresh shrimp on ice, cheese cubes and seedless grapes offering small glasses of "just so" Pinot Grigio and quite willing to chat about the music-video DVD that is playing on both the front and rear DVD screens of the M35X with premium package (I think it was an Eagles concert).

Now of course, I am most familiar with these Cincinnati Ohio dealerships -- the experience in Chicago or Miami or Dallas (although I did visit the Dallas Audi/Porsche "dual" and was treated to a similar German experience -- that is, a lot more emphasis on "performance" and talk about driving the S4 or Boxster, etc.)

I wonder if the dealer training these various companies seem to have been imbued with is the way the manufacturer wants it? Or if this is market specific or just a coincidence here in the German city of Cincinnati?

The dealer experience I prefer, here in our fair city, is exemplified by both the Bimmer and Audi stores (and almost the same from the Volvo guys and one of the VW dealers too -- with an honorable mention to the Saab dealer.)

Just wondering how the experience at the dealerships you shopped struck you? :shades: ">
    I decided not to lease this vehicle as I keep my cars about 5 years or so. However, I did inquire about a leasing program and no lease rate money factor or residual numbers were available. My dealer was "guessing" that the program would be similar to the current RS4. However, they use multiple banks so the final numbers would not be negotiated until delivery. I prefer to purchase anway.
    Your long-term reliability will be just fine. The build quality is one of the best.
    My experience is very similar to yours. When I go to my Audi dealer whether for service or to purchase I am always greeted by my first name. Generally, it takes me about 30 minutes to get to the topic at hand as we wind up catcing up or discussing the latest Audi products or Audi Drives by my local ACNA chapter. There is a strong passion among Audi owners that I enjoy. Generally, the sales assocoiate, especially mine, is an Audi enthusiast (his Audi appeared in "European Magazine" last year) so I have great respect for him. The General Sales Manager is the same. The Dealership is elegant, new, and very high tech in appearance with plasma TVs, computer terminals, Quattro Cafe with a coffee bar (a mini Starbucks) and various foods if you like. There is receptionist to greet you and will get a coffee or whatever you need for you. The atmosphere is casual and the dealership welcomes and encourages owners to come in and just "hang out" if they like. I always have a good experience and everything gets done as promised. Anyway, I find that my dealer goes out his way. I am quite sure not all dealers do this, but I have found this at several Audi dealers in my area.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Welcome to the family! :)

I wear my Audi T-shirt frequently when bumming around. You will not be disappointed with the quality and drive of the car.

Congrats.
    I am buying my first Audi...an ordered 2007 A6 Avant...after being in a Lexus LS for 6 years. The Audi test drive was nothing short of stunning to me...I was overwhelmed by the handling, sound, and overall satisfaction with the A6.

Having owned 2 BMWs amd a MB, I was just so impacted by the difference between Japanese and German engineering. Being in a Lexus LS430 for years had literally dulled my senses to point that driving characteristics did not matter anymore....that is..until I drove an A6...it all came back to me. I am ranting. but I am excited about being in the Audi family. I can see an S6 Avant in my future...let me break in slowly. Thanks BW
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Anybody know of the S6 brake system is markedly improved than the standard A6 brakes? Had a guy at work ask me about upgrading his A6 brakes to the S6 brakes. Would he have to replace his 18" wheels to fit the brakes?

-Paul
    "Your long-term reliability will be just fine. The build quality is one of the best."

I struggled with this question of worrying about (and then reassuring myself about) Audi reliability. I ended up getting an M35, but not without some regret every time I see the A6, which I loved looking at and driving.

On the other hand, Automobile Magazine's new August issue reports their long term (25K) test of the A6 and they had to bring their's to the dealer 8 times in one year for warranty repairs.
    I have an 2005 A6 with 20,000 miles on it and it has not gone in for anything, but oil changes. Ditto on my A8 and other A6 Avant.
    Hope this helps:

Quoted from a S6 German press release earlier this year:

The Audi S6 is equipped with 19-inch cast aluminum wheels of a 5-arm wing design. The wide tires are of size 265/35 R19. An 18-inch brake system assures supreme braking performance and is resistant to fading even under high loads. Its four large discs are ventilated, the discs on the front wheels measuring 385 mm (approx. 15.1-in.) in diameter and those at the rear measuring 335 mm (approx. 13.1-in.). The brake calipers are painted black, and are adorned with an exclusive S6 badge at the front.
    That's what really bugs me about these magazines and car shows doing "long-term reliability updates". They are basically just anecdotal instances and not very representative of the whole car series but just one individual example.

I would much prefer they survey 100 or 1000 A6 owners for reliability data. This would be much more useful.

For what its worth, I've had to take my car into the dealer 3 times other than service in the last 18 months (but again, this is anecdotal ;) ).
    I don't mean to imply that one magazine having had a test-car that needed 8 repairs in the first 25K ought to be more influential to a prospective buyer than your no-repairs-needed experience (and similar reports from other Audi owners on this and the LPS forum). It's just what it is.

I think Audi is currently the most exciting, satisfying line of cars available and it's a shame that a magazine which, in comparative reviews, really liked Audi, ends up with a unit on which it will report to thousands of readers.
    "I would much prefer they survey 100 or 1000 A6 owners for reliability data. This would be much more useful."

That's what Consumer Reports and JD Powers do and the usefulness and relevance of their survey data has recently been hotly contested (especially with regard to Audi) on the Luxury Performance Sedan forum.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Thanks. :) Looks like he'd be needing new wheels. Wonder what else would be swapped.

-Paul
  • dan339gdan339g Member Posts: 56
    Another anecdotal report...my 2006 3.2 is now 8 months old with 5K miles and has been trouble free, other than the auto up/down feature with the driver's front power window control mysteriously stopped working, and then corrected itself about two weeks later. I'm still not sure I didn't somehow deactivate it via some obscure MMI sub-menu option. It goes in for it's first service next week, and I plan to ask if others have experienced this issue. Otherwise, the more I drive it, the more I like it :-)
    I agree that's what Consumer Reports and JD Powers do. I put much more credibility into their reports. IMO, reporting long-term reliability based on one leased auto is stupid and irresponsible. It may skew readers inappropriately away or toward an auto despite the auto's true reliability. I think magazines and TV shows should do away with this feature as it is of no value and in fact is harmful at people may be misled by them...