Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I have to say I've been generally interested in an A6 for some time. Not sure I'll ever get around to making it happen (especially in these recent times), but I very much admire the car. Hope it treats you well!!
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    Pat...I honestly didn't know much about Audis until recently. I love the styling they've gone to as of late. As much as I love the newer models, this '04 was very affordable and it has a timeless look to it. I hope it treats us well too. I plan on keeping up the immaculate maintenance on this car just to ensure it will give us fewer problems (if any).
  • free4allfree4all Member Posts: 2
    Hey luckylindy, I have a Audi A6 (2006 model) with 120K miles and a problem very similar to your post. The problem is intermittent...when it occurs it takes longer than normal to get cool air in the center vents while the driver side vent (and the vent in the top of driver side door) blow very hot air. Sometimes the problem goes away when I restart the car. My mechanic (not dealer) checked the car and the freon is good and there are no other hardware problems. He suggested I go to the dealer to have the software "refreshed" (since he doesn't have the programming tools). How did you fix your problem? Thanks in advance for your help.
    120k on an '06...WHOA!!! I thought I did a lot of driving! Hope you find a solution to your problem.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    You're responding to a post over two years old. A large number of the people who post on Edmunds are hit and run. There are relatively few long-termers, and I don't believe luckylindy is one of them, given that there are 10 posts in the name, and the last time he/she posted was in January of 2007.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    But we are always glad to revive older conversations because others may have some input. :) It doesn't really matter if the original poster is still around or not.

Welcome free4all, hope we can answer your questions.
  • jduffy12jduffy12 Member Posts: 1
    I have had this same issue and it's gotten worse over the past year.. It started with the outter vents and now all of the vents are blowing hot air. I'm not looking forward to a humid Philadelphia summer with no AC. The first mechanic who I took it to couldn't figure it out. If anyone has a solution as to how to fix this, please let me know!! Thanks, John
  • trabd123trabd123 Member Posts: 55
    Hello,
    I have an Audi 06 A6 lease with 17k miles. The lease will end on May 25th but the dealer will be able to buy the car from VW Financial and then sell it back to me with $700 off the residual value which is 26,500 so the final purchase price is $25,800 without certifying it. The car is in excellent condition with a couple of dents that could cost $300 to fix.

I haven't done the final inspection yet.

The car has the technology package but not the navigator. Is it worth buying this car?

Thanks.
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    There is a TSB on this. Here's a paste from a friend's post.

Temperature different between front driver and passenger sides
    80 08 03 2013883/4 June 25, 2008. Supersedes Technical Service Bulletin Group 80 number 08-01 dated
    March 20, 2008 to clarify step 3.
    Model(s) Year VIN Range Vehicle-Specific Equipment
    A6 2005 – 2007 All
    A6 2008 000001 – 097314
    Not Applicable
  • free4allfree4all Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the post. I ended up taking the car to the dealer. They replaced the left (one of three) coolant valve and flushed the coolant to remove any deposits (which may have caused the valve to stick???). Expensive, but the air conditioning is working again. Let's hope this is the end of this story.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Are you planning to CPO it?

I would.

Otherwise, if you know and love the car, this doesn't seem like a bad deal to me -- it is also not exactly an OH WOW deal -- but you will know what you are getting.

CPO it and drive off into the sunset.

Or, make sure the temptation of the new A6 will not cause you any regrets.

I kept my all optioned 2005 A6 to 60,000+ miles and loved it virtually every mile.

I now have what may well become my best (of 29) Audis ever -- a 2009 A4 Prestige 2.0T tiptronic, also all optioned. I am, NOW, glad to have it, rather than keeping the 2005 A6.

At first I didn't see what all the fuss was about -- but the new A4 is actually "better" than the 2005 A6 in several respects.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    the new A4 is actually "better" than the 2005 A6 in several respects.

Mark: how does the performance and gas mileage of the A4 2.0T compare to the A6?

(Sorry if this has been discussed before.)
  • lewkowiczlewkowicz Member Posts: 3
    Have a 2001 A6..the remote key access does not work, can this be repaired or do i need to buy a new one for 200.00.
    Have you replaced the battery? I own an '04 and in the owner's manual, there's a section that tells you how to re-program the remote if it should stop working. If either of those don't fix the problem, you may need to go to the Audi dealer and have them look at the remote.

Does the remote itself cost $200 or is that with the key? You can order a remote with no key and just have your key switched over to the new remote when it comes in. However, you will have to pay to get the new key re-programmed ($125 here in DC Metro area) and you have to take ALL the keys at one time to get done, not just the new one.
  • rstoergerrstoerger Member Posts: 17
    I am in the middle of researching what to do next (currently in a 2006 A6) and believe I saw a residual for 12K miles/year for a non-Prestige at 48%. I have more experience with research with A4 and Q5s and noticed that going from 10K to 12K to 15K miles/yr lowered 1%. Going from Premium to Premium Plus to Prestige also lowered the residual 1%. The only thing that raised the residual 1% was building Audi Care maintenance back in recovered 1%. I would suggest adding the Audi Care. The sad part for me is that the residuals are very low, especially on this car. Even looking at the Q5, I finally gave up on a Prestige and simply added options to a Premium Plus as 1% residual makes a big difference in the monthly. As for MF, I haven't seen anything over 1%. I think the A6 is .0003 (.72%). The key is going to be the residual.
  • saxon2nsxsaxon2nsx Member Posts: 19
    Well guys for the longest time I have had the Audi fever. I have my eyes on a 2000 V8 with 112000 miles and the price is attractive: 6700 and that is before negotiations which means 6500 to 6000 depending how well I can deal. The car looks nice and well taken care of.

My questions are:

1. What should I look out for that is specific to this model/year/engine?
    2. How is this particular combination (2000 A6 V8 4.2 ) regarded in the Audi world?
    3. Is this a decent deal?
    4. Is this particular set up considered solid, long lasting, desirable?
    5. How is the engine and tranny on a V8?
    6. Do you guys have any specific advice, remarks, advice?

any input is much appreciated since I never had an Audi. :blush:
    Join Consumer Advice Editor, Phil Reed, and other Edmunds staff for an auto industry chat TONIGHT, Wednesday, 9:00 -10:00 pm/et (6:00 -7:00 pm/pt). To enter the chat, click on the banner at the top of the page.

See you there!
    I had one of these -- I'll give you some input:

1. What should I look out for that is specific to this model/year/engine?

Nothing that I know of -- the 4.2 is thirsty, but the thing is powerful and smooth and sounds great.

I had brake disk issues with mine which Audi fixed by replacing the entire brake system -- otherwise it only has a 5speed auto which TODAY would be considered, "old fashioned."

2. How is this particular combination (2000 A6 V8 4.2 ) regarded in the Audi world?

I don't know specifically about "2000" -- but I had a 1997 A8 4.2, a 2000 A6 4.2 and a 2001 A6 4.2 sport -- in fact the only reason I got rid of the '00 was that I wanted ESP which was not an option at the time I got my '00 A6.

The Audis equipped with the 4.2, as far as I know, are always highly regarded.

3. Is this a decent deal?

I am clueless -- the deal is good if you think it is would be my best answer.

4. Is this particular set up considered solid, long lasting, desirable?

Solid = yes
    Long lasting = well it already has 112,000 miles on it so I would think that means yes again
    Desirable = sure, it looks good since it was still fresh as of 2004 -- no one would ever know how old it was if it is in as good a shape as you suggest

5. How is the engine and tranny on a V8?

The engine on my three Audis with the 4.2 was a joy (other than gas mileage)

6. Do you guys have any specific advice, remarks, advice?

Have it checked out completely by two places (hell, make one of them an Audi dealer) -- repairs on this car will be breathtakingly expensive.

The 2000 A6 4.2 with the upgraded wheels and tires MOST of them came with rides great, handles much better than its pork over the front wheels suggests it has a right to, is fast, quick and quiet. The brakes, for me, were the only areas of weakness along with the so called tip lag issue which did have a software fix to address.

Again, if it is clean and purty and checks out by qualified technical shops (2 different ones), and YOU like the deal -- go with it.

OH yea, the thing likes young tires.
  • dm1212dm1212 Member Posts: 59
    Over the last week or so my 05 A6 3.2 is making a popping noise coming out from various parts of the bottom of the car. Its not all the time though. I don't know whats wrong with it. It pretty positive it will be covered under warranty, but I'm clueless what to tell the dealer. I know when I take it to Audi, the noise will go away and I'll look like a fool.

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Known issue, did not rise to a recall, but there was a service procedure that took care of this exhaust system issue.

Tell them about it, they have heard of it before.

Not a biggie.
    Mark, please check your carspace email (go to your carspace), I have an Audi question for you. Thanks,
  • mystromystro Member Posts: 64
    It's my first post BTW...next week I'm going to look at a few 05-06 (budget constraints) and it looks like I found a nice candidate..a 06 with 24K, cold weather package and premium package, no tech. They just completed the
    30K service early and it's a CPO, so that'll help.

I am somewhat concerned what to look for when I get there besides the visual what internal things should check..MMI version and Nav? I'm a total newbie to the Audi but we've always owned a nice awd car (Subaru) which totally convinced me it was the only way would go..to leave subaru would take a heck of a car and it looks like this is the company, I've always admired
    both companies winning offroard racing prowess so I have no reservations on it's AWD, it's mainly the electronics that scare me especially after reading all these issues with MMI versions and naturally I'd like them to put the 09 Nav and latest MMI version in but is any of this realistic to ask *after we agree to a price. You guys are the true expert/owners..how'd you approach them..it's an Audi dealer. Any tips more then welcome.

thanks
    I have no idea how to do that.
    I accidently made the assumption that this would be a good forum to post an A6 question to help me *before I made a purchase...maybe someone can suggest a Audi A6 forum that is active, even a German forum would work. I'll check back but most likely move on, nobody here.
    Mark, double click "My CarSpace" link upper left of this page. After you go there, you'll see "Mailbox" upper right a dn double click on that.

It's okay though. That issue is reolved. Thanks.
    Try Audiworld.com. :shades:
    The A4 is less thirsty and also quicker!
  • taylorjefftaylorjeff Member Posts: 4
    Currently driving 2003 A6 2.7T with 92000 miles. I bought off the lease and purchased an "Audi" warrenty good til 100K or 1/2010. Basically has been a great car. Previously had $1400 or warrenty work to replace some airconditioning fans but nothing else since coming off the lease at 50K. All scheduled maintenance has been done at dealer.
    I took in today for 90K maintenance. Cost is $380 plus rear brake pads and rotors need to be replaced at $550. Dealer is applying 15% off coupon so total cost around $850. They also found some transmission problems ($2000 to repair) and a camshaft seal leak ($450). According to dealer, these should be covered by warrenty. The dealer has also recommended changing the timing belt ($2400 I believe).
    So right now I'm out of pocket the normal maintenance and brake repair which is fine. Since I have the warrenty, my other $2450 should be covered less a $100 deductible. I can wait a while for the timing chain; Audi recommends at the 105K check up. If it would blow before 100K, the warrenty should cover. If I keep the car, I would think it wise to change around 100K.
    My concern is if I keep the car, will these types of repairs and costs continue at this level. If I didn't have the warrenty and had to pay these costs out of pocket I'd have $4950 in repairs over and above my routine maintenance. Granted, the timing belt is only done ever 100K but any number of other issues could pop up. If I thought an annual budget of $3000 would cover repairs I'd keep it, but I'm not sure that will be enough if and when I roll over 100K.
    For those of you who have kept your cars for longer periods what has been your experience? Advice?
  • yakovyakov Member Posts: 1
    How can I take off the knob from transmission shifter on my 98 audi a6? Thanks.
  • agceeagcee Member Posts: 1
    I bought my A6 used and it came with a Sirius radio. I went ahead and bought a subscription, but now I cannot get it to activate and I have tried several times with tech support from Sirius. Any ideas as to what I can do next?
  • joeflickjoeflick Member Posts: 1
    I just bought this car, it has 122K miles on it. It starts right up in the morning but after I drive it for 30 or 40 minutes...I get back into it and it turns over but doesn't start right up???Also, I have a bad leak of the windshield washer fluid..
    Anyone help me??? Joe
    Just wondering, have you taken it to an Audi dealer?
  • tank5094tank5094 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking at buying a 1998 Audi A6 sedan. It has 115xxx miles. This cars drives nice, is very clean, but has no maintenance records. Any advice on what I should be weary of? Or any advice in general would be great. Thanks.
    When you buy a used Audi NOTHING is more important then it's history. You can get any Audi service report from any dealer just using it's VIN..the SM will look it's record up. If it hasn't been Audi serviced at the proper points then your taking a potentially very expensive chance..an Audi history is key to buying a used one..trust me on this.
  • tank5094tank5094 Member Posts: 2
    Alright, will do. Thanks.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    If you can find a 98 A6 that is in good condition it may be a gem...but any major repair may be worth more than the cost of the car.

The gamble is a 12 year old luxury German sedan...if the cost is 6kish (which is what a 98 goes for around here)...then if you get a couple years out of it I figure you've done well (250 a month x 24 = 6000).

Any more than that and I'd probably go for a CC lease (250 a month...plus money down).
  • haudihaudi Member Posts: 1
    Occasionaly when I depress the break I will get a chattering sound with a electronic sound that lingers for about 3 secs and disappears. Tad bit pulsation in the break as well but no ABS light or anything. Does not occur all the time. Perhaps bad rear rotors? Calipers? The car does not have any stopping issues just that small malfunction here and there. Weird...

Haudi
  • kevinh29kevinh29 Member Posts: 2
  • kevinh29kevinh29 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy either a 2007 or 2008 CPO Audi A6. This is mainly for owners who have this model of the A6,

How much do you typically spend on repairs and maintanence per year for this vehicle? From the consumer reviews in Edmunds, some people complain they have to take it into the shop all the time, and other people are extremely happy with their purchase.

Would you recommend this vehicle to all your friends? Basically if you could go back in time, would you make the exact same purchase?

Any feedback would be appreciated!
  • peattipeatti Member Posts: 2
    Hello I am going through the same situation wioth my Audi A6 Quattro all wheel drive. Please tell me what was your out come after taking it to the dealer? My Audi is doing the very same thing. Last night we were going out to dinner, we started up aloud car to warm and reversed out of driveway. I noticed that all the gear letters bright all around the letters. Well I put car in drive and it barely was moving. I gave it more gas and it picked up speed and semed to drive normal but the check engine light stayed on. So I decided to turn around and go back home and park it until I could get it looked at. We took it the next day to a local respected German Auto repair shop and had the transmission flushed and fluids changed and a dianostic test on the transmission. It came back that it was a wiring ground problem in the transmission wiring. To find it would be $90 in labor per hour plus parts on top uf what I already paid for trans flush and refill. Me and the wife just decided to park it for now. Well please tell me what was your outcome?
  • chicagotigerchicagotiger Member Posts: 15
    we have a 2008 A6 AWD sport and cold weather package - only 16,000 miles and we've had it in the shop at least 6 times outside our normal scheduled maintenance... it's always the engine light that comes on... we've gotten a ton of excuses everything from not driving it enough, to not putting 93 octane in, even though 91 the highest you can find anywhere in illinois. the car has died in the middle of traffic without any warning.... i'm afraid we might have a lemon .. and the truth of what has been wrong has been hidden from us ... anyone else have these types of issues? we've never had a clear cut answer, but it's been a big waste of time.
    "...we've gotten a ton of excuses everything from not driving it enough"

heh...if it weren't so serious this would be funny.

I would (maybe) expect that problem if you had a 1970...anything (letting it sit for months).

But 8,000 miles (or so) a year doesn't sound like you're letting the car sit too long. If it were sitting too long I would expect the battery to die before any other problems.

But I'm no mechanic so maybe there is validity to their statements...however, I do find it interesting that they have a "list" of causes for this problem.

I would think "So, item a, item b, item c, item d, item e...item x...can all cause this?"

Way back (99), my A6 had the light come on a few times but it turned out to be the gas cap wasn't closed fully (the wife)...it never died on me.
  • jhamilton32jhamilton32 Member Posts: 4
    i have a 2002 A6 2.7T quattro sedan...we are starting our winter here with snow and freezing cold...i got in the car today and the tiptronic shifting on the steering wheel wasnt working...it was working where you shift from park to whatever gear but not on the steering wheel...anyone experienced similar or exact same problem? i thought it might be due to the cold weather...it was working yesterday but not today...any help is greatly appreciated...love the hell out of that car though...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A reporter is hoping to interview car-shoppers under 34 years old to learn whether they are interested in the new "near-premium" offerings from Acura, Audi, Buick and Lexus. Thanks for responding to PR@edmunds.com by Thursday, March 29, 2012 with your daytime contact info and a sense of whether you think those vehicles are well-suited to you and your peers.
  • An A4 would be considered "near premium," but an A6 is a premium car.
  • chicagotigerchicagotiger Member Posts: 15
    i'd love to tell him how my fully loaded 2009 Audi A6 was in the shop 12 times in two years and Audi customer service did nothing.... only 16K miles and had to ditch it.. will never buy an audi again.
    I always thought the brand name is what made the car premium. Whether it's A4 or A6...that doesn't matter. The A4 is a premium brand in it's size class...like the BMW 3-Series and Benz C-Class.
    But...is the A6 "near" premium :)
  • That is not the case. Several manufacturers make "near premium" versions of their goods: A4, C Class, BMW 3, Volvo S60, Acura TSX and TL, Infiniti G, Lincoln MKZ, etc. These are cars that start around $32K and can go to a high of around $50K if decked out. Premium cars start at about $45K (BMW 5, E Class, Audi A6), and everything else goes up from there...all the way to uber class items like Rolls and Bentley. Brands like Mercedes BMW and Infiniti and Volvo and the like are trying to get more volume to better compete with the changing landscape (in a way Rolls does not have to do), so having an entry level volume model makes sense. However, no way can a $32K car these days be a true premium car. You can easily pay that for a Subaru.
  • jalderferjalderfer Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2004 A6 2 weeks ago and the rear passenger side window is slow going up in the last several days, on one occasion almost didn't close at all. I've stopped using it until the paperwork arrives from the dealer with my 3-month warranty information.Then if it's covered I'll have them look at it.
    I had a bad experience previously with my BMW - replaced 3 window regulators in 3 years - ouch! none of which was covered by my warranty.

Has anyone had a similar experience with Audis? How much is it going to cost me to get it fixed if it's not covered?
    Thanks for your input,
    Jodi