Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• rwishrwish Member Posts: 20
    1.) Pirelli P6000
    Mark,

Don't know if you remember but I'm the guy who's debating going to +1 size with a 2000 2.7T. I'm curious as to why you went for the Pirelli P6000 instead of the P7000SS? The Pirelli P7000SS is a very highly regarded all weather tire. From my homework, I've narrowed it to this tire and the Dunlop SP5000 and am leaning to the Pirelli. As you, I live in Cincy so the winter gets careful consideration. BTW, while the jury is still out, I believe what I've decided is to wait till spring and then get the 17" OZ Nova wheels (with the Pirelli or Dunlop tires). I figure I can make it through the rest of the winter on my Dunlop 9000's and save the new wheels from the salt/winter wear.

2.) 2.7T vs. 2.8
    bxby,

Earlier this year I began searching for a new car and the Audi A6 quickly made the short list. Among my test drives was the 2.8 and I instantly fell in love with it. The short list was narrowed to one after that drive. My dilemma was that I did not want to buy new and insisted on a manual. Since the A6 wasn't offered in a manual until the 2000 version, finding a used one was like finding a needle in a haystack. Finally in Oct. my patience paid off when I saw a 2.7T advertised at a Louisville dealership (remember I really was looking for a 2.8). I went down on a Saturday and test drove it and was blown away. The driving experience for me was MUCH more fun than the 2.8. After much haggling, we reached a price and 3 days later, they brought it up to Cincy for me (how's that for service). Since the purchase EVERY review I've read on the A6 has been consistent on one theme. The 2.8 is underpowered COMPARED to the 2.7T and the 4.2. They then go on to say that for the price difference between the 2.7T and the 4.2, the 2.7T is a better deal. Now notice above that the word COMPARED. The 2.8 in it's own right is a fantastic car; it just isn't as sweet as the 2.7T. I personally love the instant gratification when I tap down on the accelerator. There is ZERO lag and the car doesn't suddenly lurch forward, it just goes and does so quickly and smoothly. If acceleration isn't important to you, the 2.8 will do nicely. I don't think what the 2.7T offers is a necessity but rather it makes the driving experience more fun. It really boils down to your personal preference. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rick
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    I just brought a 2.7T home last night, so my answer to this question is obvious. But it's MY answer, yours may be different. As many have said, there is no right choice, only what is right for you. IMHO the only way to know is to spend some wheel time with each. They're different cars. Reading, comparing, etc., really can't tell you enough. 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour behind the wheel will tell you most of what you need to know.

I've found the site below very helpful in learning about and comparing different tires. Their surveys are particularly useful. I have no association with these folks. Personally, when my Conti's go, it's SP5000's. I've heard just too much on AudiWorld about cupping on Pirelli's.

http://www.tirerack.com/about/helpwant.htm
  • eragererager Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering purchase of a used car, and I'm interested in input from Audi owners. I'm considering 1998 cars because I don't like buying new cars considering dealer hassles and depreciation. There are lots of 98s coming
    off lease now.

My wants:
    *"Near Luxury" (i.e. nice car for driving with friends and business clients)
    *Reliability
    *Decent fuel efficiency
    *Safety
    *Roomy enough back seat to seat two comfortably

Since my query on "which would YOU buy" is about YOU, feel free to substitute your own criteria. But note that auto handling, power, cornering
    are not my primary considerations --- assuming the car performs and handles decently.

Here are the cards I'm considering:

1998 Audi A6
    Prices realized @ dealers' auction: $20k-25k, depending on odometer, condition, and options. Less for non-Quattro if you can find one.

1998 Lexus ES300
    Prices realized @ dealers' auction: $16k-21k, depending on odometer, condition, and options.

1998 or 1997 BMW 528 (with more miles on it than either the A6 or ES300 to keep the price down) Prices realized @ dealers' auction: $24k-28k, depending on odometer, condition, and options. There are many between $28k and $32k, but as I wish to stay under $30k, I would have to buy one with 40,000 miles plus (maybe even 50k plus) on the odometer (feel free to factor that in to your decision).

I plan to test drive each of these in the coming weeks., but based on the reviews and research on the Internet, I've narrowed the field to these three (but if you have a strong recommend on another I'm willing to listen.) I'm big on reliability and I'm a real debt-hater, so that favors the Lexus it seems. I like the uniqueness of the A6, and without the Quattro it's a lot
    of luxury for the price. I like the prestige and looks of the BMW.

So, if you were buying, which would you get?
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Believe me, I did NOT elect the Pirelli P6000's -- the car came from Germany on December 21, 2000 with those tires on it!

My previous tires on my 2000 model A6 4.2 were 17" 255x40 series Dunlop SP9000's and after 20K miles and four seasons (in Cincinnati) I felt the 9000's handled better, did not have "cold" weather problems (flat spots until warmed up, etc.) and that they were much quieter especially at speeds under 50MPH.

So, unless I missed the section on the order form where it said "tire brand and model" -- I just took what the factory sent as part of the A6 4.2 2001 sport package. I will keep the Pirellis in the garage and let the dealer have the "almost new" P6000's back when I trade in 27 or 28 months from now.

And thanks to all for their input on my tire rants. As I said, I think the tires (P6000's) are GOOD, not as GOOD as the car deserves, however. At this price point I think we all have a right to some degree of "preference." Too bad we can't order (configure on line) the specific tires, etc. when we order these cars.
  • jim3039jim3039 Member Posts: 28
    I picked up my 2.8 three weeks ago and am very pleased with its exceleration among other things. I live in Los Angeles, and its power is well suited for my needs. I would agree with the other remarks posted here, the 2.8 is not under powered in its own right. And when you considered all the wonderful attention to detail and quality Audi has put into the A6, its a bargain.

Good Luck. Let us know what you decide.
  • bluejlbbluejlb Member Posts: 2
    I surprised my wife last spring with a A6 2.7T for her birthday. I test drove the 2.8 and the 2.7T and concluded if I was going to spend this kind of money for a car, why not go all the way. We both simply love the car. She first drove the car from Michigan to Colorado last summer, and then over the holidays we decided to go again to do some skiing. The punchline is we have taken the car on four 22+ hour one-way trips just because it is so much fun to drive. I may be saying the same thing about the 2.8 but no question there is a very noticeable difference in the acceleration. My wife even gave the car a nickname (audette), and treats her like a part of the family. Her favorite comment is "audette needs to stretch her legs" when out on the expressway. Neither of us have ever enjoyed any previous cars to the same extent.

Does anyone have any experience with the a6 avant, or the newer off road capable version with the 2.7T? I need to replace my car and am thinking about getting another audi.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Walter,

I don't have a lot to add to what the others here have already written. As a 2000 2.8 quattro owner, I'm in full agreement that the 2.8 is outstanding in an absolute sense; the 2.7T is even more outstanding. I chose the 2.8 over the 2.7T based purely on economics; when I bought, I could afford a 2.8 quattro equipped the way I wanted it, but an identically-equipped 2.7T was simply out of reach for me. I test drove a 2.8 and was pleasantly surprised to find it more than adequately powered. Would I rather have the neck-snapping acceleration of a 2.7T or 4.2? Sure; after all, I'm a "car guy". But I LOVE my 2.8 and I've never been disappointed in its power train. NEVER in 7 1/2 months and 10,000 (as of last night!) miles.

Obviously, there's no substitute for a test drive. It sounds to me like you're wondering, "If I get an A6, would I need to go with a 2.7T in order to be satisfied with the engine performance?" If that's the case, drive a 2.8 (in your choice of quattro or FrontTrak; this is important as their driving characteristics differ) and then decide whether or not you like it. If you decide that you DO like it, and you'd prefer to not spend the extra for the 2.7T, you should probably stop right there! Even if you like the 2.8, a drive in a 2.7T will likely cause you to become dissatisfied with the 2.8!

Besides the obvious horsepower difference, here are a few other things to consider:

1. Once you factor in the difference in M.S.R.P. and the fact that most dealers want more $$$ over invoice for a 2.7T than for a 2.8, the price difference becomes approximately $4000, identically-equipped.

2. Only the 2.7T offers the choice of a 6-speed manual.

3. Only the 2.8 offers the choice of FrontTrak (front wheel drive without quattro).

4. There is only one style of factory wheel (16" "wine glass") offered on the 2.8; there are 3 different wheels available on the 2.7T (one standard, the other two as components of different "Sport Packages").

5. Sport Packages are not offered on the 2.8; two different ones are offered on the 2.7T. Components include sport front seats, sport suspension, special wheels (including 17"), and performance tires.

6. On a 2.7T, if you want leather OR the moonroof, you must get both; you can get either separately on the 2.8.

7. The interior of a non-sport package 2.7T is identical to that of a 2.8 (unless, of course, the 2.7T is equipped with the 6-speed manual).

8. Likewise the exterior, except for wheels, tires, and trunk badging.

9. Finally, if you don't want the Premium Package (multi-function steering wheel, memory front seats & outside mirrors, auto-dimming mirrors, xenon headlights), CD changer, analog phone, or Guidance Package (navigation system and rear parking assist), but you do want leather, moonroof, and HomeLink, there's a way to save another $775 (at M.S.R.P.) on a 2.8. The "Celebration Luxury Package" ($1975) includes full leather interior, power moonroof, and HomeLink. If you buy these things separately, you pay $1550 for the stand-alone leather option and $1200 for the "Sunroof Package" (power moonroof and HomeLink). The Celebration Luxury Package is ONLY available on the 2.8. The only problem with it is that if you order it, you CANNOT order the Premium Package, CD changer (no problem though, as it can always be added later), analog phone (over-priced at $495 and analog only - not a popular option), or Guidance Package (if you want a factory navigation system, this is it). Personally, I reluctantly went the more expensive route solely because I wanted the xenon headlights. Now that I've had the car for awhile, I'll never own another car without them, period. I feel the same way about the auto-dimming mirrors. It's great not having to deal with glare from the outside mirrors, and the auto-dimming feature is the only way I've ever known that such glare can be eliminated. They're fabulous.

Hope this helps, Walter. Good luck with your decision.

- Mike
    Wow -- Mike you should sell Audi's (if you don't already). Agree on the Xenon comment -- want again to add my encouragement to ONLY acquire an Audi (any new Audi) with ESP -- inexpensive, could save your life -- and will increase the car's value at trade in time. Remarkable technology.

I realize you probably are biased in favor of the 2.7T, but your "facts, features and functions" discussion is, nevertheless, a very persuasive comment on the 2.7T -- it is indeed the best value and a great deal more fun than the 2.8.

While I do really love my 4.2, I do believe it is not as high a value purchase as the 2.7T.

I would refer anyone to your comments who was considering A6 2.8 v 2.7T quattro's.
    Thanks for the compliment, Mark. While I'd love to do just about anything having to do with cars for a living, I don't; I'm actually in the restaurant business.

Your point on ESP is well-taken. I unfortunately don't have it and have never driven an A6 with it, so I'm oblivious to its benefits. I must try a car with it, though I'm sure that doing so will make me wish that I had it!

In terms of favoring one version of the A6 over another, my personal feelings are mixed. There's no doubt that as engine performance (horsepower and torque) increases, so does the fun-to-drive factor. Whether or not it justifies the added cost is completely up to the individual buyer. I guess my feeling is that if one values and is willing/able to pay the price for the advantages offered by the 4.2, they should buy it. Likewise for the 2.7T. On the other hand, if the advantages of those models over the 2.8 don't matter, or if the cost difference is unmanageable, it's my belief that the 2.8 is a FABULOUS alternative to not only a 4.2 or 2.7T, but to just about everything else out there. I looked, believe me! Nothing else came close.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    my memory as to what ESP stands for, and what it does?
  • rjsenrjsen Member Posts: 30
    I'll give you two versions as to what it does.

Performance nut version:
    ESP takes all the fun out of driving. It prevents you from maximizing the performance of your vehicle by keeping you well within the traction limits of your tires. Half the fun of driving is pushing your car to the edge with no safety net, and ESP takes all that away. Its only saving grace is that it can be turned off in most cars equipped with it.

Normal driver version:
    ESP is a wonderful invention that keeps you in control of your vehicle at all time in all conditions. In ice, snow, or rain, it prevents fishtailing and spinouts. It allows you to drive normally in very low-traction situations, and not worry that you'll wind up in a ditch. There's simply no reason not to have it.

Technically speaking, ESP is simply an on-board computer that selectively brakes wheels when loss of traction is detected. My take is that since it can be turned off, there's no reason to avoid it. You just hit a button to disable it for spirited driving, but it's there if you just want an uneventful drive home when it's icy. Remember, though, that it's not a cure-all -- if you have zero traction at all wheels, nothing can help you.
    thanks.
  • bthirkbthirk Member Posts: 8
    I am undecided as to which version of the Sport Package to get. Are the 17" wheels much better than the 16"?? Better enough the justify the higher price??

Any comments that can help me know the differences would be welcome!

Thanks!!
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
    your car?
    I bought a used 2000 A6 2.7T that came with the $750 Sport Package. That's the package with the sport seats and 16" sport alloy wheels. The later 2000 models came with a $1000 Sport Package option that had everything the $750 option had PLUS "sport suspension". The car is fantastic but I really would like a stiffer, sport feel. Everyone I've talked to from TireRack to my dealer confirms that the differance is in the springs. I'm considering buying a set of Eibach springs that will lower the car 1-1.4" and give the car a stiffer feel. Can anyone confirm/deny this (i.e. that Eibach springs alone would in fact upgrade the car to a "sport suspension")? Anyone else with a similar stock setup do this already? My next concern is that if I get new springs, I should get new shocks but Bilstein doesn't yet make sport shocks for the 2000+ Audi's so I'm not sure how I'd complish that.

What very innocently started with looking for a new set of all performance tires led to looking at a 17" wheel upgrade (from the 16" stock) which then led to new springs (Eibach sport set) and now to putting on new shocks! Where does it end?

With no end in sight and mounting costs, I think I'm now leaning to the 17" wheel upgrade with new tires only. That way, I can evaluate the ride and determine where I want to go from there and keep the current wallet hit down. If I'm still not satisfied, I'll again look in the spring/shock option.

Thanks,
    Rick
  • gtr49gtr49 Member Posts: 7
    I'm considering A6 2.7T s. 4.2, possibly used 2000 model. Tend to keep my cars a long time - currently driving 92 Lexus AS 300. Would appreciate any thoughts regarding long-term reliability and maintenance costs over the useful life of the turbot s. V8. Initial difference in cost is substantial but would be significantly less if I bought used. Much difference in residual value in 6-8 years? Thanks for any thoughts and input.
  • markvbmarkvb Member Posts: 1
    I wonder if anyone can steer me towards aftermarket upgrades for my A6? I bought one when
    they first became available in Winter 98. I have been happy with the performance, and deliberately chose the 2WD due to the concern with the Quattro being "underpowered". If the
    2.7T had been available at the time there would have been no stopping me. Now, to the point-
    any info out there on performance chips for the 2.8 engine, and where to look for Xenon head-
    light conversion (dealer quoting about $1500;there must be a cheaper way). Markvb
    Mark,

I have three places that I'd recommend looking at for chipping. Not sure really where you'd go for the Xenon headlights.

1.) Go to http://www.audiworld.com/ then go to the forums and look in the performance forum. Scroll through the list and you will see many references to chipping. Somewhere in one of these forums, you might also find info on the headlights. Possibly in the A6 forum.

2.) Try this link on chipping FAQ and vendors:
    http://audihq.boom.net/index.php3?c=faq/Chipping_Basics/index&p=info

3.) Another chipping site:
    http://www.chip-tuning.com/usa/main/mainmenu.html

Just out of curiosity, who told you that the Quattro under powers the 2.8?! The HP (200 @ 6000 RPM) and torque (207lb/ft @3200) are the same for both. Now what is true is that the front trak has a 0-60 in 8.8 while the Quattro is 9.3 but that alone doesn't tell the tale of the Quattro being "underpowered". While I realize you probably did your homework before buying, I just a little surprised. The Quattro system is one of the best things about the Audi!

Good luck in your after market quest.

Rick
    00 2.7T
    Ebony Pearl/Onyx
    Sport/Cold/Convenience
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Granted, the Quattro system is the greatest, but it DOES add a lot of weight to the already solid A6. I believe that this what markvb is referring to. I live in L.A. and the many advantages of the Quattro system would be wasted here. I would go for the Frontrak (sp) and save the weight, like mpuzach. I had 4 FWD Audis in the past, and all were just fine and a joy to drive.
  • rjsenrjsen Member Posts: 30
    If you really want to boost your performace, PES (www.pes-tuning.com) makes a supercharger for the 30V 2.8 V6. Supposedly this will take you up to 295hp, which should make the car damn fast.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    Turbocharger technology on automobile engines is now a pretty mature technology and isn't, in itself, a big longevity issue unless you intend to drive it very hard and ignore routine service. My son drives 110 miles every week day in a MB diesel turbo with 320K miles on it! I think ALL new Saabs now have turbos. The 2.7T engine has two turbos and they do add a lot of complexity to the engine, but mostly from the no. of added parts vs. actual operating complexity. A problem or weakness should reveal itself fairly early. If the engine goes 30K without a mechanical problem, chances are it will go 200K if maintained properly. On the Audiworld forums, engine problems reports are pretty rare (but I doubt many 2.7Ts have 25K miles on them yet).
    Actually, Jon, I DO have a quattro A6 2.8. I was close to getting a FrontTrak, but decided to go with quattro at the last minute. I figured that if I was going to get an Audi, I might as well get the feature that sets it apart from most other marques.

It's correct that the addition of quattro to the A6 2.8 affects acceleration only in that it adds to the vehicle's total weight. After 8 months and 11,000 miles, however, I can say emphatically that I find the car's power train to be fabulous. Sure, one can have a lot of fun with the added oomph provided by the 2.7T or 4.2 and they're both well worth their added costs of admission, but the 2.8Q has never left me thinking that my car is under-powered. I think it does a great job. To anyone for whom the added $$$ of the 2.7T or 4.2 puts the A6 out of reach, I'd say get a 2.8. It's no slug, and it's the closest thing to the other two rockets you can buy.
  • ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    For those of you fortunate enough to have purchased/leased a 01 A6 4.2, I'd like to get an idea of how the dealers have treated you in terms of price haggling. I have been told to expect to pay $2k - $3k over invoice, but I think a better deal can be had. I'd like to start at $1k over and move up from there. Any thoughts/experiences?

Also, has anyone purchased their A6 4.2 with the Audi 18" BBS RSII rims that are available from dealers? They list for $695 (and I'm hoping that's for a set (4) w/ tires). Any suggestions? Since I'm probably leasing, I'd rather wrap it all up in the capitalized cost rather than deal with aftermarket stuff.

Thanks!
    Sorry, Charles...they're $695 each, and that's without a tire. Price with a mounted tire is $825 each.
    I've been going around the horn for quite a while now looking at new 17" wheels. The SSR Competition or ATP Flash Sport wheels both interest me a lot. Has anyone bought these for their 2.7? Have any pics or other comments about them?

Thanks,
    Rick

00 2.7T Ebony Pearl
    Sport/Convenience/Cold Weather Pkgs
  • bznproducebznproduce Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying a 97 A6 today. One owner car w? 69000 miles. Quattro, loaded. Any concerns w/ miles? Feels solid, looks great. Audi Assured.
    Most participants here drive the current generation A6 (1998 model year and newer), so you might not get the answers you're looking for.

I suggest that you visit the A6 forum at http://www.audiworld.com and post your question to the attention of "Muhammad". He has a car very similar to the one you're considering. Muhammad visits the site daily and is always willing to help people with previous generation A6s.

- Mike

• dmallinderdmallinder Member Posts: 35
    OK I've scanned most of this board and found surprisingly little on this topic. I'm considering the A6 ( vs Lexus ES300 and Seville - can't do RWD in MN - I find the 4matic E class way overpriced and plasticky ). Haven't driven the Audi yet so looking for some upfront advice before I do as well as any first hand input from owners. Anything would be appreciated

A fully loaded 2.7T isn't that far from 4.2 pricing and if I'm going to splurge that much the additional 4-5K won't kill me. Does anyone have any insight on comparison between the two and how they compare to other FWD or AWD luxury cars in the 35-50K range ?

Here's what's important to me in order of priority ( I realize your priorities all differ ).

Construction quality - quietness, fit/finish NVH above all.

Reliability - Turbo problems ? Audi rep vs Lexus etc.

Performance - not a speed nut but I like plenty of passing/merging power and effortless cruising.

Comfort, esp shoulder room - I'm a large weightlifter type who goes 250 plus at 5'10. Seville definitely scores in that area but reliability a concern. Also like firm supportive seats and Caddy is mor than a tad mushy.

Safety and traction - I live in MN where the back roads are compacted ice and snow 3 mos solid and you never know when you open your door to 8" of the white stuff. Audi should win big in this area but I've done just fine with FWD in the past and everything I'm looking at has traction/skid control etc to boot. Love the Lexus GS styling but RWD is suicide here.

Aesthetics - I'm on this forum first because I like the A6 visually over the others. Unlike most of the reviewers I think the rear view is what makes it distinctive and dynamic.

Basically if someone could reassure me on reliability and long term fit/finish and smoothness I would say it's likely I'd join the A6 fold given the expectation that a test drive shows it to be as good a car as it seems on paper. Whether I'd go 4.2 or save the cash and get the even faster 2.7T depends a lot on your input on reliability and smoothness as well as test drive.

Thanks and apologies for length !

DM
    I have a 2000 A6 2.8 quattro so cannot give you a first-hand report on those factors that are specific to the 2.7T or 4.2; I can, however, share some thoughts that pertain to the entire A6 line.

First and foremost, the A6 is an absolutely first-rate car in every respect. Fit and finish are superb, with no visible flaws. Everything works exactly as it's designed to. Some owners have had minor problems, e.g. malfunctioning fuel gauges, radio frequency "drift", windshield distortion, to name a few examples, but the overwhelming majority have been successfully resolved by the dealers. I've not had a single problem in 8 months/11000 miles.

You'll get the best answers to most of your questions by driving a few different A6s. In your situation, I'd drive a 4.2, a 2.7T with Tiptronic, and a 2.7T 6-speed. You then have the option of going with and without the Sport Packages (various combinations of upgraded suspensions, tires, and wheels; all have "sport" seats that you may or may not like due to their smaller-than-standard-seat width). Each of these cars will have tons of passing power and each will cruise effortlessly.

The most commonly-reported problem I've heard regarding Audi ownership is inconsistency at the dealer level. A lot of people on the A6 forum at http://www.audiworld.com have reported "less-than-stellar" performance by their dealer service departments. (There definitely is not the consistent excellence like that provided by Lexus dealers.) A lot of this is due to Audi's astronomical growth over the past few years; many of the dealers are simply selling more cars than their service and parts departments can keep up with. In fairness, though, more and more Audi owners are sharing positive service experiences as well; things are definitely improving.

I've said it here before - the A6 is a PERFECT blend of luxury, sport, performance, handling, comfort, and value. It's a car that makes me feel good every time I drive it; it actually makes me feel younger! I can't say that for any Lexus, Cadillac, or even Mercedes.

• newspronewspro Member Posts: 2
    This is a valuable news group. Everyones comments have been very helpful in my search for an A6.
    I have located a '00 A6 2.8 Front drive, blk, celebration package and 12k miles. I think I can get it for 27K which is about my budget. Anyone have any thoughts? Good deal? It is in LA.
    Thanks.
    A 2000 A6 2.8 FrontTrak with the Preferred Equipment Package (moonroof, leather, and HomeLink, same as 2001 Celebration Luxury Package) and no additional options had an M.S.R.P. of $36,425 and an invoice price of $32,199. For such a car, $27K sounds like a reasonable deal to me.

Does the car have any additional options (e.g. Cold or Warm Weather Package, side curtain air bags, CD changer)? Also, are you sure that the car has the "Preferred Equipment Package" and not the "Convenience Package"? (It will have either one or the other.) The easiest way to tell is to check for steering wheel stereo buttons OR a memory driver's seat. If the car has either of those items, it will have the other as well as auto dimming mirrors (inside and out) and memory outside mirrors.

IF the car has the Convenience Package (yes, I know, it gets confusing!), it MIGHT also have xenon headlights, which would further increase the car's value. (Xenons were available in 2000 as a stand-alone option on any A6 EXCEPT those with the Preferred Equipment Package. Cars with the Convenience Package could be ordered with xenons.)

As you probably know, the car's warranty goes to 3 years/50,000 miles, so there's lots of time and miles left.

Regardless of the absence or presence of additional options, if the car is in good shape I'd say it sounds like a good deal. You'd probably want to have the very unforgiving black paint professionally detailed (to get rid of the tiny scratches that are probably there), but that should be about it.

Just out of curiosity, do you know why the car is for sale? On a 1 year old car, that's probably a good thing to find out if you haven't already done so.

Good luck!

- Mike
  • auformauform Member Posts: 1
    If you want to place an order for an A6, I'd advice you to hold on till June. In June the A6 is getting a facelift, making it an even better buy. These dates are European, so the NA date could be later.

Changes are:
    - Suspension will be tweaked by the Former-BMW engineer Jos Van As. He did the A2 and the new A4, and both are considered to have the best suspension in their markets. I think this 'tweaking' will include a full aluminium suspension.
    - Interior will look more youthful.
    - I think the exterior will look more aggressive, as does the new A4.
    - 2.8l V6 to be replaced by new 3.0l V6
    - 2.7T from 230hp to 250hp
    - New ESP-system
    - New Bi-Xenon lights

In '02 Audi will replace its 4.2l with a brand new one, despite the fact that the current one is far from outdated. Guess the Audi engineers were getting bored. It will feature as a 300hp unit in the Allroad, and will get two Cosworth Turbos for the 440hp '02 RS6.

dmallinder, I would go for the 2.7T. It is 20kg lighter than the V8. It has equal Torque, and is far more easily tuneable. It is also cheaper to buy, and to run.
    Reliability is not an issue. Modern Turbos are very reliable, an especially the Audi-ones. The 2.7T delivers 380hp in the RS4, without problems. And no Turbo-lag to speak off. You can chip this engine to well beyond 500hp.
    On the other hand, the V8 will be smoother. A question of comfort.

Catteeuw PJ
    Belgium
  • newspronewspro Member Posts: 2
    Mike- Thanks for the comment. It does not have the steering wheel or memory seats or a cd changer. The fellow who owned it, drove it for a year and then traded it in on a new one. The dealer is trying to move it out before the end of the month. Im going to see if the dealer will add a changer and xennons to the deal.
    Harry
    of Automobile magazine, and they refer to a new engine for the A6, a 3.5L V6, that puts out 260 HP, placing it between the 2.7T and the 4.2. Should be an interesting line-up in the next year or so.
  • stockboystockboy Member Posts: 6
    I'm about to pick up my new A6 2.7T and was wondering if the cd changer from my '93 Lexus ES 300 might fit in the A-6. Any info about this swap or which after market changer might be compatble would be appreciated.
    F.Y.I., as a worst case scenario you can buy the OEM CD changer from Clairparts (an authorized Audi parts department in Boston) for $299.95 and install it yourself in about 15 minutes. Installation is simple and the car is completely set up to accept it. You probably don't need it, though, since the car already has a dash-mounted single disc CD player that works beautifully. If you can get the dealer to throw it in at no charge, great. Otherwise, I'd wait until you have the car for awhile and decide if you really want it.

Xenons are another story. There's no cost-effective way to retro-fit the factory units into a non-xenon car. To do it correctly would cost at least $1500 (vs. $550 for the factory-installed option).
  • gemwaterloogemwaterloo Member Posts: 7
    Have researched my purchase since last October. Previously owned a 96 E320 since new. After initial niggly problems, the E320 was a pleasure to own and drive. Truly enjoyed the 75k miles and lots of smiles before trading for my new Audi. Avoided serious (deadly?) accident on I-75 with superior brakes and handling, thanks MB. NEVER LIKED SINGLE WIPER BLADE! Got used to Benz unfriendly placement of P/W and C/C switches, but am delighted with set up of new Audi controls. I drove everything comparable and the Audi won out. I can only hope the long term reliability and build quality of the Audi matches my experience with the Benz and I will be a happy convert. Judging by the reports I have read in Audi World and on this site, I think there is a good chance. I will post results of initial satisfaction in a few weeks,
    Harry & stockboy,

stockboy, that changer you have likely won't work. The only changers that I know of that are compatible with the Audi head unit are Panasonics and it's only a few that are. Check out Clair.com and compare the Audi OEM model on their site with yours. If it's not the same but is a Panasonic you MIGHT be able to buy a converter. See my notes below to Harry about the one at autotoys.com

Unfortunately Harry, I believe that newspros's comment about there being no easy way to retro fit the Xenon headlights is correct. It's much more cost effective to get as an option than it is as an after market. Since you're getting the car used, I think you're going to have to pony up a good chuck of cash if you really want them. On the changer, I disagree with newspro's response on two fronts. One, I would get the changer although I realize that is a matter of opinion. For some (such as newspro) a single proves to be adequate. My ride to work requires highway driving and if I decided to not listen to morning radio, I found it a hassle to change CDs. It's not a whole lot of fun to reach into the passenger seat, fish through the CD wallet and exchange with the one already in the player while driving at 75MPH. Is it really THAT big a deal? No, but I didn't like taking my eyes off the road to do it. It's MUCH simpler now. Like I said though, matter of opinion. Now on the second front that I disagree with him, I don't believe it's a matter of opinion. IF you decide you want a changer, go to WWW.AUTOTOYS.COM and get the OEMAUDI8 for $195 (no tax, free shipping). It's a Panasonic 8 CD changer that comes with an adapter for compatibility with the Audi head unit. There have been some who have doubted getting this one over the OEM from Clair. I have no idea why. I have it and I can tell you, it works, it's $100 cheaper and it's 8 CDs instead of six (and yes all 8 play). The ONLY drawback is that is slightly narrower than the OEM. It took me about 15 minutes more time to figure out a way to get it to fit into the bracket. Unless you’re a "Melvin on the job", it's easy.

Good luck,
    Rick
    00 2.7T Ebony Pearl
    Sport/Convenience/Warm Weather Pkgs
    I just want to clarify, Rick, that the comments you attributed to "newspro" were really made by me ("mpuzach"); they were in response to newspro's questions. I'm pointing this out only because there's no point in anyone else taking the heat for things that I said!

Regarding the CD changer, I agree with your point of view that it adds a lot of convenience. I didn't know if newspro was aware that the A6 already had a single-play in-dash unit and was merely suggesting that, if he has any doubts whether or not he wants/needs a changer AND would have to pay for it himself, he may want to live with the car for awhile before deciding.

Finally, I don't question your point that your changer of choice works. If it does everything that it's supposed to do for $100 less than the OEM unit, great. (Do you have steering wheel stereo controls? If so, do they work with your changer?) My personal objections are perhaps trivial, nonetheless here they are:

1. Although I know you disagree, when I looked at the Autotoys web site (per your earlier recommendation), I got the impression that they were trying to "fool" the public into thinking that the changers are OEM when in fact they're not. I don't know if that was their intent or not, but that was my interpretation of their heavy use of "OEM" in their descriptions. That impression caused me to lose trust in them.

2. I simply prefer to keep my car "OEM". It's nothing more than a personal preference. Any add-ons e.g. wheels, suspension modifications, splash guards, etc. to my car will be OEM UNLESS there's something that I want to add for which no acceptable OEM part is available (e.g. speakers, amplifiers).

I hope this clears things up.
    Mike,

Sorry for misrepresenting you (and newspro). I guess I didn't follow the thread closely. Don't mean to put words in anyone's mouth.

One assumption I made was that Harry's current car had a CD player in it so he'd know what the pros and cons of a single player are. Bad assumption to make I suppose. If his car doesn't have it, then I agree that he doesn't need to be in a hurry to purchase a changer. Even though my previous car had a single player, I waited a while to purchase the changer so I'm hearing what your saying. Wait a while and see if the single is sufficient. I did mention that while it was my choice to get one, it was a personal preference.

On the Panasonic 8-disk..."Yes", all the steering wheel controls work with it. The only issue seems to be that the "random" function doesn't work and I'm not one to use it with a changer anyway.

On keeping OEM...I also can understand where you are coming from here. To a degree, I feel the same way. I'm willing to make some concessions such as the changer (since it's in the trunk and I don't foresee any future compatibility issues) and with wheels. While I do like the OEM wheels and the Audi rings, I'm not so into them that they can't be replaced. As a matter of fact, I just upgraded from the 16" OEM wheels to 17" SSR Competition wheels! They cost more than I wanted to pay but are very nice looking, are extremely durable forged wheels and each are only 14.9lbs (VERY light). If anyone is interested, I'll post a pic when I get them on (they haven't arrived yet).

Later,
    Rick
    00 A6 2.7T Ebony Pearl
    Sport/Convenience/Cold Weather Pkgs
  • sixtoferrosixtoferro Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 A6 2.7T with about 5700 miles on it. I have not had any problems with the car, and so far could not be happier.

However, a few nights ago, driving back from work, as I got to the end of the highway off-ramp and waited at the red light, I noticed a very slight vibration coming from the engine. Vibration may be the wrong word. It was more like a bump from the engine, and it happened every few seconds. As soon as the light turned green, I was able to drive off, and never felt it again. However, when I got home, I checked the engine (for what I know of it), and it felt fine, sounded fine, and there were no weird smells coming from it. I checked the oil level, and it was a little low, but within the range recommended by the owner's manual. Has anyone had any similar experiences?

I have to take the car in for it's 6 month/8000 mile oil change in a few weeks. Don't these intervals sound too far apart? In my previous Saab Turbo, I was kinda religious about the 3000 mile rule. I feel I am causing damage to the engine with oil this old. Is there a reason for the intervals being so spaced out other than to save money?
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    Sounds like your engine misfired briefly. I wouldn't worry about it if it happened to me and didn't happen again. Doubt it would be related to your oil level. Personally, I don't think 8K is too much, or even 10K as in post 2001 models, particularly if you use Mobil 1. If you're concerned about your engine, you could take it in and see if there are any error codes.
    As part of a three day Audi Driving experience, I was fortunate enough to visit Audi headquarters in Ingolstadt, Germany. We dined with Audi execs, got a tour of the factory and Audi Forum (a showroom of the currently available Audi cars) and a visit to the newly opened Audi Museum.

This visit was then followed by two days of driver training (on ice) in 2002 Audi A4 quattro's with the 2.5TD engine and sport package.

While I am not claiming to know everything that is happening (as it pertains to the US market), I would be happy to answer any questions I can pertaining to Audi's products.

We were able to meet with Audi North America responsible marketing types who did tell us that there were some new products coming to the US (one of them they would NOT tell us about -- I hope it is an S6 [and yes I do know about the S6 Avant version]).

The A4 2.5TD is virtually impossible to identify as a TD engine'd car. Great torque and horsepower (exceeding the 1.8T in horsepower and exceeding the 3.0V6 in torque). Also I saw, up close and personal the S6 -- it DOES have a 6 spd manual transmission.

Keep your questions/comments at the general level -- I do not have the memory for the specifics such as horsepower @ RPM, etc. For example, I know the 2.5TD has 180hp but I do not know at what RPM level, sorry.
    I was reading the postings over the past 8 days and notice someone who is still curious about the differences between the two vehicles -- there are many discussions in the previous musings from several people.

But, if you have a specific question, shoot -- I am on my second A6 4.2 in as many years. I extensively test drove both the 2.7T and 4.2 before trading in my 2000 A6 4.2 on a 2001 model 4.2. I would be happy to address your questions, if I can.

They are both great cars -- but there are differences that are worth it to some and not quite worth it to others.
  • alcohenalcohen Member Posts: 10
    Why did you trade in a 2000 4.2 for a 2001?
    Al:

This is "easy." First, I loved the 2000 A6 4.2. Second, I wanted ESP, sport suspension and sat nav. Third, the Audi Loyalty program allowed me to "trade" in my 17 month old (on a 27 month lease) 2000 and "drive off the lot" with no money out of pocket -- with a thirty month lease requiring only 29 payments.

The main reason, frankly was the ESP -- I would not buy a car without all-wheel-drive, ABS, airbags (all around) and now ESP -- I had been to the 2000 Audi driving school and had had first hand experience with ESP and both my wife and I traded in -- "immediately" -- our 2000 Audi's (hers a 2000 180hp TT quattro -- on a 2001 225hp TT quattro). Audi made it so easy by allowing us to virtually cash free do the deals -- so we "traded up" in features and performance and both ended up with top of the range models, both equipped with ESP and sat nav and factory phones etc., etc.

Like I said, it was "easy." And because of the ESP, we think "wise."
  • tmanlawtmanlaw Member Posts: 17
    I just picked up my new A6 2.7T: Ming Blue w/ Melange Interior; PAW; PBS; PPL; PPX; PSK; and 4x4. Replaces my Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd (V8). I want to thank all those who have posted on this message board, as the information I obtained was most helpful to me in making my decision as to what I wanted. I agonized over the 17" sport package (PST), but didn't want to wait 2+ months, and my dealer knocked another $500 off invoice for the 16" sport package (PSK), which was $500 less to begin with, and which came with Dunlop SP 9000's, which is what I wanted. I would have preferred the 17" wheels, but I'm happy just the same. I paid a total of $1500 over invoice (in Seattle). I could not be more pleased or excited with this car. This is without doubt the finest automobile I have ever owned, and I've owned some nice ones in my days. For those of you still trying to decide, I would recommend the 2.7T over the 2.8 if you can afford it, but I don't think the differences between the 2.7T and the 4.2 justify the nearly $5,500 increase in price. Consider me an Audi convert, and thanks again to all.
  • mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    So what did you think of the 2002 A4? Ride, handling, quietness, room etc. How did the TD feel powerwise. How would you catagorize the overall refinement of the car. I currently have a 1.8T quattro A4
  • sixtoferrosixtoferro Member Posts: 13
    Let me get this right? Audi Financial Services will buy out your lease with one year left and put you in a new Audi with no cash up front? Is this something that Audi offered, or was it something your dealer did? I would be very interested in this. My 2.7T is only 6 months old, but I would be very interested in upgrading to a 4.2 in a few years. I have a 39 month lease. This would be very cool. I didn't know they did that. That I know of, only Lexus does that.

Could you please let me know if that was something Audi of America offered, or did you ask them to do that for you? Did your payments increase by much?

Thanks for any info.

SJF
  • ebrodskyebrodsky Member Posts: 7
    Mark,

In posting 746 you mentioned your factory phone. I bought (I should say my company bought) the Audi/Motorolla analog phone that is installed in the armrest of my '00 2.7T 6M and that works beautifully with the steering wheel controls and the information display. Is this the phone that you referred to in posting 746? Is it analog?

Eric