Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6

Comments

• sixtoferrosixtoferro Member Posts: 13
    Congratulations on the new car. I am sure you will love it. I am crazy with my 2.7T. Such a better choice than the 528i I was considering. My father is a Grand Cherokee faithful (he's on his 4th V8 Limited), and is in love with my car. You'll enjoy it immensely.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    FYI - You can trade in your leased car at any time to any dealer. They will pay off your old lease and either give you credit, or add the amopunt you owe to cost of the car for your new lease.
    You should always try to lease the car with $0 cash out of pocket for the drive off. The monthly payments may be higher, but the car lease is a low interest loan (7-8%), and if you use the down payment money to pay off some high interest credit cards, you will be many dollars ahead.

Also, You can sell your leased car at any time to a 3rd party. He pays off the bank, and you may pay a transfer fee. My cars are always in mint condition with low miles, and I have gotten up to $2500 back selling my car just before the lease expired.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    Lease Question:

My wife and I, in 2000, were both (but not at the same time) able to trade in 2000 model Audi's and drive off the lot without "penalty."

My wife had a 180HP 2000 TT that she had a 24 month lease on (payment was $650+/mo); she ordered a 2001 225HP TT with all possible options after having the 2000 for about 2+ months -- (we specified the car must have a build date that would make it come equipped with ESP). At the time -- early 2000, our dealer informed us of the "Audi Loyalty Program" -- this program is from Audi Financial (and it has expired as far as I know on 12/31/2000). The Loyalty program allowed for the re-purchaser of an Audi (who had used Audi Financial for a lease) to have the first month's payment (up to $800) be made by AFS and the security deposit (if any) waived.

The new 2001 TT came in in July 2001 -- we "drove off the lot" in her new TT and the following happened:

1. The 2000 lease was "forgiven" -- there were no penalties of any kind (we had made 7 of 24 payments).

2. A new, 30 month lease was issued and Audi Financial made the first payment (leaving 29 payments to be made -- and the first one 31 days in the future). The new payment was about $50.00 higher, but the car was almost $4000 higher MSRP.

3. Since we had not made any previous security deposit, there was no refund and none required.

4. We paid a $50.00 plate fee.

Now, on my 2000 Audi A6 4.2:

I ordered the 2001 4.2 in July or August (with a $200 good faith deposit). Based on the time I ordered it I new it would not come in until after Thanksgiving. My payments were due each month on the third week of the month. I asked the dealer if I was eligible for the Audi Loyalty Lease promotion -- and was told "yes." I also asked the dealer if I should try to sell my car or use www.swapalease.com to "get out of my lease." The dealer told me that based on the time the new car would come in, I would probably be pretty close to being "OK" -- and besides they wanted my car on their used car lot. (note: I have purchased 24 Audis since 1978 from the same dealer -- and have "sold" at least another dozen or so to friends and co-workers -- and the dealer knows it.)

The car came in and was ready to be picked up by December 21, 2000. My then current payment on the 2000 was about $950.00/month (27 month lease originally). The 2001 was stickered at $56,000+ (almost $4,000 more than my 2000). The new term of the lease was 30 months, the new payment was about $60.00 more per month than the old one -- the dealer kept my deposit and made me pay the difference between the payment amount and $800 (which was the maximum payment the Audi Loyalty program would permit). So I drove off the lot for about $500 out of pocket and 29 payments due -- I did not have to pay a penalty for the 2000 A6. I am pleased with the A6 (wish it had a stick shift), am pleased with the dealer and am pleased with the "financial deal."

Phone:

I ordered the Audi "factory phone" which has the controls in the steering wheel; my wife has an Audi factory phone in her TT and we bought a "family plan" from Verizon wireless. She pays $49.95 per month for 1800 minutes usage and for $10.00 a month more I get to "share" her minutes (and I have a totally separate phone number). The phone is analog. I also have a digital phone that I purchased from Verizon and it has call forwarding and "air share" -- when I drive, I forward the wireless phone (which is the number I give to everyone) to my car phone and turn off the hand held wireless phone. Then when someone (my office) calls the wireless digital phone, my dashboard lights up "INCOMING CALL" -- it works great and allows me to be virtually hands and eyes free while using the phone -- the programmable feature of the Audi phone is great. If the laws change as I am almost certain they will -- only those that have hands and eyes free mobile phones will be allowed to drive and talk at the same time (just like in Germany). I am very pleased with the phone, and unlike digital phones it virutally never has a drop out!

2002 A4

I would call this car an A5 if there was such a thing -- it was quiet, sturdy, handled GREAT and with the high torque and high horsepower 2.5TDI (with a 6 speed manual!) it was a major step forward in Audi-dom!

That's my story.
  • matt00matt00 Member Posts: 32
    I am iterested in either buying or leasing an Audi A6 . Can someone tell me what is a fair price to pay for one. What have others paid? Also, I would consider leasing the car as well! Is there any special lease deal currently avaliable?
    Thanks, Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Matt
  • cubanaudicubanaudi Member Posts: 17
    Matt, I used to buy my cars, but since 1995, I have always leased cars. I find it much more convenient, being that I want a new car every 2-3 years. If you want to hold onto a car longer, buy it. The lease payments are usually less compared to a 60 month loan. You don't need to put much as start, and at trade-in time, there is no hassle. Also, resale value is not your problem.

I drive a 2000 A6 2.7T with a 6 speed, leather, convenience package, sunroof, sport package, xenons. Pretty much everything except the sat-nav system and the cold weather package. The sticker was $44,975, the dealer sold it for $41,600. I pay $635/month plus tax, with $1K at start (incl. first month payment) for 36 months.

Good luck.
  • ctorreyctorrey Member Posts: 64
    The lease on my A4 2.8Q is up in a few short months and I am considering the A6 4.2. I've done a ton of research and will be visiting a few dealers over the next few days.

Despite all of the great info out there, I have been unable to get a sense for how the negotiations for this auto will go as this is a rare model (compared to other A6's). I have a feeling that the A6 4.2 is not as popular as it once was due to the wild success of the 2.7T (fingers crossed). I am hoping to land one for no more than $2k over invoice on a standard 36 month, 12k mile lease. I'm figuring a residual of roughly 54% and a money factor equivalent of 5-7% APR.

Does this sound reasonable? What was your experience with the dealers? Also, how do they treat returning customers (especially those with near mint, low mileage A4's coming off lease)?

Thanks for any insights or suggestions you may have.
  • lmgottslmgotts Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

I ordered an A6 4.2 in mid-December. I couldn't find any with all of what I wanted (basically every option except the phone). I would have been flexible on colors, but there were simply no sports suspensions to be had. So I wait.

My dealer reports we missed the January build, and are in the queue for a February build. Does anyone have any experience with an Audi build wait, and when I might expect delivery? I don't know what to expect for shipping time... Am purchasing from the West Coast (Bay Area).

Time is sure going slow these days!!

Any experiences with the Sports suspension?

Many thanks!
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Here are the key dates relative to my 2000 A6:

January 24th: Ordered car from CarOrder.com
    January 25th: CarOrder.com ordered car through Rector Motors
    April 1st: Car was completed
    May 8th: Car was placed on board ship (no explanation for why it sat for so long)
    May 14th: Ship sailed
    May 22nd: Ship arrived (San Diego)
    May 26th: Car arrived at dealer

As you can see, the process didn't exactly break any speed records. My guess is that your car will be built during the second half of February. Once it's completed, it should show up at your dealer in 30-45 days.
    I started ordering Audi cars back when they were still called 4000's, 5000's then 80's, 90's 100's and 200's -- then of course follwed by the "A" cars. Audi cars ordered from a dealer -- in my experience -- will take 4 to 5 months to get from the day you order (and this appears to be based on the "build date vs. order date" difference.) Sometimes the difference between one day can add 30+ days to actual delivery. We ordered a 2000 TT in September 1998 and did not receive it until late November 1999. We ordered a 1997 A8 in May 1996 and picked it up in November 1996. Recently both my wife and I ordered new Audi's -- my wife's TT took almost exactly 5 months, my A6 4.2 a little over 4 months.

I have taken to "begin the ordering process" anywhere from 6 to 12 months prior to actual delivery, and generally lease the cars for 24 - 36 months periods.

The 2001 TT 225HP Coupe was MSRP - $1,000. The 2001 A6 4.2 (with ALL options except CD changer and Pearl White Paint) was MSRP - $3,500.

Getting an Audi exactly as YOU want it is, in my experience, virtually impossible -- unless you are willing to make many compromises (more than color combinations). This "class of car" (whatever that means) is not purchased off the lot. And, my BMW friends tell me that the same is basically true of their cars (the only exception being the 3 series, which is probably about the same experience folks have with the A4 1.8T series, which does seem to be -- at some level -- "in stock" at most Audi dealers [we have 2 dealers in Cincinnati]).

My 2001 A6 4.2 has the sport package, my 2000 A6 4.2 did not (but it did have the 17" wheel/tire option with Dulop SP9000's) -- the difference on the freeway is sublte, the difference on "the twisties" is not -- the car corners much better with the sport suspension, turn in is crisper at almost any speed. The cornering limits of the car appear to be higher -- in that the body roll is minimized compared with the standard suspension. The sport seats are great -- I am 6' tall @190 lbs -- yet some people claim that they have problems allegedly because they have "big butts." The car could use slightly less power steering boost and for my taste could have a lock to lock that could be one-half turn less (but this IS a nit).

If I had my magic wand, I would have a 6 speed manual or the rumored 6 speed Tiptronic (the multi-tronic trans apparently is not ready for the high torque engines yet.)

My dealer has an S8 on the lot, an S4 and an S4 Avant (customer orders, I presume) -- beats me why there is apprently NO ROOM for Audi USA to bring the S6 (saloon, not avant) to our shores. The S8 was MSRP'd @ $78,000+ -- seems to me that jumping from $50,000+ to $80,000 (which is the spirit of the A6 4.2 to S8) is missing a big share of the market. Having had an A8 that I "tricked out" with a Joe Hoppen S8 suspension kit, I can tell you that the A8 is HUGE and that the S6 would be, for my tastes, just right.

Goldilocks, signs off.
  • gjo11gjo11 Member Posts: 7
    I am considering buying an 2001 A6 but have a couple of questions. 1. Is it unreasonable for me to expect that this car will have excellent traction and control on snow and ice? I am moving out of a Lexus RX300 sub and I am hesitant to give up the great control it provided. Can anyone give me idea of what to expect from Audi 4.2 with stock tires? Should I request dealer to switch out rims and tires to all season radials(16" 2.7t). How does this car perform in snow covered roads? I see that the Powertrain warranty is 50,000 miles. Lexus GS430 is 70,000. Is this a concern. I put 20-25k/year on car. #2. I am hoping that Audi will provide me with highway cruiser feel of softness of ride along with performance of sport sedan. Is this possible without tweaking the car? Can this car provide with smooth comfortable ride on highway while giving me the enjoyment of sporty performance? Lastly, any experience with the navigation system. I see it is pretty bare bones and small compared to Lexus full color display with touch controls. Does the Audi system work on such a small scaled view? Thanks in advance for comments.
    Thanks Mark,

I have most of the same quibbles about the car as you; sure wish that I could have ordered a 6 speed, or at least had the tiptronic controls on the steering wheel. I read that the S6 Avant will be sold here beginning November, but am wondering as well about why no S6 Sedan. I'm also not perfectly happy with the choices available for interior's. I want a black interior, but was forced to order a stitching pattern that was not my first choice. I'm 6' about 220, so hopefully I will be happy as you with the seats. Also agree re the power steering and turns...

Anyway, the general news about order/delivery times was pretty disappointing!

So I wait.
    With respect to traction -- the quattro system is All-wheel drive. You should not have any more concern about the traction issue than you did with your RX300. The only issue I can imagine is "with which tires" will you be making your forays onto the snow and ice? If you had all-season tires on the RX300 and you have summer tires on the quattro you may have some issues; the quattro should be ordered with ESP (if it is not one of the models that has that feature standard). You may find that you do not need winter or all season tires -- or, based on the weather, you may find summer and winter wheel/tire combinations a prudent choice. What would apply to your RX300 would, for all practical purposes, apply to the A6 quattro.

With respect to the Navigation system: I have it, it works, it is excellent, it is NOT perfect. In fact it seems to use the exact same software (but not hardware) as the latest and greatest Sat/Nav system on the S class Mercedes (even the woman's voice is IDENTICAL).

Audi Navigation Plus is, so far, only available in non-North American countries. I have never received an "intelligent" explanation why Audi sells the product with the nifty color, full graphical screen in other countries. Yet, the directions it gives, the commands it speaks ARE the same on "Audi Navigation-Lite" as they are on the full-blown system.

I like it, I use it and I think for what it is (non full color screen, etc.) they should charge less. I would buy it again and I would buy the full color one if it becomes an option.

But, unless you need (and I can't imagine why "need" would be the word) the full color screen, the Audi system performs the tasks of getting you from A to B impressively. Oh yea, I think the system should be DVD based, instead of CD based but since I would generally fly if I had to go beyond the map that I have, perhaps that too is just another nit that I am picking.

I wrote a letter to Audi about the sat nav system "complaining" that we deserve the option of lite or full, but so far, no reply.

If you need (want?) a navigation system, this one works well. If you want the nifty color system 'cause it looks cool and functionality is secondary, skip it.
  • rwishrwish Member Posts: 20
    I've heard quite a bit of talk on the ESP option lately from this board. I understand what it does and can tell from those with it that they are very pleased but am still a bit confused as to it's offering. During what year did this option become available and for what models? What is the cost of the option?

Thanks,
    Rick
    00 2.7T Ebony Pearl
    Sport/Convenience/Cold Weather Pkgs
    Rwish:

Check out message #711 for a succinct explanation of ESP. The answer that is under the heading "normal" driver should be read with great care -- it is the reason that this technology is almost a miracle. Perhaps the following enhancement will help. This is a bit of editorial enhancement of message #711:

Normal driver version (reality):

ESP is a wonderful invention (one of the best, ever) that keeps you in control of your vehicle at all times in all conditions. In ice, snow, or rain, it prevents fishtailing and spinouts. It allows you to drive normally in very low-traction situations, and not worry that you'll wind up in a ditch. There's simply no reason not to have it. And, in the future, no EXCUSE other than a death wish, not to get it! You MUST have this technology from this point forward -- do not even consider for one second ANY vehicle that you plan to put friends, family or any living creature that you wish to live in a car without this technology -- riding lawn mowers do not need this technology, all other "road" vehicles need it -- it is in the same category as seat belts, air bags, crash worthiness and anti-lock brakes. Do not even bother looking (in the future) at any vehicle (trucks, mini-vans, SUV's etc.) without this technology. Clear?!?

Technically speaking, ESP is simply an on-board computer that selectively brakes any combination of wheels when loss of traction is detected (it also can do this when the brakes are NOT being touched and can limit engine power, too). My take is that since it can be turned off, there's no reason to avoid it. Oh yes, even today on an Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Subaru, or Volvo -- the MSRP is about $500.00 -- next year, it will be cheaper -- it is inexpensive, that is.

You just hit a button to disable it for spirited driving, but it's there if you just want an uneventful drive home when it's icy. Remember, though, that it's not a cure-all -- if you have zero traction at all wheels, nothing can help you.

The "option" has been available -- in some form -- since 1995 (but not on Audi's this early, Mercedes had it first according to the Bosch literature available on the www). 2000 was the first year Audi's had this technology in the US -- I thought the 1999 USA A8 had it as well, but I can't get confirmation of this "fact."

With thanks to message #711.
  • len13len13 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I've been reading all about A6's here for the past day or so. Having just bought one, I wanted to make sure I got a good deal. I came here originally to make sure the inv prices the dealer quoted me were accurate, and I got hooked on the chat board, and I thought you could help me. I bought a 2001 A6 2.8Q with the celebration Lux pkg, cold weather pkg , Bose stereo(I now know it was a mistake, but it came in the car I liked), and rear side air bags. It was a demo model with 3000 miles(test drives, etc). All warranties are in tact. I paid 400 over invoice for it. It has no dings, etc. When I picked it up, it looked brand new inside and out. I guess I just want to make sure I did the right thing by buying a demo and saving some money. What do you think?

Also, the rear side air bags. If I put a car seat back there, are they going to be dangerous? Do I need to disable them? Can I?

BTW, its silver, with black interior and looks GREAT. At first I didn't like the body style, but it really grew on me, and now I love it!!

Thanks for your input. I look forward to participating in these discussions as I drive my A6.
  • vkjvkj Member Posts: 67
    Especially if you got a car that's equipped the way you want, $400 over invoice for a 2001 demo sounds reasonable to me. As vkj said, dealers are typically commanding anywhere from $1200 to $1800 over invoice on 2.8s.

At this point, you have a great car that you like. Enjoy it, and don't look back. You won't regret it.
  • dmallinderdmallinder Member Posts: 35
    It was I who asked about 2.7T vs 4.2. I really couldn't see much on the issue scanning this thread. I did however get some great help and info from one or two people off the board.

I'd be grateful if you would add your opinion. I have not driven the 4.2 but have the 2.7T. I found it to have all the power I needed and be a very smooth car in most respects. Engine noise was not intrusive ( my fear for the smaller engine ) and most everyone has reassured me on turbo reliability at Audi. However there was significant - to my mind excessive - wind noise on the demo ( 1200 miles ) at 70mph and up. All doors and windows were tightly closed. That and a slight rattle and squeak coming from around the rear seat armrest were the only flaws I could find.

Now from what I can tell the 4.2 would give me little extra from an equally equipped more or less 2.7T and cost about 6-7K more but the opinion of a current owner would be appreciated. Ironically my decision may get even trickier as I discovered the allroad is about two inches wider shoulder room ( I'm a large fellow and this makes a difference to me although I found the A6 very accommodating ). I like the practicality of a wagon too but being a NVH freak I have my doubts about the open space and roof rack.

I intend to drive the 4.2 and the allroad this weekend and any tips would be appreciated especially as to why you see the value in the 4.2.

Incidentally are you by any chance connected to a screw machine company in N Kentucky ?
  • gs4rx3gs4rx3 Member Posts: 25
    I traded my Lexus GS400 in for a 2000 A6 4.2 about a month ago. I also have a Lexus RX300. Here's a few answers to some of the questions I've seen on the board, especially gjo11's.

My GS400 was horrible in snow and wet weather here in Chicago. Fortunately, we've had 3 mild winters in a row until this year, so it wasn't an issue. However, this year has been terrible, so I traded the GS400 for a less than 1 year old used, fully-loaded (including Nav) 2000 A6 4.2, without ESP.

I tested both the 2001 with ESP and the 2000 without it and, no offense to markcincinnati, but I really didn't think it made a significant difference. I even took both cars to large parking lots filled with 6-12+ inches of snow for test drives and found that while it is nice that power can be cut and brakes applied without driver intervention, the benefit was not great enough to purchase a newer model. If you can get ESP at no extra cost, then get it. I just think it is much more valuable on rear wheel drive cars than all wheel drive cars.

As for traction control vs. an RX300, the quattro system is shockingly similar in performance. In fact, with the exception of the extra clearance the RX300 provides in deep snow, an A6 performs the same in the snow. FYI: I have the stock 16" Dunlop 5000's.

As for the rides, Lexus and Audi are very different. I am convinced that no Audi is as quiet and smooth as comparably priced Lexus models. I notice the cabin is noisier at all speeds (including wind/air flow noise). The transmission is also not as smoooth. But you do get a better sense of the road and handling with an Audi, which is entertaining having driven the cushy Lexus suspensions for the past few years.

Markcincinnati and Imgotts are on the money with respect to the nav and other nits. One thing to remember with the color maps you get on other cars is that not all the streets are labeled on the map, making it less valuable than you might think. However, having a basic map layout for reference is nice. I do commend Audi w.r.t safety in that looking at the info on the dash is much safer than down by the radio. A DVD based system would be much more efficient.

Hope that helps. I will say that I am satisfied with my Lexus GS400 for A6 4.2 swap, even though I've lost almost a second in 0-60 speed and the comfort of Lexus reliability. It's just not practical driving a RWD vehicle in Chicago winters.
  • len13len13 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the input on the deal I got. I didn't mention that I bought it in Greenwich, CT, where everything is overpriced, so I feel doubly happy with my deal. I have one other question. For some reason, I thought that the 2.8 came with ESP standard. Wrong. Is there a way to install it at the dealer, or did it have to be a factory install? I would really like to have it. I know you guys love it, but is it that imperative that I get it? Also, any info on the safety of the rear airbags with a baby seat would be appreciated. While I don't have kids yet, I plan on keeping this car, and babies will be in my future.
  • gjo11gjo11 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info on the comparison. The one thing that I have been impressed with on the rx is the fit and finish of the components. I have had mine for about 3 yrs and have not had a single rattle or squeek. I am wondering if I can expect the same satisfaction with Audi. Also, anybody out there have feedback on overall reliability on A6 4.2. Consumer Report blast it for poor reliability and can't recommend. I don't want a car that is in shop every month! Does Audi service have same pampering that Lexus thrives on?(i.e. loaner vehicles, p/u and deliver, etc)
    No, ESP cannot be installed on a car that does not have it "from the factory" -- or better said, it is not available to be installed on a car without it from the factory -- Audi did offer a retrofit on TT's -- but financially they had to take it in the shorts. It is complicated, so they say, to retrofit this technology and since it is only $500 MSRP(from the factory) -- it would be hard to justify the "real cost of a retrofit" for Audi (or for you).

====

In spite of my "passion" for ESP, I somewhat agree agree with gs4rx3 on his/her comment that it is less important on an AWD vehicle. It is tough, however to "appreciate" ESP on a test drive, even in a snow covered parking lot -- I still believe it is right up there with ABS -- kind of like a "super-ABS." But, even though my wife and I both traded in 2000 model Audis on 2001 Audis primarily so we could have ESP, we were able to do so with "very minimal" financial consequences. The lack of financial consequences made this ESP acquisition a virtual no-brainer. Make no mistake, I am not endorsing the product so much that I would advise anyone to take a huge financial hit (more than $1,000) just for this technology.

If you have just purchased a 2000 A6 4.2 and it does not have ESP, keep the car -- unless you can get one with ESP with no $ penalty. ESP is important -- and my "prediction" is that in 2002 or 2003 at the latest it will be "standard" equipment -- but enjoy your 4.2, you HAVE chosen wisely.

=====

In my case, I ordered a 2000 A6 4.2 sight unseen -- and in September 1999 it came in (5 months after I ordered it). At that exact moment, there were no 2.7T's to compare it with, and I had had a 1997 A8 with 17" wheels and an S8 suspension kit (from Joe Hoppen) previously. The A6 4.2 seemed to be better in every way to my A8 (except size, but in my case I thought the A8 was too big, so in a reverse sort of way, I thought the A6 was better in size, too).

When I decided to order a 2001 A6 (because of my desire to have ESP), I test drove, extensively, two A6 2.7T's -- one Tiptronic and one 6 spd manual. The 6 sp manual was fantastic -- but it lacked the "solid feel" that I had come to enjoy in my 2000 4.2. The 4.2 feels like it has more muscles, a sturdier skeleton (since we are anthropomorphizing for the moment) -- the 2.7T feels like super-boy and the 4.2 feels like super-man.

The only reason, I personally would get the 2.7T over the 4.2 is to get the 6 spd manual. Before the !@#$ hits the fan, let me clarify the other issue on the table -- MSRP. What I found was that for some reason, there appeared to be (at that moment in history) better deals on the 4.2 than on the 2.7T. Deals that minimized the LEASE PAYMENT differential between the two cars. And, since I was lease-payment shopping more than MSRP shopping, I just couldn't NOT justify the price difference. So I went with a 2001 A6 4.2 instead of the 2.7T.

The A6 4.2 is subtly more refined, subtly more agressive in appearance and just plain feels simultaneously like it is a solid block of steel (strong and heavy) while also feeling very light and agile on its "feet." When you option out the 2.7T to get it close to the 4.2 (in features and options) and factor in discounts off MSRP and lease "deals" the differences financially are perhaps not so great. Then, I once again get down to my major "complaint" -- no 6spd manual option available on the 4.2. Other than that, I'll take the 4.2 (with the above "deal" factored in) any day.

All this being said, if a loaded 6spd 2.7T dropped out of the sky into my garage -- I would proudly and gladly drive it.

If you "go with the 2.7T" -- I would strongly urge you to consider the Sport Package option that contains -- the sport suspension and seats and 17" wheel/tire configuration (with the 6spd transmission, of course).

Finally, you will not be unhappy no matter which one of these A6's you choose. Just don't think that the 4.2 is financially unjustifiable -- if you ask for a deal on the 4.2, the worst they can say is "no." Superboy, is STILL faster than a speeding bullet, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, etc. You really can't go wrong.

Oh yea, on the reliability issue -- I kept my 2000 A6 4.2 for 23,000 miles -- changed the tires at about 19,000 miles (the factory Dunlp SP9000s were showing their age -- and yes, I put SP9000's back on it) and had three sets of front rotors put on the car (the ones that came in were warped and were replaced within 1,000 miles and they were replaced with a "good set" at around 16,000 miles). Other than that, the Audis I have owned (24 of them so far) have been more reliable than my friends American and European cars and somehwhat less reliable than my other friends Japanese cars. This appears to be changing since the 1997 models however, as my Audis are not in the shop any more than my friends Toyota, Honda or Nissan producs (including Lexus, Accura, etc.) So I give the Audi's an "OK" and a comparable to virtually anything else I know of (but then again my personal experience since 1978 has been exclusively with Audis).

That's my story. . . .
    During my test drives (I only considered the 2.7T with 6 speed and the 4.2 tip) I too felt the 4.2 to have a much more solid feel. This feel was IMMEDIATELY apparent, just cruising slowly down the road. At one point I took two friends out on a test ride and they both commented on the ride quality difference as well. I suspect that this feeling has partly to do with the extra weight of the car, but it still cornered very well and I'll live with the weight - it may even smooth out those many freeway miles. It may also have to do with the modified suspension parts that are different from the other A6's. [Comments?]

The sales person which I drove with was really great, I was (and actually encouraged to be) as aggressive as I wanted on the test drive(s). As well, the test models did not have the sport suspension as I will have on the car I ordered, so I expect the handling to be excellent when I get it.

I'll really miss the 6 speed in the 4.2, but again, the tip works well if you want to deal with ratios while cornering, and I know that I'll not miss the shifting while waiting in traffic. I also love the subtle fender flares on the 4.2, they almost make the other models look slab-sided when compared next to each other.

Probably the biggest nit I had with ordering the 4.2: I'm not at all happy about the center seating position in the rear. I think that the 'rear buckets' are kind of cool, and 4 passengers will be the most I'll have most of the time, but on those occasions that there's a fifth person...if they're sitting on a hump that's one thing, but to not have a three-point belt is really, really bad. I will be reluctant to take 5 people as it's pretty silly to brag about all of the modern safety features of the car when one person is - not.

My wife really, really wanted the 6 speed and center belts in the 2.7T, but as this is going to be a lease through my company, she deferred to me for the final decision. I love her! Did I mention that I told her we could probably get a TT or some such (Boxster?) for her someday...?

Any comments about the rear air-bags and their use with a child seat in the rear? I'm in the same boat in that there are no kids now, but may be before the lease is up.

All trade-offs considered, I'm still very happily going with the 4.2. My friends will just have to drive themselves, and we'll simply have to get an S6 Avant when the kids arrive. :-)
  • gs4rx3gs4rx3 Member Posts: 25
    My RX300 is also a 1999 and it has had no problems, squeaks or rattles. My GS400 also had minimal problems. One of my main concerns moving to Audi was the reliability and service issue. I took comfort in reading all 700+ posts on this site and the many posts at Audi World that the number of problems that arise have significantly diminished over time. It appears Audi now makes a fairly high quality automobile. However, I do not believe the fit and finish will ever be as tight as that of a Lexus.

As for Audi service pampering, you'll have to negotiate that with your dealer. I was told by dealers in my area that they provide loaners for ANY service so long as you buy the Audi from them. Otherwise, they claim they follow Audi warranty guidelines, which I believe doesn't allow for loaners unless your car service takes at least [2?] hours or more. To ensure my dealer's loaner and pick-up and delivery service does not suddenly change during my ownership tenure, I had them write the loaner privilege into my contract. You should do the same.
  • randiyrandiy Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to this forum, but would really appreciate some help from anyone out there. I have reviewed 750+ postings, and have seen no mention of the problem I am experiencing. I recently purchased a preowned 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro with 9400 miles. Car is like new. During the test drive at the dealership, I heard some intermittent clicking and creaking noises (like plastic on plastic)that seemed to be coming from the driver side dash area. They seemed to disappear when the car warmed up, so I attributed them to expansion and contraction. Previous owner said they never heard anything. Dealer was confident the noises could be eliminated, and purchase was contingent on this. Dash was reset, and problem appeared to be eliminated when I drove the car prior to purchasing it. I heard nothing for the first couple of days, and now the sounds have started again. I did some checking on the AudiWorld website, and read several similar complaints, but not much in the way of answers. There was some suggestion of fixing this problem with felt, but no details were provided. Has anyone out there experienced this, and if so, what have you done about it? I am totally happy with the car in every other way, but this is very annoying! Any suggestions would be appreciated!
  • ebrodskyebrodsky Member Posts: 7
    To randiy:

I have a '00 A6 2.7T 6M with 14,500 miles and had a small vibration coming from where the headliner meets the windshield (right in front of the driver's face). I wedged a small piece of black foam rubber (which is imperceptible) into the spot where the liner meets the windshield and, presto, the problem is gone and has not recurred.

Regarding the dash noise, I occasionally get a creaking noise from what appears to be the dash area, but like you mentioned, it seems to go away once the car is warmed up. I have no permanent solution to offer you. You're not alone.

QUESTION FOR EVERYONE: I have the standard seats in my A6 (NOT the sports package). Does anyone experience a slight rocking sensation when first accelerating or when coming to a stop? The dealer checked it and found that all seat connections were tight and normal. I doubt they even checked anything! I'm going to ask them to check again at my 16,000 mile service.

Eric
  • timcartimcar Member Posts: 363
    Eric, I have about 1,050 on my 2.7T. The seats don't rock. Rockings is NOT normal, though I've heard of this defect from other posters. Can't remember what the fix might be, but it must be a pain for the dealers, as these other posters were told the same thing.
    I had the same annoying vibration as Eric. It was in the area around the visor vanity light. All I needed to do to stop the vibration was put my thumb on the headliner in the vicinity of the light. At first I thought that its source was the metal clip vibrating inside the plastic light lens. I wedged some heavy paper between the metal clip and its slot, but the vibration soon returned. I then tried groping inside the roof area behind the light, but couldn't find the source. Out of frustration, I tried a less sophisticated version of Eric's solution: I jammed a wad of terrycloth wash cloth material into the headliner and snapped the light back in place. Problem solved. Of course, I try not to tell too many people that I fixed my $40K car by jamming a rag into it.
  • mariobgoodemariobgoode Member Posts: 114
    Did you guys see the photo of the A6 in Automobile Magazine, March issue? It looks basically the same with a little bit of touch-up. Unless you own one, it is hard to tell the 2001 from the 2002. The article says it will be on sale this June. I'm waiting for more details, i.e. engine, features, etc., from the dealer. This BBS is great. I never thought I'd learn any thing more about this car, other than by reading technical manuals, publicity releases, or car magazine articles. This is real life, as best we can get it. Enjoy the ride.
  • ttdriverttdriver Member Posts: 1
    My friend owns a '98 A6 Quattro. She spends a lot of time driving and her 6 has recently developed a very troubling problem.

After a drive of about 30-45 minutes she will park the car and shut it down. After the car sits for a few minutes if she tries to restart it it will not start. The engine cranks and she has fuel and power but there is no ignition. The engine light sometimes comes on, but not always. She has verified that the gas cap is secured.

The car has been brought to Audi deals repeatedly (four times), but every time they try it it starts fine. (It has usually been sitting overnight by the time they get to it) This car is still 15K miles inside of the warranty and she would like to have the problem solved before the warranty expires.

Has anyone seen a similar problem? Please help.

Thanks
  • gemwaterloogemwaterloo Member Posts: 7
    Have owned my new 2.7T for one week and am enjoying everything about it. I am really looking forward to my annual trek to Florida in a few weeks. Two niggly features missing on my A6 that I enjoyed in my previous E320, the Audi has a 24 hour clock and no auto on/off headlights. Around town, I have been driving with the fog lights on, thinking my headlights were on, until I drive to an area without street lights. The clock must be for military or airline owners. Anyone else bothered by these shortcomings, and is there a fix for either or both?
    The clock can be changed -- dealer knows how, it may be in your owner's manual.

Headlights on "automatically" --well, there is no sensor (eye), that I know of, built into the car, that will do what you want. There are quite a few optional (free) functions that can be programmed into the car. For example, I have my door locks "automatically" engage at about 12 MPH and they auto unlock when I remove the key. You can also have the headlights come on when you turn on the windshield wipers and there are some other "features" that you can have the dealer activate -- sorry, I don't have them all memorized, the one I wanted most, the locks, took about 3 minutes for the dealer to turn on (no charge).

Another piece of trivia -- if you press the arrow on the climate control (that changes the AC to recirculate) and simultaneously press the "+" key on the climate control, the system switches temp readings between F and C. I know, I have too much time on my hands.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I need some help rationalizing from all the A6 folks out there. The local dealer finally got in a 2.7T w/6 speed. Its not my first color choice but otherwise equipped as I'd like it. While I've been waiting to see this car I drove an Acura 3.2 TL. Most of the same features but a lot less money. I know I'd buy the A6 - probably lease the Acura because I could foresee having the Audi for a long time. What story do I need to tell to convince myself the Audi is the right choice?
    The straight answer is (are):

1. 6 spd
    2. quattro
    3. ESP
    4. Performance, safety, fun factor present in the 2.7T (especially with sport pkg).

The alternative answer:

They are not in the same league -- if you want to compare something that is in the same league, yet is from Europe -- Try a fully optioned out Passat or something from Volvo or Saab. The reviews of the Acura, by the way, should we lose you, are generally good -- there is just a certain "Q" factor that the Acura does not have -- drive the Acura, then drive the Audi (on the same route). Be aggressive with both. If this doesn't do it for you -- and you are in a climate where there is "weather" the quattro alone should cinch the deal.

And, if I were you, I would lease the A6 or the Acura -- unless you can "pay cash" -- or unless you really pile on the miles every year. The technology is changing so rapidly, that you will probably want another car every 2 or 3 years NO MATTER what you get. Leasing is the second most practical way to keep current with technology -- being rich is the other.

2 cents.
  • csmabcsmab Member Posts: 9
    I read the Automobile article as well today. I don't believe the picture is of the 2002 facelifted A6. I believe the picture is of one of new models (Audi Coupe) that will be coming out in the future that the article speaks about. Does anyone have any additional info. on the 2002 A6?
    My A6 4.2 is being built this week. Agonizing wait!

Does anyone know of a GOOD shop to get windows tinted at in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Many Thanks.
  • tmanlawtmanlaw Member Posts: 17
    I too am a new owner of an A6 2.7T (about 2 weeks). My clock functions as a standard 12 hour clock, so there must be an easy solution. Mark's right--check the manual. Don't know of an easy fix for the lights.
    OK here is a solution -- the lights can be "set" to come on permanently with the ignition key -- just like in Canada. This is, in my opinion, a bad solution -- but it would sort-of accomplish what you want.

Like I said a bad solution.
  • dwpcdwpc Member Posts: 159
    I've had my 2001 2.7T since Oct. 1. I posted the following some time back on Audiworld and thought Edmunds users might benefit from my observations:
    1. My fuel costs are dramatically higher because I want to drive the damn thing so much more than my old car.
    2. My commute time from the office to home has doubled because I now have a craving to take the long way home every night.
    3. My car wash expense has increased from nil to $10 a week; I'm there every saturday AM now.
    4. My saturday mornings are shot...see above and add 90 minutes of misc. wiping, polishing, and staring.
    5. Volume and treble of wife's observations of my driving have increased dramatically..."You're driving too fast...again!"
    6. Volume and treble of wife's observations of my saturday chores have increased (see 3 and 4 above). "You've got more to do today than fuss over that car!"
    7. Internet forum participation has interested me in forbidden things...like ECU chips and 18" wheels.
    8. It has necessitated shopping for a radar detector.
    9. Parking has become a hassle 'cause I insist on parking waaaaaaay out there where no one else with common sense would park next to me.
    10. The looks it gets from younger women are making me obsess about getting in shape.

Be careful if you're considering a 2.7T; it'll ruin your life!
  • cas_audicas_audi Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 A6 2.7T; less than 2000 miles. Since the day I bought it, it has had a recurring problem as follows - after it gets warmed up and then I turn it off for a short while (such as going to the grocery store), it often (not always) will have idling and acceleration problems. It idels so low that the engine almost fails, and when I try to do mild acceleration, the engine missess severely. It has now been to the dealer 3 times (and is currently there as I write), and they really don't know what the problem is. Has anyone else had this trouble? Any suggestions? I would otherwise really like this car, but seems like a lemon.
    Over about 6 months, a number of posters have described a problem with COLD idling and running. You seem to have the opposite problem. Several of them had it fixed by having the coolant temperature sensor replaced. Their problem did not cause any error codes to appear in the diagnostic system, and the fix is apparently not "by-the-book." Might save both you and your dealer a lot of headaches to try it.
  • gemwaterloogemwaterloo Member Posts: 7
    Can not believe Audi screwed this up so badly! If you buy an Audi sold in the U.S., your clock will display on the 12 hour system. If you buy in Canada, it displays the 24 hour time. You have NO OPTION. Do they think all Canadians are airline pilots? As if that is not bad enough, U.S. cars display both MPH and KMH on the speedometer. In Canada we have only KMH. The last thing I want when I am traveling in the U.S. is to compute the speed limit to avoid getting a speeding ticket! In their infinite wisdom they did give us the option of temperature displayed in either Celcius or Farenheit. Who the hell at Audi made these decisions?
  • kmac59kmac59 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the final stages of purchasing a new car and had narrowed it down to the A6 2.7T or Lexus GS 300. I actually am leaning toward the A6 but I haven't been getting great feedback on the reliability of the car. Everything that I've heard about Lexus reliability (other than dealing with snow) is positive. Can someone give me a little more detail of the comparative reliability of the cars? I tend to keep my cars for a long time so the long term reliability is important to me. Also if I do buy the A6, how much flexibility should I expect on the price over dealer invoice?
  • jasonsdadjasonsdad Member Posts: 5
    Just a wild guess, but it sounds almost like bad gasoline. If there is water in the gas it would turn to vapor as it gets hot and then precipitate out. Sitting might cause it to collect in the fule pump or injectors and cause the problems you are describing. You might want to run the tank down as far as practical and fill up from a different station of a major national brand. There used to be some additives that would soak up extra water in gas, too, I think.
    Good Luck!
    I will go out on a limb here -- I personally do not know, nor have I actually tried to find out how to change the clock on an A6 -- but, I have been told that the clock (among many other things) can be changed. Perhaps it is one of those "hidden" features that have to be programmed in, for example, like the automatic door lock feature.

Can't remember where, but I did see a list of feature codes that may be turned on or off by the dealer. For example, when I picked up my 2000 A6 4.2, the cruise control did not function -- there was no mechanical reason, a "bit" had to be turned on by the dealer. It is supposed to be done before the dealer ever gets the car. But, it was a quick fix -- other than the slight hassle of having to turn around and drive back to the dealer to have it turned on.

I agree with the sentiment "what were they thinking?" -- but again, this is supposed to be "easy" to reprogram. The fact that is shouldn't NEED to be done still stands of course.

Apparently there are many combinations and permutations of these cars, and one computer "chip" -- the reason my 2000 A6 did not have the cruise turned on -- so I was told -- is that the cruise "bit" is different (in 2000) for cars with ESP and without -- my 2000 did not have it. Maybe it was an excuse. Maybe it was an oversight. This may explain some of these errors, but I don't think it excuses them.
    I had an ES300 and have just replaced it with a 2.7T. I love the 2.7T. I didn't love the Lexus. Lexus is just about tops in reliability and service. Audi isn't. The Lexus was designed from the ground up to be reliable. The 2.7T was designed to be wonderful to drive. The entire Lexus organization was designed to offer superlative service, and the dealers are strictly held to account. Audi dealers are spotty, don't make as much money, and AoA doesn't have much clout with them. But the 2.7T is much more enjoyable to drive, luxurious, roomy and a much better value for the money. Deals should be $1K to $1.5K over dealer invoice this time of year for the Audi. You'd have difficulty getting Lexus to knock $1K off sticker. It all depends on your priorities. Safe or fun?
  • tmanlawtmanlaw Member Posts: 17
    I purchased my new A6 2.7T off the lot in Seattle two weeks ago. Equipped with PAW, PBS, PPL, PPX, PSK, and 4x4 (rear air bags), $1500 over invoice.
    Great post, but why are you taking that beautiful new car to a car wash?! Pity its poor finish! (And you live in California, yet!)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Alto I generally agree with the author's post, this is not a fair comparison because of about a $10,000 premium in the Audios price. One should compare the A6 with the GS300. Conclusions are yet about the same. If you want luxury and reliability, great service, and resale, buy the nexus. If you prefer more road feel and a greater fun-factor and are willing to put-up with the quirks, go for the Audio
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Whoops, sorry for the typos in my previous post...that darn spell check:

Audio should be Audi and Nexus should be Lexus.