Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    MPG update... Did my PA to VA to PA trip yesterday. With 2 on board (good sized adults), running regular on the Interstate at 75-85mph--average 27.9. The return trip with 3 aboard at similar speeds with traffic we averaged 27.2.. Given the speeds I'm comfortable with that.. Interesting the difference cooler temperatures and no A/C makes.. about 1-2 MPG.. I have Goodyear Allegra tires (replaced last winter) inflated to 35 all around..
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    jason,

are the new tires any quieter than the old GAs?
  • trailtigertrailtiger Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm planning on buying a '97 es soon and have been looking at the details on older intrepids. I'm wondering why some of the 3.5L have dual exhaust but not all?
    Thanks Marcus, Indianapolis IN
    to the best of my knowledge none of the factory intrepids have ever had true dual exhaust...not even a split after the catalytic converter or muffler. are u looking at one that has been modified??
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    if you are speaking about the two pipes out the left side on some and one pipe on others , this shows what engine the car has. All 3.5 cars have two pipes out the left side and 3.3 cars one pipe.
    but it isn't true dual exhaust, right otto?
    nope just two pipes out of the rear muffler.
    Emale...Most definitely quieter, better fuel mileage, slightly better riding, but not as "sharp" handling. They should also last damn near twice as long as the Eagle GA's..
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,652
    I was pretty disappointed with the original tires on my car. They pretty much looked like racing slicks around 30,000 miles. Even though I rotated them! I didn't do it every 7K miles though...I stretched it out to every third oil change, which was more like every 9-10K

I remember the treadwear rating on them was 300. The tires I have now have a 560, so if everything's proportional, I'm hoping I get around 55-56,000 miles out of these! I forget exactly what type of tires they were. I know they're Continental, and they're a bit firmer-riding than the Eagle GA's
    My GA's went approximately 30K as well. I think, in fact, I changed them at 29K and change. There was some life left in them, but I figured I'd just get new rubber before winter.
    Picked up the Allegra's at Sam's Club and was pleased with the cost, installation, etc. Recently rotated them--after 10K--for the first and did a 4 wheel alignment. The fronts--at least to the naked eye--showed damn near no difference in wear from the rears..
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    My Stratus may have been totaled yesterday, and I may have to shop for a used car soon. I've always had an eye for the Intrepid and it's price range for a '98 model is not too far away from my '97 Stratus.

What can you Intrepid owners tell me about that year, reliability wise?

TIA
    ...the 1998 Intrepid was one of the most trouble-free launches of a new car in years. Normally, a good rule of thumb is don't buy the first new model year of a domestic, as they tend to not have all the bugs worked out.

I'm sure the tranny has been improved since 1998, but even at that time, I don't think it was much of a trouble spot anymore.

I'd say just follow general common sense here. Try to get one that's not too ragged out, and has had the maintenance kept up on. It might be a good idea to have the tranny serviced, just as a precaution. It's common for the wrong fluid to get put in these, which will cause them to fail prematurely. Make sure your mechanic uses Type 4 (9196) instead of Type 3 (7176) ATF.
    I appreciate your comments.

I do have to confess that my experience with the Stratus wasn't stellar. It had to have things fixed almost 4 times a year, from small to big ones, while it was in warranty. In the next 2 years I've had it without warranty it developed small issues that I've been postponing (like a leaky AC).

Having said this, I'm still a little wary of another Chrysler, even loving the way they look and handle. I understand that the Intrepid has had a much better dependability record than the Stratus, but is it so for a Chrysler or in its category in general?

TIA
    Look what I found on Ebay , anyone interested adding these to there Trep. These things are the best thing since sliced bread LOL

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872238768

I haven't looked in a Consumer Reports lately, but I think they rate the Intrepid okay nowadays. I know Consumer Guide gives it their "Best Buy" rating.

Here's a rundown of what I've had to do to my '00...

30000 miles: new tires, tranny service
    35000 miles: power lock actuator in driver's door replaced under warranty
    39000 miles: new front brake pads (cheap no-name brand: I learned my lesson!)
    ~43000 miles: power passenger mirror broke
    ~45000 miles: door seal shrinkage in back
    51000 miles: new rear brakes, leaking thermostat housing replaced
    61000 miles: tranny service, alignment
    70000 miles: new front brakes (nice Bendix brakes this time)

In addition, I've changed the oil every 3-4K miles, and rotated the tires every 3rd oil change. I've also replaced the pcv valve and air filter about every 15K miles or so.

It hasn't been a perfect car, but then I don't think there is such a thing! Just for reference, my Mom's '99 Altima dropped its tranny around the 35K mark, and she's a lot more gentle on cars than I am. Most of her driving is highway commuting to work, while a good deal of mine, for a few years, was delivering pizzas!
    I would agree with andre's comments. Certainly you might explore anything in the 1998-2000 range. I'm quite comfortable with my 2000ES and echo andre's experience; although I have required a bit less service on my car. It's true that my mileage is less at 43,000. Even the camoflaged "anti-Intrepid" contingent here at Edmunds had to create things to complain about in their long-term test of a 1998 Intrepid. They characteristically underplayed the extremely low maintenance costs of their long termer. Pardon me while I hop off my short "soap box".
    I too reiterate the tranny fluid issue should you find one and have the transmission serviced--you'll find my (potential catastrophic) experience listed previously in this board. My most significant costs were new front pads, and new tires. I've tended to allow the oil change intervals to go longer as I used synthetics.
    ANDRE1969--how are those new Bendix pads working? My are "breaking in"...a bit less grabby but still strong after 3000 miles. Driving back from Virginia to PA last night and played "high speed" cat and mouse with a red Intrepid R/T from New York. We certainly made good time. My "little ol'" ES kept with him--but we when did a brief foot-to-the-floor run he was able to pull away quite handily. I'll admit we made it to about 110-115 mph before cutting back.
    (Dear Safety [non-permissible content removed]'s--it was a brief full throttle run on a mostly empty Interstate). All in all I was pleased with my 3.2's performance!
  • pete0721pete0721 Member Posts: 1
    motorsport2 regarding your post #1350 I am trying to save $150.00. Can you post some instructions or e-mail me @ socaux@hotmail.com. Thanks for your help
    my Bendix brake pads are doing fine. Every once in awhile I'll hear a squeak out of them, but they're nothing like the bargain-basement pads I had on there before! As for stopping, they're still plenty strong.

I haven't had a chance to really get out and gun the car lately, though. I did have it up to around 100-105 a few months ago (before the new pads), but nothing so exciting lately. The tiny 2.7 does have some kick to it at higher speeds. Next time around though, if I get another 'Trep, I'll probably opt for a larger engine, unless the base plant gets radically upgraded or something.
    Thanks for your feedback. My Bendix pads came with a "lifetime" warranty through the service shop. Yours?
    My experiences with the 2.7 were equally positive. I got rear ended in my old vehicle early in the summer of 1999. So, for about 2.5 weeks I had a base Intrepid with the 2.7. Despite having only 9000 miles, this thing RAN. My brother and his wife had a late 90's Avenger with the Mitsu 2.5 V6 and would marvel at the mid-high rev power of my rental 2.7. I think it was probably a "strong" version of the 2.7 allowing for subtle differences among engines. For some reason--although my 3.2 is superior in all respects--that little 2.7 got me grinnin' alot!
    ...but since I put them on myself, I'm sure that Bendix will find a way to weasel out of it if I need them replaced!
    BUMMER!
    ...it's been kinda quiet in here lately, so I just thought I'd post to keep us on the boards! How's everybody and their Intrepids doing?

My '00 just hit 73,000 miles last night. It seems that this winter is taking its toll a bit more on fuel economy than the last 3 winters I've had the car. The worst fuel economy I ever recorded on a tank was just under 20 mpg, a few winters back. I haven't calculated yet, but it seems like I'm doing worse this time. Then again, it feels like this winter's a bit colder, at least so far.
    Wow Andre...you are certainly packing on the mileage. I was a bit amazed to watch my 2000 ES turn over 46,000. My mileage decreased a bit after a recent service stop but is on the rise again. I'm hoping to test it out over the holidays on some lengthy trips in the colder weather. Nothing new to report--going to have the dealer order and install the new door seals--to replace the shrunken ones which are "whistling a bit". Other than that, no significant problems. My biggest expenditure EVER aside from tires was my last service (largely optional) at 40K--tires rotated and 4 wheel aligned, oil and filter, tranny fluid and filter, wipers, etc..
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I checked my service records on my financial software, and I have spent a total of $21.77 on service for the Intrepid this year - one case of oil, two oil filters, and a set of wiper blade inserts. That is for the mileage period 20-30k miles, it happens the air filter replacement and the 20k service was last year for me.

Granted, I do the work myself, and will be taking it into the dealership to get a shrunken door seal replaced and have them check the drive belt tensioner. Other than that, everything works as intended with the car was built. Mileage is a little below expectations, but I have the 3.5 high output, drive in suburban and city areas, and usually around 75 mph on the freeway (faster than that when i can get away with it, the R/T is rock solid at 90 mph).

I'll probably throw in an oil change and transmission fluid change when I get the warranty work done, the dealer has higher profit margins on nonwarranty work, so maybe they will try a little harder on the warranty work.
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    Anyone running synthetic oil in their Intrepid?

On advice of a friend who is a mechanic, I just started using Mobil 1 in my Explorer. I have coupons for one more oil change on the wife's 2002 Intrepid. So I will use dino for at least 5500 more miles, but will be taking over the oil changes from there.
    After allowing the original oil to "break things in" I changed to synthetic in my 2000 ES and have used it ever since. Don't know that it gives demonstrably better fuel mileage but I am more comfortable going for 5-7.5K on oil and filter changes. I'm closing in on 47,000 miles and I've never needed to add more than a half quart of synthetic between changes..
  • duffer5duffer5 Member Posts: 10
    I have a '95 Intrepid with just over 100k on the clock. It has been a good car with no major problems. I would like to replace it in the next 2-3 years but I "heard" a rumor that the Intrepid may be going to rear wheel drive just like the Chrysler 300N. I like the size and front wheel drive because of the snow and ice here in MD. Does anyone have any information on the future of the Intrepid? Thank you!
    Yes you heard right , the next generation car will bw RWD and some will be AWD . Dont worry the size is even bigger than current Intrepids .You say your worried about ice and snow driving , dont be as the new cars will use a lot of Mercedes traction control systems .These cars will be out starting Jan 2004 so keep them in mind when thinking of replacing that 95.
    ...that the next Intrepid were going to be on a longer wheelbase, but shorter overall. For some reason the number 117.7" keeps sticking in my mind for wheelbase, and overall length, around 195". Is that in the ballpark, Ottoworker?

I found this on the internet... http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b121902.htm

but dunno how accurate it is.

Sorry , I dont know the numbers . But that link to car-truck has a lot of good true info .
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    I was reading a review of some full-sized cars in the newspaper and the paper said that this would be the last year that the chrysler corporation puts out the intrepid. It will be discontinued next year. I was shocked! The intrepid is one of my favorite dodge cars and I think that its a mistake that chrysler is going to cancel this car. I was just going to check up on it and see if this is true. It seems hard to believe. I also heard that Chysler/Dodge was going to remodel the Sebring and Stratus soon again, like in 2004 I think. Because they aren't seeing high selling numbers. They just redesigned them! Is this true? write back.
    ...there is going to be a 2004 Intrepid, but it's going to be a short model year. The 2005 replacement hasn't been given an official name yet; they're still tossing that around.

I'd think Intrepid would be a good name to keep, though. It's been the strongest selling Dodge car in recent years, and put them back on the map, as far as full-sized cars go. Dodge was always a strong player in the compact and intermediate markets, but was weaker in the full-size arena. Think about it...how many really popular full-size Dodges were there? Most people probably couldn't even name a full-size Dodge off the top of their heads!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yes, the Intrepid name may disappear. The new replacement will be RWD, and will be the last to come to market in 2005 as either a 2005 or 2006 model. It's replacement was originally set to be the Super 8 Hemi concept car, but that car got such a terrible response, they went back to the drawing board and started completely over from scratch. This is also why the new replacement will be the last LX car to come out. The new one is supposed to look like or resemble the Charger concept from a few years ago, most likely, and may actually take the Charger name.

About the Stratus, yes, it has been "lightly" re-designed, along with the Sebring. As you may have noticed, DC re-did the front, rear, and interior on the Mitsubishi-built coupe models already, and they are now doing the same to the sedans. As such, the 2004 sedans can be ordered now and should be on lots anytime soon. The 2003 model year was quite short. Reason? Mainly poor sales, nowhere near what's needed to be successful. Look around the web, and you can see the pics.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    So let's see: The Intrepid will go 8 model years (1998-2005) before a redesign, even after not selling well for the last 3 or 4 of those model years.

The jury is still out on whether a large rear wheel drive car will sell in large volumes at a price point that they can make any money. (The Grand Marquis and Crown Vic's development was amortized long ago - it is a pretty cheap car to build) Was RWD chosen just so Daimler can amortize more of the development costs of Mercedes products over a larger production amount?

Yep, the Daimler merger is working out very well.

...really is getting stretched out too far, considering we really should have gotten a new model for 2003. As for sales though, I think it's still holding its own. In CY2002 through the end of November, they sold 103,437 units, compared to 102,243 the year before. Meanwhile, cars like the Impala, Crown Vic, and Grand Marquis have fallen in the same timeframe.

I think RWD could work, if they make it exciting enough. The Crown Vic and Grand Marquis don't sell because they're dull and have looked about the same since 1992, in spite of a few facelifts in between. A buddy of mine has a '95 GM, and the '03's are identical inside, with the exception of cheaper carpeting. They might make a good police car or taxi, but nobody really wants them as a family car anymore.

Also, with being a V-8 only model, Ford is only going to build so many CVs and GMs, no matter what the demand is for them. If they sell too many, then their CAFE numbers are going to sink and they'll get fined. At least with the upcoming LX models, since they're going to have V-6 engines as well, overall they shouldn't hurt DC's CAFE numbers too much.

" The Intrepid will go 8 model years (1998-2005) before a redesign"
    The last year of the Trep is 2004. Aug 28 is the final build date of all LH cars
    What happened to Emale's pics?! Were they from some copyrighted site or something? Emale, could you send me the url to the site that had those pics? My email address is in my profile. Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    emale, I wrote you about this yesterday, perhaps you have not checked your email?

The website has a clear copyright policy in which it states that images may not be reproduced on other websites: http://www.daimlerchrysler.de/index_e.htm?/legal_e.htm

You can post links, but please don't exceed the character limit -- that screws up the screen for most of our members, and the page has to be scrolled left to right to read every single line on it. We get tons of complaints when that happens - it makes the page virtually unreadable.

If you have any questions, just drop me a line.

Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    #1509 of 1514 by emale United States of America Jan 02, 2003 (10:40 pm)

andre,

these pictures are in a chrysler press kit so i'm not sure why edmunds won't allow them.

here is that url:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2DD352F2

...looks like it'll be a pretty hot looking car, and hopefully worth the wait!
    Evening group... I find myself needing to request your experience and expertise. The day after Christmas my 2000 ES with 3.2 and 48K miles began to refuse fuel. Specifically, I would attempt to refuel the car and it would cause the gas nozzle to "click" (stop pumping) after just a few cents. Obviously this is inconvenient and makes refueling VERY time consuming. My dealership was able to produce a service bulletin on the issue which requires approximately $350 to repair. Two questions: I don't recall seeing this among others here--has anyone experienced this. Second--if you have what did you do. While my car is out of warranty and mileage, I can't imagine that this is anything but a design/material/production flaw that was identified very late in the game.
    To his credit my 5 star service manager said that I should call the customer assistance line without hesitation. Am I being unreasonable or is something like this unacceptable? It's the only significant concern I've had in almost 49,000 miles.. Come on Dusty and others...let me know... Shake the trees....
    jason,

what is the fix? btw, did you try not inserting the gas nozzle so far into the opening (joke there somewhere)? if i remember right my 2000 would do what you are experiencing on occasion, but not frequently. also, did you go to different gas station vs usual? sounds silly but i think some gas pumps are more touchy than others. just throwing out some ideas...take care...
    Good to hear from you and thanks for replying. Yes...I did all the "well duh" kind of things regarding angle, insertation, pumping speed, using another nozzle, etc.etc..etc...but to no avail. Hmmmm...sounds like a conversation for Dr. Ruth...
    The fix--such as it is--involves a new valve, some "bypass" of some sort.. I have the technical bulletin but that doesn't get me past the feeling that this just shouldn't happen. I've NEVER in the history of an automobile heard of this happening..
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    If you are at all handy you might try from underneath the car,removing the filler neck rubber hose by loosening the hose clamps at the fuel tank and then see if anything is blocking the fuel from getting to the tank.Be sure you don't have a full tank when attempting this.
    ...does that same trick with the gasoline. Has since the day it was new. In its case though, it only does it if you stick the nozzle all the way in, and flip the catch so that it pumps automatically without having to hold it.

I've noticed though, that it happens at certain gas stations, and at some gas stations it's fine. Seems that it would always happen at Citgo. In fact, on Monday night I was taking the thing to the emissions test, and sucking fumes, so I pulled into a Citgo. Put the nozzle in, squeezed the handle, and got a nice splash-back of gasoline. If I put it in about half way though, and don't squeeze too hard (man, this conversation IS going downhill!), then I don't have a problem.

My 'Trep's been good so far, though, in that respect. I did get a little scare on Sunday morning though. We had a heavy frost, and I was warming up the car. Went to click the wipers to do a single swipe, and they came up about an inch and then stopped. They were fine once I clicked them off and then back on, but this has me worried. It happened a few more times that day, but has been fine since then. I wonder if they're about to fail? Oh yeah, I'm at around 74,500 miles, so I'm well out of the original warranty. My extended warranty is good through 100K miles, but has a $200 deductible. Watch this end up costing $199 or something like that!
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    Anybody know of a good site(s) that sell Dodge extended warranties? I did a search but pretty much got Dodge.com and some non-Dodge warranties. Looking to add to the "Home for the Holidays" 7yr/100k powertrain coverage as we plan to keep this car at least 6 years.
    Morning group... Thanks for your on-going advice and counsel. Perhaps I should have told you that the dealership DID look the car over for blockages, etc. The service bulletin is issued for all LH models (Intrepid, 300M, Concorde & LHS) from 2000-2001. I'm hopeful that anyone on the board will let me know if they experienced the problem or had the roughly $400 "fix" completed..
  • tank36tank36 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a used car. I originally started at a Nissan dealer who had an Intrepid for sale. I am looking at program cars, you know, the ones around 20,000 mile and previous rentals. Most of those are 2002. What do you consider a better car, STRATUS or INTREPID and what years are good in the used arena. Currently I'm looking at a 2000 Intrepid for $11,900 with 23,000 miles on it. Could someone give me some advice?
    ...because it's roomier and not that much more expensive, but they're both decent cars, especially now that the Stratus has a Mopar 2.7 V-6 instead of the older Mistubishi 2.5.

I have an '00 base model 'Trep, currently with about 74,500 miles on it, and it's been pretty good so far. I've had the typical shrinkage of the rubber door moldings, a leaky thermostat housing, a bad power door lock actuator, and the remote passenger-side mirror quit working. No problems with the engine, tranny, or any of the really high-cost stuff, though.

If you do get the Intrepid, make sure you change your tranny fluid every 30,000 miles. And make sure they use the proper fluid, Type +4/9196. This is critical. Any other fluid can be fatal to the tranny.
    FWIW, the Intrepid has always had higher quality and reliability than the Stratus, besides being a full-size, i.e., more car for your buck, IMO.

HTH