Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    My 1999 ES (3.2L V6) is now at 154,000 miles and the drive train feels like it did when new. I'm not as thrilled with the suspension (it never DID get to where I wanted it) but since I now also have a 1997 Chrysler T&C as the everyday driver, the Intrepid has become more of a part-timer.
    Just my opinion of course - If a guy is ready to move on from their Intrepid, as long as he/she have something FWD or AWD that can get through snow, the new Charger is a thing of beauty, although the interior is rather cheap-looking (The interior door panels don't seem to seal the windows very well and the door panel itself looks like hard molded plastic - ugh). The Pontiac Grand Prix GXP and the Impala SS offer 303 HP each and FWD, and are much better appointed interior-wise that the Charger.
  • cfazzaricfazzari Member Posts: 77
    Just to expand on the suspension issue - my Intrepid had struts, boot kits, tie rod ends, and struts again changed and I still feel a "Clunk" when I hit a bump. My mechanic never seems to hear this (The T&C does the same thing), so I've given up pouring money into this issue. Like I said previously, both Mopars run silent and swift under the hood. I've contented myself that way (for now).
  • jaychriswelljaychriswell Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought a Chrysler 4-disc changer that came out of a 2001 Sebring and when installed the backlights do not light up when the headlight switch is turned on. I took the deck in for repair and was told the lights are fine. I do not want to install an aftermarket stereo because of looks, but have not had luck finding Chrysler CD players. Has anyone experienced this? If not, maybe someone can give me some leads on where I can find a stereo.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Don't have the bill to parse out each item but the struts (plates, isolators, etc), wheel bearing, oil change, replacing two dash bulbs and alignment came to $850. That included labor, parts, etc. I too had some "clunking" but I understand that is due to the plates at the top of each strut needing to be replaced. As the dealer said, my struts would have passed inspection and soldiered on--but at 130,000 miles, it was probably time. Yes I notice a difference in ride and handling.
    I disagree about the Charger interior...Pontiac continues to have cheaper looking interiors in my estimation. Happy Holidays and enjoy 2006!
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Just to expand on the suspension issue - my Intrepid had struts, boot kits, tie rod ends, and struts again changed and I still feel a "Clunk" when I hit a bump. My mechanic never seems to hear this (The T&C does the same thing), so I've given up pouring money into this issue. Like I said previously, both Mopars run silent and swift under the hood. I've contented myself that way (for now).

Try the front sway bar rubber bushings on both cars. I had them replaced (under warranty) on my van and the noise went away.
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    Agree with sway bar and bushings, that has been problematic on my 97 Intrepid, that gave me the "clunk"
  • svdosvdo Member Posts: 1
    Everytime I try to refuel the nozzle will trip if I try to place fuel into the tank at full open on the nozzle. The only way I can get fuel into the tank is by opening the nozzle at an extremely slow rate. Does anyone know why this could be the reason?
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    Everytime I try to refuel the nozzle will trip if I try to place fuel into the tank at full open on the nozzle. The only way I can get fuel into the tank is by opening the nozzle at an extremely slow rate. Does anyone know why this could be the reason?
    This has to do with the vapor recovery system on the fuel nozzle. I believe that the fuel flow is shut off when high pressure is measured. The problem is that the rubber seal on the nozzle seals too well to the gas tank opening on your car. Try pulling the flexible rubber seal on the nozzle back a little when re fueling. I have had this problem on and off on various vehicles.
    I have a 1999 Intrepid ES with the mid grade stereo, not the base and not the Infinity. It has a separate power amp which is going out. Does any one know where this amp is physically in the car and how to remove it?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    not sure, but don't they usually put them somewhere in the trunk? Like on the bulkhead between the trunk and the back seat? Maybe not if you have folding seats, though. But what about mounted underneath the package shelf, between the two rear speakers?

I'm just taking some stabs in the dark here...
    On the 99 the power amp is located in the trunk on the passenger side behind the sound deadner upper right.
    This car has the fold down rear seats. I will take a look though. Thanks.
    It's not behind the seats but on the wheelwell.
  • autobeefautobeef Member Posts: 1
    #2318 of 2956 DrMurdoc... by Jason5 Apr 14, 2004 (4:22 pm)
    > In a nutshell--make your purchase and enjoy. We too in
    > this forum have heard about the "sludge" problem--
    > trouble is the one or two sources are not reliable and
    > you won't find significant real world data to
    > support "sludge" as an issue.

This statement seems pretty ridiculous. Maybe it's the intervening time, but currently oil sludge complaints outnumber all other 1998-2002 Intrepid complaints by a factor of 15 to 1.

1999 Dodge Intrepid problems
    2000 Dodge Intrepid problems
    ..etc.

No other vehicle on our website has graphs as one-sided as the Dodge Intrepid.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Thanks for that interesting site that shows the complaints. I have to agree that there is lopsided complaints about the engines in these cars. It is interesting to see the comments that go with those complaints. It is also reassuring to me that those that site the engine type indicate it was the 2.7 liter that failed. Once again makes me happy I went a little deeper into the wallet and went for the 3.2 in my '99. Now at 105,000 trouble free engine miles. :D
    I wish I had sprun for a 3.2. Or better yet, the pretty $26,000 Intrepid R/T with the 3.5 that they had on the showroom floor the day I bought my '00 base model.

But I can't complain. My little 2.7 has around 113,500 miles on it now, and no problems yet...no nasty noises or signals of impending doom, and nothing's fallen off yet. If I can get two more years out of it I'll be happy, but even if the engine does sludge up, oh well it could be worse. At least it's paid for!

One thing that would REALLY piss me off is to have a car need a major repair WHILE I'm still making payments! I knew a guy with a '94 Ford Probe that had the second tranny go out at 86,000 miles, out of warranty. He couldn't afford to get it fixed, so he just let it sit for about a year and a half until he was finished making payments, then got it fixed.
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    have affected almost all the car makes-VW, Audi, Toyota etc...The website in the earlier post had less than 50 complaints for the engine. ONE for some of the other "issues". Statistically relevant??? Check engine rebuilder sites and you will find no modifications to help prevent this "problem". The 3.2 has been in production for longer than the 2.7 so are easier to find.
    Buy quality oil, change it every 3000 to 5000 miles (depending on your service rating) and DRIVE.
    The total number of such failures against the number of engines built might give a more realistic statistic. I have seen many 98+ models with 150000+ miles,most were 2.7s.
    would the 2.7 be more prone to sludging in the Sebring/Stratus? I know the engine is more crammed-in with those cars, because of the smaller engine compartment. And I heard they also had to cut something, or make some kind of half-baked mod to the engine to make it fit in sideways.

I remember with the Toyota 3.0 sludging issue, it seems that a disproportionate amount of them popped up in the Sienna minivan, where the engine is supposedly more crammed-in, and doesn't dissipate heat as well. I remember the Camry getting named often too, but when you consider how many Camrys were built, that's not too surprising.
  • peacefulstarpeacefulstar Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 Intrepid that has a headlight out. I bought the bulbs (was going to change both now) but cannot figure out how to replace them. Can someone please help me?

Thank you

:cry:

:cry::cry:
  • boredjess05boredjess05 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 Intrepid and My family and I are the first and only owners. At about 130k miles, the car has been great up until about 2 years ago. My father is a mechanic and had kept the car in great shape, but we have been having some problems. About 2 years ago it started with the battery being unable to hold a charge. We replaced the battery and the alternator and it ran fine for a while. Then, about 8 months later while I was driving the check engine light came on, but the car was fine, no over heating. I pulled over and turned the car off, when I turned it back on, it was gone. About a month later all sorts of strange things began to happen, the speedometer began to give in accurate readings (currently while driving it will hit 120 and then the car begins to buck) and once the speedo was so crazy out it was reading the pin was stationed at the mileage. Sometimes the dash lights will go on, and when the speedo is crazy out, the windshield wipers act on there own...
    Does anyone know what is going on or have similar problems? Please help, my sister now uses it while I am in school as a new driver, it just isn't safe anymore. Thanks.
  • rebel6rebel6 Member Posts: 1
    have a 97 interpid driving home it just died and would not start, cranks over good I have no spark from the coil pack
    did the coild pack go bad or is there something lurking in the dark shadows
  • peacefulstarpeacefulstar Member Posts: 2
    My intrepid is doing the same thing as yours was. Does not seem to be able to hold a charge on the battery. I have replaced the battery but have had to still jump it several times. Did replacing the alternator fix your problem?
    The fact that there are so may problems in so many different systems makes me think it in the central computer. Have you had it checked out. With Chrysler cars up until more recent ones, it was possible to get the computer codes by turning the ignition key on and off three times without starting the car. I do not know if the 1995s could still do that. It might be a place to start. The website Allpar.com can probably help head you in the right direction. :shades:
    but I think only K-cars and their many derivatives could give you the computer codes by turning the ignition key on-off three times. I had an '88 LeBaron that would do that. Once you turned it on-off-on-off-on-off, the check engine light would flash in a sequence. Each code was two digits, and "55" was end of codes.

So if you had, say, a code 37, the light would flash 3 times, pause, flash 7 times, pause again, then flash 5 times, pause, and then 5 more times, and then it was done. And then you had to go find out what code 37 meant, although nowadays that's not so hard with the internet.

However, I had an '89 Plymouth Gran Fury that did not have this feature. The L-cars (Omni, Horizon, TC-3, etc) might have done it though.

Does the '95 Intrepid have OBD-II? If so, there are any number of engine code readers you can buy to read the codes yourself. One of my buddies bought one a couple years ago to use on his '98 Tracker. We've also used it on my uncle's '03 Corolla.
    I don't know whether the '95 Intrepid used OBDII, but I do know that the folks at the local Autozone will use theirs on your car for free to help you diagnose a problem (and so that you'll buy parts from them :shades:)

My 1985 Omni GLH Turbo would demonstrate the codes with the ignition key trick. Used it many times and replaced oxygen sensors as a result of those codes.

Enjoy
  • claireinazclaireinaz Member Posts: 2
    On the newer Dodges, you turn the ingition key to acc position while at the same time pressing the trip odomenter. That will pull up all your codes in an easy to read manner.
  • claireinazclaireinaz Member Posts: 2
    the only reason for the sludge issue is smaller heads, as long as the oil is changed at 3k miles, no problems at all. I work for a Dodge deaerlship in sales and I have seen many 2.7's traded in with well over 150k on them, and these folks always want new Intrepids, and when I tell then they do not make them anymore, they are not happy, saying the Intrepid is the best car they have ever had!!! I have an 02 2.7, 63K miles, all I do is oil changes, and its perfect
    I dropped off a bunch of old clothes at the local GoodWill store to donate. The guy handling it asked me about my Intrepid, which I thought was kinda interesting, considering that it's not really a car that encourages total strangers to strike up a conversation!

Anyway, turns out this guy's a Mopar fan and once owned a 1994 Intrepid, and around the 200,000 mile mark bought a 2003 Neon and gave the Trep to his son. I dunno how many miles it has on it now though, or if he still has it. This guy also has a 4-cyl Dakota, around a 1995 or so, and it's over the 200K mile mark as well.
  • bstnsportsfan3bstnsportsfan3 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 1996/97 dodge Intrepid es (it was a 1197 model that came out in 1996). i bought it for 2,800 for a private seller and it had 100,050 miles on it. now it has 100,780 in just 2 months. i love this car as its fast and fun to drive. its an automatic but when i speed up sometimes i can feel it hesitate and also it smokes alot out of the back. also i was told i need a new timing belt soon. anyone know why these things are happening and where i can find a good quality timing belt for a cheap price? thanks Tony
    is probably only going to be something like $30-50. If that. It's the labor to put it on that'll be the expensive part. I have no idea how much that would be nowadays. Also, it's usually best to change the water pump when you're in there.

If it's hesitating, it might just need a good tuneup. As for the smoke, it depends on what kind of smoke you're seeing. If it's blueish-black, then you're burning oil. If it's white, and has a sweet smell to it, then coolant is getting into the combustion chamber somehow. Usually that's a sign of a bad head gasket or warped head, but it could also be a bad intake manifold.

If the smoke is just kind of grayish, or you can really only see it at night in the headlights of the other cars behind you as you accelerate, that usually means you need a tuneup, and the gasoline isn't burning as completely as it should.

I forget what black smoke means, though. Running too lean, maybe?
  • bishop753bishop753 Member Posts: 8
    I had that problem with my 97 Intrepid. The funny part was it was after I replaced my coil pack, the car just died on me on the expressway. My problem was fixed when I put the old one back in and changed the spark plugs & wires.
    Still it may be something you are missing.
    Thanks for all those who chimed in and commented on "autobeefs" assertions about my sludge comment from...uh...2004. You are correct in observing that the so called "sludge problem" is observed across all makes and models. To that end, like "unintended acceleration", it has been largely recognized as more to do with the driver (poor maintenance) and driving habits than design flaws.

On another note, my 2000 ES is doing well though the "repair bug" just bit me in earnest. At a rousing 133,500 I had to have my radiator replaced because it had cracked and couldn't be repaired. Other than that....going strong!
  • bstnsportsfan3bstnsportsfan3 Member Posts: 6
    My check engine light came back on on thursday second time since i bought car in january, it got 100,750 but its making me mad that it keeps having problems. i took it to auto zone and they sad i had 1 misfiring cylinder. it said 1 out of 4 but i have 6 cylinders so i think auto zone is wrong. if its like that then i have to have all my spark plugs changed and my wire changes. now i have to push the timing belt and if i run it to long it might die and then my engine will die. :mad: this is frsuturating. i hope this car was worth the 2,800 i paid for it :mad: :mad:
  • mary_mmary_m Member Posts: 3
    Well I am at my wits ends over my 1996 3.5liter Intrepid :mad: . It has been nothing but a curse from a replacement engine in 2000, a new transmission in 2001, and other various parts since then.
    But the straw that broke my back was in Nov.2005 when twice in two weeks all the gages were going haywire (at a standstill I was supposedly going 50kms, the RPM gage was saying it was revving at 5500rpms, etc.....)then *BOOM* temp gage went sky high then that lovely smell and outdoor cloudy mist of coolant. *AARRGGHH*
    We limped home with the :lemon: as I am now apt to call the beast, got a new thermostat (which was now stuck open), put in a new water pump, got a new battery and now the *BIG STRING OF EXPLETIVES DELETED* will not even turn over :mad: :mad: :mad:
    I am one pissed off Canadian chick that use to love her big beast but I don't know what else to do to her and my money is long gone as I am a mother of two kids under the age of three so money is always tight!!!! *SIGH*
    Any of the old timers seeing a pattern here?
    Heh that the intrepids have a "HUGE PROBLEM :P ;) ........look at the class action lawsuit taking place in the states against Daimler Chrysler!!! :lemon:
    I know that for my '96 :lemon: you turn the key 7 times.
    with my mechanic the other day, about the 2.7 and sludge, and learned something that may put some of our fears to rest. And also reinforce what others have been saying.

Yes, he said the engine will sludge up, and yes, it costs about $5,000 plus labor to put a used 2.7 in. HOWEVER, in order to get it to sludge up, you have to consistently let it go 7-10,000 miles between oil changes! I think my all-time worst is 5,000 miles, although this last time was about 4600 miles.
    My check engine light came back on on thursday second time since i bought car in january, it got 100,750 but its making me mad that it keeps having problems. i took it to auto zone and they sad i had 1 misfiring cylinder. it said 1 out of 4 but i have 6 cylinders so i think auto zone is wrong. if its like that then i have to have all my spark plugs changed and my wire changes. now i have to push the timing belt and if i run it to long it might die and then my engine will die. this is frsuturating. i hope this car was worth the 2,800 i paid for it
    You don't say what year your car is, but most cars these days require a major tune up and timing belt replacement at around 100,000 miles. This is why many people un-load cars just under 100,000 miles. This maintenance is something that you should price into the cost of a car approaching 100,000 miles.
    requires a timing belt replacement around 100-105,000 miles, but other than that, I don't think the car should really need much. Maybe new spark plugs and a coolant flush. I'm not sure what the interval is for the serpentine/accessory belts on the older 3.5, but on the newer Intrepids it's every 60,000 miles. I think the service interval for the tranny is 100,000 miles on the "regular" schedule and 50,000 miles on the "severe" schedule (which is probably why so many trannies fail). I just do mine every 30,000 miles to be safe.

At some point the car's going to need a new air filter and pcv valve, but those are at much more regular intervals...more like when they get dirty as opposed to a set schedule.

FWIW, when my 2000 2.7 hit 100,000 miles, it didn't need much. I had put new front pads and rotors on around the 98,000 mile mark. Had the coolant changed around the 85,000 mile mark. The mechanic said that even with the long-life coolant, you're better off changing it early. While the older green coolant simply loses its ability to resist freezing, and its ability to cool, and its ability to resist rusting once it's past its prime, supposedly the newer pink/orange stuff will actually start damaging the cooling system much more aggressively. I had the belts changed at 85,000 miles, too. That was when I discovered the owner's manual called for 60,000. Oops. :blush:

I did have to have new rear pads put on around 102,000 miles. And I put in a new battery around 105,000 miles, just as a precaution. Spark plugs had been changed way back at 51,000 miles, but possibly prematurely. Tranny was last serviced at 90,000 miles. Last set of tires put on around 77,000 miles.

I'm now at 114,700 miles. The next thing I'll probably have to worry about is the tranny servicing again, at 120K. Might also do the spark plugs then too. As for the coolant, well the mechanic said that the hoses themselves should be fine until the next change, which he suggested I do around 150,000 miles. But I might just have the mechanic check that out around 120,000 too, just to be safe.

Still, maintenance probably is why people unload their cars right around 100,000 miles. Especially cars with timing belts. And instead of doing things as they become needed, I'm sure many people just put them off, with plans of doing them all at once, but then sell the car before actually having it done. I don't know if it's true so much anymore, but the 100K mile mark used to just be a stigma. Used car lots didn't want to touch anything with that many miles on it. And people used to just think that by 100K a car was dead and buried, even if it really had plenty of life left in it. A lot of it probably comes from the old days when cars only had a 5-digit odometer. Plus, with the way cars used to rust, and the sloppy tolerances back then, many cars would be reduced to junk by 100,000 miles if you didn't take care of them.
    Good to see an Intrepid with few problems. I am in a similar position, but with fewer miles. My 1999 Intrepid ES is coming up on 69,000 miles. I did some work to it about a year ago. Replaced the serpentine belt because it was ticking. Replaced the pads and rotors due to warped rotors. Had an engine miss which cleared up with replacement spark plugs. The only non routine maintenance work was a bad front wheel bearing and a bad trans sensor replacement. I purchased this car 6 1/2 years ago and I still smile every time that I drive it. It is quieter than my wife's Pacifica and quicker and gets great gas mileage.
    Actually...um...."mary m"..the problem to which I was referring is a pattern many old timers will recognize. Members--with suspiciously "new" profiles--throwing out barbed comments with surprisingly little knowledge.

Andre'--I'm having my tranny serviced again at 150,000 which should be about mid summer at the rate I accrue miles. Interestingly--and yet again flying in the face of many so called "complaints"--my transmission has never required one iota of unscheduled maintenance. Even after 133,000 miles of rigorous use.
    Has anyone changed the serpentine belts on their Intrepid themselves? I have a 2000 with the 2.7 and am wondering how to release tension on the alternator/power steering belt. The ac belt has a spring tensioner. It must be something simple, but there is not much room to
    look and I am hoping someone can save me some time. Thanks in advance.....
    I pondered the idea of changing my own belts. Until I looked under the hood and saw how little clearance there was. I knew that I'd get enough bruises and bloody knuckles, and would probably get mad enough that I'd end up messing something up, so I just bit the bullet and paid to have them changed! :sick:
    I did the @&%$@#*@$ battery. I will do the belts. I really cannot see how much worse they could be. It is just that I hate doing things for the first time on one of my own cars. Especially without a manual. So much easier to do maint. on the older cars.
    My one complaint with this car is some of the maint. items could have been designed better. But oil changes are a snap.
    Thanks for the reply.
    don't get me started on the battery! I changed mine back in May of last year. I didn't get my knuckles TOO bruised and bloody, but I did swear to myself that I would trade or sell this car before it was time for ANOTHER battery change! :mad: Or, I'll just wuss out and pay the mechanic to do it. :blush:

And yeah, oil changes are a breeze on the Intrepid. I just park it at the edge of the driveway where the ground slopes off, and can get up under it without even jacking the car up.
    I pondered the idea of changing my own belts. Until I looked under the hood and saw how little clearance there was. I knew that I'd get enough bruises and bloody knuckles, and would probably get mad enough that I'd end up messing something up, so I just bit the bullet and paid to have them changed!
    I changed the serpentine belt on my 1999 Intrepid ES (3.2L). I have done lots of work on cars and this was a real pain in the a**. I cannot believe that Chrysler does not use a self adjusting tensioner on these cars. You must adjust the tension from an almost totally inaccessible location. I felt that I had really achieved something when I was finished, but wished that I did not have to. I have changed serpentine belts on a 1995 Suburban which was very easy and on a 1992 Grand Caravan, which was just easy. The Intrepid was not even in the same ball park.
    that I can remember changing the belts on were a 1985 Silverado and a 1979 New Yorker. The Silverado wasn't too bad, although it has 4 belts and figuring out the procedure to get the old ones off and the new ones on was kinda like a jigsaw puzzle. At least there's plenty of room to maneuver around though!

The NYer was actually really easy. Only three belts, and two of them follow the same route. IIRC, the power steering pump was on the one-belt loop, while the a/c and alternator were on the two-belt loop.

I guess the serpentine belts have their advantages in (usually) lasting longer, and only having to replace one belt. But they sure make up for it in aggravation! :mad:
    I guess the serpentine belts have their advantages in (usually) lasting longer, and only having to replace one belt. But they sure make up for it in aggravation!
    A well designed serpentine belt can probably be changed in 5 minutes or less, and with an automatic belt tensioner, there is no adjusting. The Suburban was easier because the belt was right in the front and there was lots of room. On the Caravan it is on the side and not quite as accessible and you really need a special tool to do it easily.
    I changed the serpentine belt on a 96 Grand Caravan with no special tools, only an open end wrench to take the tension off of the automatic tensioner, and a coat hanger bent to help guide the belt over the lower pulleys. From the top no less.