Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    I hooked into the factory wiring and have a nice 5 channel amp installed under the front passenger seat. Sounds great.
  • fred222fred222 Member Posts: 200
    I also have a 99 Intrepid ES. I purchased this car new in Aug 1999. I get 22-24 mpg in the city and 28-30 mpg on the highway. I love the car, but it is getting old and a little small for my family with three kids. I have been looking for a replacement, but have not found anything that I really like or could justify getting to replace the Intrepid. This car looks good, drives great, is roomy, is very reliable and gets great mileage.
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    Need to know what happens when you push wash on turn signal stalk. Do you hear washer motor going? Do wipers start but no fluid is being sprayed on windshield? Doubt very much it is body control module. I have shop manual and will help if you answer questions.
  • jslslljslsll Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the delay. I didn't log in due to the holidays. Anyway, when I press the stalk the wipers run, but no liquid is sprayed and I don't hear the pump running. I have checked the fuse and the fluid level and found both to be OK. Appreciate your help.
    using a test light see if the pump motor is getting power when the stalk is pressed if it is, see if by jumpering to washer motor from battery will pump fluid, if not it is probably the pump motor which is a lot cheaper than the body control module.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Hello gang! I wanted to let you know that after a bit more than 7 years and 146,000 plus miles; I replaced my Steel Blue 2000 Intrepid ES with a 2007 Chrysler Pacifica Touring. It was difficult to part but the mileage was definately taking it's toll on the car. Plus the incentives and Premiere Event coupon for $1000 made it a sensible move. I'll still check in from time to time. All the best in 2007!
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Hey Jason, congrats on the new purchase. BTW, what kinds of things were starting to go on your 'Trep? My 2000 base model has about 126,000 miles on it now, and still seems to be going strong.

Did you get much in trade for yours? I figure I'll just keep mine until something cost-prohibitive fails on it, but I do get the occasional urge for a new Charger! I want to hold off for at least another year, though. It's nice not having a car payment.
    Hi Andre. Well, things were largely fine with my Trep (ES 3.2/Autostick) until just after 130,000. I had the radiator replaced, the alternator/starter, and lastly the A/C condensor. So...although they are items you might expect to replace after 100K, it just seemed to be time to move on. Plus, I had a $1000 Premiere Event coupon and excellent pricing--even on a 2007.
    I did get $1800 for my Intrepid which was about right considering the mileage. I had owned it for 7 years and one month, averaging just under 21,000 miles per year.
  • eewokeewok Member Posts: 2
    How does one replace the headlight bulbs in a 1994 Dodge Intrepid? I can't access the rear of the assembly.
  • rayh069rayh069 Member Posts: 1
    Just did this this morning. The owners manual shows the two T-15 screws to remove and pull the headlamp out. The 9007 bulb goes in and out as you'd expect. However, there's a good chance that one or both of those bolts will not come out due to an engineer who needs his/her butt kicked. The "nut" end is imbedded into the plastic and will strip without much effort. I was able to drill out the head of the inboard bolt, snap out the turn signal and rotate the headlamp hinging on the remaining bolt. Then replace the destroyed bolt with a 3" one and a nut.
  • eewokeewok Member Posts: 2
    I don't have an owners manual, but after your explaination I was able to replace my lights without any trouble. Thanks.
  • darklodarklo Member Posts: 1
    thats because its the oil sending unit. $8.99 at auto zone then you need a 16 dollar oil sending unit tool that looks like a axel nut socket. you dont need a dealer the sender is on the left side next to the filter
  • txemt13txemt13 Member Posts: 1
    no-- but if you hear of one let me know!!! :mad:
  • kmausskmauss Member Posts: 72
    Good morning. I am new to these boards, but I find them very interesting. I have a 2000 R/T that I have owned from new and taken immaculate care of -- except of course for the fact that it has been outside in the northeast, a factor over which I have had no control. The car just turned over 60,000 miles (yes I am blessed with a short commute) and the engine sounds as good as the day I drove it off the lot. I've never had a true "engine" problem, though the local Dodge dealer did find lines into the transmission leaking when I had it in for other repairs in December.

I know that I have a semi-rare car, especially one with this low of miles, and I love the car, so I am loathe to part with it. BUT ---- the past six months it's like a switch flipped labeled "time to fall apart around the engine." I've had to replace numerous and sundry dumb little things such as ignition switches, door lock mechanisms, wheel bearing assemblies, etc, etc. I'm a non-mechanically inclined single lady, so I'm not even attempting to fix any of this myself. It's like being nibbled to death by ducks, and I keep wondering where (if ever) it's going to end. :( And by the same token, how much $$$ do I want to keep putting into a seven year old car?

I'm just wondering what anyone else's experiences are with Intrepids of this age that have had to spend their life outside in northeast winters. Is my experience typical? Do they just start to fall apart at a point? Would I be dumb to part with it? :cry:

Many thanks for your opinions!
    Karen
    I'm just wondering what anyone else's experiences are with Intrepids of this age that have had to spend their life outside in northeast winters. Is my experience typical? Do they just start to fall apart at a point?

Well, I hate to say it but that whole thing about the body falling apart around a bulletproof engine has been a bit of a Mopar trademark since 1957! :P There was an old joke going around that the Dodge Dart was the worst car ever inflicted upon humanity, because they tended to leak water around the base of the windshield and fresh air intake, and get the front seat passengers' feet wet. But since the drivetrains were so indestructible, people would drive around in these cars, suffering with the water torture, long after most "mortal" cars had had long since blown an engine or transmission.

As for the Intrepid, well I bought a base model in 2000, and now have about 127,000 miles on it. It started having some minor issues when it was about a year and a half old. Stupid stuff, like the window seals shrinking, power adjust to the passenger mirror failing, the little cover to what would normally be the ashtray in the center console getting loose, etc. Now that I think about it, the power lock actuator in the driver's door went bad, and had to be replaced around 35,000 miles, when the car was only about 13 months old. I used to deliver pizzas part time, so I racked up the miles pretty quick early on.

Other than that though, I've been pretty lucky I guess. The car now has about 127,000 miles on it, and the closest thing to an engine problem I've ever had was a leaky thermostat housing, which was replaced around 51,000 miles.

I have heard of the leaky transmission lines running to the radiator being a common problem on the models with the 3.2 and 3.5 engine. I've also heard that power window failures can be somewhat common, although I've been lucky there, too.

I had to replace the front brake rotors around 99,000 miles, but was able to do it myself. Have you had your battery replaced yet? If not, when that time comes it's going to be a pain in the butt, because it's buried down low in the front passenger fender, between the wheel and the headlight assembly. It took me about 2 hours to replace mine, and it was a big enough pain that I swore I'd either trade in the car before it needed another battery, or just pay the mechanic to do it!

I'd say overall though, my car has aged fairly well. Most of the irritating stuff popped up between when it was about 1 1/2 to 3 years old, but nothing significant since then. Oh, around 87,000 miles (just shy of 4 years), the oil light came on. Luckily it was a problem with a sensor getting too hot and was fixed for free under a TSB.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question as to whether you should get rid of it or not. While the R/T is a fairly rare car (I wish I could've afforded one when I bought mine! And I did come close to trading mine in back in late 2003 for a used '02 R/T the dealer had on their lot), I don't think it's considered a very valuable car. The Intrepid's resale is pretty bad, regardless of the trim level or how well maintained it was. So on the plus side, the car has probably depreciated about all it's going to, so it's not like you have to ditch it immediately to keep from losing any more value.

But if the car is getting to the point that you just don't trust it anymore, it might be time to sell it and get something newer. It's really hard to put a dollar value on peace of mind. But at the same time, don't fool yourself into thinking that a Honda, Toyota, or whatever is automatically going to be bulletproof after 7 years, either. Often, things just start to go on a car once it gets older, no matter how low mileage it is.

Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide!
    I just noticed with my Intrepid. I don't drive the car regularly anymore, so I probably don't keep up on this stuff like I should. Anyway, the low washer fluid light comes on every time I start the car, with a ding, although it has plenty of fluid. The power steering pump seems to make a high-pitched grumble for a moment or two in the morning, the first couple times you turn the wheel. And every once in awhile, whenever the power locks lock/unlock, the one in the driver's side back-door makes kind of a sick sound, like a dying Teddy Ruxpin doll.
  • fbandyfbandy Member Posts: 2
    Has parking lights, no road lights, no head lights, can hold high beam switch up and will have high beams. Release switch and have no head lights. Replaced muti-function switch did not solve problem.

Any suggestions?
    Could be both low beam bulbs are burned out?
    Thanks Andre! I haven't been back on the forums much in the past week or two, so I didn't see your reply until just now. At this point, I'm hanging onto it, but it's "on probation." (In other words, it if keeps costing me several hundred dollars per month, it's getting traded.) I still like the car and so far (knock on wood) it hasn't done anything bad engine-wise at all yet, so for now I'm continuing to fix the little stuff and see where we are in another few months. Karen
  • fbandyfbandy Member Posts: 2
    I've changed the bulbs. The bright lights will not stay on either unless you hold it up on flash to pass.
  • dodgeram2dodgeram2 Member Posts: 5
    I heard the evaporators go bad very quickly. especially in trucks. sounds like poor material.
    From my 99 shop manual
    Headlamps do not illuminate
    1 No voltage at headlamps-------Repair open headlamp circuit
    2 No ground at headlights-------Repair circuit ground
    3 Faulty Headlamp switch--------Replace headlamp switch
    4 Faulty dimmer switch----------Replace headlamp switch
    5 Broken connection between
    BCM & headlight lamp relay----Repair broken connection
    6 Faulty parking/headlamp relay-Replace relay
    7 Faulty body control module----Replace body control module

The ground is the black lead from the headlights.
    The relays are located in the fuse box accessed by opening the driver door and opening the cover on the side of the dash.
    Thanks for the response dodgeram2...albeit three months later. I suspect if the evaps were that poor it would have surfaced long before 140,000 plus miles. The only thing I've seen in particular was that certain evaporators on earlier minivans were placed in a way that road debris could bounce up and hit them......sounds strange but apparently true. I was prepared for some repairs after 100,000 miles. In any event, I'm in a 07" Pacifica now and enjoying the extra room...
  • bstnsportsfan3bstnsportsfan3 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1997 Dodge Intrepid ES with about 105,200 miles. i do know that my back breaks are 90% worn and am saving up to fix them. but i have noticed now when i i turn that the steeting wheel squeeks and its kinda high pitched and annoying....does anyone know what this is!???
  • blackjack57blackjack57 Member Posts: 1
    HELLO! I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY 98 INTREPID. 2 WEEKS AGO WHEN IT WAS VERY COLD OUTSIDE, MY BLOWER MOTOR PROCEEDED TO BE STUCK ON HIGH. AS LONG AS THE CAR IS ON MY BLOWER MOTOR RUNS ON HIGH SPEED. I CAN'T TURN IT OFF, I CAN'T TURN IT DOWN. I REPLACED THE AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE CONTROL UNIT AND IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. ANY SUGGESTIONS? THANKS
  • bsanchez1bsanchez1 Member Posts: 3
    I have found the following websites very helpful and informative and just wanted to pass them on to fellow Intrepid owners who have had these problems or should at least know about them. The link below is about a potentiall major safety issue I myself have experienced.

For those having Dodge Intrepid, Chrysler Intrepid and Chrysler Concorde 2.7L Engine Problems

Dodge, Chrysler 2.7L Engine Problems Information and how Consumers Can Fight Back

Dodge, Chrysler Intrepid, 300M, Concorde, LHS Defective Steering, Premature Problems and More
    These two sites have been mentioned before and largely discredited because of the inaccurate information.
  • joho4241joho4241 Member Posts: 4
    I need HELP...
    I have a 96 Dodge Intrepid and the air bag light cames on and when it is on I cannot put the windows up or down.. and the dashboard gets really hot.. after the light goes of the window controls will work...anyone out there with any info?
    :confuse:
    joho4241
    well, it looks like my '00 Intrepid is finally getting its first fairly costly repair. It's at the shop now, and I'm looking at about $1000. That's including new front brakes/resurface rotors, new transmission lines (turns out theres THREE of the danged things that run to the radiator, and it's a dealer-only part. :mad: ), a new bearing hub (I think that's what my mechanic called it) in the front right wheel, rotating the tires, checking/adjusting the back brakes, and changing the coolant/hoses.

Still, the car does have 130,000 miles on it now, and a lot of that is just maintenance crap (brakes/coolant flush/rotate tires), so I guess that's not TOO bad. The mechanic was actually telling me that I could hold off on the coolant and hoses, but I wanted them done. I had the coolant changed back in August 2003, with about 86,000 miles on the car, but they said the hoses should hold out until 150,000 miles. However, back then I drove a lot more than I do now, so 150K miles isn't coming up as quickly as I originally thought it would. And I'd rather err on the side of caution than risk muffing up the engine just to save a few bucks in the short term.

Still, it's amazing how far coolant/hose rubber technology HAS come. Sure beats the hell out of the old days when you had to change EVERYTHING every 3 years/36K miles!
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Andre, sinking $1000 into your '00 doesn't sound so bad. doing it should keep your I going for a long time. I think you are right about doing the hoses since you are redoing the coolant at this time. Why take a chance of melting all that aluminum? What happened to the transmission lines? Did they corrode (?rust) or what? My '99 has only 114,000 so I want to know about what things I might be facing. Of course, age and not miles can do things to the rubber in the hoses and belts. You are correct, the rubber, including tires have gotten much better since the old days. Everything has been done on mine by the book since new in February 1999. Keep up the good work!

Ed :shades:
    The transmission lines on the Intrepid are rubber, and supposedly it's common for them to leak. Mine very well could have been leaking for awhile now, but I didn't actually notice it until back in March, when I was under it changing the oil. It was never enough to actually leave a puddle though, or show a noticeable drop in the fluid level.

The cost to replace them was about $300. I'm not sure exactly how they attach. At the radiator, it looked like they were just attached by a hose clamp, like what you'd see on a radiator hose, heater hose, bypass hose, etc. But at the transmission, they had actually fused onto it somehow, and the mechanic had a helluva time getting the old ones off. The lines are a manufacturer-only part too, so they were more expensive than aftermarket.

I've heard that sometimes the transmission hoses on the 'Trep would practically start leaking on the showroom floor, so I guess if we've made it up over 100,000 miles with my '00 and your '99, we should consider ourselves lucky!

And, hopefully, my Trep shouldn't need anything else for awhile. It's at 130,000 miles now and I figure it'll need new rear brakes around 150,000. It needed them at 51K and 102K, so I guess that should be about right. I'll probably do the belts then too, and the spark plugs. Oh, and the tranny service. But, at the rate the miles are getting put on, that's probably at about a year and a half away.

And one of these days, I guess I'll need new tires. I had a set of Yokohama Avids put on around 76,000 miles, and the two that are still on there look like they have plenty of tread. Two of the tires are mismatched though, because one got ripped off, wheel, lugnuts and all, in a parking garage back in October, and the other got popped and replaced in December. So now I have two Yokohamas with 54K on them, a junkyard wheel/tire off an '02 with an Eagle GA and unknown mileage, and a brand-ew tire from Sears, the brand I forget.
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    My wife's 2000 Intrepid is due an oil change today-66000 miles. I will look for any leaks again. It was all pretty dry last time, with no drips anywhere on our garage floor. We also have Yoko Avid touring tires with about 30000 miles on them and will probably replace them before next winter. Or buy a couple steel wheels for two cheapo snows. I have as yet had no luck getting a complete set of alloys from a junkyard. Do you have any particular tire in mind- I am not so happy with the Avids, but the price was good.
    I am surprised to read that you are getting the rotors resurfaced. I put Brembo premium rotors on our car for short money when I did the brakes at about 50000 mi. Did not seem worth spending any money on the old ones. Ceramic pads last well but are a little harsh on the rotors.
    I would spend 1000 on my car without a thought of trading it....but when it comes time to replace the battery again I might have second thoughts!!!!!
    I have as yet had no luck getting a complete set of alloys from a junkyard.

I thought about getting a set of alloys for my Trep. Back in October, when I was scrounging in the junkyard looking for a wheel/tire to replace the one that got ripped off my car, I saw a wrecked Intrepid with alloys. I think it was an SXT. Unfortunately, one of the alloys was smashed. I thought about just trying to buy the three and then keep on the lookout for a 4th, but decided not to.

Do you have any particular tire in mind- I am not so happy with the Avids, but the price was good.

I really haven't thought about what kind of tires I'm going to buy as replacements. Main reason I bought the Yokohamas was a combination of high treadwear rating (620) and low price (~$250 for a set of 4, delivered, bought from Tirerack.com or Discount Tire or one of those places). The two remaining Yokohamas on the car have about 53,000 miles on them now, and look like they still have plenty of tread left.

I am surprised to read that you are getting the rotors resurfaced. I put Brembo premium rotors on our car for short money when I did the brakes at about 50000 mi. Did not seem worth spending any money on the old ones.

Yeah, I was surprised that the mechanic resurfaced the old rotors, too. He said it was still cheaper than putting new ones on, although they won't be able to do another resurfacing on them. I'll confess though, that I last did the front brakes and rotors myself, at around 99,000 miles, and used cheap parts. I think the front pads and rotors only came to about $84. So I guess I shouldn't complain! My mechanic put factory pads on the car, and I think he would've used factory rotors as well, so it probably would've been pretty pricey. I remember though, getting about 40,000 miles out of the original front pads, so maybe these factory pads will get me about that many, too. So that'll put the next brake job off, hopefully, until about 170,000 miles. Probably at least 3 years, with the mileage that car gets put on it these days.

but when it comes time to replace the battery again I might have second thoughts!!!!!

I changed the battery myself, about two years ago. The orignal battery still seemed fine, but at that point I'd had the car for about 5 1/2 years, and was about to take a trip to Florida, so I didn't want to chance it. It took about two hours for me to change that battery, along with some bruises, scrapes, and spilled blood! I swore to myself that I'd trade the car before it came time to put another battery in it! :surprise:

But, I'm going to keep the car as long as is feasible. Now, if the transmission craps out on it, I'd probably ditch the car. And if the 2.7 decides to die, it's definitely outta here! If it was lower-mileage I might consider replacing, but not at 130,000+ miles.
    I had a problem with my Grand Caravan trans lines. I replaced them myself with parts from the dealer. When I checed my Intrepid the lines on it were loose too. I tightened the clamps at the radiator and so far (three years) no leaks.
  • 911man2911man2 Member Posts: 8
    My elderly father has given up his license and has stopped driving his car about 18 months ago--it has been sitting ever since. It has about 30k mi. The body has some damage--nothing major...does not affect driveability.
    What needs to be done to get this car going again. Battery is dead so I can't start it until I replace it.
    Worth fixing up or should I sell it?
    Gosh, it is just broken in! It's up to you whether to fix the body or sell. If you need a good car for a little money, fix it. To get it going again, just change the oil, are your sure the battery is shot? It may very well still be good just needs jumped and charged. Change the oil in that 2.7 regularly and that car should be good for years. :shades:
    I agree. One other thing I'd add though, is to change the transmission fluid if it hasn't been done already. And try to do it regularly around every 30,000 miles.

Has the coolant been changed? While that car is very low mileage, at roughly 8 years old, if it's the original coolant it's well past its expiration date and should be flushed. You might want to also check the condition of the belts and hoses.
  • 911man2911man2 Member Posts: 8
    Well--I put in a new battery ( what a fun job! ) and even with a tank full of 18 month old flat gas it started first try and idled as if it was just driven yesterday! I'm impressed. Woody Allen , eat your heart out!
    Drove it around for a while.....seems OK. Brakes appear to be rusty and making sounds--fronts only.
    Now that I can see the odometer I see it has only 28K miles....
  • rehmborehmbo Member Posts: 2
    on my 98 2.7 intrepid, my intake fuse blew out and will not let me go into reverse with out blowing out again, but will let me drive forward! i replaced the fuse and tried again but blows every time! any one ever run into this problem!?!? please help
    The battery placement in these things will make a preacher swear when trying to change it! Change oil, filter, trans fluid and coolant. The brakes should still be good, and the noise should clear up after the rotors are cleaned up with a few good stops. Although it is possible that a caliper is stuck. Keep us posted on progress.
    The brakes should still be good, and the noise should clear up after the rotors are cleaned up with a few good stops. Although it is possible that a caliper is stuck. Keep us posted on progress.

Yeah, especially if that car was driven fairly moderately, the front brakes should have plenty of life left in them. Just as a reference point, I had to change the front pads on my 2000 Trep around 39,000 miles. But that was maybe 15 months after I bought it, and most of that mileage was pizza delivery driving, which is downright brutal on a car's brakes. Lots of speeding up, stopping, etc. Sometimes going 200+ miles in a single night, but usually just 1-2 miles at a time.

I bought some front pads from the auto parts store when the car had about 15,000 miles on it. On a lot of the old battlercruisers I'd owned before this car, I'd often only get 10-15,000 miles out of the front brakes, so I just bought them out of habit. Checked the front brakes, and saw they had plenty of meat on them, so I just threw the pads in the trunk and kept them until it was time. I think I checked again a few more times, maybe every 5,000 miles or so. I think I was rotating the tires at 39,000 miles, and that's when I noticed the front pads were finally wearing thin. Oddly, it was just one of them, the outer pad on the passenger side. It was wearing unevenly, and almost down to the metal on one corner, yet where the wear indicator was located, it wasn't rubbing yet. :confuse:
    Hello again! I posted a message back in February about my 2000 RT which I do still have. And I'm STILL debating how much longer to hang onto it. It's having some engine issues now, which, when I describe them to my mechanic, he says they sound like either a fuel pump going bad or the beginnings of electrical/ transmission issues. :cry: I have an appointment in about two weeks. But I'm curious who else has had the same thing and what the outcome was.

Symptoms -- happens mostly at highway speeds. When I step on the accelerator, I feel hesitation, lack of power, sometimes almost a shudder down in the engine. Does not happen all the time, but is happening with greater and greater frequency. Engine is also generally running very rough, shifting not well, etc. Have had all scheduled maintenance done on it for the seven years I've owned it.

What's anyone think? Thanks! Karen
    is the check engine light on?
    Not yet..... (My mechanic asked me that one immediately).

At this point, it's more that I drive the car every day, and have done so for seven years and I KNOW something's wrong. I just hope it will misbehave for him so he doesn't think I'm crazy. :surprise:
  • rehmborehmbo Member Posts: 2
    i think im going threw the same!are you blowing threw fuses like crazy too? i have a friend who thinks it the fuel injector going bad, im having it looked at Thursday. let me know what you find out PLEASE
    No, nothing with fuses. I don't have an appt for two weeks yet, but I will try to remember to post his findings. Do me a favor and let me know what you find out too. Thanks. :)
  • tkfitztkfitz Member Posts: 95
    Used the wife's 2000 Intrepid for a few days to get to work while my car got some new parts. 345 miles.....$31.50 with gas at $2.92 a gal. Not bad at all for a big car cruising at 75-80. Caught myself doing 90 a couple times until I smarted up and set the cruise control.
    Seven years and still impressed with this car. Always wondered why sales did not support keeping the LH cars alive. I test drove a 300 and was not really pleased, also RWD!!! just not as practical in winter as FWD.
    Hope we can keep this car for at least another 5 years.
    Ol' 1999 and new 2006

tkfitz, I agree

Our '99 has been good, a big comfortable car with a great big trunk and lots of back seat leg room. We cruised it up and down the highway for many years, and it will roll when needed. It had been our main family car until we turned it over to our son, who will be taking it away to college with him in the fall. With the rear seats folded down, his surf board fits in nicely. The only troubles over the 115,000 miles have been with an AC that had to be rebuilt and both radiator fans shorting out and needing replaced.

The main family car is now a 2006 300C. Yes it is RWD, but then it doesn't snow here, so that doesn't matter to us. Certianly it would not be as good in the snow, but there is an AWD version available for that. It is certainly more powerful (we went for the Hemi), but also more gas using. The rides is more solid than the Intrepid's. It has a few shortcomings in the size of the trunk (smaller than the Intrepid's and actually a little less leg room in the rear seats.

Regarding Chrysler going to new models-- I think that they think only new model names sell well. (unlike Accord and Camry). If you ever notice the ad campaigns for the GM, Ford, Chrysler cars--they are always about the new models and the ones that have been around a few years are not advertised at all. Honda and Toyota have good publicity for solid cars (although certainly not as much better than domestics as the majority of consumers think) and kept the basic structure and the name and just keep on improving them.

Yes, keep enjoying the Intrepid. Ours has served us well, and I hope will continue to do so for many years.

:shades:
  • misschellemisschelle Member Posts: 1
    We have a 97 3.3 liter Intrepid that runs like a charm once it has warmed up to a certain point. When you first start the car it will run for about 5 minutes then stall, so we start it, it stalls again, over and over - sometimes up to 15 times re starting it until it reaches a certain temperature where the engine is warmed, once it reaches that temp. it will run all day, unless you shut it down and leave it set for about 2-2 1/2 hours and it completely cold down, then the problem starts over again until you warm it up again. Does any one have a clue what to replace here or what the fix might be on this issue? I have been having to warm this car up for at least 20-25 min each day for over a year even in warm weather, I would be extremely grateful if anyone can figure this out!
    I have a few guesses: I would wonder about the fuel pump in a situation like that. Another thing: electrical? Plugs new? Wires in good shape? After all, this is a 10 year old car. :shades: