Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• temprontempron Member Posts: 8
    Day five with the 2001 Black SE. Luv it more each day. The car is perfect so far. It's even good in the snow for crying out loud! Why does the Edmunds new car description say this car is overly noisy? It is quiet to me. I also disagree that the interior materials seem cheap. The base sound system is so much better than the one in the BMW 528i, that thing was a total joke. I am so pleased with the fit and finish of this car. I will keep updating.....
  • mike372mike372 Member Posts: 354
    Is everyone on vacation?
  • snowmansnowman Member Posts: 540
    Cong. on your car. I agree that Edmund's has some inaccurate info about some cars. I rented an Int. for a week when I was in FL. It was great and quite. When they say noisy, I don't know what they are comparing with?
    I wrecked my Accord 2 weeks back. I am driving my wifes car but eventually I need one so I am waiting for 0% ;-). I might get maroon color ( or whatever they call it). I am also considering Buick Century or Chevy Impala. I am kinda sick for Honda or Toyota. They are good cars but, they are boring.
  • temprontempron Member Posts: 8
    I took the 2K rebate instead of the Chrysler finance deal since Chase gave me 6.89% for 60 months. I wish that the Dodge dealer was the my first stop. Car shopped for one full week. Drove a Taurus: Nice but boring, Impala: Boring but nice, Avalon: Big, expensive and boring, LeSabre: Made wierd noise during test drive, bye bye. Saab 9-5: Quite enticing and pricey and a very scary salesman. Subaru LL Bean Outback: Wife has 96 Outback and we love it, this new one is fabulous but just did'nt do it for me. Grand Marquis: Really felt like old technology to me and another scary salesman. Finally, the Intrepid..this was the only car that exicited me, I felt the need to buy it after test drive without reservation. This is the first American brand I've owned since my first brand new car: 1986 Pontiac Fiero SE. Let me tell you something, that car started falling apart the moment I pulled into my driveway. A piece of plastic seat trim snagged on my pants and ripped right off. Every week something went wrong with that car. Headlights would not pop up, speedometer died, electrical problems, then the grand finally: Clutch went at 16K. Maybe that was my fault since I was a rather aggressive driver at 23 years old. Anyway, I vowed never to buy American again. (never say never). Subsequently bought: 1989 Saab 900: Fit the bill fresh with my MBA degree and off to brokerage training on Wall Street (glad not to be in that biz anymore) Next, 1994 Saab 900: One of the first cars off the line for model re-do. Lot's of quality problems, timing belt went at about 5K. Then the Bimmer. All the positive comments you'll ever hear about this car are true. You get your money's worth as a $46,000 car should deliver. Hope my life story (regarding cars) is not as boring as the week of test drive experiences were.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Hey Gang. It's been a while. Just wanted to bring you up to speed on my 2000 Intrepid ES. On February 13th, an elderly neighbor ran a stop sign and we "met by accident". In what can only be described as "precision driving"--she ran the stop sign and I impacted her Dodge Caravan in the mid section. Yup--we put the "T" in "T-Bone". Luckily neither of us was going more than 30 mph. Thankfully my airbags didn't deploy and neither of us was hurt--the impact clearly looked worse than it felt.
    My Intrepid was just returned to me yesterday. God how I"ve missed her! The 2001 SE rental kept my memories intact--even it was the "little sister with the nice personality" compared to my buxom Steel Blue bomb shell. Can you tell I'm glad to have her back? Turns out that the impact did a fair amount of damage to the front unibody. The front frame rails had to be removed, new ones installed and the unibody realigned. It was strange to see my car, sans front third--engine and transaxle lying nearby, at the shop. Fortunately, she drives and rides well. I was assured by the service manager that I wouldn't need to "quietly trade it" due to drivibility issues. So far no rattles, creaks or other problems. Total bill covered by my stop sign runner was $10,500.00 dollars--without my 6 weeks of rental car fees.
    Total mileage right now is 18,300--still no problems other than my CD player which skipped and was replaced. Front seat track was replaced early on as well because of free play. Still very much enjoying my car. Mileage is still holding steady at high 17's to low 18's in town. The SE with 2.7 was a bit better at 19.5 to 20 intown. But I'll sacrifice that for the low end torque of my 3.2. Hope all is well with you...
    Anybody heard from our old colleague Email? If you're out there watching buddy....you're missed!
    No, I"m not trying to make up for my absence in one sitting. Question is tires.. My GA's are fading rapidly--expect I'll get about 30,000 or so out of them--which is about what I expected. Has anyone tried, researched or seen the new Goodyear Aquatred 3?
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,655
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad that nobody was hurt though! I rear-ended a Grand Am in the rain with my 2000 about 3 months after I got it, but, luckilly, it was just a tap, and all I got was a slight crease in the bumper fascia.

As for tires, mine went right at 30,000 miles, and they were pretty bad at that time. The wear on the tread had actually started becoming noticeable at around 12-13,000 miles. I ended up getting some basic General tires from discount tire online. They're a bit harsher than the Goodyear GA's, but I was looking mainly at treadwear rating. The GA's that came with the car were rated at 300, and the ones I got were rated at 560. I went through those first tires in just under one year, and just didn't like the idea of making purchasing new tires a yearly ritual! BTW, I've put about 12,000 miles on the new tires now, and there isn't the slightest hint of wear on them.

-Andre
  • neuronbobneuronbob Member Posts: 43
    Jason5...welcome back! Sorry to hear about your accident. It certainly sounds like you missed your 'trep. And with that $10K--thank goodness for insurance.

Marsha7...sorry, was away for over a week without regular access to the Web. The Sable's a nice car, but didn't have enough personality for me (one reason for the 'trep. I with the Intrepid had its adjustable pedals--I agree with you that everyone should follow Ford's lead. Just so you know, though, my favorite car of all time is the 1990 Honda Prelude with 4-wheel steering. Unfortunately, At the time I most acutely lusted after it, I was just starting medical school at an expensive private school, with only loans to sustain me, so I couldn't afford it. *Sigh* and I could've gotten 183K miles on it so easily myself.

Now for the conclusion to my tire story. I almost picked the Michelin X One. I ended up at Sears, during a sale, picking the Michelin "Roadhandler T plus", a Michelin product especially made for Sears. It is similarly priced to the X One, is similar to the X One as far as tread pattern (and therefore allowing my youthful, aggressive driving and cornering), and the tread rating is 540, not bad for a tire of this size. 80K Michelin warranty. As soon as I replaced the OEM Eagle GAs, I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner. The GAs are CRAP! The ride was immediately better, in fact better than when the car was new. I could corner without hearing squealing from complaining tires! The wet traction is wonderful. I should be able to report its snow traction shortly because here in Cleveland, we often get our last substantial snow of the season in April. So I'm happy with my choice for now.

More later...
    25,300 miles and still happy with my 2000 'trep, 18 months and 2 wks old.
    Well gang... Good to be back. Let us share a moment of silence in honor of "email".. His vigilance shall forever serve as an inspiration to Intrepid owners everywhere..
    NeuronBob--should have seen what I was driving through most of my doctoral program. Ah...guess it wasn't that bad. You inspired me to revisit my length of ownership and mileage--I've had my 2000 Steel Blue ES beauty for just shy of 17 months and ran up 18,400 miles. You must REALLY drive... Long commute or many trips?
    Couple curiousities for all to chime in on. First--how's the city and highway mileage? Second--what type of tire rotation schedule (front to back) are you using? Last--I'm NOT noticing any significant gains in gas mileage through my use of full synthetic motor oil; is anyone else? Loving my Zaino wax--but will have to wait until the new paint cures to use it for this season..
    Hope to hear from you...
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Welcome back...my Intrepid gets about 22 mpg overall with A/C on, 24.5-26 mpg in the winter (no A/C, obviously), and 28-29 mpg straight hwy running, 65-80 mph...I have commented extensively in one of the columns about real oil vs. synthetic...I am a fan of real oil until there isn't any left...but the folks who use synthetic swear by it...I use real 5W-30...check out the "OIL" topic and read the comments, some spirited conversation both pro and con...

Bob
    My high mileage is because I drive a lot in my current job. In addition, I have driven the car to Colorado (2600 mile roundtrip) and will again in a few weeks. It sounds like you drive your car pretty hard (far) as well, Jason. I'm not planning to keep the car until it falls apart, so I'm not too worried about losing resale value due to high mileage.

As far as the tire rotation schedule: My habit is not to--at least with the OEM tires, unless they are good ones. Because the Eagle GAs turned out to be terrible, I knew early in the ownership of my Intrepid that I was going to be buying a new set. On the other hand, our Dodge Stratus came with Michelin XW4s--an excellent tire providing good wet/snow traction. I replaced two of them because of road damage at 42000 with Roadhandler Sports (also Michelin). The remaining XW4s were replaced just last week after a total of 72000 miles. The tread wasn't even that bad on them. In part it was semiregular rotation (every 20K miles or so), but tire quality had more to do with it.

My mileage without air conditioning, as of the last tank of gas, was 22.4 with a mix of highway/city driving. It's usually 28 or so with mostly highway miles.

As for oil, I use real 5W/30 (though the oil jockeys at the quick lube places have a strange fixation of 10W/30...). I haven't seen a good reason to switch to the more expensive synthetic oils yet.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I knew I forgot something in my response...tire rotation...die to mostly highway use, I change oil every 4000 miles (except the first oil change at 1000 miles)...so, 1K, 4K, 8K, 12K, etc...I rotate tires every other oil change...8K, 16K, 24K, etc...tires wearing well (Eagle GA) at 32K, but will probably need replacement at 36K or 40K...not sure what to buy, yet...do not want to spend high $$$ for world's best tires on a lease car, but do not want to buy junk, either...car to be turned in at 60K...maybe I could pick up some Firestone ATVs "hardly used" from the Explorers????? :):):):)
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Has anybody ordered a Dodge Motorsport Intrepid ? Did you know you can get it in Flame Red, and it looks great in this color.
    New York, New York... Hey gang.. Get this.. Went into NYC on Saturday with family to do some shopping. Due to some neuronal deficit I had completely forgotten about the NY Auto Show. Well--bus driver ended up announcing it to the entire group and off I went. The Dodge and Chrysler Displays were impressive--saw the Viper, the 2002 Ram, the Crossfire, the Willy's and the new Liberty. If only I had the spare change for a new Ram come Fall... I'd be happy with "only" the 4.7 liter.....
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    I am currently looking for a new car. I have made three possible choices, the intrepid, diamante, and the maxima. I have driven all three and all have there good points. All three have powerful engines, capable suspensions, and smooth rides, but are they reliable? I have never bought a Dodge, Mitsubishi, or Nissan and I'm not sure how they hold up after 3 or 4 years? It seems like all have bad points and all have good points, and as I've read about all these cars some people love them and some hate them. This is very confusing when you're about to buy a car. Also, do all hold there value well? I don't want a car that loses half its value in a few years. Bottom line I want a powerful, agile, reliable, and safe sports sedan, by the way I haven't been able to find any safety reports on the Diamante? Does anyone know how safe it is? The others are pretty safe I hear. Please can someone tell me their thoughts or expirences on any of these cars? Any info will be helpful.
    Thanks!
    If you want the best resale value, I'd say go with the Maxima. I don't know how well they hold up, quality-wise, though. A car that has high "perceived" value and quality can still end up being a mechanical nightmare. The only difference is when you unload it, you'll get better resale value than a "perceived poor" car that has been good to you.

As for the Intrepid, its strong points are interior room, trunk room, and price. I hear bad things about quality, but my 2000 has 43,500 miles on it, with no major problems. New tires/tranny service at 30K, new power lock actuator (under warranty) at 35K, new front brake pads at 39K, and that's about it.

I have checked out the current-generation Diamante. It's a nice looking car, but to me just doesn't appear to be that well-built. It's also not nearly as roomy as the Intrepid. From what I've seen at our local Carmax no-haggle Mitsubishi dealership, it looks like the Diamante comes in the base model for about $21-22K, and the up-level, loaded model for about $26K. The Diamante has been a sales loser for Mistubishi for years, although this year sales have been up. I think it would usually sell about 600-1000 units a month. compare this to around 8,000-13,000 a month for the Intrepid. That's probably why there isn't much data on it, simply because there aren't that many out there. The main thing I didn't like about it was that the sheet metal seemed kinda thin, too much plastic that looked like you could take apart by hand, and the frameless door windows. The frameless windows look cool, and give the car kind of a "fake hardtop" look, but I can't imagine them sealing out the weather as well as conventional doors. Although I did have a 1979 Newport with frameless windows, that was still watertight in 1998, with 248K miles on it!

I hate to say it, but if you buy an Intrepid or Mistubishi, plan on losing about 1/2 of the value within the first two years. So plan to keep it awhile! I planned on driving my Intrepid until it dropped, (or was at least paid off) so resale isn't quite as important to me...I mainly needed room, and the 0.9 financing was what cinched it for me.

-Andre
    Thanks for the info. This helps me alot. I guess I'll go for either the maxima or intrepid, wherever I get the best deal. I hear both nissan and dodge are giving good deals like cash back and low financing. The Diamante is out. It doesn't seem like the right car for me. Thanks again for the information.
    just don't come after me if you end up buying an Intrepid or a Maxima, and it turns out to be a lemon ;-)

I once recommended a Honda Civic to some friends, back in 1994. One of my other friends, a "Mopar or nocar" type of guy, got on me about it, saying that a Neon,which had just come out, or a Sundance should have been just fine...or at least a Cavalier.

Well, they bought the Civic, and I believe it ended up being the worst car they've ever owned!

As for my "Mopar or nocar" friend...he drives a 1995 Toyota Corolla now...go figure ;-)

Another thing I probably should have mentioned, is that I'm fairly tall (6'3") and was raised on big cars, so to me, a Maxima or a Diamante just won't cut it...they're compact at best in my mind.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose!

-Andre
    andre: I thought I was the heavy driver in the group (25K miles on my 2000 Intrepid in 18 months)! You must do some serious driving....or live in Stockton, CA and commute to San Francisco daily!

homer: I agree with andre. The Maxima has better resale value. However, an Intrepid, if well-cared for, will last quite some time. I've had only one problem with my Intrepid--a tranny failure when the car was new, at 600 miles. This was probably a factory-related problem. However, I received such good service from my dealer (which basically forced a new tranny out of Chrysler, no easy feat) that I stuck with the car. I have had *no* other problems despite heavy use and I am extremely happy with it. Just so you know, the 2000 Intrepid reportedly has one of the lowest defect numbers among similar American cars--I think someone else in this group quoted this--so keep this in mind. Despite my experience, I have found my Intrepid to be reliable and comfortable. I only wish I could've bought an Intrepid R/T...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi folks,

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have the requirement to stop and restart discussions after the numbers of posts exceed a certain limit. To keep from confusing our newer members down the road, we are going through the discussion list bit by bit and dropping the "part" numbers associated with some of our extended discussions.

Since this will be the permanent home for discussion of the Intrepid, I have removed the "4" from the title of this discussion and altered the name of the archived version to distinguish it from this one.

Please continue....

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Actually, I put about 350 miles a week on my car delivering pizzas, up until November of last year. So, out of the first, maybe 32-33K miles or so, at least 18,000 was delivering pizzas! So, I guess that's another testament to the durability of the car. Probably also part of the reason that I went through the tires so fast!

I was hoping that quitting that job would mean fewer miles on the car, but now I'm just over 44,000 miles, and it'll be 18 months on May 6. So I'm still doing about 2400-2500 miles a month. I guess that's part of the problem with having more free time...I end up driving for fun instead of work (and there's no mileage write off for goofing around mileage like there is for work-related mileage)

So, I guess at the rate I'm going, I'll hit 100,000 miles in about 3 1/2 years.

Oh yeah, two new problems to report...
    1) rubber seal on rear door opening coming loose
    2) right-side remote mirror not responding...but at least it stopped in the right place for me!

-Andre

PS: Kinda wish I'd bought an R/T, too!
    Homer--As an owner of both an Intrepid and a Diamante', I feel modestly qualified to reply. My wife has had her 1992 (second on the dealers lot in November 1991) for over 9 years. While it's been a relatively solid car, I have felt nickeled and dimed to death. The dash was replaced three times, tranny failed at 1000 miles due to a factory defect, and Mitsubishi's scheduled maintenance requirements must be second only to Lexus and Mercedes if you follow them. For me the car is too small, however, the current generation Diamante' is roomier but it is my wife's car.
    She dislikes my Intrepid and has looked at the Maxima, 300M and 2001 Diamante'. At this point she's leaning toward the Diamante'. The good news is that current incentives ($2000/1.9%) make it relatively inexpensive. The bad news is, that an Intrepid can be better equipped and had more cheaply--and you end up with more space and better handling characteristics. Plus considerably cheaper scheduled maintenance. In all fairness the Diamante' has slightly better ride characteristics and is a bit more quiet. Just a few thoughts..
    My wife didn't like the Maxima's appearance relative to it's cost. She MUST have leather, CD and sunroof--at which point the Maxima is up in 300M territory..
    In terms of reliability, I have no complaints regarding my 2000 ES. My mother's 1994 and an Aunt's 1993 (supposed the WORST years) have proven remarkably competent. Best Wishes...
    Wow! I have a lot of different viewpoints!
    I guess either one of the 3 will do now from what I hear!
    Although I am partial to the Maxima for its powerful 3.0 V6 and
    sport handling! The Intrepid will probably hold up after taking
    good care of it. and the Diamante even though falling somewhat
    short of the other two seems like a decent buy. I've talked
    to a different dealers which hold these cars and the rebates
    seem best on the intrepid. The diamante had good incentives.
    I like all three to tell you truth and its downright hard trying
    to choose one! But I'll make a choice soon after I read up a little
    more on these cars and get some prices. Thanks for all your help!
  • dhughes3dhughes3 Member Posts: 56
    I'm alittle late getting in this discussion, but if you are still collecting opinions on tire wear---35K is a little on the low side, so maybe you are cowboying it a bit. I got 70K on my original Goodyear GA's. I am a conservative driver, and probably I should have quit at 60K, as I finally made the decision to get new ones because I slid through a stop sign on wet pavement. Even at 70K, the tires appeared to have fair tread depth and were nowhere near the wear markers. It's amazing how much traction you lose when they get worn past 50-75%!
  • bbears4funbbears4fun Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a used Dodge Intrepid 3 years ago. I had nothing but problems with the transmission. I've taken it to several repair shops and no one can seem to pin-point the problem. It runs fine in the fall and winter months. Last year the transmission would lock up within 30 minutes of driving if I used the air conditioner. If I didn't run the air conditioner it would run fine. Today it locked up without the air conditioner running. First time it's ever done that. Has anyone out there had a similar problem? What did you do to correct it? Is a new transmission the only solution?
  • elmoleafelmoleaf Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    The car is a 1995 ES. A/C problems surfaced at 431 miles past the 70,000/7-year extended coverage that Dodge gave for evaporator coil problems on 93,94,and 95 models (though 93s and 94s apparently were given higher mileage limits). A/C first leaked & was refilled in 1999, but dealership couldn't find any leak. Car was in storage in heated garage for 1.5 years (we foolishly thought we could find someone who would buy it). Now back on the road, a/c recharged again, but still no leak found. And now, it only blows hot air.
    So far, I can't get Chrysler Customer Service to commit to any sort of coverage if we find that the problem is indeed the evaporator coil.
    Has anyone ever had any success with Chrysler in getting coverage for a borderline warranty case? The mechanical problems with the car are a shame, since we otherwise enjoy the car.
  • elmoleafelmoleaf Member Posts: 3
    Have had some trans. probs. w/ our 95 ES. When car is first driven in the morning, at the first stop sign, the car hesistates and lurches before it shifts into first. I'm not sure what you mean by "locks up". The only thing similar we've had is after the battery was disconnected for awhile, the transmission behaved very strangely when car was driven again. Apparently it takes a week or two of driving for the computer to recalibrate itself after battery reconnected. The most common prob. during this time was car often couldn't get out of third gear, so had to avoid highways, or stop and restart the car. You might take a look at the NHSTA web site for other reports of trans. probs.
  • bbears4funbbears4fun Member Posts: 2
    That's exactly it! It won't come out of third gear! I was about 30 minutes from home last night when it locked! I ran it home that way with the 3-way flashers on. I got it up to about 50 miles per hour but the RPM's were running about 4. Lucky I didn't blow the engine. I've sent an E:mail to Pat Goss who does Motorweek asking for suggestions. I've had the darm thing in the repair shop a number of times to try and correct the problem. Short of replacing the transmission no one really knows what to do. I just paid the thing off! I don't know if I want to put that kind of money in it. Oh yeah, about the air conditioner. That's been worked on too!
    Had a leak. Put it through the dye test and re-charged. This thing is costing a mint! Last vehicle was a Dodge Caravan. Air conditioning problems with that along with the head warping. Last Dodge/Chrysler vehicle I buy!!
    Thanks for the info on your tires. Actually, mine were pretty well shot and had to be replaced at 30K miles. Did yours have the 300 treadwear rating? I'm wondering if maybe they make the Eagle GA's with different ratings, and maybe mine were just the bare minimum.

At the time, I was doing a lot of stop-and-go driving, with some jackrabbit starts. I used to deliver pizzas, which isn't exactly easy on a car! I just hit 44,000 miles last week, which is 14,000 miles on the new tires. They haven't even begun to show the slightest bit of wear. I ended up getting General tires. I forget which style, but they're a bit firmer than the GA's, so you feel a bit more harshness inside the car. They've got a 560 treadwear rating though.

Come to think of it, I slid through a stop sign, too! I think I only had about 9-10K miles on the car when I did it, though!

-Andre
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    Check out http://www.allpar.com and go to their transmission section. It has a lot of tips and troubleshooting on the transmission, as well as some cheap fix ideas.

The trannies are very sensitive to the type of fluid used. Make sure your mechanic is aware of this, or it may never run correctly.

• abbanatabbanat Member Posts: 57
    If you're doing 50 mph at 4000 rpm, that sounds more like the 2nd gear "limp home" mode than 3rd gear. I regularly tow my popup in 3rd gear (I have a 1996 ES 3.5 liter)and it shows about 3000 rpm at 60 mph. BTW, I had my transmission rebuilt at 65k miles and am at 78k without any further problems. Also installed a very large auxiliary transmission cooler to (hopefully) preserve the transmission life, even though we don't plan on keeping it longer than another year.
    I read with some amazement the comments of dhughes3 regarding his OEM tires. I certainly do not "baby" my tires but I also avoid sustained smokey burnouts. I will be lucky to get 30,000 out of my GA's even with regular rotating. I don't think that I'll rotate again-simply let my rear to front swap suffice.
    A REQUEST--Does anyone have any experience with the new Eagle Aquatred 3 tires?
  • mitchshinmitchshin Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone installed a K&N filter on the 3.2? Is there a noticeable difference or would you recommend it? Thanks for any input. Also, any good online sites to purchase K&N?
    "I don't think that I'll rotate again-simply let my rear to front swap suffice."

Has anyone noticed when rotating their tires, that they get a "radial pull," or whatever it's called.

I went to Wal-Mart to have my tires rotated and then my car started pulling very strongly to the right (or left, I can't remember). When I went to my local tire shop, they said that the tires should only be swapped front to back and not across.
    That is right. Some idiot technicians do that cross rotation. And it messes up everything. However good tire tech can easly remedy the problem. I got mine corrected once. Chances are very high that your car will have problems if you go to chain stores. Try to get individual owner/mechanic type stores. Good luck
    I know, I almost paid for a wheel alignment to correct it. Imagine what would happen the NEXT time I rotated my tires if I had gotten a wheel alignment? Thankfully, my local tire store (it is a chain but I can't remember the name) was honest and fixed the problem without any charge.
    Greetings... FIRST ITEM... I was giving my 2000 Intrepid ES her spring cleaning recently when I noticed something troublesome. It appeared as though the weatherstripping/sealing around the rear door well had "shrunk"--for lack of a better word. This is NOT the black rubber gasket attached only to the top of the door well. There is a gasket that surrounds the entire door well--it is grey (or interior color) facing the car's interior and a black gasket facing outward. I noticed it while seated inside the car and looking at the upper corner of the door frame--saw a bit of daylight through the top. Don't know if I'm explaining this well--but suffice to say it's a potential problem. Anyone else understand or experience this? Pushing it up into place merely caused it to pull away elsewhere--literally seems like it shrank and inch or two and no longer seal sufficiently.
    Has anyone else had problems with their 1998-2000 door mounted Infinity speakers? Either the plastic trim creaking or the speakers themselves vibrating or distorting? I occasionally hear a distortion in my speaker (without undue bass or high volume)and the plastic surrounds occasionally squeak. I notice that they were changed to a solid unit for 2001--at least on the 300M.
    Still holding out for someone who has experience with the Aquatred 3..
    LAST but not least--an observation. I've suddenly started getting better gas mileage at close to 19,000. Perhaps I shouldn't have used synthetic motor oil from 1000 miles on--maybe it keep the engine from truly "breaking in" until know. Took at trip on Friday and got almost 2 mpg more than on similar trips. Also find that my city mileage--never good but never bad at 17 or so is now over 18.. Oh well...the mystery of life adds excitment!
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    A friend of mine asked me to post his question for him. He's considering buying a 1998-2001 Intrepid and was wondering if there's anything to know about before he takes the plunge? I mean, any major problems that are likely to appear. I have read about the powerglass motor in doors, but you might know of something else (engine, transmission, electrical, ...)? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Another friend of mine actually owns 98 Intrepid and he complains of some ABS problems/failures also some front suspension trouble. Anyone heard anything on those?

Thanks in advane.

P.S. I tried to read the posts here but there are so many posts related to earlier models so I'm stuck filtering all the info...
    compared with chevy impala topic. i wanted to get some info about the car, then realized there are more than 3000 posting. Of course changed my mind.
  • fritofrito Member Posts: 70
    See post 592 in the Chrysler LHS topic (actually the link to the pix: rattling 300M). Anyway, these pictures show the shrunken weatherstripping along the doors. Apparently it is caused by a manufacturing defect in the rubber on certain model runs.

I've also noticed an improvement in gas mileage at about 20K miles on my `99 Concorde LXi - 2-3 mpg better highway.
  • dhughes3dhughes3 Member Posts: 56
    Sorry, I don't remember the treadwear rating on the Goodyear GA's I had. I replaced them with BF Goodrich Advantage Plus (price my only consideration other than a respectable brand). Not nearly as sharp handling as the Goodyears, but MUCH quieter and better riding. Probably I didn't get exactly the same type (touring designation or some such).
    Thanks for the information Frito.. Perhaps a TSB will exist that we can all take advantage of..
    ...I've been having the same problem, and come to think of it, mine shrunk, too. It didn't hit me at the time, but I guess that's the reason that when I tried to push the loose rubber back into place, it popped out at another!

-Andre
  • 2intrepids2intrepids Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Intrepid with 114,000 miles. When I am cruising it has started to feel like it is pulling back - more like a pull back than a lunge and the check engine light comes on but it doesn't stall. It doesn't do it everytime and when I took it in they couldn't find the problem - this was about 6 months ago and it is doing it more and more often. I'm wondering if 114K miles for a Intrepid is about all I should expect and rather than spend money on this car I should trade it in.
  • anniejanniej Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering a 1998 Intrepid. Can anyone give me the pros and cons? Any difference between a 1998 and a 1999? Air-conditioning problems? Thanks
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    1998 was the first year for the new model - 1999 would probaby be a better bet, since DaimlerChrysler had the initial-model bugs (road noise being one of the biggest complained about) worked out in the second year.

I doubt any car that new should be showing A/C problems - or any other major problems, for that matter.

Also, DaimlerChrysler made more running changes to its 4-speed automatics about halfway through the 2000 model run - which means you might want to consider one of those, since it's an indication that there were still problems in the earlier designs.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    jason5,

been awhile since i checked back in here! you can bet i'm really missing my intrepid right now with gas nearing 2 bucks a gallon! my f150 4x4 supercrew is cruising right along altho it has its idiosyncracies just like every other car i've ever owned. currently it is on its third cd player in less than a year! hood had to be re-aligned and there are a couple relatively minor paint flaws that i'm not gonna do anything about. quality is job1 should still be reserved for the japanese!

i noticed in an older post that you remarked about seeing the new 02 dodge quad cab at the nyc motor show. do you think she is killer? i haven't been able to scope one out yet, only seen pictures. frankly i was underwhelmed. maybe in person i'll be much more impressed. anyway, i probably wouldn't trade the supercrew in until dodge offers the new semi-hemi 5.7l in the 03 model year. the quad cab truck will just be too heavy for the 4.7l to motor it around with authority. and i don't want the old tech 5.9l although it is a fairly durable engine. guess i'll start getting serious in another year.

lastly, i noticed you mentioned something about your infinity speakers. on my 00 intrepid i had the screws on top of the infinity speaker case replaced because the screw heads rubbed on the hard plastic weather strip surrounding the front door openings. of course this only happened with the door closed. but, the rubbing caused a clicky, squeaky sound that irritatated the hell out of me. there is a tsb out about this...

unfortunately the folks over in the supercrew topic are much less fun and less talkative then you guys...keep up the good work! i'll be sure to check back once in awhile.
  • warzonectxwarzonectx Member Posts: 26
    how fast do the 2001 dodge. intrepid go. is 120 can the 3.2 litter go 125 if so email me or post it. my email is warzonectx@yahoo.com
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    the 3.2l intrepid could go 125 mph...but i'm pretty sure it is electronically limited to about 112 mph due to the speed rating on its tires. the r/t model with 3.5l engine can hit 140 mph, i believe...anyone else wanna chime in?