Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Intrepid

Comments

• ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    From what we have been told there will only be RWD on all the cars. They are also looking into AWD for some. Yes with all the traction/stability controls that will be used they should drive with no problems in bad weather. Yes the LX cars will be moved upscale ,lets hope not to much upscale though. We have also been told we will be building something that is a cross between a car and station wagon .Looks like every manufacture is also going to this style also
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    i've also read that the next generation lh (to be called lx) cars are switching to rwd. in fact i just read that dc is already adding on a new tranny line at one of its current tranny building facilities. the new line will produce mercedes 5 speed automatics for the new rwd lx cars. from what i've read, that mercedes tranny is a very good unit. also, the lx cars will feature many suspension bits and assorted other items that are to be installed on the next generation e class mercedes. these can only be good things unless dc prices the new lx cars too high!
  • ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    If I could just get the 1993 Taurus that I inherited to last 3 more years, I would love for a Chrysler LX to be my next car. I love RWD sedans and had a 1989 Crown Victoria for many years. I would like a more modern, reasonably priced RWD sedan to be my next car.
    if DC wants to sell cars and I think they do, raising the prices would not be the smart thing to do. So I dont see the LX cars being that much more than what they replace.
    i guess we'll see, but it seems chrysler is mis-firing abit lately...
  • njdevilsrnnjdevilsrn Member Posts: 185
    It's been quiet in here so I'll throw this out there to you all. On my first ever Dodge product, the 2002 Intrepid, I'm getting ready to head in for the first oil change, also need to have either a bad speaker mount and/or blown drivers door speaker looked at. The dealer I bought the car from is 5 star, but they are nearly 20 miles away. There is another Dodge dealer who is 5 star, and they are not even a mile from the house. However, the guy who lives across the street from me has owned a bunch of Chrysler products, and he insists I don't take the car to the nearby dealership, rather he recommends a Chrysler dealership which is about 5 miles away. Now I know 5 star is Dodge's symbol of excellence, but is it legit, or just something they use to advertise. Also, is a Chrysler dealer a better place for service? I'm used to Ford Motor Company, and at least as far as the dealerships in Central NJ go, their service departments stink. I go to the nearby Lincoln-Mercury for my Explorer. Interestingly enough, a lot of local PDs take their Crown Vics their as well. Thanks!
    Yes 5 star is an award given to dealers with good service, but that does not mean that they are perfect. If your someone recommends a dealer give them a try. njdevilsrn I see in your profile you say the car you are shopping for is a Chev , but you just got the Dodge. Does that mean you bought the Dodge instead of the Chev? if yes all I can say is GREAT and THANKS ...Take care
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    how long have you been building Chrysler products? What did you guys used to build up there before the Intrepid came out?
    I just updated my profile, but for a long story made short, the wife's 2000 Malibu needed its engine rebuilt at 9000 miles for what GM called "excessive piston bore"...never got an explanation out of them as to whether that meant the piston was slamming into something and making the clapping sound, or if the shaft was too big and the piston was slapping around inside. Anyhow, we were making payments at 7% interest, and had no desire to keep it off of warranty. I went and took a peek at the Impala and also the Grand Prix due to some GM credits we have. Wife didn't like the round tail-lights on the Impala, and the Grand Prix has the same exact engine as the Malibu unless you go for an upper model, $25000 was a bit much. So, we bought the Dodge.
  • wkhowlandwkhowland Member Posts: 7
    1. Is the AutoStick still available in the Intrepid ES for 2002?

2. Is the AutoStick available in the Stratus Sedan for 2002?

3. Is the AutoStick also know as the 41TE? If no, what is the
    nomenclature for the AutoStick?

Thank you,

WKH
    njdevilsrn - guess GM's lose is our gain

andre1969 -our plants( we had two in Brampton at one time)were AMC plants before getting bought by Chrysler. The first plant opened in 1961 and built many cars like the Rebel ,the Gremlin, the Hornet and the Concord . In 79 and 80 we built CJ 5 and 7 's . From 81 to 86 we built Eagle 4x4's and Concord's. Then from 87 till we closed in 92 we built Jeep Wranglers. The plant that we now build the LH in opened in 87 and built the Premier till 92 . The old plant was closed and the Jeep moved to Toledo , Ohio and all people from the closed Jeep plant moved up and joined the people in the Brampton plant to build the GREAT LH cars.I stated with AMC building the Jeep Wrangler.
    No you cant get Auto stick on the Intrepid ES only the R/T. The transmissions on Intrepid Auto stick and non Autostick cars are the same. All we use is diffrent software and shift lever. Dont know about the Stratus?
    wkhowland,

the 41te is the "official" name for the auto tranny in all fwd chryslers that have a transverse engine layout (stratus, neon, minivans). the lh car's (intrepid, concorde, 300m) official auto tranny name is the 42le. basically, "t" means transverse and "l" means logitudinal. therefore you could surmise that the lh cars have a longitudinal engine/tranny layout. lastly, the 4 means 4 speeds and the 1 or 2 is a relative torque capacity figure. the 42le has a higher torque rating vs the 41te. oh, and "e" means electronic...
  • c01c01 Member Posts: 28
    Daimler has begun to turn things around at Chrysler, the quality is improving, and in time they will hopefully do something about that bloated whale body design.
    hey guys,

jeffew's (c01) back! anybody miss him??
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    In a few years, Chrysler will have very little left to sell. It will be trucks and Mitsubishi retreads, except hopefully the new LX will be primo.

Daimler has really dropped the ball on the PT Cruiser, no updates or new models yet. The 2.4 liter turbocharged Neon SRT is a go for next year, so maybe that engine will find it's way into the Cruiser.

If Bob Lutz and product over marketing takes hold at GM, may have to look towards GM to replace the R/T in 2008.
  • lgoodyearlgoodyear Member Posts: 7
    Bought my new r/t for 23.9 on a lot that had it for sale almost 1.5 yrs. It is Inferno red and looks sharp. The dealer was asking to much so he smeeled the coffee and lowered it 7k. It has a custome ordered leather interior. Does anyone know how many 01 r/t's were custome made with leather? Electrical went out on all gages and rear lights. Life is full of surpriese. the dealer has been great from sale- to service. Blind spots people have mentioned can be fixed some. Throw out the OEM r-v-mirror and buy the aftermarket whoich has built in temp and compass.
  • yositoyosito Member Posts: 55
    RUMORS and more RUMORS going on about that terrible news; I´m worried because when the river sounds it´s because it has water on it!

I know next performance cars from Dodge will be SRT, but that´s another story. I hope the Intrepid R/T will continue on, maybe if they drop it, they will next race the Charger SRT, What do you think, heard something about it??
    Dealers were told to stop ordering R/T´s???????
  • lgoodyearlgoodyear Member Posts: 7
    My new 01'rt is running great but noticed tires are screaching all the time in the corners. The tire pressure is set at 31 lbs in front. The tires are stock VR 17" Michellen's. My other sedans BMW 735i, 740il and 96 LHS are all heavier and do not screach in the corners at even higher speeds. What is up with these tires. I know that Michellen makes on of the best tires.
    Anyone else out there notice the tire screach in corners?
  • fuzzer34fuzzer34 Member Posts: 28
    If you run'em at 31 lbs or lower I get that too. I keep mine at 34-36 lbs. for performance driving or at 30(factory) if I want a cushy ride. :)
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    Will the next generation car use the 2.7l engine, one that I think is fantastic?? Are there any plans to enlarge the displacement on that engine, to produce more torque? My 2000 Intrepid, base with 2.7l, has been a wonderful car for 28K miles. NOTHING has gone wrong, it delivers 30 mpg on the highway (even over the Rockies), and the ride is great. My brother's Ford Focus, with 5 spd, provides the same gas mileage! The Intrepid was cheap to buy, cheap to own, and a pleasure to drive. I hope the next one has the same character - and I hope the sweet 2.7 engine (with timing chain instead of belt) is used.
    Chrysler should replace the 2.7L, 3.5L, and OHV 3.3L and 3.8L minivan engines with a 3.2L enlargement of the 2.7L DOHC V6. The 2.7 and 4.7L V8 are Chrysler's best engines.
  • 300silverbulit300silverbulit Member Posts: 60
    The intrepid going rear drive is good news to me. We wan't our next car to be a performance family sedan. The Mercury Marauder would fit the bill but I don't think we could afford it at $30,000. If it comes in at the $20,000-$25,000 range without all the leather, moonroof, and other fat I would really be into the next intrepid. Where is the current one assembled?
    Yes from what I have been told we will be keeping the 2.7 / 3.5 and be adding the 5.7 V8 to the list,heard 300 h.p to start on the 8. The current Intrepid and the next generation car for 2004 code named LX are and will be built in Brampton, Ontario , Canada. Yes I am also glad to hear we are going RWD.Who knows a V8 powered RWD car would sure look good in my driveway
    I would love to see the 4.7L from the Grand Cherokee and Dodge Ram put into the 2004 LX sedans.

I think that the 2.7L does not produce enough torque for these heavy cars. I would not consider the 3.5L because of the timing belt. I could not afford the cars with the 5.7L Hemi.
    I have read that displacement is the well-spring of torque. If true, the 2.7 could be improved by boring or stroking the engine to, say, 3.2L. I don't know if it's possible, but usually the first engine is produced with "room to grow" maintained. I think the 2.7L engine is a good one. It's smooth, economical, truly high-tech, and even has the timing chain. I would hope they would produce more variations of that design, like more cubic inches (or litres) of displacement.
    the 3.5l and now defunct 3.2l engines are very good motors, despite having a timing belt. the first generation intrepid's ('93-'97) 3.5l engine was given a bad name due to faulty water pumps that would seize and cause failure of the timing belt. that problem was fixed around '97-'98. as long as you replace the "belt" around 100k, you most likely won't have any problems...

btw, timing chains can fail too, and i would never go past 100k even on a timing chain since almost all of todays engines are not free wheeling and therefore a timing belt/chain failure could be very expensive! just my two cents...
    ottowkr,

do you have any specific info on the upcoming lx engines? personally, i kinda doubt the 2.7l will make it into the new rwd cars. i suspect the offerings will be 3.5l v6, 4.7l v8 and finally the 5.7l hemi v8 for the 300n. it would be an awefully huge jump from 3.5l to 5.7l, wouldn't it??
    al lI know is what we have been told , 2.7 ,3.5 and 5.7. Maybe the 2.7 get more power??
    The 2.7 doesn't need more horsepower; it needs more low-end torque. The only easy way to get that is to increase displacement.
    I drive my car mostly on the highway (about 75%), so I follow the regular (not severe use) maintenance schedule - except for oil changes. I just can't bring myself to go 7,500 miles between changes. I am wondering about the transmission. Should I change fluid more frequently? I have 28K miles and no trouble, but I don't want any trouble, either. Any suggestions? Also, opinions on transmission fluid change (machine) vs. fluid and filter? The machine DOES get virtually all fluid, while dropping the pan changes filter but leaves old fluid in the converter, etc.
    homerkc,

my '00 intrepid had the new "lifetime" tranny fluid (atf+4). which basically said you'd never have to change the tranny fluid under normal conditions. i still would change that around 60k if it were me...what does your owner's manual say??

as for using the machine vs just dropping the pan. for a car that probably doesn't tow anything, i'd say just dropping the pan should be enough.
    I had the tranny fluid in my '00 Intrepid (base model) changed at 30K miles. My mechanic said it needed it, too. I used that car to deliver pizzas though, so it definitely qualified for severe service! Last time I had it in for a checkup was at 50,000 miles. They checked it out and said it looked fine, and that I shouldn't have to worry about it again until about 75,000 miles. I don't deliver pizzas anymore, and have taken some long trips, so the tranny's not getting the abuse this time around.

As for the 2.7 and needing more torque, couldn't they just play around with it some, like with that active intake valve they used to have on the ES when it had a 2.7? It only gave it about 5 extra ft-lb of peak torque, but it raised the torque curve across the board, up to around 4,000 rpm where it peaked at 195 ft-lb. And around 5000 rpm, it still had the same 190 ft-lb as the regular 2.7. Or couldn't they revise the transmission ratios to give it a quicker first gear, so you could get to peak torque more quickly?

I think the Crossfire concept car has a 275 hp 2.7, so the engine is capable of a lot more that what it's doing.
    Well, being that it is so quiet in here, I will throw some stuff out there about my Intrepid. After nearly 2 months of ownership and 1600 miles, I am pleased with the car so far. Only problem is the driver's door speaker is blown (has been since delivery). Dealer called today to say the part is in. Had the oil changed last week at 1500 miles (my old mechanic said that you should change the oil early on the first one to get out the metal filings on a new engine), plus the local dealer sells a 5 oil change package - 5 changes with filter for $75, not bad.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that the thing makes the white steam in the cold weather for a real long time. At an idle, even after a 30 mile highway drive in dry conditions, it blew the white steam. Also a bit of a burning smell has persisted, but seems to be going away (I know most new cars do it), but both of these things are a bit weird. No soot in the tailpipe, and coolant is A-ok. Anybody with any thoughts?
    My guess would be that they spilled oil somewhere when they changed it, and you're smelling it burning off of the manifold. The last time I had the dealer change my oil, I think they got more on the engine than in it! Another reason why I prefer to do it myself. That, and the dealer charged me $26.95! But hey, it was cold out, the car was already in for warranty work, and I was leaving on a long trip that weekend. So I just didn't feel like messing with it myself.

You probably did a good thing, changing the oil early. I've heard conflicting stories on whether it's really necessary or not anymore, but I say better safe than sorry! Although I waited until about 2000 miles before my change.

I wouldn't worry too much about the white steam, unless you start smelling antifreeze, too! I think the white steam is just a by-product of today's cleaner-running cars. They burn more cleanly, but also run leaner, which means they suck in more air. I'd guess the steam is just the moisture from the air that was used in combustion.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    I believe it has a 215hp 3.2L.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Hello gang... Hope all is well. Haven't been around since before Christmas. EMALE! How are you? I knew you wouldn't be able to stay away. Thanks for the fast read on the return of "jeffey"--apparently he's strayed from his therapist again.
    Regarding this "debate" on the 2.7. Having driven several base Intrepid's with the 2.7, I too think it is a great engine. Yes it is a bit light on torque (especially in heavier vehicles). DC COULD increase torque and hp by adding variable valve timing control (as other manufacturers do) but I doubt they would.
    I'm still hopeful that the next Intrepid will be front drive and exhibit the same continual improvement evidenced from Gen 1 to Gen 2.. Peace and prosperity to all!
  • tspangltspangl Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any experience with wheel swapping on these cars? I have a 98 Intrepid that I want to put a set of chrome wheels on from a 300m. The dealer was absolutely no help. I'm not sure about clearance and offset. Also, are the lug nuts specific? Thanks
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I know the wheels on the R/T and the 300M with the PHP package are the exact same size.

I would compare the specs on the tires, that should tell you all you need to know to make a decision.
  • rikstrrikstr Member Posts: 4
    I loved the look, the lines, the handling, the performance was great. After 37000mi. on my 99" a new set of Michelin's and 16" alloys, the road noise was still so intense I couldn't take it any more. The plastic inner fender wells just don't get it. My friend has a 300M and complains of the same thing, 32K for a nice 300M and it still has plastic fender wells, what are they thinking. Just got a 2002 Toyota Solara with everything on it. Wow, no plastic fender wells, actually has metal fender wells with acoustic dampening material, what a concept! Chrysler needs to get back to old days of a solid car. The new generation is just a little short on quality, compared to it's peers......Sorry, but it's the sad truth
    All wheels from all year LH cars will fit any LH car.
    The next Intrepid will definitely be RWD. It will be out in 2004.
    hey jason,

glad to hear your still around...! i must admit that i'm a little disappointed the next generation lh cars won't be fwd. hopefully dc will at least offer awd.

rikstr,

whether the inner wheel well is plastic or metal makes little difference. the problem with the lh cars is that they don't have quite enough suspension isolation and therefore road noise infiltrates the cabin more than in cars such as a wallowy camry or buick. the trade off is excellent handling and ride characteristics...
    Intrepids on 16x7 rims, and have 225/60/R16 tires. A Buick LeSabre uses 215/70/R15 tires on 15" rims (probably 6 or 6.5" wide), so naturally it's going to be softer, gentler, and quieter as it wisks its occupants off to the beauty parlor for their weekly blue rinse. A Camry V-6 rides on 215/60/R166 rubber, mounted on 16x6.5" rims. Taking only the tires and rims into consideration, I'd imagine that the Camry would ride as rough as the Intrepid, but not handle quite as well. Not sure what Toyota does to their suspensions though.

As for road noise though, Emale's right. The fender wells have nothing to do with it. My grandmother's '85 LeSabre has plastic fender wells, and it's one of the quietest cars I've ever driven. I'm not going to comment on handling, though ;-)
    Well, after I waited over a week for an appointment at the local 5 Star Dodge dealer having told them I had a blown speaker in my 8 week old 2002 Intrepid, they had the car half the day to tell me they ordered the part (also changed the oil, whoppee!). After two weeks went by, I took it in today to have the new speaker installed. Oh, and by the way, it was at the ever-convenient time of 8am today. So at about 915am they shout out my name that the car is ready. Only problem, they ordered the wrong speaker, and it will be another 2 weeks or so until they get another. I'd hate to see how idiotic these people would be if they weren't such a "5 Star" dealership.
  • rdg1rdg1 Member Posts: 10
    I have a new '02 Intrepid. I noticed POST 935 mentions a burning smell. Mine has had a smell of burning plastic since new and it now has over 1000 miles. This is NOT the typical new car smell of things being used fo rthe first time, such as stickers burning off the exhaust, etc. It smells exactly like burning plastic and is emitted from the engine compartment for an hour or two after the vehicle has been driven to full temp. Anyone else seeing (smelling) this or have any ideas? I've had it up on a hoist and can't find a thing. Have an appointment for next Monday to have Dodge dealer check it out.
    the smell is normal...it will disappear within a few thousand miles, or at least that was my experience with 3 new intrepids (96,98,00).
  • intrigue2intrigue2 Member Posts: 46
    thought i'd look into the intrepid site to see how you all are.glad to hear the majority are having no problems with their chrysler products,they are beautiful vehicles.the 98 intrigue still humming along at 45,000 miles with no problems,the 2000 legacy gt just hit 35,000 miles with only minor non-recommended maintenance expenses,windshield wipers and tires.any info on the new pacifica,i recommended an awd town and country to my girlfriend,but the pacifica would better suit her needs,she now has a durango.glad to see the two stalwart chrysler devotees,emale and jason5 are still here,but has jeffew left.continued good luck with your vehicles.any truth to chrysler going awd with the intrepid,makes a world of difference in performance.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    Unfortunately the AC compressor on our beloved '99 ES went the way of the junk yard at only 42,000 miles. Of course, I didn't buy an extended warranty, and am still glad I didn't. The ES does have an automatic cooling/heating system so the compressor runs a lot, particularly here in the hot, humid Southeast. Still, I would have expected it to last longer than it did.

Otherwise, still a great car all around. The noise issue is a matter of taste. I kind of like the sounds it makes. The road noise became considerably less when I changed from the Eagles to Cooper Lifeliners. (My family owns a Cooper dealership, so take that recommendation as coming from a biased source.)

Has anyone sprayed the wheel wells with undercoating to reduce the noise they don't like?

Ed
  • phardyphardy Member Posts: 12
    Hello all,

I have 37,000+ miles on my 2000 ES. On Wednesday, the car started acting up. Whenever I took my foot off the gas pedal, the car would stall. I had the car towed to the dealership and the mechanic told me that there was "lots of carbon in the passages in the intake manifold." He also said that there was "lots of carbon in the idle speed motor" and that he would replace it. He said my problem may be due to a lot of stop and go driving.

Has anyone had this problem before? Could this also be caused by waiting to fill the gas tank when the fuel level drops down to an 1/8 of a tank?

Thanks.