Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• dallasgadallasga Member Posts: 1
    I am currently looking at my first Toyota and wondered if I could get an opinion. I drive about 40K miles per year and trade every 24months. I just test drove a 98 Avalon XL this morning. Wow, what a car. I always looked at the Avalon as being a bit too old for me. My dad works for Ford so we always drove Fords. We currently have a 2001 Windstar SEL (all decked out) and a 98 Ford Taurus SE.

I was very impressed with the Avalon. The car has 89k miles and is clean as a pin. A local fellow I know owns it and he has had a Toyota dealer perform all maintenance. Car is verrrry nice. My questions are
    1. Any known problems with the 1998 that I should know about.
    2. Do you think $11K (no sales tax) for this car is reasonable. I checked both Edmunds & Kelly and found the numbers to look pretty good. What do you think?

Thanks for any info and advice you can provide. After reading many of the posts here, I want an Avalon even more now. Can't afford a new one though. Too many miles on new cars cost me way too much money.
  • nbrooke23nbrooke23 Member Posts: 1
    some ways of spotting a repaint have been mentioned, i.e. feeling around the edges of the hood. particularly where the hood meets the cowl near the windsheild. body shops find it difficult and time consuming to "tape" this portion of the car completely before painting. and, as this part of the car it so well hidden to all but those that are actively seeking it out, it doesnt contribute to the "OEM" look that everyone is after with a new paint job.
    i work in sales and leasing at a toyota dealership and am often the first person in line to see someones trade in. there are other dead giveaways in telling whether a car has been painted (by the way the comment was made that painting a car to reduce the appearance of rock chips would bring down resale or trade in values, this is absolutely true. dealerships, when taking cars in trade can not afford to give the benefit of the doubt on this. because if the dealer is going to recondition the car and sell it on his lot prospective buyers if the notice the repaint will also jump to the conclusion that it was in an accident rather than having been painted just for asthetics) when you pop the hood on any car just look at the bolts holding the fender to the chassis do they have marks on them to suggest that they have been turned with a wrench? are some bolts painted and some bolts not? probably the biggest giveaway of all is that most cars these days and certainly toyotas come with theft protection stickers on all body panels (hood, fenders, doors, trunk) they are intented to allow the police to accurately track cars that have been stripped into many pieces and are suppose to be a theft deterent. these stickers can not be replaced once removed. and if the attempt is made to "tape" them the paint will likely run onto the stickers
  • pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    I am looking at a used 2000 Avalon XLS with 11,000Km on it, mint condition. What would be the $ value in Canada (British Columbia). This is from a Toyota dealership (manager's car). If I could get a wholesale value, that would be best as I have a trade-in and would like to deal wholesale-wholesale.

I am a bit concerned about buying a first production year model. Should I get a new (discounted) 2001 instead? Any known problems for the 2000 model?

Thanks a lot!
  • wcpwcp Member Posts: 40
    I agree with teo. With modern equipment and technology a good body shop can match the color of the original paint with little problem. But the even the best body shop paint job cannot match the quality of the factory paint. I had a Honda Accord which was involved in an accident in the first year of my ownership. I took it to the best shop in town to have the fender repainted. It did look like new, same shiny color. But six years later the repainted part started to peel and bubble. One more year later rust spots came out while the rest of the car was still in excellent shape, with some stone chips but not a single rust spot.
  • glenns1939glenns1939 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks to those of you who mentioned the service bulletin about the fix for the green reflection problem. I have a 2000 XLS that I love but the reflection drove me crazy at night, and turning the back light down made it difficult to read the dash indicators. The fix took less than an hour and involved five parts. The glass looks less curved, if not flat and looks great! Oh, when I called my dealer I had to tell them about the bulletin and give them the number-they said mine was the first they did, but bet it won't be the last. Otherwise I've had my Avalon for more than a year without any of the problems mentioned on this board except the reflection problem. It is quiet,powerful,economical and plush. Life is good! I live in the country (boondocks) so going anywhere involves at least an hour,so I put on a CD and travel in complete isolation from outside noises. Unfortunately it would take more than a car to isolate anyone from the grasp of terrorism and its consequences. America is blessed, but we certainly must be cognizant of those who equate us with Satan, and this act must not go unpunished. I can't fathom those who believe that " a friend of my enemy is my enemy " and who value life so little that innocent civilians become their unwitting victims. My prayers go out to the victims of the ruthless acts of barbarians who kill without compunction.
    I can get a used (dealer own's car) 2000 Avalon XLS, black, grey leather, put on the road February 2001, 7,000 miles, for the equivalent of US$23,000, including the Platinum warranty (5 years [from Feb 01] 65,000 miles). I am in Vancouver, British Columbia (west coast).

Is this a good deal?

Thanks!

Pat.
    Sounds like a great deal if the car itself is free of damage. The mileage is low, and you have the warranty. I bought a 2000 XLS with everything less wheel locks for $30,300 (package 7 plus gold,VSC,full mats and power moon roof). I have less than 6000 miles and your price sounds great if it is simarily equipped.
    Thanks for the input Glenn.

I am not sure what package number it is but it has the following: power moonroof, leather, 6CD changer, traction and VSC. No accident, excellent condition. Looks like I am going to buy it!

Thanks again!

Pat.
  • tankfranktankfrank Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone installed a gold emblem package such as that available from ToyotaParts4U?

Any special tools or care needed?

Tankfrank
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Briefly - have now passed 70,000 highway miles on my 1999 Avalon XL. Still ticks like a fine watch. Still getting OVER 30 mpg with 2 passengers and luggage, running about 65 to 70 mph. This is already one of the best cars ever built. Never been repaired. Just the routine owner's manual stuff. And it keeps going and going and going....
  • jyoderjyoder Member Posts: 2
    I'm not for sure if this is a problem or not. Maybe someone else has noticed this with their 2001 Avalon. When we are traveling up/down small hills with the cruise control on (set around 70) it seems like it takes a long time to go into overdrive. Also, my husband thinks it shifts hard when it does. Has anyone else noticed this?

Other than the paint chips and a few minor things I don't like about the car, I'd recommend it to anyone!
  • unooneunoone Member Posts: 3
    As the owner of a 2000 Avalon I am wondering what kind of oil usage other owners might report. As for me I change the motor oil myself at 3000-4000 miles and never have had to add a quart in between changes. Well,this is nice but in some ways it bothers me because I've never owned a car that didn't use some oil. Certainly there is no coolant leak because I haven't added any in the 18 months I've owned the car and until I took it back to Toyota for the child seat recall last week it's never been to a service center.
  • asawasaw Member Posts: 54
    Can anyone who has driven both the Avalon and Camry V6 comment on the ride, power and responsiveness of the two sibling cars?
  • aloalo Member Posts: 35
    I've a 96 Avalon and I never need to add oil between oil changes. I had a 71 Chevy Vega and it burned a quart every 200 miles.
  • michele37michele37 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my 2001 Toyota Avalon XLS this past June. The car was manufactured May 2001. I have 2,200 miles on the car and I'm starting to hear strange noises.
    About 3 weeks ago, I started hearing a loud ping from the engine. Most of the time I hear this noise right after I shut off the car after a long commute (45 minute drive, mixture of heavy traffic highway and stop and go). I also hear this noise before I shut off the engine (when I leave my car idle in the driveway after the long commute). At first the dealer told me it was the exhaust cooling off. They were not able to reproduce the noise. They did however put the following on my invoice, "Exhaust pipe bracket clamp hitting body - adjusted bracket and shield." I'm still hearing the noise. Could this noise be a valve tap? I have not had my first oil change yet.
    I also hear a vibration noise in the passenger side dash board when I go over small bumps at low speeds (at least that's where it sounds like it's coming from). The dealer tightened a bracket under the dashboard at the side ventilator duct. When I drove with the service technician I didn't hear the noise. Of course, as soon as I was out on the road I started hearing it again.
    I also have a noise coming from my steering wheel. I park in a multi-level parking garage at my work and about 2 weeks ago the car started making a high pitch sound "screech" when I make sharp turns around the ascend and descend ramps.
    I would like to know if any other Avalon owners have experienced these noises. If you were able to have them fixed, can you tell me what the dealership did and what parts were involved.
  • michele37michele37 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your response. The service technician was able to reproduce the sound that day. He tightened the side ventilator duct bracket. We then went for a ride and I didn't hear the vibration noise - I was elated. About two hours after I left the dealership, I started hearing the noise again, but not as loud. It has now been 5 days since I've been to the dealership and the vibration noise has been getting increasingly louder (especially in cooler weather). I believe the duct bracket was part of the problem. Maybe the technician didn't tighten the bracket enough or maybe I have another problem (struts) that is causing the bracket to loosen. I am determined to get to the bottom of these noises. I don't think a thirty-something thousand dollar car should have a vibration noise in the dash. Is the climate control filter the same as the air condition filter? Did your dealership do anything to try to correct the noise - pull the dashboard off, etc.? You had mentioned drowning out the noise with the radio (not an option, this is really eating at me) - I had thought about the speakers. Sometimes a bad speaker gives off a vibration noise. I will keep you informed of my progress. Wish me luck.
  • oddenbarkinoddenbarkin Member Posts: 1
    I am building a mind picture of my first Avalon which I hope to purchase in the next month or so. I want the moonroof but I'm fussin' about the wind deflector. It doesn't look that good. But does anyone have any experience with it? Does it work? Can I speed down the road with the roof open and does the deflector keep the rush of air out of the car? Or must I still speed down my driveway at 5 mph with the roof open to benefit from the fresh air? It doesn't cost much but does it work? Is it worth it?
    I use a deflector on my 96 Avalon and it does help to reduce wind noise but not totally eliminates it. Another advantage is that with the deflector, the moonroof can be opened during light rain. I also open the moonroof a crack in the commutor lot in summer and I don't have to worry about unexpected rain showers.

I take it off during the winter months since it does scuff up the black paint surface a little.

Hope this help.

AL
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    We' have a 2000 Avalon XLS with all the bells, whistles and other uninvited guests. We went through a rattle eradication period with Toyota last year! A few they fixed, a few we still enjoy. If you buy an Avalon, you take your chances. Some rattle, some don't. The ones that do are rarely fixed from we've experienced and read here.
    If you want a rattle free Avalon, buy a Lexus or an Acura. Toyota is sourcing a very large percentage of materials for their cars here in the US. The same vendors supply Ford and Chevy. You figure out the result.
  • donellmdonellm Member Posts: 3
    Ref number 1135 by dp89jp. Bought in Central Florida 2002Avalon XLs,
    with GU pkg6 (6 CD changer, 16 in wheels, leather),white pearl, mats, gold pkg. No moonroof. No trade in. For all above, 6 per cent sales tax, and license & registration, gave dealer check for $30,500. Buying extended warranty, using reference by GSchiel. Showed dealer service manager paint problem experienced by mikid.
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    last year i was in my friends 2000 avalon xl, it had really really good ride quality, 3 weeks ago i was in his cousins new 2001 lexus es 300, and i oticed that the wind noise and ride isnt close to the avalons......do u guys think an avalon has better ride and noise quality than a jaguar x-type?
  • funtallyfuntally Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Avalon and this evening my five-year old was pulling on the rear inside door handle to open the door while I was trying to unlock it from the panel on the drivers' door. Apparently, something broke, because now the door will not open from the inside, only from the outside. Has anyone else had this problem? Is this a quick (and hopefully inexpensive) problem to fix? THANKS.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    While I have a 2000 Avalon XLS with no problems, I DID have a 1996 Avalon XLS with this problem.

Just one day the rear passenger door didn't open from the inside. While I never got it fixed, I imagine it would only be a small part.

Toyota would probably take off the interior door panel, and then replace whatever small part it takes to get the door to open.

Luckily, since I'm usually the only person in my car, I didn't really feel like fixing it and Car Max didn't notice it when I traded it in so.......
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    Since, you have a 2000 Avalon it should still be under warranty, unless you exceeded the miles. Take it to the dealer to have them look at it and if repairs are necessary, it should be covered under the warranty.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    Have you checked the Child door tab on rear door? Sounds like that got moved and if thats the case, INSIDE DOOR HANDLE IS DIS-ENGAGED.
  • wachsmuthwachsmuth Member Posts: 19
    I'd like to buy a 2002 Avalon XLS, Lunar Mist. However, I am concerned by some of the posts which describe problems with the silver paint chipping, suspension problems, and gas acceleration at times. Does anyone know whether Toyota pays any attention to these complaints from Avalon customers, and tries to correct these defects?
    Is it true that Toyota is coming out with an Avalon Limited (or Special Edition), with some modifications?
    Any input would be appreciated by this newcomer!
  • wachsmuthwachsmuth Member Posts: 19
    Ok, it's me again. After 2 years of research on the Avalon, I was dumbfounded today to read that it requires premium, not regular fuel. IS THIS TRUE????? Anyone out there - help me on this! My Consumer's Report says regular fuel, so I assumed that was true.
  • n4pyn4py Member Posts: 10
    The Avalon runs just fine on 87 octane fuel. Premium fuel is not necessary. This information is in the owners manual.
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    My dealer (Stevens Creek Toyota in San Jose)researched the TSB referring to the reflection of the speedometer on the windshield during night driving. Apparently the TSB indicates that my VIN # includes the vehicles that have already been fixed during production. But, I still experience this reflection! Any suggestions?
  • boordboord Member Posts: 27
    I've tested my 2000 Avalon with both premium and regular and noticed no difference in either miles per gallon or "performance". The only difference is in your pocketbook at the gas station.
  • rrzeparrzepa Member Posts: 11
    I went to a dealer last week to have it fixed (glare from the dashboard on the side window at
    night). Finally, I tested (i.e. drove home late
    night) yesterday and noticed that indeed the glare is still present. Seems to me that it is
    smaller but I guess it would depend on the position of your chair and your height.
    Summerizing, got better but NOT fixed!!!!
  • h3ybfpfh3ybfpf Member Posts: 16
    I want to buy an XL model and need to know what EXTRAS would I get with GK package @ MSRP $2755 vs LP package @ MSRP 1915.

I can't find any difference between the two packages, however, the window sticker indicates $840 difference in MSRP.

LP Luxury Package
    Includes 15" x 6" aluminum wheels, leather power seats, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, JBL Premium 3-in-1 AM/FM Cassette/CD player with 7 speakers including a subwoofer, diversity antenna and remote keyless entry. NOT AVAILABLE with GK, GH, GI, DJ or LT.

GK Package #4
    Includes keyless entry, 15" x 6" aluminum wheels, leather-trimmed power seats, leather shift knob and leather steering wheel. NOT AVAILABLE with GH or GI or LP or LT.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I finally had a chance to see this, late at nite. It is a complete reflection of the radio, heater controls, etc. Dealer says they can get the fix and I believe I will have them do it. I didn't see anything on the side window but wasn't really looking for it there.
    What year is your Avalon? My reflection is just a portion of the speedo. Toyota will do nothing about it except document the problem because my 01 was apparently fixed during production. I have filed a report with the NHTSA. Oh well. Still love the car though!
  • rzep22rzep22 Member Posts: 6
    My Avalon is 2001 XL. Before the "fix", entire dashboard (in correct proportions) was reflected in the side (driver) window. Right now seems as the reflection is smaller and it may become very small if I have my sit position in certain place or if I don't move my torso too much.

Was it worth the time to get this "fix" ? - not sure.

BTW, I have no reflection in the front windshield (or maybe I have not paid enough attention).
  • markxdmarkxd Member Posts: 4
    I am also experiencing the glare of the speedometer in the windshield.

My car had the new instrument cluster installed during manufacture but the Toyota dealership replaced it anyway. It didn't help. The dealership called the regional service center and they said there was nothing that they could do since it was the way the car was designed.... there were no parts to fix or replace. So I asked what I could do next. The dealership said the only thing that I could do is to call Toyota Customer Service.

I called and registered my complaint and I received a call back on the problem the next day (today). The representative said that there was nothing they could do for the same reasons given above, it was the design of the car. The rep also said that my complaint was only the second one that they've heard on this. I asked what I could do to resolve this problem. The rep said that I could pursue arbitration to possibly settle the issue. I told her I didn't want to be a jerk or anything, I would just like the car fixed but I didn't see how arbitration would fix anything.

Anyone have thoughts on arbitration and if it would solve anything?

I would recommend that others experiencing the glare problem to call the Toyota Customer Service center and register a complaint (1-800-331-4331). The rep implied that if enough people complained maybe something could be done.
    Thanks for the info. I'll call them and
    complain as well. I guess good question
    for them is that if only one (or two) people
    have complains - why did they come up with TSB
    and repair kit.

I definetly would not bother with arbitration, benefit to wasted time ratio is way too small
    for me.
  • vbanks1vbanks1 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a 2002 Avalon XLS and I believe that I have made an excellent choice. However, I think Toyota could have offered a wider tire. I've been told that the stock 16" rims can fit 215's, but does anybody know if 225's will fit? I think the Av message board is great.
  • thomcinthomcin Member Posts: 29
    I own a 2000 Avalon with 38,000 + miles on it. Recently my check engine light kept coming on. My dealer hooked it up to the computer and it indicated that one cylinder was misfiring. I have been told that I need to replace the two injectors
    on that cylinder @ a cost of $350. My question is are fuel injectors covered under the 5 year 60,000
    mile warrenty ? If not, is $350 too much to do this work. Please advise. Thanks
  • yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    That is rediculous. They should replace them . I had an experience with Dodge on an Intrepid and had to suggest that I had a very good law firms in New York who loved to sue car companies. No wonder Toyota has the worst reputation among customers although they sell a very good car
    Try another dealer. Fuel injectors should last much longer than 2 years. It should be covered under the 5 year warranty (assuming you bought the extended one). I don't think this is part of the powertrain (5/60K) warranty.

The price does not look too bad. I don't think that parts are that expensive but it is lots of labor (~ 2 hours per injector) to replace them.

Regardless, I would still go to another dealer to make sure that the first one was correct. What about wires/sparks... either faulty wire or plug will cause misfires as well.

Also, I would put premium gas and take it on Highway at high speed (I do it once/twice every couple months). This re-freshes the injectors. Obviously if you have faulty one or really clugged up, this will not help.
    Since your warranty had barely expired, and since this shouldn't have happened anyway with a car as good as the Avalon, go to your manual and look up the Toyota Customer Relations number and complain VERY GRACIOUSLY about how great a car the Avalon is BUT..... They often work with you when you don't yell and scream, but are persistent in insisting that a quality vehicle shouldn't have such a quality problem. It worked with me when my 1995 Avalon that actually had less than 35000 miles but was beyond the three year time period. Toyota picked up most of the cost. As a result I soon bought a new 2000 Avalon XLS. I indicated that their action would determine my loyalty to Toyota. They gave in and they got another future sale. Give it a try.Glenn
  • gentlegiantgentlegiant Member Posts: 12
    how do you all feel about consumer reports now ranking the reliability of the avalon as AVERAGE? this places it in the same territory as the crown vic/grand marquis and lesabre in terms of reliability. this must mean that lots of people (like the many who post here) are having trouble with their avalons. as a former avalon owner considering a new one, i find this troubling. i got rid of my previous one because it had so many persistent problems, yet i have not found another car that is as comfortable (i'm 6'7") and still handles with speed and some amount of sportiness. i'm curious to know what everyone here thinks about the new consumer reports classification.

cheers,
    gentlegiant
  • jimcarrjimcarr Member Posts: 37
    Gentle giant

I am driving my second Avalon. The first one (98) went 30k miles and never saw the dealer. My present one (2k) has 32k miles and has never been back either.

My driving experience goes back to WW2 and I will state without reservation that these cars are as good as one can purchase.

They have my unqualified approval as to being an excellent automobile.
  • rzep22rzep22 Member Posts: 6
    My 2001 with 12K (owned almost for one year now) had few problems but those were items which I could have ignored and kept going. For example, the dashboard reflection issue and rear seatbelt recall.

I'd definetly recommend one. Surely beats my other car (GM) when brand new (4-5 years ago) went thru 3 alternators in first 3-4 months and still has some "unaeasy" idle.
    I'll have to check. Sometimes we can worry too much. I'm usually NEVER completely satisfied with a car, but this Avalon is one fine auto!
    My 96 Avalon has 63000 miles and still drives like when it was new. Issues are few and far between. The dealer replaced a warped rotor free at 40000 mils.

95-96 Avalons had some first generation problems but they sure beat any large American cars I can think of.
  • dkuehndkuehn Member Posts: 2
    Thinking of buying a 02 Avalon xls,does anyone know if the 03 will be changed?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    According to Toyota's typical 5 year production cycle, the 2003 will likely be "freshened"- in the past, for the Avalon (introduced for 95, freshened for 98, redesigned for 2000) this meant a slight power upgrade, new front grille and taillamps, equipment upgrades. I'd expect to see the same this time around. I also wouldnt be surprised to if Side Curtain Airbags became available.
    ~alpha
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Based upon my personal experience I would say the Avalon is much better than average in reliability and dependability.

I have owned my 2000 XLS for about 18 months and 18,400 miles now, and the only problem that I have experienced to date is a rattle in the glove box side of the dashboard. Compared to our Volvo S-70, the Avalon is a dream machine.

Where I rate the Avalon as average, however, is how "common place" the car has become. For me, going to work in the morning seems like an Avalon parade. In my opinion, such commonality has made the car seem ordinary.

With the price of the 2002 substantially lower than the 2000 it appears that Toyota is trying to eliminate the Avalon from its line up and instead concentrate on the Camry. I hope not, because the Avalon is the most trouble-free "mid-luxury" large sedan out there.