Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    You can get option pricing for invoice, MSRP and TMV here on Edmunds. Click the New button on the home page, then Toyota from the list and then Avalon.

TMV is zipcode specific and ought to represent what people are reporting as paying for Avalons in your area.

You also will get a page full of pop-ups for dealers in your area. Try each one on the net or over the phone and see what you can get them to offer.

It also helps to approach the purchase from an 'out the door price'. Add in the sales tax you will pay and typical registry and titling fees that you think are reasonable.

Always talk 'out the door' price with the sales team. To prepare for this, go to the toyota.com website. Select build you own and put in your zip code. Toyota will show you the 'popular' packages for area ( i.e. the ones they are shipping to where you live ). You can price them online and then go back to Edmunds to get TMV and invoice. Most of the cars on their lot will be one of these. Figure out the out the door on each that you are willing to pay.

As they say in the Westerns, "Son, that gun fires faster when the bullets is alreddy in it".

If you just deal from 'over invoice' leaves the sales guys open to 'etch your glass', charge for 'Toyo Guard' on your fabric ( very common down South where salemen must have soiled trousers or something) and other add ons. If the carpet set isn't on the sticker, don't buy it from them at list. Ask for 40% off and if they won't sell it at that, buy it online from toyotaparts4u.com.

Also, if you are trading, call the used car department at the dealership and tell them you just inherited a 'whatever it is you have that you want to trade' and need to dispose of it and see what you get offered.

Use that as the low benchmark in the deal for the new car if a trade is a part of the equation.

Agreed out the door price minus lowest trade equals your max cash out of pocket. If they over more than the used car guys and meet your out the door price, you are ahead of the game.

Don't talk lease or financing until you've settled on a price. Don't tell the sales people any more about your financial circumstances than you have to. They take cash, but like to get you to finance it, since they often get inception fees and kick backs from the loan. If you belong to a credit union or have good credit, get a quote for the deal up front from CU, bank or finance compay. Ask the dealership to beat it with no change in the out the door price.

The 03 is fresh to the lots but you still ought to be able to deal in the range you want. 02's ought to be well under invoice!

Good luck and let us know how you do!
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    Just ordered a pair of WeatherFlector window air deflectors made by ClimAir for my wifes 03 Avalon. These are the best on the market, they do not stick or tape on, they fit inside the window channel. They will not interfere with the window operation.

At this time they are only available for the front windows. I have a set for both front and rear windows on my 4Runner and they are great. When parked on a hot summer day, crack the windows 2 - 3" to keep the inside much cooler and no worry about rain. This is another option that Toyota should offer, they work great.

MacNeil Automotive:

http://www.weathertech.com/main.asp

they are not yet listed for 03 Avalon but 02 is the same...

http://www.weathertech.com/store/vehsearch.asp?make_id=52&veh_id=638&year_no=2002&veh_opt_choice_id=&item_group_id=4

• gotshagotsha Member Posts: 8
    Yes, you're right. Another thing that Toyota failed to get straight. Only the drivers seat will go up and down.
  • gotshagotsha Member Posts: 8
    Yes, I had it set to auto. The service manager told me to turn the a/c off. I said what good is the auto setting if it doesn't work the way its suppose to. He told me that auto doesn't do anything but adjust the fan speed. When the car gets too cold you have to turn the a/c off. Someone should tell Toyota what auto a/c is suppose to mean.
  • maknarrmaknarr Member Posts: 3
    I just installed a set of black mudguards on my 02 XLS. Car only has 400 miles on it but brake dust was obvious behind all four wheels of our sandstone car. Guards are easy to install, buy a Craftsman ratchet style offset screwdriver for 10 bucks, lot easier to get in and around the front tires. You drill four small pilot holes in plastic, rest of the installation is easy. I recommend them for long term ownership.
  • hello52hello52 Member Posts: 11
    maknarr, where did you buy your mudguards? Thanks.

gotsha, I finally had a chance to ride in the passenger seat and noticed it too that the power seat does not go up and down.
  • maknarrmaknarr Member Posts: 3
    www.toyotaguys.com is a Toyota dealer in Washington. No sales tax, no shipping charge, and they sell at a discount from your local dealer. I just ordered winter floor mats, a case of oil filters, some other misc. stuff. My mudguards are genuine Toyota parts as is most of the stuff from this resource.
  • j_walkerj_walker Member Posts: 99
    hello52: If you want color-keyed mudguards, check out www.toyotaparts4u.com.
  • surrfurtomsurrfurtom Member Posts: 122
    I had a Pont GP 1970 (yes 32 years ago) that had auto A/C that worked perfectly until I sold it after 10 years of driving. Had an 82 Datsun 280ZX with auto A/C that never worked. It would cycle between hot and cold. I guess they designed it for an average temp., not absolute. Dealer never coud make it work right.

In 20 years I would have thought the Japanese could have figured out that auto A/C means set the temp and it holds that temp. and keeps everyone comfortable. It's good to hear they aren't perfect.
  • fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    You just precisely described the AutoAC in my '01 Mazda Millenia.

In the ten months and 7000 miles I have had it in central Florida, it has been set on Auto 76 degrees 98% or the time. The only exception is if I manually select front or rear defrost. It automatically adjusts fan speed and controls temperature regardless of whether it has sat in the sun for 5 hours, or sat in the garage overnight in 20 degree weather. It is also quiet (not silent) even on high speed. The Japanese do know how to do it. Maybe just not all of them.
    Today I received the color-keyed mudguards and door edge guards from www.toyotaparts4u.com for the diamond white pearl '03 Avalon with Nav I have on order. Delivery took a week from when I placed the order. The color looks like it will match perfectly. I'll know for certain tomorrow when I've had a chance to compare them to a diamond white pearl at a nearby dealership.
    For anyone contemplating purchasing an Avalon or any other Toyota for that matter, I suggest you call the Toyota Material Distribution Center at 1-800-622-2033 and order a copy of the User's Manuals for an explanation of how the vehicle operates as part of your research. You just don't have the time to thumb through the manual while at the dealership. I ordered both the Owner's Manual and Navigation System Owner's Manual for less than $10 a piece and they were shipped priority mail and arrived in approx. 3 days. Never having previously owned an Avalon and while I wait for delivery, I figured this was a great way for me to get some insight into what the car is and isn't capable of.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    For best results try the following:
    Press in the "AUTO" button
    Temperature: set to desired temperature
    Air intake to "FRESH" outside air
    A/C button on

This is the correct operation for the auto climate control and should maintain the desired/set temperature.

: )
    Mackabee
  • hello52hello52 Member Posts: 11
    mackabee, when I press the 'auto' button and then set the temperature, the system is already set on 'fressh' outside air the a the a/c button is already on. Do I need to press each one separately (i.e., 1st auto, 2nd temp, 3rd fresh air, 4th a/c)?

Thanks.
  • donellm1donellm1 Member Posts: 3
    Turn indicators on the dash show direction of turn, but the sound is so low that we can not hear it clicking. Particulary so when the A/C is on and fan is making noise.
    Does anyone know how to increase the clicking noise of the turn indicators when they are indicating either left or right turn?
  • gnawk719gnawk719 Member Posts: 14
    I will be purchasing a 2003 Avalon next month. Most of the messages on this board seem to indicate a preference for the diamond white pearl. Has anyone looked at any of the other colors and can recommend one(with an Interior).
    Ilive 6 months in Florida and 6 months in New York. My question about color is one of aesthetics rather than one of practicality(even though that is important). Thanks for your response.
    Anyone know the reason(s) why the side mirrors are fixed on the Avalon? This is not typical of other models. Just curious?
  • this1orthat1this1orthat1 Member Posts: 2
    Has the auto temperature control feature available on the XLS been resolved here? My wife has a 98 Acura and you set the temperature you wish the cabin to be at and you get cold air if the real inside temperature is warmer and you will get warm air if the inside temperature is colder than the temperature the system is set on. This is an enjoyable feature. I am considering the 03 Avalon XLS, however I am also considering the 03 Acura TL. To me the cars should be priced about the same. The Acura appears to have a higher resale after a few years. I do appreciate the slightly larger interior size of the Avalon. Is anyone else going through the Acura v. Avalon quandry?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    to this1orthat1: the question of Avalon vs. Acura has no answer. Acura has more resale value, true. But it also has a smaller back seat, trunk and gas tank. The ride is also different. On average, the quality of the cars is about equal, if you believe what most people write. And service should be equal at good dealerships. I drive a '99 XL and my neighbor has an '01 Acura. Nothing is perfect, but these are both fine cars...drive each one and decide. My Avalon has over 90,000 repair free miles on it but upgrade time is here. This is a tough call, but in my case, the '03 Avalon will win.
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    Any suggestions on shipping a brand new car from Boston to Atlanta?

Some of the questions I have:
    Are there local companies that transport cars?
    Who is responsible for dings and scratches?
    Is there a deductible for such damages?
    Do you have to leave a copy of the key?
    Would my homeowner insurance policy cover intransit damages?
    Does someone at the receiving end have to sign off on delivery?
    And about much should it cost?

Your helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
  • boordboord Member Posts: 27
    I recently drove my 2000 XLS from newport beach, ca to santa barbara. The outside temperatures ranged from 78 to 105. I pushed the auto button and set the temp at 72. In no way was this a set it and forget it proposition. When it was 105 outside the system went to inside air only and blew really cold air constantly. We had to set the control to 80 to get comfortable. When it was 78 outside and the temperature control was reset to 72, the outside air was let in and we were too hot so we had to set the temp control lower.

What gives? Should I bring it in for warranty service? Is this common? There seems to be a lot of posts on this subject lately. Thanks for any help.
    I am considering the above car in either phantom grey pearl or lunar mist metallic. Any comments or recommendations would be welcome.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Yes, there have been a lot of posts about this lately. I chalk that up to the fact that its hot.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a warranty claim here. From what I have seen and heard, your system is functioning as designed. The design may stink, but it is not "defective."
    Deluxcar

Try going over to ebaymotors.com. Shipping cars all over the country is part and parcel to the online car auction business.

On the ebaymotors.com home page they have a link to vehicle shipping. On that page is information from a company called DAS. They show a list of prices from different cities, including Boston to Orlando for $425 ( which is probably due to the car train ).

Anyway, I'd call them and ask them the questions who have above (800) 726-2693

Regards and good luck.

FYI - I think that Boston to Atlanta would be about 18 - 20 hours to drive running at "reasonable" speeds and minimum stops. Richmond, VA is about 1/2 way.
  • acco20acco20 Member Posts: 211
    Cliffy... I thought you might be kidding. How can that be normal. The system is designed to seek and maintain a preset temp. Is it not? Where in the manual does it say...If temp ouyside is 105, and you want to maintain a temp. of 72, set the preset to 80.
    Have you actually held a thermometer up to the temperature sensor inside an Avalon on a 105 degree day? It is quite possible that the ambient temperature never actually makes it down to 70 at that point in the car and therefore, it keeps cooling. That isn't a defect... its a design problem.
  • boordboord Member Posts: 27
    I have yet to see you post something that isn't correct. HOWEVER, you do present an interesting challenge. Where is the internal temperature sensor in the Avalon? It would be interesting to put a thermometer next to it and then next to the driver.

Thanks again
    I *think* it is at the small grate just to the right of the steering wheel. I've been wrong once or twice in my life, but I'm pretty sure that is it.
  • dave_bdave_b Member Posts: 8
    I am thinking about ordering a new Avalon. Are the dealers willing to order a car for you the way you want it?

Roughly how long does it take (I'm in SW Penna)?

Dave
  • rusty_98070rusty_98070 Member Posts: 7
    weekend on the Avalon threads here. Wow, lots
    of posts. Unfortuantely, I kind of feel that
    95% of them fall into the category of:
    1. reflection on dash lights on drivers window;
    2. air conditioner fluxuating;
    3. Rattles;
    4. gas mileage;
    5. Sound system unable to hold vol. and bal settings.
    To tell the truth, I feel like I've stumbled into
    a private club populated with clones of Niles and
    Frasier Crane.
    But, heck, that's okay. I guess.
    I bought a 2000 XLS for my wife. It has 59000
    miles on it. Pretty much all the bells and whistles on it. It was purchased from the Seattle Lexus Dealer, and have to say, they were wonderful to deal with. For those of you shopping, I paid $19980 for it. It was in excellent condition with
    all fluids filters changed and running gear inspected. Brakes and tires are around 60% to 40% worn. No blemishes, squeaks or defects that Ihave been able to find. I rides great. I'm really impressed with the traction control and the
    understeer/oversteer correction system.
    After reading about it's self adjusting abilites,
    I decided to give it a try and took it into a
    freeway on ramp that was rated at 45mph. I've
    exceeded that in the past, but not by a large
    margin. With the XLS, I came through it at
    around 80+ with no feeling of instability or
    drift. Pretty amazing.
    I do have a couple of questions that I hope
    someone can give some input on:
    Of course, like everyone, I'm concerned with the
    sludge issue. Seems that Toyota has stepped up
    to the plate with their 8 year warranty. Kudos
    for that. I doubt Ford or Chevy would every consider doing that.
    I am considering using Amsoil in the V6.
    My wife and I have kept our last family cars for
    15 and 17 years--we keep them until it doesn't
    make economic sense to put more money into them.
    So, I'm looking to get 200K miles out of the
    Avalon.
    I am also wondering what spark plugs are the
    best for this engine and whether or not the
    tranny and rear end should be changed to synthetics. The fluids were just replaced, so that isn't all that pressing. Just would like people's thoughts on it.
    Also, of course, the XLS has 16" tires and I'm
    wondering how people have fared going to the
    215s. Would snow chain wheel well clearances have a problem with larger tires?
    the XLS has the JBL sound system. It sucks.
    I'd worry more about the drifting on bal and fader it the system was good enough to be engrossing--But it is not. They voiced it for
    boombox flavor on the moth top 40 junk. My audiophile CDs (FIM, MFSL, JVC XRCD) sound terrible.
    Note: I did listen to a Mark Levinson system in
    the Lexus showroom that sounded okay. But, the
    JBL is really crap. Oh well, save my serious listening for home system.
    So, guys any suggestions on fluids, plugs and
    maintainence would be appreciated.
    Thrilled with the XLS. Frankly, being and old 53
    I find it much more enjoyable than the BMWs, MERCs, LINCOLNs and CADDYs I"ve driven. My wife
    likes the fact that it doesn't have the pretensious badging of some vehicles. Great car and look forward to spending many years with it.
    Regards,
    Rusty
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    Thanks footie for your response and very good suggestions. I did contact Dependable Auto Shippers and their price is $825 but you have to deliver the car to Burlington, MA. For an additional $130 they can provide door to door service.

But I am glad to report that I found an even better deal with American Auto Transporters (www.shipcar.com) of Canton, MA, my home town. They will deliver the car at the designated address in Atlanta for $525 including insurance.

Driving the car to Atlanta (1130 miles) is another option that we considered but decided against it since my daughter just got her drivers license only three weeks ago. I bought her a brand new Honda Civic LX sedan for her birthday since she was complaining how hard it was for her as a college student to get around Atlanta.
    Thanks footie for your help and suggestions.
    Well folks, it turns out that I won't be owning an Avalon afterall. Why? Because I bought the 2003 Infiniti G35 last evening. The exterior is ivory pearl with the graphite leather interior. All I can say is WOW! This is one beatiful car.
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    j_walker: Congrats on the Infiniti G35... it's a sharp vehicle. What are your plans for the Diamond White Color-keyed mudguards you already purchased?
  • sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    check with the dealer that you purchased your brand new Avalon from and ask them if they have a reliable driver that may be interested in driving your car to Atlanta. I have had vehicles that I have sold delivered by my drivers for a reasonable fee.

I pay $10-$12 per hour, food, lodging etc. and return airfare (southwest is cheap) bus or train.

I wouldn't want a total stranger driving my new 30k car 1100 miles in most situations but the dealer would know if they have the "right type" of person that could handle it
  • dogwooddogwood Member Posts: 19
    A couple of weeks ago we discussed an Avalon purchase at Boch Toyota. To make a long story short, I went to their lot, looked a couple of cars, and discovered the Avalon they had advertised for a come-on price the previous weekend. They were surprised it was still there on a Tuesday. Anyway, I drove it, loved it and bought it. A very painless negotiation, as they were a couple of thousand under invoice with their advertised price, and I had no trade. It's a 2002 XL in silver spruce, brand new, not a demo, and we've since put about 700 miles on it. Very smooth, quiet and comfortable, cruises the interstate at 80 if you want to, a great car. Thanks again for your helpful advice.
  • carquest2002carquest2002 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1995 Avalon XLS with 100,000 miles driven. I am purchasing a new car and considering keeping the Avalon as a second car. Over the past 7 years I have had no repairs or problems and have kept to the scheduled maintenance.
    Does anyone have any advice as to further reliability beyond 100,000 miles?
    02mdx: I plan to return them in a day or two along with the (color-keyed) door guards. Why do you ask?
    Ya know, Toyota does have a million mile club.
    Make it to that benchmark and they'll give you a new car.
    More realistically, unless the car was driven hard and put away wet as a driving style, I'd expect 200K from it before I started thinking
    about cost of repair vs cost of ownership.
    Regards,
    Rusty
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    j_walker: My wife drives a Diamond White Pearl '02 Avalon that I was considering purchasing the same color-keyed mudguards. If you have problems returning them, e-mail me gaijin_in_japan@hotmail.com

I'm pretty sure that the Avalon does not have mudguards as an option and dealers are using Camry mudguards which seem to fit perfectly. The Camry must use the same lower quarter panel as the Avalon?! Any users out there have mudguards on their Avalon? Have they been effective at keeping the road grime off the body? Please advise...
    a link to a site that does a credible job of

looking at oil:

http://www.tn-tacomas.com/maintenance/TacomaV6OilChange.html
  • aglasseraglasser Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone fiqured out a way to reduce the road noise (not wind noise)that you hear from the tires and road. This is annoying especially on less than perfect cement roads.

Also, has anyone tried to increase their tire and/or wheel size with these cars.

Thanks
    Enjoy your Avalon. I like the Silver Spruce a lot... it's very elegant and fits the Avalon's poise on the road very well.

We have a 2000 XLS, also bought at Boch that my wife drives. It's in Cognac Brown, a very rare 2000-only color that most people didn't like that she loved. It has around 16K on it with no major issues other than rattles and squeaks that they took care of during the first three months. They even got the Toyota Zone tech in Mansfield to come up and fix one of them and even replaced the front struts to end an odd squeak we heard going in and out of the driveway.

Good luck.
    Help me out guys(girls also). I am considering phantom grey pearl(new color) or lunar mist metalic. Any ideas,suggesstions, etc.
  • hearthishearthis Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    Wrote a while back regarding some issues with persistent rattles in my Avalon XLS, 2002.
    (purchased in Attleboro, MA)
    After four visits, still no resolution. Dealer says they'll have area "specialist" in to check, but before that, they want to replace rear windshield (for rear passenger area rattle). I am concerned this will only create more issues.
    Footie, I see you had similar issues, well resolved at Boch. Any thoughts?
    I have 8k miles on it, travel daily to Boston, on less than ideal (major understatement) roads, so I'm sensitive to the noises. Other than this, I love the car! Bought two, actually, one for Mom.
    She's thrilled.
    Also, anyone out there buy the color matched door edge guards? Can I easily put these on myself?
    Thanks!
    Apparently locating the source of rattles by ear is very tricky. Interior acoustics are designed to keep outside sounds out, stereo sounds in and to make conversation pleasant while moving. Rattles can be one place, transmit their sound energy through metal and plastic and sound like they are coming from somewhere else altogether.

We had one sound that we sure was coming from the moonroof. Before we ever took it to the dealer, I noticed that my wife didn't have the sunvisor on the driver's side seated correctly. Snapped it into place and the moonroof sound went away.

The Boch guys used the 'standard tricks' to make sounds go away, a little foam here, a little lube there.

There was a definite squeak in the right front as the car went in and out of our driveway. They replaced the struts and fixed it.

But the ones that persisted needed professional help from Toyota.

The folks at Toyota Zone in Mansfield have special electronic listening system that they can place in the car to help pinpoint the rattle sounds. They used it to locate a sound under the rear seat ( a clicking ) that would have sworn was above the right passenger side rear seat in the ceiling.

I would certainly have the dealership get them to come over before they ever touch the rear windshield. They are on Forbes Boulevard just of I-95 at Exit 7, probably 10 - 15 minutes from the Attleboro dealership.

If Toyota windshields are like others, the seat on rubber supports and lay on a bed of black gooey stuff. I have never heard of a rear windshield causing a rattle in a car, especially without leaking somewhere. It's probably $800 of warranty work the dealership is trying to do through Toyota. I just had one done on a Mercury Sable and spent the whole 90 minutes with the guy that did it and learned a lot about glass installations too!

Likely suspects for rear rattles are something under the seat (like ours), the fold down cupholder (try it up and down in the seat), the babyseat fastener plastic shrouds on the rear deck(they are a loose fit in our car). Also check the trunk. The wire spring assembly that holds the trunk lid up makes clicks when we lift it. Look under the car if you can, see if anything is hanging down.

Good luck
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    NOT lunar mist- i think everyone is getting tired of the silver cars craze, which will (hopefully) wear off soon.

Go Phantom Grey- it looks great on the Camry, and i'm sure it will look just as good on the Avalon.

~alpha
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    I'll be ordering an '03 Avalon in a few months ( replacing my Lincoln LS - Avalon quieter and more comfortable although much less sporty ).

Does anyone know if White is an extra cost option as it seems to have been in '02. I really like the white but don't feel like paying extra.
  • highlander7highlander7 Member Posts: 177
    gerry100,
    The Diamond Pearl is extra but worth it!! It has a metallic mica flake added and the color is a yellow shade white, very rich looking. This option is $220,00 retail / $187.00 cost, not much additional on an XLS listing for close to 35K.
    Before purchasing I preferred the Lunar mist but my wife choose the Diamond Pearl with Ivory interior.
    You have to decide what color you like and if this shade white is your choice, it is worth the extra.
    ===========================================
    hearthis,

Try this site for matching door edge guards. I have not ordered them yet, still deciding if we need them.
    http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/
  • hearthishearthis Member Posts: 6
    Thanks to you both for your sage advice!
    I will surely ask for the Mansfield specialist to "listen" before removal of my rear window.
    I drove to Maine, all highway, this weekend, and just as you said, the rattle appeared to move from rear seat area, to front pass. area, and back again. Made me nuts...thank goodness for the CD's.
    And thank you Highlander...I did check out the site you mentioned....just wanted to know if I should order or not. Guess I'm a bit nervous about creating yet another rattle with an "add-on"!!