Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    There are some options that you can have the dealer specify easily for you if you order a new vehicle. These are specified as PPO (post production options) options. These would include things like floor mats, the glass breakage sensor. As for the other packages, here is a breakdown of each.

GL - $1,530 - Leather power seat with driver memory, Outside mirrors with memory, P205/60R16 alloy wheels

GV - $895 - Leather power seats with driver memory, Outside mirrors with memory, P205/60R16 alloy wheels, JBL AM/FM Cass/6 disc in dash CD changer with 7 speakers( this stereo is an upgrade and includes the radio broadcast data system)

Overall, the GV package seems to be and is a MUCH better value at almost half the cost with more options included.

Hope this helps
  • darrowhomesdarrowhomes Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 03 Avalon XLS. So far, I love the car. It is a very smooth and quiet below 50 mph. However, as speed increases, there is a substantial amount of road or tire noise heard.

Took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal. So I went to another dealer and pretended to be in the market for new Avalon to test drive another vehicle and compare for myself. The car I tested was just about as noisy as my car on the same highways.

Has anyone tried having soundproofing added such as what Ziebart does????
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    darrowhomes, see posts #1758, 1760 and 1761.

If you have to change the tires may I suggest the Dunlop SP Sport A2. Road noise is usually not a problem in the Avalon except on unpaved roads (a nuisance for all cars). Because of the larger than normal size side mirrors wind noise seems louder.

To me one of the best features of the Avalon is the quietness of the cabin that many reviewers have referred to as an isolation chamber. Road noise is NOT a problem even when the windows are down. I am afraid you are expecting something more than the Avalon can provide.
  • tiredmom2tiredmom2 Member Posts: 3
    My Avalon has a lot of road noise too (on paved roads). Some noise when going over 35 mph but becomes most annoying when going over 50 mph. Makes highway driving unpleasant. I either have to turn up the radio to hide it or just tolerate it.
  • rattlecagerattlecage Member Posts: 32
    Well I used to own a 95 S-320 Mercedes, and if you go from that car to an Avalon, yes the Avalon is not as quiet. Toyota doesn't double-pane their windows and insulate every square inch of the cabin ... yet.
  • aglasseraglasser Member Posts: 4
    I agree. The road noise (not wind noise) is terrible with this car if you travel on anything but the best run.

I have a 2002 xls and will NOT buy this car again. My 1998 Buick had less road noise.
    I drove an Infiniti I30 and it to had less road noise but did have more wind noise.

I like the car but this noise is bad enough to make me call it quits. I will wait for the new model in '04 or '05 and see if they fix the problem. If not, I buy another Buick.
    I dont think its a showstopper, I still consider it a quiet car, its just not hushed like some gas hog V8s. And it does get great gas mileage, a wonderfully responsive motor, and lots of room, so considering everything, its still probably the best compromise for anyone who has an Accord budget, but wants something more deluxe.

I just installed SPR-176 alpine speakers in mine, noise is no longer an issue :)
  • deluxcardeluxcar Member Posts: 47
    This question was posed to J.D. Power in an AMI Autoworld magazine interview, and his answer?

"Yes. They are pickier. For instance, the quality improvements of engines and transmissions means vehicles are quieter than they used to be so we see customer complaints about wind and road noise, things never heard before."

He went on to say, "our surveys measure the difference between owner's expectation and their perception of what they are getting. As their expectations go up, it gets tougher to meet them".
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Before you invest in new tires, it would be a good idea to make sure your tire pressure is correct. The cars are shipped with 45 pounds of pressure in the tires. This is to prevent flat spots when they tie them down to the rail cars. The dealer is supposed to reduce this down to 32 (I think) but some don't. This will increase road noise and make for a harsh ride. Give it a look.
  • ke21ke21 Member Posts: 2
    01 Avalon, 22000 KM, Rattle noise come from front door area when on hush road. Gone on smooth freeway. Have sent back to dealer for five times without fixed.
    Anyone has any idea how to fix it.
  • mikem30mikem30 Member Posts: 20
    The posting recommending Dunlop tires is accurate. I have a set on my 99 XLS and they are very quiet. Concerning those postings complaining about road noise, it would be helpful for you to tell us what brand/model tires you have. Product ratings, i.e. Consumer Reports, rate road noise and there is much variation among brands.
  • gerry100gerry100 Member Posts: 100
    I drive about 40-50K a year on varying road surfaces and have been for the last 15yrs, in a varity of Motowns finest and have observed the following regartding road noise-

- road surface - some surfaces in combination with your tires will just whine,groan etc. Drive of onto a different surface and the noise disappears. Worn, gray surfaces are the worst.

- I agree on tire pressure as this affects the frequencies at the tire/road interface.

- tire wear - tires near the end of their life get noisy- especially it seems the low profile/soft compound perforamnce tires. I just put new Firehawks on my LIncolnLS and road noise nearly disappeared.(shouldn't be an issue with the Avalon).

- some cars do seem to have chassis that transmits road noise ( Chrysler "cab forward" was noted for this ) but if the Avalon is quiet some of the time its got to be tire/road surface issues. My Avalon test drive bears this out.

I don't know if it's practical to find a tire model that matches your typical road surfaces but it is proably possible.
    An Avalon XL will be replacing my LincolnLS(company car) in Feb/March, before I pull the trigger on the order I've got a few questions-

Any glitches with the 2003 redesigned models?

I'd like to go with white (easy to keep clean and keep cool) and a gray interior(easier to keep clean).

Which one of those code names for interior colors means gray?

Why is it that the one color I want is the only one that is extra? Is this still the case for MY03?

Inputs appreciated.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Diamond white paint is actually a thicker paint than the others. The application requires an extra coat.

The interior you are looking for is called "stone."
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    I now have two awful buzzing noises coming from the top left of my windshield, and the sunroof. The sunroof buzz starts at 35 mph, and the windshield buzz starts at 40 mph. Obviously the seals are out of whack (how I don't know). but would this be a cheap fix? My car is out of warranty. Thanks!
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Don't know if this will help but just had one of my cars back to dealer for buzz in sunroof area and it turned out to be an extra shim when they aligned the roof. Very easy fix. Also I've used silicon to deal with buzzing roof one time.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Before anyone blames the car, first check out the tires. My '99 XL was quiet on Dunlops but the traction was going away at 25k miles. The Toyo Proxes H4's fixed the traction...wow!...but the road noise was much greater. And air pressure has lot to do with noise, traction and gas mileage. Adjust it a little. Avalon is not the most quiet car on the road for the money, just one of the most dependable. The '03 XL in my garage is more quiet than the '99 was. It also rides better but will not (yet) hit 30 mpg like the '99. The Michelin tires are quiet enough. Enjoy....
    Yep I test drove a\ used 2000 Avalon with nice Michelins, but the road noise was pretty high. I ended up buying another used 2000 where the dealer put on cheap Korean tires, and the road noise is much less :P
    There doesnt appear to be an aftermarket plastic bezel, so the stock stereo can be replaced, on the new Avalon style. So it looks like we are kind of stuck with the stock head unit, until a bezel is made, or unless we want to have one made custom, which is expensive.

Also, the stock stereo ( non-JBL) does not have an amp, i had several stereo guys tell me it did. So you have to use something called a Hi-Lo converter to hook up an amp. I just thought this info may be of interest.

Also, the stock tweeters up front have their own builtin cheapo crossover, so if you want to replace the front speakers with seperates, to do it right, you have to get behind the stereo head unit in the dash, unless your crossovers can fit in that little area behind the tweeter grills.
  • sparky53sparky53 Member Posts: 13
    I am in the process of buying a 2003 avalon xls.I would like to know if a moon roof has any negative effect on the quietness of the interior thank you.
    It really depends on when you're talking about. With the moonroof open, yes, just like having a window open with a bit less turbulence. With it closed and with the sunshade open, maybe just a bit more outside sound can be heard. With the moonroof closed and the sunshade closed, I don't think that there is any more noise than one without a moonroof. The biggest difference I have found is the change in the headroom.
  • mikem30mikem30 Member Posts: 20
    I have an Avalon with moonroof and one without moonroof. Post 1829 is right on!
  • alan1111alan1111 Member Posts: 10
    I have a loud clicking noise coming from behind speedo to center of dash only during hard acceleration(3000rpm and up) and have read past posts with no luck. local dealer cant find it also. anyone with answer highly appreciated.
  • msheshadmsheshad Member Posts: 1
    My transmission promptly packedup at 40000 miles!
    They replaced it at no cost( after much denial),
    I guess they did not put a brand new transmission.
    Also, the lights in the glove compartment and the visors never worked. Even the button on the seatbelt( that stops the buckle from sliding off)
    fell off. The door lock on one of the doors is also broken. All these happened within two years of buying a new car!
  • reddog13reddog13 Member Posts: 5
    After reading this message board for the last year, I finally picked up my 2003 Avalon XLS yesterday. My wife and I fell in love with the Cassis Pearl color, so it took 5 weeks to find one that had all the goodies with our color. I bought it thru my credit unions' buying service and think I got a good deal. It has the Vehicle Skid Control, moonroof, GV luxury package and the carpet/cargo mat set for $30,293. My brother and many of my friends drive Toyota products and are very satisfied with them, so I hope this will be a good experience for me.
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    Has anyone installed a remote starter on their Avalon? Any problems mucking up the remote door locks or trunk release or factory alarm system? Any grief from a Toyota dealer about voiding the warranty?

I'm thinking about getting one for my wife for Christmas. Her's is a 2002 XLS. Thanks.
    I've narrowed down the choices for my next company car to an Avalon XL or a Bonneville SE.

I'll drive about 30K/yr for about three years before I turn it in. I'm mainly looking for comfort on long trips, and dependability because I have little time to spend hanging around delerships.

Anybody on this board make a similiar choice? If so why?

Inputs appreciated.
  • aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    While I don't have an Avalon or Bonnie, I do have a Lexus and my folks have an Avalon. Go with Avalon if reliability & quality are important to you without question! Dad's got about 30k on his and I've got 75k on my GS. Only maintenance either of us have done, besides the routine, is my two battery replacement because of using Auto headlight function all the time. His Avalon has had absolutely no problems.

Brother-in-law has had Bonnie & Grand Prix, plus was a salesman for them, and was always commenting about this or that problem with them.

Really its a personal decision on what you like best. Bonnie has lots of tricks and treats but Avalon just keeps on running all day long and is wonderful on the long trips per Dad.
  • aglasseraglasser Member Posts: 4
    Buy the Bonneville. My son bought a Bonnie sse at the same time I bought an Avalon XLS. Both are 2002's.
    Mine has has troubles with the alignment, dashboard rattles,and the road noise is terrible except on the very best of roads.

He has about 8k and I have 6K miles. His car is quieter, no troubles, and I would trade him cars but he wouldn't have mine he said.
    Something else to consider if you're looking at buying either vehicle. Look up the resale value of both for 2 or 3 yrs and 30,000 miles. Factor that into the total costs of ownership when you're making your decision.
  • twobrownstwobrowns Member Posts: 52
    I agree withpost 1837. See my post on the bonneville board. In my opion the avalon is over rated and if you are leasing I would not think depreciation is a factor.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Many people comment about my Bonneville is great or my Chevy is great or my Cadillac is great, no problems, never.

That's fine for them.

However the JDPower surveys and Consumer Reports long term tracking are much more indicative of your likely "likely" experience.

Toyota's Avalon, like the Lexus, line is consistently ranked in the top three Initial Quality levels at JDP and in long term dependability.

You bet's your money and you take's your chances. I don't like ot bet against the odds.

Good luck.
  • figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    I just bought a used 98 Avalon XLS. 39K miles from the original owner for 15K. It is a creampuff. The only options it has is leather buckets, the gold kit and some very nice looking chrome alloy six spoke wheels made by Toyota. they have Michelin XGT 4 P215/55 R 16 tires with lots of tread left. My concern is the ride is much harsher than an Avalon i test drove with the stock rims and tires. Is this normal for this particular tire or is it because of the lower profile or both? When these Michelins are worn out, is there a recomandation for another brand or type that wont transmit so much road noise and vibration. I really want that smooth quiet ride that i know these cars are capable of. Thanks, Mike
    This is a continuation of post 1841 above. The car has the standard stereo that comes in the XLS. Is it possible to change it out with the top of the line optional JBL unit. The standard unit does not do justice to this car. If so, are the speakers also different? Once pulled out, is this a plug and play thing or is the wiring harness different? Are these JBL head units available used? Can i just go to "You Pull It" and snag what i need from a totaled car? Got those questions dont i. Any help is appreciated. Mike
  • kicker9kicker9 Member Posts: 57
    Just ordered a new '03 XLS white diamond with the GV pkg. and the carpeted floor mats for 29,200. How's that compared to the average price anyone else has paid or did I get hosed? I'm turning in a leased 2001 Lincoln LS(POS), probably will turn it in early just to get rid of it. Glad to be back in the Toyota family, previously owned a Camry.
  • rusty_98070rusty_98070 Member Posts: 7
    Have a bit of research, I've found no solution to
    the poor sound of the JBL system in the XLS.
    This is biggest weakness in the XLS. The sound
    system is very poor.
    I'm absolutely amazed at the lack of audio quality.
    FM antenna is weak;
    sound is thin, very undetailed;
    balance and fade shift;
    Frankly, one gets ten times the audio quality wearing a walkman instead of listening to the XLS
    JBL system.
    Toyota should be ashamed of themselves for putting this crap in their flagship car.
    Rusty
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    After the work I put into mine, I had to answer. ...YES! You can swap out the JBL. Most JBL's are NON amplified. If the system in the car you are looking at (a '98) is externally amplified, it should be "Plug and Play." ...right into the existing amp. Make sure you get one with the same harness on the back. *** THREE (3) *** things can happen with the plugs. 1) It is a match. Plug-and-Play. 2) It is an "amplified" head unit(NO external amp)-If this is the case, get a JBL from a Solara WITH the amp. This will plug into the Toyota Line Level jack in almost any Toyota. Of course you will have to Install the amp(Not that hard since it should have the bracket affixed to it.) 3) You have an EXTERNAL amp but, the plugs DON'T match-(Toyota has two distinct interfaces for their external amps) This is what I had! I tapped a NEWER style plug onto my existing amp wire harness. More complex but, definitely works. Finally, YES-The JBL systems have different AMPS and SPEAKERS. They are fully compatible with one another. Despite another posting, it is a very good sound system. Especially if you want to keep an OEM look to the car.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    My father is thinking about purchasing a 03 XLS. I have a few concerns about this car maybe someone here can help with. Is the engine sludge problem with this V-6 corrected for 03? If so, how did they fix it? My father does minimal maintenance on his current car, a 97 Cadillac Deville. The Cadillac has 100k miles and has never been back to the Cadillac dealer and never had any maintenance except oil changes. He only changes the oil when the car tells him too, which is about every 7k. Does the XLS tell you when to change the oil?

I have read many reports that this car has lots of road noise. This car will be driven mostly on dirt roads and paved roads that have been sealed with gravel and tar. Will the Avalon be noisy under these conditions?

What changes are in store for 04? Will they upgrade the engine? The horsepower seems low by today's standards and I am not a fan of engines with timing belts.
    The 3.0L engine has been around for quite a while. They had issues with sludging (some would argue but we'll not get into that discussion here) in the late 90's. From what I have heard from Toyota, the problem stemmed from revised emmisions standards. The early models of this engine didn't have this problem, so I would tend to agree with that statement. They have revised the emmisions control devices to rectify that problem a couple of years ago and certainly an '03 would not have any concerns.

No Toyota "tells" you to change the oil, the intervals are pretty easy though. 5,000 miles for the shorter interval and 7,500 miles for the longer.

The road noise "issue" I tend to think may be partly due to the tires they choose to put on the vehicle. I have heard from many who have had problems with this that changing the tires makes a huge difference. I don't think that it is a problem compared to other vehicles I have driven, but like most things, this is a personal issue and you would need to drive one to decide.

As far as I know, there are not any plans to change the engine for '04, but that's not set in stone. Drive one, I think that the HP figure is misleading and it is much more usable than it may seem.

Lastly, as for the timing belt, there are two answers for you. Timing belts are TYPICALLY more quiet than chains, so that is why Toyota went with it. Secondly, Toyota only uses non-interference style engines with timing belts, so worse case scenerio if the belt breaks after 90K miles is that you tow it to the dealer, they replace it and you go on your way. The engine won't blow up when it breaks.

Hope this helps.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    We shopped both but were unimpressed with Bonneville reliabilty and felt that Avalon styling was too staid and car was overpriced. Impala LS great family car value IMO.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Thanks for your input. I was familiar with Toyotas timing belt design. I had a Toyota Supra that had one and changed it my self (what a job). However, I am not sure the reason you state (quietness) is the reason Toyota chose a belt. In one word – CHEAP! Belts engines are cheaper to design and build. Many very good cars are both quite and have a timing chain. Does anyone know the change interval for the Avalon timing belt?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is 90K as stated previously. You can figure on letting it go a little longer that that without much trouble, and then you will need to change it maybe once in the whole life of the car.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• roy407roy407 Member Posts: 1
    Last month I purchased a 2000 XL, Diamond White
    Pearl, with 65,000 miles. Most of the miles were
    accumulated on regular trips from Denver to Vegas
    and back. Just a few small chips on the front.
    Runs like a top, and the JBL system is great.

I started reading these postings a few months prior to my purchase and I really appreciate all
    the tips, tricks, and evaluations I picked up.
    They all helped in my decision to purchase the
    Avalon. I got a dash kit from Joshua, paint from
    Romania, a Lanka kit, and will order mudguards
    soon.

I do have one condition I would like to post for
    comment. The clear coat on the plastic outside
    mirror housings is peeling off. They both look
    like 2 week-old sunburn. It would take many
    hours to peel off the little pieces by hand.
    Then what ??? Got one bid from a body shop of
    $130.00 each.

Any suggestions...
    Nomad, Im a little confused and would like to clarify your answer. I just purchased a 98 XLS. It has the standard single CD stereo that has the little storage compartment below it. I find the sound rather lousy. Considering that there is a single uninclosed subwoofer if thats whats you want to call it in the back window, the bass is not deep or tight and very muddy sounding. There is very little treble from the radio. I have not tried a CD yet. There also is very little presence in the sound. The stations i listen to in other cars fade out of range much sooner in this car. This tells me that this unit is junk for a car as nice as this. Most other reports are good on the JBL system. Are you saying that there more than one version of the JBL? You speak of an externally amplified one that must have more power. Where can i find a used JBL or a "take out" for a reasonable price? Do i need to pull out my existing unit to see how many pins are on the plug? Any help is appreaciated. I realize that these factory speakers are likely different than the ones that come with the JBL. Im not looking for a killer system but something that sounds better than this stock one. Thanks, Mike
  • zmonyzmony Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

I just bought my first Avalon - a black '03 XL w/stone leather interior and the luxury pkg. So far I really like it. I would like to upgrade the interior to wood (and possibly buy the wood-trimmed XLS steering wheel) and get a CD changer (came with a single CD player). Can anyone recommend an aftermarket, high-quality wood trim kit and a CD changer compatible with the JBL deck?

Many Thanks,
    Z
    Figmoman-
    That head unit(or your external amp) may just be BAD! Even the internally amplified units were decent. I recommend pulling it out, then: Let me know what the "harness" looks like in the car...has it been spliced or modified in any way??? What is the pin configuration??? ...with this, I can probably determine what you have/need.

There are several JBL configurations. I am running the 6 CD IN-dash unit to my NON JBL amp and speakers..sounds great..more than adequate for almost anyone.

Once we determine what you need, eBay is a good source, or a local junkyard, etc. NOTE: If you look on eBay, you may see a PICTURE of your wire harness-refer me to the auction #-then I will be sure which harness you have..
    -nomad-
    Zmony-
    If that head unit has CD changer controls (NOT all do) ALPINE, and a few others, have direct plug and play units. Otherwise, there are adapters for several other brands. The Alpines play MP3 CD's!!! Kinda' nice! The interior wood trim kits(aftermarket!) are readily available...check eBay, where you may also see that steering wheel show up...they usually fetch bid $$$
    -nomad-
    Nomad, thanks for yur help. When i get a chance, i will pull my unit and let you know my harness configuration. Im makeing the assumption that my wiring is unmolested as i bought the car from a retired origional owner that appears to have only kept real good care of it. Mike
  • zmonyzmony Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information Nomad. The head unit is a single CD player so I assume it does have CD changer abilities. On your advice, I browsed EBAY for wood trim kits and found quite an array. After reading some prior posts on this board, I'm going to try to get a sample from Joshua Tree. Regarding the XLS wood-trimmed steering wheel, I couldn't find one on EBAY (active of completed auctions) so I called my local dealer and they are asking $1,000 (ouch!).
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    zmony: I have an '02 XL with the an OEM Wood Dash kit (real wood) and IMO it looks better than what comes standard on the XLS (plood). My only gripe is that the kit is $300+ and does not have a plate to cover the stereo (piece), the rest of the center console is covered.

I also recommend the Auto-Dimming mirror and the mud flaps.