Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• buckeyedonbuckeyedon Member Posts: 46
    Recently Toyota USA sent letter for certain Toyota vehicles sold and registered in California and vehicles sold and registered in Massachusetts since 1998...extending certain Evapoative Control System components for a period of 14 years or 150K miles from vehicle's in service date.

For questions, call Toyota USA (800)331-4331
  • mikem30mikem30 Member Posts: 20
    I have a 2003 XL with 8000 miles on it. I have noticed recent posts about using regular fuel(2045 & 2046). I have been using regular and agree that the car runs fine. However, my car is used 90% on the interstate and the m.p.g. seemed low. I started using mid-grade and the m.p.g. improved. At that point I read posts 2052 & 2053 about the odometer. I checked mine by interstate mileposts this past weekend and find mine is running slow by over 4%. This error brings the m.p.g. to an acceptable range. My questions are -I have the luxury package with 16" wheels. As the tires wear, should I expect the speedometer error to lessen? Has anyone compared m.p.g. using premium vs. regular fuel? Thanks!
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    I use 93 octane fuel in my '02 XL and get 29-30 mpg on road trips with the car fully loaded with cargo and kids. I have never used 87 octane fuel in the Avalon, but have done comparisons in previous vehicles and have noticed an improvement in both performance and fuel efficiency. Note: these comparisons were done with less sophisticated vehicles without knock sensors and high compression ratios of todays engines.

Even with todays high prices at the pump, I feel premium fuel is the way to go... but I also use synthetic oil too... (some consider both practices to be excessive).
  • luffnuttluffnutt Member Posts: 13
    Checked my 2003 Avalon XLS speedometer against a handheld GPS, a Garmin eTrex Vista, and a 60 miles per hour set on the cruise control on an Interstate the GPS read 60.6 miles per hour. That's less than 1% difference. Gas milage came in at 21.1 miles per gallon, 80% or more city driving. Miles on odometer is only 1250 miles, and on tank fill today put in 92 octane, ($1.75 a gallon) so between the gas and the 1000 mile oil change the engine seemed pertty happy, and I had an ear to ear smile. This was my first visit to the Service Department at Bobby Rahal Toyota Dealership. The Service Person was a young lady who was anxious to please, but I found you must be very specific on what you want. She is not a "gearhead" like me. Found some extremely useful information on tires at the "Tire Rack" site. They had more answers than I had questions.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Our 00 Avalon XLS gets mileage in the 29 range on the interstate at 65 mph on 87 regular gas. It's performance is terrific.

To me, if Toyota say 87 octane is fine, they make a huge bet. What if they were wrong? This car was designed to run on 87.

Maybe the engine computer can figure out that the mixture performance is better when it has premium - maybe it's perception.

It would seem to me that the car mags and consumer reporting groups would be having a field day reporting on gasoline octanes and mixtures if there was any real difference.

Buying premium fuel is almost as bad as buying a Mercedes and thinking you are getting a 'quality' car. A little fluff goes a very long way. So do engine additives.
  • jbergjberg Member Posts: 2
    Bought a used 01 XLS with power buckets. The front of the seat in the passenger power seat does not raise.(The entire seat elevates but the front portion does not) The drivers seat does raise. Is this normal or is it something that needs repair? Also, the car has wheel locks. How do I unlock the wheels? The car manual is silent on these two topics. Otherwise happy with the Avalon after one week.
  • lorainemax2lorainemax2 Member Posts: 35
    I will check my seat in mine when I go home tonight and see if it is as your is....but I think it is.

The wheel nut locks are opened using a "key" that is found in your tire tool kit in the trunk. I believe mine was actually already in the end of the lug wrench. These are "Port" installed options so most likely they would never be mentioned in your manual.

If your lock key is missing...the dealer has them. I actually have an extra one now because the dealer left one on the trunk of my car after a tire rotation.
  • dyladyla Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2003 Avalon XLS w/factory nav system. This nav system appears to be outdated and when we ask dealers about getting an upgrade, we are told to talk to salesmen. No one seems to know anything about these nav systems. Our nav system in the car is DVD Ver. 02.1. Anyone know how we can find out what the latest version is and/or where we can get one? It is the only thing about the car that has disappointed us.
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    DYLA-See my post, #3, in your original post to "Where do I get Nav System Upgrade for 2003 Avalon". If the dealer doesn't know, go to another dealer! -nomad-
  • jbergjberg Member Posts: 2
    Re key for wheel locks...found it where you suggested. Any findings on the power passenger seat?
  • minuteman26minuteman26 Member Posts: 70
    What is it that seems to be out of date?

One thing I have noticed from using Garmin portable gps databases [three different kinds]is that none of them are perfect. In fact, a brand new database can contain obvious and perplexing errors in both metropolitan or rural locations.
  • dylan383dylan383 Member Posts: 20
    I just bought an AvalonXLS '03 and love it. It has black exterior and taupe interior leather. Any advice on the first 5,000 miles, anything to watch out for? Also, I've been using premium gas but I've seen others have had success with 87 gas. I traded in my 93 4Runner with 216,000 miles; I love toyota and hope the avalon works out great. It has great rear seat room and rides like a magic carpet.
    So what did you get for the trade-in; that's the best price I've seen so far. Did you get under invoice (forgetting about the trade-in)?
    I'm surprised to read about the sales dive of Avalons. It's size I think was the key selling point for me vs. the Camry and price vs. the Lexus. I can't believe the top of the line Camry compares but I guess that has been happening and now they think if they raise the price and quality it will hurt Lexus. Too bad!
  • thepope1thepope1 Member Posts: 23
    My 2000 Avalon XLS is fast approaching 60,000 miles. Anybody out there that has purchased an extended warranty from other than dealer? Which do you feel is best? Any claims - results? Sure would appeciate any feedback. Thanks...The Pope".
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    At 60K, you can't get a Toyota warranty so you're going aftermarket no matter what. To get the genuine Toyota warranty, you would have had to do it before the 3/36K expired.
  • matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    Many thanks to everyone who has listed their purchase price. Just bought the wife her 03 XLS this past Saturday. It came with a sunroof, sunroof deflector, white pearl paint, floor mats, cargo mats, first aid kit, glass breakage sensors, cargo net, wheel locks, and GV premium interior package. We paid $29,076 before TTL. Estimated that this price is ~$215 below invoice. Can anyone confirm my estimates? Thanks.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    The final price you pay depends on where you live, but $29K seems like a reasonable price although Toyota is offering $1,000 cash back in the Boston area.

For a good price estimate try http://carsdirect.com
  • pwarthpwarth Member Posts: 3
    I'm in need of pages BO-25 through BO-28 from the factory repair manual. Can someone email or fax them to me? If so I'll give you my contact info. This is the procedure to repair the drivers side mirror by replacing only the glass of the mirror. Thanks. Pete
  • kandorkandor Member Posts: 25
    I have a 2001 XLS that has always had a problem with bottoming out on small dips in streets and driveways. I always thought this was just part of the Avalon until I had a chance to ride in a 2002 XL recently, and this model didn't do it at all.

I've been reading old posts where at least one person tried fixing his suspension with new shocks/struts. Is this a fix, or do I need to have something else done? (I'm not a DIYer, and the local Toyota service dept doesn't see anything wrong with the suspension.)
    Kandor-Is the noise(I am assuming a "knock") coming from the front or rear???

If FRONT, then it is most likly the top strut/shock mount. This is a known problem.

If REAR, then it may be the same, but is more likely-the sway bar bushings. Start with these, since it is easier, and more likely the solution, to the problem at the rear. FYI-there has been at least one service bulletin on this same rear sway bar/bushing combo (ES300). -nomad-
    nomad56: There's no noise in general while driving. But the Avalon tends to bottom out easily -- low ground clearance? -- in both front and rear.
    Kandor-Is the noise the bottom of the car hitting pavement, or is it coming from suspension components???

Bottoming out implies full take-up of the shock or strut(No more travel left in it). This usually generates a knock or bang in the strut. May sound like someone kicking inside your engine bay or trunk!

If it is a ground clearance problem then you have to look at: Struts...I can't believe they would be THAT soft???? Springs...Are they OEM????....or, Aftermarket lowering springs???? ...which may also be for a different and LIGHTER car... NOTE: A ground clearence problem is usually a bang/scraping sound.

Is the car "mushy" over uneven roads??? ie) Does it "bounce" in the Front/Rear after a bump????

Anyway, that's a lot of "guesswork" until we have more info...let me know. -nomad-
    Nomad56:

The noise is definitely from hitting the ground, not from the components. I'm sure it's a ground clearance problem. The car has all original equipment and I bought it 23 months ago. The ride sometimes feels mushy, but not always. And I don't get the "bounce" over bumps.

And the scrape isn't always there, but there are certain potholes or speedbumps that I know will cause the bottom to hit the pavement if I don't slow down to less than 5 miles per hr.

I really didn't think much of this problem until this week, when I had to leave the Avalon in the shop to get the throttle fixed and I noticed the loaner Avalon (03) didn't do it.
    kandor-You should take it to a dealer and make sure everything is OK, including ride height. The Avy is not a car of great ground clearence but, potholes shouldn't give you this kind of problem. They would have to be pretty deep.

Speedbumps used to scrape my Avy, so I would approach them at an angle... The car sits slightly higher with new struts and has not been a problem since. Larger (meaning height) speedbumps can give you this kind of problem...IE)Any speedbump with a peak that is greater than the ride height of your Avy. ...which is about 5 inches. -nomad-
    Thanks!
  • travelerjbtravelerjb Member Posts: 46
    I was curious if Toyota is employing the "drive by wire" technology with the new Avalon as they are in several of their other vehicles at this time. I had this on my previous Saturn and liked it a lot as some of the cars I've driven with the typical accelerator hooked up to a linkage system are crude in their feel and don't deliver the gas in such a smooth fashion. I appreciate any accurate answers on this subject......
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I don't think so, but it is very smooth and the throttle is easy to modulate. I don't think it matters how this is done.

By the way, I drove my Dads 03 XLS again for many miles and I don't get why people are complaining about the suspension. I drove on very poor roads and thought the car did well.

Did some comparing to back to back with our 97 DeVille with 100k. The Avalon is more quite. The Caddy is MUCH faster. They both get similar gas mileage on the highway (around 25 mpg). The Caddy can take an off ramp at higher speed. As far as ride, both are very good. Have not tested top speed on the Toyota yet, but the computer on the Caddy halts the action at 112 mph and the car posts you have reached the fuel cut off!
    This is my first black car. I've already noticed that it really does pick up the dirt. Looks great though when cleaned. Any advice on cleaning a new car, keeping the paint tip top shape?
    dylan383-I cannot say enough about Zaino products(zainobros.com)! You should see my cars. This is an excellent product with absolutely amazing support. Mr Zaino, himself, answers the phone and provides support, where needed. I have found this to be the ultimate finishing product. Awesome durable shine(It really does last) and regular cleaning is easier on the slick surface. My only advice is- Make sure the paint is ready to be "finished" before you start. If it is a new car, then the clay bar is all you'll need...then wash the car thoroughly. I cleaned my paint before starting, then worked out any swirls and fine scratches before I protected the paint with Zaino...this has been all I needed ever since. I have used a lot of products on a lot of vehicles, including blacks, reds, dark greens...this is an excellent finish! -nomad-
    Thanks for the advice; I'll check it out. It is a new car so right now a wash and wax is probably fine..the clay bar. Does the Zaino protect against oxidation?
    I checked the website and it looks like a great product. I guess for now I need to stick to hand car washes. What do people use to dust the car? Do people use cotton t-shirts to wipe/polish the car?
    Clay???? Test a small section of your car with the clay bar cleaner. I think you will be amazed at how much better the paint feels. You can't see most oxidation causing contaminants.

Oxidation???? Absolutely protects-My cars can go much longer without the need to polish it. The slick surface attracts far less dirt and contaminants. The first wash after applying it, you will be surprised-the water will roll right off your car! ..and, it will do this for months!

Dusting??? I will remove light surface dust with a dry to slightly damp ALL cotton towel. You will notice dirt, including bird "dirt" does not bond to the paint. It cleans very easily. If there is too much dirt, WASH it, you risk "swirls/scratches". FYI:Zaino is good with very light to fine swirls. These will disappear after a few applications.

Towels??? SPEND the money!!! Go get some good ol' made-in-the-USA "ALL" "100%" "Totally" cotton towels..in WHITE!!! Seriously! Buy 5 or 6 just for your Avy!!

Any Q's let me know -nomad-
  • founda98founda98 Member Posts: 11
    I ended up buying the instructions for programming the 98 key fobs. Here they are (and they work):
    Programming instructions for Toyota Avalon Remote with the following ID.

FCC ID: HYQ 1512 Y
    CAN: 1551 102 578
    RSS - 210
    DENSO

1. Open driver's door.

2. Insert and remove key from ignition.

3. Cycle power door locks on-off 5 times.

4. Close the door and open it again.

5. Cycle door locks 5 times again.

6. Insert the key and turn it to ON - OFF - ON - OFF and remove.

You will hear the locks cycle.

7. After that, press BOTH Lock and Unlock buttons of the remote together
    at the same time, then push the one button with the bump on it. (Lock)

If the door locks cycle ONCE, you're done.

If they cycle twice, it didn't take..... Just push the buttons (Step 7) again.

If you wait too long between steps you'll have to start over again.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

If you are ADDING a second remote you must repeat Step 7 on the other remote
    right after the first remote is done so they both obtain the same code.
  • founda98founda98 Member Posts: 11
    After programming the remotes, I noticed that the front passenger door lock no longer works with either the remote nor the door lock/unlock button on the armrest. Any opinion on if its a coincidence or a weak solenoid or bad connection, and how to diagnose?
  • thepope1thepope1 Member Posts: 23
    Hey Cliffy (Msg 2091), thanks for the return and how are things in Springfield - my old tromping grounds? I'm APPROACHING 60K - What I'm looking for is anyone that has had experience with non-dealer warranties. Any quick help would be much appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Springfield is just peachy! I think there are some topics in the "Finance and Insurance" conference on various aftermarket extended warranties.
  • speedway86speedway86 Member Posts: 7
    Hey Everyone!

I have a 2002 Avalon XLS with 205/60/16's. I would like to change to 225/50/16's.

Is it possible? I don't know why such an awesome car comes with such tiny tires. I think they're too narrow for the size of the car.

Please help with this. Thank you.
  • travelerjbtravelerjb Member Posts: 46
    You are basically desiring to put a tire on that is both "wider" (the 225 vs a 205 stock size) and will be going with a shorter sidewall tire as well (50 vs. 60 series) You will GAIN in steering response with the lowered profile tire but will also get a "firmer" ride as the sidewall is going ot b shorter/stiffer and you might just not like it. It's all personal taste. I think when I go to change my first set of tires on my new 2003 I'll likely go for a 215-60-16 size so as not to compromise the wonderful ride characteristics but get just a tad better steering control from the slightly added width of the 215 vs. the stock 205 size. Also the 215 and 225 widths are MUCH more common in stock sizes at most distributors and stores, as well as ease of finding manufacturers that make and carry them. I'm just not sure I'd want to go with a 50 series tire as it might be just too stiff and mess with that dreamy ride that the Avalon is famous for.............
    Speedway-the above is incorrect. You MUST reduce the aspect ratio, as you INCREASE the tread width, to preserve ride characteristics and speedometer calibration. If you go to a 215 width (that's millimeters!) you want a 55 series "profile", the "profile" is a percentage of tread width, 55% of 215mm is 118.25mm from rim to tread surface. 55 not 50 is a closer match to original tire size of 205-60/16, which yields 123mm from rim to tread, or a 25.7 inch tire diameter. Going to 225-55 series yields even better results. 55% of 225mm is 123.75 mm from rim to tread surface-a perfect match with a 25.7 inch tire diameter. FYI: 225 tires are acceptable on 6 to 8 inch rim WIDTHS! Check what you have.

The most noticeable trade-offs in a wider tire are some ride comfort (maybe????), as well as wet and snow traction. Handling and steering response should be better and DRY pavement traction should be better.
  • matthew525matthew525 Member Posts: 52
    Several informative web sites about detailing your car (new or old). One of my favorites is http://www.properautocare.com/ Never knew there was so much info about cleaning, polishing, and waxing.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Tires are certainly a matter of personal preference and driving conditions but you might want to try a different BRAND before you tinker with the size. My '99 XL was fair/ok on Dunlops but when the same size Toyo Proxes H4's were installed - WOW! The car drove as if it were on rails. The ride was a little stiffer but still very comfortable. As posted above, many things happen when you change tire sizes and not all of them are necessarily good. Enjoy..
  • speedway86speedway86 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks to all of the info for replacement tires.

Nomad56, You mentioned higher struts for your Avalon. Does this alter the handling?
    Speedway...The higher ride height is a result of NEW and slightly stiffer struts supporting the weight. This was a huge handling improvement. The car is NOT significantly heigher but, just enough to "clear" some high points that used to touch the belly of my Avy. ie)the huge decline where my driveway meets the street. NOTE: The current ride height is also compared to old, somewhat worn struts. Your car is not very old and the struts are probably not "sagging" much.
  • lorainemax2lorainemax2 Member Posts: 35
    Call me nuts but I switched from an "H" rated tire to a "V" rated tire on my 2000 XLS. Same Michelin but different speed rating. All the difference in the world.

I know there really shouldn't be but this tire seems softer and better handling.

Maybe I just let the originals get so worn and hard that anything would have seemed better???
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    My brother-in-law, aka sasquatch, is about 6'4" and 230 lbs. The dude is from the gold-chain crowd that thinks Cadillac defines America. Anyways, would this guy be comfy in the back of an Avalon.
  • figmomanfigmoman Member Posts: 55
    Nomad56, i just wanted to put my 2 cents in on Zaino. I agree with you. It is the finest paint care product ive used. I have a 2000 Suburban (big) that i started out on Zaino when new. i clay bared to remove rail dust before first application. It really is amazing how long it lasts. I have not done the Avalon yet as it is my sons car and it hard enough just to get him to wash it. BTW, im the guy with the knocking suspension. I seldom drive the car but cringe when i do. I still have not had a chance to get it up on the neighbors lift yet. It does not appear to be the rear swaybar bushings. Oh well one of these days. Mike
    figmoman-if you get an hour, or so with the lift, REMOVE the rear sway bar. Then drive the car around, to see if the knock is gone. This is how I tested a friends. Sure enough, it was GONE! We put in NEW bushings and tadaa!!! I can't remember if your Avy was higher mileage but...while you do this, you SHOULD replace the swaybar links at the same time. This is another area of wear and tear. They connect the swaybar to the strut...very easy and inexpensive-nomad-

FYI-YES, it's safe to drive without the swaybar. There will be more body roll when turning/cornering.
  • goldkeygoldkey Member Posts: 36
    How bout you take your bro-in-law for a joy ride in the backseat of the ultimate driving machine?
    I can't contain my chuckles. As far as imports go, you can not find a better sedan in a reasonable price range for a backseat room and comfort. I consider Avalon a true Passenger car. Avalon backseat is even better then Ford's Crown Victoria, which has suprisingly limited knee room because of the bulky front-seats. But you must be a very devoted to your brother-in-law to be concerned with his comfort. Is he paying for your kids college tuition?
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Kandor,others:

You complaint with the New Avalons is well documented. I did some research and this is what I found.

1. Same part number as Camry and Lexus 300. They all use the same struts, manufactured by a company here in the USA.
    2. The difference in the XLS and XL may be a little difference in the tires that come with the vehicle, as the side wall ratios are a little different. Both tires are too small for the car.
    3. If you would like the car to handle markedly better, without being too harsh, then get a set of four TOKICO STRUTS, bring them to a shock and alignment place, and have them put them on. You will notice a remarkable difference in handling wihtout having to can any tires or wheels. You will have to get the car aligned. I believe a couple of other people have had similar experiences with Tokico struts.