Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    Rodut: A fascinating analysis of these systems and food for thought. I currently have traction control in my car which when engaged I feel it does the job it was designed to do. But now that you mention the hidden dangers and expense of repairing I doubt I want them, especially VSC.

What are your thoughts on AWD? I personally driving city and highway don't believe I need it.
    FWD does nicely.
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Where on earth did you come up with that? VSC and Traction control are nothing new. They been around for years on Mercedes and Bimmers. Come on, let's stop these scare tactics that accomplish nothing.
                      Mackabee
  • mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Will be based on the Japanese Toyota CROWN. Pictures are up on toyota.com future vehicles.
                      : )
                     Mackabee
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...a rear wheel drive vehicle?
  • dmartendmarten Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 XLS Avalon with the RDS radio. The RDS feature had been working fine on the 3 RDS enabled stations in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth, TX) up to about 2 months ago. At that time I had noticed that about 3 other stations started transmitting the RDS signal as well, and that is when the problems started.
    What is happening is that when I select a preset that has a station which is RDS enabled, the radio will start to 'skip' to other stations in the preset list, usually quickly cycling through about 4 presets before it settles on *A different station* than what the preset was for!!!
    I have reprogrammed the stations presets, but nothing seems to prevent the stations from 'skipping', other than turning the RDS feature off.

Has anybody else had problems with the RDS feature on the radio? And more importantly, is there a known solution to the issue?

Thanks,
    David
  • obafunqueobafunque Member Posts: 9
    I just recently purchased a 2000 XLS Avalon with 71K and the CD is not working. Try several repair center but they said it has been problems with that type of CD backed by JSL.........what is the cheapest way to fix this? Price for a brand new at dealer is more than $1000.........any advice from the expert? How to get the maintenance record of the car? By the VIN number? Please advise. I am new with Avalon and any suggestion will be really well appreciated.
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    obafunque-Look on ebay for your unit. It WILL show up.

OPTIONS: You can use the single or six disc JBL unit. There are also other models that will work. If yours is a JBL, it has an EXTERNAL amplifier. ANY externally amplified unit, with the same (newer) harness plug will work. Simply remove your radio and look at the plug and match this up to pictures on ebay. I spent $230 for a six disc JBL. NOTE: There are TWO plug interfaces on the back of the radio. ONE should be empty(JBL's are usually not connected to trunk changers). If there are two plugs in the back of the unit, the smaller boxier interface is for the changer. Let me know if any Q's...I've done a lot of audio work on the Avy. -nomad-
  • chilin12chilin12 Member Posts: 9
    Thanks nomad56. I will keep you posted on my progress.-obafunque-
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    After two years and 26K miles, my wife decided she needed more room and we are trading in the Avy for a new '04 Honda Odyssey. For the record, our Avalon has been flawless, only trips to the dealer were for oil changes. The Odyssey is a major step down as far as creator comforts go, but it comes out ahead in practicality, considering we have a 3.5 and 1 year old. (I think my wife was one of the youngest Avalon owners in Toyota history, she was 29 when she first got the Avy). I can't say enough about the Avy, it will truly be missed. Maybe when the kids are grow and gone, we can get another Avalon or perhaps an LS430 (the ultimate sedan IMHO). Wanted to get the new Sienna XLE, but could justify the cost and 3 month wait, besides that would violate rule #1, never, EVER buy the first year of ANY new vehicle!!
    My long term mechanic surprised me the other day. After diagnosing my car with power steering failure and that I should replace it soon, he said: "Trade or sell this POS and get an Avalon, a cheaper Lexus,you'll be very happy.".

I have a 2000 Mercury Sable.
  • dodgeman4dodgeman4 Member Posts: 3
    I resently purchased an 03 Avalon. The only problem I am having is with the six disc JBL changer. When the disc gets to the last song, instead of moving to the next disc, it starts playing the same disc over, then of course I have to push a button to play another disc. Did I miss something in the owners manual? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • nomad56nomad56 Member Posts: 134
    dodgeman-the JBL 6-disc changer has single track, as well as, single CD REPEAT. It is radio preset button "3" that activates/deactivates them. Press and release for "TRACK" repeat. Press and "hold" (the unit will beep) for whole CD repeat. You will learn the different indicator icons, which appear above the "3" -make sure repeat is OFF, as your CD nears its end, and it should skip to the next available CD, upon completion.
  • jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    What do you think? Crestmont Toyota (northern NJ) has an ad in today's paper for a leftover '03 Av, MSRP $28.7, asking $22.3. No miles on it. Opinions? Anyone ever purchase from Crestmont?
    And when you get to the dealership they'll tell you: "Sorry, it was sold, but we have more for thousands more".
  • dodgeman4dodgeman4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks nomad56 for the helpful advice.
  • dshirshdshirsh Member Posts: 5
    My master key is normally just used for the trunk. I tried it on the doors and found that it turns to the right OK but will not turn left in any of the 3 locks. Lubed the locks, same problem. Sound like a worn out key ?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Sorry for the intrusion but I want to know what is a 1500cc, 2000cc or 2500cc petrol engine? Is that the equivalent of a 4, 6, or eight cylinder engine, and how does that translate to horse power.

I am in the process of buying a 1999 reconditioned Toyota Windom (right-hand drive) from Japan and ship to the Caribbean, but the agent wants to know if I want the 2000cc or 2500cc model. I think the price is reasonable at 890,000 yen.

Much help is appreciated.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    The Windom is essentially a Lexus ES model. In the 1990s it was usually offered with a 2.5 or 3.0 liter V6. Bigger engine usually means better performance, but sometimes also uses more fuel. Non US forums may give you more information.
  • 02mdx02mdx Member Posts: 64
    fndlyfmrflyr is correct, a '98 Toyota Windom is the previous generation Lexus ES300. In Japan, engine size is commonly referenced in cc (Cubic Centimeters). Thus, a 2500 cc engine is equivalent to a 2.5 Liter engine. The current Avalon is a 3.0 Liter engine.

bwia, you might want to consider having the Catalytic Converter removed b/c many Caribean nations use leaded gasoline. This way you can use leaded gasoline w/o any problems, although the emissions will suffer, but this is not a priority to many 3rd world contries. Also, you might want to move on the transaction quickly, as the U.S. Dollar is at 3 year lows against the yen or wait for the U.S. to adjust it's currency policy...
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Thanks guys for the information. I am building a vacation home in the Caribbean where the cars are right-hand drive cars just like in Japan.

What I noticed however, was a robust market for used Japanese cars. I investigated further and realized I could purchase a good used Japanese car at a significant discount.

In today's Wall Street Journal there is a page one article (How Japan's Second-Hand Cars Make Their Way to Third World) that explains this flourishing market.
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    O.K. My Rams and Packers are toast so plenty of time uring the games, I scrolled through all 126 pages of post. Conclusion, options to make Av look better.

1) Mudflaps, cheap, may hide little wagon tires.
       $100
    2) 215/55 H 16 is the way to go for a bolder look without changing wheels and calibrations.
       $500-$700
    3) New shocks probably more stability in handling
       than tire, but nothing for looks. $640
    4) Spend big money and go up to The wheels are
       ATP 17x8 alloy wheels and some Dunlop Sport
       5000 tires ($1600, a poster had pics, car
       looked good, but he was selling it?).
       $1600
    5) Do nothing $0

Any recommendations, anyone go with #2 the larger profile tires? How is it?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    is #5, and wait for the redesigned model to bow in the Fall, unless you already own the car, in which my recommendation would be: #2, though I have no experience with that.

~alpha
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    Since I read the whole board on the Ave, and needed to, just a note to you auto enthusiast, of which I admit, I don"t know a whole lot about. Those who love the Mark Levison name, kinda crack me up. Its still a JBL. Audio is my work. Yes, they components are built a little better, but your bucking up another $300 for speakers and some watts with the Lexus, but an old Clarion,(older Saab) will blow it away, Infinity (all your Chrysler's) Lexicon (home), JBL (Toyota and others), JBL Pro (studio), Harmon Kardon (newer Saabs), Madrigal (high end), Revel (high end), Becker (Mercedes Benz),Crown (amps), Mark Levison (Lexus), Proceed (high end), Studer (studio), Soundcraft, AKG (headphones) are all made by the same company; Harmon International, a great company, and has bought up many brands that have gone belly up over the years, like Levison with heavy brand cache. Harmon Int stock is up about 300% over the past three years and trades near $80.00/share (I don't work there, wish I did).
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    SMU:

While not an authority by any means, waiting for the 2005 Avalon is probably an idea a dealership )or Alpha01 might give you. If does not change the inherit weaknesses of the car, as all of them have.

I have a 02 model XL, and drive extensively in the Northeast from West Point, NY to Ft. Drum,NY on an interstate and rural state highway, in all types of inclement weather. You may or may not be in that situation and your situation might dictate other methods to enjoy the vehicle more.
    This is what I did, in reference to your post. I have added in addition, many items such as two sets of PIAA fog and driving lamps, an electronic deer alert, XM radio, but this is limited to your post.

1. The absolute, biggest improvement to this model year Avalon 00-present, was the replacement of TOKICOHP shocks. Without a doubt, the car rides, handles, and breaks totally different. Yes, there are pros and cons, but the pros far outweigh the cons in this case. If you remember CR report on the Avalon, the cons of the stock car included bottoming out, excessive front nose dive during high speed braking, and mediocre handling. These specific aftermarket shocks have addressed all of these issues without VSC, and then some. Is the ride stiffer; yes, but not nearly as much as you would think. I cannot comment on other aftermarket shocks(Koni, Bilstein, etc.) The install is relatively straight forward for a competent wheel and alignment place. Note: I still have a set of the OEM wheels and tires.

2. You can, although not specifically designed for this model year, put on Energy Suspension PU bushing for the sway bar mounts. NOT the Control Arm Bushing. Don't mess with this!!! The polurethane bushing both front and rear, attached to the sub frame, and with less flex, will improve the cornering, and yes, will let a little more vibration through the car. But, there are NO rattles or squeaks in my car at 38K miles to date.

3. No, as far as wheels and tires go, these are strictly my thoughts in my own situation. I have two sets of the OEM wheels, both steel and alloy and one set of 16" rims with 215/55 H 16. I have got to tell you, that although people think they look good, they are the LEAST favorite upgrade I can think of. Here is why. They are a more costly upgrade that the others; The ride quality and hydroplanning increases significantly without a big gain in performance; it is an upgrade that keeps costing!!!!!!!!with replacement tires that are more expensive than OEM.

In addition, the Avalon body does NOT flare at the wheel wheels so, the slightly wider tire set themselves out from the splash guards in the back a little, not alot, but I am very meticulous so I notice everything.

If I have to do it all over again, I would do the TokicoHP for sure, probably the PU bushings(Energy Suspension) although they were painful to put in the fronts, and not bother at all with the wheels or tires.

These are my experiences with regarding your post issues. Toyota may or may not address the weaknesses of the vehicle in their new model (2005)as their are masters at crossing parts from other models and lines (OEM shocks same in Camry, Avalon, and Lexus 300).

Hope this helps. Save the money on the wheels and put in an XM stereo. Now there is something also that was well worth the cost for enjoyment purposes.

abfisch
  • bascher1bascher1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone noticed the yellowing of their bumpers on the 2001XLS pearl white paint ? I took mine back many times to Arlington Toyota here in Jacksonville with out any success. They refused to do anything under warranty. Anyone else have luck getting Toyota to repair?
    Toyota has had problems with the pearl white paint in the past. I remember a lemon law case I heard in the late 90s where the Avalon pearl white had yellow blotches. Some of these were six inches or more across and they were on several body sections. The blotches seemed to be coming from under the paint.

Toyota insisted they were not to blame and that the cause had to be airborne. The customer won a repurchase. I later found out that there had been a paint problem with the pearl white at the factory for a day or two and other pearl white cars were having the same paint problem.

In sixteen years hearing lemon law cases Toyota was the most arrogant manufacturer I came across. They gave me the impression their policy was you bought it, you own it, too bad, Toyota!

I can't say how they are today. I stopped hearing lemon law cases about 5 years ago. My own personal experience with my Toyotas has been problems have been taken care of well at the dealer level. This is opposite of what I observed at hearings.

Note: My Avalon is pearl white.

If it is only the rear bumper you can also consider having the bumper repainted. The come to you people that fix dealer's cars (scratched and damaged painted bumpers) can repaint your bumper in a couple of hours. My neighbor had his bumpers repaired and fixed by one of these services. Took a little over two hours and the cost was very reasonable. I can't tell the bumpers (both) were ever damaged.

The cost to repaint the rear bumper on my MDX was only $80. That included fixing the deep scratches.
  • jluther2jluther2 Member Posts: 18
    fndlyfmrflyr - Response to #2513.
    I took Toyota to the dealer sponsored arbitration for a banging from the rear suspension.
    You have to first get the panel allow your claim to proceed to arbitration. Mine was declared eligible as it should have been covered under warranty per the panel.
    Now for the Arbitration process. The arbitrator had absolutely no knowledge of the mechanical workings of an automobile.
    In the arbitrator's decision during a test drive the arbitrator acknowledged the banging noise
    from the rear suspension. The arbitrator then disallowed my claim for a repurchase or replacement caliming I failed under the LEMON LAW to prove the value was not substantially reduced due to this problem.
    This was not filed under the lemon law - it was filed under the dealer sponsored Arbitration Process. Which is by the way just what it is DEALER SPONSORED.
    There is no appeal to the dealer sponsored Arbitration Process.
    On December 1, 2003 I followed up with a detailed to letter to Toyota North America President & CEO Mr Yuki Funo in Torrence, CA regarding my problems with our 2003 Toyota Avalon. Here it is January 22, 2004 and to date no response from him or his office.
    ARROGANT - there has to be a stronger word in Webster's dictionary.
    Sorry about your arbitration experience. Even when I was hearing cases there were arbitrators that knew nothing about cars and others that had a very different definition of significant.

Where I heard cases it was manufacturer sponsored and the consumer did not have to accept the arbitrators decision, but the manufacturer did. This allowed the consumer to go to court after an unfavorable decision from an arbitrator.

My neighbor two doors down from me had a similar experience, like yours, years ago. He went to court after losing the arbitration. He won in court and got all of his money back, plus attorney fees.

Many of the cases I heard were unfair in the sense the manufacturer had been through hearings a number of times and it was a first time for the consumer. Most consumers were nervous and many were not well prepared. Sometimes I would have to ask leading questions of the consumer and manufacturer in order to get enough information to make a fair decision.

I also found that the few times a consumer brought a lawyer to the arbitration the lawyers were not prepared well for how the process worked. It was not a court room and the rules were different.

The customer prevailed about half of the time. It wasn't uncommon that the customer was trying to pull a fast one, but these were usually easy to spot. What used to really get me was when there was a glaring defect in the car and the manufacturer did nothing. Then at the hearing tried to say there wasn't anything wrong with the car that couldn't be fixed.

My worst case like that was a customer claimed his car would move forward when he put the car in reverse. The manufacturer said that wasn't possible (it was a stick shift). It turned out to be the shortest test drive I have ever made. Customer was correct: The car went forward when the shift lever was in reverse. Only time I broke the rules and issued a decision on the spot.

Lemon laws vary state to state. However, most have the same criteria: There must be a 'substantial' loss in use, value, or safety. The key is the word substantial. To some it is nearly impossible to get to substantial while to others just not fixing a minor problem is.

BTW, having a car person as an arbitrator can also work against the consumer. The car person will be more likely to know what is a annoying design characteristic common to the model rather than a defect. Toyota had at least three of these while I was arbitrating.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    Abfisch--How do you happen to choose the Tokico shocks? It seems you'd have to ride in a similar car with those shocks to know if they'd be something you want. What was the cost? Did you risk voiding the warranty? As you say, I hope Toyota addresses the problem themselves in the 2005 Avalon. I am reluctant to mess with stock. When I checked with the Tokico site, they were not helpful; reply was that there were no Tokico shocks for the Avalon.
    pmc48:

I hope this post addresses ALL your questions. If not, ask more.

1. I have had about, lets see experience with aftermarket shocks, since I was in college and had a Datsun 28Z, graduating in 1981. I know I am dating myself. The TokicoHP, in my opinion, are the best. Why, my experience with Bilstein, were they were too hard, except maybe for a 20 year old back, and a twin tube shock design given a comparable performance gives a better ride(softer, not softest).

2. I believe I got the shocks on the internet, for about $400, for the set of four. Actually, these are stuts, on all four corners. You can probably do better on ebay if you are smart and can wait a bit. Anything in the $350 range is a good price for the Avalon/Camry, which is the same replacement part number.

3. Warranty-A warranty is ONLY as good as the company and dealship that honors them. Some dealerships are great, some not so good. The dealership that I bought my car from was the later, as a separate warranty problem I had took 16 months to fix, neither by the dealer or the Toyota Motor Corp. They bounced it back and forth between the two of them, never diagnosing the problem correctly. Finally, (high speed vibration), I took about the front brakes and found the problem, and corrected it myself, using premium brake components. But...to answer you question from your standpoint, YES.... I voided their warranty 3years/36K at about the 15K mark, when I could no longer stand, the damn thing bottoming out when loaded, or excessively diving when seeing a patrol car or traffic stopping abruptly. It made me frustrated and angry, that there top of the line car, does not have top of the line dampers. Now it does. If you are reluctant to change them, then just wait until your warranty expires, then do it. You will have wished you did it sooner, but that is OK. Express your experience in this forum for others.

4. You did not get to the correct place on the Tokico site. When accessing the site, go to "Cars", then "applications", then Toyota, then you are there. They make the HP shocks, not the Illumina, for the older model and new model (2000-present) Avalon. I have an 2002 and they fit like OEM. Even though the dealership will not do it, a reputable, "wheel and alignment shop" or "frame and axle shop" will. You will need a 4 wheel alignment to supplement this change, so it is not an inexpensive deal. Struts, labor, and alignment, probably $700 or so when you are all through. The struts are warrantied from Tokico for the life YOU(original owner) have the car, so if you keep it along time, it is worth it. IF not, then probably not.

5. I drive 20K/yearly, last car sold privately at 236K (Honda Civic EX), 11.5 years old, Tokico Shocks put in after 100K. You couldn't make the OEM tires squeak around a corner. Superior in any vehicle that has decent suspension geometry.

6. Unless Toyota offers the 05 plus Avalon with a "Sports Suspension Package", I would expect the shocks to be the same ones they put in the NEW Camry/Lexus 330. This is how they save money and make money. The new Lexus 430, now comes with a "sports suspension package" (not fufu_ including different rate springs, a larger rear sway bar, some different PU bushings, and ofcourse 18" alloy wheels instead of 17". I have no idea how different it rides, but this should quiet those who says that the Avalon was only made to ride like a Buick. I disagree. It can ride well, isolate vibration, and handle well comprising little. It is still not a BMW 5 series ride, but close enough for the many miles I do, with much better reliablility and maintenance I can do myself.

I have 38K on this 02 now. Everything is fine. The XM stereo added to the JBL system was a sweet addition. We also hooked up a Valentine One Radar detector with a direct connect to the battery(no wires visible).

I hope this is informative and helpful. Again, if you trade often, lease, or just don't care, it is a big initial expense. But I always get my money's worth out of it in the end, as I always keep my vechiles a minimum of 10 years, paying for the next one cash. If you decide to do it, just find a competent shop that does that kind of work, all the time. It is usually very easy for them to do it as they have much bigger jobs, like taking down the entire suspensions, leaf springs in trucks, cross members, etc. It is a chip shot for a good ASE mechanic.

Happy motoring.

abfisch
  • larryellislarryellis Member Posts: 1
    Fourteen months ago in my 2000 Avalon xls my remote failed to work. Couldn't open the door or the trunk. Had to access the car with the key. Took it to Toyota and they re-programed the remote (whatever that means), charged me 50 bucks, everything fine. Until this morning, same thing happened again. Remote won't work, will have to take it back to Toyota. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.
    Sorry you are having problems with the remote. Is it a Toyota remote????? Had a very good aftermarket AVITAL remote, alarm, and autostarter put on. In the Northeast on a 2002 and no problems to date. Use of 0W-30 helps in sub zero conditions.

abfisch
  • fatguycarfatguycar Member Posts: 38
    My wife is complaining about the heater in both her "new" 1997 Lexus 300 (my old car) and my "new" 2000 Avalon XLS.

She claims that the air blows cold after a while. I presume that the heater supplies hot air until the desired temperature is reached and then cools down a little to keep the temperature steady.

I never noticed this while driving the Lexus over the last three years. Maybe the extra low temperatures in Mass lately have affected how the heater works?

Both cars have automatic temperature control.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    We had some problems with heat distribution in my wife's 2000 xls earlier this winter. We had just had the 30K service and when I checked the paperwork noted that the a/c filter hadn't been done.

I took it back, they changed it (n/c) and heater air flow problems went away.

Good luck!
    Will check it.
    I have often wondered whether Toyota would be interested as marketing an Avalon (this one or the next) as a Lexus?

I could see an LS-330. Even the current model lends itself to Lexus treatment, thus leaving the low end of the Lexus range as IS-300 (Low price, competes with BMW 330), ES-330 (Competes with BMW 530), and LS-330 (General luxury car at sub-$40K).

The only trouble is that the Avalon is bigger inside than any Lexus ever made, even the current LS-430.
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Is the Avalon really bigger than the LS 430? If so then.. wow. I might be looking at it much closer when the '05 model comes out.
    There is a newish LS 430 on the horizon that could be larger, but the current Avalon is definitely bigger than the current LS 430.
    Sat in a 04 LS430 last month. I am not sure what you are describing by bigger, but I did note the following. The LS430 seat not only articulates to move the bottom seat forward more towards your knees but the seat travel if much more than the present Avalon. The steering wheel also telescopes so the driving position for a bigger person is much improved. It is also a heavier car as I find the Avalon, big but light at supralegal speeds. The Avalon (and I like my O2) does not "hunker down" on the highway when go above 75MPH. It gets a little light, especially with the "light and fuzzy" steering. My opinions only, not the gopsel. The AValon is 1/2 the price, but their is a significant jump in the Lexux.

In addtion, the Lexus LS430's truck is at least as big, and the fuel tank is 22.2 gallons (US) versus the Avalon 18.5. While not getting the same gas mileage, you can run approx. 550 miles on the Lexus without fill up.

abfisch
    While all the exterior dimensions are smaller than the Lexus, the Avalon has a slightly wider shoulder room (0.1 inch) and a massively greater legroom in the back (40.10 inches to 37.60).

In other dimensions the Lexus is an inch or so larger. I was comparing the Avalon with the LS 400 recently which is why I made the mistake - sorry. And I'm sure that the space is efficiently used in the 430.
  • pmcb48pmcb48 Member Posts: 192
    I am wondering what current (especially 2000-2004) Avalon owners feel about the quality of the Avalon's ride. Too soft? Bottoming out on dips or when heavily loaded? Or is it just right? Some people feel aftermarket shocks are needed, like the Tokico HPs. Is that a rare or more common opinion? No information as yet regarding possible suspension options in 2005. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Hi everyone. Just purchased a used 2000XLS Avalon for my wife. Love the tight quiet ride and smooth power. We have discovered a problem with the CD changer. I assumed it was empty when we bought it. It had the CD stack on the display flashing. Is this normal for an empty changer? When we loaded a CD into it, it took it in OK, but does not recognize a CD has been loaded and will not eject it or play it. It just keeps clicking as if trying to position the CD correctly.
        Is this a common problem, or is it a rare occurence. luckily have a warranty from the dealer and will be taking it in this am. Any answers this AM will be appreciated.
    CD Problem: Don't have the 5 disc, but make sure the interior is warmed up. Not sure if you are in a colder climate. My does not work when it is below freezing, understandably. Other than that, use your warranty. Installation of an XM radio would negate the mechanical hassles of these other devices.

Avalon Ride Comments: Reference CR article I believe, JAN 03, review of Avalon. I think it was last year this time. Pros and Cons interesting. Most people enjoy it as is, not me, but most. Depends on your driving situations.

abfisch
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    All is well now. Dealer swapped out the stereo for a new one. It was faulty. He could not get out the CD, but allowed me to drive a 2004 Passat W8 4motion as a loaner. Wow that was a fun car, but kind of loud on the road noise. So I'm calling it even. It was a collection of Mozart no biggie. Had to have the rotors replaced too. Also under warranty without batting an eye. I figured why complain about a $4.00 CD with that kind of service.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    If you ask enough Avalon owners about the car, you will find the large rear seat and trunk are are two *very* important reasons they bought it. No car that is Avalon length has that much available space. The 18.5 gallon gas tank is also nice. Overall quality is well known. The price is also very reasonable for all that you get.

A Lexus LS430, mentioned above, is not in Avalon's class. You can buy any TWO Avalons made for just one LS430. And in 3 years an LS430 depreciates about what a good Avalon costs. The ride..the feel...nothing is similar here except dependability. No comparison is meaningful.

Some say Avalon has problems with a soft ride. The car will bottom out on occasion. Above 80 mph in a high crosswind is scary. Curvy roads at speed can be exciting. Steering feel above 25 mph is non-existent. Believe, this is not an Acura TL or BMW 5 series. But most owners who post here seem to accept these things. (My opinion, the worst thing Avalon offers is Auto-temp on the XLS. Too many problems posted. And it didn't even work properly on the DEMO '03 I drove!)

Avalons can be modified - wheels, tires, etc. - and some owners have explained that very well and in detail here. For me, the car fine as is. Our greatest worry, as Avalon owners, is what Toyota will do to the next generation. But if we read these many boards often enough, at least we will be among the first to know... Enjoy.
    I wouldn't buy a new 430. I reckon that this time next year an early 430 will go used for around 30K.

I went from Lexus ES 300 to Avalon, and I think that the Avalon offers (mildly) better value. The Avalon's ride could be better, but the majority of people want a "Japanese Buick" (and having driven a Buick as an insurance replacement for several months, the Buick shows exactly what's wrong with American design).
    Great posts above. Sounds like you have a respectable Toyota dealership, and you are lucky. Some are not. OEM rotor quality does not get an excellent or very good from me. Had a severely warped front R from the get go.

Perhaps the new model will address some of the CON issues.

abfisch
  • lyn03lyn03 Member Posts: 5
    I read an earlier post about the check engine light coming on. I'm having the same problem. I had an earlier post about my car's oil consumption. My 01 Avalon was in the shop for 5 1/2 weeks this past summer getting a complete engine overhaul for oil consumption. Right before Thanksgiving the check engine light came on. I immediately took it to the local dealer. They changed a few things and the light went out for a couple of days. When it came on again I again took it to the dealer. They kept it all day and did nothing to it. They said they had no idea why it was on. It has now been on steady since the beginning of December. After having my car in the shop for so long this summer, I just am fed up with having it in the shop. By the way, when it kept burning oil there was only 20,000 miles on the car. When this new problem arose, there was only 25,000 miles. I am now nearing the 3 year (in March) warranty. I did not buy the extended warranty. I am considering doing that now.
  • kozakidkozakid Member Posts: 16
    Perhaps it was my post you read concerning a check engine light problem. A few weeks ago I took my car to to a Toyota service department for the fifth time since August with this same engine light problem. I was told that my car would be checked out extensively this time. The good news is that I picked it up nearly two weeks ago and the light has not come on again.

The January 15 invoice reads that an evap test had shown the filler neck and gas cap to be faulty, so they were replaced. That, however, did not solve the problem since the light came on again three days later. So I took it in once more. My most recent invoice, dated January 23rd, reads as follows: GAS CAP DEFECTIVE. REPLACED GAS CAP. Apparently the new gas cap from eight days earlier had somehow been faulty and needed replacing. Anyhow, I'm thankful that the light is currently out.

Now for the bad news. When I phoned the service department the morning of January 23rd, I was told that my car had been fixed, but I was also told that a Toyota employee had driven my car through a yellow light at a camera-equipped intersection the night before. (I believe I was also told that the employee had driven my car home that night.) In any case, the service employee said that I may or may not receive a violation notice, but if I did she told me to simply forward it to the service department and someone there would pay it.

Three days later I received a $70.00 traffic violation ticket from the city, and of course I'll send it to the dealership and have them take care of it; however, I read the ticket and learned that the traffic light had actually been red, not yellow (which I suspected had been the case), and that the violation had occurred at 11:02 PM! What I'm wondering is how outraged should I be by what has happened, and what -- if anything -- should I do about it. First of all, it strikes me as unusual that an employee would be driving my car after working hours as part of the testing process. I figured it would only be tested during working hours. Also, why would the employee be so careless as to run a red light? And for what reason would he/she be driving my car after 11 at night? (From the still picture it appears that someone could have been in the front passenger seat, though I'm not sure of that.) Since I wasn't there, I have no way of knowing who was in my car that night and what that person, or persons, might have been up to.

At the very least, isn't it unusual that a customer's car would be "tested" after 11 PM? I wonder how widespread this practice may be. Do employees routinely drive customer's cars home at night, if, indeed, that is what happenend? Has anyone had a similar experience? I guess I wouldn't have even been aware of this if the camera hadn't caught my car running the red light.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    And go visit the owner of the Toyota dealership. Make arrangements for a representative of the police department of the municipality where the red-light incident occurred to be present.

Ask for a sworn statement to be taken by the police that the person driving the car was the employee of the Toyota place.

Then have your lawyer open a discussion with the owner about compensation.

Do you know if this ticket, even if paid by Toyotie, is going to impact your insurance?

I think this practice is very, very unusual.