Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• zekeman1zekeman1 Member Posts: 422
    Fwiw, I got 39 mpg doing 55 mph in my LTD...drove it only 189 miles, so can't really say how far I could've gone on a tank. :)
    zekeman1
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    i have a 96 and i drove about 800 kms on a friday.
    came back on a sunday and we had done a otal of 1900kms. there were 3 of us in the car and the A/C was on at full blast (late June last yr with the temp at 3OC +) and driving way over the limit. averaged 8.3L per 100kms and THATS GOOD.
  • shawn4818shawn4818 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Avalon XLS. I would like to adjust the volume of the beep sound when using the remote key. But, I could not find any instructions in the manual about how. Does anyone know how to do this? Or, any suggestions? Thanks!
    I posted this on the Other thread a few days back
    ---------------------------------------------

i have a 96 and i drove about 800 kms on a friday.
    came back on a sunday and we had done a otal of 1900kms. there were 3 of us in the car and the A/C was on at full blast (late June last yr with the temp at 3OC +) and driving way over the limit. averaged 8.3L per 100kms and THATS GOOD.
  • kpraveenkpraveen Member Posts: 22
    Deepan thank you for your reply.
  • asdfghjkasdfghjk Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a clue why a 2000 Avalon's keyless entry (FOB) works only intermittently? Seems to work at home, but never anywhere else. Cleaned inside with alcohol swabs. When it works it has great range; and when it doesn't... not even from right next to car. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    For the last couple of weeks I have having a bad aural experience with my 2000 XLS. The sounds from the JBL speakers are muffled even at the lowest volume level.

So far I have changed all the settings: increase/lower the base, trebble, fade etc. without any success. Does anyone have any idea why the sudden bad fidelity? Since the car is out of warranty the dealer will charge an arm an a leg for a diagnosis.
  • kgl_mkgl_m Member Posts: 2
    Hello folks, I'm trying to decide between a 96 Avalon and a 96 Corolla of similar vintage.

I know these are very different cars, but they are both supposed to be fairly reliable and good value for money.

Some background - me and my girlfriend are looking for a car together, we are both 24 and this isn't our first car. I own a Mazda Miata but am going to sell it once we get a replacement sedan. My choice.

Anyway, we found a really nice 96 Avalon with 90k miles. It has leather, sunroof, CD, six seats. Its a very nice car. The buyer was asking $5900, got it down to $5700 but he still has it and is waiting for a higher offer till Tuesday because he said he has to keep it till his replacement car comes in on Tuesday (we saw it on Friday and he said he had 5 people already show interest in it and 2 had come to look at it, he had more people lined up for the weekend).

From what I've seen, a 96 or similar Corolla is going to be $3500-4000 for similar vintage.

Now, I'm going to assume that both cars are relatively well-depreciated and won't lose a lot more of their value if we sell after 2-3 years. Is that assumption correct? If it is, then the cost of ownership comes down to the fact that the avalon has more electronics and will drink more gas - potentially an issue with rising gas prices, which i think will stabilize around $3 this year, but my guess is as good as anyone else's.

So what I'm trying to decide is whether it is worth paying more now for the Avalon because it is a more premium car and rides nicer and quieter on the highway. I actually want to get rid of my convertible because it is kind of noisy on the highway.

Advise me! Advice on how to handle the seller of this Avalon would also be nice.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm not looking at Camrys because they cost almost as much as Avalons and the fuel economy is almost the same.
    i have a similar Avalon XLS.(seats 5). I love the car. the power, roominess etc. the only time i regret the car is when i go for a fill up.

I havent owned a Corolla but Its WAy too small. the only time i Would be happy to be driving it is probably when i am at the GAs station :)
  • sharkmama49sharkmama49 Member Posts: 22
    I would appreciate it if anyone has had a problem with their navigation screen saying it can not read the dvd, please let me know how you were able to resolve the problem. :confuse:
  • tlkoertlkoer Member Posts: 7
    I have a avalon xls with abs brakes. Every once in awhile when I hit the brakes I get a buzzing sound. What could be causing this? I had read somewhere that there is a separate brake reserve for the abs system. Since I don't know that much about abs brake systems I don't know if there is a separate system. Any help on this would be appreciated.

thanks, Tammy
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national finance magazine is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Toyota Avalon and have been frustrated with the problems of the vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, May 25, 2006 by 5:00 PM PST/8:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the year of your Avalon.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • platinumxtcplatinumxtc Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Toyota Avalon XL 2000 3 weeks ago and my rear 8" subwoofer recenly blew out and I am trying to purchase a new one at a competative price.
    I've owned my pre-owned Toyota Avalon XL 2000 for about 3 weeks. After the 3rd day white smoke would come out of the tailpipe on a cold start for about a minute. I do not have any leaks but my oil is definetly burning. I had an oil change and a full tune-up but the problem hasn't changed. 2 weeks after the oil change I needed 2 quarts of oil. Can anyone help or did I purchase a lemon and now need an attorney???
    :lemon: Did I purchase a lemon??? :lemon:
  • alan_salan_s Member Posts: 362
    You may have the engine sludge problem. Providing that you have the maintenance documentation (or can get the maintenance records from a Toyota dealer) to prove that the vehicle was properly maintained, then Toyota will cover this under an 8 year special warranty.

This is right off the Toyota Owner Info website:

Engine Oil Gel - Customer Support Program

Question
    What is Toyota's Customer Support Program for engine oil gel?

Answer
    A very small number of Toyota owners have reported engine damage from a condition known as oil gelling or sludge. Because customer satisfaction is our first priority and we want our owners to know we stand behind our products, we implemented a Customer Support Program for covered vehicles that have experienced engine oil gel.
    Engine oil gel occurs when old, dirty engine oil becomes thick and no longer adequately lubricates the engine and, if not corrected, can lead to severe engine damage. Performing regular engine oil and engine oil filter changes will prevent engine oil gel.

Symptoms of engine oil gel may include:

MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light)/Check Engine Light “On”
    Blue smoke from the tailpipe
    Excessive oil consumption
    If you are not experiencing symptoms and are maintaining the vehicle as recommended in the Scheduled Maintenance Guide or Owner's Manual Supplement, no further action is required. We simply encourage you to continue to perform engine oil and engine oil filter changes as recommended. We are confident that the majority of Toyota customers do not require any reminder about the importance of changing the engine oil in their vehicles.

The Customer Support Program assists customers who have made a reasonable effort to maintain their vehicles and have engine repairs due to engine oil gel. The Customer Support Program will provide coverage for engine oil gel related damage for eight (8) years from the date of first sale or lease of a vehicle with no mileage limitation.

Vehicle maintenance information can be found on our Service and Maintenance page. The Toyota Scheduled Maintenance Guide or Owner's Manual Supplement can also help you determine which maintenance interval is appropriate for your driving conditions.

If your vehicle has symptoms of engine oil gel, please contact the Customer Relations Manager at your local Toyota dealership for further assistance.

Each claim is individually reviewed to determine if reimbursement is appropriate. If you have paid for previous repairs you feel may be related to this condition, please contact us at 1-888-802-9436 for further assistance.

The following vehicles have engines covered by the Customer Support Program:

MODEL MODEL YEAR
    Avalon 1997-2002

Camry
    4 Cylinder
    1997-2001
    V6 1997-2002

Celica 1997-1999
    Highlander
    4 Cylinder Not involved
    V6 2000-2002

Sienna 1997-2002

Solara
    4 Cylinder 1999-2001
    V6 1999-2002

For more info click here:

Toyota Owner Info
    Alan,

Thanks again, just as a heads up, I called and the warranty on my car ended in May of 2005. The customer support rep assumed it may be a loose valve within the engine. He asked me to contact the dealer who sold me the car. After contacting him, he claims that there isn't an issue with the car because, "it runs fine and doesn't make any unusual sounds." What would you suggest I do?
    There is a special 8 year warranty for this problem, if you car has this particular problem. Your standard 60 month powertrain warranty may be up, but the 8 year warranty is a special warranty that runs 3 years after the standard 5 year warranty runs out.

I suggest you go into a Toyota dealer with the car and VIN and ask them to print out the maintenance history of the car. If the car was maintained by Toyota dealers, the records will be on Toyota's computer system. I don't think you should initially give them the reason you are asking for the records, because who knows - they may not want to give them to you. Tell them you just bought the car and you want to see the service history.
    Once you have the records, then you could talk to them about your concerns. The dealers know about this problem and they may be able to assist you in getting this done under the warranty, otherwise get the diagnosis from the dealer in writing if this is in fact the problem, and then call the Toyota customer service number with your documentation in hand.
    The 2000 Avalon is a very good car, but if you have the engine gel problem it will have to be fixed, however you have to get this diagnosed first by a Toyota dealer.

The other question is if you received any warranty from the selling dealer? If so, you may have some recourse there.

How many miles has your car done?
  • scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    platinumxtc,

Yes, agree with Alan, it sounds like the sludge problem. Classic symptoms are the smoke and what appears to be oil usage (the oil is really just getting gunked up inside your engine and not circulating). You may also notice chunks or globs of oil on the dipstick.

Has the check engine light come on yet? The longer you drive in this condition, the more potential damage you may be doing to your engine. The only way for a certain diagnosis is to get the valve cover pulled. If you have this done at Toyota, ask to be present when it is removed so you can see for yourself or go to an independent mechanic for the diagnosis. The 8 year policy is from initial purchase and unlimited miles, so you should be covered until 2007/08 depending on the purchase date. The big problem is that you must prove "reasonable" maintenance -- virtually impossible for a buyer of a used vehicle unless like Alan said the original owner had the oil changes performed by Toyota or you can locate the owner and find where he did get the oil changed (most every place keeps electronic records these days). I also agree with Alan, that you may have some recourse with whoever you bought the vehilce from.

Toyota may be gracious enough to do this for you out of good will if you are unable to locate records, but you may need to take it to Toyota corporate to get some action. Good luck.
  • goldengrove1goldengrove1 Member Posts: 7
    How do I replace the shift lever bulb on a 98XLS? I removed the trim but just do not know how to get to the bulb.
    I think your piston rings are bad and that is the reason you are burning oil.The oil is seeping into the cumbustion chamber when the pressure builds up.If I am right,you should demand a refund from the guy who did your tune-up.Just my two cents.Please keep the forum posted.
  • jesch1jesch1 Member Posts: 9
    Love this car as original owner with 56k, but it has pinging type noise on acceleration at lower speeds, an automatic. Mechanic says Toyota says try premium. Did that for awhile and noise was not as noticeable. Got off that about six months ago and back to gasahol @89-90 octane again and now problem seems a little worse. Back to this tank 92 octane and still a problem. Anyone else have anything like this?
    Regular toyota oil and filter changes @ usually 3000 miles.

Nothing in manual about needing premium gas and it is more expensive. Seems Toyota problem. Also have a new 2005 XLS and use 89 octane with gasahol, as does dealer for new Avalons. With gasahol subsidies, that gas makes sense. Helpful comments please.

gpfor4j
  • abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Have an O2 with 82K. No pinging ever. Have them check the values, or similar engine componetry.

abfisch
  • lschoelkopflschoelkopf Member Posts: 2
    My check engine light came on after timing belt was changed. It has never come on before, 89k miles. He wants to tear into it again to see, although he manually cleared the code/light. What could have caused this? The car has run perfectly since new(2000).
  • lschoelkopflschoelkopf Member Posts: 2
    My disc pads were changed and rotors (supposedly) turned, but now my steering wheel shakes at 60MPH+. Pads were high ends ceramic. Should discs be turned again/checked?
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    lschoelkopf, may I ask how much it cost to change the timing belt? And how did it take?
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Start with the easy stuff: check the tire pressure and then the tire balance. Maybe a wheel weight fell off.

But if did not do this when you took it in, and does it now, the problem could easily be the rotor(s). If they were turned improperly, and this happens, you get vibrations, especially when you apply the brakes. The pads do not move in rotation so if the vibration occurs with no brake pressure, it's probably not the pads. (But they could be dragging from poor installation, causing rotor problems. Possible.)

Before attempting to turn the rotors again you need to measure the thickness of the rotor. There is a minimum to be safe and work properly. Check the books. Only so many turns, then you get new ones as the rotors get too thin. Usually 3 turns max on the front is safe the limit. Maybe only 1 or 2 if you went too far before a brake job. Newly turned rotors are bright, shiny and smoothe to the touch.

Forum member *abfisch* drives an Avalon with front end and other suspension upgrades and may have more ideas here...
    Ummm. All correct fin, but do not advocate "turning" rotors. I only replace them. Cutting them thin the metal and you wind up replacing them sooner anyway, and the labor is intensive, whether you do it yourself or not, especially if you live in the North where rust is the enemy of brakes. i cannot tell if this member replaced not only pads but rotors nor can I tell if the pads were "bedded in" properly so it is difficult to ascertain. But I am sure it is the rotor either way.

abfisch
    Loosen all the wheel lug nuts and have them re torqued at the correct spec found in the back of your owners manual. If they are over torqued they can deflect the aluminum wheel and stretch the lugs and eventually warp your rotors.
    Toyotas are very sensitive to lug nut torque and this has caused me vibration problems in the past.
    If this does not solve the problem, rebalance the wheels because the wheels may have been deflected during over tightening and are now out of balance, and then remount with the correct torque.
    The best balancing system is Hunter RoadForce. Many Toyota dealers have them and so do Discount Tires.
  • finfin Member Posts: 594
    Because I have most of my tire work done at a shop that does high end and performance cars, any thoughts of improper torque never crossed my mind. But, you are right. Checking for possible wheel damage and proper torque specs, along with balance, is a good idea here.
  • tucazcattucazcat Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I read your reply to the Avalon 2000 problem. My sister just had a similar experiance. The dealer wanted almost $400. I was looking for a part price on the net for the Mass airflow sensor which the dealer said it was. Are we talking about the same thing and where is it located to make it easier?
    Thanks
  • par_papar_pa Member Posts: 13
    Hi,

I think we are talking about the same part. Price was around 400$ here in Canada. The MAF sensor is located just past the air filter box. The part is held by two screws, and is really easy to remove. Be careful in cleaning the sensing wire, use soft brush, take your time. You may have to repeat the operation. I know that some people use alcohol the clean the wire, but I needed none.
    Good luck, :D
  • kpraveenkpraveen Member Posts: 22
    I have checked my car A/C, i refilled coolant and oil but still a/c is not functioning. Can any one please suggest me what could be the problem.
    Thank you.
  • whilstwhilst Member Posts: 19
    Hi. 'oo xls 78K miles.
    These lights come on and car runs poorly with what seems to be brakes being applied!???
    NO "check engine" light though?
    Any one else had/have this problem?
    Suggestions/solutions?
    TIA. Jeff.
    It could be the fuse,compressor relay,the pressure switch or the compressor itself.If the fuse is good,try running two wires directly to the compressor.If it works the problem is the relay or the pressure switch.You will have to remove the wires that carry power to the compressor.If you are not mechanical savvy,just take the vehicle to the mechanic and be prepared to dig deep.Good luck.
    is the compressor kicking in. there will be a light change in rev when it kicks in or you could visually see it if you open the hood. the outer wheel is belt driven (its connected to the alternator etc) but the inner wheel is the one that you need to watch.
  • alkricalkric Member Posts: 9
    Hi there,
    About a month ago I heard a strange rubbing sound from the front left wheel. You hear the sound if you close the windows and move very slowly. A few days ago I changed the rotors (not Toyota) and the pads (Toyota) on the front wheels. For a few days there was no rubbing sound. Now the rubbing sound came back and I believe it is louder. My mechanic inspected the wheel and the break and didn’t find any problem. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Yes. Check the caliper and see if it is sticking. Just because the pads and rotors were changed, doesn't mean the brakes are working correctly. If rust has seized the glide pins, your pads will be sticking in one position and retain themselves on the rotors. So, have him check that out again. Do you live in a snow fall area??? Then rust is the enemy of brakes.

If that is not the problem, check the axle and CV joints.

abfisch
    Thanks abfisch,
    I'll talk to my mechanic. I live in Brooklyn, NY it is not that much of a snow here, but you never know.

Thanks again

Aleks
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Go to the Toyota Avalon folder to find a new discussion about tires and wheels. After you click on that link, you'll want to click on "Track This Group" so you don't miss any other new Avalon discussions.

Enjoy!
  • 49364936 Member Posts: 15
    Hi:
    I too, now have the VSC & VSC off lites on all the time since the car has been to a non toyota shop for a replacement of all plugs, they also used injector cleaner also had timing belt, water pump & thermostat etc at the same time 93,000 on a 2000 Avalon XLS. What was your final cure?
    Thanks for your time
    Les
  • gartmacdgartmacd Member Posts: 27
    Clean the MAF sensor, if that doesn't work, replace it. Reset the check engine and VSC lights.Your problem will disappear. MAF sensors are notoriously susceptible to polluted environments. It is not something exclusive to Toyota--all makes have the same problem. if you live in a major urban center anywhere, or in the prominently industrialized eastern part of the US, you will eventually suffer a MAF failure because of the poor air quality.
  • 49364936 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the reply, I cleaned the sensor wire with alcohol, it was coated with a brown residue, now its nice and bright, but no change. How do you reset the VSC & VSC off lights which are on when motor is running? If I replaced the unit do I have to get the light reset?
    Thanks for the reply
    Les
  • claytonpclaytonp Member Posts: 5
    I recently bought a 99 Avalon XLS with just over 119,000 and had drove it about 75-80 miles and the "TRAC OFF" light came on and will not go out. The owners manual says to take to dealer but it does not feel like anything is wrong. When I step on the gas there is no wheel spin. Would bad tires possibly be the cause of this? Can I simply get the code reset and be safe to see if it just goes away?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Hi there,

My Toyota Avalon 2001 has 95000 miles. Sometimes, when it stays idle for while, it gives me starting problems. I start the car and the pressure in the tachometer doesn’t go over 1. The car jumps a little and dies. To start the car, I have to start the ignition while pressing the accelerator. When I came to my mechanic, the car had no start up problems. He said that it could be anything, and all I can do is wait until my car dies. I can’t really do that because I travel a lot and would rather not be stranded in upstate New York on the road :cry:. I tried ignition clean up liquid but it didn’t help.

Thanks
    I know this may sound not what you want to hear and I am just giving you my opinion. My Avalon is an 02 with 83K. I am starting to have problems with the half shafts(transaxles) and the HVAC. Luckily, last November I bought a third car for the family, used, but fairly new with 15K on it. While I get the Avalon taken car of, I use it. It works out so much better if you havethe space to have three cars. I used to get all wrapped around the axle cause I needed my car back right away, now I don't even think twice. I give the repair place 1 month to get the parts and repair it. It they cannot do it, then they lose future business. All fair, and no worries. Not sure of your financial situration but similar situation.

i was lucky enough to pick up a 04 BMW 325ci that came over from Germany and a soldier wanted to sell it cause he was having a bigger family. The least electronic gizmos on it possible. Only a upgraded stereo and the sports package suspension. That is it. No problems to date. Use the Avalon during the winter now and for towing and long trips.

Hope some or all of this helps.

abfisch
    Hey, what were the first symptoms of the problems?

Thanks
    Alek
  • founda98founda98 Member Posts: 11
    Recently, when filling gas tank, the nozzel's automatic shutoff is activated every few seconds. Makes it VERY difficult to fill the tank. Tried several different gas stations - got same results. Is there anything I can do to fix this or do I have to have dealer service dept look at it? Thanks in advance for any input!
    Try not putting the nossle so far in the filler neck. That might help.

Arthur
  • jesch1jesch1 Member Posts: 9
    I too am interested in the transaxle problem. My 02 is in the shop now to cope with a noise audible on even slight acceleration and from previous efforts by the mechanic, the answer is not found! I have had no responses to another post on this subject and go off warranty in a few days. I hesitate to mention a transmision problem, but with little knowledge of mechanics and an unwillingness by Toyota to attribute this to the motor, the axle post intigues me. Naturally, I want this resolved now under warranty!! It has been two to three years! I have an 05 XLS too!