Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• ffbellffbell Member Posts: 1
    I agree with ronell in post # 900. The 2000 Avalon's rear suspension does not isolate bumps as well as the '95-99 models. I test drove a 2000 XLS and 1999 XLS back to back in Oct. 1999. Over the same route, bumps were loud and jolting in the 2000 model relative to the 1999. The 2000 had 16" Michelin MXV4's. A rental 2001 XLS that I drove over 300 miles two weeks ago exhibited similar characteristics. This car also had 16" MXV4's, which I maintained at 32 lbs. I have also test driven a Solara SLE V6 and found the ride firm and well controlled, but not harsh over bumps like the 2000+ Avalon. Currently, I own a 1995 Camry LE 4, which I bought new. The car has been terrific in both ride comfort and reliability. The ride is even softer than the 1999 Avalon, which I felt had a nice balance between handling and ride comfort. I believe Toyota took a short-cut on the 2000+ Avalon. While the ride is very controlled at highway speeds, I believe they could have done a better job of isolating bumps. If Toyota corrects these problems, I will likely make the Avalon my next car. Perhaps a TSB will be issued similar to those pertaining to the previous generation Avalons' strut and wind noise problems.
  • zman247zman247 Member Posts: 1
    Taupe leather interior for the 2001 XL discontinued, but think it might be good with the desert sand (light gold) exterior. So, checked the southeast 5 states for one, no luck. Found one in Jackson, MS, and proceeded to strike a deal. 2001 XL, desert sand mica w/ taupe leather interior, electric seats, pwr moonroof, gold trim package, upgrade security, keyless entry, permavin glass etch ID, pinstripes, upgrade mat set, cargo net, night vision mirror upgrade, extra mile roadside assistance pkg, moonroof wind deflector, dealer paperwork...no tax, paying that in Florida. I think that's it...looking at $27,8. Opted not to go for the alloy wheels, get a bigger choice after-market for the $150 each they wanted. I'm thinking this is about $400 over the minimum I could possibly expect to pay, and about 3k less than msrp. Whaddya think? Flying from Tampa up to Jackson tomorrow to see if we like it....(fly for free)..let me know....thanks.....zman
  • frankmaxfrankmax Member Posts: 18
    Hi There, I'm new here. I read all the posts here. They are very informative and helpful. I just bought my XL about two weeks ago. Every thing seems fine. But I noticed one thing, that is, when I stand right in front of or behind the car, It seems that the car is not level, or the driver's side is lower than the passenger's side. Although I am not small guy (240 lbs), I don't think just sitting on the driver's seat for 30 min per day for two weeks can cause this. Does anybody has notice the same thing? Or this is normal for the new car? Greatly appreciate your response!
  • toledo19toledo19 Member Posts: 119
    There is a recall on the 01 Avalon built in 1/01 affecting only 45 units due to the front sub-frame assembly not being welded properly. This could explain mapper1's concern about front end strut noise and vibration in exhaust? Check the NHTSA web site for info on recall.
  • laterldflaterldf Member Posts: 37
    Does anyone have any info about what new options the Avalon might have for 2002 and when it will be released? TIA later, ldf
  • bearloverbearlover Member Posts: 12
    Several of my friends and I agree that the most inexplicable thing about the current Avalon is its rearend design. Wouldn't be much to fix, just restyle the verticle portion of the trunk lid. Please someone tell me that is in the works for 2002 to "freshen up" its looks. Send the designer of the current rearend back to the Pontiac Aztek project where he/she must have come from.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi friends,

Catherine Heins is looking for people to interview who have switched from American to Japanese cars in the past few years-- especially folks who wouldn't have given a Toyota or Honda the time of day in the 1970s.

She's a business reporter at the Yomiuri Shimbun, which is the biggest daily paper in Japan with a circulation of 14 million. They are writing a feature story about Japanese automakers' continuing success in expanding production in the U.S. and snatching market share from the Big Three even on their former home turf of light trucks.

If you fit this description and are willing to be interviewed, please call her directly at 212-582-5827 or e-mail her at catheins@yahoo.com. As always, you can contact me at jfallon@edmunds.com if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com
    Could anyone please tell me roughly how much the annual maintenance costs for Avalon? I bought a prepaid maintenance program for $1000 which covers 55000 miles or 4 yrs. How do you think about it? Thanks.
    Why would maintenance costs average $250 a year. Think you should try to re-coup your money!
    Toyota guy told me that this program includes three major services at 15k, 30k and 45k and each one will cost over $400 if I pay over the counter, and plus oil change etc. every 5k. Unfortunately, I was told that I can not cancel it when I called them today. Anyway, thanks a lot for the reply.
  • mapper1mapper1 Member Posts: 11
    Re: Post#900 about the 2000 Avalon's rear suspension problems, that must be something Toyota corrected in the 2001's because my car (an XL) (though it has other problems) seems fine in the rear. I recently carried 3 adult passengers in the back seat (+ 1 in the front seat) some 200 miles roundtrip, and it ran fine; just like when I'm alone by myself. There was no noise or bottoming out.My car is so high in the rear end, there seems to be plenty of suspension travel.Maybe you can get your dealer to replace the rear coil springs with springs they use in the 2001's.
  • jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    My 63 year old mother owns a 95 Avalon with 80K miles. She bought the car new and this was our 10th Toyota since 1980.

She calls me every time she has a problem with it. The first 50K was a breeze then things started to fail. Power steering pump, drivers window, three oil leaks from different places front seal and rear, two antenna's, new drivers mirror, front passenger side suspension work (not sure what they fixed), cup holders and some other small things.

This is on top of all the scheduled maintence, timing belt, brakes and tune-up.

I cant help but entertain the idea that Toyota's American built cars have slipped in quality a little. Maybe since production is higher some quality controls have be relaxed. Possibly to meet the higher demands and quotas Toyota has set out to achieve.

If you plan on keeping the car beyond 4 years you will benefit from the extra coverage.

Total out of pocket $2,500.00 excluding scheduled repairs.
  • fredricksfredricks Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning on buying a basic 2001 xl with no options except floor mats. What's the best price you think I can get? In Aug 1999, I purchased a new 1999 XL with only floor mats as an option and, excluding taxes and tag,paid 22,500 plus a $300 handling charge. Will the prices go down as we approach October? I see ads in the newspapers for this type of car for 23,770? I am very pleased with the 1999 avalon and will be going for my 30,000 tuneup shortly.
  • thebergsthebergs Member Posts: 1
    The dealer techs could not reproduce this problem in the shop and had no advice.

Here are my tales of woe. On at least 4 occasions, recently, the A/C cuts off after a few minutes of use. To restart A/C I must pull over, turn of the engine, wait for a couple of minutes and restart engine. It usually keeps working after that. On one another occasion, the unlock switch would not work. And finally, at one time the up and down window switch didn't work.

For all of these occasions, the problem corrected itself only after the ignition was shut off. Any advise or solutions are welcome.
  • gscheil1gscheil1 Member Posts: 72
    I have a 2000 Avalon XLS and I park it in my basement garage. In many instances, it will lock its doors by itself. Very disturbing because whenever I go down to basement, the car is locked and have to go back upstairs to get remote or key.
    It very disturbing and Toyota cannot correct it. Has anyone else had this problem?
    If you unlock the doors with the remote keyless entry, they will automatically relock if not opened. If you manually un-lock they should remain unlocked. Check your owners manual.
  • joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    I have a 2001 XL. I find that, even if I manually unlock the doors after parking, and then get out of the car, and then close the drivers door, and then hit the unlock on the remote, the Avalon will automatically lock the doors after a short amount of time. I like the way the unlock/lock features work on this car.
    They're re-locking because you've un-locked with your remote!
  • donstackdonstack Member Posts: 9
    The remote is "trigger finger" sensitive. I lock/unlock the doors AND the trunk by merely walking in the house with the keys in my pocket. My wife was in the garage cleaning up, came in the house and told me my car 'beeped' at least 3 times. I walked in garage and it beeped(locked) again. left keys on table for entire weekend and NO beeps, NO locked car/unlocked trunk. The remotes for our SUV (Ford) DO NOT go off by accident.

Even though this is a distraction to the car, I do enjoy driving it, and the gas mileage is excellent and I can run it on regular gas.

Did anyone mention The AVALON was the best 'PREMIUM MIDSIZE CAR' in both 2001 and 2000 in J.D. Powers and Associates Initial Quality Study, and was ranked #5 on the 10 Most Pleasing Vehicles of 2001 by AutoPacific Marketing of ALL vehicles surveyed(www.autopacific.com - check it out, and check the competition too).

This car has a lot of accolades for only 2 years of current generation. We all paid more than a Camry and got more size, power, and amenities than a Camry. I DO NOT wish I had a LEXUS because the Avalon is the car I want. When someone takes a ride in it, there are nothing but compliments, I was away at a lakefront community(Sherkston Shores in Southern Ontario) during the Memorial Day weekend, and got many compliments about the car, a couple of people wanted to see interior and they commented it was very luxurious. The interior is constantly compared to a Lexus by anyone who sees it. ( There were Lexus, BMW's, Mercedes Benz, Volvos, Saab and a couple Corvettes in attendance at Sherkston). The MB owner said the rear styling resembled the MB!

Take time to notice all that is right with the car and remember the higher resale value associated with this car versus the competition. Seems the Avalon has a lot going for it.
    With regard to message 918 concerning my message 917. I and the dealer as well as the Customer Representatives have read the manual many times. Toyota says doors should not lock. They recently installed a new Theft Computer and thought that would take care of the problem. It didn't. I have tried not carrying the remote. Have tried hanging it on a nail in garage. Nothing solves the problem. Dealer said some smart programmer in Japan thought it would be nice to lock the car when you go to a mall, etc., and forget to lock the car. I have tried leaving driver window open but when you do that and reach in to unlock doors, security system goes off. My next fix will consist of leaving a key in ignition. Anyone else have the problem.
    I must have misunderstood your concern. So, you park your car in the basement, leave the automobile unlocked and return with the car locked? I'll have to check if mine also has a mind of it's own as to the locking. But, if you unlock with the remote, the car does lock automatically if the door is not opened within 30 seconds.
    Hi Toledo 19- I very seldom use the remote. Concerning warranty, the person who paid $1000 for warranty to 55,000 miles got took. Must have purchased one of those insurance policies. I got extended warranty to 75,000 miles for $535.00 from the dealer. Had that on my van also account the all-wheel drive. Also have it on my current RAV4 account all-wheel drive. Otherwise, I wouldn't buy it. I am now on my 17th and 18th Toyota from same dealer. Get excellent cooperation from their service dept. Also get 20% on any parts or accessories I buy. Can't beat staying with same dealer and brand.
  • heymistaheymista Member Posts: 22
    I just sold my 95' Avalon with 83k miles. What a relief! I too had the Power Steering Column problem and the power window problems along with numerous people I have talked to. You are 100% correct- My problems started at 51k miles and I have spent $5K since including cv joints and a/c compressor and so many other things I can't even remember. This car has been a major disappointment for a Toyota, and I think they know about recurring problems that everyone has experienced without recalls. I am just glad it is over. Toyota's reputation for reliability is taking a beating lately. I've gone back to Honda.
    I found there are always dust/fibers stay along the circuits on the back window inside the car. Is it due to the electrostatic attraction from the built-in antenna? Anybody saw the same thing?
  • ganjaganja Member Posts: 16
    I own an XLS and is it possible that I can fold the side mirrors in, before I park my car in the garage. I have two big/wide vehicles and it would really help if I was able to fold the mirrors. But I don't think the Avalon gives you the option. Can anyone please confirm
    Thanks
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    The Avalon mirrors are fixed and can't be folded in.
  • namitknamitk Member Posts: 1
    Hi.
    I am planning to purchase an old Avalon as my first car. Can someone advice me as to which years had serious problems in Avalon , so that I should not look for these years, also what are the best deals for 1998/1997 that anyone got.

I am planning to buy used avalon , instead of camry , is this a good decision, and how do you compare these cars.
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    If it's any consolation, we have a 2K Silverado as well as a 2K Avalon. Both have remote door/trunk locks. Both keychain controls are sensitive, in that if you pocket them and then reach into your pocket a certain way, they can sometimes activate the locks.
    The Silverado is, by far, much more sensitive. I don't mind its locks activating so much as the "panic" alarm button--drives me up the wall whenever it goes off! And it only requires the slightest touch to do so. It's getting so bad that I'm seriously considering not using it at all!
    Other than that, both vehicles are great. We really like the Avalon--and bought a Sienna recently for our daughter and son in law. They love it!
  • hoang4hoang4 Member Posts: 10
    Cliffy,
    I currently lease a 2001 XL and have had it for about 7 months (5 year lease, Ouch). How is Toyota when it comes to terminating a lease early and leasing another Toyota (probably a Lexus IS 300)? Any advice? or am I stuck....
    I just terminated a 3 year lease early on a 01 Pathfinder (only 7 months in it). As in conventional financing, there is a "payoff" on a lease. The difference between my pay off and the trade value was not pleasant, but I was so happy to get out of this SUV I just grinned and bore it.
    I never looked back, I love the Avalon so much!
  • larrys7larrys7 Member Posts: 35
    My wife was driving a 97 Suburban. Found a deal on a 98 Avalon w/43k an attorney had for sell, purchased it & she wanted another burb. Her new Yukon Denali XL has arrived. Any suggestions on where to advertise this type car on the net. That Avalon gets twice the gas milage & alot easier to get around in - oh well...
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There is no easy way out of this and no way to sugar coat the situation you are in. There are two ways to terminate a lease early. First, pay the remainder of your lease payments in advance and turn the car in. Second, call the leasing company and find out what your current payoff is. Leases have payoffs just like conventional financing. Take the car to a dealership and see what they will give you in trade. Most likely, the value will be much less than the payoff and you will have to roll this amount into the price of the new car.

Here is a hint. Never lease a car for 5 years. I lease a ton of cars, but almost never for terms beyond 36 months. Yes, the payments are less, but most people want out of it before the end of the term and they are all in a very bad position.
  • mostlyjazzmostlyjazz Member Posts: 11
    My wife and I are considering the purchase of a new 2001 Avalon.

We currently own a 1998 Volvo V70 Cross Country and find the all wheel drive to be essential here in Minnesota.

For the most part we love the Volvo. Love the comfort and safety but we are tiring of the annoying problems and frequent recalls and repairs. Also,the factory warranty is almost up.

Avalon appears to have a comfortable and roomy interior (I am 6"4") and a good saftey rating. However, I think I have been spoiled by the Volvo's all wheel drive that comes in handy during winter here in Minnesota. I would appreciate any comments from Avalon owners concerning how well the Avalon does in winter driving.

We also considered the VW Passat 4Motion wagon. They appear to be in short supply, selling for a premium over MSRP and could be another reliability risk .
  • jljlindajljlinda Member Posts: 7
    Have a 2001 Avalon XLS. Approx 14,000 miles on it. Just returned from a 2 day trip and covered 800+ miles. Several times during our trip, we drove through "dips" on the interstate, and heard the front tire(s) (usually on the drivers side) hit the strut(s). We drove within posted highway speeds (WV & OH). Only my wife and I were on board with one small overnight bag. My weight is about 170 #'s and my wife's about 135 #'s. Now my question: Are struts adjustable or must they be replaced to correct the problem? Is anyone else having any problems with their front suspension on the 2001 XLS? (Except for the suspension, we rather pleased with our choice of the Avalon. Traded a Camry on the Avalon and the Camry seemed to have a much better suspension, both front and rear, than the Avalon.) Thanks in advance for any help solving our problem.
    As I have posted earlier, there is a recall on 01 Avalons built in 1/01. Something related to the front end frame soldering. This could be the cause of your problem. Check at NHTSA.
  • sammieleesammielee Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the heads up Toledo19! Called Toyota and made sure my 01 LS was not part of the recall. Operator at Toyota was very friendly and helpful. Suggest to jljlinda that they call the Toyota 800 number to see if their car is on the list. Just go the the NHTSA web site, input your car and it will give all the info on the recall and who to contact at Toyota. It sounds,though, like Toyota is pretty much on top of things and jljlinda would have received something in the mail
  • jljlindajljlinda Member Posts: 7
    We purchased out 2001 Avalon XLS in Nov 2000. Since the recall by Toyota on the 2001 Avalon is only on those built in Jan 2001, I assume that our auto is not on the recall list. (Also, we have not received any type notice.) By looking over the tops of the front tires, I can see the marks left by the tires where they come in contact with a component of the vehicle. I believe the component is part of the strut, but, if not, it is the lower circular plate that supports the coil spring. Either way, I am concerned that it might cause a tire to blow at interstate speeds if I drive through a dip deep enough to cause extreme contact. My dealer is 75 miles from where we live and I have not given them a call yet (but plan to soon.) Just thought someone might know if struts are adjustable so that "up & down" travel could be shortened. Thanks to all.
    Anyone checkout the Japanese Toyota based websites? All vehicles there are sold under the TOYOTA nameplate (whether it is Toyota or Lexus here in North America)

The Avalon is called the Toyota Pronard and is priced at 3,800,000 yen, compare this to the ES300 which is called the Toyota Windom which is priced at 3,700,000 yen. The Pronard(Avalon) is more expensive than the Windom(ES300). Source for this info is at http://www.webcars.net/newcars-[non-permissible content removed].htm.

Some pictures at different sites show a nice navigation system mounted in the center of dash. Not even offered in US, but if it was sales would definitely be increased! See this at http://www.infolanka.com/org/ramadbk/BN2A.html Wouldn't that be nice, especially with the upgraded gages in the photo! Its different seeing the steering wheel on right side of car too.

It seems to be obvious that Toyota would never risk making a Toyota with options to make it more desirable that a Lexus in North America!

Too bad for us Avalon owners that Toyota didn't take that risk.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Thanks donstack for bringing the Pronard (from the French, "to praise or admire") to our attention. Curiously, the car is made in Georgetown, Kentucky and shipped to Japan and Korea with many of the features we Avalon owners crave. Try this link for a good review of the Pronard.

http://www.sae.org/auto mag/global view_08-00/01.htm

Does anyone know if it be possible to order an Avalon with at least the DVD-based navigation system? Or could you buy the parts (HID lights, Navigation, etc.) and have them professionally installed? Toyota has gone the multiple brand route used successfully by Proctor and Gamble, and lately, less successfully by GM. Some experts believe that multiple-brand marketing in the auto industry has become passe. Any comments/suggestions Cliffy?
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    A special edition 2002, for Jan-Mar, is being considered. The only information I have is that there will be 3 new unique colors.
  • pilot13pilot13 Member Posts: 283
    It's a derivative of the verb "Proner"--to advocate or promote. (I don't have a French keyboard and left out the circonflex over the "o") "Pronard", translated, means "One who advocates". Malheureusement, votre vocabulaire est un peu faible, mon vieux.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I noticed you can buy a 2001 Lexus ES300 with value package is less than an Avalon XLS with similar options.
    The Avalon XLS only makes sense for people who need the extra rear seat room.
    Another thanks to bwia. Did not realize PRONARD was built here. A shame they don't load em up for the good old US. I was at local dealer for oil change and asked about PRONARD, no one there even had a clue.

I also asked service manager if they could make the horn chirp when the remote locks the doors, I was told "NO". They didn't seem to do any research to come up with that answer either. It wasn't too convincing.

Anyone know of a way to have horn chirp when locking? I can't always hear the 'beep'. Also anyone know of way to make lights stay on at night AFTER you lock doors with remote? The lights stay on if you press door lock switch in the car and then slam the door.

To S852 - I am 6'4" , my son isn't too far behind me, I really do need the room in back seat.

Would have gotten the Pronard if I only knew.
  • dmac8dmac8 Member Posts: 54
    anyone willing to share recent pricing on an XL, or lease rates?

Also, am interested in why people may have chosen this car over the V6 Accord, or Maxima.

Thanks in advance.
    I should have bought an Accord or Maxima since Avalon is not really a Japanese car. The only good thing I found on Avalon is the huge rear seat. But for daily commute, you don't really care.
  • marshal1marshal1 Member Posts: 68
    I bought a 2001 XL in May at right around invoice for $26,400. That included leather and power seats, the upgraded JBL stereo, alloy wheels, wheel locks and the cargo matt set. I love the car. It has plenty of power, handles well and has more interior room than any other car in this price range. The Avalon is a quality product with excellent reliability and resale value. I have not been able to find anything wrong with this car.

I traded in a 97 Maxima for the Avalon and can tell you that the Avalon is a far superior product to the Maxima. The Maxima was a great car that I owned for four years. However, the Avalon is definitely a class up from the Maxima. The Maxima is faster and handles better, but the Avalon is more comfortable and will retain its value much better than the Maxima. It all depends on what you're looking for. I've never owned a Honda Accord, but would venture to say that the Avalon is a class up from the Accord as well. Good luck with your purchase.
    I have finally been able to ascertain why my Avalon locks its doors when I park in Basement garage. The trick is to manually press the unlock button when exiting. The car doesn't lock itself then.
    This is exactly what I said in post 918!
  • chipf3chipf3 Member Posts: 2
    My wife's 2001 Avalon had a starting problem--would crank but not start, when the outside temp was over 80 degrees F. Took the Washington DC-area dealer about 4 weeks to diagnose it to the body computer and about another 2 weeks to get the part from Toyota and make the repair. Legendary Toyota quality? How about fairytale Toyota quality!?! Toyota supposedly first told the dealer they suspected a bad batch of fuel pressure regulators, and there was something muttered about a possible recall to replace those. Naturally, the car came out of the shop with body damage. It also seems to have a shifting problem going up a gently sloping hill at about 35 mph. Stay tuned.
    Is chipf3 protected by any lemon laws in home state? 6 weeks may be the bellringer here. Information may be online with your state attorney generals office.