Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    NISMO is Nissan aftermarket. Try NISMO.
  • kctreehousekctreehouse Member Posts: 1
    2000 Sentra starts but will not stay running?
    Starts everytime, runs a couple of minutes then dies. Everything else seems fine.

Is the fuel pump in the tank?
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Just called Nissan about the recalls I found online and luckily none affect my car. Am truly happy about that!

The Sandman :)
  • cgera713cgera713 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 had the EXACT same problem as your does. I've been forced to use a portable CD player hooked to my Auxillary input to hear CDs. Annoyed to say the least. Problem arose with a regular CD for me. Would like to get an aftermarket stereo installed but with that wierd design...
  • valennievalennie Member Posts: 1
    Is there something in the manual that says there is an 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty on the 01 Nissan Sentra GXE? I have the same problem as yours but I spent more on those O2 sensors and have gone to different shops. I want to try another dealership and find out if they are going to replace mine like yours.

Thanks for the information.
  • razdigitalrazdigital Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys need your input, I am buying a Nissan Sentra 1.8s automatic with the special edition package, which has an invoice price of $15,615(according to Carsdirect). Haven't asked for their invoice report yet.

The person at the dealership told me they would let have with the walkout price of $14000. Is this a good deal or should I haggle some more? I want the cheapest price I can get for this vehicle.

BTW: there is also a $2500 cash back if you pay cash up front or a $1500 cash back if you finance. The thing is I don't know if the prices are incorporated into the price they told me of $14K; need your input please.
  • samasama Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem which was going on for a while till it finally stopped and wouldn't start again. It stopped of all places a block away from a Nissan dealer and $1,500 later the problem was solved. The check engine light was off and on intermittently and I needed a smog certificate for registration. Here's what Nissan did:
    Replace mass air flow module, strainer fuel, fuel pump assy and in my opinion a customer pump as well. This included a smog certificate. After 50 miles the check engine light came back on. I brought it back and they said it would need a catalytic converter (750.00) I did not have it done the engine light has been on for about 30,000 miles and still runs except for a sticky accelerator pedal. I'm not sure what will happen if I keep running it that way. Anyone have any ideas?
  • afgirl1028afgirl1028 Member Posts: 1
    Someone please help!!!

#1 - In Dec '04 I took my 2000 GXE into a dealership (I know... $$$) for repairs... I wanted it done WELL. Problems: acceleration in 1st gear was SLOW, real slow until I reached ~3000 RPM. The check engine light was on and the diagnostic was Low Fuel Grade. Fix: cleaned the fuel injection system of carbon build-up. That's what they did at least. I didn't notice vast improvements.

Now... acceleration is EVEN SLOWER in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd!!! Usually just after it has been sitting for a few hours. So, I took it in to a mechanic (not a dealership) and the diagnostic reads the same (c.e. light still on, never went off). Now, this mechanic is saying the fuel filter has never been changed (although I'd requested it done during oil changes... how am I to know if they did or didn't) because of the fact that the filter is IN the FUEL PUMP. Now... is this true? Because I'm about to be charged for a whole new fuel pump in order to fix this... AGAIN!!!

Since this is the worst, most pricey problem... I'll leave it at this for now. But there are 2 more problems I'll list later. Argh!!! What is wrong with my poor Nina?!?!?!? That's her name... :)

:sick:
  • belle4331belle4331 Member Posts: 3
    My 1996 Nissan Sentra will start but dies. If I keep my foot on the accelerator then the engine will run take my foot off and the engine dies. If I keep my foot on the accelerator long enough the engine will remain on. The engine will also remain on if I let the car sit for a few hours.

The last time my Sentra would not start I had it towed. My car sat on the Nissan shop lot for almost 24 hours before they looked at it. I was told they could not find anything wrong with my car.

One month later I am having the same problem. After letting my car sit for seven hours it started right up and the engine remained on.

Does anyone know what could be the problem? :confuse:

Also, my Sentra has 189,000 miles.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    It sounds to me like a bad fuel pressure regulator or a dying fuel pump. It could also be a failing distributor which is a common problem on Nissans of this vintage.
  • chubydoochubydoo Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 nissan sentra SE 2.0 with 18,000 miles and got in to a front end right side accident took the car to a body shop and when the work was done the car did not want to start . seems like this problem exist on most of this nissans because i work as an automobile electronic technitian as a surprice came to the shop another 2001 nissan sentra GXE 1.8 but this one had never been in an accident i follow most of the signals from the sensors to the computer and register OK it seems that the computer was dead for no reason the shop got a rebuilt computer from some miami company and then send the car to the dealer for reprograming so it will reconise the anty thef system it works but the car lacks acceleration and performance i pesonaly think that a recall should be call on this particular vehicle because of too much complaint on the same issue .thanks :confuse:
  • minivan561minivan561 Member Posts: 23
    Hi All,

I have a 1996 Sentra GXE with 114K miles. During moderate acceleration, the battery light goes on. During steady speeds below 55mph, the battery light stays off - but at speeds above 55mph, the battery light comes on.

With the car in park and engine running, I attached a voltmeter and got the following readings:
    1. At idle, the voltage was 13.5 V
    2. At moderate rpm's, voltage was about 13.5 V
    3. When rpms are increased and just before the battery light comes on, the voltage drops to 12.2 V. It is also 12.2 V while the battery light is on.

I checked the fuses, electrical connections, and belt tension and they all seem good.

Can an alternator fail with the above symptoms - good at low rpm's and bad at higher rpm's?

Thanks for any input.
  • illsmilezillsmilez Member Posts: 1
    Nismo is good if you want to keep your warrenty for your joint, but the parts are going to be governed. For good prices on parts check tunermarket.com, importrp.com, or 9secondracing.com. They heve some good deals. I have a 02 spec-v and all i've done is a installed an injen rd series cold air intake and a greddy evo cat-back and im running14's.
    Sounds to me like a screwy voltage regulator. You may be able to buy this separately, but most are integrated with the alternator and require the entire unit to be replaced. Either way, the alternator isn't putting out the proper voltage at higher rpms so I would suggest you go ahead and replace it. Alternators in general normally last between 110-160k so you got a decent life out of it.
  • sara7sara7 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a new 2005 1.8S Sentra and financed part of it. After signing the loan application, I realized that the cash price of the vehicle was $595 more than the agreed price. The finance manager gave me the explanation that this charge is added onto all vehicles that are financed. Something just doesn't sound right to me. I've been doing a lot of research but haven't found much information about this. Has anyone else besides me come across a similar situation?? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
  • speak1954speak1954 Member Posts: 1
    Recently while applying the brakes my car just cut off, all the engine lights came on and then my auto door locks would not work for a day or two. Prior to this while driving, my CD player would just cut out in spots, just for a second, I thought at the time it was the CD(it was a copy) Everything was back to normal, then today after driving for around 10 minutes I applied the brake to turn into a parking lot and my car cut off, all engine lights came on? I cranked it up with no problem, just freaked me out. (Note.....both times I had on the AC, Headlights, CD Player.) Ok, so I started home and the OD light came on when I applied the brakes and my CD player stopped for a second then started again.
    I read about the recall for the engine sensor, but my VIN # is not on the list.
    The only repairs I have had lately are all 4 brake pads replaced, I tried to save some money so my boyfriend did the repairs.
    Any correlation between the brakes and the engine stalling?

My car only has 26,000 miles on it, even thought it is a 2001.
    Anyone had a similar experience?
    Don't worry. Your bf didn't screw up your car. There is no correlation between the brake pads being replaced and your engine cutting off. You have some kind of electrical problem going on. Either the crankshaft sensor or the mass airflow sensor is bad, your tranny's torque converter isn't unlocking when slowing down and thus bogs the engine, or some other funky electrical problem is going on. Good luck!
  • minivan561minivan561 Member Posts: 23
    Thanks. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts over the weekend. The guy tested it and said it was only outputing 9A when about 14A was needed.

Anyway, I replaced the alternator and everything runs good. With A/C and lights on, I still got 14V across the battery terminals.
  • flasentraflasentra Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone else had a problem with their 2000 Nissan Sentra's air conditioner where it is sort of ``stuck'' in the heat mode?

The other day when I was trying to turn the a/c down while driving, I accidentally turned it too far, all the way up to heat. When I turned it back to cool, it remained stuck with the heat coming out of the vents at full force. I pulled the knob off, thinking it was broken, but it works fine, so its not a simple broken knob issue. Even with the the fan and a/c off and the dial on the coolest, heat pours out as if the heat was still on and the fan at full blast.

I have an appointment on Saturday to have it checked out but the mechanic had never heard of this happening before either. I'm just curious if anyone else has had this and what the result was? .... it's a little annoying that they will charge $89 just to look at it, and living in Florida I just can't ignore it. It would be one thing if the air was not blowing cold or the a/c failed to work, but blowing in hot air in 90 plus temps just doesn't cut it.
  • tanyagtanyag Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Sentra and the horn died slowly over the past few months. It started by becoming weak, then it would work on and off, now it doesnt work at all. I checked the fuses and they are fine. My father checked it out, but couldnt seem to find the horn under the hood! Would anyone be able to describe where it would be? Thanks!
    The temb knob controls a cable which in turn controls a heater valve. More then likely, the cable stretched or broke, thus not allowing you to shut the heater valve. It happens.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I got a 2005 1.8s with SPecial Edition package for $15500, before adding the rebates. I got the $1500 with 2% APR. They are dealing on these and the Spec Ed package is bargain. The disount from the sticker made it virtually free.
  • cc7400cc7400 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

At the beginning of May we bought a Sentra 1.8S, auto, w/o ABS.
    Last week, after about 1400 miles, my wife and I were driving on the highway
    at about 75mph; she tried to break gently reduce her speed because there was
    a slower car in front of us, when the brakes locked and the car stopped very abruptly.
    We were lucky that nobody rear-ended us. We went to the dealer, and he said there
    is nothing wrong with the brakes. Last week, my wife was driving the car on a street
    at about 30mph, when she had to break and the same thing happened. In both cases, we didn't slam the brakes, yet they locked Did anybody
    hear about such problems w/ the Sentra ?
  • mikee25478mikee25478 Member Posts: 9
    You were luckier than me, my cd got stuck and never played again. I pulled the radio out, disassembled the radio, and discovered that a spring had come loose from the top of the CD holder. That is the weird clicking noise you are hearing, the CD is trying to eject, but that spring is gone, and the holder will not pop up to release your CD. I went aftermarket and got a Pioneer supertuner, and after a few mods, got it to fit. Best bet is if its under warranty, get them to replace it, or go to ebay and get one.
    When you finance a vehicle, the finance company buys your contract from the dealer for a disounted amount.For example, if you buy a car and finance $10,000, the finance company will buy that contract from the dealer for $9,500 While these fees vary widely from state to state, dealer to dealer, and credit score to credit score, what it sounds like in your situation is that the dealer is passing that fee over and above the negotiated price. Most just bury it into the sticker price. Thats also why you can always get a better price paying cash.
    I had a 93 nissan truck that did the same thing, I am not sure if it is the same design, but if it is, the temp control lever has disconnected from the cable. If you remove the control panel from your dashboard enough to get behind it, you should be able to reconnect the cable. If you had the same problem i did, it was stuck, you pulled really, really hard, and then it moved easier than it ever had. If thats the case, its just a matter of popping that cable back on. I think it took about 10 minutes, and all i needed once i got behind the control panel was a pair of pliers to reconnect the cable. I just never took the heat all the way over after that, and it never was an issue again.

By the way, on my truck it was a Horizontal control panel, not a clockwise panel.
    Hope that helped
  • j2thomasj2thomas Member Posts: 25
    TomCat, We just bought the 1.8 S, with the Special package, auto, sun roof, ABS, side airbags, mats, filter and mudflaps for an out the door price of $15,500, ($250 over invoice - $2500 rebate + 7% tax, 32.50 title and registraction). One of the easiest purchases we've ever made. The sticker was $18090.
  • smokedhensmokedhen Member Posts: 13
    hi,
    AHHHHHMy key is stuck in the ignition. What can I do to take the key out? please help out this newbie!
  • famfamfamfam Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2001 Sentra, basic model, with about 53K miles. My husband has had at least 4 flat tires, 3 of which were in the same location (driver side, rear tire). He's not a particularly hard driver, has tires rotated, etc., so it seems rather "coincidental" (?) that he has had 3 in the same location - at least 2 of which started with steering vibration, especially when braking, but the tires appeared fine. Has anyone else had similar problems?
    Thanks Ingtonge18! I took the car back to the mechanic and he said I had a bad build up of carbon deposits. He suggested an induction and intake flush. The car runs better since I had the flush. :)
    I fix one problem and another one appears. Now my air conditioning and my car will not run at the same time. When I turn on the air conditioning on the lowest setting and drive for five minutes or so and stop at a light my car starts shaking like it is about to cut out. I've always turned off the air and the car would stop shaking. Today I wanted to see if it would cut off and it did. Help? :cry:
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We've had no a/c for the past 1 1/2 weeks basically. It works weakly in the morning and when the sun goes down, but only hot air during the daytime. Nissan said the part we need is on back order. A very nice car that has nickled and dimed us this past year. Hopefully tomorrow, our new Mazda3 s will get to the dealership and we'll say a goodbye to our '01 Altima GXE Ltd. Edition. We really did like our Alty, but with 80k miles fast approaching, it's just not running properly. The Mazda is nice, but our Alty really is the perfect car for us...when it's working.
    It's been a nice 4 1/2 year run, but it's time to move on. Hope everyone has better luck than we did. Good luck guys...we're zoom zooming outta here!

The Sandman :sick:
  • 2001sentrase2001sentrase Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. I came across looking for help. My 2001 Sentra SE (2000cc, 5speed) has a problem. Service engine soon light come on about a week ago, I then put a chevron injection cleaner in the tank, Vpower from shell and went to milwaukee from chicago and after I got back in the car, the light went off. It came back the next day. Today I drove on highway again for short period of time, it went off again. I'm sure by the time I get home tonight, it will be back on. What can cause this to happen? There is no changes in driving performance. Thank you.
  • teecee1teecee1 Member Posts: 4
    I have a similar problem with my Sentra....About every 10th time I go to start it, it just won't start...No sounds, no clicks, nothing...It is not the starter, or the battery, or fuses...If I push it forward (doesn't work backwards) about 10-15 feet and put it back in "park" and try again, it usually starts....It has been in the shop a number of times and the mechanic cannot figure it out....any suggestions?
    If anyone is having an oil stick/dipstick problem with their Sentra, go to www.broomeman.com and search for the Sentra. There are pages and pages of feedback and great suggestions for remedying the problem. I used the crazy glue on the pencil solution, it worked perfectly and saved about $200.
    I hate my Nissan Sentra too!!! The car is a repair nightmare....but on a more positive note, if you are still having problems with your gas pedal sticking, have the throttle plate cleaned every few oil changes and that should resolve it. It has for me. Good luck.....
  • dhakimdhakim Member Posts: 1
    Randomly my AC/Heat knob only functions on the highest level (4). This means I can only have the AC or heat blasting and cannot have it on any other setting, as they all are the same as being "off". Any suggestions? I'm either freezing or sweating!
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Check the neutral safety switch.
    Thanks!!!!
  • blueyes825blueyes825 Member Posts: 6
    i'm a teenager, looking for a car. i want to be able to "fix it up" i'm into the street racing style and i thought of getting a used sentra. i'm thinkin about the 96-98 years. should i keep on with this or am i just wasting my time thinking about it???
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might also want to stop by our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board and see what's happening there.
    i used to have a 91 maxima, one day it just stopped working, worst of all, it was prom night, haha. i mean, the car will turn on, but it wont go anywhere, the engine is running, but its just spinning. i've had lots of trouble with it. noone really knows what it is and why its doin it...also the flex pipe on it was busted, not like it had a crack or a lil hole, it was BUSTED, so it sounded like a big truck (i was willing to bet it was louder than an 18 wheeler), only 1 window worked, the power locks didnt work. everything just kinda died on me, but i loved makin a fool of myself in it, just cuz it didnt bother me that my car was a huge piece of junk...although i must say, i had a ver very nice all out pioneer sound-system in it!!!!! :shades:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That really doesn't have anything to do with the Sentra ... did you look at the board I suggested for you?
  • meshbahmeshbah Member Posts: 1
    My Sentra ('96, 115K Km) is making some noise. One mechanic told me that the noise was due to loose belts (alternator...) the other told me that the noise was due to timing chain problem and it needs to be replaced. Is there a quick way (remember I'm not a mechanic) to identify timing chain problem?
    is your car a manual or auto.? whats the sound like?
    it could possibly be any of your belts depending on the sound. when does it happen, like does it happen when you do a sertain thing?
  • hambihambi Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem. The dipstick has just broken off the lid and the measuring stick has dropped into the cylinder. Any suggestions of how I can pull it out. I tried with large forceps but could not get a hold of it. Do I need to take it to the dealers?
  • alphamanalphaman Member Posts: 2
    The problem to ur solution would be A: Get a pencil that's not sharpen put super glue on the tip stick it to the dip stick and wait for it to dry then pull it out.
    B: Go to the nearest car wash pay 75 cent to use th vaccum and suck it right out.">
  • alphamanalphaman Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE hums, they say it's the alternator going out but I don't.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    I would have liked ABS, but I can't fit in a sunroofed car. I'd have to get a mid size if I want a sunroof and I dont want one at all.

Anyway, only bug is that the fog lights don't turn on, but I just don't have time to take it in. Dealer service is day only, and I work days like most of the world.

Other than that it's fine, gets the EPA mileage range of 28-32 and has enough power to get past semi-trucks and slowpokes in traffic. I don't care that it's not an "all new" design nor a rocket ship. It's 127 hp is what was called a "powerful" four banger in 1991. A 2.5L is more $ for gas, insurance, and payment.
  • galloverdegalloverde Member Posts: 1
    it seems to me that everyone has the same problem with the "service engine check"( when the light it's on).
    my case it's as follows:
    last saturday my mom trried to go to another city. from san diego to within the border of calexico. she used my car( the one with the title). half way the car automatically stop( it turned off by itself), and the temperature of the car went up( not until the top point, but more of the normal temperature). my mom could not start the car until a few minutes later( the famous check engine light turned on). she had to came back home. now when i took it to the mechanic on monday( did not move it for the weekend), he said that it was probably because i did not make the service for the car on time( tune up). he did all the service and all check the termostat( it was all creacky, burned). the light was off again and everything looked perfect.Now, yesterday my mom used the car again and before she entered the freeway, the check engine light turned on again and the car again turned off by it self , "again". i try to take the car with the mechanic this morning but he wasnot there, i am going to take tomorrow morning. now , this morning when i took the car to the mechanic, i wait a few minutes to let the car warm before going with the specialist. while parked , i felt like little jumping from the car( only when it's in parking shift, forgot my car is automatic).
    another thing is that the stereo light( the one where you can see the station or the time)sometime it's on and sometimes it's off.

1)my question is , can this be one reason why the car it's stoping sometimes in the middle of nowhere(n the stereo light)
    2)i also thought about the jumping thing from the car(only when it's in parking); does this mean i need to send it to a fuel injection cleaner( another mechanic i guess)

please some help? it will be very helfull to hear a second opinion from you guys before speding major quantities of money in thing that will probably won't need of would just leave the car in the same way it's right now.
    see ya.