Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    nevilleqnevilleq Member Posts: 1
    Same problem with my horn. Finally went to the dealer today where I was told that if it's not a fuse (it's not) then it's a wiring insulation problem (common and known to Nissan). When the mechanic checked it out today, he discovered that someone else had tried to rewire it but hadn't done it properly. So the previous owner also had a problem and tried to fix this. Hunh!

There are lots of complaints about this on carsurvey.org. So why do I have to pay for this? Guess it's the same rationale as the broken dipstick.
  • Options
    mauriciovmauriciov Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I had exactly the same problem with my 2002 gxe sentra. The car stalled few times suddenly while I was driving but after many attempts I managed to turn it on again -- Note, I was aware of the recalls as I was informed by mail and got the car serviced--- However, after the stalling I took the car to the dealership to be checked and they did not found "anything wrong" and they could not get the car to stall. They suggested a tune-up and complete fuel injection service and charge $700 for it. A week later my car did not start at all and for no reason. So too it back to the dealer, and they found after 2 days of checking that the ECU had to be replaced...which at least it is covered under the 5 year warranty. But, It piss me off I had to pay for the first time I took the car and follow their stupid and "wise" diagnosis.
    Greetings from NY.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    It's at Nissan now for the 5th time with the Service Engine light on. 3 year warranty runs out on May 29th, so I hope they finally fix it this time. Will probaly trade the car in the fall eventhough it's only got 28,650 on the odo, need a more comfortable car for my injured spine. The car's still very tight...almost like new. Time to unload it from the herd.

The Sandman :sick:
  • Options
    alanroundheadalanroundhead Member Posts: 1
    my water pump is shot . i have a nissan sentra se-r 2.0 Litre ; engine ( SR20DE ). Does anyone have an order of operations as to give myself the most space to work with . Oh so little space to access the pump . Looks like if i remove the crankshaft pulley that will give me a little space . Will I eventually have to remove a motor mount and lower the engine a bit ? Looks like I'm going to lower it onto front wheel axles if I drop it too much .
    Looks like not too much . Any advice if lowering is best option + what else might i watch out for as far as damaging when lowering ?? any advice would greatly be appreciated . sorry for sounding so helpless.
    alanroundhead
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Had the car less than 30 hours and the service light reappeared after Nissan replaced the MAF sensor. In for the 6th time now. This is getting old already!
    I think it'll be gone before july 4th.

The Sandman :mad:
  • Options
    amilivamiliv Member Posts: 23
    After my car ('93 Sentra) was sitting in garage for 3 weeks, the brakes seemed to be stuck. When I moved gear lever from "P" to either "R" or "D", the car simply wouldn't move. It looked like the brakes were stuck. After pressing on accelerator pedal a few times, the car finally moved (with loud "bang" sound from the wheels). It looks like the brekes are working now, but I'm kind of concerned is there a possibility something was damaged in the process of getting brakes unstuck forcefully. I'm planning to get the brakes checked out by mechanic, however also wanted to ask couple of questions about this on the forum. Anybody had any similar experience? Should I expect the same problem each time I'm not using the car for several weeks? Is there some better way to unstuck the brakes other than forcing it? Anything I can do before leaving car parked for extended periods of time (several weeks or more) to avoid the problem from repeating? Anything I can do to check if something is damaged?
  • Options
    amilivamiliv Member Posts: 23
    Small typo in my previous post. It's 03 sentra (not 93).
  • Options
    dlbest23dlbest23 Member Posts: 2
    has anybody had a problem with their car taking 'forever' to start. after it's been running for awhile and then i turn it off, like to go into a store, when i come out, it takes four or five seconds for it to start up and then it sounds like crap when it finally turns over.

also...and perhaps moreimportantly about an hour ago, it died while driving and it won't start...anybody????
  • Options
    coffmlucoffmlu Member Posts: 20
    My brakes seem to get "stuck" also. I have an 04 sentra 2.5S and notice more after it rains. I take off the emergency brake, put it in reverse and it make a sudden noise like it was stuck, then continues to make noises until I put it in drive. This always happens when the brakes are about to go out in my car. It has 50,000 miles and I've had the brakes replace about 5 times and the rotors replaced twice. I don't ride the brakes and I'm very careful with them now, but they still keep going out. I just noticed it again today and it's only been 4,400 since I had them replaced.
  • Options
    scully1979scully1979 Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace the alternator on my 1993 Sentra. Can anyone offer some instruction for a do-it-yourselfer? Thanks in advance for any responses!
  • Options
    tkingstkings Member Posts: 1
    Hey, do you know how to get to the resistor? Is it behind the controller? How much is the resistor? Thank you very much!
  • Options
    rimartinez1rimartinez1 Member Posts: 4
    Can anybody point me to a good link on how to change the brake pads on my 1998 nissan sentra?

I've had the car since brand new - it now has 88K miles on it. not a bad car, not a "great" car. one thing I've always had problems with is irregular wear on the brake pads as well as the front wheels. any thoughts, ideas, and just input in general? thanks!
  • Options
    c2rosac2rosa Member Posts: 76
    NISSAN RECALLS NEARLY 100,000 VEHICLES .... According to Edmund's Inside Line, Nissan has recalled 96,800 2006 Altimas and Sentra SE-Rs because of a risk of engine fire.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said that the 2.5-liter engines in the cars "may experience excessive oil consumption as a result of improper performance of the piston rings," a condition that could lead to an engine fire.NHTSA said if engine oil is not maintained at least at minimum levels, engine damage is likely and a fire is possible.

Owners can contact Nissan at (800) 647-7261 or NHTSA at (800) 424-9153.
  • Options
    rwmoore001rwmoore001 Member Posts: 2
    I need instructions on how to replace my Blower fan. It was making a terrible sound for a while, probably the bearings and it has finally gone. It's 100 degrees in Virginia right now and I need to replace it badly. Can some one walk me through it?

Thanks
  • Options
    specv02specv02 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Spec V that I also have had starting and restarting problems for several years now. This weekend it left us a $200 tow bill to get it back to the dealership of purchase and of course, they cannot duplicate the problem because it starts up just fine now. No codes are coming up. However, another forum message suggested you MUST follow the 3-second on-position rule due to fuel injector design! Guess I will try that. Another suggestion has been the crankcam sensor and/or fuel pump. However, why didnt the sensor trigger a code? I always felt it was a heat related issue. Hmmmmm
  • Options
    rwmoore001rwmoore001 Member Posts: 2
    In case anyone else has this same problem, I fixed it this past weekend. It was REALLY easy. All you have to do is remove the glove compartment. Once you get it out you will see two Phillips head screws facing you on the bottom of the glove compartment frame, remove these two screws and you can take out the blower fan cover. Then you remove the three screw holding the fan in and it will drop down, unplug it and install the new one in reverse order.
  • Options
    framelessframeless Member Posts: 5
    i took my daughter's 2001 sentra for a yearly inspection and the mechanic told me the power steering fluid needed to be changed. the car has about 44,000 miles on it. does this sound legitimate?
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    More important to change the brake fluid than the power steering fluid. Brake fluid is hygroscopic. Typical recommended change interval is every 2 years or 24,000 miles. My personal recommendation is to change it every 3 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. Synthetic fluid is best.

quote recommended interval for power steering fluid change-
    Power steering fluid of the "long-life" variety should be changed every five years or 100,000 miles. For conventional fluid, the interval is every three years or 50,000 miles. Most likely, the fluid will appear normal at this point—either amber (on most vehicles) or pink/red in color. This is good, as no serious problems are indicated. -end

I agree with the above quoted interval.

Legitamate? Yes, if you want the vehicle to last for a very long time and IF the cost for the service is reasonable.
  • Options
    darboodarboo Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I'm a new college grad getting my first car. I wanted to know if anyone bought the 1.8S SE and what they paid for it. Also is the 1% APR offer legit??
  • Options
    navygz19navygz19 Member Posts: 6
    It's your fuel pump...they are notoriously terrible on the 2.5's. Anybody I have ever known with one has the same issue (i did as well, but I got rid of my POS Spec-V and bought a Pathfinder) There is no need to have to follow a 3 second rule (though I also did) There are also a few TSB's on this issue that should be able t be viewed at http://www.nissanhelp.com. There you should be able to fond any and all TSB's and recalls up to date. Cheers :shades:
  • Options
    ahqahq Member Posts: 37
    Hiya! I drive a 2002 Sentra GXE with 53.7K miles. I've had it since new, i.e. almost four years. A couple of weeks ago, the darn thing wouldn't start, so I had it towed to the dealer. It turns out there were three recalls that had to be dealt with: ECM replacement, ECM foam insulation replacement, and crankshaft sensor replacement.

All is good now, and fortunately I didn't have to pay anything, aside from the towing cost. I hope the car remains trouble-free at this point, since I was planning on buying the car at the end of its lease later this month and holding onto it for another few years. I haven't had any other issues with the car, so I'm hoping that I'm making the right decision!
  • Options
    My car came with Bridgestone B381 tires, which weren't bad. I replaced them at around 45K miles with a set of BF Goodrich Traction T/As last November, although I made the mistake of going with the H-rated version, since the T-rated version was out of stock. The ride on Wisconsin roads is almost unbearable, so I'm probably going to replace the H-rated Traction T/As with a different tire. Any recommendations? Would it be acceptable to "downgrade" to an S-rated tire to gain a smoother ride?
  • Options
    FYI I bought a set of Michelin Harmony tires this morning. Very quiet and much better at cushioning impacts than the Traction T/As. They're supposed to be pretty good in the snow, too. We'll see in a few months!
  • Options
    bobincalifbobincalif Member Posts: 5
    I have been using Michelin tires for over 30 year's. They are getting a little pricey, but you get for what you pay for. They have been the best tires I have ever used!!! You won't be disapointed.

...Bob in Calif...
  • Options
    benduprebendupre Member Posts: 121
    anyone ad a look at the new Sentra yet? It's on the nissan site now under "Future Vehicles"

Ben.
  • Options
    timberjack1timberjack1 Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Nissan Sentra Electric Window on drivers side sometimes sticks and has to have a little manual help to raise all the way with a few crunching noises inside the door panel. Another window won't come up at all. Wanted to know if anyone knows how to avoid a $240/window (dealer quote for new regulator assembly) repair as several windows may need the same repair. I'm told that it may be as simple as a 10 cent plastic gear stripped out. Please tell me where I can access parts (non Nissan) and/or repair shortcuts. Also where can I learn how these window systems work or a pictorial of the window assembly, so I can do my own repairs? I know how to get into the window assembly, but my view is obscured by the inside steel door frame and I'm not familiar with this system which apprears to use an electric motor/wench and separate cables for up and down movement. Look forward to helping others with questions on the Sentras as I have two identical cars and 5 years background with the 2001 Sentra. With the potential of 6 more doors needing repair in the future, this could cost a fortune to pay a dealer or body shop to do these repairs, so I must learn how to handle this myself. I don't want to go to the Auto Salvage Yard, as the part I buy to replace may be as worn as the one I'm junking! Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I had similar problem with my 2001 Sentra last year. The Window would not come up without manual help. I took door panel off and lubricates all pulleys and cables for the window. It helped and I did not have this problem again so far.
    You may have a different problem but it is easy to start with the simple things.

Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks lgoldin! I'll try that on the noisy one that still works. Can you give me any input on the one that's quit and needs a new regulator (a fancy name for a cable system)?
  • Options
    thecazthecaz Member Posts: 1
    First the passenger's front door window wouldn't go up. Then within a week the driver's side wouldn't go up. The only way to get the window up was to make it go up and down while pushing at the same time. I actually wondered if there was some kind of timer on these electrical switches. I just think that it is odd that both of my front door windows broke almost at the same time. For now we just don't open the windows. But, not opening the windows can cause problems--when I have to pay a toll or when I pull up to a drive thru window to pick up food. Best of all, when you are trying to tell the officer that you can't open your window unless he helps you close it.

Anyhow, I am going to try to fix this myself with all the suggestions that I can get.

Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    Yes, when an electric window starts making those wiry moaning, sluggish sounds during up and down operation, the days are numbered. The assembly cost $79.75 inlcuding tax down here in Hattiesburg, MS at Petro Nissan. I bought it and installed it in about 1.5 hours as I made all the wrong moves when removing and re-installing, but I saved my self over $150.00 labor. I believe I can install the next one in 20 minutes flat as its real simple once you've done it(14 screws and/or bolts have to be removed to take the inside door assembly and all the parts off including the 3 holding the electric motor which has to be transfered to the new assembly). I'm assuming that your motor is still good, becuause the parts man said it cost over $300. I guess it could save a lot of money if they all have to be replaced every 5 years. My car has 150,000 miles on it now. You will need 2 different size phillip screw drivers, an 8" cresent wrench, and a regular screwdriver. I greased the actual window tracks with vaseline, but the new assembly comes coated with a sticky grease. Down here in MS it unlawful to operate a vehicle unless the drivers window will come down, and the inspectors will not issue a safety inspection sticker for the car if they check and the window won't let up and down. Holler if I can help you with any details as I've got the diagram here in front of me showing how it all works. Success and savings!!! Timberjack1
  • Options
    shuttsshutts Member Posts: 1
    Has any one had any problem with the first three fan speeds. I have only one speed working and it is the very high speed. The first 3 speeds just stopped working about 2 weeks ago. Why?? Someone said it was just a resistor, but I don't know where it is and how to replace it. Since I bought this car all my problems have been electrical. ist it was the horn, next it was the power windows and now it is the fan speed. Any help or suggestions?
  • Options
    cartalk4cartalk4 Member Posts: 1
    My airflow meter sensor needs replaced also. The dealer is trying to take you for a ride at $900....the part can be purchased on ebay for 121 shipping and all, over various websites for 150-200 and should cost around $300, $350 at most labor included. I have noticed a decrease in performance and decline in gas mileage. From what I understand, it only takes about 5 or 10 minutes to replace the part. I would get a second quote. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • Options
    rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    If anybody cares the nissan sentra goes on sale today. Pricing and options is up on nissannews.com
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I don't know if many people care. There's a dedicated discussion for the 2007 Sentra in Town Hall, and there hadn't been a post for over five weeks before I put one in there tonight. Seems odd for one of the newest compact (actually low-end midsized) sedans, with a nice blend of room and features. :surprise:
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This discussion has been reopened in accordance with this post: Sylvia, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #3319, 12 Nov 2006 2:43 pm. :)
  • Options
    sopmansopman Member Posts: 46
    I'm thinking about buying a new 2007 2.0 S 4dr Sedan. Does anyone know of any problems that they are having with this car?
    What is a good prices?
    Edmunds says: $18,855
    Invoice says: $17,433

Thanks
    Sopman
  • Options
    budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    So I was looking in my owners manual and I see that my Sentra only has 2.8 quarts of oil?

I'm also thinking about extending the oil change intervals to somewhere between 7-10k miles, I'm not sure which would be a better oil Mobile 1 (10W-30?) Synthetic or Mobile extended 7500 (something like that).

I'm thinking that 10k might be a bit much for the oil filter but I would imagine that a good quality oil should last substantially longer than the cheap stuff that they use at the "quick lube" places.

Your thoughts and comments are welcome...

Tom
  • Options
    Anyone have the OEM Sirius installed in their '05 or '06 Sentra's?

Are you satisfied with it's performance?
  • Options
    7500 mile interval on full synthetic is the service interval I use for my Sentra.

With the small oil capacity on the QG18DE it seemed unwise to go with 10,000 mile intervals.

With only 3 qts. the oil is inexpensive even when using synthetic. :)
  • Options
    budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    Yeah I was leaning towards the upper limits of the manufactures recommendations also.
  • Options
    petersmithpetersmith Member Posts: 1
    I have an old Nissan Sentra 1.6 XE/SE 2dr. The Sun Visor on driver side is damaged.
    I have checked on internet and could not find a seller.
    Does anyone know where I can buy one (either used or new)?

Thank you very much in advance!

Peter
  • Options
    bruuklinbruuklin Member Posts: 29
    How can I prepare my 1997 Sentra for its first New Jersey winter? We just moved here, and I don't know what I need to be most concerned with. Do people still buy snow tires? What parts are most affected by cold weather? I know I'm late in the game, but would welcome any insights. How does this car do in winter conditions? I'm honestly worried about driving it. I've never driven in winter weather, and this car has about as much power as a go-kart.
  • Options
    rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    having as much power as a go-kart is a very good thing while driving in snow. Driving the sentra in the winter should not be trouble if you take it easy.
  • Options
    maluheartmaluheart Member Posts: 1
    which years were recalled ?? I just had my car towed because it wasnt starting and the mechanic is saying its due to a computer failure and I have to replace it. I never got any information on any recalls..
  • Options
    dlbest23dlbest23 Member Posts: 2
    hey, my 02 sentra had the exact same problem. it started dying on the highway and on the street and finally wouldn't start. i had a mechanic look at it and he charged me $500 for a mass-air flow sensor and the problem didn't go away. it turns out, the car totally needs to be taken to a dealer. it is a problem with the lining around the computer and a cam sensor in the engine. both were recalls (don't fret, i didn't receive any word either) and nissan fixed them both totally for free and the car has run perfect since (the warranty period was up and they still fixed them for free). i had a great experience with the dealer, surprisingly enough. they will help you. even if you were to just call them they should know exactly what is wrong and help you.
  • Options
    dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Winters in NJ are normally not too bad. The northern part near the mountains is worst then the shore area. there has been the occasional bad winter with 60+ inches of snow but normally only get a few storms a year (20 inches). hardly worth it to get dedicated snow tires. Just make sure you have good tread on your tires.

I would invest in winter wiper blades and the winter blend of washer fluid. You may also want to get "Dry Gas". Although water in the gas tank is a thing of the past, I do pour an occasional bottle into the tank during winter months. Keep a blanket, jumper cable, collapsible shovel and brush in the trunk.

Generally speaking, nobody drives well in the snow so if they are calling for a big storm, stay home if you can.
  • Options
    tquintquin Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the codes for the ECU and the 02 sensor are the same? I just had my 02 sensor replaced and now the dealership is telling me that the ECU needs to be replaced and keep in mind that i just had the sensor replaced just 3 days before they gave me the ECU diagnosis. Also, they are charging me for everything which in total will be $1310.
  • Options
    rasldaslrasldasl Member Posts: 74
    My new Sentra has a developed a nearly contstant rattle in the passenger side B pillar on rough roads and bumps (which constitutes nearly all roads here in New Jersey). The driver's side is starting to rattle a bit, too. The mechanic at the dealer looked at it and said he pulled off the cover of the seat belt adjuster (not sure exactly which piece he meant) and did not find anything loose. We went on a test drive and while it rattled a bit over hard bumps it was pretty quiet and I thought maybe he had fixed it just by removing and replacing whatever cover it was. Then I drove home and on the way it started back with it's old tricks, rattling over every joint in the concrete pavement. Anybody out there have any ideas?
  • Options
    bobincalifbobincalif Member Posts: 5
    The "ECU" is the electronic Control Unit,(the computer.) The 02 sensor is the "Oxygen sensor", which is located on the exhaust manifold. The ECU is located at one of several locations inside your car, like under the dash, under one of the front seats, or under the floor shift console. You didn't give a year and model, so I had to generalize.

...Bob...
  • Options
    dado3dado3 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like some help in troubleshooting a problem with the cruise control on my car. It's a 1994 Sentra XE 1.6 liter, with 200k. The switch responds, but the cruise doesn't activate from the steering wheel. I checked the fuse panel and everything seems alright, but don't know where else to go.