Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• rberusrberus Member Posts: 25
    Re your key problem witht the key and ignition, I had the same problem before mine even got off the lot.

The fix was an adjustment to the shifter/ignition cable interlock.
  • tjsentjsen Member Posts: 9
    I just tried to put on my factory Sentra Nose Mask and ripped the hood piece. The stretch hooks attached to each end are not even close to being long enough. The holes in the hood are way too far away for proper attachment. Has anyone else heard of this problem??
  • chilehead100chilehead100 Member Posts: 4
    And had to leave it sitting out in the sun (in the Texas heat) for a while before installing. It was still a bit difficult to install but I was finally succesful. It's easier to re-install once it's been on the car for a while. If it's cold where you live, that could make it difficult to impossible install.
  • happyman1happyman1 Member Posts: 23
    I feel the same as mdsanch on the speakers. That rear subwoofer doesn't do much and neither do the rear speakers. Although the front speakers are great. I put in a Fosgate sub and an Orion amp about a month ago, but now its hard to hear the music itself. I may have to get either new speakers or get a separate amp for my speakers themselves (maybe both).
  • happyman1happyman1 Member Posts: 23
    Do you remember where you saw those gold plated emblems? I have been searching and I can't come up with anything. I would appreciate your help.
  • bigsmoothbigsmooth Member Posts: 14
    How does the nose mask look on your Sentras once you get it on (and what color do you have)? Is it good quality?
  • chilehead100chilehead100 Member Posts: 4
    Since both my car and the nose mask are black, it's not very noticeable. I didn't by mine for appearance though. I just got tired of all the paint chips I was getting. IMO it looks pretty nice though, and seems to be made of quality materials.
    ..with granite? ;)
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    Man, our Nova stories are too close. Ours was registered to my wife also. For some reason she always drove the new van registered in my name. ( Yes, dear ) The muffler stuff is so true! I had to put a new one on every 24-28 months up here in NY. Ours simply ran out of body to repair. While it sounds like yours was having a great deal of mechanical problems at the end.

We took a picture of it with our children and the wife and I before sending it off. The picture hangs in our family room. It was just that kind of car.

I must admit however, after 4 months of driving my 00 Protege' ES 5-Speed I don't miss the driving experience of the Nova. You know, wait for the down hill section, floor it, hold your breath and pray!

Regards,
    Mark :)
  • petrosjbpetrosjb Member Posts: 5
    Well its a long story but I finally got my 2001 Nissan Sentra.

2001 Nissan Sentra SE - Granite
    *SE Perf. Package
    *5 speed Manual
    *Power Sunroof
    *Floor Mats
    *Side-Impact Air Bags/ABS
    *Sunroof wind deflector
    *In-Cabin Microfilter
    *Nose Mask

Price with Destination Charge
    $17,090

I also went ahead and extended the service contract out to 5yrs/100k.

As far as stereo upgrades: I have to agree with sentrafan. I had a pretty lousy stereo system in my Hyundai Excel so I'm rather happy with the Sentra's stereo/CD. However the changes you folks are talking about sound really good. It certainly will be info I may come back to if I decide to upgrade later.

Nose Mask: I didn't wait to let the dealer install the nose mask so I had to put it on myself. I had a 1993 Saturn SL2 before and it had a nose mask also. I also had difficulty in installing the nose mask on my Sentra, but I agree that leaving in the sun for a while does wonders. After the nose mask and the front of the car was warm from the sun, it was less difficult(but still tight) to install. My complaint with the nose mask is the two clips located in the front center by the license plate holder(for those that need one; I'm in MD). Once you get all of the other clips in place these two clips are very loose and do not stay clipped toe the body. I didn't notice if they rattled against the front or nick the body, but it made me mad that i couldn't tighten the mask around the plate holder like the rest of the places.
    Tjsen- I didn't have any difficulties with the hood part of the mask, although I did note it was very tight and I'm sure I could have broke it.
    Bigsmooth- I think the nose mask looks good on the Sentra. I'm not sure it's as nice a fit as my Saturn was, but it still is a good fit, well made with good material, and IMHO it looks very sharp on the Granite color. If your still not sure I could send you a picture of mine with it on the car. Let me know.

Sunroof: Jv1701- I haven't had any probelms with my sunroof smearing and I have to be honest with you I just wiped it with a damp cloth. I believe the glass for the sunroof has a material on it to shade the sun much like the back window(little bumps). This may be why you're getting streaks on the glass when you use a cleaner of some sort. Just a guess.

I am truly enjoying every bit of my driving experience with my new Sentra. Last weekend I drove it to State College, PA from Annapolis, MD an thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Certainly a huge difference from my old Hyundai Excel.

Enjoy!
    Peter
    If you could post a pic of your car or e-mail it to me, that would be awesome! I hope it's not a big hassle. I am going to be making a LONG (cross-country) drive soon and I am really considering a nose mask in order to protect my paint. If it looks good on the car, I would keep in on more of the time and I wouldn't feel so bad about spending the $$$. :)
    Also, Peter, when I bought my Sentra, I was driving an '89 Hyundai Sonata... so I know how it feels to upgrade like that. Congratulations!
  • tjsentjsen Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for your help. When I tried to put the nose mask on, it was was about 50 F. I guess that explains it. That is a little shy of the probably 150 F in the Texas sun.
  • starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    I better make this the last Nova post or we will get in trouble. Actually it was my 86 Ford Tempo that kept breaking. Every other month it went to the shop. I know I funded that guys kids college ed. That's why we kept the bare bones Nova instead of the Tempo with more ammenities. That dang Nova never broke(other than their mufflers) that's why I was stuck with it for so long. It's kind of ironic since Nova in spanish means "Doesn't Go!" They had to change the name to sell in those countries! The good news is we are both in a whole lot better shape with our mode of transportation now, but Long Live the Nova just so long as someone else is driving it! :)
    Interesting screen name. Are you a pilot too?
    I have seen some black sentra GXE's with the black Nose masks and I think they look pretty tough. I was considering one myself. Are you supposed to take them off to wash the car each week or can they stay on until its time to wax the car?

Also I noticed I didn't get a gas cap holder either. Is that really something Nissan doesn't include! How much are they?
  • glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    Your right, no more Nova stories in the Sentra topic. I just get carried away.

Yes, I'm a private pilot. VFR only. I time share on a C-172 at a small aerodrome up here in Central, NY. ( real pilots fly off grass.) I log approximately 100 hrs annually. So, it's really recreational only. Too many children storing acorns for their college experience to take flying to the next level.

Regards,
    Mark. :)
  • hopesewhopesew Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of purchasing a 2001 Nissan
    Sentra. Does anyone know if Nissan currently has a
    student cash incentive regionally or nationally. I
    didn't see it on the edmunds list of rebates - but
    a dealer told me today that if I am a student
    taking 6 hrs or more, I can get $500 cash back or
    added into my "deal" or something. I cannot find
    any info on internet about this program. Last week,
    I got another dealership to agree to 2% below
    invoice price + destination + 300 marketing
    adjustment, which seems great. I was ready to
    finalize that deal on Monday. But I don't know if I
    should start dickering now with the 2nd dealership
    that is offering the $500. If it's a regional or
    national thing...then I ought to be able to get it
    at the first dealership too. Please help anyone.
  • sentrafansentrafan Member Posts: 40
    Starchecker,

I have the nose mask and really like it. I'm convinced it protected my car a few weeks ago when I got behind a truck dropping pebbles all over the freeway. Three places on the front of my car took the brunt of some of those rocks -- I'll have to get some touchup paint to fix the damage to the paint. But, of course, the area covered by the nose mask had no damage. You definitely want to remove it each time you wash your car, otherwise dirt and mold can accumulate between the mask and the hood. For mostly convenience sake, I only put on the part that goes on the hood, which I think looks pretty good as well.

To my knowledge, no Sentras have shipped with the gas cap holder, although the owner's manual supposedly mentions its existence. I've read that the Altima's cap holder will fit the Sentra, though I haven't priced one yet. Personally, I think Nissan should foot the bill.
  • sloanesqsloanesq Member Posts: 60
    I've had my Sentra GXE for about 2.5k miles now and am very happy except for one thing.... When driving fast (and sometimes even when not so fast)and when I hit a pronounced bump (like a frost heave), which unfortunately are not uncommon on NYC highways, the rear end of the car feels like it is fishtailing. Would a sway bar help solve this problem? Any suggestions?
    Remember my New Sentra purchase story where it had the deep scratch on the hood. Well they buffed it out by "heating up the paint until it flowed enough to fill in the scratch." Again I was not very happy about that solution, but the only SE auto w/o sunroof available for a LONG time so I had to take it. Well now after a couple of washings it appears the wax they put over it wore off and now I can see the buff swirls in that area when in direct light! Is there anyway to eliminate that or am I just screwed with a messed up finish now! I am also concerned in five years I am going to have a nice primer finish in that area! Maybe three years if they really buffed the hell out of that area! Any comments or suggestions.
    If the gas cap holder is supposed to be a little piece of black metal on the inside of the gas cap, then mine came with it.
  • boomer1946boomer1946 Member Posts: 1
    I recently picked up my 2001 Nissan Sentra SE and it has a gas cap holder which seemed a little odd to me since the gas cap also has a permanent attachment so that it just hangs there when filling with gas. Quick question I traded in a 1996 Sentra for this one. When I got my 1996 Sentra I was told only to use 89 octane gas, the manual for the SE says 87 octane - any opinions.

Thanks
    If the 2001 Sentras are shipping with something akin to a gas cap holder, I'm going to stop by my dealership and see if they can hook me up with the same thing.

Boomer1946 -- 87 octane will work fine in the Sentra, in fact, it's preferred. Don't know why you were told to use 89 octane in your 1996 Sentra, but it wasn't necessary. I had a 1995 Sentra and only used 87 octane.
  • fpm2fpm2 Member Posts: 13
    After wrestling with numerous dealerships about what I should pay for a Sentra SE (almost all said that I should pay sticker), I found one dealership who wrote up my order at what I think is a good price. I ordered a 2001 Sentra SE (Radium), 5-speed, with Perf. Pkg., Sunroof, and, of course, floor mats. The price with destination was $15,794. The best part is I didn't even haggle with this guy. He tells me that he can get me the car right away, but from reading everyone's posts, it sounds like it takes awhile. How long should I expect to wait?
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    was that an out the door price? damn man... If I give you my fax number send a copy of the invoice... that's a nice price. I would love to get the SE, and I'm looking in about a month for a new car...
    Sorry, the price doesn't include tax.
  • ayroqueayroque Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I purchased a 2000 Sentra SE, 5 speed, w/Performance package, about 3 months ago. I love it but was wondering if anyone else, with a similar car, has found that there is a considerable amount of noise on the highway at speeds of around 55-65 mph. It almost sounds like I should shift into a higher gear. I can't quite tell exactly what the noise I'm hearing is, it's just loud. I traded in a 93 Taurus, am I just used to a quieter ride or could there be a problem? I have also found that when I start the car there is a loud screech that, I believe, is coming from the fan belt. I am planning to bring it in to the dealer, but was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem?
  • compupsychcompupsych Member Posts: 11
    A while back in one of the car mag online sites (I don't remember which) I saw a "future model" listing that indicated that the Sentra would be available with a supercharger this year. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Thanks!
    Maybe what you're referring to is the resurrection of the Sentra SE-R. It is supposedly going into production later this year with an all-new engine that is rumored to have over 170bhp. It'll be quite a little screamer if that is the case. :)
    I went to the dealer yesterday to investigate the gas cap holder situation on the Sentras, notably, that most of us contend it does not exist. Here's the deal. All Sentras have a black, vertical, metal thingamajig that is located near the rear (if the door is open) of the gas cap door. This piece is the Sentra's version of a gas cap holder. If you take the gas cap cord and drape it over this holder, it works reasonably well. A previous post mentioned that the Altima's gas cap holder will fit on the Sentra. Comparing the design of the Sentra's door to the Altima's, I agree. The Altima uses a completely different type of holder. It's an orange plastic piece that's rounded-out and horizontal, and you simply place the gas cap in this holder while refilling. I like this holder better -- it's the one I'm most familiar with. I inquired into getting this piece for my Sentra, and the parts guy said I would have to order the entire gas cap door! This is ridiculous, because this piece easily snaps in and out of the door and probably cost less than a dime to produce. Well, whatever. One other note -- the Sentra does has a cord that attaches to the cap, whereas the Altima does not. So, given that I'm the absent-minded type, I prefer the Sentra's style of gas cap holder over the Altima's. At least it's impossible for me to drive off without my gas cap.
  • sentra_buyersentra_buyer Member Posts: 6
    I recently bought my Nissan Sentra SE 2001, with
    Black color
    Performance Package,
    sunroof,
    Automatic Transmission and
    floor mats.

The price without taxes and licensing cost me: cost me 16,119. The actual invoice for the car with the above options and accessories was 16,058. So basically I paid $ 61 above invoice. The slightly vague figure came up because earlier I was charged $ 31 for the In cabin Micro Filter. When I got the car this was not there and so I asked for the reduction in price.

Too bad that after taxes (approx $ 1300) and licensing, the cost to me really grew up. around 17,500 dollars.

In my shopping experience I came across all kinds of dealers. Most dealers I contacted on the telephone and got qoutes that were close to the Invoice. I did want ABS but most cars did not have this option. And so I compromised for without ABS. There are a few questions which I am doubtful about:
    1. I have done a lot of reading on whether theere is a Breakin for the first one year. So is there or is there not. My salesman said that IT IS NOT TRUE.

2. Is the insurance for a black colored car more than other colors (except red)?

3. What kind of gas will be OK for the car.

4. Finally, do you guys think that this was an excellent deal. Basically have there been cases of dealers going below the Invoice.

Another guidelines from Sentra owners?

Thanks for your replies.
  • katraakkatraak Member Posts: 33
    Congrats on your purchase. I have the 2000 model bought in July with all the options that your car has except that my car is Avalanche. I paid 16550 plus tax which came upto 17150. Considering that the SE's w/PP package are rare to find you got an excellent deal. Even I wanted the ABS and side air bags option but could not spot a car with all the options. Even the salesman says otherwise, regarding the break in process it is good for the car if you take it easy the first 1500 miles.
    You can do any speed as long as you do not exceed 4000 rpm on your tach. Go to www.b15sentra.net and you can meet all the Sentra enthusiasts and owners.
    I just got my Sentra SE last night. I noticed that the right side of the passenger air bag is slightly lifted from the dashboard. Has anyone else noticed a similar problem and was is remedied? Either way, I couldn't be happier with my purchase. For the price that I paid (15.8K before tax - SE, 5-speed, sunroof, PP), the car drives great.
  • jbrotherjbrother Member Posts: 31
    The deal for soon to be, or graduated in the last 2 years, is $750 off a new sentra, or $500 off a frontier pickup. NMAC (nissan financing) will usually give 5.9% without question to college grads I think.

There is some info at the nissan website
    (www.nissan-usa.com) about the deal...
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    I'm considering a Sentra SE 5-speed with the Side-Impact Air Bags/ABS package and maybe the Performance package. Is this hard to find? Has anyone actually test-driven both with and without the Performance package to comment on the differences in handling and ride? One thing I don't like about this package, besides the rear spoiler, is that the tires are upgraded to P195/55R16. This is normally good but this happens to be an odd size that'll hard to get replacement tires for.
    On B15Sentra.net, you will see people have been able to mount P205/55HR16's without problem. That appears to be a more common size.

My 2000 experienced snow/ice the for the first time yesterday. It was good and bad - the ABS works, but I required use of the ABS system.

Apparantely the SE w/PP still remains a hard-to-find thing, the dealer mine was purchased at had NO SE's w/ PP.
    My experience was slightly different. Most of the cars that I could find did have the PP on them. The problem was to find an SE with ABS, which I really wanted. That would ahve meant a wait period for a long time which I did not want to do.

One more thing. Earlier I got a finance deal of 5/9% for 3 years. But today my dealer called up and said that I could get the loan for 4.9% instead.

All friends have really liked the car. I have come to the conclusion that this is really good value for money.

It is kind of sporty with a big engine and 145 bhp. Has a lot of space due to folding seats at the back. Good shape, accessories such as fog lights at no additional cost.

I drove both a 5 speed and an Auto, but I wanted to keep one hand and one foot free for a relaxed drive. I know 5 speed is great fun, but I just wanted convenience while driving. After all I have driven a manual Suzuki omni in India for 10 years. :)
  • hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Thanks for the comments. Using 205/55HR16's would under-report the speed and mileage by about 1.8%. So I guess it's fine. Sentra_buyer, would you let me know which part of country you bought your car in?
    I live in Eastern Washington and here is where I bought my car!

COuld you guys tell me how many of you actually follow the break-in of 4000RPM and 55 mph for 1000 miles. And whether it must be done or not. My dealer said that it is not required at all.
    I followed the break-in schedule to the letter. I want this car to last a long time with a minimum amount of performance and mechanical problems. Seems like treating it right is one way to ensure that, which includes adhering to the break-in schedule. And it's merely a slight inconvenience -- you'll find yourself driving this awesome car so much that 1000 miles will be here before you know it. And if there is still any doubt left, ask yourself who is in a position of authority to determine a vehicle's break-in period -- the manufacturer of the car or the guy who sells it?
    I also followed the break-in period. I agree, 1000 miles isn't that much, given the expected lifetime of this vehicle.

And RE the tires, speedo calibration always tricks me up - the speedos are already off (reported 70 is actually 65), so would this effect be exagratted with larger tires?
  • liane1liane1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 Sentra, I believe it's the SE, (loaded, power everything, just no leather). I did not see any such MA charge on my car. The sticker was $15K on my car but I did a lease. Curious as to what any of you have paid on a lease for a 2000 Sentra for 36 months. I think I got a good deal myself.
  • dmv71dmv71 Member Posts: 6
    On Thanksgiving Day, I went and bought a 2000 automatice GXE with Conv. Package with Mats for $11, 777 before taxes and license. Out the door price was $12,954. I thought I got a good price on it. Am I correct on that assessment, anyone?
  • dmv71dmv71 Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2000 Auto. GXE and the financing guy wanted to sell me an extended warranty of additional 3 years or up to 100,000 miles for $525. Having read about extended warranty posts on Edmunds, I decided against it. However, having thought about it further, I think I passed on a great deal. What does everyone think about the price for the extended warranty that I just mentioned? The financing guy told me that the extended warranty covers everything except for tires and oil changes. Please advise regarding whether I should go back and purchase the extended warranty, that is if he can still offer it to me. Thanks in advance, everyone!!!
    I am following the break in period. However I have seen many posts say 4000 rpm and 55 mph, but that is not in the manual. Only the 4000 rpm. I don't know where the 55mph limit came from, but I haven't seen any official material on it. MPH is a function of tire rpm's I would think the only thing that matters is keeping the engine rpms low. I keep it under 70 just in case, but it is so hard not to drive this thing fast, it wants to go.
  • gladicheckedgladichecked Member Posts: 93
    That sounds like a good deal. I don't own a Sentra, but I recently bought a car in the same class as the Sentra and paid $700 for what sounds like the same type extended warranty. If I never use it, I will have peace of mind for 3 extra years. If I have one major repair, it has paid for itself.

Starchecker...I agree with you. I think the most important things are to vary your rpm's and don't go over 4000 rpm's. Part of my daily commute is on a 65mph freeway. No way I'm going 55mph on that road...lol...I would end up the victim of road rage. ;^)

How is anybody's/everybody's 2000/2001 Sentras doing so far? Before I bought my Protege, I had narrowed my choices down to the Pro, Sentra, and Civic. After dealing with the Honda dealership it came down to the Sentra and the Pro. It was pretty much a toss up. Ended up buying the Pro-ES because the dealership is 5 mi from my house & I liked the styling just a touch better. I felt that these 2 cars were the best value in their class.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    what part of the country was that and what was msrp? Also, what financing deals are available?
  • bill912bill912 Member Posts: 2
    Just spent the last several days getting educated on the options and supply of sentras at the local dealers. Wanted a SE 5-speed with the performance package and the ABS/Side airbags. Could only find automatics and sentras with fully loaded options. Finally deciding to order one wit the options I want and the color.. Anybody else out there order theirs? What was your actual lead time? Looks like we are going to sign a deal for$15,600 including transportation, options above and the so-called "advertising fee" is included in this price. Does this sound like a good deal?
    Hey Bill. I would think that you are getting a pretty good deal.Your invoice turns out to be around 15,529 including the destination charge and the options that you want. moreover you are getting the car ordered right from the plant. So you are paying only 71 bucks above invoice. That seems to be a pretty good deal.

I bought my car which was at the showroom for 60 bucks above invoice, though later I was quite sure that the dealer would have easily agreed to give it at the invoice price itself. IF you are still interested try to get the dealer to the invoice price and it might work. No big deal, but it is a good sense of satisfaction that you only paid the invoice price.

I myself wanted ABS but would have had to wait for a while, which I did not want to do. I was told that it might take upto 3 months which was certainly not acceptable to me. BTW, mine was an SE with PP, sunroof, automatic but no ABS.

If you can wait the best thing is to order it from the factory so that at least you get what you want and it may not be a bad idea to try and get the dealer to agree to sell it on the invoice!