Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Looks like you forgot to include the GXE Convenience Package (G03). It's mandatory with the GXE Luxury Package. If you add up the sticker prices on the options you mentioned to the base price and freight, it comes out to $15,845 which is exactly $150 less than $15,995. The Convenience Package lists for $150.

Including the Convenience Package, the invoice is $14,567. Edmunds.com's TMV, about $200 over invoice, sounds reasonable. Have you driven both versions yet?
  • dart64dart64 Member Posts: 9
    The reason you are not able to shift the car into first gear when slowing down is because the car has a synchronizer (sp?) on it that doesn't allow you to do so. This is there so that you don't wreck the engine by accidently shifting into first gear when your traveling above a certain engine speed. It all has to do with your RPMs.
    There is nothing wrong with the car, you just have to know about this. My 91 Sentra does the same thing; either slow down to a complete stop, match the RPM so that the car will shift into first gear, or just use 2nd.
    Hope this clears up your question.
    Thanks for the reply. I already knew it had to do with the synchronizer. I did not state my question correctly. I was trying to find out why the Sentra did that while others didn't. Cost-saving?
  • dart64dart64 Member Posts: 9
    I don't know why Nissan has them and others don't. Maybe they just care about the longevity of their engines more than other manufacturers :)
    Well, I hope that whatever car you choose you are happy with. I do know, however, that the Sentra is a blast to drive, especially with the 2.0 ltr engine.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    I would like to buy a Sentra SE with PP, but definitely without the Sunroof. Do you think I can find one after looking at several dealers (possibly over 100 SEs with PP)? Nope. This is typical of Nissan. They say an item is optional such as a Sunroof (and especially the overpriced and unnecessary anti-theft system with it's $75 dollar keys), but then add it to every car produced thereby making it "standard". I'd like to see the look on a dealer's face if you wanted to order a Sentra just to get one without the optional floor mats.
    Which part of the country are you in? Are you looking for a 2001? This doesn't sound good if and I'm ready for an SE w/PP and no sunroof. What about the Side-Impact Air Bags/ABS combo? Is it hard to find too?
  • austyleaustyle Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the response. I drove the SE first. I loved it and it had a nice extra push than the GXE, those extra horses in the SE! But I do not want to pay the extra $$ for the SE at this point
    Let's compare. The GXE you're looking at has an invoice of $14,567. Take an SE and add to it the Side-Impact Air Bags/ABS, the CD changer and the floor mats. The base SE has essentially everything in the GXE's Convenience and Luxury Packages except the Vehicle Immobilizer/Vehicle Security system and the upgraded stereo. The total invoice is $15,154 or $587 more. If you can give up the CD changer then it's $14,808 or $241 more. Add $259 to these two prices if you want to add the Immobilizer/Vehicle Security system. The problem is finding the car with exactly the options that you want.
  • fishbookfishbook Member Posts: 5
    many of our new owners must have received the brochure about this plan. any comments? many thanks!
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Well, I would predict that the dealer would put a big happy smile on his face because all he would have to do is remove the floor mats from the vehicle! :)
  • mumblesmumbles Member Posts: 1
    As noted in several posts that the passengerr side airbag was not fitting properly, my dealer found that this was a mfg defect in Mexico, and has ordered a clip to secure tha cover, and if that does not work they stated that a new airbag
    ($ 2000) will be installed to correct the problem
  • soviesovie Member Posts: 1
    JUST BOUGHT A 2001 SENTRA SE. no COMPLAINTS JUST YET EXCEPT ONE BIGGIE. Several times a day the engine gives off a powerfull sulphur odour. it is unbearable and i must open all the windows. this happens intermittantly.
    Dealer (Avenue Nissan in Toronto) says we sould use only Shell or Petro Canada gas. We try that and it still smells. Then they say we should use only Esso gas. Try that and it still smells.
    Call them back and get the old run around. Apparently the new Maxima is having the same problem and there is no apparent solution for that. Went from driving a used car to a new one to avoid problems like this. FED UP!!
    Anyone else experiencing this??
  • schaubyschauby Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 Sentra SE December 19 at 8:00P.M. with a finance rate of 6.9% for five years. Not too bad. I wake up the next morning and see Nissan's new commercial advertising 3.9% for five years on any new Nissan. I'm wondering if I should go nuts and demand I get the 3.9%. How do I know that the dealer wasn't hurrying the deal along just to screw me out getting the better deal. Does anyone know what I could do? I plan on calling Nissan and hope they will be nice and give me it.
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Hkchan, '01 Sentra 5sp SEs with PP and no sunroof seem to be made on another planet, if they're made at all. Regarding ABS/side SRS, same problem. I think the ABS/side SRS is a much more valuable option, not to mention a bargain at $700, than a $600 sunroof. Several dealers I've visited have possibly 20+ SEs with PP, all optioned the same: sunroof, but no ABS/side SRS. You would think that out of 20+, they would order 1 or 2 differently. What a bunch of buffoons.
  • starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    This seems to be a common problem on a lot of new cars. Supposedly it is caused by the catalytic converter, but will stop after it has broken in. This may take a few thousand miles though. I have heard buying gas from the same chain helps the break in process. I guess time will tell. I have 1200 miles on mine and it emits the smell sometimes too.
  • cdarienzocdarienzo Member Posts: 2
    I live in the northeast and ready to buy a Sentra. Can someone post there purchase of the GXE or SE without taxes,fees etc. As well, include and name the options in the cost. Thanks and happy holidays!
  • rberusrberus Member Posts: 25
    I now have 4400 miles on my Sentra. Bought on Aug 31. I rarely ever get that smell anymore - only when I've really gotten on it hard will it come around. I've run 92 octane Sunoco only.
    Is there a reason why you're using 92 octane, instead of 87 octane gasoline?
  • janelle225janelle225 Member Posts: 1
    i just bought a 2001 Sentra SE w/auto, perf pack,sunroof and floormats for 16800 w/o taxes and fees, I love it!! I got it in radium which really isn't silver like they advertise!! i really wanted the black, i went to the dealer and saw the "silver" one and got it. too bad it was night so i couldn't see the color too good, i just assumed it was silver like in the commercial. it doesn't matter though, i love the car!!
  • lethal_79lethal_79 Member Posts: 3
    I dont know which one to get, altima or sentra. most of the messages on sentra sound very good. i am leaning towards getting the sentra SE. but on the other hand, altima, only costs 2,000 more. my question is that is it worth to pay 2000 more for altima. you know afterall altima is in the mid-size class comparing to sentra's economy.
  • trunktrunk Member Posts: 3
    Post #364: "I wake up the next morning and see Nissan's new commercial advertising 3.9% for five years on any new Nissan." What part of the country are you in? This is not on the Edmunds rebate/incentive listing ???
  • AaronAaron Member Posts: 11
    I am hearing ads on the radio offering $500 rebate on any Nissan here in the Chicago area. They are offering even bigger rebates on Altimas. I havent been to the dealer yet, but has anyone else heard anything else regarding incentives in various areas of the country?
  • lethal_79lethal_79 Member Posts: 3
  • rtirichrtirich Member Posts: 5
    I AM PRICING A NEW 2001 SENTRA SE WITH AUTO,PERFORMANCE PACKAGE,MATS AND SUN ROOF.THE BEST PRICE I CAN GET IS 16000.00 MINUS A 500.00 REBATE.DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF THIS IS A GOOD PRICE OR CAN I GET BETTER?
  • inerokinerok Member Posts: 2
    I'M IN SOUTH FLORIDA...3.9% FINANCING...is for 24 months....5.9%for 48 months...and 6.9% for 60 months....Also....there is $1400 cash back..plus $500 year end bonus...supposedly offers end 1/2/01.
  • dguruswamydguruswamy Member Posts: 3
    Here in the Washington DC area, Nissan is offering 3.9% for up to 60 months. No year end bonus or cash back on Sentra's in DC. The ONLY cash back offer we've had on Sentra is $500 at the beginning of Fall to move out the 2000s. Purchased a car on Christmas Eve and qualified for Tier 1 with Nissan and got 3.9% for 60 months. Saved over $2,000 in financing costs :-)
  • adorableadorable Member Posts: 9
    http://www.nissan.com.tw/sentra/index.htm

Not only does the Sentra have leather option in Taiwan, it also gets the GPS option - and it fits right into that wierd flip-open, dash-top storage bin US buyers look at strangely -- just like the dash-top GPS unit on the US Infiniti I30!

Another US-no-show is the HUD (heads-up-display) previously found in the prior US sport coupe models, displaying the speed right on the windshield itself!

Missing as well is the futuristic rear-view mirror, cell phone-number-called display, with steering wheel mounted cell phone controls.

Finally, that nifty 1800cc engine that we're still waiting for...

Besides that, IMO, much better exterior styling with cues to the I30 on the tail, and a much more aggressive Lincoln/G20-like front end.

Sigh....the foreign markets actually get a far better Sentra than we'll ever see....

David =)
  • timinlatiminla Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 GXE and have replaced the rear factory speakers with Polks. Sounds great, but now I'm ready to replace the front. Can someone tell me the size I need and ease of installation? I'm a little worried about replacing those speakers, due to the pocket door panels. I want to keep the panels looking factory new. Also, can I reuse the separate tweeters with a new pair of speakers? Thanks.
  • austyleaustyle Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am in Arlington VA. Please tell me where you got the 3.9 financing. Also, you got a Sentra? Which one, what kind of options and how much. Please refer to my message, 351 and tell me how those prices looked. They started at 15,9 (WAY TOO HIGH) and are at 15,4 (still to high). I think that 14,6 is what I should be paying for a GXE, according to TMV. Thanks.
  • russ2kseruss2kse Member Posts: 1
    Go here for all the info and help for maint, mods, performance, new products, etc about the car. Lots of areas, lots of people to talk too. Also discounts on parts!
  • sentrafansentrafan Member Posts: 40
    All,

For those of you wanting the orange, horizontal gas cap holder that cradles the cap while you're refueling, you can order it from your Nissan dealer, part #17255-01G00. The cost at my dealership was 67 cents.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i wonder if all this 3.9% 4.9% financing sales going on at the end of the year is only for those who BUY a car.... and not lease.... the reason i ask is, I was almost ready to lease a sentra GXE but the interest rate was 6.3% for 36 month lease... and they said that was not negotiable..so if anyone knows, does this mean that if nissan has ads for low finance rates, that applies only if you purchase, and not lease?
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    Ouch. Mongrel in a Dodge Ram 4x4 never looked over his shoulder and swerved into my (fast) lane to avoid slowing for a car exiting a driveway into his (slow) lane. It was either take his tailgate in the teeth or swerve left into a gap-unfortunately, the gap ended and I hit an center island with the left front 16" alloy at about 45mph.....the island was about 30 feet long, and after scraping across the rounded, pebbled, aggregate surface, I crashed down onto the roadway, slowed, and then hit the next island and came to a stop. The 4x4 guy turned and looked back when he heard the initial impact, then jammed on the accelerator and ran. I was too busy trying to ride the island and avoid going head-on into incoming traffic to get his license plate.
    Nuff said. Damage: about $10K.
    Smashed oilpan and transaxle housing, front foglight bra, left front quarter-panel, both alloys on the left side of the car, two beautiful brand-new 215-50-ZR16 tires, and a bunch of underbody components. It's been a month at the repair shop, with about 2-3 weeks left to wait.
    Moral of the story?
    Pay the extra $5-$10 every 6 months on your insurance policy for a "rental-car" clause...it gets mighty inconvenient to go without a car.
    The cheapest rental I could find was $660 a month for a Geo......(you can buy a Geo for $179 a month!)
    Have a Happy New Year and watch out for poor drivers!
  • marylamaryla Member Posts: 1
    Please advise me regarding my Sentra E. 1993, 118,000 miles. I purchased this vehicle from a fleet sale in 1994 with 45,000 miles. I've had no problems, other than a fuel pump replacement and the alternator. Now it seems the transmission will need work. I wonder if I should just unload the baby and buy another used vehicle. I really don't want to make more car payments but... what's a realistic figure for the life expectancy of this vehicle? How much might it cost to fix the transmission (I live in the San Francisco Bay Area)This is the only car I've ever had- maybe I'm just too attached? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • sentrafansentrafan Member Posts: 40
    Quark,

Sorry to hear about your accident. I bet you'd give most anything to get your hands on that driver! Hopefully 2001 will be nicer to you and your Sentra.

Happy New Year All
  • dancingbear1dancingbear1 Member Posts: 3
    I have 650 miles on my 2001 SE, perf package,auto tran. etc. There is a vibration or buzz felt on the steering wheel when accellerating. I owned a 4cyl Subaru and do not recall this type of vibration, or buzz. It feels as if the muffler or engine was touching the frame. My question is this...do any of you SE owners have this same condition? Is this just a normal thing?
  • sunguardiansunguardian Member Posts: 4
    Quark - sorry dude.. Nex time plough right into the fother mucker - I bet it would have been less damage too... Actually, don't... it ain't worth a dead pig on your hands if the f'er flips over and kicks the bucket in the process. BTW, I also got the BF G-Force 215/50/16 - got to tell ya, it's beautiful. The difference between those and the originals is small on straight, and enormous on tight turns. One thing though, I think on lock-to-lock turns, I am hitting something on the front - I get this very slight scraping noise. Are/were you getting the same or are you running clean? Oh... BTW, check out priceline.com - you'll be able to rent a Ford Contour for $400 a month. (Budget?) Hell, Geo for $660 - I know a friend with a BMW 528i $550 and a friend with a Lex GS300 $500 lease - yer bein' taken pal.

DanBear1 - I am feeling a VERY slight vibration, but that might not be what you are talking about. Other than that, I was feeling a vibration when I changed the original tires, but once the new ones "settled" it's all gravy. Anyway, always a good idea to pass it by the Nissan techs - make sure to write your odometer numbers down before hand, and if fix necessary, make sure to have them put it on "due bill" - that's, they'll flip for the possible fix. G'luck
  • starcheckerstarchecker Member Posts: 28
    I can't beleive it. I was just wondering where you and some of the other originals to this site were. You have been so helpful to a lot of people in their search for the right car. I was telling my wife about this sob story, and then today I find out it was you! Why do bad things happen to good people. Let us know how the repairs go.
    Meanwhile for me, the car still seems to get better and better, especially now that I can bust 4K on the tach. The power is so smooth and just keeps going. I am also very glad I got the black one.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My neighbor's stepson had a 1996 Sentra and it was totaled in an accident about 2 weeks ago. He just replaced it with a dark green 2001 Sentra SE with Performance Pkg. Definitely a nice-looking car. I have never seen a green one before. They are nice though...
  • nissandrivernissandriver Member Posts: 4
    I am in San Diego, CA. I just bought a 2001 Sentra GXE with Convenience & Luxury packages, floor mats and a spoiler. I got the 3.9% interest rate at $15,200 plus taxes and fees. How did I do?
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    coulda shoulda woulda hit 'im. And I'm collecting insurance money this Saturday on the last person who wasn't paying attention and pulled out in front of my Accent. It's nowhere near $12,700 (what the TMV is for a Sentra XE with AC, cassette, and pollen filter) but it's a good start. I'd rather have a Geo Metro. They total out easier...LOL!!! Sorry you didn't catch him, but I'll tell you what. Since he didn't touch you, no blame could be placed on him unless someone else also witnessed the incident and stopped to help you. The last time I was run off the road, I hit a metal wastebasket and my Dodge Dynasty's fender was pushed the tiniest fraction of an inch and the next time I opened the door it crunched the fender in. The aqua green Mustang who almost hit me head-on is owned by someone I recognized. I found him later at a bar, called the police, but they could do nothing, and his insurance denied my claim, because the cars never touched. Sometimes it's like that. Hope your car comes out of the shop like it was, with $10K of damage I wouldn't want to drive it anymore.
  • pathwaypathway Member Posts: 8
    Well, the car you just discribed (I'm assuming manual trans) comes to a Invoice price of $14981, and a Edmunds.com TMV of $15336. You said you paid $15200, so you beat Edmund's price by about $100. Good job!

My experiance was not nearly as good: Took 4 days to finish the deal... Here's a long story for all of you...

We (my wife and I) desided on getting the Sentra GXE. It was just a matter of when. Since Nissan was advertising an APR of 3.9 persent, we desided to look and see what we could do.

Went to the big dealership, about an hour's drive from our place. Looked around abit, and found the last 2000 Model Sentra on the lot. GXE, Convience Package... Even the color we liked (Iced Cappachino). So, we made an offer: We started by asking for $14700 off the lot. Now, by Off the lot (OTL), we were asking for everything to be included... Tax, Licensing... Everything. After a series of offers and counter offers, they finaly agreed on $15300 OTL.

The day was getting late, and we were getting tired. But... Our credit report came back, and it was just as we knew it would be: We have no credit. They told me that there was no way we would get the 3.9% apr with no credit, and we would probably need a co-signer... So, They let us take the new car home. We eventualy got the co-signatures from my parents. But there was still no sign of whether or not we were approved...

Finaly, after another day of waiting, we got the call that we were approved for 6.9% apr, which is what we signed for. (Hint: If they offer something like 16.9% like they did to us, get up to leave. the're ripping you off.) The car was finaly ours.

How did I do? Well, The car I got (GXE Auto with Convience package and FloorMats) comes to a Invoice price of $13784. Edmund's TMV for this car is $14088, and with the 8.3% sales tax and $50 license tabs, it comes out to $15307.30... Right on my $15300 OTL target.

Only regrets: Couldn't find anywhere a GXE with antilock breaks, unless I wanted to drive 2 hours in bad weather just get there... But I must say the breaks on the standard sentra are incredable compared to the poor old care I was (and still am occationaly) driving. Standard Dunlop all-weather tires are exelent as well.

Do I like the car? Absolutly! Quiet, Smooth ride... Great sound system (even the cheaper 4 speaker system we got sounds rich and powerful) Plenty of power, room for 4 compfortably... The list could go on...

I am curious... Potential buyers should try the "off the lot" method... Perhaps this is a good way to get down to your target price on a new car... Feedback?

Pathway
    pathway, can I assume that you bought a 2000 when the 2001 was not available yet?
    Sorry, I left out one important detail. I am in San Diego, CA. I just bought a 2001 Sentra GXE with an Automatic, Convenience & Luxury packages, floor mats, and a spoiler. I got the 3.9% interest rate at $15,200 plus taxes and fees. How did I do?
    pathway, how did you come up with $14,981 as the invoice price for NissanDriver's car? And that was assuming a manual transmission. The 2000's and 2001's are priced (list and invoice) the same. $12,343(base)+$520(freight)+$732(auto. trans.)+$131(C.P.)+$563(L.P.)+$58(F.M.)+$259(rear spoiler)=$14,606. So NissanDriver paid $594 over invoice.
  • pathwaypathway Member Posts: 8
    hkchan: I got the 2000 because it was what I wanted, there were 2001's on the lot, but the 2000 was right...

NissanDriver: ARG! I thought you got the SE! My fault! hkchan is correct... Sorry for the confusion.

Pathway
    So is $594 over invoice an OK deal (considering the 3.9 apr) or was I a weak haggler?
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    just my personal opinion,,,, i think you could have got the car for invoice or below-- there was a $500 rebate on the car, wasn't there? ...plus, it was the end of the calendar year, where plenty of good deals are made...plus, we're talking a sentra, not a high-demand car....i think you could have bought the car for:
    invoice - 500 + 150.

then again, if you're happy with the deal, then my opinion matters not at all. i test drove a GXE last week, very nice car.
    Would you mind giving me your zip code? Actually, any zip code in your general area would do. How much time did you spend on the negotiation(s)? And how many dealers did you visit?
  • rtirichrtirich Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a 2001 se,with auto,sunroof,mats, and performance package for 16000.00 + tax, minus the 500.00 rebate.How did i do?