Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Your car's invoice is $16,058. How do you think you did? BTW, the $16,000 price you mention includes the freight, right? Which part of the country are you in? I guess the $500 rebate is regional.
  • nissandrivernissandriver Member Posts: 4
    Proud new GXE owner. I love it so far. Zip: 92163. I only visited one dealer, but I did a lot of research online. I wish I would have seen these messages earlier. The best online price I could find for the same car/options was at greenlight.com for $14889. Of course, that was not at a 3.9% interest rate. I think that I could have done a better job of negotiating. Yesterday when I checked it think the TMV was just over 15200 but today it is 14949. Looks like I might have been able to do a little better. I decided to just go with the slightly pricier vehicle for a better interest rate and not have to worry about waiting for it and so forth. There is no $500 rebate here that I have heard of (please don't tell me there is - it must be regional). I was hoping that someone else who bought one could tell me what they paid for it... I guess I shouldn't worry about the deal that I got since its done, but I want to do better in the future, like when I buy a home.
  • pathwaypathway Member Posts: 8
    There isn't a $500 rebate on the Sentra in my area, only the Altima. So I'm sure you would have heard about it if there was one in your area.

Glad to hear SOMEBODY is getting the 3.9% rate... Soon (after this car) I'll have credit!

Pathway
    For the zip code 92163, Greenlight is quoting $14,883, $14,748 for CarsDirect and $15,282.72 for Driveoff. They don't mention the 3.9% promotion.
  • austyleaustyle Member Posts: 4
    got a new GXE (Arlington VA,22204) for $15,061, include: 5 speed, 6 disk changer, ABS, conv.-luxury package, mats. Plus the damn $250 processing fee for VA. I should have negotiated that into the bottom line price!! My bad. But I did get the 3.9% financing! I am just psyched to have a new car. Now I need for it to have a better life than the twisted Mazda MX-3 which I was fortunate enough to walk away uninjured from this past August! Did anyone get the extended warranty? If so, how much did you pay. They were oferring 6yr./75K for $732, but I said the heck with that. Thought it was a little high.
    Is this a '00 or '01? The invoice is $14,567. That's $494 over invoice. When you said ABS, it came with side air bags too, right? What's with this processing fee for VA but not MD. Is this a fee charged by the VA MVA?
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i think the processing fee is advertising fee, isn't it? when i was quoted a price on a GXE in Ohio, their invoice price matched mine to the letter, EXCEPT for an additional $2xx for advertising. I assume that's what you mean by processing fee. I didn't buy any car yet, I liked the GXE tho.

i also didn't care for the $520 destination charge-- I know you have to pay distination, but when Honda and Toyota are both in the $400-$450 area, $520 seemed high. of course, that's not enough to make me not want the nissan, in and of itself. i'd buy a gxe over a civic.
  • lambosun00lambosun00 Member Posts: 9
    Hello people,
    Did anyone install the In-Cabin Microfilter advertised on Nissan's website after they bought their Sentra? If so how much did it cost including labor?
  • robraglandrobragland Member Posts: 2
    OK,

I am arranging the purchase of a 2001 Sentra SE with almost all the options (except for the 6 disc changer, I plan on putting in a new Aiwa MP3 player instead, but that's some down the line).

Here's my request of all the experienced and/or opinionated people out there:

What should I do when I pick up the car, drive it the first so-and-so weeks(months/years), and what considerations should I take into account for making it last as long as possible, with the most reasonable amount of cost/time?

In other words, what advice do you wish someone had given you when you first got a new car? Like how to treat it when it's new, what to look for when you pick it up, and so on. Not just general advice mind you, but some specifics. I realise it's all your opinion, so I won't hold any grudges if I decide to follow your advice and it doesn't work out....Mama didn't raise no fool (except my idiot brother! But that's neither here nor there.).

Thanks and feel free to email me at robragland@yahoo.com instead of taking up a lot of space, unless you think it's a worthy topic!

Robert
  • dancingbear1dancingbear1 Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for your answer. I did go for a ride with the tech, and he said that my "vibration" was a normal circumstance of the 4 cyl motor. He said for me to drive other SE's at the dealership, and if I did not agree with him, they would go to a factory rep. I did do this, and he was right on. I asked them about the radio...it sounded a little "out of tune", and it faded on FM. They have ordered a new radio. I really like my Sentra SE. I am 70 years old and wanted to have a litle fun while I can. I have always driven Volvo's and for good or bad, they all drive the same, year after year. This is really a kick in the behind to read all of the posts from you and others like you....for the greatest part, very polite and patient. Thanks again!!!
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    My brother just broke-in his SE and he loves it. The only dislike that he has are the little tweaters on the a-pillar. They pretty pathetic. To me, the car is a big improvement over the '94 version which we previously owned. It is roomier and the interior looks alot better. I like the front storage space... very interesting place to put more stuff.

As far as getting a new car, I'd look over the car inside and out very carefully before I'd accept it. I'd get one with extremely low mileage (My Acura had 5 miles on it at delivery) Make sure that all the items you've ordered are there or make the dealer sign a paper saying that they still owe you those things. Always check the tire pressures since the dealers always have the tires over-inflated. Make sure there are no dents. Check that all the functions are working ... that means starting up the engine and use all the features.

As for break-in period, drive the car like you would when you first learn to drive... very slowly. Try to stay below 70 mph. Don't drive it more than two hours during break-in period. The engine and the brakes should be gently handled during this period... as the manual would say. Just the generic things one would do for a long lasting car :)
  • dart64dart64 Member Posts: 9
    Hey,
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the pocket rocket Sentra SE-R is back! It will be available in the fall of 2001 as a 2002 model with two models, a regular SE-R and the SE-R Spec V..
    Some numbers that I can remeber:
    -The SE-R will have a 2.5ltr 4 cylinder making 170hp, while the Spec V will have 180hp.
    -The Spec V will have a slip differential, 17" tires, and a 6 SPEED Manual, while the SE-R has 16" tires and a 5 speed.
    There are some cosmetic changes as well, such as a frontier-like nose, new side skirts, and a bigger spoiler in the back. There are also new seats and yellow instrumentation.
    Wow.
    You can go to www.nissandriven.com for more info on the the car
    What do you guys think?.
  • ineto6ineto6 Member Posts: 161
    I am sure that my brother will kick himself when he finds out how much more power he could have with the SE-R. Then again, he might trade his current SE for the SE-R. I hope the car will stay affordable for the young crowd or the old who want bang for the buck.

All this means is that the new Altima is about to debut pretty soon with bigger engine (3.0 from the current Maxima)
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    Getting my SE back after 7 weeks tomorrow........ God how I missed that car! In the meantime, I got to rent a few base model cars: a Cavalier..... not as bad as I'd heard, but a rattletrap nonetheless. a Focus...... had some good points-great base stereo, handled OK... and some bad points-horrible seats, stupid dash layout, and mysterious window cranks that crank backwards from every other car on earth..... and the worst of the 3, a Saturn SL1...what a POS this thing is! Horrible seats, rattling plastic everywhere you look, vibrating mirrors, I could go on and on.. this car has 3500 miles on it and it drives like my Neon did with 176,000 miles... guess GM took over Saturn and condemned it to poor quality. Our old 1993 SL2 Saturn was a good car, albeit a little noisy, but this "new" Saturn is monstrously bad. Even the dash looks like something from the early '70's...the passenger-side airbag must blast you in the knees when it deploys-it's aimed squarely at your crotch.
    Anyway, my SE is almost done (read earlier post about crash it sustained) At least I got 2 new struts and 215-50-16 G-force radials out of the deal.........
    I'll post again-next project is to upgrade the rear speakers on each side of the sub woofer.
    -Skip
  • savvy4savvy4 Member Posts: 34
    My wife and I took out a 5-spd. 2001 SE with the SE performance package on it last night, what a blast! She currently drives a '95 Sentra GLE auto (112K miles on it, the only part failure was a alternator at 90K) and is looking to replace it with a new car (she finally let me teach her how to drive a manual trans, something her old car needed...I'm glad my brother let me use his car as the "guinea pig"). I drive a '96 Infiniti G20 with lux pack that I've begun to customize (just put on some AGX shocks, but currently waiting for the awesome Koni-inserted coilovers from Motivational Engineering), it has 87K with no problems so far. Since the new SE Sentra shares the same motor as my G20 (the SR20DE) and I know how good the motor is, I figured it would be worth our time to test drive it and consider it for purchase. I'd have to say my overall impression was one of shock, as the Sentra does indeed feel like a "mini-Maxima" (I drove a '00 Maxima last year with a friend who was going to buy one), just like Car & Driver states. The performance package on the SE is not rough-riding, contrary to what one might believe. It depends on what you think "rough" is. If your used to driving Lexus LS400's or Cadillac DeVille's, then it might be a bit "active" for you (why would you buy a Sentra SE if you can afford a Lexus or Cadillac, hehe?). Since we own the last generation Sentra and last gen G20, I can tell you that the new perf-pack equipped SE drives great over the rough stuff, and that's saying a lot considering the roads here in Northern Illinois are a mess. We took that SE down a stretch of speed-bump-like 2 lane highway that was "heaved up" like crazy and the car handled it very smoothly and very impressively. I hit the road at 60mph, no problems. My G20 with the super-stiff AGX shocks on it would've shaken our dinner out of us on that same stretch. We've been looking at a Golf, because we need the hatchback practicality. But, you just can't beat the bang-for-the-buck equation and the overall performance that the new Sentra provides. I'm thinking we're in for a new Sentra in a few weeks. Oh yea, I checked out the unveiling of the new Sentra SE-R on their website (it's very slow people, so be patient), it's awesome. Definite Nissan Frontier-like front end, but I like that (beauty's in the eyes of the beholder you know). The 180hp V-Spec version with the 6-spd manual is going to be one hot car. I hope they can keep the price reasonable, though. They haven't released pricing info, but they say it should be avail this fall of '01 as a 2002 model. We SHOULD wait for that car, but we'd like something new before then.
    Did the car have the ABS/side airbags package?
    hkchan,
    You know, I didn't even notice. We weren't interested in that particular car at all because of it's color (black). We took it out for a drive because it was the most conveniently located SE 5-spd on the lot. We're interested in getting the dk.grey color (granite) or cloud white as a second choice, neither of which were on the lot with the transmission and options we wanted. I remember reading a sticker on another SE that did show ABS/side bags as a package option, though.

Chad
    Thanks for the information. People have mentioned that it's hard to come by. I'm comparing the 01 Sentra SE with the 01 Mazda Protege ES.
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    I finally bought the Sentra because of comfortable front seats. This was a requirement by my wife who wanted a larger car. I wanted smaller due to economy with performance. Unfortunately I had to compromise again and get automatic even though she drives stick. Oh well I guess thats why we are still married after 32 years. Love the car- glad I bought it. Handling is excellent.
    Later
    I'd have to agree that the front seats of the new Sentra SE are very comfortable. I like the interior on the SE model, even though some don't. I don't think the interior's perfect...but it's much better than our older '95 Sentra GLE's interior. I think our old car has more rear seat room than the new Sentra SE, though. I'm somewhat concerned about that, so I'm going to look (and drive!) at the Protege ES also, as someone has mentioned how the Protege has more rear seat room and is just as fun as the Sentra SE to drive. I don't think a person could go wrong with either car, they're both excellent. Hkchan, if we decide to get the new Sentra SE, we're going to try to get the ABS/side bag pack, even if we have to wait a while to get one. I'm not too hip on ABS, but I would like the side bags. I wish they'd make the side bags standard like many new cars and leave the ABS as a stand-alone option.

Chad
    Nissan's offering a $750 rebate at least here in the DC area, good till 1/22. I don't know if it's national. Found no mention of this rebate on the web sites that I've visited.
    i wonder if the $750 rebate is also available for GXE's in Ohio-- they had a $500 rebate on GXE's that expired on Dec 31....i imagine you could get a GXE with automatic and the convenience package for $13,500 including that rebate.
    Well, there was no $500 rebate that expired 12/31 here in the DC area.
  • rberusrberus Member Posts: 25
    No ABS? I'm curious as to why?

Personally, the ABS system has saved me twice this winter
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    What a relief-driving my car is SO much better than these dang rentals......the car is just like new drives straight, no rattles, etc. etc., ....I'm still driving on the two original damaged tires (G-Force 215-50-16's) because the body shop couldn't get any, and it was gonna be 10 days to 2 weeks longer to wait. Iasked the guy ("what about Edmund's?)....response: "We don't use the internet."
    Stupid. So, I got a $225 credit for the tires, (retail cost to the body shop for 1 tire) and I've ordered 2 new KDW's from Edmund's @ $90 each....and just stay off the freeway until next Thursday when they'll arrive at my house via UPS. Anyway, I'm back, after 7 weeks and two days without my car. It just seemed like forever!
    Good luck to all those out there with your new Sentra purchase...and don't worry about the smallish back seat area! I took myself 6', 195lbs, my wife, and 2 6' teenagers on a 800 mile trip in October, and we were all comfortable....! Nothin' wrong with the Protege, it's a fine car....but the Sentra's slightly better built and will last longer (IMHO)...
    -quark
    -quark
    Well,
    It's quite a personal thing, actually. It really depends on the individual driver, and what their experience level is (not that I'm Mario Andretti or something, hehe). I think ABS is great for the average driver (and below average driver) for most braking situation, most of the time, as the avg. driver tends to "stomp" or "mash" the pedal in an emergency situation.

However, ABS tends to lengthen your stopping distance in the winter on slick roads I've noticed, and if you're a good enough driver, you can "pump" the brake pedal yourself and do the same thing as ABS w/o taking the extra distance to stop. The one thing I DO like about ABS, though, is that it keeps your vehicle going straight in the direction you were going before applying the brakes. Without ABS, vehicles can get a little "squirrely", which bothers the average driver. For me, I don't mind my car wanting to dance around a bit as long as I can stop the car in a shorter distance. I feel I can stop shorter w/o ABS, as our '95 Sentra GLE doesn't have it.

I found, however, that the most significant factor in winter braking performance is your tires. If you're like me, and you thought the most expensive, highest-tech, all-season radials that you could buy were good enough in the winter, then you've been lying to yourself. I bought a set of Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-02's mounted on a separate set of alloy wheels (for quick changes) for my G20 this year from the Tire Rack. My God, the difference is night and day. I wish I had purchased a set of tires like this years ago. Braking distances on snow AND ice is half that of all-season radials! The traction is naturally better, the handling is better in turns, and they're quiet and ride nice. I bought my set of tires/wheels mounted, balanced, and delivered to my door by the man in the brown truck for $600. It's the best $600 I ever spent in my life. I'm not endorsed by the Tire Rack (I wish), that's just my no-bull .02 worth. The tires are that good.

I'm probably wearing your eyes out by now, but the thing I'd like to see in cars is an ABS "actuator switch", where you could switch the system on or off as you wished. For those days in which I was feeling like my head was "in a cloud", I'd switch the system on, and the rest of the time I'd have it off. But, the auto manufacturers aren't that nice to us yet. They probably won't be, as insurance companies have a lot of say-so with safety items. There's tons of vehicles coming out now with available "stability systems"; I'm sure the insurance institute had something to do with that. I don't like relying on vehicle electronic systems, I rather do the work myself. That's why I prefer manual transmissions, too.

It really comes down to what works best for you. I just want to have a choice in what type of electronic systems come on my car, because after all, I'm spending the dough. I don't want insurance companies or auto manufacturers "making" me buy a vehicle with certain features I don't want. I'm glad Nissan gives us a choice on the Sentra when it comes to ABS!
    savvy4, how often does it snow in order to justify a separate set of winter tires? Do you use them all winter long and on dry roads? How fast do they wear our on dry roads?
    Hkchan,
    I live in NW Illinois, and we've been having a "real" winter this year, as normal a winter as we used to have in the past. But, for the last 2-3 winters, it's been pretty mild. Typically in IL, it starts getting cold in November, and winter can last through March. It's totally normal to run them daily for the entire winter, from November through March. I've heard people getting 2-3 winter seasons out of their winter tires when using them during the entire winter, before needing replacement.

They don't have the razor-sharp handling of performance tires on dry roads, but they do what a tire's supposed to do, getting you down the road very well under all conditions. They're very quiet, but you may notice a very slight "hum" on perfectly smooth, dry surfaces. I do, but I'm picky. But, nothing like the old "snow tires" my dad used to put on his old Ford Gran Torino when I was a kid, hehe. Those old "snow tires" would make your car sound like a tractor!

The rubber compound on the current winter tires is soft as compared to a normal tire, so they can stay pliable at low temps. Have you ever noticed how long-life radials get extremely hard in cold temps, almost plastic-like? That's why the snow traction of most radials is so bad, the rubber compound is so hard, they don't stay pliable in the cold temps. Most of the winter tires, like my Blizzaks, have "sipes" cut into the treads...like little "slices". The sipes help bite into the snow and ice, and they're mainly responsible for the outstanding traction. They basically "scoop" the surface on a micro-level. To the eye, all you see is some lines in the tread blocks, that's all.

I don't know if they're worth buying for an area that has little to no snow, say in the central or southern states. But, for me, in the midwest, I think they're worth every penny. I'm not kidding, finding out how good these tires are has been like striking gold to me! You can read more technical data and testing data at:

http://www.tirerack.com

I've purchased the winter tire/wheel set from them, and I've purchased about 6 sets of all-season tires from them. Their prices can't be beat and their service is pretty good. I'm planning on getting an oversized wheel set with low profile performance tires this summer from them. Great place for your tire & wheel needs, and I've heard the same about Discount Tire, but I haven't tried them yet.
    Thanks for the information. I knew about TireRack and their packages. I was looking for information from a "real" user. Thanks again.
  • udtsealudtseal Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

My wife and I would really like to know what is the name of the band and the song that is played in the Nissan (Sentra?) TV commercials. If you don't know do you know where we could get this informantion? Thank you very much any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
    Tom
    Hkchan,
    I know what you mean, it's nice to hear info from real people instead of reading all the "hype" that companies put on their web pages or elsewhere. That's why we love these interactive forums, no?!!! I figured you heard of the discount tire places, they advertise like crazy in the auto mags (I subscribe to Car & Driver). But, truthfully, if you get any snow or ice at all, and have any type of winter season at all, then you should consider them. I look at them as being a relatively inexpensive insurance policy for keeping my butt safe. Hehe. They're worth it for me. If we do buy the new SE Sentra, I'll be buying a set of winter tires for it, too.

Take care,
    Chad
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult. Available on Napster. You could have obtained this info like I did, simply by searching the Internet for Nissan Sentra Commercial - very easy.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    I have ABS on my truck and my car and I have found that you can pump ABS brakes on slick surface (Winter)and overcome any drawback that ABS brakes may have. ABS has saved me many times.
    Drove an SE today and think I might try to make a deal next week. One problem is that I want an SE with auto, ABS/Airbags, 180 watt stereo, inferno red, and sunroof (NO Sport Package) and dealer said this combination will have to be ordered, none to be found. I personally do not like the sport package due to the spoiler and 16 inch wheels. Spoiler is completely cosmetic and I do not need to advertise the speed capability of the Sentra SE. I think Sentra looks much better without the spoiler.
  • adc100adc100 Member Posts: 1,521
    not be what you want to hear, but you can order the car and probably get it at invoice because they have no costs for finance. You can also go to Yahoo and do a search of all the Nissan dealers within say a couple of hundred miles. Start calling and when you find one- make the deal over the phone. Thats what I did. I also told the dealer that If there was a scratch on the car or something I wouldn't take it. I know it's hard to wait.

Later
    Al
    Yea,
    Even though I have some gripes about ABS, we'll end up getting the ABS/side bag package because we want the side air bags. I've found over the years that good, alert, defensive driving along with really good tires (especially winter tires in the winter) really does you the most good when it comes to braking, ABS on board or not. ABS has saved me on a couple of occasions, and almost got me into serious trouble on another occasion. The troubled situation happened about five years ago (had an Integra GS-R at the time), and my stopping distance was stretched out so far coming down an icy street with a decline, that I nearly plowed into the back end of a police car. He watched me slide through the intersection and nearly hit him, ABS pumping away like crazy; I was pumping the pedal, too. My tires would've had the chance to "bite" into the ice more w/o the ABS and I would've stopped much sooner, IMHO. The car stayed straight, though (no big deal when you can't stop soon enough). By comparison, my wife came down the same hill about 30 minutes later in her '95 Sentra GLE that doesn't have ABS, and she was able to stop at the intersection just fine, unlike me. Sure, her car got a little bit "squiggly" as she pumped the brakes, but w/o ABS, she was able to get the wheels on the Sentra to lock up some more and thus get the tires to bite into the ice more than my car could. Neither of us had winter tires at the time, and there were tire differences between her Sentra and the Integra.

I can't remember any tests done comparing identical vehicles, one with ABS and one without, to see what the stopping difference would be on various surfaces with professional drivers on board, just to see what a human is capable of vs. the ABS system. It would be interesting to have a test like that. There is a difference between the older single-channel ABS systems and the latest ones with their multiple channels. The older systems weren't as effective as the new systems are.
  • dguruswamydguruswamy Member Posts: 3
    In response to Sovie in 363, I too have the Sulpher problem in my 2001 Sentra SE which has less than 400 miles on it. It is transient... any word from the dealer on the cause?
  • dguruswamydguruswamy Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2001 Sentra SE with the Performance Package. I want to replace the crappy Firestone Firehawk tires that come standard with the car. I think road noise at speeds and cornering could be improved with a new set of tirs.

I living in Arlington, VA outside of DC so I need some tires that can perform in wet/icy conditions (e.g. no ultra-high performance tires). I also do not want to change the 17" cool alloy wheels that come standard with the car or lower the car.

Do the Town Hall readers have any suggestions for me?
    17" wheels on Sentra SE? When did this happen? You say they came standard, yet the only wheels that are available on Sentra SE are 15" and 16" with the Sport package.
    What don't you like other than the noise? Firehawk is a good tire, the firm ride and road noise is due to the sport nature of the tire and wheel type more than it is the brand.
    That said, I know more about tires and wheels than I do about the Sentra as I am considering buying one and do not yet have one. I would be interested if current Sentra owners also have complaints about the Firestone tires.
    The 16" tires and wheels with the performance package are all about style, there is no measureable difference between the 15" and 16" wheel and tire when it comes to performance. Also, both tires are H rated (130 MPH). Next higher level of performance is V rated which will take you to 149 MPH.
    The SE comes with 195/60HR15's. The SE with PP comes with 195/55HR16's. The increased performance from the 16" tires, if any, would be due to the lower profile (tire section height/tire width)
    My wife and I went to the local Nissan dealer today to look at Sentra colors again. I looked at all the SE's on the lot, not a single SE with the SE Perf.Pack. had the ABS/side bag package...there were 6-8 cars. However, I did see the ABS/side bag package on the "regular" SE. Maybe that package is rare on the SE with Perf. Package??? Well, we were planning on ordering one anyways, as they don't have color/transmission combo we're after. Just wanted to let you know what I saw since you mentioned it previously.

Dguruswamy, I'd have to agree with moparbad in that many low-profile performance tires are a bit on the noisy side. It has to do with the lower profile of the tire and many other factors, too. But, there are some low-pro tires that are a bit more quiet than others. I think the Firehawks are pretty good tires, but the Dunlop SP's and Michelin Pilots might be a bit more quiet. You'd have to call the TireRack for that specific info, they can outfit you properly and they're very good at tire and wheel knowledge; it's what they do best. There are some low profile tires that can do "double duty" for wet & dry, but you're not going to get good ice performance out of the same tire. You can't expect much winter performance out of all-season low profile tires. You could get some low-profile winter tires, though. You could have them mounted to another set of wheels for quick changes, or have them installed just before the cold months on your factory Nissan wheels. All season tires are like the old saying goes, "jack of all trades, master of none". All season tires work in all seasons, but don't excel in any one. I wish there was a tire that could do it all and do it well, I'd buy it!
  • callipcallip Member Posts: 1
    Bought my Sentra GXE 2001 as per following :

Automatic
    Convenience Pkg
    Luxury Pkg
    Floor Mats

Bought it for 14250 (inclusive of destination charges but exclusive of tax, license etc...incl that it cost me 15699) Think I did okay..but could have done better had I not gone to another dealership and come back to my original one which made me lose a couple of hundred bucks I believe...

Also was conned into buying extended warranty (75K miles) for 650 bucks...was that ok?!!

anyway, had a pretty terrible experience with Stevens Creek dealership...just wanted to let everyone know that...they got me really pissed with their attitude...

Thanks
    you bought the car for below invoice...great...i wonder why it cost you a couple of hundred dollars by going to another dealer, then coming back...

they have 3.9% financing here in ohio for sentras-- did you use that also?
  • luckylarluckylar Member Posts: 12
    Been away for a while so here is what the dealers have offered me for the Sentra and Altima. In the Tampa area at Christmas a SE Sentra w/o the moon roof $15,800 with $500. college discount. When asked for the $500 special running on TV he said applied only to the Maxima never said that on TV. I watched twice to make sure. Mad I walked out. In the Chicago area I went to 2 dealers today $1400 off invoice for the Altima. that is all. And get this $1400 off a 2000 Altima with a VOP. $16500 $100.oo more and a 2001 with a limited package. I know they are changing both cars next fall so alot of Sentra se are in the lots now. Let me tell you the only person in the dealers office was me , 10 salesmen 1 customer. I think the guy who fax his offer to some dealers with his list of options was the way to go. I hate dealing with make me an offer dealers
    What do you mean they'll change the Sentra next fall? It was all-new for 2000.
    the thing that is keeping SE's on dealer lots is the spoiler--- quite ugly.
    check the nissan web sites new engines for both cars and styles. I am only looking for two cars for the girls for college. I am going to try car direct and see if they got good prices or wait until after the Chicago auto show. The nissan dealer had all the SE sentra you could want any color or obtions was a shame we could get something.
    the nissan dealer in Tampa in chicago only 4 or 5 SE on the lot. in Tampa 30
    The Sentra will not be changed next year, a SE-R model will be added though. There will be two versions and it will have more aggresive aerodynamic add ons and 180HP motor. Chicago is not a big seller of import cars, selection is almost always better in the Sunshine states.
    Sorry for misspelling your name but the SE-R's are additional models to the Sentra lineup. The rest of the lineup should be relatively unchanged for three more model years.
  • flarearrowflarearrow Member Posts: 9
    I'm sorry if I'm posting this here on the Sentra discussion,
    but I'm really looking for some help from fellow Nissan owners
    with my bout with Nissan.

Hello all,
    I am a first time Nissan owner. I recently purchase a
    "new" 2001 Altima SE. Why do I have the word "new" in
    quotes? Allow me to continue with my story.

I took delivery of my "new" car in mid November 2000 from
    a Nissan dealership in New Jersey. (I live in New York.)
    For the first 2 weeks I've had the car in my possession
    I've been taking it easy on the gas pedal (no hard
    acceleration, keeping it under 55 mph) during the break
    in period. I wanted to break in the engine ASAP, so I
    can get to really feel the performance of the SE Altima.
    I was able to hit 1000 miles in 2 weeks by taking the
    car out everyday. Except for the fact that the wheel
    alignment was slightly off and a coolant leak (more
    about the infamous coolant leak later), the car seemed
    to run fine during the break in period. I figured
    to bring the car in after I fully broke in the engine
    so I can get the 1000 mile oil change and have the wheel
    alignment and coolant leak looked at the same time.

I brought my car in for service on Monday,
    December 4, 2000. I didn't get my car back until Monday,
    December 18, 2000!!! Eleven (11) business days!!!

WTF?!!!
    Ok, here comes the big question.... WHY?!!!

Later on the same day I brought the car in, I received a
    phone call from the Nissan service shop. It was the
    shop manager.... "Uh, I have some good news for you...
    You're going to need a new engine..."

WTF?!!! A new engine?!!!

Turns out the coolant leak was not coming from something
    simple like a loose hose clamp or leaky hose, but
    leaking from a crack in the engine block. (They like to
    call the engine block "pourous" rather than "cracked".)
    That's what I thought... a loose hose clamp. I saw the
    green stuff streaking on the engine block, but would
    have never imagined that it was coming from a cracked
    block.

Now you think something like this would get me a new
    replacement car, right? WRONG!!!

Oringinally they wanted to do something called a "welsh
    plug", basically making the crack bigger and drilling
    in a screw. Then they decided to give me a new iron
    block. Everything under the hood had to be gutted!

Then while disassembling the engine block, they also
    discovered that the aluminum head was defective when the
    mechanic pulled this bolt from the aluminum head that
    holds the sprocket for the timing chain, and the bolt
    came out striped, also stripping the inside treads in
    the head!!!

So now the iron block and the aluminum head has to be
    replaced.

Now tell me.... Would you want to own a new car with a
    defective engine that has to be completely replaced???
    And not only that, but have everything under the hood
    gutted (cooling system, ABS system, A/C system, tranny,
    suspension) and put back together by hand???

I've been calling the Nissan (does not) Care number...
    the 1-800-NISSAN-1
    I've called this number numerous times requesting I want
    the car replaced for another one. But they keep brushing
    me off by saying that they are doing everything according
    to law and honoring the warranty and saying that I'm not
    paying for these repairs.

BUT THIS IS NUTS!!! I am paying for it. I paid 20 1/2 K
    for this car after taxes. I paid to have the RIGHT to
    enjoy the new car experience. The main reason we buy
    new cars to begin with is to get away from the
    unreliabilty of our old one. I have a 1988 Camry V6 with
    almost 155K miles. Everytime I get into it, I always
    the nagging feeling in the back of my mind....
    "Will I be able to get there without being stranded on
    the NJ Turnpike?" or "Oh great. What's the next thing
    that's going to break on me?"

I've been robbed of the new car experience. I'm not
    driving a new car... it's a reburbished car with 1200
    miles on it. I still haven't really "driven" the car
    because I was breaking in the old engine, and now I'm
    still breaking in the "new" engine. I keep asking myself
    "Is this how my car is suppose to drive?" I don't know
    because I didn't even have the car long enough to find
    out.

I've called into the 1-800-NISSAN-1 since mid December
    2000 asking for some sort of compensation. (I'm still
    asking for a replacement.) Finally, my case went under
    review beginning Jan 2, 2001, and it was suppose to
    take 5 business days and someone was suppose to call me
    back. I didn't get any answer until the 7th business day,
    and I had to call them myself to find out!

This really IS the Nissan (does not) Care line. So many
    times they keep reiterating to me that I have the basic
    warranty... I'm not paying for the repairs... It's not
    in Nissan's policy to replace cars... My car does not
    qualify to be a lemon under the NY state Lemon Law.

But the point is I have a new car that had a defective
    engine in the very beginning. It's not something as
    simply like a headlamp burning out, or the wipers don't
    work. No repair shop does whole engine swaps everyday.
    Nissan tells me that they have master mechanics. If you
    boast that your mechanics are the best and brightest,
    then why after the repair was done I have an engine
    that's idling rough, my "idiot" lights on my dash
    lighting up as bright as the Rockefeller Christmas
    tree, some sort of oil leak streaking down the engine
    block, and everytime I hit a bump, it sounds like there
    is something that's not bolted down properly and I feel
    the front end is going to fall apart.

I brought the car back to the shop for some "fine
    tuning". Turns out the rough engine idle is due to
    the valves not opening and closing properly. And that