Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You can post the name of a dealer and/or dealership that gave you a good deal. It isn't against any Town Hall user agreements or anything. Matter of fact, it's nice to pass on a name. Word of mouth is the best advertising.
  • coolmecoolme Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering how it wud be to buy cars online. I plan to buy a Sentra and I checked www.greenlight.com. These guys have great prices and they have an option to deliver the Car for Free!!! Any Advices/Comments Welcome
  • nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    Check Carsdirect. I've heard from alot of people that have used it and they are pleased. normally they too have great prices and depending where you live, they can deliver it to your home or work.
  • lambosun00lambosun00 Member Posts: 9
    Ok folks....here is the list of my weekend exploits.

1) Chevy Mailbu V6....what was he thinking?

2) Volvo (old 860 T)

3) Modded Civic hatchback.....86 it looked like

Ps this weeekned wasn't all victory... modded Si beat me by half a car length. However, I am stock automatic. I will add a CAI and I am looking at NOS.....but I don't want to get too crazy just yet.
  • rsong1271rsong1271 Member Posts: 1
    I have one Sentra SE with automatic and right now I am using Shell premium gas and castrol synthetic oil. It seems like it is not so fuel efficient. Can anyone post any experience to improve my situation?
  • rbrightrbright Member Posts: 5
    lambosun00:

Nice going. I had my first race over the weekend -- a late 80's/early 90's Camero. To my surprise, I beat it handily.

rsong1271:
    Everything I've read suggests you are wasting your money and unnecessarily depleting oil reserves by using high octane gas in a car designed to run on low octane. Also, I'm averaging 25.76 MPG in mostly city driving, with occasional thrashing on the engine. I'm pretty pleased with these numbers.
  • fisher7fisher7 Member Posts: 3
    We have a new 2000 GLX and find the standard motor to be more than adequate even at our high altitude.The most amazing thing to me is the passing power in third ,fourth, and even fifth gear. The variable valve timing is remarkable.The maximum torque is at 2700 rpm.The SE is at 4700 rpm.Dont get me wrong, for the same price I would get the SE.We had a NX 2000 and we really liked the motor.We are getting 32 to 37 miles to the gallon with agressive driving.We paid 14,000 with the mag wheels and split seat packages then bought the spoiler for 275 installed.This car is a real improvement over our 200SX and it will blow the doors off a Jetta for 3500 less.
  • lambosun00lambosun00 Member Posts: 9
    Hey there,

I am using Amoco Premium. What do you guys(gals) run in your SE and why?
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    Nothing but Chevron regular 87 octane in my 2000 SE....never any pinging or performance issues.
  • aswhiteaswhite Member Posts: 1
    I have test-driven 2 manual Sentra GXEs. Both had vibrations in the gear-stick such that I felt like I'd been holding a massager after only a short 4-mile test-drive. One dealer told me not to rest my hand on it while I drove. DUH, OK for the numb feeling, but what about what might be actually going on in the transmission or elsewhere and creating this 'feedback'? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Suggestions?

(My 92 Saturn SL1 with 139,000 miles NEVER had this vibration "problem.")
  • jasabrajasabra Member Posts: 3
    I believe what you're feeling is known as "torque kickback." When I test drove an Altima, it was very noticeable. Apparently, it has to do with the transmission being mounted directly on the engine block (or something like that) and it's normal for Nissans.
    After much research and consideration, I purchased (4) 215-50-YR16 BF Goodrich KD/W tires
    from www.tirerack.com for my 2000 SE. The price and service, as always, was unbeatable from the TireRack. Ordered tires at 10:00 AM, got order confirmation at 10:10 AM by e-mail, got the normal "are you sure these are the tires you want" phone call from their customer rep at 11:15AM, and got the shipping confirmation via e-mail at 3:15PM. These tires are shipping from Nevada via UPS and will be on my doorstep by tomorrow afternoon or Friday morning.
    Total, including $29 shipping: $397. Cost to have the local tire shop mount and balance tires: $45
    These KD/W's are fantastic tires that were developed from Goodrich's racing tire, with wet adhesion elements added for use in the rain. NOT a snow tire. (I'd use the KD/W/S tire that just came out for snowy areas of the country.) I'll post my driving experience after using them next week.
    -quark
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I am looking forward to see the results. Could you, please, pay attention not just on handling and performance, but also on noise level and driving comfort. Another question is, are you going to use the same rims? Aren't they too narrow for 215?
    Your information will be truly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
  • tomes2tomes2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 Nissan Sentra Se 2 months ago. It has the performance package and a sunroof. I have had problems with the sunroof whistling while I'm driving on the freeway. We don't get much rain in my area so I do not know if the roof leaks, but it does seem wet on the inside below the seal. I took the car to the dealership and was told they checked the seal and it is fine (I have to take it back again so they can do a water check on it). I could buy an extra wind reflector for $100 + labor. Is this something I will have to deal with from now on? The whistle can get louder than my radio! Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • jl30jl30 Member Posts: 11
    Tomes2 - Do you have the whistling while the sunroof closed or open? Every sunroof has the whistling sound while it is open. you could reduce the whistling by installing the deflector. $100 + labor is BS. You could get it from www.nissanaccessories.com for $40.80 + shipping and it is a DIY job. You could install it in 30 minutes. I install it in my 99'SE and it's great and reduced the noise significantly.
  • siddiqmsiddiqm Member Posts: 1
    I've recently turned in my order for a 2000 sentra se, ice cap/w perf. package. Now the dealer tells me that the factory cannot provide the ice cap color, and also by getting the performance package, I'll not be able to get the sand interior. Apparently the only interior color I can get with the perf package is midnight? Can anyone tell me if this is true? And also, I turned in my order to the dealership mid july, and was told september. Is this really going to take that long? I'd really appreciate some responses! Thanks
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for your info. BTW, do tires still fit nicely under the car, or they pop outside the body? Also, can you still make complete turns left/right without rubber scratching the body?
    52 psi in all 4 tires! Stupid, stupid, tire-hangers at the local Big-O! I could've been killed, or worse! OK, now, after reducing tire pressure to 33 front, 30 rear...gone is the harsh impact over bumps and the slight control issues at low speeds...no wonder!
    The tires look completely normal and do not "bulge" outside of the rims. Lock-to-lock turns do not rub...
    With the correct pressure, cornering is improved over yesterday's experience, as well.
    Good luck if you decide to upgrade to these tires, I highly recommend doing it-the car's look, feel, and performance aspects are greatly improved. Also, the new rubber has the same treadwear rating as the OEM stuff-300.
    -quark
  • stevieweevystevieweevy Member Posts: 12
    Hello. this is the first time i have posted any message but have been reading this room for months. I live in southeren California. I have noticed very few, 2 exactly, 2000 sentras on the road. Lots of focus', civics, corrolas, and neons, but almost no 2000 sentra. I am wondering why as i was considering buying one but no one else seems to be. Any ideas. I have read many posts from canada, but none from california.
  • rayp8893rayp8893 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had any problems with their Air Conditioner. I have a 2000 SE with about 1000 miles on it. I took it on a trip recently and the A/C froze up and stopped working altogether. The fan was on low and I had been driving for about 3 hours into a 6 hour trip. The air coming out of the dash gradually got warmer and warmer. At a rest stop I checked under the hood. There was actually ice buildup on the A/C lines. The A/C never really came back for the duration of that trip, but it worked OK the next day.

The A/C has worked OK since then, but I'm wondering if this is going to be a regular occurrence on long trips. Has anyone else experienced this problem.
  • adorableadorable Member Posts: 9
    A couple ideas pop to mind...

1. The rest have been out a few years longer.
    The latest Sentra just came out. And competing with the prior Sentra model didn't make life good for Nissan.
    In test ratings, the car magazines have picked the others above the prior Sentra model, thus giving it few chances here.
    "The Mentality-being, what?! Yo stupid? Don't know better than to buy the best rated cars?!"
    With the huge number of freeway miles people cover here, it becomes an important thing to pick a better car (both in ratings and reliability) or you'll get the harsh stare of fellow workers wondering why you're late again because you're car broke down.

2. Better marketing.
    It could be that people like the ads (print and video) from Honda, Ford, and Toyota more.
    Also, Nissan has never managed to associate the Sentra with more than just a 'cheap buy' in the minds of many potential buyers, whereas Honda, Ford, and Toyota have managed to 'upscale' their cars successfully. Certainly, even buying a Honda Civic here in California acquires you a certain 'ooh, nice' that you don't get with the cheaper cars, like the Hyundai's.
    The compact tuner magazines have also contributed towards this image by tossing cuties on Hondas and Fords, but few Nissans on their front covers - not to mention there are much more parts for Hondas than Nissans so their focus is naturally thus biased.
    also, an ailing parent company (Nissan) means fewer ad dollars = fewer sales = crumbling market share. a nice, tidy sales blackhole they're desperately trying to climb out of right now (and not just here! Same is true in home town Japan as well.)

3. Better styling.
    It could be that people like the styling of the other cars more. eg. the big-eyed Civic headlights are well-known in the design industry as one of the Civic's strongest selling points.
    You see a Ford or Honda and it is distinctive. See a Nissan (esp. prior model) and it could well disappear in the eyes of the younger buyers here.

Go further into head/tail design, and you'll see that the 'faces' they look like will affect whether the buyers 'like' these cars more or less.
    (again, those big eyes up front on Civics sell those babys - take them away and they'd never sell as well)

4. More performance upgrade parts for the Hondas.

5. Better feel/ergonomics.
    Subjective, but lots of people love that 'Toyota' feel from everything about the feel of the plastic dash to the silky click of the switches to the feel of the seat and floor fabrics and will pick their next car based on that alone.
    Nissans tend to vary in their feel, and they don't seem as 'rich/good/nice/comfy/durable' as the Toyota/Honda feel to some people.
    It may be that better ergonomics does it for some as well. Maybe a seat that is just a bit higher so shorter chicks can see out easier. Maybe it's they don't put the trunk release up front when everyone expects it down there. Maybe it's because the outside mirror controls are easier to use than the pad-on-a-stalk thing in the latest Sentra.

6. Better roadfeel.
    Double-wishbone suspension in the Hondas coupled with low hood = less of a cramped, can't see the road feeling. Maybe people buy a lot based on that as well as the better handling.

7. Better suspension feedback and quiteness.
    The Corolla probably gets a lot of people on the fact that they're well controlled over the usual freeway/road bumps, and decently quiet handling such. That is before the latest Sentra arrived...

8. Everyone else has one.
    People follow the pack. With Toyota & Honda already entrenched, friends buy what their friends drive.

9. Very good service and reliability.
    Dealership service and high reliability ratings push Toyota and Honda ahead. People swear by how long they last and run w/o trouble or breakdown. With Nissan's, it's touch and go. (Of course, the Honda's don't have the metal drive belt the Nissan's have, so they get stranded by the roadside when those break ;)
    While some of this is imaginary word-of-mouth, it does a lot to paint a rosier picture in their minds.

10. Their parents don't drive Nissans.
    More people drive Toyotas, Hondas & Fords than Nissans (same goes with sales ranks here, too).
    Mommies and Daddies probably already drive a Camry, Accord, or Taurus (how many Maximas do you see vs. those?), and they are more likely to return to their dealers to buy up a Toyota, Honda, Ford for their kids because of their past experiences with their own cars.
    With the high resale value of Hondas, extremely good reliability of Camrys, and just widespread sales of Taurus', these all provide them with reasons to buy the same brand for their kids.

11. Much higher resale values for Hondas.

12. No visible people in their Sentra ads.
    People connect with people driving cars, not just the cars alone. that's why the Volkswagen ads are great - they showcase the 'adventures' people have in/with their VWs. Not just a solitary Sentra spinning around gleamin in the light.
    If nothing else, just toss in Britney or NSync and watch sales jump.

13. In the end, Nissan needs to realize it should first sell to the heart before it can sell a lot.

In its current ads, it doesn't sell much more than 'our car is roomier and bigger'. (Yes, it puts in that it isn't Republican, but who in their right minds would try politics to sell to the <30, mostly non voting, primary buyer age group?!)

Not safer. Not cuter. Not more reliable than the competition.

Nothing there to really reassure the buyers their getting a great car, or that it's really sexy. Only thing you get is a just a great buy - ie. a lot of car for the money - which is something that won't sell many cars here in California, where a crappy car will kill your image (other drivers go 'yawn') and chances at a girlfriend (thinks 'cheapskate!!'), not to mention make you target of jokes of your friends (yo! didn't have enough $$ to buy a 'real' car, eh? Now just where are you gonna get parts to upgrade it now?).

And certainly nothing like the 'oooooh, nice!' image you get when you've just bought a nice new BMW 3 series and go cruising.

(We're talking about the <30 crowd here that'll mostly buy these subcompacts for their first ride that's the primary selling target market for these makers.)

Also, what's up with mentioning Jerry at all? You don't wanna associate a <30 crowd with a >50 year ol' designer. He's got zip/nothing/nada to do with selling cars (and we sure dont' wanna 'associate' ourselves with him/his age group/beliefs/etc/.), and should be tossed altogether. (damn, if it's just a face they want, just toss in a cute model instead)

It's lifestyle that we wanna see, not an aging designer.

Not just that, the music they play isn't edgy/new enough for a lot of the younger buyers (like who listens to that old'PopDaddy music?!). Something harsher and newer, esp.for the California crowd.

If nothing else, at least showcase the SE model ripping rubber past yo all on screen! If the music ain't cutting it, at least a few crazy hairpins and 360s doing something Leathal Weapon-ish will do just fine at selling mo cars.

d =)
  • dcguydcguy Member Posts: 2
    Nike, Voc,

I wasn't serious about tricking people but I do know that most folks can't tell the difference.

I liked the pictures, thanks. I gotta tell you though, the SE and G20 really do look alike, the differences are minimal.

I have 2,500 miles on my SE now. I changed the oil and filter at 2,008 miles. I'm now letting the speed go to 70 mph and the engine rev to 4,000.

I am in the market for a wood trim kit. There are a couple places that advertise in the back of Car and Driver that offer Sentra wood panel dress up kits. Any comments on these?

Also, I have had a couple negative comments about the Mattel-look to the heater and air conditioning controls.
  • skay2skay2 Member Posts: 10
    I called the parts dealer at Nissan to ask about getting splash guards on my recently purchased Sentra GXE. $80 plus $54 to install them. "No way", I said. I told him I would buy some over the counter splash guards. However, I do not see holes in the car to install splash guards into. And, I certainly won't be drilling holes. Anyone with feedback or ideas? Thanks.
  • fpm2fpm2 Member Posts: 13
    I just picked up the latest issue of AutoWeek (or something like that). It's a new magazine that's been on the news stands here in NYC for the last few months. They test drove the Sentra SE w/ the 5-speed and were disappointed with the 0-60 & quarter mile runs. They said they had to work hard to get the 0-60 time down to 9.3 seconds and the quarter mile down to 16.8 seconds at 81 mph. I understand that each car may perform slightly different and each car magazine may come up with slightly different times, but we're talking about 1.3-1.4 seconds slower to 60 than other magazines. Anyone want to explain that?
  • bigsmoothbigsmooth Member Posts: 14
    Maybe they forgot to take the E-brake off. :Þ
    well if its a new magazine, maybe they have new drivers that can't drive stick shift and mess up the shifting.
  • fishbookfishbook Member Posts: 5
    after hassling, the price we got is 13400, including convenience package, floor mats and destination charge. you are invited to comment on this. thanks!
  • fpm2fpm2 Member Posts: 13
    Ok, I'm ready to buy my sentra se, but I haven't test driven a 5-speed yet (a little backwards, huh?). I've come to the conclusion that because of the lack of sentras, I'm not going to get the color and options that I want (at least 2000's). In addition, each dealer I went to told me that they sell all of their Sentras at MSRP. Someone explain to me how CarsDirect has the car for just about invoice, yet they basically get their cars from dealers. Do dealers have some kind of agreement with CarsDirect? Also, I've heard from time to time here complaints about the buzzy shifter. I'm sure I'll find out when I test drive the car, but can anyone verify whether this exists or doesn't exist. And finally, are there any changes at all in 2001?

Thanks
    No changes for 2001 because it was just redesigned for 2000. And you don't just pay what the dealer asks. You compare prices between a couple dealers. Also, read right here at Edmund's about buying a new car and all so you don't get screwed. And you should NOT pay MSRP for ANY car unless it's a very popular one and in VERY low numbers. The dealer was lying to you about that too.
  • sentrabuyersentrabuyer Member Posts: 3
    I finally got my car...I managed to get the gxe w/ the luxury package in radium for $13750. Actually, I had gotten an additional $500 off since I am a recent college grad so the car was actually $14250. I'm extremely happy with the car so far..it's so smooth. The coin box is very annoying..it's been pulled out twice in the five days that I've owned this car. The map lights don't work too well sometimes. But these are pretty minor...everything else is great!
  • rberusrberus Member Posts: 25
    well, pending finance approval (dad works for nissan dealership-they are trying to push through lower financing for me), i will have a 2000 sentra se in heatwave, every option except the 6cd changer.

this dealer has approx 30 sentras, mostly gxe's. they had 1 se, with no options, and they had to trade it with a dealer to get my car.

they did say the se's are very hard to get ahold of!
  • rbrightrbright Member Posts: 5
    Hey Gang,

Will someone please confirm or deny that the Sentra SE has 4-wheel ABS? I know some manufactures employ a 2-wheel ABS system, and would like to know which one my Sentra has. The two dealers I've called we're less than helpful.

fpm2 -- I have no complaints with my shifter. I've not noticed it to be buzzy.
    No car has ever had 2-wheel ABS, only trucks. An yes, the Sentra has 4-wheel ABS brakes with side air bags as included with that option.
  • fishbookfishbook Member Posts: 5
    Hi Sentrabuyer,

Could you tell me about the graduate program or where I can find information regarding this? Based on what I've heard so far, the cash back is $750. Thanks!
  • p365p365 Member Posts: 1
    The 205/50ZR-16 Bridgestone Potenza RE730's purchased from the TireRack this week, mounted on the stock wheels, have transformed the driving experience of my 2000 Sentra SE (with Performance Package). I strongly recommend this $388.00 "miracle" to those still suffering from the severe limitations imposed on the Sentra SE's otherwise competent handling by the stock Firestone Firehawk GTA tires. I was pleasently surprised with the Potenza's quiet and comfortable ride. The Potenza's grip for cornering and stopping is supurb.
  • compupsychcompupsych Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone heard when the SE-R version of the Sentra will be available? Any stats?

Thanks...
  • sentrabuyersentrabuyer Member Posts: 3
    The college graduate program applies to people who've graduated recently...within this year I think. You'll have to finance thru the nissan dealer though..the interest varies btwn. 3.9% to 6.9%. All you have to do is show your diploma to them and get approved for the financing. It would be better not to bring up the grad program till later (almost closing the deal) so the dealers don't factor that in your discount..this cashback doesn't affect what profit they make out of the car.
  • bashman3bashman3 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone here recently leased a sentra? Im planning on getting a se 5 spd with the sport package. Probably about 2500 down. Can someone tell me what I would be paying with the tax. This would be in the southern california area.

Thanks
    the graduate programs are usually graduated within the last 2 yrs or 6months-1 yr away. also applies to people in Grad school.
  • wazappawazappa Member Posts: 32
    I just received my rear stabilizer bar from Stillen. I will be putting it on the car tonight...an SE 5spd with perf. package. Has anyone else added a bar? If so what results did you notice. I will report my results tomorrow.
    Has anyone attempted to change a bulb on the 2000 SE foglamps yet. I tried to follow the instructions in the owners manual but failed to get to the bulbs. Any ideas on how to get them out? I guess I may have to go ask the service dept.
    During second attempt got to the bulbs. Owners manual not very clear on the procedure.
    Did a bulb fail, or did you want to add brighter bulbs? My feeling on my SE is that the regular headlights are very good for an economy sedan, but that the fogs could be better...
    thanks-quark
    I wanted brighter bulbs and a true fog light yellow. I put in PIAA ion bulbs. I feel that they are much brighter and cast a yellow tint on the ground.
  • tjsentjsen Member Posts: 9
    Hello. I recently purchased a 5 spd SE with the Perf. Package. I now have 1,200 Miles and didn't exceed 4,000 rpm until 1,000 miles. However, about 50% of the time now it is "difficult" to move the shift lever into 1st gear. I know the manual says to go to Neutral and then work the clutch, but sometimes this does not help very much. My wife learned how to drive a stick with this car, but she only stalled a total of about 10 times and I have driven 95% of the miles. All of the other gears are easy to select. Is this normal for Nissan trans. or a linkage problem?? Thanks.
  • tailplanetailplane Member Posts: 7
    Let me see, you purchased a new SE 5-Speed, then proceeded to allow your spouse to learn how to drive a stick on it.

You are a brave soul indeed.

Sounds like a linkage adjustment to me.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • tjsentjsen Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the advice. I'm still not sure if it is me just being paranoid though. Today on the way to work it was only difficult move the lever into 1st only once. It definately is not a problem all the time.
  • happyman1happyman1 Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone know if the new color "INFERNO" (which replaces Heatwave) is a different color or just a different name? Thanks.
  • billyleebillylee Member Posts: 9
    From the former posts, I found none of you guys chose such options. Do I need to select them?
  • billyleebillylee Member Posts: 9
    I will graduate next summer. Can I still get that $500 or $750 cash rebate?

Or, if I have got the offer from one company, can I get the rebate?