Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 300

Comments

• pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Edmund's road test of the 2001 IS 300 is now available. It's currently being featured on Edmund's home page. Here's the direct link:
    2001 Lexus IS 300, by Brent Romans. .

Happy motoring. ;-)

Pocahontas,
    Town Hall Roving Host
  • dwclarkejrdwclarkejr Member Posts: 6
    my car landed in port newark yesterday. 5-8 days until it's at the dealer!!!!
  • seattlesheilaseattlesheila Member Posts: 68
    So, let us know how it is! That's exactly the same one (color and all) I would love to own. I'll check for your message when I return from Europe on September 25th.
  • drzuldrzul Member Posts: 8
    The dashboard gets hot (inluding engine heat in the footwell)?? this was mentioned by somebody. Any comments? We dont have IS300 here so my IS200 will be delivered next month, but being in a country with a hot climate, a cool interior would be nice

Zul
  • syellownsxsyellownsx Member Posts: 16
    I have no problems with the footwell area heating up. I have my car parked in the sun ALL DAY at work (silver w/black interior), I just start up the car, the AC is set at 75, and I'm perfectly fine. I also have the vent control set to dash vents only.
  • drzuldrzul Member Posts: 8
    Thanks. BTW that's what I'm gonna get as well.. silver with black interior
  • cole01cole01 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone seen a white one yet?? Local dealer hasn't got one in yet and it was between that and the blue. How does white with black interior look??? Thanks....
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    We've had a few white ones in so far. Generally, most of them have been white/ivory but we got our first 2 with the black interiors in.

One was pre-sold, and the other lasted 36 hours! Amazingly, the Black interior has been doing very well for us (Im in Orlando, FL)

It really looks nice. The Pearl effect on the White paint really looks sharp on that car. However, like they say, you really ought to see one first yourself!

Bill
    I went back to the dealership this weekend...took a test drive...and ended up with an IS300. Turned out that the dealer had ordered all of them with sunroofs...and the factory made a mistake and sent 6 without. In only four days 4 of them were sold. I had my choice between the blue/black or silver/black interior and took the blue one at a decent discount off the sticker, since the owner had told the sales guys to get rid of the odd balls. I'll pick it up when I return from Europe the last week of September.
  • engbarthengbarth Member Posts: 8
    I am considering the Auburn with Black interior and love the feel of the car. Two quick questions for anyone that will comment:

1) I live in Denver. If I add snow tires to the car will I have a problem driving this car in the snow. I have never driven a rear wheel drive auto.

2) Since the car is so new, are they willing to take anything off MSRP? For most cars (even the 2001s) you can easily get 1/2 way between invoice and sticker?

THANKS!!!!
  • mike_542mike_542 Member Posts: 128
    Recently, I test drove the Lexus IS300. It is an interesting car, but I was dissapointed of some disadvantages. I am an owner of the Lexus LS400, and ES300, and I expect luxury from every Lexus. But the IS300's back seat is simply cramped and poorly shaped, while the ergonomics of the dashboard is terrible. Everything is too busy, and the buttons are hard to understand. The sun shines in the way of all the controls.

Anyways, the ride was extremely harsh. This usually means that it has firm chassis for good handling. But I was even more dissapointed that the IS300 didn't handle as good as the smoother 330i with the sport package. The car doesn't understeer a lot, but it is hard to position it. The steering is not accurate enough. This and other complaints contribute to marginal handling.

But of course this car is more affordable than the 3 series, but is still a poor value. Overall, I would prefer the 330i over the IS300 because of the more refined comfort, better performance, and much better ergonomics.
  • lxownrlxownr Member Posts: 16
    I too have owned Lexus's and I love them; However, I totally agree with your statement.
    I wanted a IS300 for months and when they came to the dealership, I was excited for my first test drive..what a disappointment! No lumbar support at all, very little luxury, and was not that impressed with the handling. My wife also liked the BMW better, so we bought the 323I. I still think Lexus makes fantastic automobiles,however I do not believe the IS300 is the BMW killer as the media said it to be.....
    I've never owned a front-wheel drive! (It's true!) ...Well, we don't have a lot of snow in Seattle, but what I have done in the past and will do with my IS 300 is fill up the gas tank and add about a 100 lb. bag of sand to the trunk. This puts more weight over the drive wheels. If I lived in Denver, I'd put the snow tires/studded tires on too. It's not really worth it here unless one wants to go skiing up in the Cascades. If it snows, it's usually over in a day or two down here at sea level. Ice is a worse issue and I don't think it matters what you drive in that case...it's better to get the bus.
    I know you!!! You are the BMW salesman I spoke with a few weeks ago!!!!!Shame on you.........
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    I agree with most of your post. If I had to choose between an IS300 and a 330i, it would be no contest for me, I'd take the 330i. But I'm not the target buyer of either really, since I like something roomier.

I don't think the IS300 ride is as bad as you say though. I think the ride fits the target. The car is a quick, light, and aggressive car with good handling and fabulous brakes. It's what young people would like the Integra R to be.

I don't care for the 'funky' interior, either. The 3 series is definitely more refined and 'softer' in many ways, but it's obviously quite a bit more expensive too.

The IS is a lot of fun to drive though!

Once again, something for everyone.
    Well,

If you live in the snowbelt, it's important to order the limited slip. Combine that with the standard traction control and you'll do ok

IF YOU GET SNOWS!

OK, so maybe you live where snow is quite infrequent and when it happens, light (Say, Kentucky or TN)

But if you live in Colorado, get a set of snows. If I recall, Michelin and/or Pirelli makes H-Rated snow tires in the IS's size. I have used them before on my '95 Jaguar (Pirelli Winter 210Ps.. but the have been supercedes) when I still lived in NJ and they work very well. Unlike a lot of the low-rated snows, such as Blizzaks, they are also decent in the dry. The Blizzaks made my Jag handle worse than a Town Car!

Bill
    Glad I'm in Orlando now... :)
  • 90maxima90maxima Member Posts: 14
    Ladies and Gentlemen:

I agree with a lot of the issues discussed in ths forum and would like to add my two cents to the running commentary.

I attened the Lexus Peformance test drive event in L.A. and was really impressed with the handling and braking abilities of the IS. I was less impressed with its acceleration and felt that it was no where near the advertised 7.1 sec 0-60 time. My observation was confirmed by both MT and R&T, where the 0-60 time were listed as 7.5 sec. Nevertheless, because I really like the style of the IS, I placed my order and waited for the car to arrive.

While I waited for the car, I also test drive the Acura CL Type S. I was impressed with its power, and all the luxury offered by the car.

I finally decided to stop the wait and went to my local Lexus dealer yesterday and offered them to split the difference between MSRP and invoice. As they are willing to offer me a mere $500 off MSRP, they stand to profit over $4000 on the purchase (the selling price was over $34000 with leather and sunroof as the only options). Failing to understanding the logic of giving up $2000 on the sale, and the additional profit from servicing the car after the sale, I asked for my deposit back and will purchase the Acura CL Type S this comming weekend.

The L.A. dealers are selling the CL-S with navigation system at about $31500. I'll enjoy the big screen home entertainment theater with the money saved from buying the Acura. Thanks Lexus!
    Well,

Really pricing is determined by market truthfully.
    I always suggest that you buy the car that you really like.

At my store, we sell IS300s as fast, if not faster, than we can get them. We have at least 40% of our incoming units sold. So there's no need to discount. It's not a matter of a dealer being greedy, it's a business decision. If you can sell your product for $X, Why then sell it for $X - $2,000?

Bill
  • trucklovertrucklover Member Posts: 51
    what is the average age of Is300 buyers for your store? Any Idea?

Are folks buying them for their kids? are there many young folks buying them? Any older folks? are the mostly males? females? etc.

I would appreciate knowing. there is a theory (mine) that IS300 buyers are younger in general than BMW3 buyers.

Thanks Bill!

Truck
  • enigmaoneenigmaone Member Posts: 128
    trucklover,

of course IS300 buyers are going to be younger than 3-series buyers. But the average age isn't going to in the 25 year old range as you would like everyone to believe.
    According to my local Lexus dealer, not many "young" people have purchased the IS300. Alot of people in and around 30 yrs. of age have purchased them though. And thats just what Lexus was aiming for!
    Well, trucklover, I'm 42 today and this IS300 is my first NEW car. (Bought it last Saturday.) I wanted a quality car that would be fun to drive and promises, when properly taken care of, to give me years of reliable service. I could finally afford it, so I indulged. My second childhood is gonna be a blast! :)
  • trucklovertrucklover Member Posts: 51
    have fun! you picked a good one! what color?

truck
  • mkynardmkynard Member Posts: 16
    You know I've said a lot of bad things about the BMW 3 series, and 1 bad thing about the Acura CL. The truth is there all great cars. The reason the IS will appeal to a younger age group is because of more modern styling. It's different. The BMW 3 will usually tend to draw older clientele because BMW has been around for years. The people in their mid 30's and 40's had the BMW permanently embedded in their brains as the dream car of an era. I think you're going to start seeing the age group of IS purchasers move closer to 35-40. I say this because look at what SeattleSheila had to say, the rebels of the late 50's and 60's will all be IS owners trying not fall into the mainstream of BMW ownership.
    Bill:

The dealer in question ended up not making a single penny because they did not make the sale. The same dealer, by virtue of proximity to my residence, also lost years of maintenance dollars the car would bring in the future. The same may also be said about the additional car allocation - more sales = more cars. As my father owns a LS400, and I am in the target group for the IS300, they have just ended the prospect of attracting the next generation of Lexus buyer.
    Well,

We're seeing a lot of people my ageand younger looking at them (I'm 25) But the youngest person that I have sold one to so far has been a 24 year old.

Problem is, not a lot of very young people (18-22) are in a financial position to buy one. And we have delivered a couple to people whose parents have bought the car for them.

I did get a 21-yr old approved for one, but he couldnt swallow the payment I dont think...

90maxima,

Like anything else, it's the prevailing market that determines pricing. There are tons of examples of this where demand outstrips supply.

Bill
  • blindsideblindside Member Posts: 2
    I just drove an IS300, and while I liked it, I found that it was not as quick as some of the paper numbers make it out to be. I have yet to drive the BMW/Audi/MB list of usual suspects, but I have a feeling I'll give them a closer look as a result of my dealer's arrogance in terms of pricing.

I would have been ready to purchase the IS had the price been right. I was looking at a model loaded with everything save the "stainless steel" wheels, and I was looking for a 36-month lease. The salesperson did her vanishing act -- "hafta go talk to my sales manager" BS -- and came back with $535/month with 15,000 miles. When I asked her for the residual value after 36 months and the money factor used in calculations, she did not know the figures. She tells me her manager took $1000 off sticker.

She would not go further down towards invoice, as "this is a new car and we don't do that." Hmm. Seeing how the IS is competing against a formidable (stronger?) list of European contenders, I'm not sure this premium price approach is the best route to market penetration and entrenchment.

I'll see what BMW offers in the way of the 3-series; ditto for Audi's S4.

blindsidE
    blindside,

Again, supply & demand prevails. The car is hot and dealers don't have them, so you end up paying.
    Its not arrogance, its the way of the world! Its really quite easy to understand why cars sometimes cost you full sticker and why most of the time you get a discount.

Do have to side with you on one point. The salesperson you got was a fool, if she didn't give you the information you wanted.
    90Maxima,

Its supply & demand!
  • blindsideblindside Member Posts: 2
    I'd agree if the dealer I went to didn't have the same eight IS300's on their lot as they did 20 days ago. In fact, while I was there, I overheard a guy walk out saying with some annoyance, "for THAT price I'll get the Bimmer." Dunno what he was talking about, but he got out of the showroom IS300 before looking at some numbers his salesperson gave to him.

I understand supply and demand, but I also understand artificial demand. If the cars are selling at minimal discount, then OK. If Lexus THINKS the cars should be selling at minimal discount, that's another story. Uprooting BMW is no easy chore, and giving little price margin to work with is surely turning away prospective buyers.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    I agree. Next summer, I'll be in the market for either a 325i or an IS300. Unless the IS with the manual tranny really blows my socks off (which it might, but I won't know until it gets here), I'll only get it if it is significantly cheaper than the Bimmer. I know that's just me, but I think others feel the same way.
    Part of why I don't want to pay full MSRP is that for every other Lexus on the lot (and most other cars) you can get (easily) about 1/2 way between invoice and MSRP. On the IS300 (fully loaded) that equates to around $2500.

My thought is that at some point they will be willing to deal on these cars. So what if I have to wait a few months. $2500 extra equates to about $50-$60 more per month when purchasing (5 year loan - $3000 to $3600). We can afford the extra, but why should we. Also, On an ES300 (which I am not interested in but looked at pricing just for comparison sake), you can get about $3500 off sticker (even closer to invoice).

I am meeting with the dealer tonight, but really think that I may wait until all of the excitement
    cools down a bit.
    I do concur with you all on the supply and demand theory on the IS300. However, like blindside pointed out, the dealers are starting to have cars on the lot. The one I went to had two red ones, three white ones, and three black ones. It would appears that the supply is catching up with the demand. Engbarth noted, as I did too, that all other Lexus may be had at $2000 to $3000 discount from MSRP. As my patience had just ran out with the Lexus dealer, and that Acura is offering a better equipped and faster car, I'll vote on the supply and demand theory with my wallet.

With regard to IS300 vs BMW 3 series, the performance of IS is not quite up to par yet (according to all the car magazines). However, Lexus needs to look at who else is in the mix in the fight with the Ultimate Driving Machine. The Acura CL Type S offers a lot more luxury, the navigation system, and cost about $3000 less! The CL Type S even beat the 3-series according to one of those car magazine, something that IS could not claim.
    Can anyone tell me how much BMW is discounting their 3 series? In terms of Invoice and MSRP.
    The best I have heard is about $2,000 off sticker. More likely, you're looking at $500 to $1,000 off sticker. Some dealers are sticking to MSRP, too. You really can't negotiate one of them up from invoice, it's usually down from MSRP (not really that far down, either). They sell every one of them, though.

You should still try, though. You never know. Your dealer might be one of the ones willing to discount more than the others.
    On what you were looking at. Was that a 328 or 330? What options did you want, etc.?
    The first was a 328i, then I read up on the info provided for the 330. They added quite a bit of money for packages. For example, the premium package was I believe $3800.00, upgraded sound system was maybe a grand etc. My thinking was when I compared options, the 328 had more of them but not 7k plus more. And then I felt like if I were going to pay 40K on a 3 year lease, why not get the loaded Lincoln LS with the sport package for less? what do you think?
    I'll be looking at the 325i. It is several thousand $ cheaper and you really don't lose much at all (about 20 hp and other small things, that's all). I've priced the 323i and it comes out to about $33k MSRP loaded just the way I would want it. I expect the 325i to be about the same (maybe a few hundred more, but not a lot). That is right in line with the IS, from what I've read. I know the manual IS300's are not out yet, but a manual 323i does 0-60 in 7.1 sec. I expect the 325i to drop a tick or two off that (hopefully high 6's). So even though the IS300's hp ratings are up there with the 330, I don't think it could really keep up with a 330 (auto vs. auto). I see the 323/325 as the IS's main competition. Similar performance, similar price.
    FYI... I looked at the BMW last weekend. Based on what I read, you really need to compare the 330 to the IS300. The 325 (and 323) are not as powerful as the 330 and IS300. The 325 (about 175 hp) will be more powerful than the current 323 line. The 330 has 225 horsepower.

If you load up the 330 (to be comparable to the IS300 in options), the MSRP is over $41,000. I also looked at the price of a fully loaded 325 (which isn't quite out in the US). It came to $36,500 with all the equivalent options (this price does not include AWD).

The problem with BMW is that EVERYTHING is optional and that really causes the price to skyrocket. The dealer was a "no haggle" dealer so negotiating was not even an option. They also have no inventory and you basically end up ordering the car which could take several months depending on what you are looking for. I did really like the BMW, but cannot justify paying that much extra.
    So you were at Ralph Schomp, huh? That's where I'll get my 325 next summer (if I get a 325). I thought they were great and they do give you 3% off MSRP (about $1,000 off a 3 series), which is not bad at all. My wife also has a 2000 I30 we just got at Infiniti of Denver. You can't go wrong with either one. She would have gotten the 323i, though, if it had a bigger back seat.

Did you drive the 323i? I know it only has 170 hp, but it feels like an awful lot more than that. That's why I said it is a better comparison to the IS. The 330 with 225 hp is faster than the IS300 with 215 hp. For pure acceleration, the IS is probably between the 323 and 330. Price-wise, the 323 stacks up much better with the IS as well.
    Yep - I was at Ralph Schomp. That is good to know that they will take off a little from MSRP. I actually drove the 330. After looking at prices, I pretty much decided that I didn't want to pay the extra money for the 330. When I asked the salesman if he had anything comparable to the 325, he said no that the 323 wouldn't have as much power and the 330 had a lot more. He made it sound as if you would notice the power difference in the 323 (as compared to the 325).

I was originally really leaning to the Infiniti I30 (which is a completely different car). I have had a G20 for a very long time and really like the company. From my perspective, they are exceptional cars and the service in exceptional. My 10 year old (97,000 miles) G20 truly looks "new" (paint and everything). I have had minimal problems with the car and in some ways will be sad to get rid of such a good car.

What do you think of your I30?

Also, everyone keeps talking about the BMW (with about the same hp) being a lot faster than the IS300. Does anyone have any statistics from an actual road race? The Lexus dealer of course says that the IS300 outperformed the BMW in several areas.
    My salesman at Schomp told me they take 3% off MSRP on all 3 series. This was a few months ago, so it could have changed, but I think it is still the same.

My wife loves her I30, but it is, as you said, a completely different kind of car. It rides very smooth, has lots of power, gets great mileage (we are averaging 24-25 mpg) and looks great. But it doesn't have that BMW "feel" if you know what I mean. And it's no canyon carver, either (we have the I30L, not the I30t). But for my wife's purposes, it is great. I prefer something sportier, which is why I'm looking at BMW's and the IS when my lease on my 4Runner is up next summer (great truck, just tired of SUV's).

As for the performance, all I can say is that BMW seems to get a lot more out of their ponies under the hood than other car manufacturers do. I don't know why, but the 170 hp in the 323 felt about the same as the 227 hp in the I30. I'm guessing the I30 weighs more, but I don't know for sure and I'm too lazy to look it up.

My advice for you - drive the BMW 323/325 and the IS back to back for at least 30 min each (and throw in the I30 and/or Acura TL if you want to). Then pick the one you like the best. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
    Thanks for the info... As an FYI...I have ruled out the TL completely after doing a little research. I read over 40 reviews (consumer) and almost every one had rattles and noises of some sort that for the most part were not resolved. They are attributing this to the fact that the TL is now made in Ohio (yes, all of them are made there). As a personal preference, I don't like the style of the CL (which has a lot of hp and is still made in Japan).

As for BMW pricing, my sales person gave me a detailed price list for the 325 and the 330. I am not sure if that is the "discounted" price or full MSRP. My guess is that it would be their reduced price. I used the figures on that sheet to calculate the cost of the 325 / 330 (around $36.5K/$41K as mentioned in earlier note).

I will be definitely drive both the IS and BMW several times before making my final decision.

Also, since you are in the Denver area, do you know if the IS300 is being discounted any off of MSRP in this area?
    I'm not going to even look until they have manual trannys. I am sick of autos and I don't care that my wife can't drive a 5-speed. She'll just have to learn how. I know the list you have. I have one, too. It lists MSRP, not the discounted price. It is the price list from BMW, right?

I don't like the way TL's look, that's why we ruled them out (neither does the wife).

$36.5k for a 325? Boy, that must have every option in the book. All I want is the sport/premium package and a few other small ones.
    I didn't mention this, but I have also since decided that I don't like the look of the TL. Last evening we were behind two different ones and I thought that they were the Accord until they pulled out and I could see the TL label.

On the BMW, it has almost every option. I don't have the list with me, but I know that I did not include All Wheel Drive (a $1750 option) and did not include the 6CD changer. I think that there are three packages (sport/premium, cold weather, ?) and I added all three plus a few extras. I want automatic so maybe their automatic/manual (is it Tiptronic?) is an addition as well. Basically, the options I added equate to the IS300 that I was looking at and the price is really "about" the same for the 325 and the IS300.

Have a great weekend!!
    Yeah, the Tiptronic is about $1,250, I think.

You have a good weekend, too.
    You know, out of most of the discussions I've heard, yours was probably the one that made the most sense. Yours and another gentlemen that mentioned why he purchased his CL. If I had things my way and could afford it, I'd buy all of them and switch them daily. Now that would be fun. Anybody have any ideas on lottery numbers? (ha!ha!)
    Don't go no help for you when it comes to lottery numbers! My picks always are wrong!
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    $31,000 is too much for this car. I compared the IS with a 328i in back-to-back drives: the Lexus feels like it came from a cookie cutter. The slushbox tranny doesn't shift with much authority unless you put your foot to the firewall. The BMW responded immediately to part-throttle inputs with nice, crisp downshifts, and it drives like it's on rails (where the Lexus displays some tail-wagging).

I really wanted to like the Lexus (auto and all), but aside from the clean exterior styling (unlike the BMW's aggression for aggression's sake), there's not enough content to justify the MSRP or the competitive aspirations. The IS would be an obvious choice at around $28,000, but at MSRP, it looks like Lexus is attempting to price this car into a higher class of auto.
    Been at the dealer today. Close to doing a deal on the car. Couple of questions. Looking to add the rear spoiler, was quoted $1200 for adding it. Seemed high?? Anybody get one for the same price or lower? Also, I thought there were 2 spoilers to choose from, but was told only one. Also, looking at adding the polished alloys with "summer" tires?? Have most stayed with factory or switched to these? If you did, why?? Maybe Volvo dealer guy(forgot name) could tell me about spoilers?? Thanks for any info.....