Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus IS 300

Comments

• riezriez Posts: 2,361
    Been out of action for a while. Divorce finalized April 19th.

kyfdx... My now ex-wife loves her '04 bright red SportCross. So do I and the kids. Been a great car. Is interesting to see so few of them, on road or at dealers.

cellshortnow & others... In midwest Lexus dealers seem to be selling '05 ISs for about 6-7,000 off MSRP. Seeing ads for cars with $34,000 MSRPs being offered for $27-28,000. Great time to buy a great car.

Hate to admit it but I'm not enthused about the new IS. I just can't get excited about a V6. I plan on keeping my '04 IS300 5-speed manual with LSD till 100,000 miles, at least. Glad I bough the extended warranty thru Lexus at time of purchase.

Still in love with my IS. Now have about 28,000 miles. Never been in shop for anything but snow tires and routine maintenance (always synthetic oil). Every time I walk up to her I think how good she looks. Love the size and shape.

How much are dealers charging for 30,000 mile service?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,294
    Welcome back.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,782
    good to see you're back. I'm sorry you had to split up with your wife. Even though the next IS won't be the same, we'd all love to hear your impressions if you can get your hands on one.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• cpickcpick Posts: 21
    I had some buyer's remorse when the car was bought while some niggles were worked out by the dealer. I liked my BMW but it was just too troublesome. The IS 300drove differently in some ways from my BMW and I thought sometimes I wouldnt get over the differences. However, now I have been driving the IS hard all round the Bay Area and beyond and I have come to love the handling, ride and throttle response. It really is a kick as was the BMW but in some different ways. The throttle response is soooo much better, power is solid, the handling at legal speeds is different but I think, just as good. I love that it wont understeer.

It is nicer to drive long ways than the 323 because it is simply far more comfy with the suede seats and killer HVAC (3 series BMWs have weak AC). The stereo is great too. Bonus-an IPOD fits perfectly in the front ashtray area if you pop the ashtray out!

All in all, I would say that this 2001 I purchased CPO may be a keeper well past the three years or so I originally thought...interestingly, here in CA, the car get constant complements, no-one ever commented on the BMW??!! I guess the IS 300 is more interesting and less common.
  • ayl1967ayl1967 Posts: 1
    Ron - while this is an old question, I thought I might post my solution to a similar problem. I found your question while trying to find a way to fix a scuff on my black RX330 dashboard, in practically the same place as where you described.

My Austin Lexus service consultant actually called up a local leather restorer who details their vehicles, and the guy was able to "airbrush" the scrape out. Apparently Lexus dashboards have some sort of clearcoats on them; the light gray mark indicates removal of the coating.

If you still have your IS300 and still have the scrapes, give your dealer a call and see if he can help.
  • Hey guys, I've decided to buy an IS300 ... now I have to decide Manual vs. E-Shift. The delima is the fun (+ the headache of Rush-hour) driving of the manual; or an option of both (+the wife can drive it too) ???

Is there a huge difference in the performance ?

Will I be dissapointed, or is e-shift option still a great (just not as much control as the manual) ?
    you won't regret it!

Realistically, how many times is your wife going to drive the car?

• witmanwitman Posts: 11
    Its a awesome car. My friend drives it at night... in the industrial area (yes you guessed it [Street racing]. He just left the engine stock and uses E-shift. He just replaced the body with bodykits for his car. Its sick. Yea he says that the E-shift is excellent, Good handling, and easy to use =P. He also quoted that the car has great acceleration and power. You were smart to buy a IS300 with E-shift :D !
  • hate to do it but gonna be putting at least 3500 miles on it aug 26 weekend =(
    but yay i'll be driving it hehhe
    so move out of my way i'm going to seattle!!!
  • hbomberhbomber Posts: 17
    I'm looking into buying a used IS300 and I was wondering if the IS300's require you to use premium gas.
  • I just recently bought a Tanabe exhaust for my is 300. It sounds great and fit my red car well. It has a deep throaty sound to it and says it raised the noise level by 6 decibels. That is the exhaust to get. :)
  • yes, the IS300 requires premium gas. 91 octane and above.
  • Manual says premium, but I have used everything from regular to mid-grade to premium with no discernable difference and I have had the car for 4 years. Great car no problems!
  • I was a little disappointed today by what i was told by a Lexus salesman.

We were talking about the new IS 250 and he told me that if i wanted i could put a deposit down to get on line to order or i could wait for 6 weeks until the car came in. That was ok with me too because i wanted to see the car in person before any commitments.

The only thing that bothered me was that he said that the IS250 with AWD and NAv would ne about mid to upped 30's.

Now what was that all about?? I thought it would be in the low 30's

All i want is AWD and no NAV so if the 250 is in the mid to upper 30's then what would the 350 be?? In the lower 40's.

If the 250 is above my price target i mine as well look at the Acura TL which shouldnt be more than 33,500 with no NAV.

Anyone here get any prices from a Lexus dealer on about what the IS 250 would be??
    Why do you need AWD on an IS? I'm sure the first allotment of cars will have certain popular equipment normally ordered.

• Im new at these forums. I am trying to sell my Lexus IS 300, 2004, 15000 miles on it. Whats my best way to go about selling it?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I guess I'm not sure what information you are looking for ... you can't offer it for sale in our Forums, if that's what you are asking. There is a "Sell Your Car" link on the left under "Partners" that you can pursue if you'd like.

If you want advice on how to go about selling cars in general, you'll enjoy reading some of the discussions on our Smart Shopper board. You'll also find some useful information in the Tips and Advice section of Edmunds.com.

Hope this helps.
  • has anyone had any problems with their paint?
    I have an 04 Black onyx that now has chips all over the car (they are white)
    i also had a white smear on the back left side of the car between the back left window and the rear window. now I have noticed that it looks as if the paint on the passenger door handle is wearing off (this looks gray)

has anyone else experienced this?!?!

ps- the car is garage kept every night and driven on the highway 5 days a week..
    i have taken the car to the dealer about the paint chipping before and they say it is normal because of highway driving...no car that is 1 year old should have tons of paint coming off...what is the deal?

thank you :mad:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,294
    You can thank water-based (green-friendly & far inferior) paint for what you're enduring. "Back in the day" factory paint was truly exceptional -- smooth, long-lasting & beautiful.

That was then. . .
  • jmessjmess Posts: 677
    This is a very common IS300 problem. Get a pro touchup job then cover the frontend with a clear bra like xpel. The clear bra solves the problems for the covered areas but chips still show up on the hood where it isn't covered.
  • what about the fact that the paint is wearing off the door handles??
    I didn't have any paint problems except chipping with my 02 which I part company with in Feb05. I also don't have long finger nails :-). Seriously though I would talk to your dealer about it. Call the Lexus Customer Satisfaction number if your dealer doesn't offer some resolution. I would not want anything repainted other than the door handles though if I could avoid it. Repaints are never as good as the factory paint job.

I know you can get clearbra/expel that will fit in the area under the door handles.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    See what Lexus General Manager had to say about the IS 350 and IS 250 in the chat held in the Forums last week:

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/transcripts/lexusischat092905.html

See all past chat transcripts: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/transcripts/index.html
  • Hello everyone

just wanted to let you know that the manager at the dealer took a look at the car and noticed that the paint was also wearing away on the windshield washer heads. It seems like all of the pieces I guess weren't painted with the car have the problem. All four door handles are worl down to a silvery gray (the car is black) and the backseat is RARELY used. SO, he said that it was definately a defect and that they would order new handles etc. They have had the car for 4 days so far and promised to detail it "inside and out so that everything looks like new". :) :) :) Lexus definately has the best customer service around!!
    Good for you and good for Lexus for doing the right thing.
  • man i have an 05 black IS300 and my paint looks like it has water spots permantly ive tried everything i only hand wash it and it is garage kept. i only drive it about 3 to 4 times a week. I talked to the salesman about it and he prettymuch said i would have to get a new paint job. thats some crap if you ask me

it kinda looks like mineral ionazation forming on my car ??
  • Anyone hear a loud thumping sound when engaging through their gears on a 5-spd. manual transmission Is300. Everytime I press the clutch and put the car in gear. the tranny makes a low, bassy sound, I don't know if this is common to all 5spd is300's or if its just mine? Please help!
  • I recently bought a 2003 IS 300 black exterior, tan leather interior w/ suede inserts for ~$23K after trade-in of 2002 Mercury Cougar for $7K. I even got a five year / 50,000 mile warranty thrown in ($1.4K value)! I only had to haggle for the extra warranty, nothing else.
  • Now that the IS 250/350 is out, does anyone have any ideas on what sort of deals may be had on remaining IS300's?

Thanks....
  • I also hear and have that problem with my car. It's a loud thump noise when I change gears, usually starting in first gear. I don't understand what the heck that is. Have you spoken to a dealership about it >?