Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    jmbc: Yeah, I don't doubt that mechanics change their own car's oil more often.

If I had still the time and inclination for working on cars, and/or worked in a car shop all day, the cost and convenience would make it an easy choice to change oil more frequently than recommended. And I'd probably do it, too.

But I don't, so I don't.

Again, your mileage may vary.
  • sol_driversol_driver Member Posts: 4
    Thank your for the responses, people. I guess it all depends on how I want to take care of the car. If I want to baby it, do it at 3000miles. If not, 5000 miles. Maybe I will settle it up the middle at 4000 miles. :D

What about those BMW and Mercedes? Some models don't need oil changes until 15,000miles and others don't even need any changes. Wonder what type of oil those cars run on? Hmmm... Thanks. :)
  • japsmkbtrcarsjapsmkbtrcars Member Posts: 35
    have built in sensors to determine the viscosity, and cleanliness of the oil. Even the Honda Civic and many American cars have reminder lights that get tripped at certain milage for service. The German engineering is somewhat different, better, but you pay for the difference up front, with the purchase price. Moreover, most people do not purchase BMW or Mercedes new, they lease, so by the time the lease is over, the cars usually get reconditioned for future lease or sale. Not like a less expensive vehicle that just gets washed and a for sale sign put in the window. They also come with pre-paid maintenance, so the driver just drives in when he/she is supposed to and the service is done "free"!
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    Apparently, the 2004 Solara is being shown to employees at Toyota's Georgetown facility. I've been told it looks Chrysler-like.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    coolguyky7-

As long as it only LOOKS Chrysler-like and does not turn out to have the same lack of reliability they do, it should be okay.

fastdriver
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I've always thought of Chrysler as being one of the industry leaders in terms of styling.

I bet nobody will be allowed near the car with a camera...
    Apparently nobody has been able to sneak a picture of the new Solara! Chrysler's are sharp the first few years, then look like antiques, very soon. That darn planned obsolecence. I wonder why the Georgetown plant is so blessed, and not Ontario, Canada?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    Canc-

" I've always thought of Chrysler as being one of the industry leaders in terms of styling."

You're right! That's about all they have going for them, except maybe the big rebates and the 7/70 warranty. If their styling keeps going the way of "cars" like the Pacifica, they won't even have the looks either.

Just my .02 as usual.

fastdriver
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I spoke to a Toyota salesperson who said the new Solara might sport a retractable hardtop!? Anyone heard of this?? Seems like a pricey addition that would push the sticker into Lexus-land!
    IMO a retractable hardtop on a car this size would be a hot seller though. (Lexus SC430 too small and too pricey)
    Chrysler has come a long way since the K-car era. A recent JD Power's survey even ranked Chrysler cars as having the fewest defects of all other North American companies. Their powertrain warranty outmatches Toyota's, probably as a way to let people know that Chrysler's reputation with bad transmission is a thing of the past (hopefully).

A retractable hardtop would be very nice, but like toydriver said, this would push this car into Lexus land... it would be a hot seller for Toyota nonetheless, and will perhaps address the rattle issues that some have had with the ragtop.
    The survey posted above was not from JD Power, but from Consumer Reports.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Has the production on 2003 Solaras stopped?
         Can anyone tell me the rpm at exactly 70 mph with the 4-cylinder automatic (SE)?
         Is it possible to get the ivory cloth interior with the Lunar Mist exterior(SE)?
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    ...stopped in December. They are moving production to the Georgetown, KY plant. The all-new 2004 coupe will arrive late this summer, convertible in late winter/early spring.
  • svdavesvdave Member Posts: 1
    Late winter/early spring? So there will be few or no Solara convertibles available for the next year?
    No convertibles for this sumer, and production moving from Ontario to KY!
    Does anyone know or can think of any reasons why Toyota moved production from Ont. to KY? The Ontario plant has won so many awards!
  • steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    The Sienna left Georgetown for Princeton IN, the Lexus RX330 is going to be be built in Ontario. (The first Lexus built in North America)

The KY plant has won numerous awards also. I'm sure there are numerous reasons to switch plants, and Toyota doesn't make decisions like this on a whim.
  • earlgrey_44earlgrey_44 Member Posts: 21
    It will be very interesting to see how the Solara behaves with new size tires. What kind did you decide to get?
    I'm really surprised anyone has yet to find a spy photo or at least any detailed info about the new Solara. It's being shown at TMMK, so I can't believe it hasn't leaked yet somehow.
  • sequoiasaurussequoiasaurus Member Posts: 240
    Exterior:
    Artic Frost Pearl
    Lunar Mist Metallic
    Black
    Absolutely Red
    Desert Sand Mica
    Cosmic Blue Metallic
    Oceanus Pearl

Interior:
    Ivory
    Dark Stone
    Charcoal

Also, 5-speed automatic available with 5 manual
    What's your source and do you know anything else?
  • bezaharbezahar Member Posts: 20
    Thought I'd post a final update on my Solara, insurance declared it totaled -- 2000 Solara SE, 5 speed, all options but leather & side air bags with a little over 44000 miles (still a baby.) Insurance gave me $16,829.050

Had it for almost 3 years, cost of ownership not including insurance, but including financing, maintenance & tires (should have waited) $12,160.75, came out to 28 cents a mile or $360 a month.

Wish I could have had it longer, definitely would have lowered the cost. Well I've now got a new Infiniti G35 Sedan, very nice car. Still anxiously awaiting to see what they do with the new Solara.
    coolguy-same one I had for the Sienna info. Hasn't failed me yet. More will be released soon I promise.
    Did you request more from your insurance company, since it was babied, with new tires, and all? Any reason you chose Infinity, as opposed to a new Solara? You probably could have gotton a deal on the 03's.
    Well the main reason I didn't go with current Solara was the fact that I've now got a girl friend with 2 teenage kids, so I was looking for a 4 door. With that in mind I started looking at the Camry same car after all just 4 door, just not quite the same though. Then looked at 03 Maximas again not really impressed. Then I started looking more at sport sedans. Sort of narrowed it down to Lexus IS300, Audi A4, and the G35. I was really pretty tightly split between the Lexus and the G35. Ended up picking the G35 mainly on styling, both extremely nice cars.
    As far as the value I wasn't complaining too much since I could have easily taken what they gave me and got the same car off the lot (true it wouldn't have been my baby!) I actually saw a couple that were nearly the same (year and milage for less then what they gave me.) The difference would be extra mony was for (possible repairs/extended warrenty.) Got a call a few days ago asking if I wanted an extended warrenty on the Solara. That made me laugh bit.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......420 AA rated tires mounted today. Seems to have reduced nose dive under hard braking only slightly . Cornering, however, much improved with no squeal(as with the OEM Potenzas). Regret delay.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Who said a redesigned Solara will be at the New York auto show, and how do you know?
  • tk865tk865 Member Posts: 52
    I talked to a factory rep who's seen the car. He said to look at an SC430 and squint. He also said the hardtop convertible will not be an option, and convertibles will not be available until next year.
    In a Toyota employee newsletter it was stated to look for the Solara at the April auto show. Just a little while longer! When exactly during April is it?
    There's an auto show in April?
    EZ's report on his first impressions with 215 tires aligns with the experience of Consumer Reports engineers, who said the new Camry sedan 6cyl with 215 Continentals handled significantly better than the 4cyl version with 205 Potenzas, and said the tires were the reason. Potenzas have been complained about regarding wet traction, but not especially for dry traction.

When I posted this stuff on another board, several people didn't want to believe that 10mm of extra rubber could make a difference, but it looks like it can. I'll bet the Solara stops shorter with these too. Ez, tell us more when you have more time on the tires!
    Can you get them with white walls?
    Check out this link, which has lots of survey and user review info re. tires, FWIW. I like the reviews of the Dunlop Sport A2's.
      http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireM- odel=SP+Sport+A2
    and they are 1/2 the price of replacing the Michelin Energy's that come OEM on some Solaras!
  • rward99rward99 Member Posts: 185
    I got to see the new Solara this morning. Very nice vehicle. I think someone said something about the SC430, or comparing it to that.... yeah, I would agree with that. They share many of the same lines. A very nice looking car.
  • vz18wpvz18wp Member Posts: 20
    Where did you see it? Give some details please.

Are there any pictures available for all of us to view???

Can't wait to get a look at it!

'99 Pearl White SE 69K and going strong...
    My family has a 1999 Black Sand SE V6 5-speed with more than 140,000 miles and going strong! Can't wait to see the new one!
    According to this press release only the coupe will be introduced in NY and not the soft top. Maybe that will come in Detroit next January.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/photo_library/display_release.html?id- - =20030331b

Hopefully I wrong and they will show both.
    WAIT!

Sequoiasaurus, you mean April 17th the Solara will be debuted! Phew...you had me scared for a minute.
    Like the article says, it's the most American Toyota to date, they aren't kidding. Everything rattled, and the interior light would not go off.
    I saw it at the plant, and of course cameras aren't allowed. I didn't see the interior, but the exterior is extraordinary. The Lexus SC430 is the closest thing to it, but with only a single exhaust instead of dual. Go to the Lexus site and look at the SC430. Very sleek, and when the driver closed the passenger door it was a very nice solid sound.

It's very smooth and rounded, very sporty looking. The sides are a little weak, but still nice looking. Bumpers are integrated into the body.

The car was destined for Toyota Sales for promotional shots. This one was black, but I bet a deep red would be an outstanding color. I never cared much for the previous years' styling. This one is a very bold change. You will like it.
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    Anyone know of a 2002 V6 5 speed for sale? Appear to be scarce at this time. D.C. to New York area.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    The 2004 Solara is sounding better and better! I been planning on replacing my 1991 Camry (which I love very much) with an '04 Solara.

Thank goodness I live so close to NYC (I live in lower Southwestern Connecticut in Fairfield County) so that I can go and witness the new Solara in all it's beauty myself at the Jacob Javits center.

The only bad part is having to drive on the Cross Bronx Expressway and go over the George Washington Bridge (sans EZPass), not to mention driving in the heart of Manhattan (where the Javits Center is)! Oh well, can't have pleasure without some pain!

Only 2 weeks to go!
    If you can, will you be able to get some pictures for yourself (and us)?
    Funny, we have a '91 Camry too, and with barely 80,000 miles. My wife won't sell it. She's in love with it and seldom lets me drive it. It's been a great car. I told her about seeing the new '04 Solara and quote "I don't care what it looks like. I'm keeping my Camry".

The '91 was the last year design, a real classic. I have heard many positive things about that year. If you sell yours make sure you get a good price.
    1992 is when the new Camry debuted with the notorious sludge engine. 1997 is when Camry decontented, again, and quality suffered. Your wife will probably have that car 15 more years at the rate shes driving it! Thing probably has the original battery, the way they used to build 'em!
    Please let's not bring up the sludge monster. I just don't see why Toyota would've dropped the quality of their product after 1991, especially when the company was gaining popularity for making quality reliable cars. I remember reading about the 1993 generation Camry, which even the Toyota engineers said that it was too good of a car for the price. Yes, they did decontent the Camry back in 1997, but they made up for it with the current generation.

Thanks for the info about the 2004 Solara! I can't wait to see pics of it.