Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I've replaced the stock Michelins on my 2000 TL when they had about 25,000 miles on them. They were plain dangerous at that time. Just like you, I looked at the tires and saw a lot of tread, but the wet performance was horrible. I would slide when cornering at very low speeds, when the road was wet. I replaced the tires with Dunlops Sport A2 or something like that. The wet performance of these tires was awesome!
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The Acura TL is one of the vehicles on my wish list but I will not buy one until this transmission issue is answered by Acura/Honda. Why can't they tell us exactly what the problem was and how they fixed it? I have heard from forums that TLs made after May '02 do not have the "problem", but what is the "problem"? I certainly do not want to pay $27K for a car and then have to worry that the trans could go out at any time let alone a possibility of a sudden downshift at 70 mph. Please Acura/Honda, give us some honest answers.
  • rickslickrickslick Member Posts: 27
    was replaced in October and its starting to give me symptoms that problems may be coming soon. Its shifting rough again and kind of jerky. I have a 01 TL with 49K miles on it. I think it was replaced at 42k. I'll keep you posted.
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    10 years ago I drove my friend's 99 auto Accord. Remember nothing wrong with its upshift. However when I applied the brake and slowed down the car, at some point the auto transmission jerked so abruptly that it seemed as if something much worse would happen the next moment. It scared me.

Never bought Honda/Acura because of the bad impression.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Usually I am against putting on a bra on any cars, but after checking out some pictures on the TLS forum, I am tempted to try it.

Does anyone know where I can buy the Half Bra with the Acura name written on it?
    Any idea how much it cost?

Can any one give their input on the under body kit accessor.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    billyperks-

Try this site- http://www.ahmotor.com/ I bought the full bra there for my CL-S. They have authentic Honda parts/accessories.

fastdriver
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Dear God don't put a car bra on your TL-S. It will destroy the paint. Get the clear stuff (3M makes it I think).
    I am with you on that, usually I don't use a bra on any cars I own.I got to admit that I went to the Acura TL web site and saw pictures of the Half Bra on a TL and it did look good.I got caught up in the moment.
    How does the 3M product works?
    It's a clear plastic. You can't even tell it's on from a distance. It has to be put on by a professional. Pat Goss on MotorWeek loves it and has mentioned it on several shows.
  • shellzshellz Member Posts: 51
    If anyone was wondering if Acura had fixed the transmission problem for the 2003s, the short answer is NO. I have about 25,000 miles on my car and the transmission finally gave out.

The problem started small at first. Sometimes the transmission would slip for a split second but then recover. Then it slipped for a longer period of time but still recovered. Then it slipped and took an incredibly long time to recover. Then it was like driving a manual transmission that you don't know how to drive. It was horriffic. The whole process took about two weeks or 600 miles. Anyhow, you'll know if it's happening. But the VSA exclamation point light comes on along with the VSA malfunction light, the Check Engine light and the D5 indicator blinks--oh, and the car doesn't drive all that well...

Good luck to everyone else's transmission!
    What is the date of manufacture of your TL-S? Supposedly those made after May
    '02 do not suffer the transmission defect.
  • marfay2marfay2 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a 99tl last nov and have not experienced any of the tranny or brake problems common in this forum.But i do have a question about fuel economy. Using premium fuel i'm getting 15city/20hwy, nowhere near epa estimates (19/27). Dealer says its the winter gas blend(Ohio). Am i being unrealistic to get in mid 20s?
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    My mileage on a 2000 TL has always been in the 19-22mpg range, never above it. The mileage greatly depends on how fast and aggressively you drive.
  • junebug56junebug56 Member Posts: 35
    I had a 2003 TL for an overnight test drive, yet I found one thing disturbing. When I applyed the gas form a dead stop I noticed a jerkyness. I also have this in my 98 Avalon, but it is worse than the TL. I was stroungly considering the TL, till I logged onto the boards and found out about the tranny and brake and tire toubles. Any thoughts??
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I think the tranny problems are overstated, but still there sees to be little reason to buy one over an Accord EXV6. I am sure some people had tranny problems, but where are stats showing they are more problems with a TL than with most other cars? The same few people posting their complaints 20 times does not prove a widespread problem.
    Regardless, the TL is old now and you might as well buy an Accord or wait to see how the redesigned 2004 TL turns out.
  • akal50akal50 Member Posts: 112
    I agree about the Accord. It may not look as cool as a TL, but it's still a great car and it's got some things that the TL doesn't have. Choosing between the Accord and the 2003 TL is tough. But the fact that a new TL is coming out makes it a lot easier. Plus this whole transmission issue has me scared. My 2000 Accord never gave me problems.
    I am interested in someone who has recently drove both of these vehicles. How do you compare the two in terms of driving comfort, seat comfort, quietness, and overall quality. Exterior looks is subjective so no need to provide your opinion on that issue. I do realize that the TL is "old" technology and the Accord is new but I feel sometimes the "old" proven technology is partially better. Thanks in advance for you opinions.

bear2day and others- What kind of mpg are you getting on mostly highway driving?

Other owners- Are you using premium gasoline for the non Type-S TL?
    I think Acura needs to catch up and get in synch with model changeover of the Accord or they will always have a tough time the final year competing with the newer Accord.
    I remember back when the 98 Accord came out, it was the same thing.
    Maybe they should make a special edition TL for the last year with exclusive paint and interior colors and equipment to make it more attractive compared to the newer design of the Accord. They could have slapped in some real would and higher grade leather in the 2003 instead of waiting for the 2004 redesign. They could have also made the 260HP engine standard for 2003.
    I see no reason for anyone to buy a 2003 TL now that the 2003 Accord EXV6 has available navigation, heated seats, side curtain airbags, more horsepower etc..
    Xenon headlights and the weak-sounding Bose stereo in the TL is little incentive.
    I drove both on the same day. The TL is more of a luxury car, but the 240 HP in the Accord was awesome!! I felt the seats on the TL were wider and more comfortable. The Accord has better visibility, and the controls on the steering wheel were easier to operate. The stereo was great, although it's not a Bose. The rear seat goes down, so you can carry some pretty large items, when needed. The TL has the better headlights, although most other divers coming toward you hate them. The TL also has the 'green glass' that's easier on the eyes. The leather in the TL us better quality, even an Acura dealer told me this. I loved the way the Accord drove, but I have to say, I think I am kind of leaning toward the TL. Based on the 2004 TL and the gas cost, the 6 cyl Accord takes regular gas, I guess we will see what happens in a few months. Right now, my 98 Toyota Avalon is still running like a champ--I just want something new, and VERY dependable. Good Luck!! Keep us posted!!
  • shellzshellz Member Posts: 51
    Marfay, I took delivery of my TL in March--so you're right, my transmission was probably before the "fix."

TL vs. Accord
    I have to admit that I'm very impressed with the new Accord. Overall, I thought it felt like a more comfortable car than my TL. The interior was quieter with substantially less road and wind noise. The seats also, although I do have the sport seats, seemed a little more supple. I think that the new Accord would be a very worthy alternative to a TL considering that you can get a fully loaded one (V6 w/Nav) for around $26,000.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I hope Acura keeps the "Acura Legend Styling Theme" for the 2004 TL. Don't really like the new Accord myself.
    Is there a site that lists interior noise levels?

I would really be surprised if a 2003 TL has "substantially less road and wind noise" than a 2003 EXV6.
    I know the Type S TL seems noiser than an Accord V6.
  • black2k2black2k2 Member Posts: 3
    I've been going back and forth with a dealer that has a certified used 2002 Acura TL-S. It has 35K miles on it, has already had the tranny replaced, and is covered until 100K. He wants $22,800. I just wanted to get a general consensus from the people that already own a Type S.
    Run, do not walk, away from that TL-S. 35k miles? I say it's way too much. You can lease a new one for less $$$ per month.
    Leasing is out, I am aiming to keep the car for longer than that. What do you think would be a fair price?
  • chineechinee Member Posts: 50
    If you plan on keeping the car for a substantial amount of time and miles, beyond 100K, please rethink your decision to purchase a TL.

Some folks think the issue's exaggerated and Acura's done enough to address the issue, while others believe that Acura didn't play fair at all. I've now decided to take neither side.

To be practical, no manufacturer, domestic or import, warranties their transmission for 100K, but on Japanese cars I still EXPECT the transmissions to last way beyond that. With the TL, I planned on keeping well into 200K, (35K per year), but I believe it is UNLIKELY that the transmission will get me there (failed at 19K). And TL trannies have failed two and three times.

Even though trannies on Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Infiniti products do not offer extended transmission warranties, I feel they are MORE LIKELY to get me to 200K.

I say be practical, if you know you will be driving your next car past 100K, look elsewhere other than the TL for peace of mind. And do not forget, there is a chance the tranny may fail at 70+ mph, causing you to lose control of the car on a highway; not a chance I was willing to take with my kids in the car.

So... I traded my black 2k2 TL for a silver G35 2 weeks ago.

Good luck with your decision.
  • bear2daybear2day Member Posts: 6
    In reference to 1831. I have a very heavy foot, and I can`t say no to a good race. But any way, 6800 miles, only use American High Test 93 oct. 24-26 in Town, 28-31 Highway. But this is on a 2003 TLS. Sorry Fredvn
    Bear2Day
    What is the name of the Infiniti Dealership you work for :)
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    billy: Cheap shot on chinee, but at least you said it with a smile.

chinee: I fully agree with your position. Bad luck is bad luck. Putting yourself in position to be victimized by a known defect is imprudent.

I am looking to replace our 1996 Isuzu Trooper with 61k miles that blew an engine for a mere $5,500 repair bill. The last thing I am going to do is jump from a frying pan into the fire. I will wait to decide on the Pilot and/or MDX until I see how Honda comes clean on this automatic transmission issue. At least with my S2000, it's a manual and I never intended to drive it 100k miles.

There are plenty of good alternatives to a TL that don't require you to play Russian Roulette with the transmission.
    What manufacture date fixes the problem on the '03s?
    I have test driven the following new cars: an Accord, Camry, a Highlander, and an Acura 3.2TL.
    I really need to feel whatever I am buying will be reliable, and will last for years. I was all set to decide on the Camry or Highlander, until I drove the TL and Accord. I LOVE the TL, and all the "creature features" that come standard, but I am hearing about a lot of problems with the TL and the transmission troubles, so that is scaring me away from the TL and the Accord. I know of several people who own them and haven't experienced any of these problems, but it is still making me hesitant of what may be ahead. I now own a 98 Avalon, I purchased used over a year ago. There are no problems with it, but I just would like a new car with the warranty and better stereo, and yes, the "creature features".
    Any thought from anyone able the reliability and feedbacks from the cars I have test driven would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
    Working at an Infiniti dealership should be a pretty good job nowadays, with the FX, G sedan and coupe, and M sedan,... those cars are selling like hot cakes! I'm not so lucky.

If not for the tranny, I'd still be in the TL today; no other car comes close to offering the level of quality and features at the price of the TL, and excellent fit and finish. It truly is unfortunate that the tranny issue plagues so many models in the Acura/Honda lineup, it only made the issue so much more worse.

If you're in the market for an entry level luxury lease...get the TL. If you want to make a long term purchase,... do your own research, and make up your mind for yourself.

I wonder if the Infiniti dealership will let me work weekends....hmmm? :)
    ...on your purchase decision; if you're considering a Honda 4 cylinder Accord, don't hesitate for a second. Great car, value, reliability. Haven't heard a single bad thing about any Honda/Acura 4-banger. Except for the AC compressors, they last about 50/60K, my experience, and that of friends and coworkers. The V6 however, shared transmission problems with the TL and the others.

Sorry billyperks...
    It has been stated on Edmunds' forum on one of the message boards that the TLs manufactured after May of 2002 do not have the "problem". I just wish that Acura/Honda would come out and officially explain exactly what the problem was and how it was fixed. I suppose for liability reasons they cannot do this. Another item that I heard was that there was some bad parts in the transmission from a particular supplier and that particular supplier is no longer supplying those parts. I would appreciate it if anyone can provide any updated information concerning this issue.
    Go with the TLS, I picked up mine on 12/30/02, so far 1300 miles problem free.The car is blast to drive, stereo is above average and the fit and finish is immaculate.Mine was manufactured 11/02 so in the long run I will see if the transmission holds up- I bet it will.

I have seen the numerous post here about transmisssion failures and basically ignored them.
    There are about six people on my job with the TL and not one of them had any transmission problem.

Take a chance and go with the TL, regardless of the choice you make cars on a whole is going have some sort of problem.
  • hclllhclll Member Posts: 35
    I am living in a bad city where people don't care about other's car. My old maxima get dings all around its four doors. I wonder if any of you guys has ideas about how ding-resistant the TL body panels are? And is the bumper easy to be scratched and paint chiped? If Acura metal is not hard I will consider buying a Volvo S60.

And I am 6'2 tall, and my head touchs the roof when I was in my 94 Maxima. I also want to know if TL has enough head room for me.
    Thanks.
    I do alot of highway driving and so far the paint is holding up.I try to stay as far behind the car in front of me to avoid the stone from thei tires.
    I learned this the hard way-I had a 99 Mazda Millenia and I use to get numerous stone chips on my hood.
    As far dings my sloution is to avoid Malls and Supermarket parking lots.If you do go, park your car way over yonder.My wife hates it when we use my car for those occassions, that's why we use her 1994 Toyota Camry for Malls and Supermarkets.

The height issue- I am about 6"1" but it is all in my legs, I have a short Torso, so I have enough headroom.
    I'm 6'3" and I fit comfortably in my TL-S
  • bear2daybear2day Member Posts: 6
    I`m 6'2" and 275 lbs, I fit comfortably in my TLS.
  • jdone1jdone1 Member Posts: 22
    The transmission issue is vastly overblown. Please refer to the recent yearly automotive issue from Consumer Reports. Their editorial opinions are typical liberal nonsense but their automotive data comes from the real world and real people. The tl transmission is MORE RELIABLE than the average car's. People make so much fuss about it because the don't expect anything ever to go wrong with a Honda product. Better than most cars just isn't good enough.
  • hclllhclll Member Posts: 35
    I don't want a TL-s due to the stiff suspension. The road in Philly is going to shake it apart. DOn't know if base TL is ok for me in terms of headroom, because I heard type-s has more head room than base TL.
  • michaymichay Member Posts: 4
    I had a 99 TL. It seemed to be susceptible to door dings and paint chips than any other car that I have owned. The fact that it was black made those little flaws even more evident.

Other than that, I loved the car. I reluctantly sold it to get a SUV (needed more space for another addition to the family).

Just a side story: I was driving on highway and saw a spot that I could merge get into. I hit the gas and was expecting the SUV to go, but atlast it didn't and I could merge. For that reason, I miss my old car. :(
    Three weeks ago I test drove a TL & TLS. Was interested, but the price wasn't where I wanted. So, I told him I'd think about it and perhaps wait to see the 04 design changes. He called me tonight and left a message saying the president of thier dealership said the 04 TL is a totally different car with a much higher price tag. He said it will be similar to the new TSX. He also said their dealership is giving a manufactuer rebate and a lot off the invoice. He told me I would have 27 03 TL's to chose from---SOOOOO, the big question????? Do I go with the old style, which is classy, but dated, and the transmission troubles, or go with a first year production, and who knows what the price-tag or mechanical troubles will be with that new model??? a friend said, if I don't wait for the new model, I'll always 2nd guess my decision. But, I do love all the "stuff" the TL has now--and it's not too bad a price. Any comments??
    You could always at least wait until real previews (not hollywoodextra photoshopped fakes)of the new TL come out. If you don't like it, you can buy a left over '03 before they're gone.
    If you don't wait for the new TL, you might as well get an '03 EXV6.
    I don't see much reason to buy a '03 TL when you have the '03 EXV6 on one hand and the '04 TL on the other.
    I doubt the '04 will be that much more than an '03, except for the fact that it will not be discounted much at first unless it is very ugly.
    Thanks for the 'down to earth' comments. I do have new car fever--I think I should re-focus and help my boys paint the house--at least that will take some time!! Thanks!! Which model do you have ?? Do you like it?? Any problems??
    How much is he willing to sell the regular TL for?
    I'm going to call him today--I'll post when I find out what kind of deal he'll make me. I think I may drive the XLE Camry and the V-6 Accord for a true comparision. If I have time, that's what I'd like to do.
  • marfay2marfay2 Member Posts: 4
    What year did acura begin having trans problems and what years are covered by the extended warranty?
    I believe they started with the 2000 model and continued with some 2003s. Supposedly vehicles manufactured after May of 2002 do not have the problem. 2000 is the first year that the TL had the 5-speed auto trans.

junebug56- Your comparisons sound like a good idea. A number of people say there is not much difference between the 2003 Accord and the TL. I am not so sure about that but let us know what you think.
    There is a difference, but at this point, most of the differences are in favor of the new Accord EXV6.
    The TL has a Bose stereo system that is supposed to be an advantage, but is not because it sounds worse than the Accord stereo. It has a year longer warranty, Xenon headlights, sportronic transmission, memory seat, heated mirrors, and the fog lights are standard.
    The Accord is a newer design with more power with better fuel economy while at the same time using regular gas and requiring less frequent maintenance, a slicker available navigation system with voice commands, cool Lexus-like glowing gauges, remote keyfob controls windows, available rear sunshade, available dvd entertainment system for rear passengers, side curtain airbags, dual-zone automatic climate control,folding rear seat, small amounts of additional interior room and a generally tighter and more modern feel to it while selling for thousands less.
    The '04 TL will expectedly have most of what the '03 TL and the new Accord have plus, more power, improved interior with real wood interior trim and the XM radio may be standard. I would expect it will also have some other new features that neither the current TL or Accord have.
    It don't see much reason to buy an '03 TL now unless you absolutely must have memory seats and heated mirrors (and don't want side curtain airbags etc) and can't wait for the '04 TL.