Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Relax- no one is fighting here.

You test drove the TL and you mentioned you did'nt like the transmission/engine.All I am asking is what don't you like about it?
    What I have noticed on this board is that a lot people are joining the bad transmission band wagon and they don't even own the car.

As for styling, the Caddy is clearly the loser here, in about 4 to 5 years when age sets in, you will see what I mean.
  • wsag26wsag26 Member Posts: 124
    Styling really got me.. the TL looks outdated. It looks old.. just like the Chevy Venture does. Just like the Caddy Seville does... it looks old so I didn't want to buy something. I originally owned a japanese luxury and was looking for something different and newer. Transmission can be updated and the 2004 model looks like it can be changed.. Obviously you don't like Caddy and I understand that, but I don't like Acura and I think you should understand that too.
  • courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    The problem is it does not shift smoothly. It is a combination of the tranny and the throttle control. You have to be very easy on the gas to accelerate smoothly. Acura is well aware of this, they recently extended the warranty on the tranny for up to 7 years. Also when putting the car in drive there is a lag of about 1-2 seconds before it engages. This I was told is normal. There is nothing to do to fix it. The tranny has numerous problems ranging from just quitting, downshifting at the wrong time, lagging or noise.
    Just be careful out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Couldn't figure out the word for the transmission problems the TL is having. My friend who currently owns a 2000 TL says the transmission sucks. he didn't tell me the problems it has but he did tell me not to buy one.
  • 2003tls2003tls Member Posts: 100
    No denying that the 1999 - early 2003 TL's had transmission problems. Of course, so do current WRX's, 350Z's and G35s. Every car has its problems. The key is buying the one that has the most positives with the least negatives. There is no perfect car out there.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    I have a new 03 Type S w/ 5300 miles. When in 5th and driving at a constant speed, usually around 40 - 50 mph, the trans seems to surge a bit (it's kind of jerky). If I put it in 4th and keep it there it stops and drives a lot smoother. Any one have an idea what's going on? Do most people use the 5th gear only on the hwy.? It doesn't surge when going at higher speeds. Is this a break-in period type of thing? Oh by the way, it sometimes has a major "hic-up" around 40 mph. It actually performs better when driven hard. What's up with this?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey you have the famous 40-50mph tranny hickup. But they (you know who) say "you are imagining it", "can't reproduce it", "it's normal".

My 2002 TL-S has been doing hickups like this since new when it had the original transmission and then after the tranny was replaced. It is strange how it does it, especially when I cruise on a perfectly straight, flat road, at a steady speed.

I don't think it is a sign of failing transmission.

Some speculate that it is ABS testing itself, other people say that it is some fuel-saving measure that causes the torque converter to lock/unlock, some other people think that it is the tranny's grade logic kicking in (on a flat surface???)

To me it feels like the engine just lost power (as if there is no more gas left or as if the fuel line is clogged).

It probably has something to do with the drivetrain computer. Must be a piece of doo-doo of a computer.

Driving in D4 helps somewhat but hickups still occur once in a while.

Once I had a triple hickup that totally felt like the engine was going to stall. I had to pump the gas pedal to keep it going.

Another time I had a scary hickup - at 80 mph on a highway.
    Have you experienced the rev limiter? that's when you go in SS and take it up to the redline and the computer cuts the fuel delivery to the engine?

this hickup could be related. Maybe the computer for some reason thinks that you are revving too much for the given speed and position of throttle and cuts the power.
    hey I don't think the car is too jumpy at all. Give me more shove when I press the gas pedal.

Maybe you need some boulevard cruiser that does 0-60 in 10 seconds. Try Mazda Millenia (not the S version, that would be too powerful for you) - those take off nice and slowly.
    But wait, do they have hand-operated parking brake?

Having said that, I concur that TL's transmission sucks.

Here is an example of a good transmission: Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. The engine puts out 280 lbs*ft torque. The tranny is rated for 280 lbs*ft of torque. It handles all that power smartly and smoothly. It always knows what gear to be in for the situation. Driving a GTP is "point and shoot" - you see an open spot and you jump into it without hesitation. It is not always like this with the Acura - if it is in a good mood it will jump, if it has a bad day it won't.
  • courtney11courtney11 Member Posts: 77
    AS for the car being a bit tempermental with the gas, it is !!! What else can I say. It is fast enough but just not smooth. As for the tranny, mine is fine so far but I would reconsider the purchase of a new one if the same tranny is used. If the problem were minor why would they extend the warranty to 7 years and 100k miles? Because the problem is major.
    As for a good tranny on the pontiac I don't know. It may be fine but it is still on a GM car. Enough said, anyone who even considers a GM over a Acura has not done their homework.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I too find the power delivery of the Type-S cars a bit rough and inconsistent. But I don't know if the fault is with the engine, the tranny, the throttle hardware, or the electronic engine management. The inconsistency leads me to suspect that it may be due to a finicky electronic brain. Overall, it's car that seems to work better when driven hard, flat-out on an open road. When you have to ease it around in stop and go city traffic, the system gets confused and temperamental. The Accord V6 is much more city-traffic friendly, as is (I suspect) the regular 225-horse 3.2.
    the inconsistency is quite annoying. At times, it feels rough and almost sluggish, but at times, when the electronic Gods are happy and all the stars are lined up perfectly it feels like a V8 in thrust and smoothness.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    I understand the hick-up, but what do you suppose is causing the slight surges in 5th gear? It actually feels like a slight jerking motion, especially when your driving at a constant speed and is more pronounced when you take your foot off of the accelerator. Is that the torque convertor locking and releasing? If so, does it get better after time?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    It looks like break-in issue that I mentioned earlier. Give it 2-3K miles more, and if it continues, you can always have someone look into it. But that shouldn't be necessary.

You're probably experiencing the torque converter engage/disengage. Don't worry too much about it, especially since it is a brand new car. If you think too much about something, you may try to feel something that doesn't exist. Kinda like ghost stories.
  • bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    I have a similiar problem or feature on mine. I keep in D4 unless I go on a highway. I believe the 5th gear is too tall (designed for fuel economy) and causes the trans to go down to 4th too often around 40mph.
    I can put a bet on this-

If you put the two cars side by side and ask an individual who knows nothing about cars to choose which is more stylish, I GARAUNTEE that person would go for the Acura.
    I think they will mistake your car for a spaceship
    getting ready for a take off:).
    Don't like GM... I don't care..
    I am not looking forward to having a fight with you and I feel that this message board isn't made for bets or fights or guarantee's unless the guarantee is for helping someone to find a car. I am sorry... but I will not visit this board anymore if all people want to do with me is fight.
  • kcirredkcirred Member Posts: 10
    The current TL has many strengths but styling in my opinion is not one of them. I'll take the edgy CTS styling over the boring TL any day.

The new TL on the other hand looks great. Can't wait to test drive the 6 speed!
    billyperks.....
    I am going to say one more thing:
    The 2004 TL will probably look better than the current one, and probably could be closer to doing a comparison then.. but not now...
    Man you are thin skinned.
    We are only discussing cars here-sheet metal with four rubber tires.
    You have to be able to handle the opinions/jokes that comes with car talk.
    People talk about the TL as been bland but you don't see me crying or getting upset about it, on the other hand I get tons of complements from people all over.
    Just for the record- I don't hate Caddies, I am considering the XLT as a second means of transport in about a year or so.This decision was based on me been a homeowner who has to struggle in my wifes car with ply boards and sheet racks etc etc whenever I go to Home Depot or any other home improvement store.

Ok ok- the CTS is alright but in my opinion the TLS wins.

Are you down with the crowd again.
    Okay.
    You want to take harsh words billyperks.
    Fine with me.
    The TL sucks in every way. So does the whole acura. honda's pilot, odyssey, civic, and accord look bland.. they suck so does the s2000. they all suck.
    lets just say that all of honda and acura sucks. it all sucks, the whole concept. Even the concept vehicle of the next-gen TL. too bland, still. i hate everything about acura. lexus and toyota are better. even infiniti is better. no wonder lexus and infiniti sell better than acura. because ACURA sucks!

If you want to take harsh words... I'm not crying and neither are you.... i don't care what you say from this point on...
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    No problem that you hate Honda and all it stands for. But .... Ummm - Why are you here on this board?
    GEESH!!! talk about temper tantrum.
    I did'nt know my words were so powerful, I hope I don't make you go out and wreak your Caddy because of these enlighten discussions.

Please enjoy your car and have a good life.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    Enough. Further conversation along this line will be deleted, and put this discussion at risk of closure. This topic is designed for members who wish to ask questions about and discuss the new Acura TL, not for a brand war.

Helpful hint: If you don't like Acura (or Honda) in general, you're probably in the wrong discussion. If you need assistance finding appropriate discussions, please e-mail me or use the search tools to the left. Thanks.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    For the past few months i've been keeping an eye out for the next car i'd like to own, and i've always admired acura's styling & power. What really sold me on the idea of getting an acura lately was the fact that my friend has a 91 acura Legend with 240,000 miles (never rebuilt the engine or tranny) and it's still running strong. But recently people on this message board people have been complaining about acura's tranny (especially the 99-2002 TL) what's happening here? Is the new TL going to solve these issues? One of the main issues that sold me on making an acura my next car was overall reliability....i hope acura's addressing this.
    Well, I think the next TL, as with all Honda models will be as reliable as any other brand/model. The auto tranny has never been one of Honda's strong suit. But everything is relative. If a Chrysler had the same tranny problem, it probably wouldn't even raise an eyebrow next to all the other problems. But on a Honda, it stands out like a sore thumb.
    what other Chrysler's problems?
    It may be easier to list what they haven't had problems with. I don't know anyone with any Chrysler product who hasn't had a laundry list of problems. One guy literally cannot keep his LH sedan on the road --- and he's a Chrysler mechanic!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    My friend drives a 1999 Chrysler 300M. He has had no problems since the day he drove off the lot- and he's a know nothing about cars. This next TL deserves a better transmission. But then again, no car is perfect. The 300M has its own problems.
    There's the key! You know what they say...ignorance is bliss. :)
    I drove a 300M for 3 years. No problems.

I switched to a TL-S - bang, 6,100 miles later the Acura tranny crapped out.
    Of course, there are exceptions to everything. But in all sincerity, I would roll the dice with a Honda product over a Chrysler, Ford, or GM anytime (if reliability is the issue).

In Chrysler' case, I think it was doubly unfortunate in that they had some great styling designs marred by subpar execution.
  • c182skylanec182skylane Member Posts: 64
    Should I wait until the '04s are out? The pricing on the '03s are favorable right now. There sure are a lot of complaints here about a bad transmission....
    Transmission issue is history. Get the one that you feel will return more for your money. 2004 will be in high demand for a while, so expect close to MSRP on those (which may be a grand or two more than current model to start with). OTOH, the outgoing model (2003) will make price negotiation a piece of cake (invoice) to go with good financing rate.
  • c182skylanec182skylane Member Posts: 64
    so, new 2003 TL's on the lot should have improved transmissions?

I now have two quotes for a new 2003 TL Type-S (no NAV) for $28,500. (Invoice is $29,052) One price includes 'mud guards' and 'wheel locks'. Should I try for lower? it can't hurt to ask, right?? one dealer has 18 Type-S cars (42 total TL) in stock and the other has 14 Type-S cars in stock. What do you think is the absolute bottom line for these guys? How desperate should they be to get rid of them for the incoming 2004's??
    That's a good price.
    I paid $200.00 over invoice back on 12/30/02.
    The only suggestion I would make is for you to revist the dealer on 29-30th of this month and suggest to them to knock off another $200.00 or so.
    They want to fill monthly quotas so month end is the best time to deal.
    Go late afternoon.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    somebody got their panties wet or something on that post where they said they hated Honda.

About Chrysler, Ford, or GM they have gotten alot better in reliability/quality area since 1998.

About the TL's trans yeah it hasn't been that great. I hope Honda does not rush the new TL out just to sell it. Honda did that with the 03 Accord and that resulted numerous complaints about a lot rattling.

About the Domestic's having problems Ford had 11 rcalls with the Focus, the Ford Escape starting/stalling problems when the Escape first debut(Jaque Nasser era Ford was terrible.) The mid to late 90's Caravan had Tranny problems. So yeah Honda's problems do stick out like a sore thumb.

About Chrysler they do have great exterior designs and I do believe they have their quality sharightened out.
    It seems many of the manufacturers (Lexus/Toyota, BMW, Nissan/Infiniti come to mind) can reprogram many of the electronic features to suit individual customers. I'm talking about things like delay time for auto-off headlights, auto-lock and unlock, passive locking, volume of the audible "beeps" on keyless entry systems, etc. Does anyone know if Honda/Acura offers the same thing?
    doesn't seem to be the case with Acura. Also I don't think I can reprogram things in my RX300 either.
    The dealer can reprogram your RX. There is a whole list of stuff they can change from the factory default settings.
    Chrysler does have it's quality straight, but it still is no Honda. Seems like Honda is having the transmission blues.
  • bhrobertsbhroberts Member Posts: 13
    Are we sure, yet, that the new TL will be offered with a manual transmission option?
  • samangsamang Member Posts: 43
    WSJ had an article about dealer mark downs due to redesigns. Stated new TL will have 270HP.
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    A lot of discussion having nothing to do with the O4 TL. Horsepower - 275. Yes a manual transmission will be offered with the HPT option (high performance tire).
    Color combos for the 04TL:
    Desert Mist Metallic-Ebony or Parchment
    Nighthawk Black Pearl-Quartz or Ebony or Camel or Parchment
    Abyss Blue Pearl-Quartz or Camel
    Anthracite Metallic-Ebony or camel or Quartz
    Deep Green Pearl-Camel or Parchment
    Redondo Red Pearl-Ebony or Camel or Parchment
    White Diamond Pearl-Quartz or Parchment
    Satin Silver Metallic-Quartz or Ebony

Of course navi is an option. Satellite radio and bluetooth standard. I think curtain bags are standard too.
  • peter7777peter7777 Member Posts: 24
    Wow, we finally get to see a photo of the instrument cluster "head-on". The steering wheel and center stack look more refined than what we saw earlier. I'm not sure how I'm going to react to all that power (I'm driving a 91 Buick, can you believe it?) but I think I'll give it a go.
    More details revealed at autoweek.com

3.2 liter V6, 270 HP, 238 lb.-ft.
    5-sp Sport Shift Auto or 6-sp manual
    Limited Slip Differential is standard w/6-sp

Also standard is 8-speaker 225W DVD-audio, Bluetooth, and XM Radio (first three months paid).
    Anyone know how dark the Abyss Blue is? I don't think it's ever been used on any other Honda. (The Odyssey, Pilot, CR-V, Civic, Accord all use Midnight blue)The Redondo red looks darker than the Redondo red on the MDX. Anyone also know what color interior Camel is? I know Ebony, Quartz are like Grayish and Charcoal, and Parchment is tan. But Camel has also never been used on any other Honda. I want a tan interior with my Abyss Blue, and it looks like Honda has finally heard me. (The Blue at the Honda division is combined with a gray interior- what I don't want but I'll settle for it.)
  • lroin67lroin67 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 02 TL type S with 35K miles. The original rotors were reserfaced at 9k and 16k then replaced at 27k. Now the new (better and improved) rotors need to be reserfaced again. This is my wife car and she does not ride the brakes. Acura has not charged us anything for any of the repairs. Has anyone else had these rotor issues?

Thanks, from Chicago
    maybe your rotors were made of the same material as my tranny?