Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    Good news for Canadian buyers. Acura.ca has finally updated their website. Now you can build and price the new TL in Canadian dollars.

http://www.acura.ca/AcuraEng/Models/TL/Overview.htm
  • tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    To Somepair..

On a 04 TL... I was quoted a price of $1100.00 for 7/75k or $ 1000.00 with a $50.00 deductible.
  • somepairsomepair Member Posts: 5
    Much Thanks tedescm1

Al
  • jmichaelpjmichaelp Member Posts: 29
    In Anthracite/Quartz, which looked pretty nice. The dealer has the Anthracite/Quartz 6-spd and Black/Quartz 6-spd that will be available mid-November, so it's either those colors or order & wait longer.

The other car I'm going to test-drive is the 2004 Volvo T-5. Nice incentives already out on the Volvos. Has anyone compared the two?
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    For what it is worth...IMO

I believe I understand the way these boards/threads are put together. You do not have a board for an "Acura TL"...but you do have a board for "Sedan" which includes discussions on the TL.

I know this is how the system was set up at Edmunds, but I think it would be better if this could EVOLVE to boards by a particular model.

I would bet that most people look for info by model type than by car type (sedan/coupe).

If someone wanted to look at sedans instead of a particular make/model, you/Edmunds could have a "program" that would identify all cars that would qualify as a sedan, then the "shopper" could look at each of those boards/threads.

I realize this make be a too significant change to what has already been established, but IMO it would make your site BETTER.

1243 of 1294 by kirstie_h HOST Oct 16, 2003 (7:32 pm)
    OK, just to clarify... there is no Acura TL "board." It's a view you choose when you use the make/model drop-down menus. The boards here are divided into Sedans, Coupes, Hatchbacks, etc. Unfortunately, we can't just move this to the Sedans board as-is. The issue is that, if we start having a different discussion there for each re-design of each make/model, things will quickly get out of hand for the Sedans host, Pat.

I understand why you would like this discussion to remain open, and we're talking behind the scenes about the best way to do this. In the mean time, this board is staying open here. Thanks for your patience while we work things out!

(question mark gone, btw)
  • dbs8dbs8 Member Posts: 13
    I owned a 98 TL, it was a completely trouble-free car for three years, Just not exciting. I am currently driving a Lexus SC300 and I have driven several diffrent Lex models as service loaners-All nice but boaring. This year I decided to wait for the new BMW 530i. It drvies great but looks like a Pontiac. Then I see an ad for this new TL, I test drove it and I am in love! It was a lot of fun and had everything I want in a car for $19k less than the BMW. Now deciding on colors, the fake wood looks kind of cheap. I wonder if the fake carbon fiber looks as bad, I have not seen it in person. The nav package is a cool toy, this is such a great price for this car, I can justify it.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    dbs8: I think you're making the right decision getting the new TL over the BMW 530 -- congratulations! I saw the carbon fiber trim on both ebony and quartz interiors: it's decent and it blends in very nicely with the leather and aluminum. Exterior colors, I like the anthracite. Nav package is a cool toy as you say, but it's a $2,000-toy! :-)
    Good luck!
  • king_georgeking_george Member Posts: 33
    check out this guys sweet pearl white 2004 TL....

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery/showalbum.php?aid=198&uu- id=898
  • jbouchebjboucheb Member Posts: 19
    Hey, does that TL in the link you provided include any ground effects or is that all stock?

Thx.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The White almost looks too white. Or maybe it's just the way it shows in the photos. I saw an '04 MDX in White which I thought also was too white. I would prefer a slightly off-white, like the white on the 1999-2000 Prelude.
  • torontotltorontotl Member Posts: 60
    The 2004 TL I test drove was a WDP colour and I thought it was a nice colour. The white is not super white, but is a nice pearly white that is actually to my eyes a bit off white.
  • torontotltorontotl Member Posts: 60
    I actually thought the fake wood looked really good. However, if you don't like it I thought the carbon fibre trim looked really nice with the ebony interior in the TL in the showroom. I like the shine it gives the black interior along with the aluminum trim.
    The white TL shown in the link is not stock. It has the ground effects package installed on it.
  • msf2msf2 Member Posts: 88
    Will TL pricing remain at MSRP or will it come down a bit this year, and when?
  • king_georgeking_george Member Posts: 33
    is ground effects = aero kit ?
    Yup.
    At this point, it's anyone's guess. I think it's bound to soften a bit, but you likely won't see it tumble for a couple of years.
    Here's a review on the 2004 TL I thought was interesting.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=6501
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    Finally got to test drive the Black with yellow (camel ) interior tonight. Salesman or should I say saleskid did not want to shut up and wanted to show me all the features on the navi and stereo. I told him that I am only interested in the car and not the other gimmicks. I want it to see if the car had any torque steer and was able to track straight. I also point it out to him that the glove compartment door did not fit properly....he said that this is not right and he will look into it.
    Now to the test...car is silky smooth and adequate power at low and high RPM, very quiet, brakes are fine and stereo is outstanding.
    Here is the bad part, car was pulling consistently to the left at highway speeds but minimal torque steer when accelerating.
    From my 40yrs of driving experience this would indicate a bad tire. Saleskid admitted this is not right and will investigate and get back to me. Also, I challenged him on the difference of the US vs Canadian warranty, he did not have an answer.
    Overall I like the car a lot and will probably purchase silver with black interior if I get satisfactory answer on the pull to the left and of course will test drive again after they correct the problem. Test drive took 75 minutes.
    During my test drive of the 2004 TL last week, I experienced no such phenomena. The car drove straight as an arrow. And, under heavy acceleration on the highway, there was no torque steer whatsoever. I think your hunch about a bad tire is correct. It was probably under inflated. With my 2000 TL, I experience virtually no torque steer even if I accelerate with my hands off the steering wheel.

The problem with the glove box is very unusual for Acura. Unless it was damaged during or after delivery, that car should not have left the factory. Regardless, don't rely on that sales kid. I would go to another Acura dealership and ask for an experienced sales person and another test drive. Unfortunately, all Acura dealerships are not created equal.

Canadian Warranty:
    Major component – 5 year/100,000 km
    Vehicle – 3 year/60,000 km
    Rust Perforation – 5 year unlimited distance
    Surface Corrosion – 3 year unlimited distance
    24-hour Roadside Assistance for the first four years of ownership
    Accessories – 3 year/60,000 km
    3.2-Liter V6 Engine - No scheduled tune-ups required for 168,000 km

US Warranty:
    Vehicle - 4 year/50,000 miles
    Outer Body Rust-through - 5 year/unlimited miles
    Acura Total Luxury Care (TLC) with roadside assistance - 4 year/50,000 miles
    Accessories - 4 year/50,000 miles
    3.2-Liter V6 Engine - No scheduled tune-ups required for 105,000 miles
    Anybody knows the market price for an extended warranty for 7 years/100,000 miles for the TL?
    See message #1292.
    If you read the Accord boards, you will see quite a few postings about the '03 Accord pulling right or left. Since the new TL is based on the Accord platform, I do have some concern whether this problem will also manifest itself in the TL. Of course I'm hoping, and assuming, that after having had a year with the platform, Honda has corrected whatever needed to be corrected. I was not able to confirm this during my whopping 10-minute test drive. I will have to have a longer test drive before committing to a purchase.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    I am going to purchase a 04 TL here in a couple months when I return to the U.S. This will be my first purchase of a new car, or any car for that matter from a dealer. So a lot of these concepts are new to me. Like extended warranties. Do I need one on a new TL? If so for this particular model is it better to buy it from the dealer or going to one on the online sites like WarrentyDirect. CarBuyingTips.com strongly recommends not buying an extended warranty from a dealer but rather from on an online site where it is cheaper. Any suggestions or advice?
    Has anyone seen the Desert Mist in the flesh? Does it look gold/beige, or stone? I seem to recall that it was also offered in another Honda/Acura model for 2003, but can't remember which one.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Desert Mist was offered on the 2003 Accord, and is still offered for 2004... it's definitely gold/beige.
    I hope you are correct since I like the car and the price is right.....it worries me what bodble 2 had to say since I also experienced this problem with accords. When I drove a brand new Accord Coupe 2003 there was no pulling but when I drove the same car ( Srvice mgr's car ) 3 months later the pull was there and also to the left.
    My 2002 Accord Coupe was doing the same...changed tires and the problem was gone but I think it is slowly coming back ( pull to the left). My wifes 2003 civic is tracking perfect!
    In my test drive yesterday, I tried to "politely" shut the glove compartment a couple of times & it wouldn't shut. The salesman told me to slam it, which I did & it closed properly. If others are having this same problem, then it may be a design flaw...
    I'll have to inspect the glove box door more closely when I test drive the 6MT model this week.

I've owned Honda & Acura products for the last 14 years and I never had a problem with steering pull. However, because the steering setup on these cars is very precise, you will experience steering pull in varying degrees under the following conditions:

1) Incorrect tire pressure - even a couple pounds off may have an effect. To my wife's amazement, I can always tell when a tire on her Civic needs air just by driving it.

2) Uneven or sloped/graded roads - most highway roads are sloped or graded for water drainage. The more severe the grade angle is, the more pronounced is the steering pull.

3) Out of alignment - it wouldn't take much to knock out the front alignment on these cars, even slightly. For obvious reasons, this occurs more commonly with demos, loaners and especially front-wheel drive rental cars.

The above phenomena becomes even more pronounced when high-performance/low-profile tires are introduced into the mix.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Since the Acura should be very reliable and is completely covered for 4 years and 50,000 miles, it doesn't seem like a good candidate for an extended warranty if you are buying it new.
    If it turns out to be unreliable in the first 4 years, I would dump the car, not get an extended warranty.
    You can expect the most mechanical failures to start happening after 100,000 miles, when even an extended warranty would have expired and be no use.
  • sjmurray2sjmurray2 Member Posts: 65
    Any comments on cost of replacement tires for this wonderful sedan? On TireRack, it appears anywhere from $150-$200 per tire! I think that's a bit costly for the average working man who will buy this vehicle. Why did they not offer a better tread?
    I think the TL is for the "above average" working man. The average working man should buy an Accord. :)
    talon, thanks for the info.

I never really like the Desert Mist on the Accord. IMO, it looks conservative and forgettable. Kind of a piss gold (pardon the language). This means my choice for the TL will be down to between the Diamond White/Parchment, and Abyss Blue/Camel. I was hoping the Abyss Blue was less like midnight blue and closer to Eternal Blue.
    My dealer only has 6-spds in the Anthracite/Quartz and the Black/Quartz available for my mid-November purchase time-frame. I test drove the A/Q model car and thought that combination looked pretty good.

Any comments? Would Anthracite would hide dirt/swirls better?
    I have been driving Hondas and Acuras since 1975 and the best car I owned( in my opinion ) was the
    1987 Legend. I agree with you kahunah on the listed causes however a 50K ( cdn ) automobile should not have any pulling .... specially in the demo. What is interesting that the saleskid drove for the first 15 min to show me how to handle the car ( ha, ha ! ) and did not notice this and he told me that this was his 3 rd test drive today.
    When I pointed this out to him and demonstrated on the highway how the car wonders away regardless of the road conditions he had no defence. This may not be an issue for folks that drive in the city or novices.
    I am still waiting for his response and explanation.
  • sjmurray2sjmurray2 Member Posts: 65
    I am 46 Professional Career type looking for entry level luxury. I was waiting for this car, but I have concerns about it being stiff with the low profile tires. I balked at the G-35 for obvious reasons. ES300 had trainy issues and the German counterparts are far too temperamental. I feel like I have to start from scratch, and wait another year or two and buy a more expensive car. Just looking for a fine auto with some looks and one that's not going to be too slow out of the gate. The tires on this car worry me.
    I don't believe I violated any regulations! I only posted links to other sites discussing the subject.
    I would like an explanation, please.
    Most likely you provided a link that requires the user to have a login account with that website, otherwise the link cannot be opened. This is not allowed according to the posting rules.
    I think you should try the TL before making a decision. Even though the tires are 45 series, the height of the sidewall is almost the same as last year's 50 series tires because of the increased width. I personally find the Type-S suspension a little stiff if the road surface is rough, but not too bad over all. So if the TL has a softer suspension setup than last year's Type-S, the ride may be OK. Unfortunately my brief test drive did not afford me the time to form a conclusion about the ride.

BTW, it's interesting that your profile is very similar to mine, right down your view on the G35, ES, German brands, etc., and your objective for the new car. Well....you're older but we can't hold that against you :)
  • dbs8dbs8 Member Posts: 13
    Something I forgot to ask salesman: Does Acura offer service loaners like Lexus/BMW etc? The last time I owned an Acura I worked right next door to the dealership so it wasn't an issue. This is very important to me, even with an Acura-it's still first year!!

I drove the white/parchment with auto/nav. It looked like an expensive car to me. this is essentially the same combo I had on my 98 TL, it was pretty easy to keep looking good on the outside. I am leaning toward the desert mist/ebony w/6m and nav. I need to test the optional tires though.
    Kahunah: Thanks for your explanation.

The issue I wanted to raise is that a number of people who checked the new TL Navigation reported that the screen resolution is a bit fuzzy. They say when Acura increased the screen size from 6 to 8 inches they didn't adjust the DVD resolution accordingly, and that's why the maps look slightly out-of-focus. I think Acura owes it to a customer paying $2,000 to provide a sharp-looking navi screen! What do you guys think?
    The ride seemed pretty good to me. However, for the past two weeks I've been borrowing an old truck while I decide on & wait for my new car to arrive so anything's going to feel great :)

What are your choices for other 2004 near luxury/sport sedans (assuming you want a manual tranny)?
    BMW 5-series - pricey
    BMW 3- series - interior room, overall "small"
    Volvo S60 T-5/R - interior quality, interior room
    Saab 9-5 - pricey
    Cadillac CTS - quality, handling
    Infiniti G35 - interior quality, interior room
    Audi A6 - pricey
    Audi A4 - interior room, overall "small"
    Mercedes C-class- interior room, overall "small"
  • jbouchebjboucheb Member Posts: 19
    Hey, I think I asked this before but nobody knew...

What is the dealer holdback on these vehicles? Since they are "flying" off the lot, can we negotiate to have this amount deducted from the price...considering anyway how much we're getting raked for the difference between MSRP and INVOICE.

What does everyone think?
    Jboucheb: As far as I know, dealer's holdback is 3% of MSRP (so, holdback is about $990). When negotiating with a dealer it's a bad move to mention "holdback". I would contact multiple dealers in the area to get the best deal, then have the dealer throw in a few accessories that you want anyway, i.e. spoiler, splash guards, wheel locks, etc. It's easier for the dealer to add these because they don't cost him that much, rather than reducing the price.
  • mickedmicked Member Posts: 32
    I have not driven the g35 yet. I did test drive the new tl and loved it. I am waiting for the AWD g35 before driving it, but in the meantime for those of you that drove both cars, how does the ride compare?

Thanks,

Eddie G
    You can post links to published matter (magazine articles and the like), sites that sell related products, etc., among other things. In fact, you can link to most anything as long as the linked item is topical. But as I found out personally some time ago, the powers-that-be frown on any links to another forum... the other forums are "the competition", and linking to them is in violation of the membership agreement. Sounds like that's what you might have done.
    As an average working man, I've encountered a similar "issue" with the glove compartment on my 2003 Accord. Because of the damping employed, you're pushing against that damping when closing it, and it requires a fairly firm push. I believe this is normal.
    The "Member Agreement" doesn't refer in any way to prohibiting a link to another forum, but I guess it's kind of unwritten tradition vs. "the competition" as you put it! :-) I'm still waiting to hear from the host of this forum as to why they removed my messages!
    Trust me, that's probably the issue. I violated this part of the agreement by linking to a Nissan site just to show the types of complaints that Altima owners have, in response to someone else's position on complaints about the Accord.

The agreement states:

"You agree to not promote other auto forums that provide message boards or chats."

And just linking to such message boards is considered promotion.

If this is what happened, you should receive an e-mail outlining the nature of your violation.
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    dbs8 - Loaners are hit or miss with Acura dealers. Sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't. Acura's loaner program is nowhere near as good as Infiniti or Lexus. Overall, I find the consumer service to be lacking at Acura.

1violinist - The TSX and TL have similar nav systems. I have the TSX and the Nav screen is very clear with no blurs at all. I seriously doubt there is any problem with the TL's system, which also figures to be excellent.

General comment on ride quality - I wonder about this too. My TSX is very stiff and fairly busy on the highway. The ride in my '96 Accord was much more comfortable. I hope the ride is a lot better n the TL.