Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• msf2msf2 Member Posts: 88
    Hand wash or machine drive through?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Everything you ever wanted to know about Zaino can be found in this M&R discussion.

Zaino Car Polishes/Products--Your Experiences
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Go to Costco and get the all seoson mats for $20.00.
    They are the same mats Acura sells, the only difference is a missing Acura logo.
    I bought two pairs, one for the parchment interior of my TLS and the other for the grey interior of my wife's Accord.
    So far they are working out just fine.

As for waxing I would recommend twice per year as the previous poster said- one just before the winter and the other during the latter half of spring.

I never take my cars to car washes, unless it is one of those HAND CAR WASH-I literally mean hand car wash.Just the way you would do it in your driveway.

Quick secret- use Meguires Quick Detailer after every wash, you would be surprise to see the how it brings out the paint.

When I gave back my Millennia (off lease), the lease inspector was amazed, he thought the car was brand new-apart from a keying.
  • scblues2000scblues2000 Member Posts: 2
    I have been following the postings in here closely, and have also done my homework on the new 04TL. Picked mine up last Wednesday (blue/camel w/ nav). This car is a dream! I had a 01 CL/S before, and it was great as well. I originally was leaning towards the green/camel combo, but when I actually saw it, the camel looked too orange. But with the blue exterior, it really brings out the camel interior. At night when the dash is on max, it's like the whole inside of the car is lit up!

I've already had it out a few times and the ride is great; the seats are comfortable; and the sound system is awesome---but too many choices now :-)

Have fun with y'alls TLs!
  • debis04tldebis04tl Member Posts: 38
    Hi everybody, Does anyone know if Zaino products are available in Canada ?
    BTW, that is supposed to be a Canadian flag up there... WHAT HAVE I DONE ??
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I thought Paul Martin changed the Canadian flag just to distant himself from the Chretian legacy! :)
    Your funny.... you could have said that you thought Mr. Martin was moving us all to Algeria, it's their flag. I just know I did something wrong. I do know what I did but I don't know how to fix it. HELP!! Hurry, before the PM gets word of this.
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    Algeria?! Bet they still have lower taxes than we do...

scblues2000 - Many congrats! Fun is all you can have in this car!
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    If you try it, you will never go back to waxing.

Wax really doesn't last 6 months, I found the protection from ANY wax faded quickly after about 6 weeks - 2 months tops. With Zaino polymer you can REALLY go 6 months, and it takes only 20 easy minutes to re-do the car.

Go to the Zainostore web site and you can find out if they will ship to Canada, or if there is a private distributor there.

It sounded too good to me in the beginning, like some sort of Snake Oil. I followed the forum for a year and after hundres of ONLY positive comments I decided to try it, and then I wished I had started sooner. There is nothing like it. Now that we have the ability to start on perfectly clean and new paint, it is the BEST time to start with Zaino. The car will ALWAYS look better than new, and with little effort.

Here's a pic of our TSX with Zaino. The TL gets done Sunday.

Gorgeous-that's all I can say. Please post the TL after you wax.

scblues2000-Funny how the interior and exterior colors need to blend to be appreciated. I couldn't like the Anthracite/Camel even though separately they looked good to me. I just saw the Redondo Red with Camel and was blown away. That may be the ticket for me if I buy this car.
    Enjoy your TL.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    In order to emigrate from Algeria to Canada here's what you do:
    Click on "My Profile" on the left and re-enter your address, then click on "Submit" at the bottom of the page. Be careful not to put "Afghanistan" this time! :-)
  • gcruzsmithgcruzsmith Member Posts: 22
    I just purchased my brand new 04 Acura TL on 11/14/03.

Everything is working great! (Navigation, HandsFree, XM Radio, etc.)

Having problems training my garage door opener with the Home Link System. My home was built in 2001 so there shouldn't be a problem with the garage manufacturer.

I have tried both the basic transmitter and homelink training option and the roll garage option. I've also checked out the website www.homelink.com

Anyone out there having the same problem? Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions!

Thanks!
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Can we get this polymer at Pepboys or AutoZone?
  • gregory28gregory28 Member Posts: 174
    Congratulations on your purchase!
  • jere2jere2 Member Posts: 5
    I've been reading the comments on the new TL and I thought I would add my comments.

I bought my TL on October 10 and have over 1,300 miles on it. There is nothing that I do not like about the car. Shortly after I bought it I had to take a trip of 250 miles. I kept the speed around 60 mph (it was had to do) and the info center registered 34mpg. I also refilled the tank and came up with the same mileage. I would expect this mileage to get even better when the engine is broken in, around 6,000 miles. This is my first car with the Nav system and I will not buy another car without it. If I was going to worry about the depreciation of the Nav system, I would not buy a new car as it will depreciate even more, dollar cost not percentage cost.

I am looking forward to go to a new city on a trip and be able to find restaurants, hotels, and entertainment without getting lost.
  • njdriver2njdriver2 Member Posts: 40
    1) clear out the homelink memory. I think you hold the two outside buttons for until the lights start blinking quickly.
    2) train the button you want to associate with the garage remote. hold both buttons at the same time until light on homelink starts blinking fast.
    3) go into garage and press "train" button once on the garage door opener.
    4) run back to car and press the homelink button you just trained twice. on the second press you should see the garage door opener light flash. The homelink is now ready to use.
  • retalerretaler Member Posts: 4
    I picked up my 2004 TL on the 18th. As of this morning I have 138 miles. This morning the car would not shift out of 1st gear (automatic). I tried shifting myself with the semi-automatic. I started to drive to the dealer about a mile away but could only drive in 1st gear. The engine light went on and the green light that marks what gear you are in started blinking and the car died. It was towed to the dealer, and I am driving a crappy P T Cruiser loaner. Needless to say I am one unhappy camper. Who knows when I will get my TL back and I have a serious road trip planned.
    Good Luck to the rest of you.
    You should go see the manager of the dealer right now and ask for a new car. A crapped out tranny right of the box is not acceptable.
    My worst nightmare. Sorry to hear about that. Will you keep us posted?
    Well I followed instructions to get back to Canada but it did not seem to work. By the time I find out how to change my country of origin I may like it here.. NOT. Anyway I hope you guys are laughing with me and not at me. Thanks for the info. on Zaino.. looks like I will have to order it directly from NJ. On Oct.15 my wife and I accepted an invitation to view the new TL. On Oct.18 we ordered a WDP with parchment, then we waited and waited... finally this week my salesman tells me it will be here in about two week, and something about they only paint them white every so often. I am sure I could walk faster from Ohio, maybe. Anyway I have been reading everything related to the TL for the last month and can hardly wait. I would like to see how my car is made. It would be nice if a video came with it.. any comments.
    It can't be bought in stores, as the Zaino Brothers service primarily the Show Car industry. However you can buy on line at zainostore.com, and they also have many private distributors around the country you can buy from. It's not a big deal - the supply you get lasts a year or more.
    Finally I am back where I came from... now to more important things. If anyone cares, Zaino products are distributed by Mike Adams, (mike@zaino.ca) in Guelph, Ont. in Canada.
  • prelecprelec Member Posts: 15
    I picked up my wdp/parch about 5-6 weeks ago(can you believe I can't remember the exact day-hour-minute?) It has met all of my expectations, but there are a couple of annoyances(small I'll grant you, but I think that's why people come to this forum, to hear this stuff).
    The biggest gripe is probably the rear view- ya can't see nuttin. I mostly use my mirrors, but if I was a head-turner I'd be sorely disappointed.
    On delivery, the glove box did not line up properly. After they ordered the wrong part, I'm still waiting for resolution.
    There are a few(3-5) bubbles in the paint. The service guy at Niello Acura says he wouldn't risk trying to paint parts of a new car. I don't know if he'sjust trying to get out of fixing it or what. They are not very noticeable, but I know they are there.
    The gas mileage has been bad(17-19), but average speed has been 25-28 mph. I don't really mind too much, cause the performance is worth every penny.
    On the other hand, what a great driving car. This thing is a rocket when you step on it. I handles well, is VERY comfortable(6'2"), and the stereo is awesome. I really love it, but I thought you might like to hear about shortcomings
    I found another feature on the TSX that we do not have on the TL -

On the TSX there is a rubber button above the license plate to unlock the trunk when the car is unlocked. The TL doesn't have this convenience.

We are also missing the GREAT turn signal lights in the mirrors.

Strange that the higher level car should be missing some refinements on the lower level (and older) model.

I guess that we'll have to make do with all the other great goodies on this car!

Today I bought the DTS DVD of Steely Dan's "Gaucho". It is incredible - I sat in the car and listened to the whole thing!

I also checked my tire pressures - I found 35-37 psi as it came. Lowered them a little and the ride is now "perfect", and the steering seems more accurate.
  • jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    Automophile,

I have shown for several years and recently have been judging at shows. McGuires still appears to be the most widely used product applied by hand. When I have the time, I prefer to use a professional wax/teflon product applied with the buffer. Application takes a while but the results are incredible. That being said, I am always looking for a product that can be applied by hand and give me the results I achieve with the machine. McGuires Medallion gets very close, goes on and off easy and, it does last a long time. That being said, I am always looking for something better. So I will try the Xaino. Do you use the XFX cure extender?

Thanks,

J
    Hey it worked! Thanks for your help. That homelink section in the owner's manual should be re-written (perhaps by you) :)

Again, thanks for your response - I appreciated it!

Geri
    Aahh the other extra features the '04 TL doesn't have:

External trunk release
    External blinkers on the outside mirrors

I was also wondering about the trunk release and noticed no key hole or button to open it from the outside.

I also have another feature the TL could have had and that is a code key on the driver's side handle in case you lock yourself out.

I guess we'll be seeing these in the '05 model. Should I trade in my '04 then and get the best of the best :)
  • philipnowphilipnow Member Posts: 24
    Automophile, thanks for the tip about checking tire pressures. Mine were a couple psi above the recommended pressure of 32 psi. I'll be interested to see if/how that affects the ride.
  • ihabermanihaberman Member Posts: 58
    I noticed this as well...strange that something that adds to a perception of luxury would be on the lower priced TSX. I imagine they will add it on in '05, and any of us can purchase the new side mirrors then to keep the car looking modern.
    I thought the mirror blinkers on the TSX are too narrow. They don't look as good as the ones on MBs. TLs have the side blinkers anyway.
  • newbie66newbie66 Member Posts: 3
    Does the 2004TL have an immobilizer? If not, what does it have for a security "system"?
  • tsxfan19tsxfan19 Member Posts: 28
    All Honda/Acura automobiles have the engine immobilizer now.
  • tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    doesn't have the same or similar key/fob as the '03 Accord. Does anyone know if in '05 they will change this as well? The laser cut key is very nice, esp with the remote built into the head.
  • eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    When I attended the auto show at the Anaheim Convention Center in California, the salesman tested the blinkers on the TL and the amber side markers did not blink.

The large TL brochure does say, under Safety Features, that the the door mirrors have "integrated directional signals". The salesman said that he was told that the TL was planned to have the signals but then the designers decided that with the amber front side markers, the door mirror signals were overkill. Unfortunately, the brochures had been printed and it was decided not to do a reprint of that page.

Since it seems that everyone wants this feature, it will probably be added for '05'.
  • jeffxpjeffxp Member Posts: 33
    Those mirror blinkers look cheesy I'm glad they don't exist on my new TL. The car is beatiful just the way it is.
  • deetdeet Member Posts: 3
    I was originally "driven" toward a German engineered car for my next lease and wanted to stay away from a BMW despite the reasons to consider the vehicle (BMW is the official car of Dallas with the ability to spot a 3 or 5 series at any stop light). I have enjoyed to feel of the test drives in the A4 3.0 Quattro despite my concerns over the lack of size, but am now taken by the features/price on the 2004 TL. I have driven each twice and understand completely the features. One side of me says to go with the driving experience offered by the Audi and pay a few extra $, the other side of me feels that I'll experience claustrophobia after 6 months and wish that I had gone to the TL with all the additional sexy features. So, while I realize that it's a personal decision (drive vs. feature) I'd like to see if the board can offer me any information to sway my decision. Much thanks.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    "a few extra $"??? According to carsdirect.com, an Audi A4 3.0 Quatro configured with the same options as TL (had to select Premium, Sport, Cold Weather and Infortainment packages + leather upholstery option) is $40,355 MSRP, $37,000 invoice. That's agains TL's $33,000 MSRP and $31,000 invoice. To most people $7,000 is a lot more than a few extra dollars. Even COMPLETELY stipped down, the A4 3.0 Quatro is over a $1,000 more than TL, but then it's not even remotely comparable. If you get it without all these options, you will very soon regret that you didn't buy a TL.

I've learned my lessons the hard way: if you have doubts, when buying a car, and wish that you either got a different car or bought additional options, you will very soon get an itch to trade up. It will then cost you a lot more than if you just followed your gut initially.
  • atlguyatlguy Member Posts: 2
    I recently test drove the new TL and was more than impressed with the ride quality and all the features this car offers! The only thing my salesman didn't speak to was whether or not the TL has auto on headlights. He told me they have auto off, but I really like the auto on feature (I have it on my current car). I was hoping TL owners could tell me if auto on is a memory setting that can be programmed?
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    just turn on the headlights and never turn them off. That's what I do with my 2002 TL-S.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Member Posts: 1,031
    if Acura does release a Type S of the TL, would it most likely have a 3.2L DOHC V6 24V iVTEC engine with about 300HP??? just wondering if anyone else also thought that there is going to be a new Type S!! :)
    The TL has 50 more horsepower, handles better, is bigger, and according to the last issue of Consumer Reports Acura is the most reliable car built! Lexus and Toyota were 4 percentage points back in terms of reliability. Audi's have had some service problem years lately. The Audi is at least $6k more when an apples to apples comparison is made with similar features.

The TL has the best from the factory sound system on the planet, Hands-free cell through the sound system and just an all out more fun car to drive.

There's an Audi dealer around the corner from me and it would have been ultra convenient to purchase one. I'm not sure what the A4 3.0 has going for it in a comparison. Nicer leather seats, I guess.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The ride is about as hard on the new "base" model as the old Type S and I don't think the platform can handle much more power with front wheel drive.
    Plus there is already the A-Spec for those who want a harder ride yet.
    They should have come out with a luxury model with real wood trim, quieter, more compliant tires and extra sound insulation.
  • nyshappynyshappy Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone...i have been reading posts for about 3 weeks now, and have finally decided to register...I currently lease a 2002 TL with Nav, and am deciding on getting the new TL in June when the lease expires. I think overall, they have done a great job with the new design, but like with any car, there are always a few minor details that can be overlooked.
    The biggest problem I face with Acura, here in New York, is that leasing is next to impossible with Honda/Acura, due to our new laws. We now have to pay tax on the whole car, not just the portion used as in the past, plus the money factor and rates are higher. Getting extra mileage is nearly impossible, and if you are lucky enough to get some, the pre-paid mileage allowance is .18 or more per mile.
    A recent post about comparing the A4 to the TL had one glaring omission. Since my wife has the A4, I can speak from experience. You are forgetting the MAJOR difference: QUATRO!!!! The Acura does not have all wheel drive, and Audi has arguably THE best all wheel drive system out of any car manufacturer. The quatro adds a lot of coin to the car, but it is worth it up here in NY. The interior of the Audi is far superior to any Japanese car: the quality and care going into every detail. Plus, FREE service maintenance at ANY Audi dealership for everything except tires. That adds up to a lot of savings.
    Dont get me wrong, I LOVE my TL, and most likely plan on getting the new one, but the few extra thousand more that the Audi charges is well worth it also.

i love the anthracite or the black exterior! so many choices!!
    anyway, I will be contributing more, now that I am a registered member here...
    Marc
    oh boy, I am sure the tranny would be happy about getting more HP!
    what the heck happened with NY and leasing situation?

I guess I moved out ot NY right on time. No problem with leasing in South Florida :)
    Yes, ruski, you moved out in time...basically the problem here is the vicarious liability law that "exists only in New York, Connecticut and Rhode Island, and makes the company that owns the leased vehicle responsible for damages when the driver and lessee gets into an accident".

Its the insurance companies that screamed holy terror, and now we are all suffering....the more than 20% of drivers here that lease cars, are now moving towards German auto makers because they do not practice this rip-off....

It is making it VERY difficult for me to lease this new Acura.

I hope that our good Republican lawmakers can beat the Trial Lawyers and liberal Democrats that are supporting this raping of the NYer. The dealerships hate it too by the way...
    ruski: is that the Colombian flag by your name? South Florida really has been densely populated by folks from South America. :-)
    Acura has free maintenance for the first 50k miles also. Hopefully, we won't have to bring it in for anything other than oil changes/tire rotations.
  • pg48477pg48477 Member Posts: 309
    Yes, there is no lease in NY, not only for Acura, Audi and VW are not leasing after this month. They do offer a similar program, the difference is you pay taxes up front, but my dealer told me that if you take this new program you would not have to pay any fees (bank fee, security deposit) and they also pay your first payment. So at the end it comes up to about the same thing.
    Acura does not have free maintenance period. They do not pay for oil changes, filters, wipers, checkups, etc.
    Gregory28, if you have that, then a deal must have been worked out by that particular dealer, because Acura does not have that policy.

PG48477, I know GM (GMC, Saab, Pontiac, etc.) does not lease either, but I was unaware that Audi/VW will now be doing that....
    that truly is awful....!
    I hope that by June of 2004, the laws are changed to help us leasors...