Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    Raleigh72 - I just got a '01 for $26,700 and didn't have to try too hard. The dealer took the offer over the web. My wife wouldn't let me install a spoiler myself, so we had to pay another $600 for that. Still, that's less than the $28K+ that your dealer quoted.

On a glorious note, we picked up the car last Saturday. We love it. On a not so glorious note, it's already been back to the dealer!!! Turned out to be a bad fuse (no biggie), but they found that the fuse box cover was from a CL. Whazzup with that!?! Anyone else have this happen? Just one of those 'things that makes me go hmmm...'
  • twegleitnertwegleitner Member Posts: 1
    I have a new TL and really like the car, but I am getting a clicking sound from the engine compartment on the firewall, driver's side. May be a speedometer cable but not sure. Ideas??
    Thanks
  • raleigh72raleigh72 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, phatboy & varmit. I walked away from the dealer Friday after he said $27,500 with no nav and no wing was his best price. They called me back today to offer $27,300 plus they will give a little more on my trade in. This Houston dealer will also give two years free dealer maintenance which ought to be worth around $400 and they do not have any add on fees to smack you with after you make your deal. A fee of $385 or so for "preparation" or some such euphemism seems to be common around here.

Are the '02 models really due next month or is it just the Type S? I already saw a review somewhere comparing the S to a BMW.
  • phatboy1phatboy1 Member Posts: 10
    Yes, the word on the street is that both the '02 TL and TL-S will be at the dealers in mid-March. Some people who have pre-ordered a TL-S claim their dealer "confirmed" delivery by March 10. However, I guess there could be a number of things that may push the date back a bit.

If you're not interested in the 260 hp, better handling, larger wheels, and perf'ed leather that will be part of the TL-S, it may be a good choice to buy the '01 TL. The main improvements for the base '02 TL are memory seats and an in-dash 6 CD changer. If those aren't important to you, you'll save big $$ by going with the '01.
  • tomsrtomsr Member Posts: 325
    I have waited a year and finally got my TL at
    $27197 including wheel locks and mudguards,
    Probably not the best price but a heck of a lot
    better than the $29030 msrp.I have noticed when
    it is sitting in my garage there is a low level
    honking sound coming from somewhere.Any ideas?
    I also have a 98 CL with 50k miles and it is
    still like new.The only problem have had is premature brake lining wear covered under
    warranty.Happy motoring Ya'll.
  • prov1632prov1632 Member Posts: 10
    I got my non-nav for $26,600 including destination. I had 3 dealers going back and forth with "final best prices" for about 2 weeks - very painful..... All 3 had different "doc prep fees" or some other nonsense, so ended up asking for an "out the door" price. My deal included wheel locks and some free maintenance. Yes, with the 02s coming soon, they are more willing to deal. About 6 months ago they wouldn't budge off MSRP..

Almost 3000 miles on it already - love it.
  • wayduiwaydui Member Posts: 1
    I have the same clicking sound on my 2000TL. It comes from a solenoid mounted near the strut tower on the driver's side of the car. It is a black plastic part that has a cylinder shape in the vertical position. There is a wire harness connected to it. The noise is intermittent, but fairly constant when the car is warmed up. According to the dealer who checked it out, it is an emission control solenoid and the clicking is "normal". I don't think so. My mother and my father-in-law both have 2000 TVs and neither of theirs makes the same clicking sound.
    I plan to go back again to the dealer and now that I have your comments I will mention that I am not the only one with this issue. If I get it solved I'll post a follow-up here.
  • lphamxlphamx Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a brand new 2001 Acura 3.2TL in November of 2000 for approximately $30,700 at the Bloomington Acura Subaru dealership in Bloomington, Minnesota. Within the first week of taking it home, I could hear intermittent rattling in the sound system when the radio or CD was playing, often when the cellular phone (Nokia) was near the console. The rattling has increased in volume and frequency over the past 2 ½ months. About two weeks ago, I nearly swerved onto another car on a busy highway because I panicked from hearing a sudden loud explosion of buzzing and rattling and crackling noise coming from the console unit. At the time, my cellular phone was plugged into the cigarette lighter for recharging. The sounds did not stop until I turned off all the controls and yanked the re-charger cord from the cigarette lighter insert. The sounds resumed after I turned the radio back on. My new Acura had approximately 2,500 miles and it was at the Bloomington Acura Subaru Service Center for a week for inspection and possible repairs.

I have been in contact with the Acura Customer Service HQ and was told they were sending someone to look into the problem. Today, I met again with the service manager and the Acura manufacturer representative, and was later joined by the floor manager. They told me again that the problems I have been experiencing with my new car is not unusual, that the problem was the cellular phone and frequencies out there meshing, that there was nothing wrong with the car. The floor manager, at one point, commented that I should change my lifestyle, that I should not have a cellular phone in my car. The Acura representative said that I should change my driving habits. I asked to leave the car for further inspection and asked them to write me a note of what they had just told me and to provide some documentation of typical problems one might experience having a cell phone in a car. They refused to further look at my car, as they said that there was nothing wrong with it and that they would not provide a documentation trail, and asked me to leave.

With the Acura manufacturer representative standing beside him, the service manager put his hand on my back side and began shoving me towards the door. I felt intimidated. At that point, as the only woman customer there, I felt physically threatened, as there were other car salesmen hovering. I was on the verge of tears. I was told to get out of the dealership and never come back.

Please help me as I feel as if I am in a nightmare. My family has driven Hondas and Acuras for the past 20 years. We have at least 5 or 6 six of them right now. I do not think that these problems are representative of Acuras, but I am extremely anxious about the problems with the particular Acura I purchased and how I was treated. I am in the process of filing a complaint with the MN Better Business Bureau. If you have had similar experiences with the type of car (cellular-related?) problems I have described or have any suggestions, please email them to me at lphamx2@yahoo.com or leave a message at 1-888-392-4832, extension 612-416-2800. Please also report similar problems to your BBB, manufacturer and dealership.

With appreciation,
    Lan
  • texashombretexashombre Member Posts: 13
    I've posted this on Accord vs. TL but I figure more TL owners are at this conference. Thanks.

I own an Accord and Integra. I do like the TLs a lot. At my Honda dealer, an oil change for any Honda is $14.95 with coupon which is always readily available at their website. At my Acura dealer, an oil change for any Acura $27.95. Does anyone know why other than Acura name?
    My Honda dealer also said that they service Acura automobiles as well. So far I've taken my cars to its dealer (Honda at Honda and Acura at Acura). But I'm tempted to service my Integra at the Honda dealer. (Never again at Firestone. They screwed up my other Accord)
  • ctrcourtctrcourt Member Posts: 2
    I'm having the same clicking noise.
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    I own a 1990 Integra. I have taken it to the local Honda dealer for oil changes for the past 10 years. The Honda dealer is closer, and like you stated, the price at the Honda dealer was cheaper. I paid 19.95 at the Honda dealer vs. 27 at Acura.
  • robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    Cell phones should never be used while driving your Acura TL or any other vehicle. Regarding post 509 the floor manager had a viable alternative to the problem. I would like to see a cell phone company sued the next time someone causes an acident by their irresponsible use of the phone.
  • mhammy84mhammy84 Member Posts: 167
    robnis: You can easily argue the point you have made simply by observing the situation better. When the phone is being charged, it may not even be used. The phone must be in close proximity to the stereo in order to be causing any interference (my cell phone causes a lot of interference to my computer monitor only when the antenna is directly under the monitor). Therefore, the phone may not be in use when the problem occurs. You may be one of those activists who agree that cell phone use causes most accidents...I wont argue that claim, but I will say that cell phone use is NOT SOLELY responsible for accidents...even those people who simply load a cd or are eating are equally distracted as when using a phone. At least they're still looking at the road while on the phone.

lphamx: As both an Acura and Infiniti customer, I have never seen/heard of dealership employees asking their customers to leave. I have been through hell with my Infiniti service folks, and they still would never ASK me to leave...they may imply that I leave by saying that whatever I brought my car in for is "normal" in which case you would have to retrieve a second opinion from possibly another dealer. I just dont see a dealership asking their customer to "leave and never come back." Again, even with the hell that I went through, they never said that to me, and even still greeted me respectfully when I had to return (for the last time, and they knew it) for them to quickly check something.
  • heyerheyer Member Posts: 3
    Do you have a source more solid than "the Street"? Cleveland dealers don't have info on March or April delivery for the TL. I'm flipping back/forth on TL or TL-S and hate to wait til October!!
    Thank you rbonis(#513) and chammy(#514) for your responses.

I am trying to understand if the cell phone is the cause of the buzzing, crackling, rattling throughout the car sound system, as the manufacturer and dealership do not see this as unusual. Is this a common experience in the Aura 3.2TL? Is this a common experience in all other cars - for example, BMWs and Lexus of the same class? Fords? Hondas? Toyotas? Hugos? Are there any reports or news that you have seen that talk about how cellular phones may interfere with how the car performs?

If there is a link, as Acura and the dealership claim there is, I believe that all car and cell phone manufacturers and dealerships should disclose such safety hazards to all consumers.

For clarification, most of the time, I charge my cell phone at home. When these sounds occur, most of the time, my cell phone is just lying at the console, or other times, in my coat pocket or computer bag. During the particular incident I described, the phone was lying at the console being charged.

Thanks again for taking time to provide your comments.
    heyer, I think I answered your question on the acura-tl.com site. Nothing that I have read from so-called "official" news releases has contradicted the mid-March date. I can't imagine that Acura would release only the TL-S in March and wait until fall before releasing the base TL; that just doesn't make sense (e.g. different sheet metal, new colors, different wheels, etc.)

Regarding your decision on the TL vs. TL-S: the additional cost for the TL-S over the TL is predicted to be +/- $2.3k. I think it's worth the additional money. The #1 benefit of the TL-S is the better handling...the 35 hp increase is #2...the VSA is #3. If cost is a consideration (and for most of us non-stock-optioned people it is) I would easily choose a TL-S w/out nav over a base TL w/ nav.
  • snodogsnodog Member Posts: 12
    Just got my new issue of Car & Driver yesterday and they had a short article on the TL-S. Had some decent pictures. Also said that they will be available in March with about a $3500 premium over the base (estimated MSRP ~ $33000). Basically said the $3500 is worth every penny for the extras.

Anyone seen articles in other mags yet?
  • tag66tag66 Member Posts: 9
    Lan,

I have a Nissan Pathfinder and also get interference when the cell phone is in use. I have a headset and voice recognition dialing for any activists on the board. Nonetheless, I don't think you should be getting any interference with the phone just resting on the console. In any event, it sounds like the way they treated you was inexcusable. Acura in general is trying very hard to earn a 'first class' reputation for customer service. Those surveys that come out every time your car is serviced go directly to Acura headquarters and are used to evaluate a dealers performance. All dealers strive for the 'Precision Team Dealership of Distinction' award. I would definately call Acura client services (1-800-862-2872) and tell them about your incident. I don't think they would want your dealer continuing with that behavior.
    Yikes!...A $3500 premium for the TL-S is more than most people had speculated--I hope it turns out to be less than that. I'd think that C&D's number is more accurate though. Still, I agree with C&D that the extra $ is worth the step up to the TL-S...it's a bargain for what you get. Is the estimated $33k MSRP w/ or w/out nav?

Apparently there is also a two-page article on the TL-S in the Feb. 12 issue of AutoWeek. I don't know if it's out on news stands yet.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    A week or so ago someone started a TL-S discussion. Those interested in the new upcoming TL-S may want to consider joining this new discussion. It has just been "moved" to the top of the list.
  • varmitvarmit Member Posts: 1,125
    The Autoweek review is both positive and negative. Basically it took them two pages to say that the engine is great, the handling is good enough, and is the styling is on par for the class, but nothing to write home about. Then they tell you that the car leaves you wanting for more sport.

If it leaves me wanting for more sport, how much as I supposed to get from an upscale sedan?

It's not a bad review, they just apply a different standard than I would.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... here is a link: 2002 Acura TL-S.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    I should have mentioned the following earlier:

I use a StarTac dual-band phone with SprintPCS service (1900 MHz PCS) and have NEVER experienced any interference of any sort. I usually keep the phone under the coin holder, in that indented space between the seat heater switches. With the car stereo on, there is NO interference either when the phone is on, when it is ringing, or when I am using the phone. This all applies to my 2000 3.2TL and 2001 3.2CL, which has similar units (except for changer which shouldnt change anything with regard to interference). I also keep the phone close to the BOSE stereo in my Infiniti, and again, no interference. Perhaps the interference in your case is due to a cellular service which is NOT PCS (either Analog 800MHz or Digital Cellular 1800MHz).
  • heyerheyer Member Posts: 3
    I think the intro of 2 models in March would be a large effort for Acura. Besides, the TL-S is a logical "teaser" for '02 interest. It definitely gets us salivating and keeps the interest level high. It's the old trick of dribble-ing it out a little at a time. I could drive down the road a piece to see what they're pushing out the doors..........but in '99 I couldn't get near the storage lots at Marysville while on business trip. I went in the factory admin offices and pleaded for an early look.....but to no avail. The wait is killing me.
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Bought in 12/22/99. 34k miles now.

I am having problem with my remote. Sometimes it takes 6 tries for it to work but sometimes it works on the first try. I suspected it's the car key battery but the dealer says it's high tension wire that's causing the interference.
    I also have squeeky seats on uneven road (haven't tried lotion), and minor dash rattle for the past 2k miles.

Does anyone know what's the Nav update price after 2 years of free updates?

What's my car worth now (w/nav) to sell? Thanks.
  • outpost100outpost100 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I am trying to hammer out which way I swing for my next car. This is one of the 3 finalists, I was curious what people owned before the TL. (Just the last car, not every car you owned).

Thanks
  • ftm1ftm1 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2000 AL with Navigation system purchased 12/28/99. I owned a 94 Honda Accord EX 5sp sedan US/Japan model. I say US/Japan model because the Accord was redisigned that year. purchased it in Sep of 93 this was the 1st shipment of new Accords to dealer. The car had many Japan parts in it. Some of the 1st models had were sent from Japan this was one became of its serial number.
    I also had this verified do to a freak accident that bared the radiator & put a hole in it at top.
    I had to put in a new one & dealer said the radiator was Japan model & it would cost $100. more than US model.
    They had the 02 TL Type S sedan on Motor Week TV on PBS. The car was much better looking driving around than the pictures that I have seen.
    The car they say is do out in late March & the price they said would be about $2500 more than TL.
  • thermtherm Member Posts: 8
    When driving in slippery snow I sometimes find my 2000 TL front end pulling a little to the right when the traction control kicks in. I find myself having to steer a little to the left to keep the car straight. Has anyone else noticed something like this? Is this normal? The car seems fine otherwise.
  • texashombretexashombre Member Posts: 13
    I read that there will over 500 changes on the 2002 TL-S.

http://www.acura-tl.com/2002_TL-S.htm

Article lists whole bunch of stuff, but as I'm unfamiliar with TL, I thought some of the things they mentioned are already a standard feature for the 2001 model. I figure some of the 500 change affect the non Type S without the Nav. system. I'm debating between 2002 and 2001 model. Does anyone know some major changes other than the CD Changer and the revised exterior? Thanks.

See post #505. The other major difference for the base TL is a driver's memory seat in the '02. I would guess that most of the "500 changes" to the '02 are not meaningful to the average driver (e.g. a stronger radiator hose). The upgrades on the TL-S, on the other hand, are very meaningful.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    If ya'll are looking for better handling, have you considered the Lincoln LS? RWD, 50-50 balance and a much peppier engine than the #'s indicate.
  • prov1632prov1632 Member Posts: 10
    Our last 2 cars before the 2001 TL were 1984 Nissan 300ZX and 1990 Acura Legend. Great cars and so far the TL is right up there in quality as well as fun factor.
  • timtaylortimtaylor Member Posts: 3
    iphamx: I too get random buzzing in my '00 TL audio system caused by my motorola 2-way radio/cell phone (the service provider has a terrible network). I think it may random in the car because the car is moving and as you travel between cells, the phone may be receiving or sending a signal from/to the next cell as the service is being handed off between cells. I do know that my phone displays "No Service Available" when I am out of range of a cell and 'Pings' the network on regular intervals when it is out of range, so there is some communications between the phone and the cells when the phone is on but not in use. (I am not a wireless communications engineer so I don't know what signals are being passed and when they are being passed, etc.). Furthermore, I think it may be the phone's transceiving frequency because I get the same buzzing from my computer speakers at work a second or two before I receive a call or when I dial out on the cell phone. Therefore, your dealer's explanation of the cause being interference is feasible based on if the above is true. However, your dealer's treatment of you was deplorable and I too recommend you contact Honda customer relations (If you live in the midatlantic region, I think the midatlantic regional office phone # is 301.990.2020).

Tim
  • jamiestockmanjamiestockman Member Posts: 35
    2002 Introductions...

The Standard model 2002 Acura 3.2 TL will go into production the first week of March. The earliest Production dates I've seen are 3/4/01 - 3/8/01. The Type-S model will beat the standard ones by only about 10 days. Delivery times should continue to be approximately 12-15 days, depending on where in the Country you live.

Jamie S.
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    Any word on the price for the TL and the TL-S?
  • I_DamianI_Damian Member Posts: 6
    I was pleasantly surprised to find out that Acura uses a Blend of Synthetic and regular oil.
    Perhaps that covers the cost differential.
    I checked the C and D online and found nothing about the TL. What I DID
    find was disconcerting They had 6 sport sedans going head to head and TOTALLY LEFT OUT THE 2002 TL (or even the 2001 tl)!!!!
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR>>>>>>>>>>>
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    In defense of Car and Driver, the 2002 was unavailable to test and why test the 2001 which is being replaced? Would have been nice to do the report later, but I'm not the magazine editor.
    Thank you to all who have provided your input. At times, I feel like an idiot throwing myself against a bloody brick wall. The dealership & manufacturer so far deny any problems and others who know a problem exists are reluctant to say so for fear of liability.
    Update: I wanted to let you know that I took my car to Audio King for an independent assessment. The audio specialist spent about 30 minutes with a cellular phone in my car. I was in the car with him and was able to record as he was testing. At very low volume, we heard loud buzzing reverberate throughout the entire car, especially when the phone was close to the coint tray and the power outlet - same thing for CD, radio AM or FM. He mentioned something about capacitators and pulsating, because the sounds seem to strengthen and then retreat in that pattern. He said what I am experiencing in the car is NOT normal, something's wrong. He said that problem may be very difficult to fix because it may be due to faulty design and replacing it with another stereo may not fix the problem. Problem could be the BOSE system and the way to really fix the problem may be to replace the car's sound system entirely (with a non-Bose). The specialist was not able to put this in writing as the person in charge did not want to commit anything other than they heard "strange sounds" which could be due to "bad shielding." I have been riding with a tape recorder in my car and have been able to pick up a few of the problems. I took my car to another Acura dealership and they said everything was fine.

Something to chew on: If these problems are typical, then many, many more people would experience them in many different cars. How many millions of drivers and millions of cell phones are on the road these days? How can some manufacturers design their cars in such a way as to protect the car's system from interference? Is it a normal, common occurrence in Acuras? Say that it's a normal, common occurrence in Acuras - does this make it "normal or typical" or does it say something's up with Acura? Or, something's up with my Acura?

A colleague commented that his Chevy never has the problems I describe of and can not believe that the dealership and manufacturer tried to convince me that there were no problems with the car. He and another male colleague were in the car with me when they also experienced the problems - loud sporadic crackling, buzzing.

We're not talking static or a computer. We’re talking about a moving vehicle going at 40-50 miles an hour, among many other cars going just as fast if not faster during rush hour. I almost hit another car because of the incident I described earlier. How safe or assured can I feel about what other unexpected things might happen next in my car, while the dealership and manufacturer continue to deny a problem exists?

I want justice. I want disclosure.

Thanks again for your kind words and please share your experience & advice, especially if you've had similar problems with the dealership below.

As you can probably guess, I would not recommend
    Dealership:
    Bloomington Acura Subaru
    7801 Lyndale Avenue South
    Bloomington, MN
    Phone: 952-881-6200.

Acura Manufacturer:
    Customer Service HQ
    Acura Automobile Division
    Phone: 800.328.2238
  • robflahrobflah Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I have a '96 3.2 TL Premium....Very well (dealer) maintained and in great shape...I frequently have business people in the vehicle and get it detailed 3 times a year...I commute about a total of 35,000 miles a year (95% highway) and the car now has 113,000 miles (again - 95% highway)...Had all the emissions work done (mostly warranteed), timing belt replaced etc...

The TMV Trade-In is around $14,500 - and that figure includes the hit for the high mileage...NADA says Trade-In is about $12,500. Kelly Blue Book puts it at around $10k....

I took it to a dealership (that I'm buying a new Honda Odyssey from!) and they said the best they could do was $8000!

Seriously - the car is in great shape w/ no dings, no accidents and a couple of "touched up" scratches...Interior is like new.

What's it worth and what's the best way to unload it for a good yet fair price?

TIA
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    2 things going against you is:

a) It is the older generation TL, which never caught on with the public and had quite a sorry reputation, unlike the dynamic newer generation.

b) The comparatively high mileage of the car.

Your best bet would, I guess, be to sell your car privately. The dealer would never pay you anywhere close to what the car is really worth. They would only pay you a rate for which they can un-load the car at an auction (rock bottom rate).

Hope it helps.

Later...AH
  • theicemantheiceman Member Posts: 736
    I agree with hunter001 - dealers are not interested in paying top $ for a trade with more than 75000 mi. on it because they'll sit in their lot for months (one local dealer had a '99 Aurora - a $40,000 car when new - with 70000 mi. and it sat for 5 months asking only $13500). Yours is well beyond even that kind of mileage.

Most cities have a number of independents who sell hand-picked, extra clean, but often higher mileage imports. Some of these will offer you more - because they have buyers for higher mileage cars. Still, you'll never get more than wholesale but the fact that yours is in top condition should help you get more than most.

If you want the most though, sell it yourself - if a dealer is offering you $8k, you could set the price at $10k and you'd probably sell it the same day (do everybody a favour and disclose the mileage in your ad). Best way to price for selling is to watch what other '96 TL's are advertising for in your market and adjust your price for mileage. The "book values" often lead you to price incorrectly - you'll either price too high and have it on the market for weeks or too low and you'll regret having cheated yourself.

My 2 cents
  • CrevelsCrevels Member Posts: 37
    My 2000 TL was recently shifting roughly. Having come from a manual transmission for my whole life (still longing for that third pedal), I checked the transmission fluid and found that it was 1 pint low. The service manual shows that the transmission fluid should be changed at 90,000 miles. Is this normal? I know that oil consumption is normal, but how about transmission fluid? If not, is there anything that I should be checking for...damage, leak, etc.
    I just found a Technical Service Bulletin for my Infiniti I30 (with BOSE stereo) that explains the steps of a simple test for interference (popping noise). TSBs usually have some sort of remedy, such as replacement of a part with an upgraded one, to address and remedy customer complaints. However, the only remedy for this situation from Infiniti was that the service people advice the customer to keep the phone at least one foot away from the unit. I dont see what more they can do...replacing the stereo would not remedy the situation.
    I called my dealer again, Radley Acura in Bailey's X-Road Va. and they put a different spin on the info I got the first time. They use 5 W 50 Mobil oil and NOT a blend that they told me the first time! SO the oil cost would not make up the difference you spoke about. Incidentally, to answer another post, I owned a Mazda 929 (1988) before buying the Aura 2000 TL.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Does anyone know of a link to a full description of the operation (and limitations) of the Acura TL Sequential SportShift? I currently own a car with something like this, and I am curious if the Acura has the same (umm) odd behavior under certain circumstances.
    TIA!
    - Ray
    Who still finds such a device superior to a manual trans in many circumstances.....
    2022 X3 M40i
  • phalpin1phalpin1 Member Posts: 1
    I'll be shopping for a CL Type S or possibly a TL now that a Type S wil be available soon.Can anyone suggest a dealer in this area & how much they'll come off MSRP?Thanks for your help...
    I have a 2000 3.2 TL & have not had any problems with the 5speed Sport-Shift Transmission.
    Here is a link to the Acura TL scroll down & it says something about the Sport-Shift www.hondabeat.com/acura/tltech.cfm The transmission in the 99 are slighty different from 00-01 models. 99 has 4 speed & 00-01 have 5 speed that enhances acceleration & engine efficiency.
    The 00-01 models will shift-up from 1st to 2nd by themselfs the 99 will not. I think Acura did this to keep people from over reving the car in 1st gear.
    I live in Washington DC. I purchased a 2000 TL last year from Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg MD.
    I don't know how much off the MSRP they will give you. I really don't think you will get any or much because the TL is a hot selling car.
    You may be able to get a good deal on a 2001 3.2TL sedan & not the 2002 TL Type S. You also may for sure get a great deal on a CL not the CL Type S. The reason for this is I have seen on my dealers lot plenty of them.CL does not sell as well as TL or CL Type S. I see it this way from any dealer little or no wiggle room on The 2002 Type S TL & CL Type S. I see some on the 2001 TL when the Type S comes out. I see more on the CL because I see plenty on lots. Shop around to find a good buy.