Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• novotny_jacknovotny_jack Member Posts: 12
    Phalpin1
    Previous posts have reported 2001 prices of approx $26,600 (car and destination) for 2001 TL at Pohanka in VA and Tischer in Laurel, MD. In fact today in Wash Post Pohanka is advertising new 2001TL for $25,950 +$480 destination +$189 fee = $26,579 (if my math is correct). Yesterday (18 Feb) I was at Criswell Acura in Annapolis, MD. They had 34 TLs on their back lot( I counted) and what appeared to be an equal number of CLs. I would think they would be amenable to some dealing. Good luck and keep us informed of any deals you strike.
    regards
    Jack
  • raleigh72raleigh72 Member Posts: 3
    I took delivery 10 days ago of an '01 TL without nav in Houston, Texas at a price of $27,300 with no add on fees. Maybe not the best deal, but the car is great. Only thing I don't like so far is the glare from the dash when the sun is overhead. Am I the only one this bothers, or is there some easy fix?
  • raznarazna Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a new car and was considering the 3.2TL without Nav. Can any one tell me about a good dealer in or around Harrisburg,PA area and what would be the best price(before taxes but including Destination). I also read about the new TL-Type S coming out next month would it be worth to wait, I mean would we see a price cut on the 2001 3.2TL.
    Is the TL Type-S a 2002 model or 2001? When could one expect the 2002 3.2TL model? Would it be priced the same as 2001 model? Anyone using the Nav system in and around Harrisburg? Is it useful and worth the extra 2K? Any information would be highly appreciated.
  • boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    Hello,

I went to my local dealer in Santa Monica and they said they wouldn't have any until June. My car has been totalled and I don't want to wait that long. Some people have posted they will be getting theirs in March. Does anyone know of a dealership that is getting them early?

Thanks
    boe_d@hotmail.com
  • markz2kmarkz2k Member Posts: 112
    My sister bought a CL-S there last December; I was later talking to a sales manager, and he said they expect them in March 15, though I suppose the first shipment could already be sold. Call them, and ask for Kenn.
  • robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    I live in Lancaster County and can give you some info. Probably the best deal you can get will be at Apple Acura on Route 30 in York. They are consistently lower than Jones Acura in Lancaster. As you know there is NO Acura dealership in the Harrisburg/West Shore area; however, in a year or two Bobby Rahal will be adding an Acura dealership to complement his Lexus/Camry and Honda dealerships. Thus you will have a local place to service it.

The map of the Harrisburg area is ok. While I have seen some minor errors, it does contain a nice job of the major routes: 83, 11, 15, 283, 322, 81 etc.

The 2002 TL will have a minor price increase, but you should still get one for around 27,500 to 28,000. You will need to add tax to this figure. Still, I would walk out of a dealership if a final price is not UNDER 30K.

The new TL/S will be out in March. If you are considering one may I suggest you go to Apple Acura and test drive the coupe version. The new 2002 TL/S will be like that except you get 2 more doors, a 6 in dash cd, memory seats, and some other minor changes as well. Actually Acura indicates there are around 500 overall changes from 2001 to 2002. If you want one you need to get a deposit ASAP.

Best wishes!
  • dj5dj5 Member Posts: 42
    My 2000 TL has 12,600 miles and the Maint. Req. Light flashed about a dozen time when I first start the car and then goes off. Anyone else had this problem? If so, what caused it?
  • stephencstephenc Member Posts: 5
    dj5,

This flashing is not a "problem". It is simply a timer that goes off every 7500 miles to remind you to perform periodic service on your car. You can reset it by pushing a combination of the trip odometer buttons (It is documented in the manual). Then in another 7500 miles, it will start to flash again.
  • dj5dj5 Member Posts: 42
    Thanks stephenc....

I have been doing my own oil changes (every 4000 miles) with Mobil 1 synthetic and Honda OEM filters. After reading your posting, I remembered reading something about resetting the maint. req. light in the owners manual.

To reset the light, with the ignition off I had to press and hold the Select and Reset buttons and then turn the ignition on and continue to hold the buttons down for approx. 10 seconds.

Thanks for the input. Saved me a trip to the dealership. Zero problems with my TL in the first 12,600 miles.
    Thanks for the info Rob. I also read about the 2002 3.2TL (not Type S) having the six CD changer and the 2002(not Type S) model being out in March. I would be considering the 3.2TL instead of the Type-S as it has all the features I need in a car. No doubt Type-S may definelty be a better car with more HP, memory seats,etc. but I guess I would put in the extra 2K on the Nav system (a bit tight on the budget as I was first considering the Accord EX ).
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    The 2002 3.2TL (not Type-S) will also have memory seats and mirrors, in addition to the 6-disc in-dash CD-changer, fog lights, and tilting passenger mirror (when the reverse gear is engaged for ease of parallel parking).

The Type-s, in addition to the more powerful engine, would also have stiffer springs, firmer dampers, thicker/stiffer rear stabilizer bar, larger wheels (17" vs the 16" wheels of the TL), VSA (vehicle stability assist) etc., in addition to some other "not so obvious" differences like differences in anti-lock brakes and traction control system.

But the NAV, I would emphatically suggest that you go for it.

Later...AH
    Thanks for the info AH. Do you know when the 2002 3.2TL (not Type-S) will be available? I guess there would definatley be a price difference between the 2001 and 2002. Do you see any chances of getting a price less than the MSRP for the 2002? Do you think once the 2002 is introduced one may get a good price(below MSRP) on the 2001? Sorry for so many questions..... Thanks
    All indicators point to a mid-march/early-april release of both the 2002 TL versions (Type-s and non-type-s).

I think it would be MSRP (or very close to it) for a while, but the supply-demand equation should catch up within a few months of release, I would presume. But you should be able to get a lot of "relatively" good deals on the 2001s (which, essentially is the same car as the 2002s, minus a few doodads). If price is an important consideration, then I would suggest to grab a 2001, right around the time the 2002 release happens.

Later...AH
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    According to Houston area dealers both the TL and the TL-S have March 15 arrival dates. I spoke with a dealer yesterday (Tues 20th).
  • PeterUbersPeterUbers Member Posts: 48
    I just put $1K down on a type S. I ordered a Pearl/Parchment. Dealer says I'm about three down on the list, but unfortunately, Acura is shipping the common but popular, nighthawk black and silver models first to fill the lot (approx. 20 per dealership in mid-March). Therefore, those of you interested in a more unique color (not to say better) you'll have to wait until early April. My dealer said $31,500 is a pretty good estimate in this economy for the non-navigation TL-S. Oh yeah, and there is this guy on Edmund's Townhall, Turbotc, who keeps knockin' the TL, and claims his '99 ES300 a superior vehicle. I just can't figure it out. I open this forum up to anyone and everyone willing to defend why the TL is a superior value/vehicle to the ES300.

Pete
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    in this discussion, I have invited PeterUbers to create a new discussion titled "Acura 3.2TL vs. Lexus ES300" - let's save the conversation for the new area.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Board
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    There is an existing 2002 Acura TL-S topic already up and going. I for one would appreciate posts specific to the TL-S to post there. As I and others have already pointed out there does not seem to be much buzz or anticipation for this vehicle. My local dealership has 23 coming March 15th with 4 spoken for.
  • dodowolfdodowolf Member Posts: 4
    one dealer has a car in stock, and it is maybe already sit in the lobby for several mouths. I may be able to get a good price on it. Is there anything wrong for me to buy it? What is the big difference between this car and a new producted car? Does it really matters?

By the way if I put deposite I should use credit card or check, or doesn't matter.

Some quick response is highly appreciated. I need to make the decision very quickly.

Thanks a lot.

dodowolf
  • blueseatblueseat Member Posts: 8
    I just did a search for "2002 Acura TL-S" as post #568 said and the new edmunds search engine told me ZERO topics. What's up with that edmunds?
    Here's a link: 2002 Acura TL-S.

Apparently, the search engine here on our new site does not index numbers. If you had searched for "Acura TL-S" it should have found it. (I didn't try it, YMMV!)

To tell you the truth, I have found it a little easier - if I KNOW that what I'm looking for exists, anyway - to use the browser Search feature on the discussion list page.

That said, the Search engine is undergoing some kind of renovation, I am told. Improvements are in the foreseeable future, I do believe!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Actually, in an earlier topic "Acura TL vs Lexus IS300" , we had discussed this issue to death....in fact, in spite of the name of the topic, the IS300 rarely was compared with the TL.....it was always the TL vs the ES300...read through those posts....

Some key elements that were discussed there, were the superior transmission of the TL (kickass class-exclusive 5-speed automatic vs the 4-speed auto of the ES300 lifted from the pedestrian Camry), engine (larger engine vs the ES300 borrowing its engine from its pedestrian counterpart and including variable valve timing to it), using the cheaper and inferior Macpherson strut suspension (on all 4 ends), in the ES300 vs the much more expensive and superior double-wishbones on all four ends by the Acura (incidentally the expensive double wishbones like the Acura TL are found in other more expensive Lexus models like GS300/430/SC430/LS430)....and a plethora of other reasons......go through those posts and you will know what I am talking about....

Basically, the ES300 (in spite of certain virtues), is at the end of its life cycle and it is un-fair to compare it to dynamic and mercurial competitors like the Acura 3.2TL, which has been drawing circles around the poor old ES, ever since its 1999 introduction...the ES300 is probably just ekeing out this lifecycle till the new one arrives on the scene....right now, the under-acheiving, but yet expensive ES300 is out-matched, out-classed and out-maneuvered by the kick-butt Acura...

Later...AH
  • turbotcturbotc Member Posts: 163
    ahhh....don't forget about the half leather/half vinyl seats found in the TL, fake wood on interior, state of the art dealer treatment (definitely not)....and on and on and on....when was the last time the TL dating back to 96 that was rated anywhere near the ES300 by JD Powers. Apparently the TL got its butt kick so the Honda engineers had to do something and then came out the 99 TL with all the bells and whistles at a lower price. Don't get me wrong the TL is a nice car. But it is no more than a souped up V6 Accord just like the ES300 to the Camry.
  • phatboy1phatboy1 Member Posts: 10
    "When was the last time the TL...was rated anywhere near the ES300 by JD Powers?" Well, it was last May. Check out the following link

http://www.auto.com/autonews/cwirh17_20000517.htm

The May survey rates Acura as the top brand for initial quality, and the ES and TL are in a tie for 3rd as models.

I agree that the TL falls short in the fake wood and dealer treatment department, but with most other criteria the TL is superior. Now compare the current ES to the new TL-S...no contest by a long shot! Later this year it will be fun to compare the new '02 ES with the TL-S.

• schollscholl Member Posts: 13
    I'm close to buying a TL but one of the last major questions I have is regarding interior noise level. I've had two accords in a row and they aren't the quietest cars on the planet - Is the TL's cabin noise level significantly lower than the accord and how have they achieved this? Would appreciate a response from a previous accord owner or driver - Headroom (or lack of) has been discussed ad nauseum but I sat in a Chrysler 300M and it was even worse - perhaps it is just the trend now with more rakish roof lines - hmmm
    I agree they both are fine cars. Toyota and Honda has been known for making quality cars that go on and on in terms of reliability. The current TL definitely offer more for the money. A comparable equipped ES would costs at least $5k more I think. They both has negatives and positives. What I like about the ES is that they offer Nakamichi (and soon to have Mark Levinson), fog lights, auto-leveling HID lights, etc. But it definitely will be interesting to see what the next ES will look like and how it is equipped as I'm sure ES sales must have dropped significantly since 99 when the new TL came out.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    If it were me I would use a credit card for the deposit, preferrably one that earns cash back or miles. A check would probably be ok but I have heard the occasional story of a dealer not giving a deposit back (it probably has occured at some time to someone but I would think it isn't very common), with a credit card you would have no problem if they tried that.

Regarding the car sitting in the showroom, that's a judgement call. I would try to find its manufacture date and see how long it has been there and also was it used as a demo (how many miles does it have). It also never hurts to try to get the price lowered a bit. Depends how much you want the car. Personally I prefer one fresh off the truck.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Is Toyota really coming out with both a new Camry and ES for '02? That is different from Honda which put out the Accord first and the TL a year later.
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    you said "ahhh....don't forget about the half leather/half vinyl seats found in the TL"....

hmmm, do you think that in the Lexus the entire seat is covered in leather?
    yes, I do. At least on my Coach Edition it has coach leather and nothing else. I know that for a fact. But I am almost positive the regular is all leather as well, just none coach leather. Look, I am not trying to bash the TL. I honestly think thats it the best bang for the buck. Well maybe the Mazda Millenia Millenium Edition offers more for less but then the Mazda dealers and the resale value makes you wonder why. I'll be in the ES forum if you like to find me. Have a great one.

carguy, I believe the new Camry and ES300 is due out for MY2002. At least thats what most people think so.
  • 14151415 Member Posts: 249
    Just received this very nice brochure on the 2001 Acura TL some 30 pages long and I would like to know more the car. Has anyone been able to pile 50,000 miles on one as yet????

What is the cost and how are the dealers after the sale?????

Is the Navigation system worth a couple grand or are updated roadmaps a better buy????

I own a 99 Intrigue and a 96 Deville w/Northstar so you know where I am coming from..

I have just glanced over some of the postings and the ES300-Lexus offering is truly an overpriced Camary; however the buyers of the car are not performance or handling addicts like you Acura folks so comparision is a non-event and foolish. The ES buyers passed up the ugly top-of-the-line offering from Toyota called the "Avalon" If Detroit make such a car it would be laughed at; but the Asians are praised--figure that out..

I don't like Asian offerings so maybe you loyal fans can give me the upside of ownership.
    I received the official press kit for the Acura TL Type S, here are some stats:

Over 500 changes including the following:

17-inch rims (analagous to the CL Type S design)
    260 hp @ 6000 rpm, 232 ft-lbs b/w 3,500-5,500
    Larger-diameter throttle body
    Dual Stage Induction
    19/29 city/hwy
    Larger rear stabilizer bar & shock tower than TL (std)
    V-rated, all season tires
    Acceration times projected at 6.3-6.4 seconds (realtime should be more similar to the CL-S's 6.6)
    100 lbs lighter than the CL-Type S
    the VSA skid control offered up until now only on the RL, still not on the TL
    Perforated leather seating
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    it makes me wonder which version of TL MotorTrend tested about a year ago (in a comparo with a few other near-lux sedans) and managed to squeeze 6.4 seconds. They called it a TL. I called it a test error. I think I was right.
  • schollscholl Member Posts: 13
    Gee - I guess the only way to have inquiries responded to is to play the TL vs ES 300 game. I'm looking for opinions on TL noise volume in cabin. I'm going to purchase one soon. The short test drives aren't always enough to gauge. Previous post (575) was asking for comparison vs Accord, a car I'm familiar with - but contrasted with the quiet ES will do.
    Scholl,

I drove the CL-S at the dealer a week ago in anticipation of the TL-S and I wanted to drive it hard in accelerations and passing maneuvers. The engine is definitely loud, but refined. I haven't, unfortunately driven the TL as hard, so my comparison to the ES300 is not as accurate. I can say that it was louder (slightly) than my former '94 ES300 (which still purred like a kitten 'til the day she met with the Carmax undertaker). Honestly, if volume in the cabin is a big concern, the ES300 should win that game. Once again, the best way is just to go test drive 'em.
    I can honestly remember no difference between outside noise in both vehicles. Wind/Road noise seemed pretty much the same. One thing that always makes me feel more confident in the rigidity of my vehicle is how that "thunk" sounds after I go over a pothole. I made sure I hit about 70 of 'em when I took the TL out, and to my chagrin, it handled and SOUNDED very well! I don't know about the dealers up where you are, but my guy told me to just beat the car up (demo model) to really appreciate what the car could do.

So I did .
  • phatboy1phatboy1 Member Posts: 10
    When I first test drove the TL I was surprised at the amount of road/wind noise at highway speeds--not really loud, just more than I expected. (I was expecting something like the ES.)

The '02 TL & TL-S will have redesigned outside mirrors that are supposed to reduce wind noise.
    turbotc:

I don't have the time to demonstrate with specific examples on why Lexus has ripped you poor souls out of a lot of cash for the boaty, buickish ES300....some of the things you may want to look at a bit more closely, is the frame-less windows on the ES300 (while the Acura uses full frame windows with triple weather sealing), also the use of the cheap Macpherson strut suspension on ALL FOUR ENDS of the ES300 (saves 100's of dollars for Toyota just by that ?!!!) while the Acura uses the much more expensive Double-wishbone suspension found on much more expensive Lexus cars like the GS300/GS430/SC430/LS430 (some Euro cars employ the Macpherson struts in the FRONT suspension to save some space - since space is at a premium in Europe - but definitely not a LITERAL ECONO CAR SETUP like on the Lexus ES300, where the Macpherson struts are found ON ALL FOUR ENDS), lifting of the engine (with slight modification) and transmission from the Toyota Camry V6 (again, 1000's of dollars in saved expenditure from developing a new transmission/engine ?), the glass on the rear windows of the ES300, that stick up a few inches above the windows even when all the way down (while the Acura's glass on all the 4 windows go all the way down), and then providing some doodads like a few more square feet of leather covering ?!!! and sticking small strips of "real wood" on the interiors ?!!! wow !!! You have got a fantastic deal buddy (read rip-off )!!!

The Acura saved maybe 250 dollars by using a bit of vinyl + instead of sticking small strips of "real wood", they stuck small strips of "simulated wood" !!! Wow !!! Actually, I blame only Acura for such criticisms, since after spending such a lot of money for developing this fantastic car, they tried to save a few nickels and dimes by using a few (square feet of leather + strips of wood) less than its competition.

Also, why has nobody commented that the Lexus ES300 is a compact car (EPA classification), while the 3.2TL is a mid-size car (EPA Classification) ?!!! In spite of that, why does, the lighter, smaller engined ES300 gets worse mileage than the larger engined and heavier Acura 3.2TL (19/26 for the ES vs 19/29 for the TL) ?!!!

Does the ES300 have a GPS Navigation system like the 3.2TL from Acura, EVEN AS AN OPTION ?!!! I would think that all the other Lexus cars have the Navigation system AT LEAST AS AN OPTION (except maybe the IS300?)!! I had to wait a while for my 3.2TL, for the exact color (Naples Gold Metallic) that I wanted WITH THE NAVIGATION....after having driven the car with the Navigation system, no way in hell will I make a future car purchase without a similar system....when talking of Navigation systems, the DVD based Acura system is THE BEST system available in the market now....NAV systems in Audis etc are pure junk...I drove a Hertz rental car about a year back and had a chance to use the "NeverLost" Navigation system of Hertz....talk of a POS !!! Which points out the differences between high-end NAV systems like on the Acura vs the low-end systems like the Hertz "neverlost"...the Acura system pinpoints one's location EVEN IN AN UNDERGROUND PARKING LOT/THICK FOG/PITCH DARKNESS, while the Navigation signals of the Hertz system are lost even when a tall clump of trees block the way !!!!

I switched my TL's stock tires with Michelin Pilot XGT-Z4 225/55-ZR16 Ultra-high performance all-seasons, which transformed the car (equipped with the double-wishbones at all 4 ends) into a literal sport-sedan.....do you know what would have happened, if you switched the buickish ES300's tires with the Ultra-high performance Michelin tires ? It would have OVERWHELMED the poor old ES300's boaty suspension...have you observed the floatiness that you experience when you take the ES300 to higher speeds ? Want to know why ?!!! Check the suspension again..... some more square feet of leather or a few strips of wood stuck on the interior, won't keep the ES300 planted on the road like the mercurial Acura....the fact of the matter is that the Acura is a MUCH SOUNDER AUTOMOBILE....

Enough of bashing the out-dated, under-whelming, over-priced, under-performing ES300...let us cease discussing such pure rip-offs (read money in the pocket of Lexus, who must be laughing all the way to the bank !!!) and discuss the kick-[non-permissible content removed] 3.2TL...

ruski:

The Motortrend time of the 2000 Acura 3.2TL was 6.7 Secs....not 6.4Secs.... The 6.4 Secs was for the CL-s.... people at the TL site, routinely obtain about 6.38 - 6.8 secs for the stock TL (2000 model year onwards - 99's are slower), when measured with Gtech pro....Also, the Motortrend time was not only a 0-60 time, it was also a 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-70, 0-80, 0-90 and also the quarter mile.....so it is not a 0-60 figure they conjured out of thin air....In fact, during the tests on that day, the 3.2TL thrashed competitors like the poor ES300, Infiniti I-30 and the Oldsmobile Aurora V6 IN EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THE ACCELERATION CATEGORIES including, 0-30, 0-40, 0-50, 0-60, 0-70, 0-80, 0-90 and the quarter mile.......in other words, at no time (right off the line till reaching much higher speeds), did the others stand a chance against the kick-[non-permissible content removed] Acura, in acceleration.....I would have expected better numbers from the lighter Infiniti I-30 (which supposedly has BETTER PEAK Horsepower/Torque NUMBERS)......but the funny thing is that, you will not FEEL THE SPEED building up in the Acura....until you observe the speedometer....the engine is smooth like a turbine and has got a perfectly mated 5-speed Adaptive Sportshift transmission....

Also, Road and Track obtained 7.2Secs for the 1999 Acura 3.2TL, which, with the 4-speed transmission (like the Lexus ES300) and a non-freeflowing intake manifold, was universally considered as being about 0.50 secs slower than the 2000 3.2TL (with the 5-speed transmission and a host of intake modifications including a free-flowing intake manifold that increased low-end torque and mid-range power, even though the peak power numbers for both 99 and 00 remained the same).....so if we subtract 0.50 secs (of the 99 TL) from 7.2 Secs, we again come to 6.7 Secs (extrapolating the 99 TL's time to the 2000 TL, since R&T have not tested the 2000 TL)....so does that mean that we have got 6.7 Secs 0-60 from 2 separate sources for the 2000 TL ?!!

Later...AH
  • lexus4melexus4me Member Posts: 3
    Stop it you guys. Can't we have a normal conversation without insulting others for a change? Turbotc, what does your Mercedes has to do with Lexus or Acura anyways? Why are you even mentioning it? And hunter001, I don't recall turbotc bashing your TL at all. It looks to me from reading the previous posts that you pointed out the goods of the TL and he pointed out the goods of the ES. So by you saying that we (Lexus owners) got ripped off that is insulting to the ES owners. Was it necessary to bash Lexus owners? I remember test driving the TL in 99 and I felt OK about it. I could careless about the extra power, xenon headlights, Navigation, etc. My husband wanted it badly but because the dealer wouldn't budge from MSRP and the waiting period was over 4 months, we opted for a 98 Certified ES300 with only 11k miles on it. I felt much more comfortable in the ES being I am only 5 foot tall. But that does not make the TL a bad car? Is one stupid for paying $8k for a Rolex when a Seiko could be had for $200? No, we all have different tastes and preferences. I actually felt insulted from your post of being ripped off. I don't feel that way at all, paying less for a certified pre-owned with a 7 year 100k warranty. Now, about the laughing part, we (Lexus owners) might be laughing at you heading to your bank to withdraw your money for a powertrain failure. Just joking. But my husband did told me Lexus has a longer powertrain warranty, even beyond the basic 4/50 bumper to bumper. So lets, not fight and try to talk rationally. We should feel lucky we have the privilidge of owning one of these 2 fines vehicles. Turbotc, Edmunds do have forums on Mercedes vehicles. You should go there and talk about your car. My husband wants a TL type S now. Good Grief. He we go again.
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    Turbotc- If you go to the Lexus website and and click options on the ES300, it states under the leather package, "leather seating surfaces" not leather seats. Only thepart that touches the body is leather.
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    Well, I stopped by to see what people thought of their TL's. I'm seriously considering a TL Type S later this year. I almost decided on the CL Type S, but then saw that the TL has an extra 1.5-2 inches of headroom (I'm 6'3" or so).

Reading the last 20 posts or so, I have a few comments ...

1. The TL/CL is indeed a dressed-up Accord. The ES300 is indeed a dressed-up Camry. Who cares? All four of them are great cars. The Lexus is marketed to a slightly different crowd ... slightly more luxurious, softer ride, less performance. I personally want the performance as did probably most of the TL/CL buyers.

2. In most cars today, leather seats really mean "leather seating surfaces," not full leather-trimmed seats. I work in the automotive seating business, and today's auto companies and their suppliers look for every penny they can save. By using leather on the seating surfaces only and using a decent imitation vinyl for the rest of the seat, a supplier/OEM can save hundreds of dollars per vehicle and still call them leather seats. (By the way ... even most leather seats are vinyl impregnated because they stand up much better over time than just plain leather!)

3. Anybody know the asking price for the TL Type S? Anybody know the release date?

Thanks,
    klkrause
  • dougsilverdougsilver Member Posts: 62
    Hey hunter001 aka "I don't have the time to demonstrate with specific examples"--glad you opted for the "short" version then.

I also opted for our TL over the ES300. The Lexus is a great car and the Lexus service and treatment is extraordinary (our best friends have had 1992 and 1999 ES300). However, I feel that feature-for-feature, the TL is as good or better than the ES and the price difference is several $thousand less for the TL.

In terms of cabin noise, the TL is the quietest car I have owned in terms of blocking outside noise. HOWEVER, that makes the various interior creaks and clicks all the more noticeable. Basically, this has been my only complaint with our TL--there are a few interior phantom noises (plastic-against-plastic like clicks and creaks from the interior rear pillar and creaking from the drivers seat) and I hate nothing more than interior creaks and noises. We bought our son a new Accord EX6 Coupe in July and he had the same types of occasional sounds (one was traced to the trim around the central console). You would think that by now, auto manufacturers could anticipate where noises will occur at interfaces between parts and use felt or teflon tape at those locations. As an aside, the 90 Maxima that we had before the TL did not have a single interior creak or rattle for the 10 years we owned it.
  • rickslickrickslick Member Posts: 27
    I own a 96 Honda Accord EX and a 96 Honda Accord LX. I have owned a 01 TL for about a month and I can honestly say that the TL is much quieter than both of them. The car I drove before was a 97 Nissan Maxima SE. I sold it to a family member. I thought it was quiet until I took a trip in it this week. I was happy to be back in the TL. At first I didn't find the seats to be as comfortable as I liked but over time they have gotten better.
    I need to purchase a vehicle right away - I was considering the MDX but am no longer interested. Does anyone have URL's with the specs on the TL Type S vs. The 2002 TL? Will the new TL come out the same time as the type S?
    If you're that interested in the Type S, go put $1000 down on the vehicle (fully refundable) and research after. In this way, should you decide on the 2002 Type S, you'll be sure to get yours in the first batch (not many on the wait list around the US from what I'm gathering here online). Read some of the previous posts for accurate info (from what i've read) about the TL Type S (i.e. performance/options/features/specs).
    Sounds like you (Boe_d) also need to consider is ya wanna be drivin a top-heavy SUV for the next few years or months (depending on if you're as wealthy as Turbotc's neighbors) or a sporty sedan. For myself, I'm all about taking some turns (once in a while and in a safe circumstance) at about 25-30 and really feeling those V-rated tires grip in the summer. I don't know if that's recommended in the MDX car manual (don't start lookin', it's definitely NOT).
    I have decided on the TL I just haven't decided on the TL or Type S TL. It is hard to do when there is so little information on Acura or Edmunds web page. I would like to know what are the differences between the two 2002 models. I'd also like to know if the 2002 TL will be arriving the same time as the 2002 Type S.
    Some of our Town Hall members need to review the Terms of Use to which they agreed when they joined Town Hall. Note that Edmunds.com reserves the right to revoke a member's account for any reason, and repeated violations of the TOU certainly qualifies as "any reason".

Town Hall management will be reviewing what has happened here this afternoon.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    I went to Cerritos and Keys today - both were happy to take my money - but neither were offering deals on the 2002. I know there will be demand but there are always dealers offering to give back a little of what they get. Does anyone know of a good dealer in SoCal that will be getting the 2002's soon?
    I didn't even consider that I know virtually nothing about the 2002 TL (not Type S). In all the hub-ub about the Type S, I didn't even consider any of the mods and changes that would have been implemented on the new 2002 TL. However, reading from this press packet, they really only say that 500 changes have been implemented into the Type S, and not the 2002 TL. In fact, most of these 500 changes were not bug-fixes, as it may be interpreted, rather, they were mods to improve sport performance (hence the new hp stats). I'm not sure about arrival of the new 2002 TL, but I can tell you one thing: unless they pack some great NEW features the 2001 didn't have, the lots full of 2001 TL's won't have any room for some cosmetically altered 2001 TL's (now called the 2002 TL's).
    Per this press packet:

"Revisions to the TL's exterior enhance its sporty appearance for 2002. The front end is redesigned with a more aggressive front grille, reshaped headlights, and revised badging. Fog lights are now STANDARD and the TL's taillights have clear upper lenses for a new look (i.e. euro design of the Toyota ES300). Three new exterior colors are available for 2002: Anthracite Metallic, Aegean Blue Pearl, and Eternal Blue Pearl." The 2002 will come with 16" rims vs. the 17" on the Type S. The suspension remains the same for the TL in 2002, whereas the Type S has the performance mods to make it stiffer, with a thicker anti-roll bar in the back. 2002 TL (std and Type S) will have the 6-disc in dash CD changer mated w/ the Bose five-speaker system. The Type-S will have the perforated leather, the TL will have identical seating to 2001, and the Type S will have the perforated leather steering wheel. I'll email you the stat sheet if ya'd like.