Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar

Comments

• brunnabrunna Member Posts: 53
    We really want another Odyssey, but refuse to pay the premium price. Ford is now offering "cash plus" so there are really good deals to be had. Can anyone give me some good reasons to actually purchase the Ford over the Honda? Somebody must have a good long term experience?
  • ssartorissartori Member Posts: 15
    To make a long story short, I just bought a 96 Windstar with 47,000 miles on it... The Windstar replaces a 94 Transport with 68,000 care free miles we bought new but was rear ended by a garbage truck after the truck lost it's breaks coming down a steep hill... (Was the garbage truck a Ford also?). The only problems with the Transport were the constant warped rotors… They would last for about a year then warp out.. The pads would last forever, and the valve seals were going.. I just dropped $700 3 weeks before the accident on an ABS sensor $500 and $200 for a new Power steering line that rusted out thanks to salt and Upstate NY... The ink on the Visa bill was still wet when the Transport was totaled.. Thank God My wife and Mother weren't hurt.. That space age frame under the plastic really worked...

Well in a pinch with only $6300 from the insurance, try to find a reliable vehicle on a lot for that price.. We try to dive them for 10 years and then buy new.. Yes I have a 99 Sable that has two more years left on the loan.. The Sable has been reliable so far.. but it's still under warranty.. We found a clean 96 Windstar with 47,000 mile for $7,200.. The ride is much nicer than the 94 T-sport and everything seems to be working on it... I did need something with at least a 3.5-3.8L engine to pull out 1200lbs pop-up trailer.. I figured we went up 2 model years and dropped 21K in miles, and all I need it to do is last the next two years till the Sable is paid off..

After reading the nightmares here with head gaskets, and trannies I cannot believe the quality of the Windstar can be this bad.. It sounds like Ford couldn't care less.. I really do love the ride of the Ford over the Transport... My last Ford was an 86 T-bird that we loved but with two little kids it was time for a van... My wife loved the idea of the power sliding door.. GM came out with them in 94... GM could of used my wife, our 3 year old and baby for the commercial.. Arms loaded and the pod in hand trying to open the door.. BTW The Transport Plastic body still looked great.. No Rust... Just don't look under the van..

Well anyways I'll keep you posted on the Windstar... I'm hoping that (unfortunately) this may only represent .01% of the bad Windstar out there and this group is extremely vocal..
    Man I hope that’s soooooooo….
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    When is the Windstar scheduled for a redesign? Anyone know?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    According to our FUTURE CARS link, Ford's Windstar will get "minor revisions" for the 2003 model year.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I hope they add a factory installed DVD rather than VHS (but of course that is probably low on the totem pole). Thanks for the input.
  • reds22reds22 Member Posts: 1
    It started around 40,000 miles. Engine light comes on. Finally after 5 visits to Ford service they replace the neck to the gas tank, input and output sensors, gas tank, and the check engine light was finally resolved. Also added another 15k trying to fix that problem. Then Ford replaced another faulty gas tank. Left front door speaker went out. Right door track broke on at window at 66k. Replaced transmission at 83k. Blown head gasket at 84k. This car has also been maintained with Ford at 33k, 60k, have had the oil changed regularly. Talked to Ford's customer service and they just told me how sorry they are that I have had this problems and just said how people have had nothing but good things to say about the Windstar, also said how safe they are. After having great luck with 72 Torino, 78 F250 Pickup, 88 Taurus wagon all maintained the same way this Windstar has been nothing but trouble and I will not recommend a Ford Mini van.
  • momx2momx2 Member Posts: 14
    My husband and I purchased a 2002 Windstar over the weekend. The lease on our 1998 F150 had expired and we did not purchase it because we had a new addition to the family (the truck would only seat 3). In the 4 years that we had the truck we did not have one single problem. With that in mind, we felt confident in our purchase. Ford is currently offering a $3,000.00 rebate and we also qualified for a additional $1,500.00 as a returning customer. After reading a few of the postings here I hope we did not make a mistake. I plan on purchasing a aftermarket extended warranty. I will post any problems or concerns that I may encounter.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    Do not go aftermarket on the extended warranty!!!!! They have lots of holes in them and there are many places that do not take them. Go with the Ford plan. Most likely a little more expensive but any Ford dealer will honor it and the only up front cost is the deductible. Since you are a loyal ford owner you probably could get a discount on it.
    I purchased a extended warranty from dealer years ago. The dealer charged a premium price for it too and it would have been easier to pull my own teeth than to get the dealer to fix something that went wrong. I could only have the repairs made at the dealer in order for the item to be covered. It was a 1996 Dodge stratus and had plenty of major problems. I purchased the warranty (warrantybynet.com) recommend by edmunds for the van. You can find the link at the home page. It covers a many items, major and minor. The price was not bad, roughly half the amount I was quoted at the dealer. I will receive the paper work in the mail in a few days. I believe I can cancel with only a $25.00 penalty. Not sure until I receive the paper work. Does anyone else have the warranty?
    If so, could you please comment....
  • rmscsrmscs Member Posts: 6
    I have a 96 with 95k miles. It has actually been relatively trouble free except for a leaking power steering rack replaced under warranty and the check engine light that has been on for the last 20k miles. My wife likes the van and wants to keep it. We usually drive cars 150k. I am experiencing the noisy ball joints. Could anyone suggest a quality aftermarket part supplier. Any other high mileage Windstars out there?
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    I am interested in buying Daylight running lights relay for my van. Does anyone know where the factory receptical is located and the part number.

Any info would help
    I presently have a 99SE but prior to that I had a 95GL and it was totaled by a red light runner at 135K and never had a ball joint problem.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    this is a very negotiable item, you should be able to get at least a 1/3 to almost a half off the "list" price easily with some hard bargaining (have done that for a windstar, venture and two subarus).I usually negotiate a price for the car, then I tell them I'm walking out unless they give me a big discount on the warranty, works every time! if you don't get a big discount go shop around, the dealer who sold you the car does not have to be the dealer who sells you the warranty. some car makes even have dealers selling cut price manufacturers warranties on the internet. its easy money for them, just some paperwork!
    generally speaking manufacturers extended warranties are less hassle in terms of getting approvals and also knowing the company is still around when you need it, a big problem with many after market ones in previous years- they are out of business when you need them. you are however stuck going to a dealer with a manufacturers warranty though. most dealers nowadays have their service computer systems set up so that if you have an extended warranty and work covered is necessary, it automatically tells the service manager its covered, gets approval electronically from the manufacturer etc etc expediting things quite a bit. also, at least with the subarus (the windstar and venture are still new enough- 2000 models - not to have had to invoke the extended one yet) I have had the dealers cover non covered items as good will gestures. have had one experience with non manufacturer warranty before - for an audi, big hassle getting approvals always necessitating another trip back to get the work done (and if you think a windstar is trouble - I had a 95 too - ok I'm a slow learner!, audis in the 80s were garage queens!).
  • shorneshorne Member Posts: 1
    MOMx2 refers to a return customer rebate of 1,500.00. Anyone have any info on this rebate?
    I wonder if the return customer one is in addition to the ones shown (in my zipcode) for the Windstar on our Incentives and Rebates page?

Steve
    Host
  • kelleyokelleyo Member Posts: 182
    worst quality I have ever seen in a vehicle. It has only 20,000 miles on it. We have had it in numurous times with Service Engine light. The last time they had to replace the gas tank to fix the problem.

The Low Tire pressure warning light stays on constantly. I keep the tires set at 32 to 35 lbs and reset the light and within an hour it comes back on. Dealer has never been able to fix.

We have a gasket leak around the drivers side sliding door that has never been fixed.

We have had many (4 ?) recalls.

It is now leaking oil like a sieve. They replaced the oil pan gasket but it has started leaking again.

I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy.
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    Regarding the passenger captains chair seats, is there any year of Windstar where these can slide together to almost form a bench seat? If Windstar does not offer it, can anyone tell me which makes/models do? Thanks. (reason is, sometimes I want the kids together, sometimes apart).
    Monty
    I have been researching vans (don't own one yet), but to my knowledge, the Honda Odyssey has what you want (at least the 1999+ models). The middle row can be two separate captain chairs or can fit together to make a bench. I have never seen anyone mention this as a feature of any Windstar model year that I know of. Hope this helps.
    The MPV has what they call "slide by side" middle buckets. True, it is smaller than the Odyssey but then again it also has the fold away rear seat.
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    I think I saw it on the Kia Sedona, but have to go look again. One thing about their middle captains seats, even seperated, there is very little space to squeeze between them into the back. I also do like the fully reclining rear seat in the dodge caravans, fold back like into a bed. Not on Windstar, correct? Here is another seat possibility for you. If the vans have an option for bench or captains chairs in the middle, and I buy it with one type, could I buy the other type seat froma junk yard and have both so I can exchange in as I like?
    Monty
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    So far I have 20000 miles. No sign of problems yet. I am now using synthetic oil in engine and intend to change trans fluid and antifreeze at 2yr/20000 intervals. I have a 6/60 extended FORD warranty and intend to trade it prior to warranty expiring.
  • rrmanrrman Member Posts: 21
    My wife's Windstar will be 4 years old next month. I bought a new Chrysler Concorde for myself recently and after Zainoing it I decided to do the same for her Van. Looks better than new! Dissolved one clay bar in the process.
    The Park to Drive transmission clunk has "always" been with us. A new battery (preventative), radiator flush and fill and the usual oil changes about every 5000 miles has been the only maintenance - except for the "reprogramming" TSB for the stalling problem.
    But after perusing this board, I'm keeping it in my prayers!
  • Glad your 98 is doing well. I have a 98 with 78000 and no problems to date. I do recommend xmission fluid changes every 25k. When I had mine done, mechanic said there was a fair amount of metal shavings. If I had not been changing fluid, I may have had the common xmission problem alot of other owners have had. Good Luck.
  • khallorankhalloran Member Posts: 1
    After reading of all the problems of past models and current models, is there anyone out there who is pleased with their 2002 Windstar?? I have been given a price of $21,150 before taxes, registration etc. Is this a fair price? I requested the standard edition with quad seats and no family entertainment system. If I decide to purchase it, should I get the extended warranty and how much should I expect to pay for it? Thanks in advance. K.
  • minivanman1minivanman1 Member Posts: 8
    Will the Windstar have anything new for 2003?
    I purchased a new 2002 LX in May. I paid $22,411 with tax, title and tags. I purchased a extended warranty (offered at edmunds). Scroll to message number 564 for more information. My LX has quad seating and the center console for options. It did not have entertainment center, so the dealer discounted the van an additional $995.00. I have not had any problems so far. I like it very much. Hopefully I will have the same opinion in the months and (years?) ahead. After reading the problem list on this board, I purchased a extended warranty for 8 years/100,000 miles.

I test drove a KIA Sedona, it looked nice and was relatively inexpensive. The test drive was horrible, first it had to be jumped started, there was a horrible popping sound when the brake was pressed, the steering wheel shook ( quite obvious even at low speed) and the back seat was broken, it would not lock in properly. It is the first model year out for KIA. Ford was offering the huge $3,000 rebate and I qualified for the costumer loyalty program ($1,500 off) and after they discounted for the lack of entertainment system how could I say no? I bought my van the same day I drove the KIA.
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    Try fordwarrantycentral.com They had best prices. I felt the extended care warranty was the best value. I have a 2000 LX w/20,000 miles. Only problem to date was factory tires sidewall cracking. My tire store helped me. Now I have Michelin Symmetry tires. I suggest trans flush 20,000 mile intervals. It may prolong/save transmission.
  • tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    My 2000 Windstar SE has captain's chair in the middle row. You can interchange with the small bench. And if you didn't already know, the third row can be moved into the second row. Or you can get another 3rd row bench and seat 8 people?! Wow, I never thought of that.
    Anyone have any word on the new Windstar. I guess it will be updated in 04. I am hoping it will have the magic seat and roll down windows like the MPV and since ford owns part of Mazda they should be able to get the technology.
  • flj168flj168 Member Posts: 12
    I have a '95 Ford Windstar (built 9/94) with 42K original miles that’s garaged 75% of the time. Does anyone know what's the battery life on the original battery? There's no color on the indicator eye on top of the battery, does this mean that I should replace the battery soon?

The batteries sold by Costco are 1/2 the price of Sears' Diehard. What replacement batteries would you recommend?

Thanks,
    Fred
    I barely got 3 years out of my original Quest battery, and it sounds like yours is indicating that it's near the end of its useful life. I got a replacement at Wal-Mart. If I still had a Costco card, I would have checked there. If you want a Diehard, and your Windstar still cranks fine, wait for a sale - they get marked down regularly.

Steve
    Host
  • iwantaporcheiwantaporche Member Posts: 5
    Is there a link or way I can find out about recalls and problems with windstars that are prepared for dealer service mechanics?
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide lists recalls and summary TSB info,

Steve

Host

For reasons to complicated to go into I got roped into making a drive this past Saturday that ended up being 800 miles in just over 12 hours. I am just over 59 and I thought those long trips at one shot were long time gone but I have to say the seats in the star were really nice for the trip and I was amazingly fresh when I got done. I have an SE with the lumbar support and it did well. No aches or pains that night or the next day.
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Also try www.nhtsa.gov
    And sometimes alldata.com has more recent info that either nhtsa or us.

Steve
    Host
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    what are people getting? I have a 00 SE and it rarely ever gets over 15mpg in town, our previous 95 ( yeah, yeah, some people are slow learners!) used to get high teens, though it also had IIRC some 30hp less. We also have a 00 Venture which gets 17-18 mpg. Just seems like the 00 Windstar is gobbling up too much gas and my in law drives it very conservatively - to the point she gets pulled over by cops more often than anyone I know for going too slow! - maybe thats the problem, she is never in overdrive!.
    I do about 22 MPG. That is a combination of highway and local travel, about at 60/40 split. If I get less than 20 I am usually with a full load and both ACs running.
  • maddogwrimaddogwri Member Posts: 1
    almost every car on the road today uses a japanese
    a/cp as most of the other parts, major failures
    after all these years still caused by a redesign
    of compressor head, shaft seal which leaks both
    fluid(gas) and system oil, as trade member
    I have replaced as many 4 pumps under warranty
    before taking heat from vehicle maker, brand was
    not relevant,
    I get on average of 17mpg, mostly bumper to bumper highway driving in Houston.

I can get as high as 24mpg on highway only.

I don't think I ever had a fill-up that gave me <15 mpg.

Could just be the driving conditions.
  • peetertpeetert Member Posts: 124
    we're looking at getting a 2000 Windstar SE and I'm seeing discrepencies in the invoice pricing shown here on edmunds, kbb and on the forddirect site.

Ex. 2002 SE w/ Family Sec pkg
    edmunds & kbb show 27401
    forddirect shows 27653
    a diff of 252

The TMV on edmunds shows 27473

The MSRP's however match.

If I go in and offer TMV, will they try to say it's less than invoice?

Thanks,

Peeter
    They might, but dealers sell cars for "below invoice" every day. They may make it up in document fee charges, options or lowballing trade-ins, not to mention various manufacturer incentive programs in play that the general public never learns of.

I don't think minivans are moving off the lots like gangbusters these days, so you should be in a pretty strong bargaining position for something close to that TMV price (or even better!).

Steve
    Host
    Ford raises incentive offers again

Steve

Host

• nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
    The revised minivan is on it's way. This article contains a picture of the Mercury version and I assume a Ford version will debut as well - http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13327#rel

Also, there's an article on the 2004 Ford Windstar at: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=13329
  • hutchaahutchaa Member Posts: 1
    Anyone know if there's a way to replace the factory installed VCR with a DVD. I know I can plug a DVD into the RCA jacks, but I would like to have a DVD in the c.c. instead of the VCR.
    Thanks
    2004 Pre-Launch Info

I think we'll get an '04 discussion going in Future Vehicles to go with the Monterey one already started there (link)

Steve, Host

• teamoteamo Member Posts: 2
    Is anybody having problems with blinding glare off the dashboard onto inside of windshield. We are experiencing such glare that we can't see objects in front of us. Shadows reflect back in such a way that we cannot see beyond the windshield itself.
    I have a 99 SE and have no problems.
    My 2000 SE doesn't have that problem. Does your dash have a rough non reflective type of surface like mine? (gray interior)
  • teamoteamo Member Posts: 2
    The 2003 Limited we have has the tan colored dash. At this point we have not yet purchased a dash cover but plan to. We talked to a lady today that told us that tan was the worst color for reflective glare....she suggested a darker dash cover. Any thoughts anyone?