Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    But TSX was rated very high by their owners on the same survey. Why would TL's owners particularly focus on the negatives? CG is rated by 'experts' on brand new TL rather than by owners after first 90 days right? Who'd we believe more?
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I have a 5AT w/ 2500 miles and am getting 27mpg with about 80% highway driving. When the split is 50/50, it goes down to 24mpg. On a recent trip (100 miles of 55mph two-lane @ 60mph), I got 30 mpg.

I'm taking another trip from Cleveland to Battle Creek, MI this weekend (about 250 miles each way - all highway). I'll let you know if I do better than 30mpg.
  • kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    Just spoke to a rep at Acura 800-382-2238 and he confirmed that there will be a recall on 04 Acura TLs equipped with auto transmission. Gave him the VIN # of wife's car and he said it was affected. It was purchased last Oct. Letter will be sent to owners sometime in July. I did not ask him if any other vintages of TL or other Acura/Honda models are affected.

Also looked at nhtsa.gov website and it did not have this recall info available yet.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Say it ain't so!
  • dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    I read the link posted and this sentence caught my eye: "The company has found only one confirmed instance of a transmission failure related to this defect in its passenger cars, with no accidents or injuries."

This apparent recall affects 499,000 vehicles from Honda and Acura. Doesn't this all seem a little excessive due to problems with only one car?
    I guess you can say Honda is VERY responsible or maybe the chance of having problem will increase down the road and they want to prevent it. Anyone knows what Honda will do if yours opt to be recalled?
  • dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    If your car is recalled, a simple inspection is in order according to the article:

"In most cases, the repair involves a simple gear inspection, which is accomplished without removing or disassembling the transmission, and a modification to increase the flow of transmission fluid to the affected gear. If there is any indication of damage to the gear, the dealer will replace the complete transmission assembly."
  • jwatsjwats Member Posts: 72
    I just purchased an O3 with 27,000 Miles so the 30,000 Mile service is coming up. This is essentially an oil change, an air filter change, replace pollen filter and a bunch of " inspections"...for about $300. Here are my questions:
    1. Does anybody have experience with these inspections actually finding anything?
    2. Would having this done improve my chances in a close call warranty question?
    3. Overall, is it worth the money vs. service at a much less expensive independent garage?

I am often accused of being a cheapskate so hold back nothing!
    John
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    To maintain the warranty, you have to have the work done, but you don't have to have it done at an Acura dealership.
  • crvolscrvols Member Posts: 23
    I own a 2001 MDX and 2004 TL. When I go to the dealer I always specify what I want done; oil change, filters, A1, etc. I always take my information from the Acura manual. They are constantly advising me that unnecessary maintainence is "recommended", but they fail to say by whom. Examples: they tell me I should change the rear-end fluid on the MDX at 15,000. When I tell them the factory calls for this $100 service at 30,000 miles they say, Oh? They said I should get my radiator fluid changed at 45,000 miles when the factory calls for every 120,000. What I believe is really happening is they are "pumping up" their margins by praying on unsuspecting, unknowledgeable motorists rather than any real concern from their car maintainence. If my car stops in the parking lot when I arrive, the brake check is complete, the same for the other "inspections" they want to perform for $300. If you know anything about dealerships, you find they make most of their profits in the service bays. Also, most will have a minimum charge i.e.$200 they try to reach on each service visit i.e. $300 for the 30,000 mile check. That is why, when I leave my car with instructions on what I want done, I can almost countdown the time until the service writer/sales person calls with some reccomended-by-them service that the factory manual doesn't call far. As far as effecting my warranty, B.S.! They are trying to create fear and drive you to blindly accept their recommendations. Unnecessary service is one of the biggest dealer rip-offs going and is the reason why many dealerships, including my current Acura dealer, have such bad reputations with me.
    You would think Acura would heavily inspect/test-drive every car before any media road tests considering the consequences. This is a perfect example of what can happen if they don't. At least this guy was diligent enough to follow through and test-drive it again.
    I agree with previous posters on following the owner's manual for scheduled service. It is interesting how the dealers want to charge exhorbitant amounts for inspections at times and then at other times send out mailers to the house offering these same inspections for free.
  • 2003tls2003tls Member Posts: 100
    I know for a fact that Acura keeps their PR cars (the ones loaned out to magazines, etc.) out constantly so I am not surprised that one vehicle went out at less than perfect shape. Lucky for them that they got a second chance.
  • lotusflalotusfla Member Posts: 22
    I am seriously considering a 04 TL. My brother has an 03 TL-S and is happy with it. After lurking on this board I was concerned about fit and finish specifically the interior squeeks and rattles. I thought it may be a few individuals repeatedly complaining but then I looked at the JD Power initial quality survey (first 90 days of ownership) and the body/interior quality and mechanical quality both rated 2* out of 5*. Is this a case of owners expecting perfection or the reality of the situation? If the car has interior squeeks now what will it be like in 4 years? My 5 year old ES300 still does not have an interior squeek or rattle and the car has been (boringly) bulletproof.
  • rrorisonrrorison Member Posts: 6
    I have had my 04 TL since December and only noticed interior squeeks and rattles a couple of times while driving on a bumpy paved road. It does not surprise me considering the body panels are filled with foam for sound dampening. I also wondered about the JD Powers survey. I had to email them to get them to chage the image displayed on the 04 TL review. They had a picture of an 03 TL. With my experience with the fit and finish of the car I believe they mistakenly crossed the review with a 1972 Datsun B210 Delux.
  • sopecreeksopecreek Member Posts: 203
    I checked 2004 Lexus ES300 (that's what they have, it should be ES330) and the initial quality indicates quite the same, only 2 circles for the mechanical quality.
    But ES330 does earn 5 stars on body/interior, as expected from a Lexus. Its Mechanical may be plagued by some tranny issues. Not sure about TL's tho? Rattles and squeaks may drag down Body/interior's score, but Mechanical on TL 2 stars as ell, what gives?
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I suspect that JD Powers info is on early 04 TL's - and the early TL's did seem to have some problems based on what I see in this forum. But mine (built in Feb.) is great (except for the tires) and I think I see a pattern in the forum that the newer ones have many less problems. I would be surprised if Acura didn't quickly fix the production problems they had early in the model year.

As far as the tires are concerned I think they may be recalled - a birdy at my dealership whispered in my ear.
    I am pleasantly surprised.

I got 34 MPG on a 250 mile trip (all highway). I averaged 63MPH. Not too bad.
    Had oil and filter changed late last week on 04 TL at the Acura dealer. Checked dipstick this morning and oil was overfilled beyond the fill mark and oil covered the letters RCA. Same thing happened two oil changes ago and dealer service person asked that car be brought back asap to drain the extra oil.

Anybody else experience overfills? Have also had this happen a few times on Maxima over the years at a Nissan dealer and recently on a Honda at a Honda dealer.

From now on, the wife nor I will not leave dealer lot until parking car on level, running engine for awhile and then checking oil level.

Don't know what amount of overfill would cause crankshaft to hit oil. Would today's oil formulations such as SJ still foam?
  • raytlraytl Member Posts: 10
    FYI, I just returned from a 640 mile trip in the Colorado Rocky Mountains in my 2004 TL (automatic). The trip computer indicated average MPH of 54 and gas mileage of 32. I calculated 31.9. Much of the driving was moderate (55-65), some was at higher speeds (80) and I hit 90 once or twice while passing. Only one traffic jam occurred and was a few minutes. Manual mode was used while descending some steep passes.

Other than this trip my driving is a mix of city and highway in Colorado and I get about 23 MPG and average about 30 MPH. This is virtually identical to my last car, an 1998 Audi 2.8 Quattro with a manual.

Anyway, I am quite pleased.
  • pajackpajack Member Posts: 32
    Take a look of the Acura TL A-spec concept. 300HP and new exterior style.
    Love it...

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=2101

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=187028
  • salbaby1972salbaby1972 Member Posts: 165
    Actually, that is the TL B Spec. You can get the A spec kit now at your Acura dealers. Also go to ebay.com and search on Acura TL A Spec and you can see the used TLs with the A Spec kit.

-S
  • jkgjkg Member Posts: 8
    Beautiful packaging of exterior design highlights, interior upgrades, and power of 300 hp or more. Probably about $45,000.
    I remain satisfied with my 2004 TL 6 speed, and 2004 Accord Coupe, 6 cylinder & 6 speed. Both are Duke blue. Both are better priced for the equipment offered than the competition.
  • cheddarmuffcheddarmuff Member Posts: 8
    What types of phones do people use with their TL's? I was looking into the Sony T637 through AT&T (seems the best out of the terrible selection they have). Any other alternatives?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I use a Motorola V600. It works reasonably well, although there are things about ATT Wireless I don't like compared to Sprint PCS that I switched from.

I was discouraged from the Sony/Ericson line of phones by the ATT store manager who indicated that their Bluetooth link wasn't as good/powerful as Motorola's. He claimed to have a few complaints from TL purchasers who traded in their Sony phones during the first 30 day trial period. I am not sure which model(s) he was referring to.

P.S. I generally keep the phone in the lower bin under the center armrest (where I also have a car charger for the outlet there) and have no problem with the signal.
  • compcomp Member Posts: 43
    Anyone purchase an Acura from the Nashville area dealer recently. Wondering if their customer service (both buying and more importantly service) has improved any over what it was a few years ago.
  • dukehoustondukehouston Member Posts: 2
    I have an Auto TL with about 2000 miles on it, this is my second post about the car....
    1. When starting the car a yellow light comes on and says side air bag not working then goes off after a few seconds, anyone else see it???
    2. Why are the volume levels so different on the XM channels. especially in the 40's??
    3. I have never gotten over 13 gallons in the car when filling up even when the light has been on a LONG time...Max 300 mile range before I need to fill up again...
    4. Dash squeaks, and headliner when the moon roof is rear cracked open...
    5. Clunky auto. trans....when it down shifts, I guess I'll put it on the list when I get the re-call auto trans. notice...
    6. Cingular is pushing me toward the new Sony Eric.637 vs the Moto. V600, because of better Bluetooth compatibility and it is much cheaper right now in So. Cal., both have cameras, bright 65K screens and are new models. The Sony doesn't have a speaker phone and is not a flip. Anyone using the Sony Eric.??? Thanx....Duke
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Hey Raytl, I currently have a '98 A4 quattro 2.8 manual, and am also considering the TL. Have not yet driven a stick on the TL. Did you drive both, and how do you find the automatic?

I'm waiting for the '05's and am hoping to drive auto and stick back to back for comparison.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Can't comment on all your questions, but.....

Yellow airbag light is normal.
    The gas tank range seems normal.
    There are misc squeaks in this car -- dash, glovebox, door frame/seal, headliner, moonroof shade are the commonly reported ones.
    I've got a Sony Ericsson which seems to work fine with the Handsfree link.
    I own a '98 A4 quattro 2.8 and a TL - both automatic. They are very different cars. the TL has a lot of stuff the A4 doesn't and is just a more up to date car. The A4 rides a little better and the Quattro is great. At low speeds the A4 maybe faster but at higher speeds the TL definitely is faster. Both transmissions are fine.
  • raytlraytl Member Posts: 10
    I prefer a manual and drove the Acura CL last year with a six speed and found it very touchy, quite uncomfortable at low speeds or in starting. There is just too much torque going through the front wheels and the clutch point is too quick. Having heard that this same manual drive drain is in the '04 TL, I ordered the automatic last September and have about 8,500 miles on my TL.

Yes, I do miss the manual in the Audi but the Acura automatic is quite good. I agree with armand, the quattro with a stick is better at low speed whereas the TL with an automatic is faster once you are above 30 MPH.

You are correct in wanting to drive both before making a decision. Good luck.
  • btp205btp205 Member Posts: 9
    Hello, I have read many of your post on the various forums. I just picked up my TL with navi, 6MT with HPT, which if I am not mistaken is what you have. Anyway, I got the SPFD dealer to throw in a set of the standard EL 42 tires, not to use, but to use to trade in for a set of winter tires.

I saw on another forum that you have a set of winter Pirellis that are HP also, I tried looking for that tire but could not find in the 235/45-17 size. Can you elaborate on which tire it is and where in SPFD I could get a swap or trade in for these with the EL42s.

Also, I will be taking the car to STL for this next year....after that I am going to move for medical residency(4-5 yrs), however I do not know where. Thus what do you think about getting a set of all seasons for the EL42s (ones that would still be good in snow--in case I move to cold/snowy climate) instead of pure winter tires because I could move to a warmer climate with little or no snow. THis way I could use these tires in the event of snow or not as my winter tires would be sort of a waste if I went to a warm climate and I could still use my all-seasons for general use?....Thanks for the advice
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    Thanks for the comments on the A4 vs. TL - I'm a little surprised as I've heard (certainly compared to BMW) that the A4 2.8 has less low end torque, and with the weight of quattro I've always found my 5MT A4 was adequate but not fast off the line, but pulled pretty strong at higher speeds. You both concur that the TL is slower at the low speeds and faster higher up. That would imply no major power on a start - surprising for the rated HP of the TL.

I like the quality and interior of the TL (as also the A4, which is why I don't care for the G35). One of the things I've loved about the A4 is how buttery smooth it is to drive - steering, rock solid suspension, shifting, clutch). Do you find anything lacking in the TL vs. the A4 in that regard? I'm sure I'll like the extra space and gadgets. I also have the Bose in the A4 - how do you like the TL audio vs. the A4 Bose in sound quality on regular CDs? TIA
    The TL audio is "the best" by far. It is my favorite part of the car - I never thought I would go for M but find I love it. The quality of construction is about the same in the 2 cars - very good. Some how the A4 feels a little better on the road (Quattro?). There is a little torque steer in the TL but unless you push it hard its not a problem. I looked at the G35X and liked it except for the interior and the dealer.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    If you're thinking about all-season tires, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S should be on top of your list. You may want to check out this review:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/hl/pilot.htm

If you're trading in the EL42s at a Firestone/Bridgestone dealer, it might be easier to get one of their products in its place. Turanza LS-Z is highly recommended according to Tirerack:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&- tireModel=Turanza+LS-Z&vehicleSearch=true&partnum=345ZR7T- LS&fromCompare1=yes

Good luck!
  • jwatsjwats Member Posts: 72
    I have an 03 CL type S originally equipped with 17"x7" rims but now as 18". I want a second set of wheels and tires for winter use.

1. What other year OEM rims fit? O2? O4? others?
    2. I assume a CL type S is the same as an TL type S.
    3. Could I drop down to 16" or must I stay with 17"?

4. I believe the bolt pattern is 114.3x5 and offset of 55--could anyone confirm this?

Thank you for your help!
    John
  • lotusflalotusfla Member Posts: 22
    Does Honda/Acura Japan post new models on their Japanese website before they announce in the US? for example:
        http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/Windom/interio- - r/index.html
    is the 2005 ES330. I'm wondering if the 2005 TL will show up on the Honda japanese website before the US site. I'm still in the market for a TL.
    The TL is BUILT IN THE US!! The ES330 is built in Japan and then takes weeks after production to be shipped to America.
    So, that is unlikely.
  • jeffreylevinjeffreylevin Member Posts: 32
    In the market for a TL with Navigation. A friend recently said that the TL was the best deal for the money today. Driven Jag X-type, ES 330, BMW 3. Leaning towards the TL. Is there a second power outlet? Can you get fog lights? Input greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • btp205btp205 Member Posts: 9
    yes and yes, there are two power outlets, one in the lower dash and one in the storage under the center armrest. As far as foglights, there is a seperate dial for turning them on and off, the lights are integrated with the main headlight compartment, so if you are looking for bumper mounted fog lights they will not be there and thus don't have that 4 light look as other fog lights do. I just got my 6MT with navi TL last week, love it. I agree it is the best overall car for the money.
  • 03oddity03oddity Member Posts: 60
    The TL is by far the best car I've ever owned. I have a silver/ebony 5AT non-navi with about 2400 blissful miles. What a screaming value for the low $30s! (Navi in SoCal sells at MSRP, $3500-4000 more than non-navi, so you REALLY have to want it. The car is just great without.)

Much more interior room than the BMW 3 series, much better reliability than the Jag, and much sportier than the Toyota--oops, Lexus. And did I mention the 270 hp and 24 overall mpg?

I love the fact that Acura does not nickel and dime you for factory options. The power, the comfort, the ride, the handling, the technology, the sound system, the sexiness factor are unsurpassed at its price point. I do recommend you get the all-weather mats, trunk tray, wheel locks and mudguards. Many dealers will throw them in, mine charged me an extra $290.

Go for it.
    "Much more interior room than the BMW 3 series, much better reliability than the Jag, and much sportier than the Lexus."

Agreed. But then you can also say, its handling is not quite as good as BWM 3, the interior luxury/reliability not quite as superb as Lexus, and neither is it quite as stylish as Jag........

But then again it's one that comes close to about every category lead, and few do that many things well all in one package.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    The handling isn't quite as good as a RWD 330i.

But I wouldn't give Lexus any credit for being higher luxury or reliability in the TL price range. I drove the Camry - oops, ES330 - and it's very nice if you are aspiring from Buick to a higher level of luxury, but can accept similarly uninspired driving dynamics. I can't even accept the $50k GS430 body roll and lack of a manual transmission, so the ES330 is barely a car I would rent while travelling.

As for the style of Ford - oops, Jaguar - you're talking to someone who briefly owned an 1973 E-type coupe. IMO, there is nothing particlurly stylish about the Countour inspired S or X class Fords (darn it, Jaguar). I would give Audi credit for being at least as stylish, more original and better driving. But again, your at the $50k+ A6 4.2 to match the performance of the TL and it still doesn't have a stick.

The TL is certainly not a perfect car. But you have to look well above the $33.3k I paid for a 6-speed Nav to get something that is clearly better. For me, that would be the near $60k 545i 6-speed. For others that might like a more Buick like ride or can live with a much smaller car, you may not need to spend $60k. But you're still likely to spend well more than the TL costs, or be giving up quite a bit in the process.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    The new GS looks promising-I cant wait for a test drive.
    I know you are very inspired by the Honda, oops, Acura, TL, and it is indeed a good value all around. I will also take your assessment on looks even though they are subjective. But you can't dispute Lexus reliability record being just even a notch better than Acura's, and its interior is just some more refined than Acura's. If you look at JDP's initial and long term quality records, Lexus (an un-inspiring, boring #1 for all these years) is much better than Toyota's, while Acura's is simply barely on par with Honda's. Now who's more Honda's or Toyota's? Acura or Lexus?
    Lexus has a better finished interior with real wood. Too bad the ES330's exterior styling is poor.
    Fake wood in a $33K TL is embarrassing. It is less obviously fake than the plood in the old TL, but it still isn't that hard to see it's fake.
    Most of $30K+ cars don't have real wood in it so I'd not call it an embarrassment for TL. Lexus just excels in that department. You can't get everything in any $30+ car.