Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Sorry, I can dispute Lexus being a notch better than Acura. I'm looking at the Consumer Reports list of "How Automakers Stack Up" listing brands by number of problems per 100 vehicles for three year old cars. Acura is #1 with 21, Toyota and Lexus tied for second/third with 25, Honda 4th with 32...Cadillac is last with 82. But let's not split hairs on reliability. Acura and Lexus (and Honda and Toyota) are all very good.

And my comment regarding the Camry like ES330 wasn't intended to be disparaging of the Toyota nameplate. I'm not "brand" motivated by either Lexus or Acura. In fact, I'll claim right now that the "Honda" S2000 is the most technologically advanced, best built car by Honda/Acura or Toytoa/Lexus. I didn't give a hoot that it was labeled a Honda when I made my purchase decision, and I wouldn't have cared if the TL was made by Honda. My issue with the ES330 is more with the fact that Lexus has taken driving boredom to perfection. I couldn't bring myself to buy a Toyota Camry in 1995 (instead of a Maxima SE) not because it wasn't as reliable as a Stanley crescent wrench, but because it just lacked any remote hint of the road feel or handling dynamics. And, for a lot of the driving public, that's just fine.

For the record, the Lexus GX470 is one of the leading candidates for our SUV replacement. So I'm not anti-Lexus by any means. But I'm not sure what your agenda is relative to the TL. If you enjoy the way an ES330 drives, or a fan of the looks of a Jaguar S type, that's your business. But I don't think you are going to convince too many TL buyers that we should share those opinions.

P.S. I got the charcoal/aluminum interior. No fake wood worries here.
  • jrkellyjrkelly Member Posts: 21
    Before I purchased my non-nav auto, Desert Mist I tried the Lexus ES330, Infiniti I35 and Infiniti G35. The Lexus definitely has a quiet and smooth ride but then I read about all the tranny problems they have been having with the 300-330 cars since 2002. In 2003 the company even sent letters to all 2002-2003 owners telling them that if they experienced the problem they could take their vehicle in and have the chip reset to factory condition. Seems that isn't helping a lot of people.

Now, I don't know about anyone else here, but I'm not spending over $30k on a car that may or may not have a bad tranny problem that can't be fixed by the manufacturers patch. Bye, Bye Lexus.

Infiniti's I35 was sporty enough but looked a little old ladyish and lacked many of the features the TL provides. Plus, it is being discontinued. The G35 was definitely sporty enough but the interior looked awful. If they redesign the interior they may have a great automobile. So, bye bye Infiniti.

That left only Acura TL. I'm not one who needs a brand name on my car. I just want a reliable car that is solidly built for a reasonable price. TL delivered all that and more. I plan to keep on enjoying it for years to come.
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    If tranny was what you worried about, be prepared... Lexus had problem with their trannies in the software -> update the code, you are fine. TL, 2004 nontheless, has problem in the hardware, just wait for the tranny recall letter...

not to say TL ain't good. Will take Honda/Toyota products any day for peace of mind. I have start to form an impression(thru various sources, but only personal, mind you), that while both of them are in the same level in turns of reliability (quality control), Honda seems tend to use cheaper parts comparatively, and it shows up years down the road.

No flame intended, just an exchange of opinion or impression.
    I thought that the recall was only for 2003 and early 2004 models. My car wasn't made until 06/04. I've only had it a few weeks. I think it might be safe from the recall. At least I hope so!!
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    I have not accessed to the CR report. Mine is based on well published JDP reports. Year after year Lexus is head and shoulder above the rest, but Honda/Acura has decent showing too.

Your earlier comments sure made you sound more 'brand-motivated' than you really are. Why'd you need to care about Lexus vs. Toyota or Ford vs. Jag. Why don't you just comment on Lexus or Jaguar on their own right? Jaguar actually had quite a nice showing on 2004's JDP IQS (ranked higher than Honda/Acura). Surprise right?

As I said I think TL covers many grounds well in this price range, and while it may not be the best on any of them, it's close on just about all of them -- a feat on its own right.
    CTL - I just called the Acura 800 number and luckily my new TL is not under the recall. Guess I lucked out. Now if I could just get Verizon to get with the Bluetooth technology all would be perfect.:)
    For what it's worth, I tend to put JDP IQS results pretty low on the relevancy list when it comes to true long term reliablity. Don't get me wrong, no one (me included) wants hassles in the first 90 days of ownership. But if I'm not mistaken, Cadillac ranked very high by JDP and came in dead last on Consumer Reports look at 3-year reliability.

Even the Lexus GX470 has had quite a few initial bugs with transmission clunks, etc. But I'm under the impression that they are fixing them and I would sure be more confident in a Lexus lasting 100k+ miles without major problems than I would in a Cadillac Escalade.

Again, not to repeat, but the ES330 and Toyota Camry are both very nice cars in their respective segments, they just don't ofer any driving excitement whatsoever for me. Regarding the Jaguar/Ford comment, I guess that was a little snobbish. It's just sad to think that in order for Jaguar to improve correct their finicky, unreliable reputation, they sold out to Ford. Kind of like a pro athlete going to Richard Simmons to help him get in better shape. BMW has done an admirable job of improving product quality on their own (5-series still holds Consumer Reports record for highest rating ever given). And they haven't lost what makes BMW cars a real pleasure to drive in the process.

Again, I have to ask, do you really find the ES330 and Jaguar S or X type to your driving tastes? If so, perhaps we are just stuck trying to debate a Venus vs. Mars dilemma. When I spend $30k, $40k, or $50k+ on a car, I'd prefer to have something that is a crisp handling, good road feel, fun to drive car. I know many others looking for the next cure for insomnia. I'm just not one of them.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Three years ago neither Jag nor Cad ranked high on even IQS, so the fact that they jumped on IQS may signal overall quality improvement? Only time can tell. That said, nowadays very few cars (even the bottom ones) have serious powertrain problems in first 90 days so IQS may reflect more of the workmanship issues such as rattles and squeaks, which happen to plaque TL a bit. Longer term wise, Honda's engine is among the best.

Audi to VM, Volvo and Jag to Ford, Chrys to MB, Nissan to.... who knows. Dog eat dog world and hard to tell it's a lift or drag sometimes. There're maybe good reasons why Toyota, Honda, and BMW are not messing with all that.

On the rides of ES vs. TL it's almost like comparing looks. I don't think there's a rule that says which one is supposed to be better or worse. It's a matter of preference. Lexus went extra miles to make cars so smooth and quiet that steering wheel does not feel any vibration when idle, so much so that with its quietness very often you wonder if the engine is still turned on. To some, that's amazing and luxurious, and worth every penny. To others, it's just plain boring. As to road feel, I'd like that at times too (on flat road please). But don't give me too much of that over potholes. Now if Lexus can make pothole felt like flat surface, that'd be even more amazing, or, boring as well, I presume.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I don't mind smoothness and quietness per se regardless of the sportiness of the car. I do find the (auto version) of the TL has a somewhat rough idle. And if it had the solidity and squeak-free interior from a lexus, it would add even more to its driving pleasure. As for looks, there is no comparison. I've had the TL for over a month now, and I still find myself just standing around admiring the styling. The shape of the hood, the character lines, the fender flares, the way the wheels are pushed way out to the corners, etc., etc, -- viewed in person, the TL rocks. On the other hand, I don't find any car in the whole Toyota/Lexus lineup compelling to look at (in a positive way) from a styling perspective.
    I've taken a double-take on cars such as the SC430, but only because it's so ugly.
  • raytlraytl Member Posts: 10
    Sorry for the late response - I was on vacation. Here's my take on your questons about the 1998 A4 versus the 2004 TL:

- Yes, the A4 with a manual is quicker to 20 or 30 MPH than the TL with an automatic.

- The A4 is slightly smoother since it has no torque steer. The is mild with the TL, not a problem.

- The TL audio is definitely better.

Other things I like about the TL: larger size, better crash test results, quicker acceleration (other than from a standing start).
  • ctlctl Member Posts: 129
    not yet, that is. If recent history is any indication, Acura left question mark on "2004 having completely new tranny". Also, they do the recall on groups, like boarding a flight, first trucks, vans, suv, cars, then VIN from a to b...
    Well, the article said early 2004 TL's so I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. That would really suck if my two week old car gets a recall notice. That might take some of the love out of our relationship!! :)
    It's quicker, better handling (stiffer suspension, plus HPT option), better brakes and more fun to drive. Not to mention a transmission that isn't likely to be recalled.

For those that have the option, I can wholeheartedly recommend the 6 speed manual. As does my service manager who put over 225,000 miles on a Legend GS 6-speed that never so much as needed a new clutch.
    I probably would have at least considered the 6-speed IF Honda had offered the Nav with it in Canada. I guess they figure Canadians would have trouble changing gears and looking at the Nav screen at the same time!
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    You're kidding me right? You're comparing a 1998 A4 to a 2004 TL? A 2004 A4 hardly compares much less a 1998 A4.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    As an owner of both cars I can tell you they are both very good cars and in many ways comparable.
  • falcon74falcon74 Member Posts: 67
    I am considering buying a 2003 TL. I know the TL for 2001 and 2002 had tranny problems. Did they solve the problem for 2003?

TIA
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    As someone who has tested the 2004 TL and A4 (quattro), I can assure you that the TL is superior in terms of its navigation system and sound system. The interior of the TL is also quite nice. In many ways the TL is a more luxurious car -- and the 6speed manual we drove was "mighty" (as was the torque steer).

The Ultra Sport Audi A4 had navigation lite, but it seemed exactly dead on accuracy wise to the Acura. The interior was "less fancy" but seemed, overall, of a higher level of quality and fit and finish (subjective, but the Audi was real wood, at least). The Bose system in the Audi was nothing compared with the DVD-audio in the Acura.

The handling and driving of the Audi, however, was significantly its strong suit. The torque steer of the Acura was so severe that we had to fight the steering wheel during all but the tamest and least aggressive maneuvers.

Both cars have merit. The Acura, sitting still or motoring down the highway at a pleasant 80mph is a most pleasant place to be. Throw in some particularly entertaining twisties and it becomes a little too demanding. The Audi, a little more spartan, is nevertheless a comfortable chair both sitting and driving and especially when negotiating the twisties -- it is very well planted to the pavement and despite its somewhat anemic power (compared to the Acura) should be able in "the real world" to better the Acura when handling prowess is of utmost importance on all kinds of surfaces and under all kinds of coefficients of friction.

To each his/her own -- certainly. But to claim the A4 hardly compares with the TL is accurate if your meaning is to [somewhat harshly and somewhat unfairly] "dis" the Acura.

The Acura, based on what I know and what I've read would "blow the Audi A4 away" if Acura sees fit to keep the manual transmission and add the RL's AWD to the option sheet. In the mean time, the Audi is just as much a "contenda" as the Acura, any day.
  • vinceb81vinceb81 Member Posts: 39
    Noticed my 2004 TL dash board has finger prints and appears dirty. Do not want to use armor all. Any recommendations?
    ohh, I am sure the handling on the A4 is better than the TL. Heck, a $20,000 mustang has better handling than both. My point is that an A6 is a better comparison in terms of engine, room, features, and interior than the A4 is.
  • markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    A mustang?
  • dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    What's wrong with using Armor All? I've used it on mine and it gives a healthiness to the dash plus helps deter such things as fingerprints and dust. And even just a wee little bit followed by buffing with a clean cloth seems to help the plastic radio display panel from accumulating fingerprints and scratches.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Sorry for the late post, but my DSL went down for about a week.Yes I have a set of Pirelli Winter 270's, I believe. If I remember correctly, they are 225/45/17's, which will work just fine. I had these on my 98 BMW M3 and they were fantastic in the snow and really handled well in the dry. I found extra TL rims on ebay, so all I have to do is throw them on in November. From what I've read, the Turanzas suck in the dry and are pretty bad in the snow, too. Kuhmo, has a great high performance all season that is supposed to do exceptionally well in the dry and the snow, too. When my Potenzas wear out I will purchase them for year round driving. They are about $90.00 at the Tire Rack and are rated very favorably. The Potenza are an OK tire and I'm glad I got them over the Turanza's. Wouldn't pay $200 a piece for new ones, though. Drew and Lee and the boys in Springfield are pretty good fellas. Hope this helps.
  • jeffreylevinjeffreylevin Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone purchased an extended Acura warranty.
    Needed? Terms and costs would be greatly appreciated.
  • vinceb81vinceb81 Member Posts: 39
    Just did not want the shine. Thanks. I will use a little Armor All.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to go to the Advanced Search on the left side of the page and look for "Armor All". What I would do is tick "Search within message text" then limit the search to the Maintenance & Repair board. It's been discussed in the various "car care" discussions there.

And there is this archived discussion: Armor All Protectant available for reading.

Personally I've never used Armor All but it can be a "hot button" issue here in the Town Hall, so I thought you might want to continue your research. There have been lots of thoughts about it posted around these parts. :)

Hope this helps.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    I've had my TL for several months now and one of the most annoying items is how long it takes to cool down the car on a REAL HOT day. Specifically, if I get in a real hot car (i.e past 100 degrees), the fan on the air conditioning never goes above the two of three bar fan speed mark (fan goes to up 7 speed bars). I'd expect it to go right to the MAX fan speed much like every other automatical climate control system I have owned to quickly cool down the car.

Is this normal for the 2004 TL??
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    Mine does the same thing but I just push it up manually. I assume this is they way it's designed to work for some reason.
  • humayunkhan1humayunkhan1 Member Posts: 7
    I have purchased the extended warranty for my 04 TL Navi in April 04 when I bought the vehicle. The warranty comes in different forms from no to some deductible and what is covered for how many miles to the max of 100,000 miles.
    The plan that I bought was supposedly the best, called 'Platinum Plan'. It's a zero deductible, 100,000 mile or seven year coverage of everything including navigation system, wheel and tire damage etc, etc. The cost was 1495 dollars. If you dont use ths warranty your 1495 will be returned back to you at the seven year or 100,000 mile.
    Just be aware of the exclusions of coverage which among a whole host of things includes water leaks, rattles, paint chipping, etc. I think these are the most likely issues one may encounter with time but these are excluded. Just buy the plan with a little pinch of salt if you know what I mean.
    I am still debating whether I should or shouldnt have boght the plan! Good Luck,HK
  • rich48rich48 Member Posts: 21
    I drive a 00TL with 65000 miles. The car looks and runs like new. I love the new TL but can't seem to justify a trade as my car runs so well. Will the mileage and age compromise reliability? When is the point where a car becomes less reliable and a trade can be justified?
    Well bought the 04 TL on Saturday. Dealer very willing to negotiate with End of Month. Asked when I would take delivery, stated now. With a look, salesman could not have the car prepped at 3pm. Oh well, I am looking forward to Monday evening.....
    Dealer mentioned no break in period. Drive normally. Oil/Filter changes every 3500 miles.... Any opinions?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "Dealer mentioned no break in period. Drive normally. Oil/Filter changes every 3500 miles...."

It seems that this dealer cannot read! The ACURA owner manual says otherwise. There's usually a break-in period of at least 500 miles, preferably up to 1,000, where you vary RPM speeds and avoid revving the engine too high, etc. Oil change is usually around 5,000 unless you operate the car under "severe conditions". Just follow the manual and forget about your wise dealer! ;-)
    rich,

I bought a 2004 TL after milking my 1995 Nissan Maxima SE for 153k miles. And I decided to keep it as a back-up to relocate to our second home. It still runs like new, is cosmetically good and it's overall performance is not that much behind the new TL. However, having paid $21,000 for it in 1994, I figured I got my money's worth, with less than $1,800 per year depreciation (considering I have an offer to sell it for $4,500).

I suspect your 2000 TL w/65,000 miles has a lot of life left in it. Unfortunately, it's only worth about $13,000 on trade in according to Edmunds. That makes your decision not one of necessity, but one of preference. You will be paying roughly $20,000 to upgrade from a 2000 to a 2004, not including taxes. And then you need to ask you what 2008 models will be tempting you. In my opinion, trading every 3-4 years can be expensive, but it's only money.

P.S. I only kept my "fun" car, a Honda S2000 for 2.5 years and it cost me $10,000 in depreciation, so I'm not throwing stones at anyone for following their emotions.
    I am about to go in for my first oil change on a 2004 TL 6-speed. The indicator shows <20% oil life remaining at 3,400 miles.

Anyone here have an opinion on switching to Mobil 1?? I have 153k miles on my Nissan Maxima using nothing but standard Castrol dino-oil. But my 9,000 rpm S2000 saw nothing but Mobil 1, even from the factory. The TL is a lot closer to the Maxima in engine characteristics, but I'm inclined to go with Mobil 1 if there are any benefits.

Thoughts, recommendations appreciated.
    Regarding the Acura TL tires. I have read complaints on OEM Bridgestone tires. Is there any suggestion/replacement for an All Season replacement?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Another resource for tire research is this discussion on our Aftermarket & Accessories board: Ask Connor at the Tire Rack. Connor is a Tire Rack rep who is hanging out there to help out our members.

:)
  • olegdolegd Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what the residual value American Honda Financial is giving for a TL (non-nav) after a 36 month, 15k miles lease? I was a dealership today and the sales dude told me it varies between 53 and 56 %. Is it that low?!
  • jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    The Acura service department representative that I visit has advised that a blend such as Castrol synthetic, but not a pure synthetic oil(Syntec), or a high quality alternative brand, should be used. I have asked both Acura and Honda service representatives and they suggest a non-synthetic is fine if changed every 5,000 miles. Pure synthetic oil such as Mobile 1 or Syntec should provide more engine protection. I have not received any explanation from a dealer for not using Mobile 1 or Syntec. If someone has more insight, please advise. I seek advice within the upcoming month. Thank you and best regards.
  • 2003tls2003tls Member Posts: 100
    As an owner, I can definitely say "no!"
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    hi...we were looking at cars., saw the audi A4. S4, volkswagon, and ended up at Acura dealer,,,,and talk turned into offer...we liked the only model they had, a 2004 TL, silver metallic, navi, auto, A-spec package, etc....and so we bought it.... !!!

we were not even thinking about buying, but thought, what the heck....

we will get a trade in with the XG300, so that willl ease the blow.... :)

Picking it up sunday....
  • bgkanne1bgkanne1 Member Posts: 18
    As a general rule from what I have read (and in some cases from the car manufacturers themselves) switching to synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 should occur after the car is fully broken in. That could be anywhere from around 5K to 10K. Of all the synthetics on the market, Mobil 1 is recommended the most and is the easiest to find. Some cars (Porsche, Corvette, Viper, etc) come with it from the factory, but their engines are specially machined to accept Mobil 1 from new as a break in oil.
    I expect the reason you have noticed that the AC fan doesn't fully engage is b/c you've overridden the auto control feature. If you manually adjust the fan speed settings, it doesn't matter how cool you set the temp or how hot the interior of the car is, the fan will only run at the lower speed as exhibited by the two bars on the display in the example you use. You have two choices: 1) Continue to control the fan speed manually or 2) Leave the control in the "auto" position. This is a smarter option IMO as it allows the internal computer the chance to select the most desirable fan speed. I live in South Georgia (so you know it's hot here) and it takes all of about 2 minutes to really start to cool the interior on hot days and I just leave the control in auto mode. Once the car cools, the fan automatically slows down to accomodate. I can increase the speed manually by decreasing the temp setting or increasing the fan speed.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    David - I live in Atlanta now but I grew up in Douglas (Coffee County) and I can concur about the heat in South GA (although technically I think Dublin would be South Central GA).

My wife does this all the time. I get in the vehicle and it takes me a few minutes to realize the fan isn't adjusting speeds as it should. I don't understand why she can't just change the temperature. I asked her what she does at home if she's hot or cold and she said she changes the temperature setting on the thermostat and I said so why don't you do that in the car and leave it on auto? No answer. I gave up.
    Actually I find the opposite is true. If the climate control is left in full auto, the computer will kick the fan up to max almost everytime. For me the noise and airflow blast from the fan at max is too much. Unless you live in really really hot climate, I find if you crack the windows open a bit and have the fan at 2 or 3, the interior will cool sufficiently quickly.
    I live in the south and what I do is roll down the windows with the keyless entry as I am walking to the car. I have the auto climate control set at 68. I start the car and take off. Within 100 yards I roll up all the windows and close the sunroof. By this time the climate control is blowing out cooler air than the outside. Within a minute it is blowing out cold air and the car is quickly cooled. It works great I think.
    Allright, Allen, so technically Dublin is in central GA but it just sounds better to say "South GA" when talking about how hot it is. LOL!

Bodble, yeah I reckon you Canadians don't know too much about the HEAT! Good thing for you the TL also comes with the seat warmers. :)
  • magictimmagictim Member Posts: 7
    Is anyone else hearing any facts or rumors about any changes for the 2005 Acura TL?

I stopped by my Baltimore, Maryland Acura dealer the other day to inquire about 2004 & 2005 Acura TL's. There were almost no 2004 models on the lot.

I asked the salesperson if they knew of any changes for the 2005 TL. Here are the answers that I got: No change to body, turn signal blinkers will be added to exterior mirrors, no fold down seats.

I then asked if the 2005 TL would have the XM "Direct Traffic" feature, which is a system that shows accidents, road construction, live traffic patterns and travel delays on the navigation system, available for the top 23 metro markets in the USA. This is an incredible feature that will be available on the Acura 2005 RL. The dealer had no definite answer but he did say that the RL and TL share the same navigation system.

I'm holding out for a 2005 TL model for the following reasons: 1)Hopefully this XM Direct Traffic feature will be available, 2)The 2nd reason is that I'm hoping that Acura will work the bugs out of the 2004 model, such as lots of rattles and creeks. Is the rattling problem really bad for this car? It seems like a lot of the people submitting messages to this discussion board are complaining about the rattles.
    I just don't think that a $35000 car should have a lot of rattles and creeks.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on the above subjects.
  • magictimmagictim Member Posts: 7
    Is anyone else hearing any facts or rumors about any changes for the 2005 Acura TL?

I stopped by my Baltimore, Maryland Acura dealer the other day to inquire about 2004 & 2005 Acura TL's. There were almost no 2004 models on the lot.

I asked the salesperson if they knew of any changes for the 2005 TL. Here are the answers that I got: No change to body, turn signal blinkers will be added to exterior mirrors, no fold down seats.

I then asked if the 2005 TL would have the XM "Direct Traffic" feature, which is a system that shows accidents, road construction, live traffic patterns and travel delays on the navigation system, available for the top 23 metro markets in the USA. This is an incredible feature that will be available on the Acura 2005 RL. The dealer had no definite answer but he did say that the RL and TL share the same navigation system.

I'm holding out for a 2005 TL model for the following reasons: 1)Hopefully this XM Direct Traffic feature will be available, 2)The 2nd reason is that I'm hoping that Acura will work the bugs out of the 2004 model, such as lots of rattles and creeks. Is the rattling problem really bad for this car? It seems like a lot of the people submitting messages to this discussion board are complaining about the rattles.
    I just don't think that a $35000 car should have a lot of rattles and creeks.

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on the above subjects.
    No rattles here. 6-speed navi bought in May, now has 3,600 miles.
  • billherrmannbillherrmann Member Posts: 108
    took delivery of my TL in January. Have NEVER had a rattle or a squeek!!!