Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• tomsr1tomsr1 Member Posts: 130
    I think my TL is a soft riding car, but is there any way to make it take corners like a beemer.I rode in my coworkers grand prix for 200 miles and it was too firm for my taste. Can I have both a soft but well controlled ride.Is it the shocks or the springs or tires.I will not give up my reliable Acura for a troublesone BMW.VW advertises as being the most fun to drive but reliabilty is poor.I guess I want a go cart that rides like a Cadillac.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Webby I think you got a BMW 325 not a TL. Did you actually asking around the local Acura dealers for that?
    This is your post webby1 "BMW 3-Series vs Acura TL 2004" May 5, 2004 8:40pm!

Thanks bodble2 for the explanation. Mine doesnt vibrate also.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    You might want to try out the new TL. It is a vast improvement over the previous TL in handling. I went for a Maxima SE in 1995 and it wasn't until the 2004 TL redesign that I would have even considered buying a TL. Don't get me wrong, the pre-2004 TL was a nice quiet near-luxury ride, but handled very indifferently, IMO. The 2004 TL is in a completely different league.

You might also try driving the 6-speed TL. The 6-speed has a stiffer suspension, Brembo brakes and (optional) high performance tires. I believe the handling of the TL 6-speed is the best of any FWD sedan out there. Better than Audi and VW, and competitive with the RWD Infiniti G35, IMO.

However, make no mistake, even the new TL does not match the handling of the 200 lb lighter, RWD 330i. The 50/50 balance of that car and BMW suspension technology produces the best handling small sedan, period.
  • tomptomp Member Posts: 5
    Just beginning my research but I want to purchase an 05 by year end. How does the TL compare to the G35. I probably prefer a smooth ride over sportiness. Nav is important.
    I considered both the G35 and TL. My conclusions were:

The ONLY advantage the G35 has over the TL is the handling of RWD vs. FWD. And it is not a big difference. The G35 is NOT a BMW 330i, no matter what Infiniti marketing promotes. I actually thought the steering in the TL was crisper, although it can be affected by torque steer.

The Acura TL navigation system - 8" screen, voice activated - is the best available in any car, IMO. Add the voice recognition for other controls - audio, HVAC - that comea with the Nav system and the advantage is even greater.

Acura offers a few other features - Bluetooth phone, XM radio / DVD audio system, lighted steering wheel controls for everything, etc. that the G35 didn't offer. The G35 interior just looked downscale to me.

The Acura TL engine is smoother. The G35 has a torque advantage, but it is at the expense of a rougher engine. I have a 1995 Maxima with the 3.0 liter version of the 3.5 liter V6 used in the G35 and felt that my 10 year old Maxima engine with 153k miles wasn't as rough as the G35.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    Couple other points: I believe the G35 now comes with AWD, which is not available in the TL. However, the TL has a better interior, but rumors have it that the 05 G35 has made substantial improvements. I have not seen the 05 G35, and do not have a basis to form a reasoned judgment.

I believe most car mags tout the G35 as more of a driver's car than the TL, mostly because of its RWD and better steering and handling. However, if you want a nice blend of luxury, sportiness and new cutting-edge gadgets at a reaonable price, the TL is a VERY GOOD choice, particularly if reliability is also your top concern.
    I also heard the 2005 G35 received an interior upgrade, but haven't seen it in person.

As for the G35's "better steering and handling", I honestly didn't find that to be the case. I do prefer RWD in principle and the TL does exhibit occasional torque steer under hard acceleration, but in my test drives, I found the handling and steering of the G35 to be at best on par with the TL. Clearly, all RWD's are not created equal. The 330i, 530i and 545i I drove after the G35 were several rungs up, especially in terms of steering feel and feedback.

I have not driven the G35 AWD. I don't believe it came with a 6-speed in the past, perhaps that's changed.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "I think my TL is a soft riding car, but is there any way to make it take corners like a beemer."

In a word, no.
  • rikkrikk Member Posts: 14
    You want to drive a Volvo S60R. The suspension is adjustable so set it for what you want.
  • aciampiaciampi Member Posts: 66
    I heard that the first week of January Nextel is finally coming out with a phone that has bluetooth. The only problem is that I need to by a bluetooth SD chip because it is compatable and not already installed. Does anyone know if this method will be able to be paired with my TL? Or should I just come to grips with the fact that all Nextel really is is a fancy over priced walkie-talkie?
  • baleaghabaleagha Member Posts: 3
    You say "NAV is important" so I must tell you that there in no better, easier to use, more sophisticated NAV than on the Acura TL. If you do some test drives in other cars you'll agree.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    >You want to drive a Volvo S60R

And it is extremely comfortable at the same time. And it has a great nav, although it's not voice activated, but it comes with a remote for the passenger to use or the driver has handy controls on the steering wheel. Amazing handling.
  • pisciottapisciotta Member Posts: 54
    Get to know the lemon law with your (TL) between the transmission problems and vibration at 50 mph your gonna need it!!! easy choice G35
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Sorry but no transmission problem on new TL (only previous model). Some earlier build (5/6 months since the model introduced) got a recall also but only for prevention/no tranny replacement. Check NHTSA websites, but you will find some on G35 but zilch on TL.

INFINITI G35 Year: 2004
    NHTSA Complaint Number: 10093125
    2004 with approx. 7,200 miles. Rattling noise heard in 1st and 2nd gear. Dealer said it needed new tranny. REPLACED TRANNY.
    Picked up car and while driving home, could not get it into 5th or 6th gear. Back to dealer.
    Was told that tranny was bad and HAD TO BE REPLACED again. Picked up car and within a week heard a knocking noise in 5th gear,
    Vibration in stick shift and a clanking noise when applying the brakes for the first time after car sitting for a bit.
    Later found out that dealer lied about installing the 2nd transmission. Dealer refuses to tell me or give me paper work
    Stating what was done on car the 2nd time they had. Infiniti consumer affairs and regional manager have not proven to be out
    For consumers interest. In fact, they call lying about the 2ND TRANNY A "MISTAKE". Sounds like fraud to me, especially when
    I was told several times that they don't repair trannys ...they only replace them. They also gave me a work order/paperwork
    Stating that new tranny was installed twice.

Infiniti g35 year: 2004
    NHTSA complaint number: 10098647
    Transmission makes chattering noise as the engine shuts down (only able to hear when the transmission is warmed up and only able to hear it from outside or with the door open.). TRANSMISSION WAS REPLACED but the chattering noise still exists. I was told that THE PROBLEM EXISTS INTERNALLY IN ALL 6 SPEED TRANNYs' and the problem can not be attended to unless more people complain.

The new TL has 0 record for transmission failure 1 year since it was introduced. (at least no complaint on NHTSA record)
    So which drink that needs some lemons? G35 anyone?:)
  • tlongtlong Member Posts: 5,194
    I've just finished my first 600 miles in a new TL auto/navi and thought I'd post some impressions.

My previous driver was a '98 A4 2.8 quattro w/sport package and 5 speed. I went with the auto TL because the wife hates manual transmissions and I read about (and noticed) the torque steer on the 6 speed during a test drive.

The car is gorgeous. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and have still not found ANYTHING wrong with it, with the exception that last night the outside air temp suddenly went blank. I'll see if it is still that way -- perhaps my first problem. Other than that, no problems - no rattles, no cosmetic blemishes of any type, everything functional, etc.

Of course (can you believe this) some axxhole in a Toyota SUV dinged my rear left passenger door - we had seen the guy putting his kid in the rear of his SUV and I didn't realize the door had hit mine until I got home. I have the paintless dent guy coming next week to fix it.

The audio is great and everybody loves the camel interior (it is a bit richer and different than most interiors). My Sony Ericsson phone links perfectly with the bluetooth and everybody in the car can contribute to the conversation!

The engine is smooth and runs great. The navi is wonderful and the audio commands really impress people - dial the phone, set the temperature, and answer the nave system - all by voice -- and no, it does NOT need any training to a specific voice! (very impressive).

The car is quieter thank my Audi and again, have not seen/heard any rattles.

Average mpg in mixed driving has been about 19, which is a bit lower than I expected. Perhaps after break-in it will improve. I did zero the trip computer on the freeway and the steady-state cruising at 65mpg mileage was reported at about 31.

One slight complaint is in the handling deparment. The steering is nice and firm, as is the ride, but what I've noticed after driving the car longer than you normally do on a test drive is that going relatively quickly through long sweeping turns feels noticeably less stable than in the Audi. In a 60 mph sweeping freeway ramp turn, when you hit small bumps the car wants to roll side to side a bit, and this affects the steering stability, feeling like it wants to wallow left to right with the rolling of the car. The Audi did not do that at all - it was rock solid. I had previously driven a G35 and felt it was even worse than the TL, however. I guess the A4 spoiled me a bit.

I can also tell that the overall solidity of the TL is lower than the A4, which is a very heavy car for its size. The trunk sounds a bit tinny when shut, and I miss the gas shock mechanism -- the TL still has supports than intrude into the trunk, although there are nice covers to protect the luggage (look at one and you'll see what I mean).

Still, overall the TL is a very impressive package for the price and I'm very pleased so far. I just wanted to let people know that problems are posted quickly, but that there are probably a large majority that have few to none. The initial quality of my car is better than any new car we've received to date!
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    I replaced a very troublesome Jaguar XJ8L with the TL last December, and could not have been happier with my decision. For all that I've read about the TL -- squeaks, tire problems, etc. etc. -- I have had none of these issues. It's a great car, fun to drive, and I am still amazed at the value for the money. I realized that I was taking a risk buying a car in its first year of production, but no regrets. I have thought about replacing it with the RL (AWD in New England is very appealing), but am still enjoying the TL too much to fork over the add'l money. For anyone considering a TL, I'd say it's well worth consideration. It's a great driving car, great value, and the Acura dealer is about the best I've encountered. Happy car shopping.
    Regarding your "one slight complaint in the handling department", I recently drove a friends automatic TL and found that the difference in suspension stiffness between it and my 6-speed, while not enormous, is noticable. My 6-speed is pretty flat and tight in the curves. The 6-speed has the larger diameter anti-sway bars and "sport tuned" suspension. On the other hand, I also noticed that my friends automatic is somewhat quieter on the highway, with its standard tires, vs. the HPT tires taht came with the 6-speed.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    "and I miss the gas shock mechanism -- the TL still has supports than intrude into the trunk, although there are nice covers to protect the luggage (look at one and you'll see what I mean)."

tlong - what is the gas shock mechanism that you are refering to?

I also made the transition from an '98 A4 but a 1.8 version and have been in the TL since Feb and echo all of your comments. I miss my fold down rear seat and I would give the edge to the A4 slightly in terms of handling/agility but the TL is an outstanding vehicle considering everything.
  • pilotguy1pilotguy1 Member Posts: 32
    Nice to finally hear someone with something positive to say about the TL. I guess it is just the nature of the forum to post negative items. Lets face it, just like the newspapers, positive things are just not as note worthy as the bad things, and because that was all that I was reading it got my attention. So when I picked up my TL yesterday, I had alot of apprehension. Although I have only put my first 44 miles on it, I have not had any vibrations above 55 mph and have yet to hear my first squeak. With all the negative posts I have read I am hyper vigilant on these issues.

I think the TL is a awesome product and I hope it will be as trouble free as my 86 Honda CRX-SI was until I donated it with 204,000 miles three years ago. Time will tell, and so will I.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    pilotguy1,
    You got a red one right? How did it 'hold up' so far? Hope you got good sunshine to reflect that bright pearl. Did you get camel or parchment? Did you get mug gurads and if so does it look OK on red?
  • manthonymanthony Member Posts: 19
    I have a deposit down on an Acura TL and it's supposed to be delivered by the end of this week. My problem is that today, just for the heck of it, I drove a Saab 9-3 and it was the most fun I've had behind the wheel in a long time.

I can't even believe I am considering a 9-3 over a TL, but in all my test drives I don't think I ever felt the nimbleness in the TL that I experienced in the Saab. I know the TL has a whole bunch of other qualities going for it such as a more refined ride, a hot engine, a super-nice interior, an awesome sound system, better reliability and a higher resale value.

I guess I'm asking some of you TL owners who have had their cars for awhile if you feel the fun in your ride is still there or if you just crank up that incredible DVD-Audio system and sit catatonic as you drive to work? If you had to do it over again, would you still buy the TL?
    Notice to all owners of automatic TL's - please skip this message.

manthony:

I have often struggled with "fun to drive" and emotional desires and other more practical factors such as reliability, fit and finish quality, amenities etc. I am currently going through that dilemma in trying to decide on a replacement SUV.

However, I have no regrets for purchasing a 2004 TL 6-speed in May, whcih now has 10,000 miles on the odometer. I would NOT have purchased a pre-2004 TL at ANY price. It was an exceptionally fine car that had the emotional appeal of vanilla ice cream. With the 2004 re-design, the look and feel of the car went up 2-3 notches, but I still would NOT have bought an automatic version. Thanks to Acura's decision to make an extremely precise 6-speed manual available, and combine it with a stiffer suspension, high performance tires, and Brembo brakes, I finally had a car that appealed to both sides of my brain. That was a necessity, becasue I was also trading our third "fun" car - a Honda S2000 - for the TL.

I don't know if you are comparing manual transmission models of the Saab 9-3 to the TL. But, if you aren't, then IMO you have no basis by which to assess "fun to drive" ratings of either. It's been a few years since I drove a Saab 9-3 and, as I recall, the are relatively nimble, but lacked the tightness of suspension I prefer and the precise gearbox. The TL isn't perfect, but as far as FWD cars go, it is at the top of my list. The BMW 330i would take the overall handling prize, but even it's "performance package" 6-speed is slightly rubbery compared tothe TL.

In summary, you can have your cake and eat it too if you get a TL 6-speed. If you want an automatic anything, I can't help you with an unbiased opinion, because I am not. And I live/work in DC and am closer to 50 than 40, so I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon.
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    I had also driven the 9-3 when I considered the TL, and liked it a lot but went with the TL. I thought that the features of the TL (navigation, bluetooth as examples) were superior, and better value for the money. But what really clinched it for me was the experience I had with the Acura dealership over the Saab dealership, which I felt carried over into their service department, and also the general reputation for reliability of the Acura over the Saab. Not an easy decision, since I had wanted a Saab since I was 5 years old! As I look back, still glad that I went with the TL.

Good luck with your decision. You won't be making a mistake either way.
  • kwarnoldkwarnold Member Posts: 41
    Like you, I shopped the Saab and TL. I've loved Saabs for many years - never owned one, but test drove many over the years. I bought my 04 TL in May. I have a white with tan non-Nav automatic. I love the car.

I really like the looks of the new 9-3. Even after buying my TL I still do a double-take when I see a new Saab drive by. I had my eye on a new Red 8-3 Aero. While my wife dislikes the interior of the Saab, I do like the "cockpit" styling.

I was close to getting the Saab because of a bad sales experience I was having here in Columbus, Ohio. The Acura dealer was asking waaaaay above sticker based on the lease price I was being quoted. (He refused to show me how he could justify his outrageous payments.) So I was back at the Saab dealer ready to buy when I went to another dealer (Lindsay Acura in Columbus) who was willing to deal forthrightly and not waste my time like the other dealer in town seems to do as a way of doing business.

Anyway, when I looked at the features of the TL: horsepower, awesome stereo, satellite radio, Bluetooth, Honda reliability and overall looks, I was sold once I found the right dealer.

I have an automatic and I think it is a ton of fun. I am one of those people who feels that you don't have to have a stick to have a sports car. (Although if I were buying a Porsche I would only get a stick.) The handling is tremendous and I have used the power and handling to get myself to the limit more than a couple of times.

I think the decision rests in what's important to you. I like a luxury car with all of the creature comforts and bells and whistles. So the TL suits me well. With that said, the Saab is very nice as well.

In the end it is a cost-benefit decision you will have to make. In this case I think it comes down to vehicle content (as mentioned above) and vehicle dynamics ("fun-to-drive factor).

Good luck!!
    Thanks for your input, folks.

habitat1: It's clear that after 6 months you are still having fun and that's great. And, I can understand how the fun factor would increase with the 6MT, but I am on the farside of 50 and these old legs just don't want to push on that clutch pedal anymore. So, I am comparing the A/T versions of both cars and, still, the driving characteristics of the 9-3 are markedly different from, and, in my mind, more fun than the TL.

shs111: As far as dealer attitudes go, I'm sensing a little more arrogance on the part of the Acura dealers these days because they know they have a high-demand line of products (except, perhaps, the new RL . . TBD). But, in my case, I don't think the dealer differences will come into play as I think I can live with either.

So, bottom line question remains: Do I make the smart purchase (TL) or the emotional one (9-3)? I'll let you know on Friday how things turn out.
    Thanks, kwarnold. I think you and I both have an appreciation for creature comforts and, in the end, that may be a key deciding factor.

One thing I haven't mentioned is that Saab has foolishly upped the MSRP on the 9-3 this year to the point where an Arc equipped similarly to a TL w/ Nav is almost $4K more than the TL. I can get the GM Supplier discount, however, and am waiting to see if there are any December incentives which would bring it down to a comparable price. If not, then TL here I come for sure.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    Hey - I just turned 70 and am the happy owner of a TL A/T. One of the reasons I bought it was at my age I feel I need a really reliable car. Breakdowns just aren't some thong I want to put up with. I had the car since March and have about 8400 miles and it has been totally reliable. Obviously there are a lot more miles to go before I can really talk to reliability but Acura does have a good reputation in that regard.
  • pilotguy1pilotguy1 Member Posts: 32
    When I picked it up it there wasn't any sunshine, it was raining. I got the ebony interior and I didn't get the mud guards yet. I am holding off on getting them till I can find out if someone is selling them body color like the white one I saw with them. That person might have had them painted, but I don't have alot of faith in any local body shop doing a good job on them because they are so flexible.

Once again my salesman fell short of good service. I asked him to get me a price on the floor mats and body side molding before I signed the paperwork and he said he would check on the wholesale price on them for me. When it came time to sign all the paperwork, there was nothing about the floor mats or side molding. I asked the person that had all the paperwork about the price on the accessories, and he knew nothing about it. He quoted me a price of around $375 for the side molding and I told him I just wanted the price of the molding and that I would install it my self. He then quoted me a price around $265, I said keep it. I then went to the parts counter and got the side molding for $140 and the all season mats for $105.60 and the salesman didn't get the credit for it.

Igiban, when are you finally going to pull the trigger. I'm looking forward to hearing your experience.
    How does it look under rains when there's no metallic pearl to be seen? Kind of dark? I've found the red TL changes its color quite a bit by the weather!

I'll let you know how my red TL is when I get it. It's been hard to get a hold of one.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    and love the handling of the car... With the A spec package, it is kinda firm, but it is spiffy.

only thing is the car still kinda veers to the right.....is that torque steer ? It is even present when cruising or when I'm not even really stepping on the accelerator....

will bring it in, and get the first oil change also....
  • atlantasteve1atlantasteve1 Member Posts: 5
    Is there any way to bypass the start page every time I start the engine? I agree to abide by their rules, I promise.
  • beaker1beaker1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have autostart for their Acura TL S-Type? If so, any problems electronically? What brand is it?
    I don't think you can really change that, unless you change the software. I have the similar start pages with the Porsche nav, and the after market Alpine nav......I think it is for liability issues.

Kinda pain to have to scroll thru it...
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Every nav system has it and it can't be disabled. Thank the ambulance chasers.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Even though you can't disable it, after only about 45 seconds it goes blank, so by the time you put on your seatbelt, adjust the mirror and pull out, it'll be blank.
    Just thought of something: if you took the nav DVD disk out, you wouldn't get the start page, would you?

And this leads to another question. If you're not going to use the nav for an extended time, is it adviseable to take the disk out? Can the disk be potentially damaged (from heat, vibration?) from sitting in the cartridge in the trunk?
    I don't know, but if you can take the start disc out, can you conceivably program the machine to read movie DVD discs...... ?
    I don't know about the TL but in my Aviator you have a choice of audio or navigation screens and as long as you leave it in audio there is no warning message. You get the message if the car is started while in map or navigation mode or the first time you switch to map or navigation mode. Does the TL have a non-nav mode and if so, does it still prompt you?
    The TL defaults to the legal warning regardless of which screen it was in when the car was last turned off. It is a little annoying, but like I said, if you ignore it, after 40 or so seconds the screen goes blank.
  • jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    I think you can still use all of the functions of the display screen (Audio, Climate Control, etc.) without agreeing to the warning. You just can't use any of the NAV features.

Jeff
  • crujonescrujones Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the forum so I don't know if I posted this at the correct spot. Please send me help if I am doing this wrong or should be doing this somewhere else.

My question is does the DVD player play burned music? Also are there certain dvd's that you need to buy. I have been in cars that only play certain kinds of burned cd's and I was wondering if the acura has the same type of issues with the dvd player.

I was also wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with the bluetooth not working with certain kind of cell phones - specifically the Motorola v710. The following link is an article which mention that this phone and the TL's bluetooth may not work correctly together. http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html

Thanks,
    Cru
  • sworkssworks Member Posts: 10
    My wife and I have the Motorola v551 that jsut came out. It works perfectly with our 05 TL. You can get it on amazon for $250.

Graet spy phone, camera, video, voice recorder.
  • beaker1beaker1 Member Posts: 2
    Any one have it? What brand? Any problems? I want to get it before the dead of winter sets in!
  • crujonescrujones Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the forum so I don't know if I posted this at the correct spot. Please send me help if I am doing this wrong or should be doing this somewhere else.

My question is does the DVD player play burned music? Also are there certain dvd's that you need to buy. I have been in cars that only play certain kinds of burned cd's and I was wondering if the acura has the same type of issues with the dvd player.

I was also wondering if anyone has experienced any problems with the bluetooth not working with certain kind of cell phones - specifically the Motorola v710. The following link is an article which mention that this phone and the TL's bluetooth may not work correctly together. http://www.nuclearelephant.com/papers/v710.html

Thanks,
    Cru
    It only plays DVD-Audio or DVD-A discs, not regular DVD videos. It should play CD-Rs but I don't think it plays MP3s (based on previous posts).
  • buffaloesbuffaloes Member Posts: 24
    Can anyone confirm if the 2005 TL will play CD-R's burned from for instance ITunes?
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    Also, DTS Audio DVDs.
  • jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    I've burned several CD-Rs with iTunes (on a Mac) and have had no problems playing them in my '04 TL. I haven't tried CD-RWs or DVD-Rs, though.

Jeff
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Re: "only thing is the car still kinda veers to the right.....is that torque steer ? It is even present when cruising or when I'm not even really stepping on the accelerator...."

I have exactly the reverse of your problem; mine tends to veer to the left. The problem has improved significantly since having the tires replaced/rotated, but is still there to some extent. Specifically, the car will fall off rapidly to the left when cruising in the left lane but drive straight or pull slightly to the left when in the right lane (unless the roadway has a really steep drop-off to the right). The problem seems more severe on some concrete roadways, which have a more pronounced "bite" than smooth asphalt. Also, the steering loads up more when turning right than when turning left (i.e., turning resistance is proportionately greater to the right than to the left, other things being equal). I understand that this problem has also been reported for recent Accords. The Bridgestone tires are suspect, but I think other factors might be at work also. My TL goes back into the shop in December for further investigation. Apart from this, the car is great. Please post whether or not you get resolution.
    I know 17" tires are more costly to replace/maintain than 16". How much is one of these 235/45/R17W TL tires typically cost?