Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    What's in a $25 service? Was that done by an Acura dealer? My lcoal Acura dealer would charge more than that just for oil/filter change (no tire rotation) + wash maybe.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    It was the first prescribed service (I think its called an A service) which was an oil and filter change, top all fluids, and inspection and it was done by an Acura dealer.
  • nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    "Its always true that high Oct. gas will result in higher HP. Its not rocket science."

Not true. Higher octane in of itself does not result in higher HP. An engine designed to operate at peak efficiency on regular will show no performance benefit from premium. Higher octane is necessary for many engines that develop high HP because they rely on compression ratios and other tuning characteristics that produce detonation if lower octane fuel is used. Modern engine electronics compensate for this by taking measures to reduce detonation. These measures also result in less than peak performance from the engine. Lower octane fuel explodes more readily than high octane fuel. That's what detonation is -- the fuel/air mixture exploding rather than burning evenly.
    After three months of ownership, I'd note the following problems and potential improvements:

1) The handbrake belongs in the center of the console or on the driver's side, not on the passenger's side of the console. I have the 6 speed. Employing the correct procedure of using the handbrake to hold the car at an intersection results in potentially embarassing brushes with the thigh of the front seat passenger when it's time to release the brake.

2) There's not a lot of ground clearance. I bottomed out while carefully negotiating some road works this morning.

3) I'd like round dials to control the heat and A/C.

4) The instrument lighting is a gimmick -- you cannot read the deep blue kilometer values without turning the brightness to full. It's too easy to think that you've turned the headlights on when you haven't because the instruments are permanently illuminated.

Mine goes in tomorrow to see what can be done about it's tendency to veer left and load up to the right.

Otherwise, great car. Seriously fast; good long distance cruiser.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    1) I couldn't agree more. It is an awkward reach across the console to the handbrake. If someone (other than my wife) is sitting in the front passenger seat, I will almost always look when reaching for the brake to avoid grabbing someone's thigh.

2) I have not bottomed out, but my 14-yr-old son did remark that the car almost looks like it's been lowered. But if you bend down and look under the car, there's actually a normal amount of ground clearance.

3) Not a big deal for me personally, but I agree round dials would be more user-friendly.

4) I think that's why there is a headlight-on indicator.

A couple of other improvements that I would add:

1) Forget about the gated shifter. It's a gimmick and deters easy shift action.

2) Make the keyless "beep" sound louder. Right now you almost couldn't hear it unless you're parked inside a museum.

3) A power tilt and telescoping steering wheel.

4) Rear headrests that can be tilted down out of the way when not needed.

5) A choice to tilt BOTH side mirrors down in reverse.
    I can see that engines tuned for more HP on premium will lose some HP with regular, but how's MPG played there? Would regular hurts MPG in such engines and why?
    Wouldn't handbrake on driver side get in the way of cup access? Middle is not an option as there's storage there. Footbrake might be better but some people prefer using hand to control that.

On the gated shifter I think most luxo cars are shifted that way. My ES is so but it shifts quite smoothly. On a TL test drive I did find that the shifting a bit unforgiving -- you get stuck kind of easily. I thought I did something wrong. Once you are used to it it's not a big deal, but I do think it'd be easier to move.

For headrests I'd be happy if they can only indent it more 'into the seat' and you pull it up only when needed.
    I would add to the list a passenger seat height control.
    re: "I can see that engines tuned for more HP on premium will lose some HP with regular, but how's MPG played there? Would regular hurts MPG in such engines and why?"

Can't speculate how a given engine management system might work, but one strategy used to reduce operating temperature and detonation is to enrichen the mixture. A richer mixture means a higher percentage of fuel in the fuel/air mixture burned by the engine, hence lower mpg.
    And:

"Wouldn't handbrake on driver side get in the way of cup access? Middle is not an option as there's storage there."

Yes, but is it a car or a cafeteria? :-)
    You'd be surprised what people put in those two big cup holders of TL's for easy access! Plus, these hand brakes of Acura's are long and when up, can really kind of blocking. This is an area you have to like Audi's or Bimmer's better where they simply have a short brake on the driver's side. One of rare instances where German cars win points on ergonomics. I personally don't use hand brake that much so I kind of like the way TL's is. Foot brake, like those in RL, Lexus, or MB, could work even more cleanly!
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    How about a storage console that is big enough to hold DVD-Audio disks.

DVD-Audio is nice, but DVD-Audio and SACD would be even nicer.

How about a mute button for the radio.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "How about a mute button for the radio..."

That happens automatically when you receive/send a call via a bluetooth-enabled phone.
    The only time when cup access might be an issue would be when the car is moving, but then the brake would be in the down position. If you're drinking coffee while parked, I don't see that as a big problem.

Foot brake would leave a cleaner console, but personally I hate foot brakes, especially the push on/push off kind, which is what Acura uses.

I think the best solution is an electronic parking brake, with button controls.
    Yeah, if price is not an issue.

They could just lower the brake position on the driver side relative to the central platform. It'd have been still kind of sticks out when the brake is down had it were on the driver side now.
    You know, I'm sure others might think I'm a bit of an idiot to pay so much attention to a thing like a parking brake, but I think car manufacturers, if they just put a little thought into it, can integrate the parking brake cleanly and ergonomically into the console. How about something along the lines of what they did with the CR-V? Or even, as you suggested, just simply lower it on the driver side so it doesn't stick up. It's not exactly rocket science!
  • volvossuckvolvossuck Member Posts: 11
    I thought I heard that the new TL had an AWD option. True of false?

Thanks, TJ
    "The only time when cup access might be an issue would be when the car is moving, but then the brake would be in the down position. If you're drinking coffee while parked, I don't see that as a big problem."

Yes, for an automatic, but for a manual you need the handbrake to hold the car at a light, etc. The alternative is to use the footbrake or the clutch to hold the car on an incline -- not good technique.
  • revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    I agree with many of the posts, I think the basic problem is they basically added tons of bells and whistles to this car without perfecting what people really desire - smooth acceleration combined with superb handling. We have the acceleration but handling is all over the road, whether due to tires, vibrations at over 55 mph, car pulling to the right/left or a suspension that is tuned to function best on only smooth hwy surfaces. Hopefully on the next version of this car they will pay more attention to the driveabilty and less to the stereo, bluetooth etc.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hmmm ... I've driven manuals all my life and when stopped at lights when on an incline, I shift into neutral and keep my foot on the brake. Why would I want to use the parking brake instead of doing that?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    I used the parking brake in such situation so that the car wouldn't roll back in the second between lifting my foot off the brake and putting it on the gas. Otherwise, I'd have to do a "rabbit start" and burn some rubber, which I didn't want to do :-)
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I can see that engines tuned for more HP on premium will lose some HP with regular, but how's MPG played there? Would regular hurts MPG in such engines and why?

The timing must be retarded to prevent detonation if you use lower octane fuel than recommended. The engine is not as efficient with the timing retarded thus the mpg drops.
    "Hmmm ... I've driven manuals all my life and when stopped at lights when on an incline, I shift into neutral and keep my foot on the brake. Why would I want to use the parking brake instead of doing that?"

In the UK you'd fail the driving test for that -- failure to maintain positive control of the vehicle at all times. This pertains to the time between taking your foot off the brake and pressing the accelerator as you move off. Please don't jump all over me for saying so, but It's a real problem in the US, where drivers of manual cars consistently let their vehicles slip backwards towards the car behind them at hilly intersections.
    I think a lot of owners feel they have both the acceleration and the handling - I know I do. There may be a certain number of cars with problems (there always are regardless of brand)but I believe there are a large majority of owners (including me) that are very happy with almost all aspects of thy car. I have a few minor grips but I have them with every car i have every owned - including more expensive cars than the TL. For what you get for the money it is a great car.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    Some people just wanna have some fun, ignore them! we know what we got, thats all that matter, right!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Well, I guess I should clarify that I've always lived on the east coast in a mostly sea-level area, so maybe that's why I've not had a problem. But it still seems to me that a skillful driver won't roll back much in the second or so it takes to engage the throttle. However, you can't control how close the other person gets to you, so I see the point. It's just never been an issue for me.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I took delivery yesterday of a new 2005 TL - Green Pearl - Parchment Interior - No NAV. The engine in this car is awesome and the interior has a rich look. I traded my 2003 Cadillac CTS in on the TL. My CTS had over 50,000 miles on it and I had many reliability problems, I just lacked confidence in the CTS. I am amazed at how much more refined the TL is compared to the CTS. The TL's engine is so much smoother and more powerful than the CTS. I only have about 50 miles on my TL so my impressions are limited, but I am impressed thus far. I believe if the TL was rear wheel drive it would be recognized as the best sports sedan in it's class.
  • pkl123pkl123 Member Posts: 43
    If you dont mind, what kind of deal did you get ?
    MSRP including destination and handling was $33,470. I got a $2769 discount for a subtotal of $30,701 plus tax and title fees. I got Kelley Blue book wholesale for my trade. I felt this was a great price. What do you all think?
  • jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    >> How about a mute button for the radio.

If you are listening to a CD or DVD, you can pause the playback by pressing the numeric button of the current disc playing (i.e. if you are playing disc 2, hit the preset button 2). This will pause playback which will in effect mute the stereo.

This isn't in the manual, I found it out when I was trying to switch CDs and hit the wrong preset button :)

Jeff
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    Sister is leasing the TL, but has a 6 month old in a rear facing seat. It is the Britax Advantage, which is on the large side. Concerned over her ability to fit it comfortably in the outboard position (two kids) with a 6' driver.

She is planning on bringing the seat into the dealer for a "fit", but would like some feedback from others who have installed car seats in the rear of these vehicles.

Thanks.
    That's getting close to invoice now. If you get pro pack it's even under. Is Acura or TL just not that popular in midwest?

Anyone can get that kind of price in CA, esp. No. Cal?
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    Golfnut5, I just purchased a TL in Columbus, Oh. (Lindsay Acura). It's the dark gray metallic with ebony interior with the Navi. I haven't seen the green color, but it looks like a great color for the TL. I drove a bunch of cars including a CTS and STS before deciding on the TL. My wife and I are both in amazement at the combination of performance, handling, and refinement for the price. This car is world's apart from the '02 Regal GS I traded in. The engineering and attention to detail is something pretty special compared to what I'm use to. The Navi learning curve was a lot to handle at first, but it's all getting pretty routine now. I ended up paying $33,300 for mine, but the dealer did $1,500 better on my trade than any other appraisals I had gotten. I did look at the "Tire Rack" survey for the OE Michelin tires. It doesn't look like they will perform very well after 20K miles or so. Maybe I should just consider this a summer tire, even though it's an all season tire, and get some snows. If anyone wants to put up another 10K the RL is an outstanding ride too.
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    RL is more like a 15k increase.
    I have to admit it's been awhile since I've owned a manual, but when I used to drive those little Honda and Mazda hatchbacks with manuals back in my "youth", I swear, no matter how steep the incline, I could limit rollbacks to no more than a foot, without ever using the handbrake. Mind you, a heavy, high-powered car like the TL may be more difficult to get the right clutch-slip.
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    What's 5K among friends? Guess I didn't look at the price seriously. At 48,000 it compares favorably to everything else we tried at that price.
    I agree with you, I cannot believe how nice the fit and finish is on the TL. The engine is awesome. A similarly equiped CTS would be priced over $40,000. The only thing I think the CTS has over the TL is rear wheel drive. I hope in the future the TL will be available in all wheel drive version.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    Have had a front facing seat in the back seat of the TL for almost a year and have recently had the occasion to add a rear facing for our new arrival about 6 weeks ago. We have a Graco system that includes a base that remains in the car and is fastened via the LATCH system. The detachable infant seat then attaches to the base in the car or can be placed on the stroller. I am about 6 feet tall and in my normal seat position the rear facing seat fits in fine behind me although it just fits. The TL does however have good rear seat room and this is one of the reasons I bought it over the A4 or 3 series which are quite a bit tighter.

Now if they can just get that cup holder and parking brake design right on the stroller we'd be all set.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    It is a very fine audio system but I find that I don't listen to the DVD-A disks very often since the selection available is so poor.

Bobble - I noticed that bestbuy.ca has their Cdn website up and running and have a DVD-A section on there. Same blah selection though as what was available in store 5 months ago.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I would prefer seeing the TL converted to RWD rather than AWD. I have driven the RL and, although it's not comparing apples to apples, found it to be no better handling than my TL 6-speed. That extra weight in the RL is noticable and would take away from the nimbleness of the TL.

When I was shopping, I also test drove both the 330i and 330ix and felt the same way. AWD may be preferable for poor weather conditions. But, IMO, it simply doesn't afford the handling feel of a lighter weight RWD setup, at least not in most sedans. I won't kick a 911 Turbo out of my garage, but its rear engine layout provides a different driving dynamic altogether.

I'm not sure what is keeping Acura from going to RWD on their higher end models. Lexus' GX300/430, SC430, LS430 are, as is the Infiniti G35, M and Q classes. I hope Acura isn't so enamored with the SH-AWD system that they feel it is the answer to all of their models. I didn't even consider Audi, in part because of their porky curb weights and sluggish performance. Let the 4,000 lb RL be the showcase for technology, but keep the TL under 3,500 lbs and make it even more competitive with the 3 and 5 series.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    only changes I would opt for in the TL would be a

1- maybe rear wheel drive

2- flexible engine with more torque available earlier

3- better transmission..

but these are not major issues..I think. IT s a real good car...
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Because it would pull significant sales from the RL. Same reason you'll probably never see a V6 in the TSX. Maybe there will be a RWD TL sometime but that's a major engineering development program. Since the current TL is only 1 model year old, it will probably be several years, if it happens.

I think the typical luxury car buyer is more interested in a smooth ride and interior luxury than absolute handling prowess.
    "I think the typical luxury car buyer is more interested in a smooth ride and interior luxury than absolute handling prowess."

Sounds more like a Lexus tho.
    I doubt the TL would ever offer RWD. If anything, they would introduce a separate RWD model for the hardcore enthusiasts, like Lexus did with the IS300
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    agree ....

this platform has been front wheel drive for a long time...
  • kkftzkkftz Member Posts: 15
    Folks, I'm currently in the Market for a new car, and have narrowed it down to three cars... Cadillac CTS, Infinity G35, and the Acura TL. Have test driven all three, and think I'm leaning towards the TL w/Navigation manual 6 speed. Here's my only concerns... there seems to be quite a bit of torquing to the right & left when pulling out... probably due to Front wheel drive... is this unusual? Can any of you give me any advise, as I'm hoping to land this between $33k- $33.4k... is this reasonable?
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    That price may be doable, depending on where you live. One of the main complaints of the 6-speed is the torque steer. The TL is an awesome car for the price.
  • kkftzkkftz Member Posts: 15
    I have only driven the TL Manual 6 speed (have not driven automatic)... and the only issue w/Manual was the torquing (which was quite noticeable). That said, torquing only seemed an issue in pulling out... for those that have test driven both, how do you like the automatic?

If I select the TL-manual, this may be something I just have to suck it up and live with. Has anyone driven the G35- manual? Any better??
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    The G35 is RWD or AWD, so you won't experience it.