Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    First time posting here, so I'm not sure if this has been talked about yet. Does anyone have any info, or heard any talk about what changes if any will be on the '06 TL. I just spoke with Honda about extending the lease on my '03 TL, with the hope of buying a 2006 model. I picked up my '03 in March of 2002 and I was also wondering about an early release date like they did with the '03 models. Any help will be welcome....thanks.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    We got 3+/- inches of snow in the DC area and I have a couple of issues to report on:

(1) The ABS braking system does not engage at low speeds and when it does engage, cuts off once the speed drops below about 5 mph. This is a bad design. My 1995 Maxima SE's ABS engages - and continues to function - at any speed until the car comes to a complete stop. Bringing you down to 5 mph and then having the brakes lock up, causing the car to drift sideways on icy roads, is poor engineering by Acura, IMO.

(2) My windshield washers froze up while I was returning from the Acura dealer. First the drivers side and then the passenger side as well. And the outside temperature was only 23 degrees and I had just had the washer fluid topped off at the dealership. I'll have this looked into, but was curious if anyone else has experienced this problem in cold conditions.

(3) I can attest (as point #1 might suggest) that the HPT tire package on the 6-speed is indeed a "summer" tire. The Potenza's do not handle packed snow and ice very well. I have plenty of snow experience, so I survived, but I did need to take a different way home than usual to avoid even slightly hilly streets.

P.S. fdcapt2: I am quite certain you won't see a 2006 TL until October+/- of 2005, since the 2004 & 2005 models conformed to the Acura's "standard" model year calander. I also doubt you will see any significant changes for the 2006. So unless you are getting a good deal to extend your lease, you might want to consider getting a 2005 when it's up.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    I have not noticed the ABS not engaging as you mentioned by will keep an eye out for it. I have not had any issues with the windshield washers freezing or the windshield freezing over for that matter. Are you using winter antifreeze? I would imagine that the Potenza's would be pretty interesting in snow!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I also have not noticed the ABS not engaging < 5 mph. But then I wasn't looking for it. Recently temperatures here got down to as low as -10 Celsius, which would be about 14 F, and my washers did not freeze up.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    My washers DID freeze when temp was about 14 F. I assumed that the fluid that came with the car was not rated at a low temp, and plan to keep an eye on it. I also have 6 MT w nav, and haven't noticed any problems with ABS and have driven on snow seveal times. I came back from an 800 mile trip to upstate NY and drove about 300 miles with snow on the all season Michelins that came with the car, and didn't have any problems. I have over 9000 miles in just 3 months.

By the way this question was asked a while back, but traction control does work in reverse.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

"By the way this question was asked a while back, but traction control does work in reverse."

Thanks. I was the one who asked. You read somewhere that it works, or you experienced first-hand?
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    1- I think the air conditioning display is too small and hard to read, when one is also looking out at the roads...

the car is quick and gets a lot of looks , even from the teen and 20 something crowds...which I am not a part of ....guess it is a cool car...
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    I have to back out of my uphill driveway (in NY) and the traction control comes on when snowy.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

Thanks for the reply. That's good to know 'cause I didn't think the VSA works when in reverse.
    There is a chance a friend will be unloading a pristine, 2002 X5, auto, with sport package. I know the family and I know they really really baby their cars. Not sure about the mileage but it would be low, since they hardly ever drive it to work and they don't take it on any long trips. I would have to ditch my TL plus probably ante up a few more dollars. I've always had a yearning for the X5 so I'm tempted. But so far I love my TL, so the practical side of me (is it right or left brain?) says don't do it. Why give up almost 3 model years.

Just curious as to what would you guys think about that?
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    I think you'll regret it every time you go for service or repairs (which may be often), every time you fill up at the pump and of course every time you see a TL drive by......
    "every time you see a TL drive by...... "

You might be right there, my friend, you might be right!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    VSA and traction control are two different things.. VSA may indeed turn off in reverse, while traction control is still activated..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

X5 musings...

1) What is the in-service date? '02 BMWs came with 3yr/36K maintenance included.. If that has not expired, you can buy a maintenance extension.. If they are past that date, you are out of luck..

2) If you are worried about warranty.. the original owner can buy a BMW extended warranty that mimics the CPO warranty that is included on CPO cars.. expensive, but maybe worth it.. They would have to buy it before the sale takes place..

3) Assuming you get the warranty, I wouldn't worry so much about model years.. Both cars will probably still depreciate at about the same rate from now on..

4) I would worry about the big financial hit you'll take selling your car so soon after purchase..

5) I think an updated X5 will be here for the '07 model year.. that is only 20 months away.. if that kind of thing factors into your thinking.

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

You're right on with points 4 & 5. Those considerations will likely stop me from the purchase as much as anything else. In fact, not even looking ahead to the '07 MY, the new Xdrive available now is something that I may not want to do without.
  • surfgebsurfgeb Member Posts: 24
    For NE I would definitely recommend snow tires. i just bought a set of Vredesteins for my 04 TL M/T and the difference is amazing.
  • dojadoja Member Posts: 19
    I'm not sure to which discussion group I should ask this question. A local dealer has a 2005 T/L W/NAV advertised as a 6 speed HPT. I thought 04/05 TLs only came with a 6 speed manual or 5 speed automatic. I had not heard of a 6 speed automatic. The only thing I found on the internet was the following:

"TL W/HPT package has everything that TL-S had, plus 6-speed transmission, better tires and upgraded brakes."

I haven't seen aything on this site about the 6 speed HPT. It's adverised for $200 over the MSRP of the 5 speed auto w/NAV.

Is this a 6 speed automatic? Does it have upgraded brakes? Any comments on the transmission? I know the 2000-2003 TLs had transmission problems. I'm not sure if I should take a chance on this transmission. Does anyone know about this particular version of the TL? Thank you.
    No, that's a 6-speed manual with High Performance Tire option. It comes with Brembo brakes.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    ZF makes a 6 speed automatic for RWD cars - used in the Jag S type and others. Ford uses a FWD version in the 500. Mercedes just came out with a 7 speed automatic.
    "Mercedes just came out with a 7 speed automatic."

Techological overkill, IMO. You simply don't need that many cogs, especially with big, torquey engines.
  • chadedmundschadedmunds Member Posts: 2
    Well I just bought a used '00 TL and I just found out that the BOSE CD Player in it dosent play the CD-R. I mean the CDs that I burnt myself. Is it just that way the Audio System works or is there a problem with my CD player.

Also,

As the Audio system in the car does not have an equalizer , I am planning to install a Pioneer FH-P5000MP which is an indash MP3/CD player. I am not sure whether this would fit into my car.

Can anyone reply to my questions above.

thanks in advance.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Kelley Blue Book recently picked the top ten 2005 vehicles most likely to hold their value over the first five years. The listed is as follows:

Acura TL

BMW 5-series

Infiniti G35 Coupe

Lexus GX 470

Mazda RX-8

Mercedes-Benz CLK 320 Cabriolet

MINI Cooper

Nissan 350Z

Porsche Cayenne

Volvo XC90

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=4022645&sr- c=LP%20luxury
  • sgsunnysgsunny Member Posts: 20
    Just got my 05 TL auto...loving it!! I read the manual RE: break-in (some babying in those 1st

200-600 miles..) I was curious about experiences/

thoughts fellow TL drivers have..Salesman here in

S. Florida recom the following:

NO BREAK-IN necessary; 1st oil chg at 3750, every

3750 miles thereafter; use premium fuel every 1-2

fillups, otherwise - middle of the road fuel s/b okay.

I do not want to do (or not do)anything that may

hinder performance or longevity.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I was told to break in my "04 TL by the book and to change the oil as directed by the maintenance minder. I think the maintenance minder "knows" when you need an oil change and its far longer than every 3750 miles. In fact they recommend you leave the special break in oil that comes with the car until the maintenance minder tells you to change. Also I have used only premium gas - why spend that much on a car and not treat it right?
    Thanks for your response..good point about the

premium fuel (probably not the place to count the

pennies!)
    Interesting list.. I'd have to take issue with the Mazda RX-8 and the Volvo XC-90.. If they are talking about depreciation from MSRP..

Both models had a load of dealer cash thrown at them at the end of the '04 model year.. That is the kind of thing that kills resale value for used models.... If they continue that, I don't see great resale on them..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yup, I would use premium fuel all the way.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    If you have any doubt on what fuel to use, Acura puts a label on TL's fuel cap (inside) that says: USE PREMIUM -- just to make sure you push the right button! I laughed seeing that the first time I pumped the gas for my TL. Not that I know for sure using regular will hurt the engine, but when they 'hint' you like that, there's not $ense saving pennies out of it.

On ES it just says use 86 or above, but if you want 'improved performance' use premium. TL pretty much says it requires premium w/o actually spelling it out.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    A couple of observations. If you drive 25,000 miles per year (a lot for non-business use), you will burn 1,000-1,250 gallons per year. Most premium fuel is $.20/gl higher so you will spend $200-$250 per year for premium vs. regular. This is a small price to pay to have maximum performance available at all times and to enjoy the confidence of meeting the vehicle's specifications. Secondly, Acura specs 91 octane fuel. In this part of the country, premium is 93. Another poster made the observation that he blends his fill-ups half and half with 89 and 93 to save a few pennies. Don't pay $35K for a high performance engine and cheap out on fuel.
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Today I attended one of the annual Motor Trend Auto Shows. I sat in many cars in the same price range and most all in the same class as the TL. The only car in the same class that was not present was the Infiniti G35. The TL's interior and quality of materials used was second to none. Some of the high end cars had nicer interiors, but those cars were also $10,000 - $15,000 more in price than the TL. Best of all the TL with 270 HP can smoke most of the cars in the same price range and class. Most of the cars in the same price range had HP in the 200 to 240 range. After attending this car show I felt pretty good about my decision to buy an 2005 TL.
    Thank you for your response. Very thoughtful info. And, indeed, I may be at the higher end of the mileage spectrum. Your point is well taken.

bodble2 and

igiban....thanks very much for your feedback.

I am on my 3rd TL (redondo red pearl!!) and will

be getting fuel for the 1st time tomorrow..PRE-

MIUM it is. I have always used premium... and will continue.

Appreciate the feedback regarding break-in...

thanks.
    I echo your sentiments. My new 05" TL is sitting

in the garage now... cognizant of concerns RE:

vibrations, rattling and such...So far..great!!!

Took my hands off the wheel for a bit (small bit)and no pulling, or other issues!! Love this car!!

Again, on my 3rd TL, I believe this auto does a

great job of blending luxury, price and reliability. I did like the G35..$ for $ was better pleased w/ the Acura, overall.

The rear headrests (pulled down) are somewhat intrusive to visibility

... but how about that sound system??!! The goodies in this car, IMO

are unmatchable for the $$$!!
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    BREAK - IN - There is no single MORE IMPORTANT thing you can do with your new car, regardless of what the salesman says. He doesn't care - he just wants to sell you the car. 1000 miles at <2500 rpm will give you a better running car for the life of the engine. I didn't do it a few cars ago, and had a rough running car with very poor gas mileage for the life of the lease. Just DO IT!

GAS - The car will run on lower octane fuel, as the computer will retard the timing to keep it from pinging and damaging the engine. However, retarded timing will cut power and give you poor gas mileage, so cheaper gas will actually cost you MORE PER MILE. Don't skimp.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    CD-Rs - My TL has no problem playing CD-Rs. I believe it depends on the make of the disc and the recorder that was used. Try another.

EQ - The sound system has a 3-band equalizer plus subwoofer level. It is designed very bass heavy and sound MUCH better and clearer if you reduce the BASS to -2 and the sub to -1 or -2, with the mid and hi flat (0). This brings out the upper midrange making the sound much clearer sounding. To bring the bass back, just turn up the volume! Works for all kinds of music.

Adding a different sound system will be very difficult, as this system is integrated with the console. Try it for while before you consider it. It is not a bad idea to upgrade the speakers, however.
    Thanks very much...great info!! I will heed your

caveat!! The oil change recom were interesting,

huh!!!

thanks!!
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    "How about a mute button for the radio."

It's called the on/off button.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    Can anyone recommend tires that might soften up the ride a bit?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z

If you check Tirerack.com you'll find that it gets the highest rates in its class (Grand Touring All-Season) especially in ride comfort and noise comfort, it's #1 out of 15 tires, price: $223
    How about snow performance?
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    "How about snow performance?"

Among Standard All-Season, "BFGoodrich Traction T/A T" is the best for snow traction;

Among Grand Touring All-Season, "Continental ContiPremierContact" is the best for snow traction;

If you need serious Winter tires you should try "Bridgestone Blizzak MZ-03", "Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50", "Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice", "Dunlop Winter Sport M3" or "Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2".
    Thanks for the info.

Because I want to save the costs and hassle of using 4 dedicated snow tires, I'm looking for the best all-seasons compromise.
    Does he really need Z rated tires on a TL? They come in V rated at lower cost.
    It seems there are as many opinions about break-in as there are drivers. On one of the other enthusiast boards, there are several dissertations about ring seating being the most important part of break-in with good seating created by short bursts of full throttle to create momentary high pressure conditions to force the piston rings into the cylinder walls.

I suspect the truth is, modern automobile engines are so good, it probably doesn't matter what you do or don't do. I know one thing, I couldn't stand to drive anything under 2500 rpm for 1000 miles. Never had an engine problem in 35 years of driving.
    If you've ever seen those guys load/unload the cars on/off boats/trucks/train, then you'd know that nothing you do or don't do will do anymore harm.
  • revrasrevras Member Posts: 63
    The TL has a very firm ride, thats the way the suspension is designed. Perfect for smooth, even surfaces. The car approximates a trip on Mr Toads Wild Ride at Disneyland on uneven surfaces. Changing tires will not alter the combo of a firm suspension and firm seating areas. If Acura is smart, the next TL will be offered with an adjustable suspension. Right now the combination of firm ride, firm seats and vibrations that are also inherent in the ride make it a very interesting ride in the 33k class in which it sells, now if fast acceleration and a great stereo cancel out these negatives, the TL is the car for you. Also before you buy check out visibility from the drivers seat, I have heard many complaints re poor rear and side visibility due to the high c pillars. But in summary, the ride on this car is firm, tires might slightly modify it but not much.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    On my '04 TL I found that changing the tires did make a difference in the ride of the car. It is still firm but not as jarring. It made enough of a difference so that I no longer find the ride uncomfortable.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    1).Make the TL SH-AWD

2).Put the turn signals on the door mirror(like the TSX)

3).Move the Fog lights back down below the head lights

4).Integrate some color in the tail lights

5)Make the wood grain steering wheel standard.

When all these are done, then I will unload my 2003 TLS.

I am still waiting to race a 04/05 AT- I really want to see if 10 more HP makes a difference.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    All I can tell you is when they build a Lincoln LS at Wixom they put it on rollers, put it in gear and FLOOR IT. I don't think modern engines require any specific break-in other than it's a good idea to vary the RPMs.
  • dieterdieter Member Posts: 8
    I agree. I have never had any type of engine problems in 45 years of driving. Short bursts of full throttle, vary the type of driving and engine RPM if possible, avoid stressing anything mechanical on your car until it breaks in properly (500-2000 miles), change the oil & filter as recommended by the manufacturer. Use quality oils and fuel, and enjoy the car.

P.S.

I almost bought a TL, but at the last minute got the 2005 G35X. Both cars are great, it boils down to just making a choice. I will never know which car would have been my favorite, unless I owned both for a period of time.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    Agreed on 2, 3, and 5. SH-AWD'd be nice but it'd not be free. How much are you willing to pay for such option if available?

On wood steering wheel. Somehow I don't think wood wheel looks that much better on sporty looking car like TL. It's good on Lexus because theirs are all on the luxo/elegant side w/o very limited sporty flavor. Black leather steering wheel like the one in TL looks more modern and sporty actually, and I am one who like the wood wheel on ES. They both fit their interior theme nicely.