Ford Windstar

Comments

• jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    I don't have a service manual yet for my 2001, but the coolant flush looks like a pita with the remote fill/degasser bottle setup that these vans have. You can siphon/pump out about a gallon of coolant at a time tru the bottle & replenesh as necessary. It looks like there is a radiator drain at the lower left corner of the radiator. For the tranny, I was able to pump out about 7qts thru the dipstick tube. This freshens up the ATF nicely, but obviously not as good as a full flush. I used 3/8" vinyl tubing (the white stiffer tubing, not the clear vinyl) and attached it to a hand pump. You can push the tubing all the way to the bottom of the tranny pan thru the ATF dipstick tube. It's really important to keep fresh ATF in the AX4S and AX4N trannys since they run so hot. Also get a ATF pan drop & filter change every 30Kmi. As far as fuel system cleaners go. The best you can get over the counter is chevron techron concentate (make sure it's the "concentrate"). Run a 20oz bottle in a full tank a few times a year- about $9/bottle at target/wally/autozone.
    G/luck!
    Joel
  • bobputbobput Member Posts: 22
    My 96 Windstar LX has the interior lights come on randomly for no apparent reason while sitting in the driveway--and the "door ajar" light/gong usually stay on, even tho everying is securly closed--fortunately, a timer must turn them off 30-40 secs after you shift into drive. Is there any easy fix to disconnect JUST the sensor circuit--pulling the fuse may have disabled the power window switches too which isn't great.
  • jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    Generously spray out all the door latch mechanisms with WD40 or similar. You have a switch sticking in one of the doors.
    G/luck
    Joel
  • 29112911 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 95 ford windstar, I saw on a website a possible solution. It said to spray all the doors with WD40. SPRAY the CRAP out of them! ALL the doors. Go around, spray again and open and close them over and over again. After a while I noticed the interior light had gone off and the door ajar light was off too! I could not believe that that was all it took. Try the WD40 and REALLY spray it alot. GOOD LUCK!
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Is no one interested in the Windstar any longer? When did Ford stop building the Windstar?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Ford Freestar is taking over; this discussion is turning into more of a problems one.

Steve, Host
  • robchemistrobchemist Member Posts: 37
    We have a 1996 Windstar with the standard third row seat - i.e., no headrests. I was wondering if anyone knew if one can get a replacement third seat that has headrests. Our kids are growing up, and we will need to eventually place them in this third row and would like them to have the (slight) extra protection of the headrests. Thanks.

Robchemist
  • mtnman1971mtnman1971 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard of a 1999 Windstar with power door locks not having a remote entry system. It seems so far that I must own the only one. The dealer I frequent tells me the van is not equipt with a remote entry system however recent events dealing with a 2004 Ford Escape resulting in my 2005 Nissan Frontier purchase has me questioning that. Does anyone know how i can verify if the receiver for keyless is there or not?
  • ckuczckucz Member Posts: 1
    Ford Windstar 1998: I am losing antifreeze from overflow and can't seem to trace it to a hose. We believe it may be a water pump as it loud. Can anyone tell me if this could be the issue and what approximate cost for replacement thru dealer would be. Any ideas, answers or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    ckucz
  • mssweetcee29mssweetcee29 Member Posts: 1
    hi,
    I just brought this 96 ford windstar van and im having the same problem. Did you ever figure out what was wrong w/your? or what did u do... ITs working my nerves that the lights stays on for a long time. Thanks Carla
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    You might find the answer to your question more quickly by posting your question in the Ford Windstar Problems discussion.

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• lukeclukec Member Posts: 3
    A friend gave my wife this vehicle. It has 131000 miles on it. He bought it new.
    Last month It ran hot & developed a bottom eng noise. It does not smoke. I checked the oil & it is ok with no water mixed in the oil.
    I had a very very good mechanic friend look & listen & drive approx 8 blocks .
    He told me he was fairly sure it was the rod bearings, but would not really know the problem till he removed the bottom oil pan.
    I then drove it home(approx 1/2 to 3/4 miles) with no further problems.
    Other wise the mini van is in near perfect condition.
    Can any one please tell me approx what the needed rod bearing parts would cost?
    Plus what the estimated labor cost would be? :sick:
  • chattenchatten Member Posts: 1
    anyone know why the engine light keeps coming on and going off for no apparent reason???..the only code coming up is #1518..my mechanic keeps trying to get that light off and stay off to no avail..it's a 2000 windstar with 72,000 miles and i just had a transmission rebuilt which stilll didn't get the light to stay off
    You might also want to post your question in the Ford Windstar Problems discussion to see if the folks there have any answers.

Claire

Need help getting around? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• karlssonkarlsson Member Posts: 1
    I see many different suggestions of which minivan you should by and the different problems of them. When you by a car you'll know that something WILL happen with the car after a couple of years. Which one have cheapest spare-parts? Which one are cheapest to own and which one are the most reliable. I live in Sweden and we have a lot of Grand Voyagers you can almost see them everywhere, so it have to be popular. Would anyone please convince me of which one I should buy!!!
    :confuse:
    The fuel consumption is very important, because 1 liter of premium gasoline costs 11 SEK = 1,62 $.
    By the way I have 5 children between 15 and 1 years of age so the the safety is quite important.
    Grateful for answer ASAP
  • pburttpburtt Member Posts: 1
    I have a Ford Windstar 2000, and have a funny noise coming from the engine. Took it to my mechanic who thinks it's the rod bearings, but he says the noise was coming from the top of the engine. He also says that "these cars are notorious for this kind problem" (I don't know if he means Fords in general or Windstars). I was told it can be $2,000 to $3,000! Anyone else have this problem? What causes this problem?
  • selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Check your intake manifold.
    Welcome, rob35! This discussion is about the features, attributes, etc. of the Ford Windstar, so I've moved your question to the Ford Windstar Problems discussion, where you might get an answer more quickly. If you click on the link below, you can check your post to see if you've gotten any answers.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ee93e1c/1732

ClaireS

• alexwagalexwag Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I´m Alex from Germany, I´ve got a 1995 Ford Windstar (3.0 l) and I´m looking for a replacement part, it´s called "servo pump" and it´s for the servo steering. The part number is: F58C3A674AARM and the Part-ID is HBCLC (it´s written on the pump). So if anyone knows where to buy or order this part, please let me know. I tried almost every spare part or replacement dealer in the web, but no chance to get it.
    Thank you in advance for your help and please excuse my bad English.

Greetings from Germany

Alex
    The Ford Dealer in Germany can get the part, but it will cost you an arm and a leg.

I would make contact with a US based dealer and have them ship the part to you.

Another option would be to contact someone assigned with the US military in Germany, they may be able to get the part through AAFES.

Good Luck
    Welcome to the Forums, madzen! This Forum is for discussing the features, attributes, etc. of the Windstar, so your post has been moved to the Ford Windstar Problems discussion, where there may be others who've had the same problem. To see if you've received any replies, just click the link above.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

• dchalkdchalk Member Posts: 3
    I can open door manually but not with overhead button or FOB. Once DS sliding door is open, I can close with FOB or overhead button. PS slider works fine.

Any suggestions or cures?
  • problemfreeproblemfree Member Posts: 1
    my 2003 with 45000 on has never had a problem,iv done all required maint at dealer,is no one else???
  • busydad62busydad62 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 Windstar Limited. All the door locks seemed to be working (either with the key, or keyless entry pad) until last night, when I tried to use the keycode entry system. As soon as I entered the factory code the two front locks stopped working. I can unlock the drivers side with the key, but passenger's side must be opened from inside the vehicle. All other doors unlock when I press the 3/4 key. Is there a way to reset this, or is something broken?
  • gordo1gordo1 Member Posts: 4
    I too have a 98 Ford Windstar and have had the usual problems with the power steering.

The latest problem that I have is that at 60 Km per hour (about 40 mph) I get this strange whining sound coming from the rear left (as far as I can tell). This only happens at 60 not before or after. What could this be? It also is happening in my dad's too, but he has fewer kilometres on his.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    my 2003 with 45000 on has never had a problem,iv done all required maint at dealer,is no one else???

We had almost no problems with our 1997, so I used to say the same sort of thing... until this summer when I was told that the intake and timing cover gaskets are leaking. Repair cost would be about $1700 at the dealer. I have gotten other estimates as low as about $1300.

I am following the advice of one of the mechanics I went to for an estimate. He said just add a quart of oil and drive it with the leaks (I have not actually had to add oil, so the leaks must not be too bad). He referred to the 3.8L engine as a "sieve".
  • kdog1962kdog1962 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1996 Windstar GL with the same problem. Im driving down the highway at 70mph and all of the sudden the engine stops. If you try to restart the car immediately it will not start. ,but if you let it sit for a while it will start right up. Did the fuel pump you changed fix your problem?
    Hi, kdog1962,

If you post your question in the Ford Windstar Problems discussion, you might get answers from members who have had the same problem you're having. Good luck :-)

• kdog1962kdog1962 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks
  • fizzyhairfizzyhair Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone think I should trade my 2000 Windstar with 58000 miles before my extended warranty runs out in September? The reason I am asking is because of the Employee Pricing right now. I don't want to replace the transmission any time soon. Should I? :confuse:

Thanks
  • miller13miller13 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '95 Windstar 3.8L that has a what sounds like a bad rod bearing. I would like to replace the engine with a used one. Can anyone tell me if this engine interchanges with any other makes or models and years? I talked to someone that said it was a "ONE YEAR WONDER". I'm not sure what that means.
  • decoplagedecoplage Member Posts: 2
    get rid of any Ford vehicle you may have. I have a 98 windstar and paid over 28K for it. replaced transmission at 50,000, the rack and pinion at 48,000 miles and rack and pinion once more at 69,000 miles. GET RID OF IT ! and buy any japanese vehicle.
  • decoplagedecoplage Member Posts: 2
    Hello Alex,

I am sorry you have a FORD... we Americans still haven't figured out how the Japanese get to make much better cars. FORD make crapy cars... if I were you I would fix the steering (I just replaced the whole rack and pinion system and bought the part myself for $108). The lasbor to replace it was $230. Take my advice: get ride of your Windstar and buy a japanese car.

Regards,

Nour
  • kimmysonkimmyson Member Posts: 2
    Hey, what the hell is wrong with Fords? My mom has a 98 windstar w/ 138,000 miles on it and has no problems with it other than the check-engine light, she does 90 mph. on all the highways too. :-)

By the way the fastest factory reproduced car is a Ford, (new ford gt) stock it does 212 mph. :)

p.s. Never buy a Honda civic....worst cars ever made(too many of them, they should all die)
  • hbarretthbarrett Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have the procedure for changing the engine air filter?
  • jim84jim84 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Windstar LX van. Lately since the weather is getting chilly I turned on the heater the other day and the blower continued to blow cold air. I changed the thermostat and it still continues to blow cold air. I've bee told there is either a vacuum valve or an electric valve that is not opening causing this, or maybe a fuse. Could someone give me some information?
  • fabdulfabdul Member Posts: 5
    I have a 98 windstar that has a ABS light on and when ever i turn it shuts off. Please help??? 404-428-1874
  • denny3denny3 Member Posts: 1
    when I come to stop , to make aleft or right turn ,my 98 windstar ,seams to have apower surge and will leap forward , nearly causes a accident . this has happen several times the ford dealer hasn't seen this before
  • riprapriprap Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I have a 99 Windstar SE (3.8L) with an ongoing list of problems. CEL on with P0171, P0174 codes. Passenger side power sliding door will open by power, but must be closed manually, rear heat & a/c intermittent at best. When engaged, traction control growls like a mountain lion.

Looking at the threads, these items win nothing for originality. However, here's one that might. Occasionally, all the gauge needles will start whipping back & forth, pegging to left & right, top & bottom. All gauges - speedo, tach, fuel, & temp all do it at the same time. Might go on just a few seconds, or a few minutes. Might happen several times a day, or once every few days. Any ideas? Kinda spooky. Considering calling a priest for an exorcism.
    Check you brake system's master cylinder to see if it is leaking onto electrical wires.
  • windstarmarcowindstarmarco Member Posts: 6
    Get your Windstar to a dealer. There is a TSB on the "P0171, P0174" issue . Have a look here
  • fordnutjmfordnutjm Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 98 Windstar and it doesnt have a keyless remote. Does all 98 Windstars have a keyless remote, or was it an option? If it was, how do I know if mine has one? Also, to have a spare key made, do I need a special type key?
    Jeff.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Not sure about '98s, but on my 1997 it looks like keyless remote entry was a stand alone option.

Maybe Ford and/or Ford dealer can find out if yours had it based on the VIN???

I have had key made at hardware store for my 1997, there was nothing special about it.
  • manofmanyfacesmanofmanyfaces Member Posts: 1
    Our Windstar was in an accident and had repair to the left front.. Now the horn doesn't work. I've checked the fuse - it's OK. I heard of a relay by the drivers left foot, but haven't found it yet. Honestly I think it's not plugged in but I can't find the horn! Could someone tell me where it's supposed to be, maybe they forgot to put it back!! :mad:
  • rolinxrolinx Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Windstar LX that did the same thing before the speedometer finally quit working. At the time it quit working, my son had borrowed it for a trip and I told him to take it to the nearest Ford dealer and tell them to fix it. When I went to pick it up they had replaced the instrument module, which they said was the only way to fix the speedometer, and the bill was $609.89. I had to pay for it because I had not asked for an estimate, etc.. Hope you have better luck.
  • jnojno Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?
  • mamabear5mamabear5 Member Posts: 2
    hey.. great to find this site.. question about the tansmission on a 96 ford windstar.. bought it used about 5 years ago.. nothing but headaches from the engine lite going on to the brake line rotting out to the airconditioner never working electrical screwed up.. anyways the transmission starting not kicking in when i started to go after a stop lite.. i would press on the gas the car would move reall slow.. the engine would rev hugely then it would catch and i would be a rocket.. had a transmission change of the fluid.. no good.. is it worth putting a new or used one in or is it good for planting flowers... have parked it for six monthis with new tired new brakes and rotors new everyting but the tranny... help...
  • mamabear5mamabear5 Member Posts: 2
    no not yet.. been looking at the other threads about the transmission..looks like maybe not that but every other sensor or something... ive now been told that now that i have sat it since april when i drove it acrosse town the brakes were grinding... god what next.. looks great.. no rust but im thinking a for sale sign is going on but dont know how much to ask... thank god ive got off the ford train..gmc is for me....
  • coolcoyotescoolcoyotes Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem here. Looking forward to some comments :)
  • jonicajonica Member Posts: 1
    How do I know if my 99 Windstar has a rack and pinion problem?