Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• xrunner2xrunner2 Member Posts: 3,062
    However, being a life-long New Englander, skier and snow driver my first plan is to stick with the Bridgestones until their natural tread life is over.

Last winter was my first with the TL/Turanza's and they are probably the poorest tires in the snow that I can remember.

Might want to check out Tirerack.com. They have a lot of info on winter tires. They did a test on ice with 2 types of Bridgestone winter tires, Bridgestone Turanza all-season EL400, and a Bridgestone summer tire. Their test has narative and data and easily confirm that winter tires provide substantial extra traction over all-season tires. Summer tires, of course, should not be on a car in winter at all. Got caught once with summer Pirellis on a 98 Accord V6 in an early season snow and it was ugly. Wife has 4 Dunlop winters on her 04 TL.
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Has anyone with a '04-'06 w/ quartz or ebony interior had the wood trim option installed. If so, could you tell me what items are actually covered in wood. I was talking to a dealer and he said that the shifter console and rear passenger heater duct are covered ( which is fine with me ...minimal is tasteful ).

I would like to get the wood trim option along with the wood trim steering wheel and shifter knob.

Also, does the wood trim seem to hold up well ??
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I can't exactly reply to your full question b/c even though I have wood trim, it's in an '04 model, and you're apparently referring to an '06 option that wasn't available before. Regardless, my wood trim (which is fake wood - aka plastic) has held up well. No noticeable scratches and easily wiped clean.

As far as items that are coverred in wood, I would guess that whatever would otherwise be coverred in the fake carbon fiber would, instead, be of wood.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    You probably shouldn’t be doing full throttle on an engine that is not warmed up and that is only one month old.
  • vtxmikvtxmik Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info :) . I'm planning to do a search on the list you send me and pick one. No more Armorall wipes.
  • freeaxesfreeaxes Member Posts: 4
    Anyone tried swapping the head restraints from the '06 RL into an '06 TL?

I found the RL's headrests to be vastly superior to the TL's when sitting in the RL at the dealer, but I'm not sure if one would fit in the other...
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Even if they fit, would you get a good match in terms of color and material with the rest of the seats?
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    How were they superior?
    In terms of matching, I think as long as you got matching leather colors you'd be fine, but who can say for sure. I've got a black interior, so I can't see it being a big deal.

In terms of comfort (I tried to do some nice ASCII art, but the formatting of this forum screwed it all up), the headrests in the TL tilt forward as one piece like this: \

So they actually push forward on the top of your head.

The RL headrests actuall split in half from the bottom to open line a clam shell like this: /|

So they really cradle your head in a more comfortable way
    Another question: does anyone know of a way to hook up an standard aux input for normal MP3 players, instead of just using that Ipod interface that acura is doing?

I went to the local Car Toys, and they said that since it's the 06 model, they don't know anything about it yet, and don't know what works and what doesn't. They said that if I can find something online that claims to do the trick, they'll gladly do the install for me, but they just don't have any info on what changes may have been made between the 05 and 06 models.
  • invasianinvasian Member Posts: 19
    I noticed that Honda/Acura redesigns their vehicles every 4 yrs or so?
    Honda Accord style was 98-02,
    Acura TL style was 99-03

Any reports out of a redesign for the TL?
  • djprincedesidjprincedesi Member Posts: 2
    i was just wondering what other features come with the Tl from the States that the Canadian Version doesnt have?
    :confuse:
    I checked at the dealer, and it's a no go. The bars on the RL headrest are a different distance apart than in the TL.
  • maxzoey1maxzoey1 Member Posts: 34
    satellite radio for sure,It would have been nice if they had included satellite radio in Canada.
  • bplayerbplayer Member Posts: 56
    US has fog lights, while Canadian has daytime running lights (DRL).

Canadian also has low washer fluid warning and larger washer fluid container.
  • wymanwyman Member Posts: 13
    There are different color choices in US vs Canada. Canada typically gets fewer color choices but is the only place to get Carbon Bronze Pearl.
  • starman98starman98 Member Posts: 119
    I would not expect one anytime soon maybe 2009. The Acura MDX and RSX need a redesign first as both models are showing their age.
  • strokeoluck1strokeoluck1 Member Posts: 37
    All, I read a lot about what kind of tires to purchase for winter. I've left the standard factory tires on for my first winter in the Acura. I live in southeastern Michigan where we've already received a good foot of snow before the end of December. I drive on a couple country roads on my way to/from work, as well as about a mile of dirt road (I think the plows forget about it most days). So far the car has handled just fine in the snow. I find that popping it into the manual transmission mode helps a great deal. I was all set to drop $700 - $1,000 on tires/rims but I'm going to stick with the stock tires.

- Rob
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Rob, what kind of mpg are you getting with the TL? It is auto trans, right?
    Is there a way to change the sound to the DVD surround sound? I would like to hear XM Radio in this but I can't find how to do it.
  • tlsharktlshark Member Posts: 21
    i think we do have the xm radio. the papers that the salesman gave me said something about the xm feat and that it only free for 2 months.
    ive noticed that they get so much more colors. i wish they gave us a better variety too!! is there anything else?
    i totally agree the those 2 models are so played out now. i think they said the rsx will be replaced with a new model car. if true cant wait to see that car!
    I'm afraid I don't know what sort of mileage I'm getting. I suppose I could look in the various trip details...but I never do. I fill it up with gas, then drive, then fill it up again when it needs it. :-) Hate to sound so simple but I've just never concerned myself w/the cost of gas, particularly when driving a $30,000 car that I absolutely love. In fact there are some days when I go 100 mph in the TL and take advantage of it's cornering abilities (not in the snow of course!) and then look down to see I've used up a bit of gas. The only thought that comes to mind is...MAN, that was well worth it!

By the way, I DID get stuck in snow tonight! But it was my own fault and I think most non-four-wheel-drive vehicles would have been stuck in my predicament. I was driving too slow, talking on the cell phone and turning a corner on a country road that hadn't been plowed and I hit about 10-12" of messy snow going very slow and uphill. Bam...stopped dead. I backed her up and ran through it the next time - AFTER I put the phone down.

- Rob
    I don't understand your question. Both the DVD/CD player and XM play out of the same speakers. DVD music discs sound deeper and richer b/c there's more there.
  • clipper1clipper1 Member Posts: 70
    Not that I would... but.... before ordering my '06 TL ... more than one salesperson said the car runs well on regular.

Any inputs? Or bad experiences?
  • jwatsjwats Member Posts: 72
    I am looking at a '98 TL with 98,000 miles and a fastidious owner--who has not driven the car in winter ( an important factor in Minnesota) and majority of miles are highway. Service records exist, always synthetic, but I am having a thorough pre-purchase inspection done by a local acura independent garage who says these are very durable cars and often go 200,000 miles. I think I can buy the car for about $7,500.

I welcome any insights

1. can I expect another 50,000 relatively troube free miles? What is realistic? I drive gently with a car of this kind
    2. are there any known defects?
    3. any particular inspection questions?

thanks
    John
    Does this vehicle have the 4-speed auto or 5-speed auto?
  • jwatsjwats Member Posts: 72
    3.2 200 HP with 4 speed
    OK, that is good because Acura had some major problems with the 5-speed auto.
  • robertash100robertash100 Member Posts: 5
    Acura recommends Premium (91 Octain). 93 Octain is a little over kill. However, the VTEC engine is designed with Octain sensors, so it will work with Regular gas at a slight loss of performance. Regular gas will NOT harm the engine.
    Regards,
    Robert
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    clipper,

If you do a search on this or some of the other TL forums on edmunds, you will find extensive conversations in regards to your question.
    In short, sure you can put regular in your TL. However, be advised:
    (1) Would you really want to use regular gas in your 35k performance sedan to save a couple of bucks at the pump?
    (2) You will get less gas mileage by using regular gas.
    (3) Acura recommends using premium, why do something other than what the manufacturer recommends?
    (4) Do you want to give up performance?

Hope this helps. ;)
    >>Not that I would... but.... <<

Don't take this the wrong way, but with an opening statement like that, why are you asking?

I own a '05 TL and the salesperson (who seems very knowledgeable) told me they run just fine on regular gas. He said this AFTER I signed the paperwork so I don't think he had any reason to lie to me. I'm not a student of this topic but from what I remember reading on this board Acura at one time said you should use premium gas, then later (or earlier?) said you could use regular gas...all while referring to the same engine.

I've used regular gas since day one and have not noticed any issues. Is my gas mileage suffering? I don't know. Is performance suffering? If it is, I'm not aware of it - I love the performance of the car.

- Rob
  • phenom61phenom61 Member Posts: 1
    The first thing I would ask is if the Timing Chain has been replaced. That's about a $900.00 replacement and is not optional after 90k miles. ALso, pay close attention to the Transmission. Make sure there isnt a noticeable lag when you jump on it. I had to replace mine at 100k (Acura agreed to install a new one for 950.00 since I had such a good service record.) Other then that it sounds like a very good used car and your doing the right thing by getting it checked out by certified garage. As a current owner of a 96 TL with 154,000 miles on it, I can vouch for the durability of these cars. You should easily get another 50k.
  • agbasheragbasher Member Posts: 18
    I cannot tell from either the brochure or website.

Thanks.
    The '04 does - I can't see Acura getting rid of it in a future year.
  • maxzoey1maxzoey1 Member Posts: 34
    Yes it does have a trip computer
  • rambo5rambo5 Member Posts: 37
    Any news on the above dealer installed Ipod adapter? Has anyone taken the plunge?
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Yes, the TL does have what they call a trip computer - but it's more like a 1980's Commodore than an 2005 Power Mac.

You can scroll though a couple of items on a small trip display screen on the right side of the guage cluster and get either average trip MPG or remaining range, but not both. And, as I recall, you lose the trip odometer display and outside temperature display when you are in the 'trip computer" mode.

The MDX has a better trip computer, with both instant and average mileage, remaining range, outside temperature, etc. all diplayed on the navigation screen. Unfortunately, then you lose the navigation map (but not voice directions).

But, just to put things in perspective, there is no Honda/Acura product that I would recommend more highly than our old S2000, and it had no such "gizmos" whatsoever. Nor climate control, power seats, heated seats, Bluetooth phone, DVD audio,.... But it was a blast to drive and the best built model in the entire line-up. :)
  • acurainsdracurainsdr Member Posts: 3
    All 2004 - present Acura TL's came equipped with XM radio standard. As an ongoing agreement between XM radio, customers who purchase vehicles equipped w/ XM will get 3 mths trial period absolutely FREE!!! That way you may sample all programs they have to offer. After that, you may opt for a month to month subscription, a 1 yr subscription and a 2 yr subscription. Or, you may opt not to renew your subscription. I guarantee you will find something you like and will love the XM radio!!!
    I used to work for Acura...you TL has the DVD surround sound in all modes. There are no "toggle" switches, or menu changes on your stereo unit to change this. The car head unit already does this automatically.
    When Honda came out w/ their V-tec technology in the late 80's early 90's, it was supposedly the most technologically advanced and revolutionary engine management/performance system of that time. The V-tec name has become synonymous with the Honda/Acura product. Keep in mind, that when a sales person tells you something, they are telling you what you want to hear. Not all sales persons are knowledgeable. Remember, you are paying their income, and they will do whatever it takes to survive.
    As much as the manufacturer recommends premium fuel, it's for a good reason. Due to the relatively high compression in the engine, they recommend a higher grade fuel so as to compensate for the higher level of combustion. Trust me, it makes a world of difference...You can use regular fuel, however, over a period of time (say 20K miles) you will notice the vehicle is sluggish (especially in auto equipped cars). Regular fuel won't damage engine internals (Acuras come equipped w/ "knock sensors" to compensate for lower fuel grades), however, the car will be robbed of it's performance capabilities, and not run quite as smoothly (you will sometimes notice your vehicle sounds like a diesel engine when you start it up on a cold day or if sitting for a while).
    I am not saying you MUST use premium, but for emissions, performance and reliability, I would.... ;)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,674
    Just an observation re: XM. My salesman told me not to renew the XM at the first renewal offer. If you wait, you will get offered special deals. He was right. I don't remember the exact $ numbers, but I believe I got at least two post-trial period offers at a significantly lower monthly $ than the standard offer. Of course, YMMV.

I did not renew and don't miss it. I'm sure it's wonderful for those that travel a lot in their cars, but with 18 radio presets, 6 cds and cassette I'm good.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    Don't tell XM but I'd pay more than they charge for it. I love it!
  • uhuh1uhuh1 Member Posts: 18
    My issue is that I wonder navigation on '03 TL Type-S does tell me what to do like 'making left turn at 0.3mile ahead with its voice. Does this model have function of helping me with its own voice?

I just visited a dealershop to but a used '03 TL Type-S with Navigation/Onstar. But a salesperson told me that Navigation system of this model doesn't tell me how to get to a place with its voice. It is so weird. If it can't let me know the direction with its voice, I can't understand that why it is called navigation system. She told me that I can just refer to the point where I stands and I can refer to the direction with my eyes. I think there was some misunderstanding between her and me. Can you let me know? Thank you.
    I have had my 06 TL a week and loving it but one thing the gas milage is terrible. So far I average 13 miles a gallon.

This is my first "new" car after owning a string of slightly used cars.

Will my gas milage improve after the break in period? I am still on my first tank of gas from when I bought it.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    TL has really crappy gas mileage for pure city driving. Also, your engine is brand new, so it is very green, and you are no doubt driving slower than normal because it is a new car, and most new car owners tend to baby their cars for the first while. I think all of the above may explain the low mileage you are getting.
  • streetsterstreetster Member Posts: 23
    Man.....You are sooooo right

The S2000 is by far the best car in the current Honda lineup. Its not at all complicated with excessive features. It is just simply superb. It is also a blast to drive like you said. Just push the engine start button and you'll know. Along with all this, it is carefully built using the best leathers and plastics in the interior. They are all fit together nice and tight. It is also very reliable. Returns the best fuel mileage in its class, and in case you dont know it boasts the world's most powerful naturally aspirated engine (in terms of BHP/LITRE). It is not just me who says that, it is everyone in the world. For example, check out TopGear's site http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/survey/top_10.shtml
    and
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/survey/category.shtml
    ">
    i think its okay to have the xm radio feature because it an extra add-on to a wonderful car! But really is it that neccessary? The car comes with the dvd-a feature and that hold hours of songs at excellent quality. with a cd or dvd audio disc u never have to pay for songs...just burn away!!!!

There no doubt about it that i will use the free trial period but once thats done that will be all for me!!!

what do u guys think?
    i think the s2000 is an amazing car. i think though now its time to give it a total make over with a lil not to much computer features...what do u think?