Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    That sounds like typical mpg. Try pure urban driving...then you'd see the mpg drop even more. :cry:
  • dap2006dap2006 Member Posts: 68
    I have 3900 miles on my '06. It's almost all urban driving and I like to punch it from time to time - I get 19 mpg. On the highway I get 28 - 29 mpg. Excellent as far as I'm concerned... :)
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I find the fog lights useful in rural driving, especially when there are tree lines near the road. I can see the furry woodland creatures musch sooner with the fog lights on.

But I wish they would put the fog lights where they belong, low and near the sides. :mad: It is such a kick-[non-permissible content removed] look.
  • murkymurky Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have any idea when they will redesign the current body style of the TL? I am looking to purchase a TL soon, but was wondering how much longer they will keep the current body style. Could it possibly be with the 2008 model?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The 2004 was a redesign. Prior redesign was 1999.
  • murkymurky Member Posts: 9
    So I'm assuming they will redesign the 2009 model.

If I were to sell a 2006 model in 2009 (after the new body style were released), will it affect my resale value?
  • jrourkejrourke Member Posts: 72
    But I wish they would put the fog lights where they belong, low and near the sides. It is such a kick-[non-permissible content removed] look.

I agree it's a more attractive sporty look. Oh well...I was afraid they may not work as well because they weren't in the traditional low to ground location. THanks
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    I am going to bet that Acura is going to move them back down when they refresh the car either this year or next.
  • emlawemlaw Member Posts: 3
    Is there any way to program out that chime that sounds when you exit the TL with the headlights in the "on" setting? Gosh, that's irritating.
    The only way is to turn the switch to "off", or close the door really quickly. :P

Actually I think Honda got confused. They should have used the lights-on chime for the keyless remote lock confirmation beep, which is barely audible, unless you got your ear against the front fender! :sick:
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    yeah, that's one persistent "glitch" that they really need to fix...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds.com Forums may not be used for buying or selling anything - a couple of posts have been removed.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    looking to maybe buy a 2006 TL. does it really not have automatic heeadlamps? this seems very odd, no?
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    You can leave them on all the time and they will turn off when you leave the car, but they do indeed not turn on automatically at night.

The real annoying thing is the alarm/chime when you leave the car with the lights on, telling you that they're on...even though they turn off by themselves...
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    so basically in a $35k car, you have to turn the lights on manually? yet they spent the money to put in the chime and switch to turn the lights off automatically?

honda is usually better than this. somehow they missed the boat on this one.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    so basically in a $35k car, you have to turn the lights on manually

What's so hard about turning on the headlights?

Plus the car is $31-$32K. But you can pay $35K.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    you have to turn the lights on manually

Technically, you can leave them on all the time.

I'm not sure this is the reason, but I heard that Honda purposely didn't do that to avoid the problem of drivers not turning their lights on when they need them, whether it be during a sunshower or whatever. My source might be giving Honda too much credit :P
    I doubt that's the real reason. That's likely from some dealer's spin department! My take on it is that it has to do with Honda's corporate philosophy, or mission statement, if you will. Honda was, and is, first and foremost, an engine company. If you look back at their history, they are often innovators in engineering features, whether it's the original CVCC engine, or the i-Vtec, or 4W-steering, or ATTS, or SH-AWD, etc. But they have consistently lagged behind the competition in terms of implementing luxury items and other creature-comfort amenities into their models. And automatic headlights fall into the latter category. Toyota's had them for years in the mass-market Camry. But you'd have to go all the way up to the RL to get that in a Honda model. Look at the luxury features in the Lexus LS. It'll take years before you'd see that stuff in a Honda or Acura model.
  • mvc_jonesmvc_jones Member Posts: 88
    Interesting read on Honda/Acura and technology/luxury, as I always thought their use of Bluetooth, well-designed NAV, voice activation, well planned coordination in the 2004+ TL of NAV with basic car functions, and other features were generally ahead of the competition in terms of technology/luxury compared to others at the same time in the same price range.... Don't most people laud the TL for its long list of features? Agree about the absence of auto-headlights, but seems like a small omission compared to other standard TL equipment...
  • emlawemlaw Member Posts: 3
    Hey, let's not lose the main point here; the TL DOES HAVE auto-headlights. The annoying part is that even when the auto-headlight feature is activated, and the headlights will automatically turn off in 15 seconds (or whatever), the chime STILL SOUNDS as if you've forgotten something. Same thing when you open the door to get in. I don't think there is any other car with the auto-headlight feature that is programmed that way. My hope is that they will let dealers know how to cut or disconnect a wire to shut it up.
    I think when most people refer to auto-headlights, they are NOT referring ONLY to the headlights that turn off once you leave the car. Many other vehicles also have a sensor feature that will automatically turn the headlights on and off depending on the lighting conditions. That's one thing I would also like to see on this car.
    The TL DOES NOT have auto headlights in my book. You have to turn the switch to ON and leave it in ON. This results in a warning that your headlights are on. It is more of an auto shutoff system that is intended as a failsafe for those who forget to turn their headlights off, so they do not drain the battery.

Auto headlights should sense the light conditions using a photocell or similar to turn the lights on and off based on lighting conditions, with no effort by the user. There should also be a user override for conditions when the lights need to be on.

If the TL system is to be considered auto on headlights, it is a very poor system. It does not qualify as legitimate Auto On headlights in my book, either it is a very poor implementation, an oversight, or the system is not coordinated to work properly/was not thought through.

However, it is not a terribly important feature for me.
    I think the TL may be an exception in the general (Honda) scheme of things. Even then...there could be debate....did they pioneer Nav? They didn't invent Bluetooth. But generally speaking, Honda has not been a leader in luxury.
    "However, it is not a terribly important feature for me."

It's one of those features that you won't miss...until you've had it...just like memory power seats, keyless entry, auto up/down for power windows, power trunk/hatch, etc.

A rental-fleet special like the Chevy Cobalt has auto-headlights. I don't think it's too much to ask for the TL to have it.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I can't think of a single time where I didn't think to turn on my headlamps when it was getting dark. Sure it would be OK to have, but hardly an issue. Kinda like rain-sensing wipers than turn themselves on. My TL has that. When I sense rain, I turn the wipers on.
    I had a '98 Pontiac Grand Prix with auto headlights. I do miss that feature. For the first several months owning my TL, I was forgetting to turn the headlights on. Combine that with a dashboard that is always lit, and I did drive in lit (by streetlight) areas without lights for several miles. Of course when I got into dark areas OR somebody blinked me, I would figure it out. I'm used to it now.

I do not consider what the TL has for lights to be auto anything.

There a few peculiarities about the TL that I find annoying (or not well thought out). The trip computer is not user friendly (always having to hit the select button to re-enter it), having the miles to empty on a different screen (two buttons to get to it). :confuse:

The seat heaters are WEAK. My '98 Grand Prix heated up much faster and didn't need to be switched from high to low (so my buns don't get roasted) :blush:

I like the controls for the air and radio (non-navi) though.
    Well....I roll down my windows maybe once a week, but I still wouldn't buy a car without power windows. I can't remember the last time I adjusted my outside mirrors, but I still want power mirrors.

Have you driven into an underground parkade, or thru a tunnel? Wouldn't it be more convenient to have the lights turn on and off automatically? That's what all these features are all about --- convenience. Not necessity.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    One of two nicities that I would like in the TL (that my Chrysler 300M did have) are the auto-on headlights and the power driver seat ingress/egress feature. Of the two, the driver seat feature was my fave, miss the most. I too, had to get used to remembering to turn on the headlights! The light up dashboard would lull me into a sense that they were on. But, I've got it figured out now! ;)
    And I preferred the M's trip computer, also.

Obviously none of these features were deal breakers as overall the TL is a fab car. Niceties, but not necessities. Still, would be nice...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Obviously none of these features were deal breakers as overall the TL is a fab car. Niceties, but not necessities. Still, would be nice...

Well said. I didn't want to give the impression that I didn't like the TL. These are minor annoyances that do not even come close to outweighing the good points of the TL.

Happy motoring! :shades:
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • deltagamma1deltagamma1 Member Posts: 1
    While I agree I would like to see the auto headlight feature in this car, the reason they did not put auto headlights in the TL was to prevent wear and tear on the HID headlight system. The average cost to replace a xenon headlight with it's factory equivilent can be anywhere from $100 to $500 (other components can fail in this headlight system that standard halogen lamp systems do not have), where the average cost to replace a standard halogen bulb is $20.
    the reason ...was to prevent wear and tear on the HID headlight system.
    But if it's dark enough that I need lights, whether it's just dark out or Im going through a tunnel, etc, then I'll be turning on the lights anyway. What's the extra wear & tear turning them on via a sensor instead of manually?

As an aside, I find it ironic that the TL has some features I can get on few GM cars, yet the autoheadlights have been in the GM cars for over 10 years. I don't think it's a deal breaker for me, but it's a an annoyance. The sure-fire way to assure they will have it in the 2007 model is for me to buy a 2006 :D
  • nbwnbw Member Posts: 18
    Other day was sunny, nice and warm (for Seattle). My son and I were going to dinner, sunroof open and music on. Started to hear sirens...looked all around... then mirror and off in the distance was an intersection... light was green very few cars around... looked deeper into the mirror trying to spot the sirens....

Next thing I knew was that the car in front of me had stopped dead in the middle of my lane...we were traveling 45mph...it was a sure full speed rear end wreck comming...

I slammed on the brake and within a split second the car did a massive controlled stop.. no skidding, no other sound other than rubber stretching on the dry pavement. We stopped 3 feet from the other guys rear bumper !!

My new 2006 TL performance car saved our bacon... very impressive.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,721
    Wow, so glad no one was hurt! And no car hurt, either! Give the TL an extra tank of Premium, as a reward!

3 feet? I'm sure next time you can get even closer ;)

Again, glad everyone is OK!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

It's funny that you mentioned rain-sensing windshield wipers, as that's something I really mis on my TL. Rain constantly changes it's speed and level, and I guess I have an obsessive-compullsive thing about only using my wipers when needed. Anyway, I really miss the rainsensing wipers of my VW Passat. :cry:
  • wisngamecockwisngamecock Member Posts: 52
    I'm due to buy a new set of tires for my '05 6 SP TL. I have a set of continental snows for winter that work great. I recall lots of concern about tires on this forum in the past. For spring, summer, fall driving which tires do you recommend? Also should I purchase through Tirerack.com?
  • smillssmills Member Posts: 1
    There is one word to describe Acura, CHEAP

Their cars are sold at a "value" but you will soon regret it if you ever have ANY problems with your car and need assistance from your dealer or the company

All they do is politiely and sometimes not politely, GO FLY A KITE

So I went and flew my kite for as long as it took me to piece together my case and hand it to my attorney for warranty violations for Acuras total refusal to address porr build quality fading dash, rattles galore, misstamped body panels, terrible paint quality that is miscolored and where the bumpers dont even come close to the rest of the car's color, engine vibrations, and horriblly crappy brakes and rotors that warp and rust from day one.

Acura's rep told me in no polite voice that he wasn't going to do anything for me so I decided to express my legal rights to make them uphold their warranty. Just because you got a decent deal on the car doesnt mean they can have a slew of customer service reps in their california call center who all know eachother and laugh at how their job is to tell people to go s*#(@ themselves whenever they call in with legitimate issues. (I know because a friend of mine happens to be married to an EX-Acura rep). Acura has no idea what customer service is and you can tell from the first problem. THe new TL is a great idea but the build quality and cutting of corners on cheap parts (I.E. fading dash dude to cheap materials) is fatal to the car since you will have no assistance from the company until you make a court punish them.

Good luck to anyone who falls for the TL trap, and to all others that are smart, stay away from Acura.

Support Our Troops!
  • mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    Here we go again......
    Which dealership did you deal with and what zone was the rep. from?
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    Hopefully you are in the minority..Most previous postings do not mention the bad luck you have had..My 06 TL Non Nav has so far been trouble free,although the wife drives it and would not know a harmonic vibration from a flat tire..Anyway,complaints of the car missing certain creature comforts like rain sensing wipers,non distinguished fog lamps,faded dashes,crappy tires and lots of rattles..well these could be valid points,I also looked at G35X where complaints range from sub par paint jobs,bad rotors,bad brakes,cheap interiors for $4000 more..Please do keep in mind for the percentage of people that do still buy and will have a 4 year warrantee and better drivetrain warrantee,there still is a bottom line price to pay and mine was enough at $30600..Good looking car to go from point A to point B
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    I'm afraid that is incorrect. The TL does not
    have true automatic headlights. On my 2002
    Maxima, the control stalk on the left of the
    steering wheel has the "on" position to turn
    on the lights and then the "auto" position for
    the sensors that detect conditions to turn
    the lights on automatically. When I turn off
    the car while the lights are on, I do not get
    a chime to remind me of it when it is in the
    "auto" position. The chime does come on when
    it is in the "on" position. The TL does not
    have an "auto" indicator on the stalk, only
    an "on" indicator.
  • hkyhky Member Posts: 71
    I used goodyear eagle f1-gs-d3 on my previous car, good dry traction and amaazing wet traction - couple of weeks ago raining really hard and I can drive thru rains without any sign of hydro-planing even at high speed. It's quiet and decent threadwear (280), however don't even think about using it on any snow, ice no matter the amount. I hope they perform as well on the TL.
  • wisngamecockwisngamecock Member Posts: 52
    Smills, I'm sorry you have had such a rough time with Acura. I have owned Acuras for 14 years, with a very different experience. I suggest you check your grammar and spelling next time before you post. Your arguments lose credibility in a document that is so poorly written.
    I use Eagle F1s on my '04 6MT and they are great! Great handling and good comfort/quite. Traction is fantastic, but you're right, they are not for snow. W/r/t what the orig poster wrote about posts on bad tires, I think that's mainly with the automatics - it definitely does not apply to manuals with the summer tire option. I was happy with those, too, but the Eagle F-1s are better wet traction.

If you have snows, use 'em & get the F-1s when your current tires wear out!

As for Tirerack, I've had good experience using them. I'd suggest finding the place where you'd want the tires installed and pricing them there and then on Tirerack. When pricing on Tirerack, remember to include shipping and the surcharge your installer might charge for installing someone else's tires.
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    My '05 6MT came with the Michelins. Not bad, but at 36K miles I decided to switch before the winter. They weren't shot, just getting low, so I switched to Falken Ziex 512. DON'T DO IT. They are very noisy and rough, and even though they are rotated as scheduled, they "feathered" at the outer edges and the alignment is checked and OK. I now have 48K total miles and may dump the tires before they wear out.(or put the Michelins back on for the summer, til they go bald.)

P.S. 48K miles in 17 months. No complaints. As for fading dash, I had some old "Son of a Gun" (Armorall copy?)in the garage, and it fixed the chalkiness right up.

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• ucsb12ucsb12 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if Acura is going to put the AWD system in the TLs?
  • ezracerezracer Member Posts: 24
    I too miss the auto. ingress/egress feature that was on my Maxima. However, you can do the following , as I do. I use the memory seat function as the auto. ingress/egress. Button #1 is my driving position and button # 2 is for exiting the vehicle. As long as you are the MAIN driver, this works.

Personally, I'd like to see Acura do away with some of the double and triple activation features of the audio and climate systems ( thereby saving some money ) and add a heated steering wheel to the car. Of course this would be of no benefit to people in the warmer climes. Again, my Maxima ( a $28,000 car ) had this feature while the TL ( a $33,000 car ) does not. I mean, how many different ways do you need to change the radio station ??

Don't get me wrong.....I do love the TL !! I feel as though I'm in a 4-door sports car. Co- incidentally, years ago, that was Nissan's claim with the Maxima. ( although I NEVER got that feeling.)
  • ezracerezracer Member Posts: 24
    I've been monitoring this board for 6 months and I have NEVER heard anything about the following problem. How about the doors on this car which, if the vehicle is on a 1 degree incline and there is a slight breeze, the doors will SNAP closed on your legs like a striking cobra. NOW THATS ANNOYING !

The tension springs are WAY too agressive on these doors. Yes, eventually you get accustomed to it, but, Acura should address this issue.
    if the vehicle is on a 1 degree incline and there is a slight breeze, the doors will SNAP closed on your legs like a striking cobra.

It may be your car. Mine does not do this. I think the doors are pretty well balanced.

It did blow shut the other day, but there was a 50mph wind gust. :surprise: I'll give acura that one. ;)
  • chicagogirlchicagogirl Member Posts: 3
    We are considering a certified 2003 TL w/ 25K miles, no nav. Light gold w/ beige interior. We are in the burbs of Chicago. The price is $20K. Is this a good deal? I am a little concerned bc this car is 4 yrs old & we are nervous @ transmission issues. We have a 98 integra that has had no recalls & only requires regular maintainence. For some reason, we are having a hard time making a decison. Does certification really mean anything? Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!