Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Express/GMC Savana

Comments

• vandalybay1vandalybay1 Member Posts: 43
    Decision to buy and extended warranty should be based on:
    how long you expect to keep the vehicle
    how well you maintain and treat the vehicle (fully loaded with heavy plumbing supplies?, towing?, hard driving?, not regularly checking fluid levels, etc.)
    your expectation of the vehicle's reliability.

I plan on keeping mine for 8 years.
    I don't expect any GM to be as reliable as my old honda was even though it had transmission problems. So I got the extended warranty. I try to take better than required care of it (easy driving and frequent fluid changes), so I am perhaps paying too much (warranty and extra care).

Make sure you have written evidence of taking it into the shop for the transmission--especially if you don't get the extended warranty.

Over 12,000 miles on mine...no big problems.

Hope you enjoy your van as much as I have been enjoying mine.
  • lmp3lmp3 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 Chevy Express Van 5 litre V8 uses 1 quart of oil in less than 1000 miles. I am using 15w40 motor oil and the van has only 6000 miles on it. I asked one Chevy dealer and they told this is normal,I dont't think it is. Also out of round brake rotors seem to be problematic with these vehicles, no wonder they go through brake pads prematurely.Richard,Richard
  • sguedrysguedry Member Posts: 3
    Just both a 2000 Conversion van with the Mark III package. I traded in a 1997 Chevy van with Mark III package with 102,000 miles. The only problems I had with the '97 was the door windows not working(Dealer never did fix that problem) and a broken gas gauge that caused me later problems when dealer replaced float in tank and caused tank to leak because they replaced the gasket wrong.
    Other the van was great---thus the decision to buy another--same engine, 5.0 engine. Hope this one is as good as the other.
    The salesman told me the 2000 5.0 engine had more horsepower and torque than the '97 engine. Is this true?
    Sid
  • wes16wes16 Member Posts: 4
    I do not understand it but you might try 5w30 and see if that helps your consumption. My Buick will use (burn) 10w30 but not 5w30.

Good Luck!
    Caution! You are in warranty. Use only the oil weight the manual says to use!

Any good mechanic will tell you that, during the break in period, you can expect higher than expected oil consumption as the parts wear-in.

Keep good records, fill to the same spot on the stick, always measure when the same temperature (hot). Take the records to the GM dealership and they will have guidelines to compare to your oil consumption.
  • lmp3lmp3 Member Posts: 2
    Your observation makes sense. When the first number of the oil grade or viscosity ends in 5 it denotes a much higher quality oil. Another example of this would be comparing 10w40 oil to 15w40 oil. the 15w40 being a much better grade of oil.I live in the deep South and it is very warm here most of the time. Most vans also have very clostraphobic engine compartments which mean very high motor oil temperatures
  • philly60philly60 Member Posts: 1
    from philly60 at 19000 the air compressor went 25500 trans would slam 1st to 2nd shift so hard it would hurt your back. service light came on,and they replaced valve body. trans quit at 62400 miles . dealer instaled a factory rebuilt unit, I drove 1/2 mile from shop it quit .2nd new trans still working 2300 miles later.1st brake job 24500 miles. driver side window quit 31000 miles. at delivery the rear was so noisey you here it above radio. 3 rears later from 2 dealers finely got it right. I had bought a 5 year 100000 mile warranty from american mercury ins co for 550.00. they paid 1950. dollars less 50. deductible, waiting for check. this unit has a 350 vortex engine 4 speed auto trans 3.73 rear with positrack. Gas milage is 14 to 17 mpg. oil milage at 65000 mi.has never burned any. oil is changed at 3500 to 4000 mi. 15/40 DELVAC mobil oil is the best bet.it is comforting to find out I am not the only one with trans troubles,as dealer claims very few problems.
  • bronstabronsta Member Posts: 6
    I've seen quite a bit of written about the transmission slipping in 1st than banging hard into 2nd (see #75 for a comprehensive wtite-up). Has anyone had this fixed properly? If so, please explain remedy and how long ago (in miles) it's been since last occurence. Any other comments?
  • saleman454saleman454 Member Posts: 2
    I own a chevy express with a explorer conversion package. The conversion package is fine. I have the same a/c cycling problem. The a/c which blows ice cold, cycles every 10-15 seconds. My 1996 did not do this. The dealer tells me it's normal. Yeah right!!! Also, i have had 2 alignments in 6000 miles. My 96 had 3 alignments in 32,000 miles. My 2000 has had 2 sets of tires, a complete rear end and a drive shaft changed for a vibration problem. I feel it was a alignment problem. I love the express van, It has great design, super bright headlights, wide opening doors and you can not beat the 5.7. I have not had transmission problems with either van but I have not had many miles. My a/c problem and alignment problems are the current pains in my butt!!. I did buy the extended warranty this time. When they fix my a/c problem I will post. As for buying a dodge or ford, I feel the dodge is out dated and the ford may have the same quality control problems. I do not think that the big 3 care all that much about the full size van line.
  • starcraft1500starcraft1500 Member Posts: 3
    After having the first transmission replaced by a rebuilt while under warranty at 17000 miles I have added a trans oil cooler to my 97 Savana Starcraft conversion. I also cahange the trans fluid and filter every 15-20K miles even thogh the maintence chart with the owners manual says 50k. I use this van for road trips only and when in town keep the trans on 3 instead of D. Been informed that it will keep changing to and from overdrive repeatedly while in town driving which can eventualy cause early wear. I now have 50K and still no trans difficulties even though I do tow while on the road. Will keep you up if any changes occur with the trans after all the preventative measures.
    The dash instrument cluster was replaced under warranty after 12k miles still no problems. Had the front end alligned after 300miles they (dealer) tried beg off of this but I found every new car I have ever bought (except my Toyota and Honda) had misalligned front ends and the van was no exception, I was insistent and they did it. (got under and checked).
    Starcraft was great replacing VCR and other minor things on their end. Still no drivers window problem but after reading these stories I remain on the lookout.
    I wish Toyota or Honda made a full size van for conversion but then it would probably use US parts and the quality would be in the pits as GM, Ford and Mopar.
  • jmichalikjmichalik Member Posts: 3
    Well I finally traded off my '97 GMC Savana and have real mixed feelings. With the transmission still having the 1-2 shift problems off and on, the brakes needing replacing at 46K and a few other odds and ends, I decided now was the time. We babied it until the check engine light went off and took it to a dealer and traded it off for a '00 Isuzu Trooper. BIG change in purpose of the vehicle. If the van would have given peace of mind and no tranny problems we probably would have kept it. Really hated to say goodbye to such a beautiful conversion van. GMC has lost my business from this one. Buyer beware. Whoever buys this van better purchase a warranty or they'll be hurt.
  • bronstabronsta Member Posts: 6
    Karen,

Do you ever purge this, or any part of this, list?
    I'm not sure if it's admissible, but this list and the items mentioned may be of use down the road. I find it incredible that the same items are continuously being mentioned, yet GM seems to be very, er, unhelpful.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sorry for the slow reply.

Topics/Discussions over 50 posts are not deleted from the system unless it is determined it contains little/no value, i.e., off topic posts and/or spam. After 30 (or so) days of inactivity, the discussion is frozen and eventually archived.

Whether the information/experiences posted here would be considered relevant to GM is another matter.

Hope this answers your questions!

KarenS
    Vans host
  • randersenrandersen Member Posts: 52
    Although my company, of which I order the vehicles, is switching to 3/4 ton extended cab 4wd pickups, we have a 97 Chevy Van for our land surveying division. To date at 96,000 miles with a 5.7 liter V-8, 3.73 locking axle, this van has mostly had just regular scheduled maintenance. Chevy build this van right. We highly recommend it and probably would stick with the vans if they had factory four wheel drive.
    I am assuming this is an aftermarket four wheel drive conversion and not a luxury conversion with nice interior and exterior trim??? Saw a converted Ford E330 once but didn't see a name of the conversion on the van. I prefer factory four wheel drive due to being able to get parts and dealer service if needed after the warranty runs out. Would be interested in seeing Quigley's product if they have a webpage though.
  • wingert1wingert1 Member Posts: 1
    I have ordered a Chevy Express 155"W.B., locking diff., 4:10 rear end, air, locks, pwr wind., pwr. locks., with the Vortec 8100 engine too. I have not had too much reply on this vehicle, likely, since its very new and no opportunity for trial yet. One thing though, I have heard that a bug deflector does cause excessive vibrations to the exterior side mirrors at higher speeds. Have you had any reply about your new 2001 3500 Express Cargo van? If so, I would be interested in hearing what you have been instructed. pls?
    wing1
  • ryaj12ryaj12 Member Posts: 8
    Quigley has been converting vans to 4X4 for over 25 years. They do work for government agencies like forest service, etc. I don't think you should worry about spare parts and service. Their web site is www.quigley4x4.com
  • sharpmtnsharpmtn Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2000 Chevrolet Express (purchased straight from the dealer's lot) now with 36k+ miles on it. We experienced some shuttering going down the interstate and my husband felt the brakes were sticking. Keep in mind, we have never had to have the brakes system serviced....the dealership didn't even believe us that the pads have not been changed out. So, we took it into the dealership to be checked out. We were told that oil had gotten into the brake system and basically has ruined the entire system and can not give me a probable explaination. $3,000 later we can have our van fixed. Has anyone experienced this?
  • helfertyhelferty Member Posts: 1
    i've just recently found edmunds on the net. i own a 96 savana 2500 with a 305, it's one of the first with a sliding side door and a canadian edition. i have had a number of problems during warranty and after. 1st problem: switch gear for heat and adjustments, i couldn't change from defrost to floor etc.(vacuum hose problem) 2nd problem: total computer failure, some type of moisture got into the computer and grew mould on the components, hence the van wouldn't start(called gm and had it towed to dealer, replacement of computer). 3rd problem: fuel pump quit(left me on a job site and had to call roadside assistants). all these problems were covered under warranty.

4th problem: front passenger side brake stuck on while working in a remote area, i drove it 500yrds hoping it would release, it did, but then would jam on as soon as the brakes were applied, locking up the brake on the passenger side and jerking the van to the right(collapsing brake line and one set of burnt brake pads) 5th problem:sliding side door, it doesn't open from the inside, i've tried the child lock switch in both positions and it still won't open.

i love the way the van drives, but the problems are getting expensive. i'm thinking of getting rid of the van, but i don't want another 2500 savana if its going to have as many problems. has anyone else had as many problems, or are my problems attributed to just the 96 model? your responses are welcome.
  • crymommycrymommy Member Posts: 6
    I just had my rotors replaced today at 20k miles.
    Of course the dealer says its my driving and I had
    to pay. No warranty. Vehicle is GMC Savana 1500 SLE.
    Oil in the brake system?? What kind of oil? My first guess would be someone who had previously done work on the vehicle such as an oil change and if that someone mistaked the master cylinder reservoir for something else and put in the wrong fluid thus damaging the brake system. Other than that, I have never heard of this problem before.
    As mentioned earlier, our 97 3500 Cargo van has the 5.7 liter and the 4L80E trans. It is always loaded with at least 600 lbs of equipment,not including crew chief and instrument man. The van had over 95,000 miles and no trouble with A/C or heat in the engine compartment. Our experience is good. Don't know about the 1500's. And also, at least when the company bought this van back in 97' there was a heavy duty 2500(w/ 4L80E trans)(look for 8 lug rims) and a light duty 2500(w/ 4L60E trans)(look for 6 lug rims)available.
  • rsmmacrsmmac Member Posts: 22
    I posted some comments a while back regarding my 1997 Savana conversion van (w/350), especially transmission problems and brake wear. I was nearing 100,000 miles so I decided to sell it before my extended warranty expired.

I too haven't seen too much mention of problems with the 3500's; I hope that is a good sign. I have put in an order for a 3500, 8.1 liter, extended wheelbase Savana, hoping that the heavier-duty transmission, brakes, etc. will provide better durability. I will still get an extended warranty, though!
  • ryagrhryagrh Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know about the reliability of the Vortec 4300 V6? I'm thinking about a SAVANA with the standard engine. I don't plan to pull any heavy trailers...
  • famtex99famtex99 Member Posts: 1
    Will the 3500 Savana fit into a garage with a 7' tall door? Specs indicate the Savana is just under 7' high. Is that the height of the 1500 or does this also apply to the 3500 and for that matter, the 2500?

Response to Vortec V6 : Whether or not you plan on towing, I would go with a V8 at the very least in a full size van. Remeber the commercial - "I could have had a V8!"?
    I had our 97 1 ton company van home and tried to put it in my garage once with 83" from floor to garage door trim and the front fit about 2/3 of the way in,but the back sat high enough that it was close to touching. I may have been able to squeeze it in carefully, but if it had been a snowy day and some snow got packed in due to a drift against the door, the van would have hit the top of the door frame. Simple suggestion, borrow a 3500 from the dealer you are purchasing and try driving it in your garage(carefully, as if you break it, you buy it). My friend's 1500 conversion van did fit better with a couple inches to spare. You have at least 2' in height just because the 3500 has 16" rims and larger 245 series tires compared to the 1500 w/ 15" rims and 235 series tires. Not to mention the heavier suspension on the 3500.
    I had our 97 1 ton company van home and tried to put it in my garage once with 83" from floor to garage door trim and the front fit about 2/3 of the way in,but the back sat high enough that it was close to touching. I may have been able to squeeze it in carefully, but if it had been a snowy day and some snow got packed in due to a drift against the door, the van would have hit the top of the door frame. Simple suggestion, borrow a 3500 from the dealer you are purchasing and try driving it in your garage(carefully, as if you break it, you buy it). My friend's 1500 conversion van did fit better with a couple inches to spare. You have at least 2' in height just because the 3500 has 16" rims and larger 245 series tires compared to the 1500 w/ 15" rims and 235 series tires. Not to mention the heavier suspension on the 3500.
  • david157david157 Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 1500 savana has been in for warranty work five times. The steering/front end problem is the hardest to understand. The steering did not feel right from the first day I drove it. The feeling in the steering wheel was like something was loose or similar to a worn steering gear,and also a vibration/shudder when turning. The dealer rotated the tires and later replaced the steering gearbox,nothing helped. now I have a tire cupping problem and possible premature tire wear at 9000 miles. Also A vibration when braking,possibly from odd wear on the front tires. Any similar problems or answers. Thanks.
  • fudplugfudplug Member Posts: 2
    My van had 59,000 miles on it and has had several problems in the last 6 months. One of which is a leaky axle seal on the rear end which soaked the brake shoes in gear oil, causing them to stick. The next problem has not yet been repaired. Sometimes when cold while driving at speeds of 20-30mph, the engine will misfire and lose power. It generally starts running normally after about 5 seconds. I have never observed this problem when the motor was hot. Oh, and it is a 350 vortec. The van is a dream to drive, i use it to haul motorcycles, mountain bikes, gear, etc. It is the best driving van i have ever had, to bad it is not built as well as it could be.
  • hurchinhurchin Member Posts: 1
    A dealer tried to pull this on me too. They told me my brake pads were worn out, at less than 30,000 miles. I told them that I didn't think that was reasonable, and that I had never gotten less than 100,000 miles from a set of brakes. I asked that they show me the problem. They asked me to wait just a moment and when they came back, low and behold, all of a sudden the problem was something covered by the warranty instead of worn out brake pads. I now have over 150,000 miles on the same brakes, get them checked at least every 6 months. The master cylinder and slave cylinders are tight, with good rubber and no leaks. The pads still have 1/2 wear left - of course I don't go to the dealer any more to check the brakes.
  • drddinkydrddinky Member Posts: 4
    I have a 96 1500 conversion that exhibits a similar problem. When starting from cold, I get the same type of "hesitation" that lasts for about 5-10 seconds, usually about 30-45 seconds after the start. When actually driving the van, this has actually been a problem when turning the corner of my street and accelerating. Once it occurs, it doesn't happen again until the next start up. Of course, the dealer can never find it. I have also had the transmission slip issues that many have noted, where it slams from 1st to second. The computer has always shown the code, and the dash shows the "service engine light", but the dealer has not done anything to correct this problem either.
  • fudplugfudplug Member Posts: 2
    drdinky, does your van have a 350? that explanation is very similar to what mine does. how many miles on your van, and have you ever changed the fuel filter? i am going to change mine today. i have not yet tried the dealer, as i am scared of them.
  • drddinkydrddinky Member Posts: 4
    Yes, it is a 350 and the fuel filter has been changed to no avail. I believe it is a computer problem, but the dealer refuses to go there. The vehicle has 56K on it now, but the problem first came up around 45K. It doesn't happen every time, but I would say about 75-80% of the time. It is worse in wet weather, with cold weather coming in second. 2 oxygen sensors have been replaced,as well as the wires. Niether has had any impact on a "repair"
    Between the way this thing goes through brakes, the above mentioned hesitation, the occasional transmission "slip", and the lack of dealer quality, I think I'm going to dump this van soon. It is really sad since I love the ride, and the kids enjoy the TV and all the room the conversion package offers.
    I'd be interested to know if you have experienced transmission problems. If you go back an read past posting you'll see that there are so many problems with that, I can't believe there wasn't been a recall.
  • cwhammockcwhammock Member Posts: 1
    I'm having trouble ordering the 3500 series Chevy 155"wb van (CG31075) with the "YF7" upfitter option (to be shipped to a van converter) with the 8.1 L engine. Has anyone else had this problem? (or been able to actually obtain the 8.1 L engine?) It seems the demand for the 8.1 L exceeds GM's capacity till at least 2nd Qtr. 2002. It appears you can order a regular cargo van not specifically equipped for "Converting" and get the 8.1 L. Is anyone familiar with this problem?? Thanks!
    Town Hall Vans
    I do not know about the "YF7" upfitter option, but I ordered a 3500 GMC 155" BB SLE passenger van at the beginning of September through a dealer, and took delivery November 20, with the intent of taking it to a local converter for further customizing. I wanted stock windows and a sliding side door, not after market cut-out windows (less crash worthy? No one is sure, don't want to take chances with kids). I am about to take it in to get the high roof, headliner, TV & VCR put in. I was also going to get 6 captain's chairs put in to replace the front seats and first three rows of bench seats, (leaving the last bench seat in) but over the last 2 1/2 months the stock seats have come in very handy. It is amazing how many people you can bring along comfortably! (With the 15 passenger configuration, 10 adults is a comfortable number).

It took a long time to get it, but WOW. Knocks those pansy little Excursions out of the water! :)
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    You are worried about the safety of the conversion windows, but you are going to cutoff your roof and replace it with fiberglass?

This doesn't add up.

Sounds like a nice van, though. Definitely more more utility and practicality than an SUV in a vehicle of about the same length, width, and heighth.

If you really want to toast the Excursion/Suburban crowd, throw in your own 4wd

http://www.quigley4x4.com

I know, you'll never use the 4wd, but neither do they!

Yes, I've also heard the roof weakens the structure of the van by cutting out a few of the cross beams (the front and back ones remain). I've been struggling with that decision too; the van is very nice as is, I don't want to lose the functionality of the rear air controls, but I had a conversion van before and the headroom (+TV and VCR) are very nice to have. Do you know of any additional safety information available regarding the fiberglass roofs? Any options to counteract the weakening of the roof area?

As far as the 4x4, you are right, I will probably never need it, but I've thought about it. Just another reason I went with the 3500; I can always do it later if I want. For now, I don't want to invest the $8,000 or so for the 4x4 conversion, and I've not been in any area where a locking rear diff. (and chains, if snow/ice) were not sufficient to get me where I want to be. That and a light foot. The torque is great until you want to get up an icy hill.

And please note, I live in CA, where you have to elect to drive in snow & "difficult driving conditions" means dodging hundreds of cel phone users & other distracted drivers each day.
  • mrh3108mrh3108 Member Posts: 41
    My '99 conversion began making a loud humming sound a few months ago. The service adviser at the dealer heard and thought it was a faulty fuel pump. His technicians said that the fuel pump was fine and that the sound was normal.

It didn't show up for the first 18 months I owned the vehicle. Has any one had a similar experience?
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    No I really haven't heard any safety testing on extended roofs. However, the better companies reinforce the roof.

I have seen literature on ambulances with extended roofs often accompanied with gimacky looking photos with the vans upside down resting on there tops. These are difference creatures than a cruising van's hightop. The ambulances were heavily reinforced due to the dangerous driving habits of there owners.

Sounds like you are building a great van. I really like the six captains idea. Enjoy it and let us know how the customization goes!
  • claytonm3claytonm3 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1998 Chevy Express Van with 70k miles through a bank that leased the vehicle.

After one month, the first problem became later identified on GM's technical bulletin as a solenoid fault within the transmission. The local Chevy dealer wanted to replace the entire transmission for $1700. Badger Transmission fixed the problem with a torgue converter for $650.

Stalling, hesitation and hard starting seem to be quite common with this van. Indeed, the Chevy dealership wanted to rewire the entire vehicle without knowing the outcome.

I had an independent repair shop examine it. After working on it for a week, they installed a mass air flow sensor for a unit cost of $340 plus labor. That seemed to work for about a month, but the problem returned.

I took it back to the same shop and they later discovered that the computer was corroded. Express owners, please note that the computer is located in the worst possible place for exposure ~ inside the front left fender, underneath the water bottle. The aluminum casing got so hot from electrical shortages due to water/winter salt, it actually fused the copper pins where the wires connect. A new ECU costs about $700. I got a remanufactured one for about $300.

The computer still has to be re programmed at a Chevy dealership. While it was there, the service manager tried to convince the auto mechanic that the main problem was due to a gasoline leak that was following the wires to the computer and that the only way to fix it was to replace the wiring harness. My mechanic knew better. (He's my brother).

I got the van for my dogs. It truly is for the dogs.
  • nlongnlong Member Posts: 1
    How is your gas mileage with the 8.1/496ci engine? Do you have 3.73 or 4.10?
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Member Posts: 872
    I have a 98 Express van and have had the outside rear view mirrors replaced 3 times. Has anyone else had the same problem? The dealer ruined 2 sets of door pads during re-installation, and want to know if a definite fix to the problem before I have them replaced again.
    I forgot to mention what the defect in these mirrors was. When driving they wobble/shake to the point that they are useless. The glass just shakes, the body of the mirror is stable. When driving at night the lights from behind me tend to flash me and catch my eye in the most annoying way. Right after they get replaced it gets better, but as time goes on it worsens.
  • chowinichowini Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for the tracks for the rear seat on a 2500 or 3500. I am trying to put the 4 seater to the back of my 1500 so I need the tracks that bolt on the floor. so if anyone has it please sent me an e-mail to [email protected]. I would like to get it off you.
    Thanks. p.c.
    jgmilberg has had problems with vibrating side-view mirrors. Another Express/Savana driver in this forum had their mirrors replaced many times. The problem went away after the bug deflector was removed. Seems like the bug deflector redirected the airflow to the mirror or created turbulence causing the mirrors to vibrate. The turbulence doesn't affect a new mirror until after a while when it progressively gets worked more and more loose. jgmilberg do you have a bug deflector?
    Dear Mr. Long:

I got the 3.73 and I get just about 11 mpg (10.88 to date at 4050 miles) with a rather heavy foot. My old 1500 conversion never got more than 13.5 (it had a 350 and the 3.73), so I am not shocked, although 11 mpg is abysmal when compared to smaller vehicles. Depends on what you want. I've already had 2 "road / day trips" (300+ miles) with 9 other family members (my wife and our 3 kids, brother & sister in law & their baby, grandma and grandpa) & all our stuff. We all have great fun together, so being together for the trips is nicer than taking 2-3 cars.

And I can't deny it - I like to drive, I always liked full-size vans, and I love the big V-8 torque and horsepower.

Best regards,

Marc
    I do have a bug gaurd, but had it put on after I had already had 2 sets of mirrors replaced. It was installed after only 14K miles, so I am unhappy with the design and think if a little thing like a bug gaurd would effect the mirrors in such a dramatic way they would figure out what was going bad and beefed it up. In all reality how many van conversion companies install them before it even hits the dealer lot.
  • txvanmantxvanman Member Posts: 2
    I have just ordered a Savanna 3500 with a full high-top Explorer conversion and the new 8.0 liter engine. I am told the van won't be delivered to the dealer until the end of April. While I'm waiting, I'm wondering if anyone else has taken delivery of such a van. The primary reason I ordered it was to tow a 7600 pound trailer over long distances. The Express 1500 we have now, with the Vortex 5.7 and 3:73 rear end is just not up to the job.

I ordered the 3500 with a 3:73 locking rear miff. My wife drives the van around town everyday with kids etc. I'm worried that the 3500 will be too tall, too truck like and a beast to drive. Since the dealer can't actually show me one, I'm sort of left in the dark while I wait for this thing to arrive. Any experiences anyone? And if you do have one with the high-top.. how tall is it? The dealer is just not sure.
    Here is the site with all the specs on the stock van, www.gmc.com go to savana, then select specs. It is only 2.5"-3" taller that the 1/2 ton. The 3/4 to will do the job but the power of the 8.1 L engine is unmatched, and unfortunatly only available in the 1 ton model. By changing to a 4:10 gear in the rear of the 3/4 ton might make a difference, but no where near the difference of the 8.1L. The 3500 is a really stiff ride in the passenger van version, so I would imagine it would be the same in the conversion. The total height will be determined by your "bubble" top. If your current van has one on it add about 2.5" - 3" to the height. An easy way to do this is to drive it up onto 2x6's stacked 2 high laying flat on the ground, this should give you a really good idea how hard/easy getting in and out will be. Check out the SUV topic under trucks and Yukon XL for more feedback on the 8.1L performance. Find out from your dealer if the Allison 5 speed auto is available, if so for the sake of your wallet get it, it will pay for itself in fuel costs. Adds about 3-4 MPG over the 4 spd auto. Have you considered a Yukon XL? Can get a good ride in the 3/4 ton with the 8.1L and autoride. Just an idea.
  • txvanmantxvanman Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your post John, I appreciate the help in determining the final height of my new van. The Explorer rep. did call back to say that the 2001 raised-roof is 3" lower than the 1998 raised roof I have now. So the net gain/loss in height for the 2001 3500 should be about zero. This is good, since it has to go under an 8 ft garage door.
    I did speak to the factory rep. about the Allison 5 speed transmission and was told it's not available in a van. Anyone know if that's correct?

As for the Yukon, my wife really loves the van. We've had three full size Explorer conversions since 1992. They have all been good vans and excellent on long trips with our 3 kids. The 1 ton should be even better with its ability to tow our rather heavy 26ft camping trailer.
    I'm sure you are right that the 3500 will be much stiffer than the 1500. I wonder if it is possible to change the ride height with a different shock/spring set-up to make it a little lower and easier to get in. Time will tell. We have until April to wait for ours.