Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    i think toyota sells more camrys than honda sells accords-- but accord devotees say this is a result of rental sales by toyota....

in the long run, does it matter?

i don't understand why camry doesn't have ABS as standard equipment in its base LE, but i also don't understand why honda doesn't have a power driver seat standard in the base LX 4 cylinder...

i think it's easier to get the camry the way you want it-- try getting a moonroof in an accord LX. then, some prefer the simpler LX/EX trim lines.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    1) The Accord outsells the Camry on private registration basis, but, overall, the Camry outsells the Accord. The Accord sees about 3% fleet sales, where the percentage of Camrys sold to fleets is significantly higher, about 10-12%, from what I have read. This is part of the reason that the Accord tops the Camry in resale value, in fact besting the rest of the mainstream midsize class. The Camry still offers quite good resale value, far ahead of Taurus, Impala.. anything domestic really, and ahead of Altima, though its lead over that vehicle is smaller.

2) Someone stated that the initial reviews of the Accord 2.4L stated it felt more like the 192hp 3.0L engine of the Camry. Not quite, in my experience, especially where refinement is concerned, but nonetheless, that engine is no longer available in any Camry. The LE V6 and XLE V6 now use a 210hp and 220 ft lb. version of that. (You'll note that thats more torque than available in the Accord V6). The SE V6 offers the 3.3L 225hp and 240lb ft. engine that puts the Camry's acceleration on par with the Accord V6, and better in passing manuvers.

3) About snow traction- putting snow tires on any car will make a HUGE difference. That said, I do not have any experience with Accords in snow. If I was really concerned, though, and had the money, I'd put it on a Camry with snow tires and VSC, as opposed to an Accord with snow tires. For those of you who havent experienced the advantage of stability control- its pretty surprising...

~alpha
  • Options
    talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    Even without VSC, the Accord with traction control is very capable and secure in snow. We've had lots of snow in my area over the past month, and my Accord handles it just fine, even with the standard all-season tires.

I never thought that traction control could make such a difference, but it's like night and day between the less powerful (200 hp) 2000 Accord V6 without traction control that I owned previously and the more powerful (240 hp) 2003 Accord V6 with traction control that I currently own. In snow, wheelspin was very hard to control with the 2000... on the other hand, it's virtually a non-issue with the 2003.

I'm sure the Camry with VSC is great in snow as well, but don't sell the Accord short... it's still a great choice.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    ...because has Alpha stated, it helps the Accord retain a higher resale value.

It wouldn't stop me from buying a Camry if I wanted one though.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Your knowledge of cars is amazing. I know I have a hard time remembering what car produces what Hp and torque. The Camry SE V6 is on my short list of cars I am considering for purchase. It will probably be either an 05 or more likely an 06 model since I am still making payment on my 2003 camry. Incidently, I am surprised that the 2003 Accord didn't outsell the 2003 Camry. Has the exterior looks of the Accord turned off a lot of potential buyers?
  • Options
    I just really enjoy driving, mainstream vehicles, the automotive culture, etc. If there is one industry that has completely revolutionized every facet of American life, its the wealthspring of freedom that began in Detroit. If you have time to read, there are several good books which I can recommend that paint a clear picture of just how the automobile has changed our society, and what it takes to be competitive in this dynamic industry. Just shoot me an email, I dont want to get too off topic here.

That said, please let me correct myself on one point: The Altima's resale value is ACTUALLY slightly better than a similarly equipped Camry's after 2 years, but the two are even after 4 years of ownership.

Motown, if you're looking at 06 models- a lot will be going on by then, so its hard to even say which car is a better choice for you right now. My recommendation, though, would be to definitely NOT trade in your current Camry, if you are financially able to keep it. Cars aren't like houses, there is no possibility for appreciation in value, and I'd recommend keeping a vehicle for at least 6 calendar years or 99,999 miles. Then, if you turn 100K, you might as well go to 150K.

For my next car, what I actually might do, as I heard this is an excellent investment strategy, is to find a moderate mileage, 2 year old certified used model, then sell it in another 2-3 years. This really mitigates depreciation, and I've even heard of people who sell for only slightly less than the amount they paid, on cars with good resale, like the Accord, for example.

~alpha
  • Options
    carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "I'm surpised the 2003 Accord didn't outsell the 2003 Camry".

The 98 Camry outsold the brand new 98 Accord 5-6 years ago. In an interseting point an Accord Coupe was offered for the 98 model year while the Solara(coupe versaion of Camry) wasn't offered for the 98 model year. So alone the 1998 Camry 4dr in 1998 outsold both the 98 Accord 4dr and 2dr models. The Solara was offered for the 99 model year however.
  • Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    Take an Accord Ex with leather and an XLE there are several items the Accord does not have cassette, heated mirrors, full spare and two power seats and frankly a poor ride. the Camry has the dullest interior in the business but a lot of virtues. I own the Accord and am impressed with the fuel economy handling in snow and its overall appearance . the ride is the only irritant. had to replace the catalytic converter because it smelled awful. The Accord is darn good but if the price were right and the interior more attractive I'd go back to Toyota
  • Options
    I find the Camry's ride to be too soft for my tastes. The Accord provides a level of firmness that I appreciate, while still remaining comfortable.
  • Options
    nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    Here are my 2 cents on the two vehicles. First, we have always been loyal Toyota consumers, pretty much our entire family are loyal. We placed an order mid last year for a 04 Camry SE V6. When we ordered it with Navigation, VSC, auto-dimming rear view mirror, spoiler, etc the Toyota brochure stated that the Nav. system came with a cassette player, which was great for us. When the vehicle was delivered, the dealership had some moron wash the car with a harsh rag leaving superficial scratches all over. Next, the interior leather color was wrong, and Toyota changed the Nav. system and removed the cassette w/o informing the consumers. Well, they have a disclaimer in the brochure which they pointed out to us. When we refused to take delivery of the vehicle, the sales manager said, "well, I have to discuss it with his lawyer." I loved that comment, because I was right up in his face and challenged it. Eventually, another vehicle was ordered, but was not delivered on time as promised, we cancelled the order and in less than two weeks purchased an 04 Accord EX V6 w/Nav. It was less in $$$ and we got a great deal more, both customer service and honesty. First, Accord's Nav BLOWS Toyota's Nav out of the water. Second, the Nav for Toyota only allows you to have one CD in the dash, Accords it's a six disc CD. Next, the interior lay out of the Accord is much welcoming/warming. The Camry is not. Again, Toyota sell's more Camry than Accord's mainly because of the 0% and cash backs they have been offering. What consumers don't know is that with the incentives and rebates it drops the value of the vehicle significantly. Go to KBB.com and match the two vehicles with close to the same options and you will notice a significant difference in the book value of the two vehicles. Next, the Camry did not come out with the 5 speed Auto until Accord had it. The Accord is better in fuel savings. For example, when we first purchased our RX300 the MPG was 18 City 22 HWY. The first 10,000 miles we were getting 14 MPG combined. I was very upset, we never got close to the 22MPG as claimed. With our Accord having approx. 1,000 miles we are already getting 25 MPG combined. The Camry SE V6 had no power seat for the passenger the Accord does. Next, I would admit at first the rear of the Accord wasn't appealing, but it grew on us, the Camry looks very nice. Now I understand that the SE V6 w/ the new 3.3L engine is causing the vehicle to pull out of alignment. The Accord is firmer I admit, but not as much as the SE and of course the XLE is smoother. For the value, the Accord in my opinion is a better all around vehicle.
  • Options
    "The Accord is better in fuel savings." I have no problem with you making this point, however, your use of the experience you with the Lexus RX is not valid support of this comment, not representative of the Camry, and on the whole, the(3.3L) V6 averages only about 1 MPG less than the Accord V6.

Another point would be regarding consumer incentives. For the first two model years, Camrys had relatively low incentives, and even now, you CANNOT get 0% financing for any longer than 36 months in any part of the country, and in most parts of the country, the Camry offers do not allow for combining a cash back incentive with a financing incentive. The lower resale value on Camrys (which averages about 2-3% of MSRP lower than the Accord) is primarily due to the higher % of sales to fleet buyers, as I stated in this forum several posts ago. [That said, the Accord is seeing strong financing incentives in many areas now.]

Toyota and Honda customer service traditionally ranks at the bottom of the scale, certainly, YOUR experience was far better with Honda. However, I have been to good and bad dealerships vending both.

"Now I understand that the SE V6 w/ the new 3.3L engine is causing the vehicle to pull out of alignment." Indeed, in some cars, this is the case. But youre a frequent member on the Accord threads, and you know that its not without its quality gaffes.

"Next, the interior lay out of the Accord is much welcoming/warming. The Camry is not." This is subjective. When I drive the current Accord, I feel like the A-pillar is really close to my head, and I'm not impressed with visibility. Thats NOT inviting to me.

I will certainly agree that in many forms, the Accord represents a better value than the Camry. I just feel some of your justifications are very subjective, and functions of YOUR experience, not necessarily representative of the overall case.

~alpha
  • Options
    OK, lets start from the beginning. Many dealerships in the NYC area have an attitude, it's either take it or leave it, because they know they will sell the vehicle easily to another customer. My, experience with my RX 300 is a representation of Toyota engines. The V6 engines are not much a difference from the Lexus or the Toyota division. Secondly, you CAN combine a cash back with 0% financing when it was offered. We were receiving $400.00 recent college grad with the 0% for 24 months. Many of the pulling of the Accords, drivers believed it was due to the Michelin tires. Next, inviting to me is the lay out of the instrument panel, the low and high seat warmers, the super clean Nav display, the led illuminated instruments, etc. The A-Pillar is not close to my head, my seat is reclined back. My visibility is clear front and side the rear may be questionable as with the Camry. My experience is exactly what I am offering, I have never said that it should represent the overall case. That's what we are all here for, individual experiences whether they are positive or negative. As far as re-sale values and book values, Accords are leading in this area. The 0% and rebates directly hurt the consumers in the long run. I will look for the link that I have read this, I believe it was CNN business.
  • Options
    bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    Why are 5 speed acoords so hard to come by? It seems liek the Accord sells 25% 5 speeds, and Camry's only 1-2%. Is that right?
  • Options
    yankeryanker Member Posts: 156
    i had a 96 Camry with 90000 and it consistently delivered 26mpg except during the very coldest of weather. The 2003 Accord delivers a consistent 29mpg. I not sure if weight is a factor. We alos have a 97 that delivers aboutthe same26 mpg in the Boston area
  • Options
    Dude, don't get defensive, I'm all about the Accord, I was just trying to represent both sides.

~alpha
  • Options
    Alpha01,

You are a very experienced person when it comes to Toyota's and Honda's. You opened the eyes to myself and many others whom seek information from this site. It's not too often that we members complement each other. I have read so many people slamming each other over the smallest things. I like to say thanks for your help in helping us to make a final decision on the automobile that best meets and exceeds our needs. I apologize if my reply came on to harsh or defensive, I was not intending it to be. Thanks again for providing us all with your knowledge and experiences.
  • Options
    bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    Can anyone tell me why 5 speed Camrys are so hard to find? It seems easier to find 5 speed Accords.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    "My, experience with my RX 300 is a representation of Toyota engines. The V6 engines are not much a difference from the Lexus or the Toyota division."

One small correction Nw1997. While the engine and transmission are the same the vehicles are not. One is a mid size car, the other is a mid size SUV. A typical mid size SUV weighs almost a 1000 pounds more than a typical mid size car. The Camry weighs about 3200 Lbs and I am guessing the RX300/330 weighs somewhere north of 4000 lbs. Since both automobile produces roughly the same Hp and torque, the law of physics dictate the heavier automobile will require more energy (Aka more gasoline) to cover the same distance. So your argument has a minor flaw. Being the proud owner of 2003 Camry LE V6, I can testify that on highways I have gotten very close to 30 mpg. The Honda Accord no doubt is an outstanding car also. Just about all the auto mags have rated the Accord the best mid size car out there.
  • Options
    motownusa,

Great post. I would like to add, when a manufacturer claims that a vehicle should get at least 18 MPG in the city and 22 on the hwy, it would be nice to at least get the city MPG when your on the hwy. We were getting approx. 14 mpg on the hwy, which sucks. We had no one else in the vehicle and we did not have anything in the trunk. It was only until 12,000 miles that we went up to approx. 16-18 mpg on the HWY. the gross weight of the RX300 I believe is 3860 LBS. A difference of approx. 660 LBS compared to your Camry, if your getting about 30 MPG on the hwy, then the RX300 should of at least done better than the 16-18 MPG we noted. Keep also in mind your LE V6 Camry should have a five speed auto transmission, while the RX300 had a four speed auto transmission. Never the less, the new RX 330 has a five speed auto tranny, but still is suffering on MPG. Thats probably why the hybrid version of the RX330 is soon to be out. Lexus/Toyota knows that they're SUV's are gas drinkers/gulpers, not sippers. Well nearly all SUV in the V6's are in that category. Just to add, two more cents to the conversation, when we use 89 Octane in our V6 Accord w/5 speed auto tranny and straight hwy miles and only having approx. 1,000 miles on the vehicle we are already getting approx. 31 MPG. This is more than what HONDA rated the vehicle for. Please, don't get me wrong, Toyota's are great vehicles, but technology wise and fuel savings, I don't believe anyone will doubt that Honda exceeds in these areas.
  • Options
    canoe2canoe2 Member Posts: 128
    Not much saving in fuel on Honda vs. Toyota (0.1L/100km saving!)

http://oee.nrcan.gc.ca/vehicles/guide/guide.cfm?PrintView=N&T- ext=N
  • Options
    For any new family sedan, with the exception to the Passat and Mazda6, it is hard to find with a 5spd manual.

The Accord with a manual is much easier to find than either the Camry or Altima, but it is still difficult. Especially if the Accord you want is an EX-L.

LX with manuals are easier to find I have found.

I have only seen ONE Accord EX-L with manual, and it had a Navi system.

The coupe is a somewhat different story from the sedan though.

As far as the Camry, most Camrys are going to be automatic because that is what sells.

The LE with automatic is the best seller, similar to the Accord LX with automatic.

Most Camrys I have seen with the manual have either been basic LEs with NO options or the SE with the Conv. Plus Pkg.
  • Options
    atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    ...has been discontinued, hasn't it ? Starting with the 2003s, if what I read is accurate.
  • Options
    But the the V6 doesn't have the 5spd anymore. That changed with the 2002 redesign IIRC.

Camry SEs can be found at Carmax.com with 5spd, or at least they once could.
  • Options
    steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    The LE and SE(4) are both available in 5 speed manual, but very difficult to find.
  • Options
    bronzemaxellbronzemaxell Member Posts: 55
    i thought all the v6 now only has 5 speed and the i4 has both 4 speed and 5 speed
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    It's too bad you can't get a Camry with manual and navigation. That made choosing between the Camry and the Accord easy for me.
  • Options
    Then you are correct, I was under the impression that we were talking about manuals.

The 5spd manual is available for the Camry LEI4 and SEI4. XLEI4s have the 4spd automatic

The V6 models have the 5spd. automatic
  • Options
    excivicowner81excivicowner81 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 Camry LE 5 Speed, and there were several others on the lot when I bought mine. But even the dealer told me a Camry with a 5 speed is very difficult to sell. Accord in 5 speed is easier to sell...because Accord's core fan base is younger, and more sport oriented.
  • Options
    ssiussiu Member Posts: 25
    We got a 2004 Accord LX-V6 sedan early January. It's my wife's car but she is not a car person. I picked the Accord over the Camry. We had very low mileage (I'm too embrassed to give the number) but here is my thought after 3 months.

Negative: the ride over bad roads is harsh. It is fine on moderately-bad roads, but on worse-than-average roads it is worse than I expect. I frequently drive a 1999 Civic, so I am used to Honda suspensions. I thought the Accord couldn't be worse than the Civic (I thought longer-wheelbase and heavier ==> better ride), but somehow it feels worse. Maybe due to the lower profile tires? Our Accord has steel wheels; I wonder if lighter alloy wheels can improve the ride.

We miss the automatic door-locking mechanism (a safety feature). On the 1999 Civic EX Sedan, all doors lock automatically when we start the engine, and unlock automatically when we turn off the engine. (Does the Accord EX has this feature?) On our previous American car (1994 Intrepid ES), the doors lock automatically once the car reaches certain speed.

Positive: No rattles or any other problems so far. (I think it is wise to wait till 2nd year of a new model before buying, even for a Honda/Toyota.) We are not very "discerning" so we may not notice minor rattles or build trim problems.

Also, for someone who is analytical/objective (when comparing Accord/Camry) and not concerned about styles etc., I find that I really like the luxury look of the LED instrument panel.

---

Regarding the ride, I was starting to think that maybe I should have chosen the Camry instead. (We have a 3-year old, and a baby coming in October.) That is, until I saw the NHTSA crash test results for the 2004 Camry. Then I am glad I picked the Accord. Honda has put a higher focus/emphasis on safety compared to Toyota, with its own crash test facility etc., and it shows in the consistently good crash results on all its new models. (Subaru is also good. And VW, but I won't consider VW because of reliability.)
  • Options
    Camry's crash test ratings as well. But theres some wild fluctations in those tests, without Toyota doing anything to the restraint systems. I've no idea why the Camry, all of a sudden, went from 5 stars in the side impact for rear passenger, down to 3 stars. It was also a surprise that the driver dummy went down to 4 stars from the previous 5 in the frontal impact. The only changes I have read about have been in regards to strenghthening the drivers door, to improve upon side impact safety- from 3 stars last year to 4 stars this year.

It is all very strange, and makes me wonder about the repeatability of the NHTSA tests.

On the other hand, the IIHS offset tests seem very repeatable, and in this measure the Accord and Camry finish 1st and 2nd in their class.

~alpha
  • Options
    ssiussiu Member Posts: 25
    BTW alpha, I read your posts from about 2 months ago about the imminent release of IIHS side crash test results on mid-side sedans, but I haven't seen anything yet. Do you know what happen to that, when will it be released?
  • Options
    No, I do not know what happened. My post was regarding an episode of MotorWeek which showed that IIHS had been doing its battery of tests on midsize sedans. I dont think I was mistaken, but perhaps the epsiode was about the frontal offsets that have recently been released for midsize vehicles. OR my guess, if the IIHS has indeed tested the midsizers in the side impact, is that auto mfrs. implored the IIHS not to release results until they could offer side impact protection more widely. I read other places on these boards that there are supply issues regarding airbags and systems. The results of the side impact tests for compact SUVs were alarming to the general public to say the least, so perhaps the IIHS is cutting some slack until next year?

~alpha
  • Options
    ricowizricowiz Member Posts: 8
    I need some help. I am looking at buying a new car next month and have narrowed it down to an Accord or Camry (obviously). I have read the threads here but it seems no one is comparing the 2 or giving their reviews on the cars, only having side conversations.

Is there anywhere I can get some good opinions on these 2 cars?
  • Options
    email me-- have driven both in bast few months-- see my profile for email address
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey ral! Why not post your thoughts right here? Lots of folks would like to read them ...

:)
  • Options
    i drove my dad's camry (2003) for a few days, and also test drove accord-- ended up buying accord...

strictly opinion, and in no particular order...

little things added up...

1) i like center arm rest on accord-- it slides forward and back..nice.

2) i like EX version with moonroof and XM radio... 4 cylinder-- 30 mpg... plenty of oomph..and satellite radio is real nice to have...

3) i like the keyless entry fob built into the key on the honda...

4) i didn't like toyota $450 TDA or whatever advertising fee tacked on...

5) i like the instrumentation in accord-- the lighting..

6) after a few days with camry, seemed somewhat boring interior....

those are just some things that come to mind...

i go along with consensus that camry is "quieter" ride-- accord offers more road feel...

both cars are nice-- all depends on your own views... test drive both... there's some things in the toyota i liked better (location of moonroof switch, for one)....
  • Options
    Along with other upgrades, the 2005 Camry (available late summer) will directly address these two issues:

"5) i like the instrumentation in accord-- the lighting.."

Optitron gauge illumination will be standard, and there is a rumor that the color choice for lighting may be selectable (between white, blue, and redish). Thats a feature on Asian market Camrys that might not make it here, but at the very least, instrumentation will be the jazzy Optitron type, and similar in function to Accords.

6) after a few days with camry, seemed somewhat boring interior....

Somewhat agreed, though the Camrys dash is highly functional, its stylistically more plain than the Accords. New lower dash for 2005, as well as a new stereo head unit.

ricowiz- Can you wait until the Fall for your purchase? The Camry will be significantly upgraded by then, with the addition of a 5 speed automatic to the 4 cylinder, larger wheel and tire options, a few more hp for the 4 cylinder, the 3.3L V6 in all trim lines, revised front and rear styling, etc. Side curtain airbags will be more widely available as well.

Adittionally, the Accord is expected to have a revised front and rear for 2005, and side curtain airbags will be standard on all models.

If you were buying RIGHT NOW, at this very moment, though... I'd say go Accord EX 4 (5A) cylinder, with side curtain option. $23,290 on the sticker, and you can probably pick one up for $20,250 with some haggling.

~alpha
  • Options
    jimtarheeljimtarheel Member Posts: 18
    I'm getting very close to trading my 1993 Camry in for a 2004 Subaru Forester XS because I love the spirited performance, visibility and sitting tall in the saddle, without sacrificing gas mileage. I've driven the Camry and dismissed it due to lack of visibity in the rear - the salesman explained it as "aerodynamic styling." Horsefeathers! I wonder if the Accord also has that "aerodynamic styling" that prevents the driver from seeing where the rearend of the car is. What is your experience? Thanks.
  • Options
    ... who is quite vocal in the Accord forums about a few things that he dislikes about the Accord, is very unhappy with the rear visibility. Myself, using the Click and Clack recommended method for adjusting your side view mirrors, find the rear visibility to be just fine.

In other words, if this is a "sensitive" area for you, you probably have to see for yourself.
  • Options
    zitchzitch Member Posts: 55
    I know what you mean by this. In my 03 Accord, I cannot see where my rear end is at, which makes for some fun in trying to back up into a spot. I don't remember having this problem in my 1994 Accord, but most of the cars today seem to have this problem. It's not really a big deal though, cause I now have a "feeling" of where my back end is at and how far away it is to whatever I'm backing up to. If I'm unsure, I get out the car and visually inspect where I'm at. I also don't backup into parking spots a whole lot anyways, so it's not a big deal to me.

In any case, it looks like they'll need to add the radar-beep function they have in minivans to help you backup! Or include a rear-facing camera... :)
  • Options
    ricowizricowiz Member Posts: 8
    Good point alpha01. I did not realize the both cars were getting upgraded in the fall. I wonder if this will affect pricing??

I may be able to pull it off and wait till the fall, my current car(96 Golf K2) is at 171,000 miles and seems to be coughing and on its last breath. Is there any pics or info out on these 2005 cars??
  • Options
    richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    Interesting, and I'll try it. Here's the recommended mirror setting:

Safe driving aid
    Side mirrors adjustment

Excerpts from National Safety Council on Safe Driving.

Some of the most serious preventable accidents occur because of blind spots while driving! Now there is a remarkable simple solution discovered by an engineer named George Platter. He presented his method at the prestigious Society of Automotive Engineers.

The National Safety Council tested his theory and discovered, to their amazement, that it works! The method has been fully endorsed by the National Safety Council as described in their September/October issue of Traffic Safety. Here’s how it works.

First, forget how we learned to adjust our outside mirrors by plopping behind the steering wheel and turning the mirrors so that we just saw the side of our car looking back at us in the mirrors.

Instead, adjust the driver’s side mirror by resting your head against the driver’s side window and then turning the mirror so that you just see the side of your car.

Once this is set, move to the center of the vehicle and turn the passenger side mirror so that you can just see the side of your car from the center of the vehicle.

That’s it. You won’t see your own car in either mirror, yet what you will see is far better. Cars behind you show up as usual in the inside rear-view mirror above the dash, but the instant the car leaves your field of vision from the rear-view mirror, the outside mirror picks it up. No blind spots; no delays; no wondering where that car about to pass you has disappeared to; and no waiting a few seconds for the car that you just saw in your rear-view mirror to show up in your outside mirrors.

All three mirrors work in harmony with one another, and the blind spot has been eliminated!

.........Richard
  • Options
    junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    I changed the mirrors on both our Highlander and Camry about 6 months ago and would not have it any other way. It was a bit difficult to adjust to. but it has helped me on interstate driving.

I am sold on this idea!!!!!
  • Options
    gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    What mekes you believe the 05 Accord will have updated front & rear? I thought Honda waits until the 4th year of a 5 year run like Toyota?
  • Options
    lexusguylexusguy Member Posts: 6,419
    I've seen some pics of the new Toyota, I dont remember where exactly. The front end was significantly freshened, with larger, more angular lamps that looked... well kinda like the '05 RL. I'm sure if you Google it you'll find it.
  • Options
    Actually, I didnt think that the Accord would receive a freshening for the 2005 MY, but the Honda loyalists who typically know a bit more than I about Hondas (but are bit brash and sometimes arrogant to disagree with) contend that there will be minor revisions, based on a videoclip thats circulating the Internet.

~alpha
  • Options
    bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    You may have seen pictures of the updated Asian Camry (with the exception of the taillights minus the lights in the trunk lid, our Camry will look different)

new features/changes for the 05 Camry

- 5 speed auto for 4 cylinder models
    - VSC available for 4 cylinder models
    - larger, 17 inch alloys wheels and tires on at least SE V6 which resemble a machine-finish version of the Solaras 17 inch wheel (which has a shiny finish)
    - covered center console bin (as compared to open on current)
    - Optitron instrumentation on all models
    - new light clusters within current design style of headlights
    - new grille and front bumper
    - new light clusters within current design style of taillights
    - 3.3L V6 available on Camry LE and Camry XLE (as compared to just SE currently) We're not sure if the 3.3L for the LE,XLE will be available this year
    - new steering wheel design with audio controls
    - rear seat gets center headrest
    - cassette player removed (optional?)
    - HVAC/audio controls look different
    - new exterior colors (2 or 3)
    - Tire Pressure Warning System
    - slightly different luggage lid
    - XM Radio ??? (available now on the Camry Solara)
    - no HID headlights (expected on the 07 Camry)
  • Options
    The statements about an early refresh were based on a list of changes for 2005 that was apparently leaked from AH and posted briefly on the TOV site before being pulled at the request of AH.

Anyway, the list made mention of changes to the backup lights. At the same time, a video regarding the new AWD system on the upcoming RL included an Accord in the same design family as the current NA Accord with mods to the current full width taillights. So some Accord folks are assuming that the Accord in the video shows the updated taillights. Of course, that remains to be seen.

Hopefully that wasn't too brash and arrogant... you know how we Accord fans can be... ;)
  • Options
    markhootmarkhoot Member Posts: 23
    My Dad is buying a new car to replace his VW Passat that is killing him with repairs. He had a Camry previously and loved it, especially the reliability. He is torn between it and an Accord. Both are highly rated, but I see many more problems listed on this site in reference to the Accord than the Camry. Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Mark
  • Options
    snarkssnarks Member Posts: 207
    People only whine about their cars here not complment (human nature). Take that with a grain of salt. Lastly both cars are comparable in terms of reliability (very good) so he should choose what he likes more.