Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Nvbanker,

I agreed with you. I prefer Honda, which looks and performs more sportily than Camry.
  • vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Boomchek,

It's an ACCORD, a piece of so fine art and also a piece of highly sophisticated engineering.

Viet,
    The sporty guy who have owned and strongly loved every single knob of his 8 sporty Accord & Civic excluding a number of Honda motorcycles. Amen & Amen !
  • smythesmythe Member Posts: 10
    I have pretty good test data, at least for a 2006 Accord LE SE VS a 2007 Camry LE. Both I4 5sp AT.

My wife and I bought our cars about 2 weeks apart (the '07 camry was out, but the '07 Accord wasn't out yet). Mine is a 2007 Camry, and hers is a 2006 Accord. The honda was about $150 more expensive, but for the sake of comparison, they're the same price.

The bottom line is that the camry has lived at the dealer since purchase for:

Bad ECU (Replaced)
    Bad ECU software (multiple drivability issues, some severe)
    Interior trim falling apart (multiple areas)
    Leaking engine oil (severe)
    Blown struts at 30000 miles
    Flaking/stained paint
    Failed A/C fitting gasket (loss of refrigerant and oil)
    Alignment issues
    Dash scraping against windshield
    Door seals that don't touch the body at all in some places (leaks and wind noise)

I could go on for pages, and it's only at 36000 miles now.

In the same year and 8 months of ownership, the Accord has had:

Failed battery (replaced myself)
    Failed power window motor (replaced under warranty)

And she drives it in much harsher road conditions than I drive the Camry.

Toyota quality has really gone down hill as evidenced by some of the posts on Edmunds, my experience, the fact that Consumer Reports has dropped them from their "assumed reliable" list, and even on Yahoo Autos, my car gets 2.5 stars out of 5 and hers gets 4.5.

The only positive side of the Toyota experience is that the dealer has been EXCELLENT in their willingness to address the issues and fix them under warranty. The car itself has been TERRIBLE.

The Honda on the other hand has not only been reliable, but my wife LOVES it in terms of comfort, handling, etc.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Sounds like the Camry had some first-year jitters!

I have a 2006 Accord which has had minimal issues (none mechanical). My interior rear-view mirror wasn't attached properly to the housing (the glass vibrated as if it would fall out), and my gas-flap had a rubber piece that was slightly misaligned so that it wouldn't allow the flap to open on the first try. Both were fixed under warranty, at 500 miles (when I tried to pump gas and couldn't open the flap on my first fillup!). No issues since.

2006 Honda Accord EX 4-cyl 5AT, 32,000 miles.

TheGraduate
  • smythesmythe Member Posts: 10
    Yes, thegraduate, you bring up a good point. for the sake of fairness, I should point out that my Camry was one of the first off the line of the new generation (2007+). When I did my research, I read all the professional reviews which were glowing. The few consumer reviews that were available at the time were positive, but of course, people hadn't had them for very long. So let that be a lesson... Don't make the same mistake I did and buy a car early in a new generation of that model. You're just asking for trouble, as I did. Of course, the 2008's are pretty bad too, but I definitely compounded the problem by not waiting a little longer to purchase, and if I had waited a little longer, I would have seen the flood of negative reviews (especially xmission and related drivability issues) that hit the message boards after people had had them a couple months.
  • dolfan1dolfan1 Member Posts: 218
    I originally was set on getting a 07 Camry but "chickened out" after reading the problems & bought an 07 Accord instead. Have not regretted that choice at all.
    I haven't kept up with it but I was wondering whether or not Toyota fixed the tranny issues with the V6 08 Camry?
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    After reading this, even I would be afraid of a Camry! Yet, I just don't like the Accord's rougher ride and smaller seats and cabin. No doubt, the Accord is an excellent car. Wonder what the alternative would be for me - Nissan Altima? Not sure I trust Nissan. Hyundai Sonata maybe - they're really nice now, and the warranty is great.
  • kkohlkkohl Member Posts: 2
    What are the prices people are paying for :
    2009 Camry XLE V4
    Black
    Bisque Interior Leather
    Heated front seats
    Moon roof
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    ...Nissan Altima? Not sure I trust Nissan. Hyundai Sonata maybe...

Wow, you trust Hyundai over Nissan? :cry:
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    To answer your question, NO, Toyota has not yet fixed the transmission issues ("flaring"--spiking of the RPM's when changing gears) with the Camry. The 2007, 2008, and 2009 Camrys all still have the same transmission and software and it is very possible to still get one that has a "flare" more than 2 years after Toyota found out about the problem and has basically done nothing except give the run around. Believe me, it is very frustrating and it gets worse over time. Many users report having multiple transmission replacements and that doesn't work either.
  • packer3packer3 Member Posts: 277
    I drove both cars the Accord is a tighter riding car and the Camry is softer, but the Accord handles alot better, re check your interior specs you will find the Accord has a little more room than the Camry.
  • hp6130hp6130 Member Posts: 49
    Fitzmall is selling them for MSRP $28149, selling price $24582. Several weeks ago the price on this same car was 4 to 7 hundred dollars higher.
    Wow, you trust Hyundai over Nissan?

Welllllllllllllllllllllll, I know that sounds wierd....even to me. I have had some Infinitis in the past though, and as they aged over 80,000 miles, I had problems, leaks, noises from the engine...... Now, a Hyundai may do worse, so perhaps I should take back my comment. I should say, I trust Honda more than Nissan OR Hyundai, but the Accord "Feels" smaller inside, even if it isn't...... To me, anyway. :confuse:
    Man, that's amazing. I'll certainly be very cautious before considering a Toyota in the future.
  • bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I test drove the Camry lots before I purchased an Accord. I think what you are feeling in the interior volume is the very bolstered seats in the Honda. IMHO, they make the interior feel smaller because they really hug you into your seat. The Camry has much less contoured seats that allow you to wiggle and move more freely. Although I like the seats in the Honda, they are small enough and bolstered enough to give the car a less luxurious and more sporty feel. I think that makes for a nice test drive. But, frankly, I'm not sure that is what the majority of owners would prefer in the long-term.
    I think you nailed it!
  • furrycutefurrycute Member Posts: 33
    Have you guys looked at the crash test scores of the current generation Camry and Accord? The Camry is rated 5 out of 5 for both front and rear side impact. The accord is rated 5 out of 5 for front, but only 4 out of 5 for rear side impact.

Just in terms of safety, this kind of turns me away from the Accord.
    Just keep in mind that the stars don't indicate something like:

5-stars - ultimate safety
    1 star - certain death
    It's not quite like that. :)

The spread between a 4-star car and a 5-star car isn't going to be terribly drastic, is all I'm saying. If you are hit in a different spot or angle, one the Accord might would come out on top. When the discrepancy is so small as to say the difference is 5/5 and 5/4, I wouldn't let it sway me. I drive an old 4 star frontal car, and have been into a guardrail at decent speeds thanks to a truck which ran me off into it while on a bridge ( a nightmare scenario to me! ). I walked away unhurt, and had the car fixed.
    Agreed. Every accident has an infinite potential for variables - and you can walk away from any of them, or die in a freak case of very bad luck, in a Volvo. All of todays cars, the very worst rated among them, are infinitely safer than cars even 10 years old today. IMO, either car is quite safe for a car - and good driving is your best crash rating option anyway.
  • jezzjezz Member Posts: 6
    We need to buy a car within the next 6-8 weeks and very unsure what car to buy. 4 cyl vs 6. My car is the Lexus rx350 which we love and keeping.
    Need help with pro and cons of 2008 Accords vs waiting a month for 09 Honda vs the camry 09. Also pricing, Many thanks
  • sparklandsparkland Member Posts: 120
    Much of my recommendation just comes from what I have read on this board.

As far as mpg, get a 2007 Accord. They get 4 mpg better than the 2008 Accord.

As far as v6 or i4- both cars are great. Some have complained about the cylinder management on the the v6. Also many have complained about the lights dimming when the alternator starts on the i4.

The leather seats on the v6 and i4 are very uncomfortable in the Accord. The lumber support is too hard.

The deals will be on the 2008's on either the Camry or the Accord.

Sorry, I cannot help on the pricing.

Just make sure you test drive in the daytime and at night. Go on the highway for an extended drive so you can feel the cylinder management on the v6.

Brad :shades:

Brad
    First of all, simply drive them. The 09 Accord will be very similar to the 08, if not identical to it.

I'd suggest driving a 4-cylinder Accord and Camry. If the power is plenty for you, then you have narrowed your decision down to two basic cars. The 4-cylinder Accord EX will be quicker than a 4-cylinder Camry, but the Camry will likely drive more like your Lexus, while the Accord is much sportier and fun to drive.

I wouldn't write-off ANYTHING based on what me or anyone else says before driving the cars you are interested in and forming your own opinion. My definition of sporty may equal uncomfortable for one person, and too boring/not sporty enough to another person.

Best of luck in the hunt, and keep us posted.
  • james108james108 Member Posts: 34
    I just got a 2009 Camry V6. For more than 1000 mi, I do not notice any problem in the tranny. I did not hear or read any post that says the problem on 2009 Camry. The price of Camry could be 3-4K less than the comparable Accord when I shopped.
    Same for me. I was a Honda/BMW folk 10 years ago. Now, I'm more of Toyota/Lexus type of person though I still love my BMW better than Lexus.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    I still love my BMW better than Lexus.

Which bmw?

Is the accord better or the camry?
  • defcarpenterdefcarpenter Member Posts: 18
    Hi, I need some help in deciding between the Camry and the Accord. I got pretty similar quotes for both vehicles. I was quoted $19,950 for the Camry LE, and $19,550 for the Accord LX (the Honda dealer gave us a $250 discount for being a repeat customer, as we bought a 2008 Honda Odyssey in June. This new purchase for my husband was totally unexpected as a mechanic goofed on an oil change, which blew the engine on his 2000 Toyota Camry. Their insurance totalled our car, so now we are stuck trying to find a replacement). Both cars seem like excellent vehicles, so I guess that it is just a matter of preference. I think that my husband is leaning toward the Camry, and I am leaning toward the Accord. To me, the Accord seems like a more comfortable drive, with better visability and instrumentation. Any imput, suggestions, etc. By the way, we are shopping in Memphis, TN. Thanks for your help! Dawn
  • lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    We've been in exactly same situation last week. After going back and forth between Accord and and Camry for my wife we ended up with 09 Camry LE I4 (My wife used to drive 6 gen Accord I4 LX and loved it). After driving new Accord we didn't like at all, I can't understand why it needed to grow bigger and less fuel efficient. Did Honda marketing assume that we'll grow couple inches in width since last Accord purchase? I rented a Camry back in 2007 on a business trip and didn't like it at all. 2009 model while the same generation as 2007 drives very differently, feels very refined and we happy with the purchase so far. You should be able to buy a 09 I4 Camry LE for around $19K with all fees but before tax (there is a $500 rebate from Toyota). I've read that people in GA and CA get it for a little over $18K but this is all regional, go to the "prices paid" thread
    Is it my imagination or did Toyota "hone down" the bulbous front end of the Camry since the newest generation was introduced in 2006?
    BMW/Honda is more fun to drive and Lexus/Toyota is more comfortable to ride. One has been like a toy and another is more like a good appliance to me. So far, my B 7 has been both fun and comfortable. Recently, we just bought a camry v6 for our daily commute. It's an excellent value for the price. I really enjoyed my Honda CRX 15 years back as well. For me, Honda Civic is better than Corola, but the Accord is not necessary better than Camry especially for the V6. The price for Accord is now too high comparing with Camry's.
    Yes, Hondas have become very expensive of late - but the market is still supporting it.
    The price difference is 2-3k for the V6. Camry is cheaper.
  • ashwinkumar96ashwinkumar96 Member Posts: 21
    I am planning to purchase a new car and I am sort of confused either to choose camry or accord. Both have got the same features , price etc. I am looking at Accord EX Vs Camry SE. I have heard that seats in Accord are very uncomfortable, how far is it true? Is it very very uncomfortable. Also comapring the HP, its 155 for camry Vs 192 for Accord. I am planning to add in the package which includes moonroof etc in camry and inspite of that the price comes almost the same. Kindly help me in arriving at a decision.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Wow, you sound like me when it comes to picking a car..lol. :)

You simply have to go and drive them both. Look at both of the seats, see what options there are to give you the best comfort. Push the engine to see which suits you, both engines are really good. After all they are both, Camry and Accord, you going to get a decent car anyway.

The dealer should not have a problem letting you take the car out, and feel the seat out. It is a matter of preference, Honda is going to have a firmer seat, firmer ride. The Camry is going to be more quiet and less firm on the road., SE is firmer though than the other camry trims. You really can't go wrong with either, but just ask which puts a bigger smile on your face, which car can you see driving, and getting comfortable in.

Take both cars out, drive them, then I would just make a choice, they are both great cars. I don't think you'll miss any one thing if you pick either of them.
    As bvd suggested, it's important to do an extended test drive on both cars. The SE has very different handling from it's other Camry siblings (firmer suspension, etc designed for better handling). Some folks who like soft, comfortable rides have found the SE to be too rigid, I assume you've done your homework and understand the difference, hence, you may want the sporty handling. Honda's seem to seek to strike a balance between the two. Personally I think the SE is the best looking model in the Camry lineup. Let us know what you decide.
    I've responded to you in one of the many place you have posted this message, but I can't find where it was, so I won't bother posting again. Just check on your previous posts and you may find it.
    My drive of an SE and LE Camry (both 2007, V6) showed that the SE is definitely firmer, but isn't any more communicative with the steering than its LE brother.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I've asked the poster to continue here.
    I saw that after posting; I just wanted them to find my other long, in-depth post. I just couldn't find it to link them. :)
  • aaung88aaung88 Member Posts: 1
    I did a lot of research about 6 weeks and finally I picked up Camry SE 2009 for my wife. I have Honda Accord EX 2005 also. At the first I decided to buy 09 Accord EX because of I have one and I did test drive on both 09 Accord EX and 09 Camry SE 6 times on 3 dealers. Accord EX feels strong but not comfortable. Especially driver seats are totally uncomfortable. When I drove on highway about 65, 70 miles per hr the noise level is really unacceptable. Camry SE has different feeling w/ other LE model also. SE is smooth and interior is nice, sporty and quiet. I added Traction Control and other extra stuffs and JBL 6 CD player with Bluetooth and sunroof. I want Honda EX but I’m not satisfied and finally happy w/ SE.
  • keitha3keitha3 Member Posts: 124
    Congratulations, you did what was right. You test drove both a few times, deliberated, then made the right decision for you and your wife.
  • ashwinkumar96ashwinkumar96 Member Posts: 21
    I heard that it has Active Noise Cancellation which is effective. It failed to eliminate the noise is it?
  • stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    End your misery by buying a 09 Accord Sdn EXL V-6. Workmanship on Accord much, much better then any Toyota.
  • atb2atb2 Member Posts: 30
    I will mostly agree with that. I checked out the '08 Accord and '09 Camry (I4 auto) earlier this year before buying. Pros for the Accord are fit and finish, handling and better steering feel. Cons included overall under the hood design/layout, low speed engine vibration and the ride was too firm. Both V6's were very smooth, but that was not in the budget. I ended up buying the Camry because I "fit" in it better and the ride was more compliant.
  • stripe1stripe1 Member Posts: 72
    atb2: I know what you mean by ride too firm. I like a firm ride. The Camry remind's me of a 98 Buick Lesabre Limited that I purchase new. The ride was cushey, and soft. When riding the Parkway the floating was very prevalent. Also, I prefer the 6cyl over a 4cyl. I recently purchase an 08 Acura TL w/navigation. It's a great car, but sporty. It's red in color which you don't see many of that color on the highway. However, I've finally realize that I'm to old for a sport car. I've got 1900 miles on the car, and I'm thinking about selling it, and buying a 09 Accord EX L Sdn V-6.
    I totally agree with you - the HOnda may be better in many ways, I'm not sure, but the ride is stiff, the steering is hard, and it's cramped. I'm just much more comfy in the Camry.
  • hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    I own an 06 Accord LX and my g/f an 04 EX V6. Neither have ever been modified, but have annoying rattles. I usually just turn the music up to cancel the rattles, but this has me wondering if the Camry has the same problems.

I rented an 07 or 08 Malibu back in October which was really quiet even when I tried to hit the small bumps and rougher part of the pavement. I rode in a friend's 07 F150 which rode very nice and did not have any rattles.

Maybe Honda has worked this out with the 08's+. I will have to research this. I used to be all about Honda, but may switch over (not to Chevy, sorry) if the Camry shows to have better build quality. :confuse:
  • accordhunteraccordhunter Member Posts: 24
    James, it has been 7 months after you posted the transmission issue, is it still OK? any other problem with 2009 Camry V6? Thanks.
    Oh, I've not visited this site for a while. My Camry v6 has been running well. The squeezing sound is actually coming from the panel when the car is cold. I think I was expecting the Lexus quietness from the camry v6, but I think it's acceptable for a great car at this price level. I'm very happy so far.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    It comes down to that age old argument... If you're looking for a comfortable car with a sofa like ride while having the personality of Ben Stein in Ferris Bueller's day off, you buy the Camry.

If you're wanting a car that isn't quite as cushy but actually has some driving enjoyment with better build quality, you buy the Accord.