Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I'm hoping there is a K&N filter for the Ecotec. Some quick HP right there.

Running into a little snag as the dealer says I can't use the Olds credit and the upgrade credit together on the Alero. I called GM Canada today and they said there should be no problem and they could be used together. Ugg! Anyway, I'm scheduled to pick up the car on April 29th, just waiting for a final verdict on this credit issue.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    seems to me you can do what GM Canada says. Thje dealer most likely either doesn't know that or is trying to scam.
    Actually the dealer just doesn't want to get charged back the $1000 if they give it to me and shouldn't have. The regional manager says no, but the CSR at GM says no problem. Not sure who to believe. It's in the dealer's interest to have me get it. Costs them nothing and it could cost them a sale if I don't get it.
  • cpwingnutcpwingnut Member Posts: 49
    Sorry to hear about your snag. There shouldn't be a problem though. If I remember correctly it says right on the coupon that it can be combined with other offers and/or specials. They are corporate discounts that the dealer gets credit for so if GM Canada says its ok then there should be no problem.

As for the K&N. I haven't tried getting one yet(waiting till I need to change original). It should be no problem though. If there is no listing for A 2.2L Alero yet at your local store, I'm sure its a standard GM dimention that you can probably match up. Just call the dealer parts department and ask what other cars use the same filter part #.

Is there a website for rsm racing? Or perhaps a location close to Toronto?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    RSM
  • shocquaddshocquadd Member Posts: 1
    K&N Products manufactures a "filter/charger" for this ubiquitous motor. The part number is 33-2160.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    I promised a friend to check this site for him regarding his Alero. He and his wife were excited to get their car 5 months ago but the problem is they never get to drive it. They love the way it handles, when it starts, but it is always in the shop 7 times in five months.
    GM tells them that is what the warranty is for but that is not a comfort.

Consumer report now rates the 'oo' and '01' Alero lowest in dependability and and resale.

Does my friend just have a lemon? Example of problems:
    Mirror doesn't adjust, it gets fixed, then the mirror falls off when they get it back.
    It is so bad that they have contacted an attorney. They don't expect these problems from a new vehicle or that reaction from GM.

Good luck with your Aleros.
    yellowdr : Sounds like a possible lemon. Alero has very average reliability (not sure what you read) and these items you mention sound to be partly incompetence on the part of the dealer to fix the car properly. My mom's Alero has been nearly flawless in 3 years aside from a sticky door.

cpwingnut : It's actually a line in a policy book that states one can never use two credit coupons together on one car. We have time to sort it all out as I don't take delivery for another week.
    Sorry to hear about your friends Alero problems. I have read previous posts about hard starts, but they seem to be the older models. The 2.2L ecotec seems to be a good upgrade this year. Is your friends car a 4 or 6cyl?

Dindak was right about the mirror, it sounds like dealer incompetantcy. I hope things get better for them.

Dindak, that seems weird. If you can't combine discounts, why can people use their GM Visa points? Besides, if GM Canada said it was ok, just get them to fax you it in writing before you go in to the dealer. Then if he still tries to squirm out of it, you can show it to him.

A friend of mine who recently bought a new car had a GM suppliers discount coupon and used it plus the olds loyalty coupon and his GM Visa points. Thats three discounts?

Good luck next week!
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Unfortunately, your friend's car sounds like a lemon. We bought a 2000 Alero (used), and are really enjoying this car. We've had only two problems: a tire puncture after running over a screw (obviously not the result of any defect in the car), and the plastic button on the gear shift handle broke off (this was under warranty, and the entire assembly was replaced free-of-charge). Other than those two things, our Alero has been trouble-free, and we love it. I'm sorry to hear your friend and his wife are having so much trouble with theirs.

Someone else on another bulletin board I post to has had multiple problems with her Alero, and she's not had much satisfaction getting these things repaired by her dealer. On the other hand, our experience with our local GM service centre has been excellent. So I guess it depends on the car, and who you're dealing with.
    It's the actual $$ coupons off that can't be combined. GMO / GM Visa points are not actual coupons for $$ off the price. GM Canada CSR said she could not fax the info to me, but told me to tell the dealer to call her. That's what I did. Hopefully this will all be cleared up Monday.
  • yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    I will pass on info to my friend and thanks.
  • machine23machine23 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 99 Alero GLS and my front tire was low so the Low Tire Pressure light came on, I filled up my tire and the light is still on, do I have to bring it back to the shop or should it have turned off, or is there something I can do?
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    This happened to us recently after I ran over a screw and punctured the rear driver's side tire. The light won't go off until you reset it.

There should be instructions in your owner's manual for resetting the tire pressure monitor system (in ours, the instructions are toward the end of the booklet). The reset button is located inside the driver's side instrument fuse panel. Press and release the reset button, and the warning light should go off.
  • machine23machine23 Member Posts: 3
    Good Advice that worked Great, Thanks.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    Since buying my 2002 Alero (GX sedan, 2.2 5 speed), I have been unimpressed with my gas mileage. I do not drive it much, and only have 1700 miles since Jan. 2. Since then I have gotten between 24-27MPG in mixed driving.

I was unsure if the engine needed a break in period, since there never was a difference with my past new vehicles.

However, last night I filled up and got 32MPG in mixed driving. That is more like it!

I read somewhere else that the Alero mileage improves after a few thousand miles...something to look forward to! Anybody else have a similar story?
    I was very dissapointed with my mileage at first too. I wanted to take my Alero back to the dealer for a refund the mileage was so bad. I had them do a compression test and check the computer to make sure there was nothing wrong. They assured me that everything was ok and two weeks later the mileage started to get better.

It took about 5 tanks full to get better and is now averaging very close to the advertised mileage after about 8-9 tanks. But I have to admit that now that the break in is complete, I am driving it with a little more zip than before. I could probably get better mileage if I was more careful. Yeah right!!! this car is too much fun to drive slow.

Dont give up jpelder, it does get better.

Hey dindak, Wheres the new GX? Got it yet? Details!
    Get the car Monday night. Was officially denied the $1000 upgrade credit but it's still a great deal on a great car so the deal stays. I will appeal to GM head office separately as it's not the dealer's fault.

As for gas mileage, it was also awful on our Intrigue for the first 5-6 filups. I know it's a different motor, but I remember being horrified by the numbers. All of a sudden though, the mileage got better and is still right on the posted numbers.
  • bill731bill731 Member Posts: 16
    I have the Alero twin sister,A Grand Am SE1 with the Ecotec engine and 5 speed stick. About 2,200 miles driven. Gas mileage has been GREAT from the start.

Fill up # 1 = 30.5 MPG. Then I set tire Pres. at 33 Lbs.
    Fill up # 2 = 34.59 MPG
    Fill up # 3 = 32.78 MPG
    Fill up # 4 = 34.01 MPG
    Fill up # 5 = 32.77 MPG
    Fill up # 6 = 37.54 MPG

My dealer is giving first oil & filter change free. I think I will have it done soon and will watch how they do the filter change,then do it my self after that.

I REALLY like this engine and Trans.Combo.

Bill
    I too am really impressed with the engine, 5-speed combination.

Was that mileage from highway, city or mixed driving?

My front tires look a little low on air, but tire pressure measures right at 34PSI.
  • bill731bill731 Member Posts: 16
    We live in southwestern Wisconsin. Lots of hills and valleys but very little stop and go driving. Most of our trips are 10 miles one way with a 50 mile trip to Madison once or twice each tank full.

I would like to have gotten an Alero instead of the Grand Am but my better half wanted CHROME wheels and they were available with an Opt.package on the GA.

Oh well!! I got the powertrain I was after.

Bill
  • mclousermclouser Member Posts: 1
    I'm just wondering how many others are having the shaking mirror problem. My 2002 Alero has been in 3 times for this problem and it still shakes just like when it was new. They have replaced the glass/motor asssembly, and the entire mirror. The serivce manager says that this mirror is unique to GrandAm and Alero, and that it also comes from a different supplier than other mirrors.
    Well after a long 2 week wait I finally picked up our new ruby red Alero GX with automatic. Papers were ready to go and we were on our way in about 1/2 hour which was great.

So far everything looks good. Really like the RDS stereo and the 6 speaker sound is really good for a base model. The Ecotec engine / transmission combo is very good also but I didn't want to push too hard until the first 1000 kms pass.

I think we will really like this car. Great looks, performance and quality at a bargain price.
    Congrats Dindak. Don't tell me you are going to let your wife drive it?

I agree it is a great car. For all you hear about poor fit and finish of american cars, my 2002 was right on the money. However, I did notice that the hood casters were not adjusted.

I was looking at the engine, and when I closed the hood, I could still rattle it. Funny thing was, the hood fit perfect in height and panel gap without the rubber casters being adjusted. I just snugged them up and all was fine.
    The only fit and finish issue I can see is the center stack which seems to have some misaligned pieces at the bottom where the storage area is. Maybe it's suppose to be like this, but it seems odd. Is your's like this?

Car is solid though, drove it on some very rough roads this morning and not one squeak or rattle.

Question : Anyone know if there is an after market or GM keyless entry system that can be installed? If it's not too much, I may consider it.
    I too noticed the center stack alignment. I think it is supposed to look that way, because if you look, the size and dimensions are such that they can't align. I tried to push the pieces to see if they would align and were just warped, but it was not so.

I had the dealer add keyless for $225. It operates the doors, panic alarm and trunk. $225 was a bit high, but I didn't feel like shopping around, and the dealer installation ensures warranty coverage.
    $225 huh? So it would probably be around C$300 up here. I will call the local dealer and see what they can do for me. No big rush I suppose.

Also thinking about aluminum wheels, but I will hold off until I find some I like. Maybe I will call the wreckers and see if they have some used stock wheels.
    Geez dindak, you should have opted for the 5 speed and sport package...you'd have aluminum wheels, a little leather, and spoiler for $1200 less! I know, gotta have the automatic tranny.

I have seen aluminum wheels on Ebay for the Alero from time to time for around $300. Most of the time, the sellers traded up to 16" chrome.

FYI, I had Keyless installed on a new caravan in '98 for $125 at a stereo shop. It was just as good as the factory model.
    You can't get the sport package on the GX here. Only on the GL. Besides, I needed the automatic for the wife.

I will monitor the e-bay situation. Shipping might be expensive on big items like that though!

K
  • gregkilliangregkillian Member Posts: 31
    Has anyone had a problem w/ engine hesitation or bucking? My '01 2.4/5sp started doing this recently when the engine is under load...generally in 3rd gear or higher. The dealer reprogrammed the chip and told me it was fixed, but lo and behold, it isn't.
    Glad you finally got it. I have been happy with the auto & 2.2 combo too except for one thing. At highway speed(120km/h) I notice it downshifts very easily. I have to talk to the dealer and see if the kickdown can be adjusted. It is very sensitive and can be a bit anoying. All I have to do is hit a small bump in the highway and it downshifts out of O/D. Anyone else experience this problem?

As for the Keyless, you can go to tint king, zeibart, or any local car audio store and get a remote starter installed for between $2-300. They have a built in keyless button and can also get the keyless trunk too with the 3 button remotes. If you are handy you could install one yourself as they are available at Canadian Tire. ($100 for delux or $150 w/alarm)

Or you could get just an alarm with keyless entry installed @ futureshop for $199 and up. But unless you have a garage, Its nice to have the remote starter for those winter mornings.

That stereo is pretty good too. I liked the info button. But it seems that the few stations that have the service(edge 102, y108, etc.)seem to use it for advertising alot. At first it was giving the song and artist but is now displaying weather info and a few advertisements.

I'll keep my eyes open for rims for you. I am looking to get aftermarket rims but I want to keep my factory 16" ones for winter tires.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    Congrats on your purchase!!!!!! I was beginning to think you would never buy a car.

Talk to your salesman abou tthe Keyless remote. He may be willing to do it at his cost for you.
    dtownfb : I think I spent way more time looking at the car and truck options than any sane person should. I'm glad it's finally done and I'm very happy with the Alero so far. Great car at an unbelievably good price.

cpwingnut : Our Alero does not do that on the highway, sounds like you need an adjustment on the transmission. I've had the car on the QEW three times doing 130+ and it's been flawless. I will check out all the options, but my first choice would be a GM Delco keyless for warranty purposes. We have a 2 car garage so I don't need the starter. Let me know if you find some rims.
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    I have a 2000 ALero GL 6 cylinder. I went to replace the wiper blades. The book in the auto store said to use 17 inch narrow on the passenger side and 22 inch regular on the drivers side. Passenger side replacement fits fine. Problem is that the 22 inch regulars are too wide and don't fit into the wipers. I put 22 inch narrows in and they look to be a bit too narrow and loose. I'm afraid that if I use the wipers then the blades will pop out and I'll have a real mess. Has anyone else noticed this? What is the solution?

Thanks
  • 01alero7601alero76 Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone,

Thanks for the help on the scratched window posts. Oldsman, I'm with you on the Intrigue. The "shortstar" engine is a gem and if Olds had made an Intrigue coupe I would've scooped it up in a heartbeat.
    Anyway, the delay in my writing back is because I just moved from California to Florida. I wanted to ship my car, not drive it accross the country battling truckers on our clogged and dangerous interstates. So, I basically went online, found a place and decided to go with them. Until I logged onto epinions.com and saw over a dozen negative reviews of this organization. Whoops! Called em back and said "uh, actually I'm not moving after all, thanks anyway."
    So, then I decided to go with the creme de la creme of automotive transporters, Intercity Lines (www.intercitylines.com). These guys are more expensive but they are totally the best. They only do enclosed transports and people ship their multi-million dollar one-of-a-kind cars with them. When they came for the Alero, there was a Ferrari 550 with 600 miles on it already loaded in the truck. Not only is it enclosed but they put not one, but 2 covers over your car inside the trailer to guarantee you'll get your car back in the same condition you gave it to them in.
    So, if anyone ever is considering shipping your car, these guys are highly recommended. You get what you pay for with auto shipping, and I was happy to pay a bit more for total peace of mind. Shipping your baby is stressful, especially if dealing with an unknown quantity. And compared to other quotes for an enclosed transport from CA to FL, they actually weren't more expensive at all. Just wanted to let you guys know in case you ever need this kind of service.
    Interesting story. I really know nothing about shipping a car. I doubt I would ever do it though as I love driving, even on busy interstate highways.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I said from day one Olds should have built a coupe version of the Intrigue and called it the Cutlass Supreme as all proper Supremes were coupes anyway.
    Well I have been driving the Alero for a week now and my wife has been driving our Intrigue. So far I'm really impressed with the car over all.

Things I like are : 2.2L Ecotec (amazing engine), smooth auto transmission, great 4 wheel discs, solid build and good stereo sound from a base system, RDS feature is cool!

Quibbles : The uneven sides of the center stack, stiff window crank (I will have them adjust this), small pre-set buttons on the stereo and small glove box.

I also think the trunk could have a more solid thunk to it when closed, but it's fine.
    I actually was impressed with the size of the glove box. It threw me for a loop at first, because it appears small when you look at the storage in the lid, but the actual cavity in the dash is pretty deep. I also like how things cannot fall out of the open glove box.

I agree about the trunk thunk! Then again, it's better than the Toyota I will get stuck renting again this week in NC.
    The glove box may have some space, but it's not as useable as I would like. The plastic folder from the dealership with all the car's books doesn't even fit properly. Our Cavalier had a better glove box so I was disappointed with this one. Not a big deal really.

Took a co-worker out for lunch today and he was surprised how nice it was for the price. He drives a fairly loaded Corolla and didn't pay a whole lot less than I did.
    The Alero glove box threw me for a loop at first too. I couldn't fit my manual in it either until I had some waiting time at a really long red light and discovered the extra compartment behind it. Different, but cool. It seems that a lot of cars are sacrificing glove box space to accommodate the passenger air bag. The Alero seems to have found a way around it. Its still not huge, but adequate for holding necessities(manual, maps, flashlight, etc.)
  • crisiuliacrisiulia Member Posts: 1
    Hi buddy,

I have a similar problem w/ temperature gauge on my 88 Olds.
    Did you find out the answer?
    I know that normal operating temperature is 195F.
    I noticed that it is going as high as 220(in the city) but then drops. On the highway is below 200 always, except when I'm stuck in trafic.
  • mfrahmmfrahm Member Posts: 3
    I bought my 99 Alero GLS in October of 1999 with 14,000 miles on it. After regular maintenance and no troubles since then, my car has developed two problems:

1) Average mileage dropped recently from the mid to upper 20s down to the low 20s. I used to get easily over 300 miles per tank of gas, but now I get about 260.

2) A coolant leak, which apparently means I have a bad head gasket. Estimated cost to repair: $1,300. Evidently this may be related to the corrosive nature of Dex-Cool.

Has anyone else here experienced either of the above problems with the 3.4L V6?
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    Just bolted a class II 1 1/4 inch receiver on.

4 bolts but 2 holes near bumper need to be enlarged to 1/2 inch. The one on the muffler side has to be done special. Needed an extension on the twist bit to drill from the behind the car at a slight angle.

The trailer hitch was installed to hold a bike rack. Hitch cost - $130 Online its cheaper but couldn't wait (works for Grand Ams also)
    I noticed Monday after a day in the hot sun that there was a small bump showing under the center storage area top. Does anyone else have that? It's not very noticeable but I'm am just wondering if it will get worse?

Gas mileage seems bad so far, I will fill up in the next day or two and figure out where I'm at. Only 350km on the car so far.
    Filled up at lunch today.

First tank converts to 21.5 MPG. Mostly city driving, but that bad. Hope it gets better!
    My first tank got only about 380km but i noticed it only took 44 liters to fill and the gas tank is actualy 53l. so I know that when my needle is in the red I still have 9l left in the tank. Is yours like that too? Its anoying because you feel like your not getting good mileage but your not using all the fuel in the tank either. I'm getting over 450 km/tank now in mixed driving so just be patient.
    Where exactly is the bump Dindak...on the dash?
    jpelder : No, the top of the center storage area between the seats. You can feel it by touch but it can not be seen very easy unless you look. Maybe it's suppose to be like this?

cpwingnut : Ya, I only had about 360 kms at fill up. Wasn't quite on empty but I wanted to beat the price increase this afternoon. I'm sure it will get better.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    the coolant leak is a 'common' problem with the GM small block V6 engines. The corrosive nature of the coolant is not the problem. IF this were the case, every engine that GM produce that uses Dex-Cool would have this problem. It has more to do with the cast iron body and aluminum head contracting and expanding at different rates and temperatures. There used to be a Forum on this topic. NOt sure if it is still active.

Surprised it cost you that much for this repair. ON the Malibu board(3.1L V6), the range for this repair is $550-$900. There could be factors that I am not aware of.