Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• jxs81jxs81 Member Posts: 26
    I'll probably wait after fixing the car again. The check engin light went on for the third time with only 1100 miles on it!!
  • tb88tb88 Member Posts: 242
    The check engine light comes on, after filling up the tank, if the cap is not turned until it clicks a few "clicks".
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    "PS. I have been reading about your posts about Zaino... I am not a big fan of Waxing... I thought the clear coat paint used nowadays doesn't need any of that! Am I wrong?"

I am no expert on car finishes. However, I do understand that all finishes need to be protcted from the sun, oxidation, etc.

Zaino is not a wax -- it is a polish. You do not buff it, only apply it and wipe it off when dry. Zaino recommends that you have as little contact as possible with your car's finish when washing, etc., and to use 100% cotton American-made towels.

The reason I like Zaino is because it that makes my car look great and apparently offers the highest level of paint protection from the air and sun. It is easy to apply and is supposed to last 6 months -- I don't know, because I apply a new coat every 2 - 3 months to increase the gloss level!
    My 2001 elantra has the check engine lights went on for 3 times (at 300, 800 and 1100 miles!). I've contacted the attorney general's office, and I was advised to contact BBB AUTO LINE for arbitration if they fail to fix it again (which might be a couple of weeks away, based on my experience).

Does anyone know what could I get from the arbitration? What should I prepare for it except all the documentation of repairs? My car did not show any other symptom in addition to the check engine light, so what I have are the paperworks of repair.

Any advice will be highly appreciated.
    My limited understanding of the arbitration process for the "lemon law" is that, if they can't fix it after 3 attempts, they have to replace the car as it is now a "lemon". However, the complaint must be serious enough (in the eyes of the Arbitration Board?) to warrant replacement. I don't know about the BBB Auto Line...

I'm not sure the check engine light is serious enough to warrant replacement, though. Make sure you document your visits to the service department and good luck!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I agree with what others have said. My sister just had her 00 Honda Odyssey replaced with a new 01 after fighting Honda for a year. She had a long list of major problems with her van. The engine light coming on 3 times does not constitute a big enough deal in an arbitrator's mind. Did the light come on for the exact same reason each time or was it for different problems? If it was the latter, than you definitely have no case. Even if it was the former, you only have a very slim case at best. But again, since you indicate no major malfunction of the car itself, there really is nothing you can do at this time. I wish you luck!
  • jiikenjiiken Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new 2001 Elantra GLS 3 weeks ago and have put about 1200 miles on it. So far the car is great and people are amazed at all the features is has, and the A/C works amazingly well. The 15" rims give the car a very smooth ride, better than the Honda Civic in my opinion. I test drove alot of cars before deciding on the Elantra, and to me it seemed the best car in its class. The interior has a surprising amount of room with rear cupholders even and the seats are very comfortable. It even has top of the line Michelin A/A tires on it. No complaints whatsoever here, I am very happy with my purchase. For the money you cannot go wrong.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    you must speak with forked tounge, not lngtonge. NiggaGee knows that Hondas are wonderful and Hyundais are crap. Why else would their logo be bent?

As I write this, if you look in the Maintenance forum you'll see 821 entries under Honda Accord Quality Control Issues, 353 entries under Honda Civic Problems, and 123 entries under Honda Civic Quality Control Issues. Why is that, Mr. NiggaGee?
  • steveb70steveb70 Member Posts: 15
    Even though I don't own an Elantra yet, I have to come to Hyundai's defense. The check engine light can surface on any car. Just visit the "Check Engine Light" forum under Maintenance and Repairs. 540+ posts, including one from me regarding my Corsica.

I'm not excusing a dealer who can't seem to get the light to come off (because I agree, that's wrong), but it's not just Hyundai-made cars that can have this issue.

To the person who is having problems with the light coming on the '01 Elantra, and as someone else pointed out, check the gas cap for three clicks and make sure you aren't "topping" the tank off. If these approaches don't fix the problem, I'd keep taking the car back to the dealer until they fix it.

Steve
    There is no way any sound mind will agree to use the "lemon law", because the engine light keeps coming on for the third time !!!!
    If the engine light comes on, the owner should try to remember if that happened after filling up the gas tank ... if it was overfilled... if the gas cap was turned until it clicked a few times!

If one doesn't remember and the car runs otherwise normally (sound/rpm/shifting,temp...), then it is not much to worry about, but it needs fixing!

In Hyundai's manual they warn (in yellow) on PAGE 1.1:

"WARNING:
    * Do not "TOP-OFF" after the first nozzle shut off when refueling.
    * The fuel cap must be tightened at least 3 clicks, otherwise " " light may illuminate."

Also somewhere else , they warn about cellular phone installation which might also cause "serious problems" / interference to the computer on board.

> > By the way, tb88, The 2002's must be close to the docks -- > >

I don't know if it was a good thing I didn't wait for the 2002... because I read a review which was not very flattering about the new "shiftronic tansmission":
    "All Sonatas receive a new 4-speed shiftronic transmission which permits manual shifting as well as automatic shifts. The incredibly smooth shifting transmission of the previous Sonata would be hard to beat and my first impression is that the shiftronic isn't quite as smooth in automatic mode, but nevertheless an excellent transmission. And manual shifts were a bit lazy."

I think I will try Zaino, if it does't require too much work to apply... but the problem is which one? they list several products! Also how much (oz) do you need?

• baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    I have never had the engine light go on with our 99 Elantra, but I have had the check engine light go on in my 99 Accent twice. Both times just after I overfilled the tank when I tried to top off the tank. The check engine light came on a few hours after I over filled the tank both times. I ended up resetting the check engine lamp by pulling the fuse marked ECC (engine computer?), and then reinstalling the fuse. This reset the computer that controls the engine. In both cases the check engine light went off and stayed off. Since then I never top off my tank when refueling, I always stop when the pump stops and make sure the cap is reinstalled tightly.
    I was told by the tech that if it's on and glowing steady it's no big thing. If it flashes THEN it's serious.
    The new "shiftronic transmission" is on the 2002, right? Since the review was not very flattering, it looks like you made the right decision in purchasing a 2001, especially since the review was favourable for the 2001 transmission. I have "autostick" on my 300M -- it's not much more than a novelty, but it comes in handy on twisting mountain roads.

Re Zaino -- the only products you need are the base (I think that's Z-1) to prepare the car's finish for the polish application ( I think it's Z-2 or Z-5, depending on clearcoat or regular paint). I also use their car wash concentrate.

The base and the polish go on very lightly with their applicator. You can put on as many coats of the polish as you want -- each coat increases the gloss. You should probably get 12-15 coats from one bottle -- probably enough for 3 years or more. I have never removed an old application, just put on another coat.

Read the info on their web site, they give you many helpful hints!

BTW, I agree that the "check engine" light is not worthy of lemon law arbitration, but it can be very frustrating. In virtually every manual, they fail to indicate what the problem could be, and just tell you to have the vehicle serviced. However, it can be a more serious problem with emmisions control, etc. I had an '89 Chevy Caprice that gave me these warnings just before the catalytic converter seized and had to be replaced. It was out of warrannty and expensive!
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    My engine light came on about 3 times. Everytime I call the dealership to call for an appointment, it goes out! However, the third time that it did this, I still brought it in. Turns out it had a stored code that showed that the oxygen sensor was bad. Kept working and then not working. Thats what made the light go on and off. All fixed now..under warranty. Not a big deal.
    I brought the car in today, and I was told the gas cap was loose. That's a kind of surprising because I did remember to get it click at least three times. And I filled the gas over a week ago. Maybe the cap can get loose by itself after some driving? Anyway, I'll try the gas cap first next time.

As to arbitration, I'll just forget it for now. Never thought it'd be easy. Just a kind of encouraged by the attorney from attorney general's office. He did say I can apply if it happened the fourth time. Thanks for all the kind advice.
  • danv4danv4 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2001 5 speed manual Elantra.Does anyone have an opinion on which octane to use?I have heard that higher octane is not good, but wonder why they would make it if it is not good??So far I have 400 miles and have loved every one ! no shimmy, no engine light , just a nice smooth ride. I am hoping to get better mileage soon, right now I am averaging 27, mostly highway, but was hoping for more around 33
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    Premium grade fuel is PERFECT for cars that require it. It is not by any means no good as you put it.

Read what the owner manual recomends and use it.
  • danv4danv4 Member Posts: 2
    Well my manual says 87 or higher
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    The Elantra engine is equipped with a knock sensor that automaticaly adjusts the timing of the engine to the octane rating of the gas being used. This way the Elantra can take advantage of high octane gas with increased engine performance. In practice the average person will not feel the difference in performance between 87 and 93 octane gas.
  • sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    May be a dumb question.

Is it good to use a premium gasoline during break in period and then switch to regular. By doing this does the engine get a better chance to set right?

Thanks in advance.
    The answer is no. About twenty years ago, premium fuel might have had a better detergent mix. Those days are long past. Buying premium has absolutely no advantage unless the compression ratio warrants it.
  • gmcbride73gmcbride73 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Hyundai Fans - THC is back up.
    I got some Zaino item #'s mixed up in a previous post(the descriptions were OK). This is what I would suggest for a new car:

Z-1 Pre-cleaner
    Z-2 Polish (for clearcoat)

If you buy the Z-7 car wash concentrate, your total will be $29.85. With a purchase over $25 they will give you a $2.50 cotton polish applicator free.

Total cost, including S&H, would then be $36.80. With the exception of the car wash, this should last you for years.
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    The following link explains the difference between wax and polish and has car care tips.

Just an FYI for those of us who didn't know the difference.

http://waxdepot.safeshopper.com/faq.htm#1
    Thanks Intrepidspirit for the info. Do you WAX your cars?
    The question is : Do you need a WAX on a clear coat paint?

Since I like this car quite a bit ( no problem so far, break-in period almost over 1,180 miles in 10 days), I will use Zaino. It's too bad I didn't get the GLS... I decided against it mostly because there is only 21 hp and 10 torque difference... Next time, hopefully if they are still cheap!

Thanks Browney for the Wax Depot Site...Very informative ... Now I know the difference and which one goes first!

Polish deepens the gloss and makes the paint shine. Wax protects the paint and makes the polish last longer. However, it seems Zaino is 2 in one because it has protectants in it, such as a UV protector from the sun and other stuff. Zaino works well and really makes the paint shine in the sun WITHOUT swirl marks. You need to wax your car whether its clear coat or not. If you don't, the paint could get damaged and the clearcoat can slowly disappear as it did on my friends car. Now he needs a new paint job. Body shop paint jobs NEVER come out as good as the factory because the environment is different, dirt can get suck underneath and there are always runs in the paint. So take care of your paint :)
    I don't wax my car. As elantra00 says, Zaino already protects the finish. I think I read somewhere on the Zainobros.com site that you did not need a wax...but anyway, I haven't heard of anyone using both Zaino and wax!

Glad you're happy with your new Sonata... :)
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Just checking in wondering if Hyundai (or the IIHS) has made any progress on figuring out why the Elantra fared so poorly in the offset crash test.
  • aquesadaaquesada Member Posts: 24
    Looks like you are very interested on the Elantra(more than Elantra owners), Why you don't check for us and let us know the results, because you are the only one who still cares about it.

Oh!.. remember this is an Elantra's forum not an Echo's forum: Get out of here!!!
    Sorry I am staying and will occasionally be posting even.
    needs to be put in a private chat room with WarzoneCTX.
  • presario1presario1 Member Posts: 15
    You don't like Kia's tail lights either. It must be very special to own a Echo. You should be in the that forum were everything is perfect. Adios muchacho.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, let's talk about the Elantra and not each other please.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The Major is not the only person who is interested in what Hyundai is doing about the GLS' poor showing in the IIHS crash tests. About 100,000 owners--including me--of 2001 Elantras are understandably curious. So are most (all?) prospective Elantra buyers, some of whom participate in this forum even though they don't own an Elantra--the shame, the scandal! How can we allow that to continue?!? :]

Any updates on what Hyundai is doing to improve the crash performance would be appreciated.
  • presario1presario1 Member Posts: 15
    "Backy" up and read Pat/HOST post. My post was aimed at what I considered to be a flamer. And this forum can concentrate on real solutions and problems of Hyundai owners, not disingenuous comments from chat style non-owners without real answers. His own comments suggest he just pops in from time to time, to question what? A few of us have made an attempt to keep such posts out of here, so your sympathy is noted, but outnumbered as to how this forum should be handled. Backy could you please posts back with why the hyundai fared so bad in the crash tests or why my brakes pulsate, when applied at the 60 to 70 mph range?
    I read posts here because I learn things I did not know from time to time, like the lessons on wax versus polish.

I post here and posted what I did because I have a roommate who is almost in the market for a car. One of the cars she might look at is the Elantra sedan, but one of her hot button issues happens to be safety.

I thought maybe an actual Elantra owner might be privy to information that is not yet available to the general public. Therefore you can expect similar posts in the future.
    The "whys" of the IIHS crash test results have been documented extensively on both the IIHS web site and in this forum (also other forums with ties to the Elantra, like Hyundai Elantra 5-door and Honda Civic vs. Hyundai Elantra), so I don't think it's useful to re-cover that ground here. Some new information about the solution to this problem would be welcome, but I don't have any yet. I disagree with you that this issue is not a "real problem" of Hyundai owners--it may be the biggest problem with the '01 Elantra that owners face, being safety related and with no idea which cars may be affected. I think it deserves at least as much attention as brake problems, car care tips, and the like.

I wish I knew why some Elantras have pulsating brakes, but I'm not a mechanic and have no first-hand experience with this problem--my Elantra has been near flawless so far. In general, pulsating brakes are often caused by warped rotors. If you've already eliminated that possibility, I have no other suggestions. This is a question best left to those who have dealt with it, and who have found remedies.

Perhaps I misunderstood the purpose of this forum, and maybe Pat/HOST could clarify it for everyone. I was under the impression that this forum was not restricted only to owners who wish to comment on problems and answers to those problems, but was an open forum for all who have an interest in the Elantra. I thought the Hyundai Elantra Owners Club forum was the one set aside specifically for Elantra owners.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Everyone is welcome to post here, as long as the posts are made within all the terms of the Membership Agreement. Please note that one of the very key parts of that agreement reads as follows: ... please engage in healthy, mature debate and not immature behavior or name-calling. Civility and respect underlie the success of an on-line community such as Town Hall. While we want to maintain an inviting environment for all members, disruptive conduct, such as persistent off-topic comments in a topic-oriented discussion, is not allowed.

Disparaging other posters certainly does not meet those requirements. Anyone who has anything to ask or say about the Elantra is most welcome to post a message here, regardless of what vehicle he or she owns, as long as the message is civil, respectful, and topical.

I hope this clarifies the issue. If anyone has any questions about what I am saying, please feel free to address me off-line.

We've had quite enough disruption of the discussion here - let's get back to talking about the Elantra and leave aside comments about the participants in this conversation.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Call me ignorant, but personally, I didn't even look at saftey when I purchased my 2000 Elantra. I was looking more at feature content, engine power and overall appeareance...basically the best bang for the buck. Thats what the Elantra essentially is. However, not totally ignorning saftey, I saw it had airbags and felt that was enough for me. It doesn't have Anti lock brakes, stability control, traction control or any other of that BS. IMO, that stuff is for people who can't drive...like the morons in the Ford Expedtions and Lincoln Navigators. No one needs an SUV bigger then a Hyundai Santa Fe. How did we all survive these years without that stuff? I never had a problem in the snow, never had any braking problems or lost control. Why? I KNOW HOW TO DRIVE! :) I don't need a car that drives itself and takes over...What fun is that? lol
  • camshanecamshane Member Posts: 1
    I've a(n older) co-worker who is in the market for a PLEASANT, smaller sedan for his wife. I am a car nut, and have been watching the numbers for Hyundai rise to a point such that is you are considering a 2nd-tier Japanese model (Mitsu's, Mazda's, Suzuki's, etc.), one would do well to entertain the Hyundai, as the numbers indicate that you will not fare much worse, and enjoy considerably more protection. (My own M-B make has begun faltering badly, unfortunately, although you can buy one for much less than before! Hahaha! Ugh. =-)
    Aside from the poor crash test performance, what else should I use in estimating weather I should recomend a new Elantra to a co-worker?

Cameron
    Did anybody notice how those crash tests are conducted by those "super experts" in the matter!

I have yet to see a real crash/accident occur in exactly the same way! which is to say that the angle of the impact has a lot to do with the seriousness of the injury; regardless of the "armored" car one is riding in!

Wasn't Di riding in the best "crash proof" vehicle made/available?

It is too bad so many people rely on those "tests" by those "experts", and give them too much weight!
    One ounce of prevention is worth more than one inch thick steel armored car!

I'd say Elantra is worth serious consideration if:
    * Value (most car for the money) is a major consideration
    * A smooth, quiet ride is more important than sharp handling
    * Having a powerful engine is more important than getting exceptional gas milage
    * A comfortable, roomy interior is important
    * You don't care what friends and family may say about your buying "just a Hyundai"--may be less of a problem now with solid models like Elantra, Sonata, and Santa Fe, but still some anti-Hyundai sentiment out there
    * The Hyundai warranty is sufficient to negate concerns over the Elantra's unproven long-term reliability
    * You plan to keep the car in the family for several years, since Hyundais have historically had poor resale value compared to makes like Honda and Toyota (also the 10/100 powertrain warranty does not extend past your immediate family)
    * You can find a good dealer near you for service (only 500 dealers in the US, but probably several in a major city like Seattle)

These are the criteria that led me to buy an Elantra last October. I've been very happy with my choice.
    I called the hyundai consumer affairs line (800-633-5151) 2 weeks ago and requested copies of the NCAP, EURO NCAP, KARCO, and Hyundai Motor Korea crash test results. I was told by the woman who answered the phone that she would have to check with here supervisor to see if it was OK to fax them to me. She also said she would call me back and let me know one way or the other. She has not called back so I will be calling them again this week.
    The phone number is a toll free call so anyone that wanted this info could call and bug Hyundai for it. ;-)
    There appear to be people out there who believe that they are such great drivers that they can never have an accident. They feel they don't need safety features on their cars since they are to good at driving to have an accident.
    I may have felt the same way at one time since I was able to steer out of a certain collision when the driver on my right decided to change lanes, forcing me into oncoming traffic. Or when a tired or inattentive semi driver moved 3 lanes over and unintentionally forced me off the road. I was able to keep control in the mud and barely get back on the highway behind the semi just missing a bridge abutment.
    Especially may have felt that way since everyone who has ever driven with me has said how safe they felt with me driving.
    I may have felt that way right up until I had a drunk driver turn into my lane, on a 2-lane road, causing an offset head on collision. (Offset since I had about a second to try and turn the wheel to avoid the crash)
    I ended up with a broken nose and stitches in my nose, lip, and eyelid. (And that was with a seatbelt on, no airbag, at about 35mph) My rear seat passenger spent 6 mos in the hospital. (no seatbelt on)
    Bottom Line: Nobody is immune from potentially having an accident no matter how great a driver he or she may think they are.
    That is why people, myself included, look to the people who do crash testing and the auto makers to tell us all the facts about how safe their vehicle is. Then we will be able to make an educated decision as to whether or not the vehicle we intend to purchase is as safe as we want that car we purchase to be.
    I like my Elantra but would not have purchased it based on the results of the offset crash tests.
    I had planned for over a year to buy a PT Cruiser but the minute they failed the offset crash test I lost interest.

I know I have posted parts of this before but it seemed like it needed to be said again in light of those who think car safety is such a minor issue.
    A friend of mine's uncle has a Mercdes Benz CLK430. He rammed a deer and it TOTALLED the entire car. Thats how much damage it did. So this car with all the saftey features protected the driver pretty good. But look at all the damage it did! 80,000 and a deer destroys it?! I know it has crumble zones, but it shouldn't do that much damage. Now, in contrast, my old 86 toyota corolla was rear ended by a Chevy Silverado Pick-up....felt like the trunk was bashed in. Got out and looked....did nothing more then scratch the bumper a bit. Sure, my back hurt for a few days. Better then not having my car totalled and not having it anymore! I ll take that tradeoff anyday. Todays cars are built so that they take all the hit and absoarbs the impact for the driver. I rather have an equal tradeoff so one accident doesn't destroy your car!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    You can do all the tests you want, but in the end, each collision is unique unto itself in terms of speed, angles, etc. The big issue with the Elantra was the air bag sensors, and we don't know if it affects just some or most cars or whether or not it affects the new GT. I'd prefer to look at things like side air bags being standard, where you can't even find them on some other cars. Or, the ability to get ABS and traction control on a 4 cylinder car costing less than 25 grand. If you want the most content and warranty for the dollar, you can do a lot worse than a Hyundai.
  • stevesailstevesail Member Posts: 15
    I know I saw previous posts regarding this issue, but I couldn't find them. We have a 2001 Elantra 5-spd with 2,000 miles on it. In just the last couple of days, the idle speed goes way up for several seconds when we first start the car. If I punch the accelerator I can get it back down. There's been no change in weather (low 80s and dry) or anything else significant that could affect the starting.
    Other than that, we love the car.
    I would suspect that the problem with the sensors was problem with bad batch, but who know exactly how many cars it affects.

I say this because I don't believe that the government reported this problem when conducting the full frontal collision test.

Some view the side air bags going off as a problem and it was given they are not designed to go off in a frontal collision, but if a side air bag gives added protection even during a frontal collision, I think they should be designed to go off then.
  • pearlbluesoulpearlbluesoul Member Posts: 30
    I would disagree with you there on the "added protection" of the side airbags in a frontal collision. I believe that any airbag that deploys when it is not supposed to can cause the risk of burning the occupants when they inflate. I don't think the IIHS measures this effect on its crash test dummies.

Last week, the reverse happened to someone on the Subaru Forester board: his front airbag deployed when his vehicle was impacted on the side, resulting in burns.

How about a letter writing campaign to Hyundai, demanding to let you owners know which vehicles are affected by this problem? Or if the IIHS could provide the serial number of the three Elantra's they tested, potential shoppers might be able to ascertain which "bad batch" to avoid?