Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Guess what?? I got my champagne Elantra today! I went to the dealer I called on the phone last night, just to see what kind of deal I could get. It took a little haggling (15 minutes) with the sales manager, but I left with a great deal on a champagne 5-speed with package 2--but not with the car, unfortunately. During dealer prep the airbag light went on, and the salesman would not let me take the car (safety first). I'll pick it up Monday. If anyone in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area is looking for a 2001 Elantra with automatic, this dealer has a lot of 'em right now, all colors (I think I got the last 5-speed on the lot). It's Denny Hecker's Roseville Hyundai, salesman Robert Peterson and manager Ed Page. They treated me very well during the whole process, it was probably my smoothest and fastest car buying experience ever (this is my 10th new vehicle). They even matched the low loan rate I was going to get from my credit union (after the price was negotiated), so I could take care of the entire transaction in one place, no hassle. Congratulations on your first new car, christfreak, enjoy it! If I had had a car like the Elantra when I was 16, I'd have thought I'd died and gone to heaven.
  • doitmyselferdoitmyselfer Member Posts: 7
    I just test drove an elantra manual today. It was everything I thought it was. (Fast acceleration, noisy when accelerating/anytime you step on the pedal).

I thought the front door was too short, and the side airbag was a joke(The side airbag is shaped like a person from neck to hip, no head protection at all. The side airbags for the sonata is a rectangle shaped offering protection from head to hip. I don't understand why offer side airbag w/o head protection.

The salesperson got down from $13000 to $11000 instantly since I told him I wouldn't buy for two more months. It's 500 below invoice, and about $20 above their advertised price.

It's Benick Hyundai in El Monte, CA.
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    does anyone know what the 7500 mile service includes? this is the first service i am bringing it in. i use to have the brochure of all the service requirements and what they included, however i lost it. I changed the oil myself after 3000 miles. the engine broke in perfect, so i didnt bother to spend the money bringing it in. i heard its $130. so if anyone could help me out, it would be appreciated.

also, i just bought PIAA plasma headlights for my elantra. they look like zeenon (spelling) lights like on the bmws and mercedes. a lot brighter and you can see further with them too. the shine out white with a tint of blue on low beam. when switched over to high beams, they shine out superwhite. best $70 bucks i ever spent. not only can you see better, but they look phat when turned on at night. goes well with my PIAA superwhite 1100 series driving lights. i highly recommend them.
    Interesting note about the shape of side air bags, doitmyselfer. We'll have to wait and see how the 2001 does on the side impact tests (2000 was only average for front-seaters).

I found the front door big enough, but I'm only 5'10". Small 4-drs typically have small front doors in my experience; the Elantras was better than most. As for the noisy 5-speed: I actually like the "throaty growl" it makes when accelerating (at a good clip at that). Noisier than the auto, but I'll take that as a trade-off for performance. I test-drove a 2000 Elantra 5-speed last summer and it was *really* noisy, even when cruising. I crossed the 2000 off my list because of it. The 2001 is much quieter, especially cruising. For those for whom the noise could be an issue, try both the 5-speed and the auto.
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    The only reccomended service according to the owners manual on my 99 Elantra is an oil and filter change and tire rotation. At 15,000 miles there are a lot of inspections (brakes, belts, suspension, exhaust etc) and the air filter gets replaced along with the tire rotation. Some dealers do the inspections at 7500 and charge a fortune for them. On my car I have done all these inspections, oil changes, and air filter changes. I have a local tire place do the tire rotations for 10 bucks. My Elantra has 15,000 miles and has never been back to the dealer. At about 30,000 miles I plan to have the auto trans fluid and filter changed at the dealer and at 60,000 miles I will have the dealer replace the timing belt. Aside from that I will do all the normal service myself. Call the nearest dealer and ask them what they do for the 7500 mile service. My guess is that you can do all or most of these things yourself.

Scott
    i called the guy today. they do a whole lube job (oil change and filter). rotate tires, inspect stuff, adjust brakes, road test vehicle and a few other things. i can do all this myself. the brakes are fine, so i dont even have to worry about that. however, after a long argument, it came down to it that if i didnt bring it in and something went wrong later on, the warranty coverage may be in jepardy because they could blame it on not bringing it in for that service. i could argue this because i know this is just a money maker for the dealership, however, i am 18 yrs old, in college, working part-time. i really dont have time to fight with the workload i have to deal with. And one of the main reasons i bought this car was for the warranty. dont want to screw that up so im bringing it in. and besides, the next service isnt until 15,000 miles, so im not blowing that much money away. i also want to test drive the new elantra tomorrow. see which one is better and what this "funky" smell is all about. also test driving the accent and getting information about it for my co-worker. so i actually want to go to the dealer to do this while they service my car. :)
    I would shop around at different dealers in my area for the best price for the service. Adjust the brakes? the brakes on the Elantra are self adjusting, what a crock! I just don't trust dealers ever since a Subaru dealer forgot to refill my manual transmission after draining it. I have ALWAYS checked the work that I have done BEFORE I leave the repair shop now. Alot of dealers have inexperienced people doing oil changes so make sure you check for leaks before you drive away. The owners manual has a nice section on do it yourself maintainance. I just keep a log on my computer and keep all the reciepts. The dealer didn't give me any problem at all when the bearing on the power steering pump on my 99 Accent started to make noise at 25,000 miles. They just replaced it for free. They also replaced the radio that got fried from a lightning strike for free, now they could have charged me for that. A lot depends on the dealer, some are nice, others are jerks. Find a good dealer and stick with them, but don't forget to check their work. I understand you are busy at school, so have the dealer do the service. Piece of mind is worth a lot.
  • crystalqcrystalq Member Posts: 10
    Thanks backy. I got my car yesterday. I called the general manager and told them the situation. he told me he cannot sell me an auto one w/ manual price anyway, but he promised to give me a good deal. The sales manager called me for 13500 out of door. That's $750 over the manual one. A better deal indeed (auto $732 + tax will be more than $750). Take the fee and Tax away, the selling price is only $12468 for package 2, mats, net and guards. I am very happy for this deal. Thanks for your help. I am just wondering, do they still have profit from this deal?
    Besides the holdback money the dealer gets, the dealer I bought my Accent from said for every two cars they sell, Hyundai sends them three new cars to sell. This is how they increas the quota of cars Hyundai sends them. They can afford to sell a few cars with less profit because they get more cars to sell.
  • johhujohhu Member Posts: 17
    Just came back from a 1k miles trip from NY to Montreal.Everything worked find.Gas avereged 32miles per G,with AC on occassionally to defog.Speed about 75-80 miles per hour.I took my backup key and used it once when I left the key inside and locked the door ,this happened in Montreal!Also from a previous experience,the steering wheel lock freezed and the key could not turn,so I turned the wheel while stepping on the brake and turned the key.I learned this from the 1-800 road side assistant.The highway in Canada is quite bumpy and the driving was very noisy.
    I saw very few Hyundais in Canada.
    Re:Elentra00,Where did you find the PIAA light?How did you put them on?Thanks a bunch!
  • dpethickdpethick Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else experienced *BAD* dashboard rattles in the 2000 Elantra. They come in between 2400 and 2800 RPM, and seem to be getting worse.

First time it was taken in to the dealer (by my wife) they said something like :

"pipes in the engine are loose, we'll tighten them down and put on some insulation tape. Oh - we have no tape - bring it back in when we do"

Does this mean anything to anybody? Anyone else had this problem? It's only got 7k miles on it for goodness sakes, and it rattles more than my first car (20 year old Nissan) did. Not happy :-(
  • johhujohhu Member Posts: 17
    My car has some rattle sound from the first day and it comes on and off.One source is directly above the dashboard and it works when it's getting too warm.Another comes from under the radio .I can stop it by removin g the ash tray and stick my hand into the hole and press.
    The only noise that bothers me a lot is the constant wind noise when driving above 60 miles per hour.It is just too loud and I believe there is some design defect.
    It was $115. not bad. he did a lot of stuff. the brakes did need adjusting, so im glad i brought it in just for that. they were too loose. you pushed the pedal down and there was a range of "dead pedal" where it did nothing until a few inches from where it starts. Now the brakes are much more responsive and tighter. Other stuff like the lube job and rotating tires i could have done myself. they also lubricated the joints and latches. Baber, i agree it is somewhat of a crock but i dont want to have problems with the warranty coverage if something goes wrong as some people have delt with. The #1 reason i bought the car was for the warranty. Anyway, it doesnt go back to 15,000 miles so its awhile before its required that it goes back in. I'll change the oil myself before then. Easy enough. Can't complain though. car runs fantastic. They also checked the mass air flow sensor during the maintance appointment. nothing wrong. I got the prime pick of the lot :)

Johhu, I got 2 sets of PIAA lights. One are just bulbs that replaced the factory headlight bulbs. They are called PIAA plasma lights. They are a H4 type bulb, which the elantra takes. They look identical to zeenon lights; shine out a low blue. looks as cool as hell. just not as bright as the real zeenons. then again, these bulbs are $75 vs. $800 for the real thing. They are 55 watts. The other bulbs i have are PIAA 1100 series superwhite driving lights. They are $250. Pricey but worth it. They mount in the lower grille of the elantra. I have pictures. Just IM me if you have AOL instant messanger to see them. My screen name is JRH382. They are 85 watts and shine out superwhite. They are awesome. Well worth the money. I had them installed cause they had to custom cut the plastic in the bill to fit them flush with the grille.
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    i've had that problem too with gas mileage but i've been diong tests just to see wat i can get. i got a 2K elantra and the first full tank i got 18mpg when i was driving it hard, not flooring it all the time but pretty much pushing it. the second time i got 20 mpgs when i drove it "nicely". going to the dealership next week to tell them about this.
    Yes, the dealer made some money, about $110 as best as I can figure, assuming the $12,468 includes destination. That is about as good a deal as they come--congratulations! Good thing you bought before Nov. 1, because the $500 coupon special is over now--hopefully it will return, or maybe rebates will come along.

I hope you are enjoying your new Elantra--the wonderful "new Hyundai smell" and all. I still don't have mine yet, although I bought it a week ago. The dealer just got the parts in to fix one of the side airbags, and it won't be ready until Monday. They told me there were three other 2001 Elantras on the lot with the same problem. This hints of a general problem with the new-for-2001 side airbags, although there's no recall posted yet. (BTW, I read Ford is also plagued with parts problems with airbags for a couple of models, Windstars and Crown Vics, and have lots of them sitting at dealers and the factories waiting for parts.) So if anyone buys a 2001 Elantra in the near future, check for the airbag problem first--on my car, the airbag light stayed lit to warn of the problem. It's a messy repair, too--they have to disassemble the seats and replace the airbag wiring harnass. Has anyone else has run into problems with the side airbags?
    According to edmunds.com, the 2001 Elantra now has a $500 rebate, good through 11/30!
  • jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    Hello all. I test drove a 2001 Elantra last week. The salesman kid was new to the dealership and knew barely anything about the car, not that I had any questions for him.

I was most impressed with the solid feel to the car. It felt a bit heavier and larger than it really is. I also liked the engine, which was smooth, powerful, and quiet. The interior is also very nice on these cars- I like the setup... and I like the seats, which are still a bit firm.

The one big thing I disliked about the car was the lack of visibility while backing up. The high rear end along with the rear headrests make it quite difficult to see where you're going. I think this is the trend for many cars nowadays, though. The stereo was also of very poor sound quality. The bass was completely buzzy and distorted.

When I buy the 2001 sometime next spring, I might wait for the hatchback, which looks weird but pretty cool. For anybody that already owns the 2001, what do you think of the stereo? Also, does anyone have an idea about possibily getting a CD AND cassette player for the Elantra? I know the Korean Elantra has this as an available option, as well as the U.S. Sonatas and probably the XG. I'd prefer a Hyundai stereo as opposed to an aftermarket one... just my picky preference.

JEFF
  • tnjackietnjackie Member Posts: 19
    I drove a 2001 Elantra last weekend. I was impressed and wonder if anyone has dealt with the dealer in Memphis, Tn. and what they had to pay for the car. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I sat in the new Elantra last night. I was very impressed with the car. It looks good (sporty yet upscale), feels solid, has a nice dash layout, and has surprisingly roomy and comfortable rear seats. It had high quality cloth and the door pulls were padded, a nice touch. I love how it has standard side airbags and 15" wheels. Anyone who says the Elantra doesn't compare to the Japanese makes is completely ignorant. I would venture to say that it is now the best compact car value out there, period. If my friend decides to take over the loan on my 2000 Accent L, I may just look into getting the Elantra. Tops on my list is still the Accent GS with the power package because I really don't want a 4 door, but I really like the Elantra. It will be a tough decision.
  • christfreakchristfreak Member Posts: 5
    Well we hit the 1k miles and are over. I love the car. I wish my parents would stop dragging there feet and get off work so i can get my license. But o well. Like i said i love the car. There isn't any problems yet except it does a have this noise (sometimes) when u start off. I a shiming noise so i'm not to worried. It sounds like it is coming from the dash board on the drivers side. It isn't loud and only sometimes does it.
    I'm getting jealous of some of yall. 12500? gosh i should have told my parents to wait a month. we paid 13,500 before tax and everything. but o well.

Backy. That bites with the air bag thing. But be glad they didn't let u go home and it came out when u were driving. My brother got an ford excursion and they are having problem with there dealer because of the tires. they are firestones and they aren't the ones recalled. But they are making noises. And the dealer told them not to worry about. So be glad that they are fixing it.
  • md_techmd_tech Member Posts: 84
    My 2000 Elantra broke down this weekend... My husband tried to drive home from work and the vehicle would't go in gear...By the way,my Elantra is manual. No problem we call road side assistance..So on Monday morning we dropped by the dealer. They told us that since the clutch is a wear item it would take $500.00 just to remove the transmission to find out what was wrong. An if the clutch was bad we would have to pay a additional $400.00.. What happened to this wonderful warranty???? I forgot to mention the clutch only has 12,000 mile on it... When I drove the vehicle previously the clutch pedal toe play felt out of adjustment. Although, my husband claimed this is how it has always been.
    So they weren't going to warranty the clutch because the claimed my husband burned it... I don't believe that he burn the clutch out in that amount of mileage. Maybe if he was a new driver,but he's not.... So my service writer was horrible he didn't want to talk with me,he didn't call me when the found out what was wrong with the vehicle. Then when I did call he had already replaced the clutch without my authorization. To make a long story short they Goodwilled the clutch and because of my persistence I paid nothing.. **Beware Elantra owners this can happen to you... I even called the Hyuandai 1-800 number and they stated the clutch is a wear item...

Kristina/co host Our Turn
    Thanks kristina, I'll keep that in mind because my elantra is stick shift too. My dealer has been pretty good. Nice, courteous, fast service. even saved me money on the 7500 mile service. If that would ever happen to me where they blame me for something breaking on the car and force me to pay them money, they got another thing coming. I would fight till i get it for free, as it should be under warranty....all the way to the courtroom if necessary (if it were in the $1000+ price range) but it shouldnt go that far. this dealer has been pretty good to me.

Anyone check out the new Santa Fes? very nice SUV. looks really cool in black with the gray leather. comfortable too. im looking to replace my 96 jeep cherokee with 100k miles on it for a santa fe because im so happy with my elantra i think a second hyundai would be great choice and be able to get a great deal on it. the jeep sucks on gas so im looking at a 4 cyclinder one in 5 spd w/ 4 wheel drive.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Sorry to be a bit sarcastic, but that doesn't surprise me in the least. No warranties cover the clutch. Did you read the fine print of the warranty? It covers only the internal gears of the transmission, not the clutch or flywheel. A clutch is always considered a wear item, unless it can be proven that it was made of faulty material. Yes, it shouldn't have worn out in only 12,000 miles, so I think it was in Hyundai's best interest to goodwill it because it was obviously faulty. The dealer should not have tried to charge you $500 to just take off the tranny and see what was wrong. But they did have the right to charge $400 for the clutch repair. Just be glad they did goodwill it.
    Just to show that Hyundai is not the only manufacturer that uses this policy, here is an example: I read in the Infiniti G20 forum of someone's clutch burning out in only 20,000 miles on his 99 model. He had reported a tranny problem to the dealer and they said everything was fine. The clutch burned out 1 week later. The dealer charged him $600 to replace it and last I heard, he was still fighting Infiniti over their "clutch is always a wear item" rule. Needless to say, if a luxury car maker that prides itself on customer satisfaction is refusing to pay the cost of something that Hyundai did pay for, you should be commending Hyundai for taking the initiative to keep you happy. However, it was a disappointment for it to happen in the first place. Hopefully it was just a fluke and your car will be reliable from now on.
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    does anybody know if the gas mileage improved on the 2001's???????
  • md_techmd_tech Member Posts: 84
    I understand the clutch is a wear item... This wasen't everyday wear. This was break down at 12,000 miles. An I don't commend them for warranting the clutch because it was a defective from the factory. If it was just the clutch was worn out for constant use and mileage I would have fixed it myself. To remove a transmission is $500 (I okayed that..) The other problem was they replace the clutch without my authorization. After calling the second time I finally got in touch with him and he told me I owed 900.00 dolars,but since I worked at a dealer he would give me a break.... When I asked to see the clutch he said the vehicle was already put back togetheir,but I could come down and look at the old parts. This is when, I had a conversation with the service manager who explained to me that Hyundai use to have a problem with their manual vehicles. So from all this information, I'm not going to pat them on the back for Goodwilling the clutch. They knew that the clutch didn't just magically burn up in 12,000 miles.

Kristina/co host Our Turn
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I have a 2000 5 speed Elantra. Is there anything I can do to extend the life of the clutch??
  • acook1acook1 Member Posts: 5
    I have been very consistently getting 24 mpg on my 5 sp 2000 Elantra on city driving with some highway thrown in. Is this similar to what other people are experiencing? I feel like I should be getting better mileage somehow. Also, I have had problems with my speakers fading in and out. Haven't taken it in yet because you know, as soon as I take it in, they will be working again. And yes, lots of rattles in the dash!
    personally, who gives a crap about rattles. lets all remember that this is an $11,000 "econo-box" so it will haves its flaws. it aint no benz or beammer. mine only rattles on a cold morning when i start it. once the revolutions drop below 1000 rpms on idle, they go away. doesnt bother me the least. i expect that. better then having engine problems. about the clutch. here are a few good tips to extending the life.

1. Don't "pop" the clutch. this means reving the engine to about 4000+ rpms and then letting go completely rather then easying off it gently and spinning the front tires by "peeling out". this puts strain and wear on the clutch and flywheel.

2. When you are stopped at light. put it in neutral and just step on the brake rather then clutch/brake/first gear. its illegal to be out of gear in traffic, but it will save you $$ in the long run.

3. stop and go traffic: instead of being an [non-permissible content removed] like all the other motorists (during rush hour especially) out there by flooring it, tailgating and then slamming on the brakes as soon as the car in front moves 5 feet up....do what i do. 20-30 feet behind the car in front; 10 mph, 2nd gear. did this on the GSP here in NJ. didnt step on the brake once or shift for 10 miles in bumper to bumper traffic. yea, it pisses people off behind you, but i got to Great adventure the same time as the idiot in the lane next to me was flooring it/tailgate/slam on the brakes method. it will save you so much wear and tear on your car if you do it this way. not only on your clutch, but your brake pads too because you dont stop at all using this method. you just slow down.

4. The last way to extend the life of the clutch is to make use of the foot rest to the left of the clutch. dont ride the clutch by keeping your foot on it between gears. the little pressure adds up over time.

my father used this method since every car of his was manual. one of which was a 1990 toyota corolla. at 100,000 miles before we sold it. never had the clutch replaced and even the rear drum brakes never were replaced because he didnt need to use the brakes that much in traffic using that way of driving.

anyone else have ways to save wear and tear on cars? do tell. these are just my methods.
  • scoupescoupe Member Posts: 1
    I just got a cheap 1993 Scoupe. It has 119k but this week the check engine light in the dash board lighted on. Would this be a big problem? It was pretty cheap but I want it to at least last a year not a week!
  • tnjackietnjackie Member Posts: 19
    I am considering buying a 2001 Elantra automatic. I have seen the messages about the $115 service charge for the 7500 mile checkup. How often do you have to take it in for a checkup? Is it $115 each time, that seems high for an oil change or whatever. If you have to take it in too often at that price you could pay to have it fixed yourself. Can the service be done elsewhere as long as you have proof? Thanks for any information you can answer.
    The Elantra service intervals are 7500 miles, with oil and filter changes every 3750 miles under "severe" conditions (which cover a lot of common driving situations, things like short trips, dusty roads, extensive idling, and cold weather). It's a good idea to do the oil changes every 3750 miles even if you don't fall under the "severe conditions", especially if you plan on owning the car a few years. It's cheap insurance to protect your engine.

The owner's manual states that you can have the service done "at any qualified service facility", but be sure to keep all your records--the manual says this is "especially important" when service is not done by Hyundai. You can do much of the service yourself if you are mechanically inclined, and there's a section in the owner's manual on do-it-yourself maintenance. There's a statement in the owner's manual about using Hyundai parts or "equivalent", so if you do it yourself it would be a good idea to buy the parts from your Hyundai dealer, and if someone else does it be sure they use Hyundai parts or name-brand, top-quality parts.

$115 seems high for a basic 7500 mile service, since all they need to do is an oil/filter change and check the auto transmission fluid. You might want to rotate the tires then too. Under the "severe" service schedule, they also are supposed to inspect the brakes, the steering assembly, and the driveshafts. These are easy to do if the car is already jacked up for the tire rotation. So ask the dealer to itemize the charges for you--if they are charging you for all the inspections, you may be able to get them to toss in the tire rotation gratis, since all they have to do is put the tires back on different axles.
  • doitmyselferdoitmyselfer Member Posts: 7
    I found it new (or I missed it) on the edmunds review of 2k1 elantra:
    "
    Later this year, Hyundai will introduce the Elantra GT. Configured as a five-door hatchback, the GT is designed to appeal to those who
    may have purchased the discontinued station wagon model, as well as buyers who desire the utility of a hatchback configuration. The GT
    gets rear disc brakes, a sport-tuned suspension, alloy wheels, and a host of other standard items for a premium of about $1,000 over the
    sedan. "
    Is $1000 worth it???
  • jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    I found a decent picture of the rear of the 2001 hatchback... different than the few posted on t-h-c.org.

http://www.hyundai-car.co.uk/showroom/future/future_index.html
  • formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    I just bought a 2001 Elantra with option 2 for 12k flat. They even threw in the Mats(ha ha) they are having problems locating my car, and have already offered a different color card for a couple of hundred less (as its my wife's I will let her choose) The deals are out there. I walked in asked for a base elantra with the keyless remote and said I would not pay more then 11,8 of course they wanted 12.8, we settle in the middle (my middle!) Should be in it in a few weeks.. will update you
  • bluze1bluze1 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought this past weekend and love it! Paid $13,300 (almost $600 under invoice). Once I had test driven it and had the info I needed I called a few dealerships and let them beat eachother up w/ who can get me the lowest price. I had a place offering about $725 under invoice, but they were about 1 hr away as opposed to 20 mins and me being the lazy sort, went for convenience.

Factory tint price in insane, so I'm getting a reputable, local place to do it 1/3 of Hyandai's price and w/ life-time warranty.

I have Edmunds.com and this forum to thank for all the info ("ammo") that I used to work out a great deal and to find a great car. Thank you all! =)

Lovin' my Elantra! =)

Bluze1
  • kjkjkjkj Member Posts: 3
    Where can I see some good photos of the 2001 sedans and hatchbacks? (I checked out the link in #245) I can't access the t-h-c.org site and the hyundaiusa site has 2000 models.
  • kjkjkjkj Member Posts: 3
    Hyudai.com updated their website. They've got the 2001 models now.
    i got the best deal in here on a 2k elantra last april. yes, it took me 5 hrs or haggling at the dealership. i had to visit about 4 dearlerships bringing each quote and telling them to beat it and where i bought it was far away. but all was worth it. i got it for 10,800 with rims, cruise control, floor mats and premium stereo. Both the 2k1 and 2k elantra styling are nice in their own ways. i am kind of upset that i didnt get 15" wheels and side airbags standard as in the 2k. then again, i may not have gotten such a great deal on it.

Good luck to bluez1 and formula94 on their new elantras. have 8k miles on mine and not one problem yet! :)
  • dr18dr18 Member Posts: 3
    Total paid $10149.
    Check out the exterior photos of the 2002 Infiniti Q45 on edmunds.com (link is on home page) and see if they don't remind you of a certain South Korean sedan. I might be crazy, but I see a definite resemblance to the 2001 Elantra, especially in profile. I like the rear of the Elantra better, though. Also the price. Wouldn't mind having an interior more like the Q-ship's, of course.
  • dr18dr18 Member Posts: 3
    This is final. Paid $9919 + $70 for mats + $60 for mud guards. Total paid $10049.
    I tend to agree with you. there is a resemblence between the elantra and Q45. But there is more of a resemblence between the new hyundai xg300 and the lincoln continental and also the lincoln LS. The entire car in this case, not just the front end. Hyundai is getting better and better. Most American cars just suck to begin with, but just knowing that hyundais look like upper 40,000 luxery cars for a fraction of that cost is amazing. When you are in the upper $40,000 cars, you cross into BMW territory folks. No other car will cut it when you pay that much, especially american. I would never buy an infinity for that much. I much rather have an M3. Maybe the most perfect car out there for the price. my opinion of course
  • billyleebillylee Member Posts: 9
    Seems to be the problem from the alarm. Today it snows and very cold. I stopped my car and opened the emergence light, then went out and active the alarm system. After I came back from banking, I was surprised to find that the emergence light wasn't on and the remote control doesn't work! I have to open the door by keys. Now, the alarm system doesn't work. The emergence light doesn't work. And when I turn off the emergence light, I can hear clicking noise from the dash! So I have to turn on the emergence light, though it dones't work now.

Have you ever met such problem? I bought this car two months ago and have 2000 miles on it.
  • smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Hi,

I recently got an OEM fog light installation kit for my 2001 Hyundai Elantra. The people I bought it from didn't send the instructions, wiring harness and switch - they hopefully will be sending me this soon. This is the US version since I live in California. All US version 2001 Elantras do not come with fog lights even as an option. I was wondering if the Elantra is prewired for fog lights and should the wiring be available at the location of where the fog lights are to be installed? Anyone have experience doing this for a 2001 or even a 2000 model since the 2000 model didn't have fog lights as an option either? Your tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shawn
  • alese1alese1 Member Posts: 28
    First of all, you should have the fog lights installed at a certified Hyundai dealership, that way you're covered just in case they are not installed properly.

I was informed that they are available at the parts center of the Hyundai dealership. Make an appointment with the service dept. to get them installed. They have to add a feature by the steering wheel to turn them on and off.
    i dont know about the 2001 elantra, but in the 2000 elantra (which i own) its an unusual and costly set up they have with the foglights. there are knock out panels to put the foglights in on the bumper, however there is no place to mount them. also, there is no prewiring and no switch. i know because i wanted to get them myself. all in all, it cost close to $500 to put them in. not worth it. here is where the cost comes from. $80 for the foglights, not too bad there, but then $50 for the wiring. $30 for the switch. then you have to get a bumper mount stay or something like that. its installed behind the bumper so you can mount the foglights to them. thats about $200. then there is an installation charge which i believe is about $100. not worth it if you ask me. however, for that year, the only car that had the prewiring was the tiburon. hopefully they changed it for 2001...ask your hyundai dealership. basically, you are better off getting something after market. thats what i did. i got PIAA 1100 series superwhite driving lights. $250 installed. best lights i ever bought. got pictures if you want to see.
  • smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Thanks for the info. I would like to see pictures of your Elantra. From my understanding on th 96-00 Elantras the cut outs (were the fog lights go) were molded and had to be cut. In the case of the 01 the cut outs have black plastic inserts that are actually screwed in place to the bumper. 2 screws hold each black plastic insert. I am hoping that my fog lights will attach to these screw holes. However, i still need the wiring harness and switch in which the place I got the fog lights (HDK Autosport) forgot to send me. Hopefully, they will arrive soon. The kit cost $99 plus $10 for shipping. I agree that $500 is not worth the investment for fog lights. Hopefully, I won't have too hard of a time on installing them.

Thanks,

Shawn
  • formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    Well in a previous post i boasted of my 2k1 purchase. They could not find the color. So I got a 2k1 champagne elantra with pkg4 mats,windscreen,mudguards for 12.7 final price. I battled and batled. The invoice is over 1100 on the pkg four and I feel I got a great deal. My wife was happy, its her car. We picked it up Sunday.

BAD NEWS, a large deer hit her taken out the right fender and doors. What a mess. She is fine(wife that is :) )So her first new car in a while and she finally gets her sunroof and its out for a few weeks. I got a great deal but a bad break. More good news is that the Formula stays on the road(least til it snows)
  • bilottobilotto Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 99 ELANTRA, WHICH HAS A CRACKED MANIFOLD.
    I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT BECAUSE MY CAR HAS MUD ON THE BOTTOM AND SCRAPES, IT MUST HAVE BEEN CAUSED BY IMPACT. WARRRANTY WILL NOT COVER.
    HYUNDAI WANTS TO CHARGE ME $1,000 FOR THE REPAIR.
    THEIR WARRNATY IS A SHAM.
  • bilottobilotto Member Posts: 3
    A FEDERAL ALW SUIT WILL BE FILED AGAINST HYUNDAI FOR DEFECTIVE DESIGN AND DEFECTIVE MANUFACTURE OF '99 ELANTRA.