Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• ymreddyymreddy Member Posts: 5
    Thank you. But do you know by any chance, what is the purpose of that coating.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I have experienced the burning smell in every new car I have purchased (2 Dodges, 2 Chryslers). I don't think it's unusual for the first week or so.

Come to think of it, though, I didn't notice it when I bought my daughter's 2001 Elantra and drove it home...maybe I was just expecting it and didn't pay attention!
  • buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    My car had the smell too for the first couple hundred miles. At first, I was worried that I just forgot how to drive a stick and that I was burning the clutch, but the smell has long since passed.

RE: the Pro 5

It's actually quite noisy, even for a small car. I drove an Elantra and Pro 5 back-to-back (they were my two finalists) and the difference was very noticeable. I cannot comment on the Pro sedan, but I would assume that it's more quiet than the wagon.

When I was detailing my car (and breaking off the wiper arm) last week, I came away very impressed with the steps Hyundai took to make the Elantra quiet. The doors and windows have double seals, and those on the doors are much beefier and of better quality than the ones used on my last car - a Chrysler, ironically enough. One of Hyundai's priorities with this car was clearly to make it one of the quietest compacts around.

Vocus, so how's the Jetta turbo running for you? How many miles do you have on it now?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The Jetta is running fine, thanks. It's been in the shop for over 3 weeks because of one little rattle in the dash. I took the car back like 3 times and it was not fixed. They have been very good about fixing my problem, so I am satisfied. I just want my car back, but they are waiting for this "rubber treatment" to come in. Once it does and is applied, then the car will be fine.

They have taken great care of me, like I said. They gave me a loaner, and also are going to do my 15K service for free (it's around 14K right now, I think).

The problem has kept the car off the road for 3 weeks, but keep in mind I could have the car back right now. They are just not trying to run me back and forth when the part comes in. So that's cool. It's a great car though, I love it!
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    I would think the protective coating is to protect the engine from the salt air. Your car had to be brought over on a barge from South Korea, and the protectant would keep the salt out, I guess.

There are some really good Elantra prices out there right now it seems. Jim Ellis Hyundai in Atlanta (well, Chamblee) is advertising a package 2 (keyless, cruise) Elantra with automatic transmission for $11,995. That seems pretty darn good.
  • pmartinezpmartinez Member Posts: 3
    Here in NEPA picked up 2002 elantra GLS with auto, package #3, floor mats, mud guards,& cargo net in midnight gray for 12,900 which included $750 rebate incentive. When compared to different pricing web sites, this seems to be at just about invoice.
  • dorf47dorf47 Member Posts: 18
    I've just posted 20k on my 2001. I still enjoy driving it, and riding in it. Haven't had any major problems. My check engine light came on at nearly 12k, dealer checked it out and said it was due to a faulty sensor which was mis-reading the shift points. I don't know about that, but the problem hasn't come back. I still feel that this is one of the best cars I've ever bought.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I just returned from a trip to my local Chinese restaurant for takeout, which followed closely a return trip from Chicago. I decided this morning to go there for the day (less than 3 hour drive from Grand Rapids) and had a very comfortable drive there and back. Betsy got just under 33 mpg for the entire trip, which is EPA's estimate, and that was at 80 mph the entire round trip. This car gets better and smoother as we approach 12,000 miles. Big smiles here. :)
  • rsinger2rsinger2 Member Posts: 19
    2002 Elantra GLS, white, package 2, floor mats, $11250, no rebate, took the 1.9%/48 months financing. Walked away from a tempting Subaru WRX, bought this instead (Concord, CA).

Funny, on my way home I passed a brand new BMW M3 bought right next door, same time I got my GLS.

I like the GLS. Clutch engages pretty early, I'll get used to that. Reasonably peppy - stoplight races weren't what I had in mind. I'd consider some changes to improve handling, if they will make me feel more secure/confident while cornering. Some suggestions I've gotten: go up to 16" wheels w/grippier tires; Eibach springs; strut bar (front only?). Anybody done any or all of these things? See a difference? How about a break-in period - nobody said a word about this. Thanks! - Bob
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Dangerous overkill on a freeway where you could get creamed. Keep revs down and vary speed regularly. You should be able to do 60-65 for short periods of time. Be careful about locking it in on cruise-control.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Do not use cruise control until you reach 1000 miles. It's bad for the car to run it at the same speed. Also, don't redline and try not to floor the brakes when stopping either. Follow this for 1000 miles, and you should be ok.
  • brentcadlebrentcadle Member Posts: 14
    I have an Elantra 2001 GLS and I just passed the 54,000 mile mark with NO repairs and still have the factory Michelin tires. Yes, they do smell bad for at least the first week or two. If anyone has bad odors that they would like to be removed from new or old cars (water damage,smoke etc...) I am a Distributor for a company that sells ozone/ion air purifiers. Our units actually remove even the most offensive odors and actually kills mold,mildew, and bacteria. We have units for homes up to 3,000 sq feet and we also have units that run on AC or DC so you can use it in either your car or home. If anyone is interested in more information I can be contacted at brentcadle@hotmail.com.
    That is ALOT of mileage in a short time period! Good to hear you've had no trouble, as well as long tire life from your Michelins. This is my eighth set of Michelins, counting previous cars of course. They have been wonderful (Kelly tires were good on those cars as well).
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Red GLS 5spd with convenience package and package 2. Also mudflaps, mats, and cargo net. After a true piece of junk Nissan truck I bought in '82 I swore I would never buy another Asian vehicle. But after more than six months of research I kept coming back to the Elantra. I drive 50 miles a day in Austin traffic and the 13mpg of my truck was killing me. Anyway, I have 1000 miles on "Hundy, the Red Bug" and am convinced that if this car holds up it will be one of the best vehicles I have owned and DEFINITLY the best buy. Vehicle price was 12,750 as I took the finance over the rebate. So far I am getting 26.5MPG in stop and go heavy traffic.
    But the thing that blows me away is how good the motor sounds when accelerating, then how quiet it is at idle or cruising. The ride is not high performance, but very smooth. No wind noise, no rattles, everything works as designed. Today I needed to get home from church as my wife had to take our little girl home early with a fever. I borrowed a friends Cavalier and could not believe the difference. Here was a high end Cavalier with squeaks, rattles, loud road noise, wind noise and did not run as good as Hundy. I am a dyed in the wool GM man, but on small cars Hyundai has it all over GM. Everytime I get in the car and take off I note that all the controls are in just the right places. The shifter is right where my hand falls, the steering wheel has just the right assist and angle, and the pedals are located just the right distance apart. It is nice to know that someone really understands ergonomics for the average person. I ramble on, but you get my point. Very nice little car.

Jim
    It's funny you mentioned how quiet the Elantra idles. When I took delivery of mine last December, I tried to start it with the engine already running not once, but TWICE before I actually got off the lot! Jeez...

Since that day I've done it one more time.

Perhaps I'm partially deaf from test driving the Pro 5 wagon, but I've never had this problem with any car I've driven before (excluding my parent's Park Ave).
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    I have a GT that ildes at 1000rpms and a GLS that idles at 500-700rpms (4k on GT, less than 1k on GLS) is that weird or what?
    I had the high idle problem referred to in this forum, but it seems to have straightened itself out on its own at about 10-12K.
    My last car was a GM product, the only one I've owned, and the reason I bought my Elantra. I would never go back to GM for any size or type of vehicle. Glad you like your car like the rest of us. :)
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    However, it won't tow the 30' travel trailer. For that, I'll stick with the Sierra 2500. Totally different vehicle, but as good as a truck as the Elantra is a car. But I think it is funny that Hundy has almost as many features as that behemoth for 20K less money!
  • matto2001matto2001 Member Posts: 6
    I am from the St. Louis area. I am looking to get a cruise control installed from a local company that deals with cruise controls as opposed to taking it back to the dealer. Has anyone here had a cruise control added to their Elantra?? I have a 2001 GLS.
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    I had aftermarket cruise control added since we don't get an option for it i nthis part of the world.

The system I have is vacuum actuated and has a choice of stalk or steering wheel control, I got steering wheel control

I can't complain about the system it works well

Have a look at:

http://www.autron.com.au/newweb/index1024.htm

to get an idea about the system I have

Yesterday evening I traveled with two friends to a newly built house in their very new Honda Accord EX, 4 cyl./5-speed. I asked to drive because I am one of those car-sick people if anyone else drives. Let me tell you, for a new car with only 5K miles on it, and a loaded Honda at that, the good shifter is not quite as smooth as my Elantra. It engages well, and the clutch is fine, but along the way from gear to gear it just lacks a bit of smoothness and has that final "notch" when fully placed into gear. The engine winds out nicely (very), but I was glad to have my nice shifter at the end of the evening.
  • okeydokeyokeydokey Member Posts: 12
    I just bought a hyundai Elantra 2002, and I noticed it had a body colored trim on all door sills and around the wheel wells... is this standard from factory? I noticed another Elantra that did not have it. I am curious because I bought the base model car (w/auto $9999) and it didn't list anything extra on the sticker..

let me know, thanks.

OD
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    GT elantra's have black textured door moldings
    GLS have bodycolor smooth moldings
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sounds like a dealer add-on to me. I've never seen an Elantra with doorsill or wheel-well trim, but I've seen other cars with this (very tacky-looking IMHO) dealer "extra". I'm surprised the dealer made no attempt to charge you for it. BTW, what color is your car? I've only seen that added trim in black; body color wouldn't stand out quite so much.
    it is body colored, and feels like soft rubber. by the way, it's not the door molding I am talking about, all the cars seem to come with that, this is sealing the doorsill, would help the car parked next to me if I opened my door hard on their door, and looks decorative on the wheel well.

it blends in well with the paint, didn't even notice it until I parked next to another elantra.
    the car is midnight grey.

OD
    great price!
    Yesterday, the little gem rolled 12,000 smooth and fun miles. This morning I stepped out to a car with a flat tire, which I could have easily changed myself. Instead, I call Roadside Assistance to have someone simply come out and inflate the tire. It was after the call was placed -- very courteous people on the phone, by the way -- that I actually took a closer look and there was the culprit, a screw. The man from a local towing company changed the tire for me (a Hankook, incidentally) and went on his way. Nice.

The bonus was later in the afternoon when taking the tire for its screwectomy. Belle Tire repaired it for free, and said so before I could say that 1) I didn't buy the tires from them and 2) that I have purchased tires and services from them in the past. This particular store (or the whole chain?) repairs a hole for free, just off the street. They will continue to get my business. :)
    From your mileage I take it that you have an 01 or 02. How did you get Hankooks instead of MXV4+'s? Do you like them? The Michelins have proven to be good tires but are priced way to high for my tastes, especially since Tire Rack's consumer surveys only give them a fair rating. I was curious about the Hankooks.
    I have a 2001 GLS in Champagne, purchased last July. The Hankook was the spare tire, the normal service tires are Michelin. Incidentally, I keep reading people's remarks on the price of Michelins. I have not priced them lately, but in the past they were always competitively priced when I put them on my humble '87 Lynx GS (OK, maybe they did cost a little more, but she was worth it). In the end I put on a set of Kell(e)ys, which were quite good as well.
  • jhnep1jhnep1 Member Posts: 9
    I checked the price on the Michelin's installed on my car (2002 GLS) at a Sam's Club Store in Woodridge, Illinois outside of Chicago. The price was $111.95. I could NOT believe they were so expensive.
    Michelins are expensive. As a replacement, I would recommend Yokohama Avid H4's. They are $49 each at Tirerack.com, compared to Michelins @$94. They have a 45,000 treadwear warranty; Michelin has 0. The overall consumer survey rating for this size tire is 7.2 compared to 6.8 for Michelin.

I have Yokohama Avid T4's as replacements for Goodyears on my 2000 Chrysler 300M and they are far superior to the Goodyears. My wife has OEM Michelins on her 2001 300M and I prefer the way mine handles. The surveys rate the T4's higher than Michelin for this class of tire as well and they are far less expensive.
    There are also Michelins out there that test out higher than the OEM's for quite a bit less money.

Question-- (which I could probably find out with some checking)-- Is Michelin still a French company (tough to figure out with some multinationals)? Are Michelin assembly lines different from BF Goodrich and Uniroyal assembly lines are are they all manufactured together and it's just a matter of branding?
    Apparently still very French with lots of family involvement.

Here is the percentage of tire production by manufacturer from Michelin's 2000 annual report:

Michelin 19.4%
    Bridgestone 19.4%
    Goodyear 16.6%
    Continental 7.1%
    Sumitomo 4.9%
    Pirelli 3.9%
    Yokohama 3.5%
    Others 25.2%

I'm suprised Sumitomo outsold Pirelli and Yokohama. I've seen their tires in the showroom and they don't look bad. Anyone with experience?(memory tells me that Tire Rack sells them and ratings aren't great.)
  • acelinkacelink Member Posts: 106
    It seems that Edmunds hasn't completed their wrap-up of the Elantra, which would be the April review. I am wondering too, where is it?
  • bartbikerwbartbikerw Member Posts: 36
    How high did you guys go on the speedometer on you elantras. I also wonder what is the maximum speed on that car. I read that it is 119 mph in some review but it seems for me that since the accent can go at least 115 (from accent forum), Elantra should do at least a little over 120. Thanks.
  • mauvasmauvas Member Posts: 18
    I think there wont be any April Review. The long term road test was just a 11-month road test. It seems they sold the car in ebay last month. I think I saw it posted there for sale last April (or somewhere else). It is a pity we couldn't know more about the long term test from Edmunds. I am a little disapointed about it. I do consider it is up to us to keep posting feedbacks about our long term experience with the Elantra. So far I can't say that much about mine. Just reaching 6000 km after 11 months. I was using the car once or twice a week for errands during the winter. Not need to use it that much. So far, flawless. I got a dent in the drivers door while in a parking lot (a notorious one, I haven't made the claim to the insurance company, because it was a hit and run). Besides that, it got a rattling (also notorious) coming from the globe box. Just going for the third oil change. I have to change the oil because the time, no the miles I rode it.
    There will be a wrap-up of the Elantra; they don't just end long-term tests without one. My guess is that they are still sifting through the owner comments (deadline was 4/22) before finishing the report. Wrap-ups are usually longer because of the additional info.
  • p27552p27552 Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2002 Elantra GLS. It makes a strange whistling type noise usually noticed at speeds between 50 and 70 mph. The service dept. hasn't found the problem. Anyone have the answer? The noise is NOT the a/c or the fan-it happens with the ventilation system on or off.
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    Of course its very hard to tell without hearing the noise in person BUT I will make a suggestion on something to try.

When the noise is happening, Select the fresh air / recirculate switch. I am betting it wil stop IF you select recirculate. WHY? Because as fresh air enters the vehicle, the cabin is somewhat pressurized and this air has to escape somewhere. In the recirculate mode you wil not be adding more air pressure from the outside.

The noise you may be hearing is air escaping past a window seal.

Remember, this is just a hunch.

IF this test does shake out to control the noise you may be then able to find where it is happening with a length of rubber hose held to your ear as your car is sitting there with all windows up and fan blowing MAX and NOT in the recirculate mode. You would listen on the outside around all the window seals and maybe be able hear some air rushing/ wistling past.

I hope this gives you some ideas and that I amy have guessed whats going on .

Good luck
    Does your car have a sunroof wind deflector on it? Mine sometimes produces some weird whistling noises.
  • lokannalokanna Member Posts: 22
    I too have the same problem on my Elantra, however, it mainly surfaces when I hit 80mph and it's not all the time. Someone recommended I look at my front bumper to see if it's loose. I haven't found that to be true but who knows. I will be taking my car in most likely next week to get it checked out. I drive a 2002 GLS with package 5. I'll post any solutions I may get :)
    I just returned from a spin around town, and a trip to the dealer with a friend. It seems that the newer shipments of Elantra GLS have a muted beige interior (no grey changes that I could see). It looks like the orange specks have been eliminated or severely muted, and the blue specks are now a purple shade, much fainter. I looked at several models with beige inside (to ensure my sanity), and the small changes make a big improvement to me; it is one of the few details I dislike in my car. For those leaning away from blue, white, cranberry or champagne because of the interior, you might look again and reconsider.

They also had one GLS in the dark gray exterior color with a factory (or port-installed) rear spoiler for $395 on the sticker. Not horrible, but "no thanks" just the same.
  • rjwinerjwine Member Posts: 5
    I believe I also have the noise you are hearing. I have noticed it happens only at higher speeds in windy weather, and increases with speed. It seems to occur only in fairly strong cross winds. It was suggested on the Yahoo message board that it may be associated with the rubber moldings that run along the windshield and up over the roof.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, too late for me, but at least no other GLS buyers need suffer with the infamous dog puke interior. RIP. Now if Hyundai would fix the air bag sensor and driver's seat track problems (the causes of the poor IIHS offset crash test score), I would have no significant gripes about the Elantra.
  • smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Hi all,

I have an O1 Elantra GLS. Just turned 28K miles and I had the Auto Transmission service, coolant replaced, tires balanced and rotated and my second alarm transmitter programmed (I had an early 01 Elantra and only received 1 transmitter - Hyundai sent me another transmitter but I never go it programmed until now!). Anyway, the service department didn't charge me to program the transmitter - they put the work as warranty work. I did my own oil change and replaced the spark plugs and air filter myself. Took the car on a 12 mile run after I had replaced the spark plugs. Seems to run a little more smoothly (not like it was running rough before). I ended up using Bosch Platinum Tipped spark plugs. This car has been perfect. Not a single problem as of yet. Knock on wood.

Happy commuting,

Shawn
  • bartbikerwbartbikerw Member Posts: 36
    I didn't get too many responses last time. Does anyone know the top speed for Elantra?
  • pewter2002pewter2002 Member Posts: 9
    Bartbiker, most guys tell me they reach an impasse around 115 to 120
    apparently. I also get a weird whistle at 80 mph during cross-winds...it comes and go, usually disappears when I drop down to 70 mph. Sometimes I get no whistle at all.