Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    Looks like it has something in common with horror movies and 50s hockey goalies masks:(
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    ... let them change their minds for the American version. Why have two brands if a Hyundai looks like a Kia Optima? I'll keep mine, thank you, until the Elantra is totally redone.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I really hope the U.S. version has a different front end. I think the Optima is ugly. The Elantra picture looks a lot like the Optima. I prefer the current Elantra styling to that monstrosity.
  • banddexpressbanddexpress Member Posts: 63
    Just took home an elantra gls with auto. The car had keyless entry and cruise went to best buy for a cd player also got mud guards and floormats and spoiler for 12500. NOt sure if that is a great price or not but an echo from toyota was going to run about 14600. Sure hope it holds up. I was wondering has anyone bought the extended warranty from the sight that is on edmunds. They wanted $1300 for theirs at the dealership and it was cigna not the hyundai one. Just curious let me know and wish me luck. Thanks
    Brent
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Congrats on your new Elantra! My Mom just bought an auto GLS and I'm eager to take it for a spin on the highway since I own an ECHO. My ECHO has been the quietest small car on the highway (80mph+). The dealer my Mom bought her's from really pressured her to get the extended warranty but I told her not to. Those usually cover only defects and by the time 5 years have gone by, I'd say that your chances of proving defect is slim to none.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Your Echo is the quiestest small car on the highway?!? What others have you driven?
  • canpamcanpam Member Posts: 24
    I had a chance to see everything from the major auto manufactures on display. The majority of the crowd congregated around the Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai displays. There were small crowds at the Mitsubishi and Mazda booths.

I was impressed with the Acura TSX (amazing interior) and the Honda Element (looks better in person). The Toyota Corolla had a really nice interior and the new Sienna was first class--blows the competiton away.

I must admit that I was impressed with Hyundai holding its own at the show, the Sonata, Santa Fe and Elantra had great interiors--on the same level as Honda. The Sonata was especially attractive. The Santa Fe's interior had a quality look and feel, its hard to describe but if you sat in the vehicle you would know what I'm talking about. Even the Accent had a quality look and feel.

I really liked the Maxima's exterior but the interior was really cheap looking--I don't know why? The passenger side dash board looked like it was out of a Ford F-150. The Nissan Titan was another story, it was MASSIVE! It seems that trucks are a big thing in the south and a year from now I predict that there will be thousands of Nissan Titans blocking the Kentucky interstate.

Surprisingly, there were very few people around the luxury auto makes (e.g.; Mercedes,Lexus, Audi, Buick & Cadillac)
    The Elantra is quite nice. It rides like a more expensive car and is very quiet. The only noises at 80mph were some noticable wind noise around the A-pillar and the groan of the engine under acceleration. The a/c was fine but the middle registers don't have much movement. The Michelin Energy tires are very quiet-I've had them on another car of mine and was very happy with them. Front legroom is generous but the back seat lacks thigh support and headroom. It's the same headroom as my ECHO in the rear. I am looking at the GT Hatchback for myself as I might be moving cities soon and the carrying space would come in handy. The gas mileage doesn't seem very good-mid to high 20's? My Mom is very happy with her Elantra so far!
    Mid to high 20s is what to expect once the engine is broken in if you do in-town driving. I get high 20s in my GLS in around-town driving, including some stop-and-go rush hour stuff, but I drive with a light foot most of the time. You should do better on the highway--better at 70 than at 80 ;-) .
    Forgot to mention the a/c filter! I went to the dealer to order one-the filter element goes into a tray behind the glovebox. It's only $12.98!!! My Toyota element is $38! The Elantra's is a little more trouble to get to. There's a metal bracket that needs to be removed before you can get the tray out.
  • ems1ems1 Member Posts: 48
    Do you have the part number for the Elantra cabin filter? I want to get one for my car but the dealer never heard of it. They wanted to sell me one from the Tiberon for about $30 and they weren't sure it would fit.
    I don't know the part number. When I went in to the dealer, I told the parts guy that the manual mentions a cabin filter for the Elantra. After a few minutes of searching, he said there is one but he didn't have any in stock. He didn't make me pay up front as he said he probably should order a few to have on hand. In the Elantra manual, they even show the tray the element goes into and how to remove it. I'll be back in Vegas in a couple of weeks and can let you know then what the part number is. If you remove the glovebox bin(squeeze the sides and then remove the elastic tether on the right side) you'll see an 's' shaped bracket held by two phillips screws. The tray for the element is right behind it.
    When I bought the element for my ECHO, I removed the tray and brought it into the parts dept. to find one that fit it-the one for the Prius did.
    $30 seems like a huge difference from $12.98!!!
    I called 5 dealers around a 80 mile radius and none of them sale the actualy hyundai advantage warranty isn't that hard to believe? They all sell extended warranties but they are after market. Need to find someone that sales the actual hyundai warranty would appreciate any feedback. Thanks
    Brent
  • lyndon5lyndon5 Member Posts: 20
    Just noticed the fifth corner bumper hit in two years on our 01 Elantra. One of the hits on the passenger rear was so hard that the other car's bumper slipped underneath and also scratched the muffler. I can't imagine how the tail light and rear fender survived untouched.
    The only positive is that after several applications of polishing compound to remove the scuff marks and some touch up paint, the bumpers retain their shape and look okay.
    Nothing like our 97 Sentra that popped a bracket and showed bumper sag each of the two times that it received a parking lot corner bumper hit.
    That story adds some real-world validity to the IIHS bumper crash tests, which showed the Elantra did very well in its class.
  • npkbnpkb Member Posts: 25
    I purchased this one 7 weeks ago and it has about 1400 miles on it. I followed the break-in rules in the manual slavishly. I love the car, except I noticed that the Engine noise has gone up drastically. Is this normal for a Hyundai? I've seen some Kia's that make horrendous noise. Hope my Elantra doesn't turn out that way.

Also, are you guys experiencing wind-noise? Elantra is better in this respect compared to several other cars, but it would be great if I can get this one fixed. Dealer tried readjusting left mirror and finally gave up on the wind-noise. They said it was normal with other cars in the same class.

Any suggestions?
    The increasing engine noise doesn't sound right; I've noticed no upturn in engine noise during the 2-1/2 years I've owned my Elantra. One thing to consider is, during the break-in period, did you rev the engine past 4000 rpm? If not, have you revved it past that recently? There's a big increase in power, also a noticeable increase in noise, over about 4000 rpm on the Elantra. If you used a light foot during break in and since then have been revving the engine, this might account for an increase in noise. If not, I'd ask to drive another '03 Elantra to see if you notice the same noise level.

Re wind noise, many owners report some wind noise from the A pillar at freeway speeds. My car has a little wind noise on the A pillar, but less wind noise than other cars of this class I have owned. You might try applying a silicone lubricant to the weatherseals.
    You were right about the filter! Apparently, the parts guy we spoke with mistook the housing faceplate for the actual filter! The element IS the one from the Tiburon(I was told the housing faceplate is the same parts number so the filter should fit). They quoted me $51 which, although pricey, seems to be more in line for the type of filter that it is. Unlike the one in my ECHO, which was a fiber filter sheet, this one is a self-contained filter like the ones homes have. BTW, I just bought a GT Hatchback with 5spd! I have a filter on order for both my Mom's GLS and my GT. I'll let you know how it works next month.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Have you checked the oil since you got your car? Any new car tends to use more oil during "break-in". If the engine is making more noise now than when new, something's not right. If your oil level is low, the engine will make more noise and it's a prescription for premature engine failure, which the warranty won't cover.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    Right now I get around 22 miles a gallon on my Elantra it has 1,ooo miles on it. Should the gas improve when the car gets broken in and how long before a car gets broken in? Thanks for the help
    Brent
    Thanks for your responses. codata99 - Great link! I am gonna try this out.

As for the Engine noise, I never revved above 4rpm. I constantly switch between premium and regular gas types. Do you think varying gas grades has anything to do with it. My friend was suggesting that could be the reason and that I should just stick to one (something about Engine knocks).
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Elantras are quite slow at breaking in, there have been some reports that mileage improves slightly up to about 10K miles.

I think higher grade gas is largely a waste of money for an engine not requiring it ALTHOUGH someone on the Hyundai owners forum told me to move to 89 octane during the summer--increased mileage would offset increased cost. Since many pumps around here increase octane by putting in ethanol and since ethanol produces less power than gasoline, I can't figure out how that would help-- but he says that it did. I can't think of any way that it would affect engine noise.
    I have just over 400 miles on my GT 5-spd. and have been getting great mpg. On my return from Vegas to LA, the trip computer showed 29mpg average. I checked it against the trip meter/gallons filled to verify. Upon my return, I discovered the reason why: the tires were inflated to 40psi! I'm assuming this was done prior to shipping?
    I've since lowered my psi to 35. Still higher than the manual says but ride/handling hasn't been affected in a big way and I'm still getting 27mpg in light urban traffic. My Mom's Elantra GL has been getting much lower mpg but she's had her tires at 30psi. I told her to increase it to 33psi to see how her mpg improves.
    LOVE MY GT! I really have to keep an eye on the speedometer to keep from speeding because the car is sooooo quiet and smooth!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I think the GT is a great car, certainly the most appealing Elantra, and I am glad you are really happy with it... but... 29 MPG is not really an accomplishment for a compact car with a manual transmission- the new Accords, which are larger and quicker, are getting 32 MPG.

This highlights the one area where I feel Hyundai still has some room to grow, and represents my one qualm with the make. Most of Hyudai's engines are average in power yet lag in fuel economy compared to competitors. Now that quality and manufacturing has seen a jump, I'd like to see some impressive engineering.

Happy Driving
    ~alpha
    The mpg's reported in this forum have been in the low 20's for a new engine so I was expecting similar performance. I traded an ECHO so I was always getting 30-38mpg. While not exceptional, the Elantra gets similar mileage to Focus and other compact cars in real world driving. Even my ECHO would hit 28mpg in heavy LA traffic. My best comparison would be my Ford ZX-2 which weighed less than my GT but had similar performance; ZX-2 18-28mpg. Being that my GT stickers for 15k, any fuel savings by an Accord would be purely statistical as the Accord costs A LOT more. :)
    Alpha, you may get your wish this fall if the VVT engine with more power and better mpg does in fact make it to the U.S.-spec '04 Elantras.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    According to another elantra forum/fan site, the VVT-i engine will have 143 hp @6000 rpm and 135 lb/ft torque @4500 rpm; this is an improvement, but I hope the power is better distributed in the lower rpm ranges. But with max hp and torque at 6000 and 4500 respectively, the improvements may not be as great as elantra fans had hoped. No info about MPG's though. Changes to the 04 Elantra GT according to the site include a revised grille, bumpers, clear tail light lenses, as well as aluminum dash trim and an alloy pedal set. Brakes and air bags are said to be upgraded as well.
    Please tell us what the other site is and where to find it. I am interested in seeing the changes for '04; hopefully the horrific GLS grille posted elsewhere here will be blacked out or designed differently for the GT.

kaz6, my GLS comes very close to the EPA hwy. rating of 33. My overall average has been about 27-28, and we are now at nearly 30K miles.
    I have posted a link to this site before in the GT forum, but my post was deleted by the hosts because it was in violation of the member agreement. I can't post the link because the site also has a forum that would "compete" with Edmunds Town Hall. If you do an internet search for Elantra GT, you might find it. The only thing I can say is the site has a aqua/turquoise blue background.

This site is a GT enthusiast club, but has GLS members as well. The spot at that site where I found the information was just some with basic info about the 2004, with pictures only of the 2003 Korean GT's( which will be 2004 in other markets)interior( the stereo will have cassette and CD players, and aluminum trim,pedals), and a link to a pic of the VVT-i engine. No pics of tailights /headlights, or grille
    Thanks for the info. I think it is gwebworks.com. I'll go look again for 2004 info.
    That is NOT the website I was referring to , but gwebworks.com is a very good/informative website. It IS called "The Hyundai Elantra GT Club". I hope this doesn't get deleted :)
    you are right, that wasn't it ... but I didn't find '04 pics on the other sites
  • bria5bria5 Member Posts: 5
    I purchased my new Elantra GLS on the first of this month. I now have about 1280k miles on it. I was wondering if it was normal to experience moderate acceleration noise when driving after having come to a complete stop. I don't remember hearing this during the test drive or during the first week or so. I am concerned that the noise could be due to putting on as many miles as I have on it in a short period of time. I know some sound is expected with a 4 cylinder, but I wonder it it's too much noise for a brand new car. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I know that my son's Elantra GLS tends to slowly "rev down" on stops. I think that's more a function of the engine management computer than anything else. Nothing to be worried about, though.

My son reports high 20s MPG in town and low 30s highway driving. His is a 5-speed and since he's a "cash poor" student, he drives it to get good gas mileage than performance.

All-in-all, it's been a great car, so far. He's got about 5K miles on it.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    My best comparison would be my Ford ZX-2 which weighed less than my GT but had similar performance; ZX-2 18-28mpg.
    I think your ZX-2 was geared much higher than the Elantra or maybe your engine wasn't running properly.
    The mileage you reported on your long trip seems to be low for a compact car.
    What are the EPA ratings for the Elantra?
    The Focus with similar to ZX2 2.0L Zetec gets at least 33-35 mpg on highway.
    And the old Zetec is not consiedered to be a frugal engine.
  • wdoranwdoran Member Posts: 31
    Just purchased a GLS, couldn't be more pleased. For last 25 years only purchased Nissan's and Honda's. Last year a 2002 Maxima SE for my wife. This car is fantastic for the price. So quiet and smooth I can't keep it below the recommended 50 MPH for break-in period. Fit, finish and overall quality is in $20,000 plus car category.
  • mauvasmauvas Member Posts: 18
    From the Autopacific web site, just release on May 2nd.....

"Results of a study released today at AutoPacific's Industry Update Conference reveal high owner satisfaction with new 2003 model year cars and light trucks. AutoPacific's VSS (Vehicle Satisfaction Score) study is an industry benchmark for objective measure of new vehicle owner satisfaction.

In addition to identifying segment winners, VSS also establishes numerical ratings for virtually every passenger car and light truck in the North American market. VSS also calculates satisfaction in 41 specific areas related to each vehicle's operation, comfort, safety and purchase/lease experience. Ratings reflect input from over 36,000 buyers and lessees of new vehicles acquired September-December 2002.

TOP PERFORMER IN THE COMPACT SEGMENT....just guess....
    Hyundai Elantra !!!!! (tied with
    Volkswagen New Beetle -a repeat winner-)

Olso in the LIGHT TRUCKS segment the KIA Sorento is a top performer in the category of Standard Mid-Size Sport Utility Vehicles.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    My friend bought an 03 Elantra GT sedan this weekend. He was very impressed with the car's features and performance. He got a 5 speed with sunroof for 15k even (before tax, tag, and gap insurance). Not a good deal, but 600 below sticker and not bad when you look at the features list. I also got $100 from the dealer for referring him since I just bought an 03 Tiburon GT from them 2 weeks ago. He let me drive it and I must say, the engine is very smooth, quiet and willing to rev, everything my 03 Suzuki Aerio was not (part of the reason I ran back to Hyundai). How effortlessly and quickly this car gains speed is impressive. The shifter and clutch were the best I have ever encountered from Hyundai, and even surpassed my mom's 92 Accord in smoothness and feel. Interior room and comfort is good and so is the ride and handling. The lit keyhole and power window switches is a very nice touch.

I did notice a few downsides: The purple gauges do look cool but are sort of hard to read at night and strained my eyes some, plus they clash too much with the green console lights. The steering wheel rim is way too thin. The Accent and Tiburon have much thicker wheels that feel better in your hand. The leather was so-so in quality and appearance, but acceptable given the price. The back seat lacks a center armrest. I also noticed an air leak coming from the driver's door that sounded like the window was cracked open. I bet this car was affected by the TSB mentioned earlier and I notified my friend in case it annoys him (he didn't seem to notice it but he blares his music).

Overall though, the Elantra is still an excellent buy in the 3rd year of its current design. The fact that my friend bought the car truly shows Hyundai is improving its image. He is a big time status person and this is the cheapest new car he has ever bought and yet he seems to be extremely happy with it. He wanted a used Rodeo so bad (he used to own a $26k 01 Rodeo that he loved dearly, but let it go during his bankruptcy even though he could afford to keep it), but I talked him into looking at new Hyundais instead. I never thought he would actually buy one!
    Well, boys and girls, today I hit the big 30K mile mark! And it was just in time for my 30K mile maintenance this afternoon. My dealer performed this service for under $200, including coolant flush, tire rotation, air filter, PCV, etc. The only concerns I had were a slight groaning noise when depressing the clutch pedal (release pivot bushings are on order, under warranty) and a squeak when releasing the brake.

When the car was ready, I was told that a wheel bearing had been ordered and that the "bad" one was causing noise. I never noticed bearing noise until my car was returned to me. Not loud but still noticeable, and very strange timing.

All in all, a good performance. Brakes are still OK, shifting and acceleration are fine, tires are still in good shape, the car rides well and quietly and it looks great.

On to my next 30,000. Cheers!

P.S. When wandering around the showroom, I noticed that recent Elantras are now being shipped with a black, twisty antenna, one that will likely survive the car wash. A smart upgrade.
  • ramblin_moramblin_mo Member Posts: 29
    How would you compare the ride between the Aerio and the Elantra. Did it ride better?

I've followed your ordeal with the Aerio. I have an 03 FWD Auto Aerio and am most unhappy with the ride/comfort on the highway. It has performed flawlessly otherwise.
    I've thought about the Elantra or maybe a Sonota. I'm sure that I would take it in the shorts in the trade.
    I'm sure the Sonota would ride better, not sure about the Elantra.
    I would say the Elantra GT is a more comfortable riding car than the Aerio. It seemed to feel very stable with just the right compromise between compliance and tight handling. The regular Elantra has an even softer more comfortable ride so you might want to look into those if you prefer comfort over handling. The Sonata has a very plush ride, but feels a bit too disconnected handling wise for my tastes. I felt the Aerio had a good ride for such a small wheelbase, but small impacts (like expansion strips and small potholes) were transmitted with way too much harshness and it felt a little skittish when hitting those bumps at high speeds. From what I could tell, the Elantra seems to handle those sort of bumps much better.
  • ACCENTACCENT Member Posts: 10
    Just looking at the hyundai-motor.com web site and saw, that they are showing the updated verison of the Avante (Elantra in the U.S.). The car also has the 2.0L VVT engine. Don't know the horsepower ratings, since it is in korean.

http://www.hyundai-motor.com/cybermall/showroom/index_3.html
    Oh dear. Looks like I will indeed keep my '01 for a long long time. Is that grille someone's idea of a bad joke?
    I happen to like the new grille, because I think that it adds a little bit of class to the front end. I do think that the GT grill should be blackened though. I think the improvements to the interior are very nice, including the gauges and interesting feaures such as the "purse hook" on the back of the passenger seat, and the toll ticket holder. I think I also saw buttons for heated seats behind the auto trans. Overall I think it is a very nice update, especially the engine!!
    maybe it'll grow on me. The 360 view on the website helps a bit. Just the same, it really is a Kia grille.

Overall, the car is so nice just as it is, that it really only needed minor changes. That is saying something.
    One can of flat black spray paint and some masking tape.

I noticed they didn't change the rear end, which I'm glad to see because I like the current rear styling.
    I like the styling improvements. The jewel-like tailight design with the circular brake light motif (all Hyundais use that design right now; kind of a family design trait) looks sporty and more expensive. The larger chrome grill, more aggressively designed lower bumper, larger headlights, and more prominent hood bulge gives the front a sportier, more grown-up look. I think they did a good job. Recently, every updated Hyundai design has looked better than the original in my eyes. Hyundai seems to be on a roll.