Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    ok. 02 and 03, 15,000 and under msrp, Hyundai Elantra won. This year, not even in "top 2".

My gripe(s) goes like this:
    1) Edmunds got an 01 Elantra(no, Elantra did not win 01, either)... and did a Long Term test drive, BEFORE they voted it #1 for 2002(since 02 was virtually same car anyways as 01).
    They put over 15,000 miles on it.

2) Mazda3 is #1, and only been out 3-4 weeks? How can this be?
    Hyundai DID NOT "get a free ride", why Mazda3?
    The "new' Civic is #2.
    Have any of these cars been driven for 15,000 miles, BEFORE they got #1(like Elantra ?). No, of course not.

Is it even 04 yet?

Thought last judgement they made for Editors Most Wanted was March of 2003, not Nov first of 2002 for 03's.

Hope I do not get booted from this website, but, I think they lost a tad bit of creditbility. Hyundai needed a year/15,000 miles before they voted for it.

Everyone else gets 1 hour drive and the vote of "yes", this is the best?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Actually, I thought it was interesting that Edmunds.com voted the Mazda3 (which looks like it will be a fine small car) "Most Wanted" before it is even available for sale in North America. They haven't even done a full test on it yet. Also, note that they voted it the most wanted sedan under $15k, but the picture they used for the award page was for the Mazda3 hatchback. The other thing is that the only Mazda3 that can be had for under $15k is the Mazda3 i sedan with no options. That means no A/C, no power windows/locks/mirrors, no side air bags, no remote keyless entry, no height-adjustable driver's seat--all standard on the base Elantra GLS. Personally I wouldn't call a stripper version of the Mazda3 "most wanted"--I doubt many will be equipped that way.

As for the Civic, since this category was for cars under $15k, the Civic that they gave Honorable Mention to must be either the DX sedan or the Value Package sedan, since all the other sedans are over $15k. Now I think Civics are good little cars, especially in EX trim, but I ask you: would you rather have an Elantra GLS with power everything, side air bags, multi-adjustable driver's seat, 138 hp, and the Hyundai warranty, or a stripper Civic sedan with 115 hp, crank windows and manual locks and mirrors? Actually, given the rebates available on Elantras, you could probably get an Elantra GT for the price of the Civic DX with A/C, or the VP.

As for me, I'd rather have my '01 GLS than any other sub-$15k car available today. I think the Mazda3 will turn out to be a better car overall than the Elantra, but at a much higher price, and I don't know for sure because Mazda3s aren't available to test-drive yet.
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    I did see on wardsauto.com, on Nov 3rd, that for Mazda sales figures, they sold few mazda3's(just a bit over 500), so it does not sound like they have been out long, or only in limited releases.
    But, I do agree, why would a stripped down car(in this day of "I want it all in my vehicle") be Most Wanted, and has Barely even hit the showrooms?
    Yes, the mazda3 looks good, I agree.
    but, on sale, I could have had a 03 GT hatchback(or sedan) for 13,999, or 14,99 if not a Hyundai owner(they had 2,500 off, plus 1000 for current Hyundai owners).

I dunno.
    Also, this is a Hyundai forum, but since Kia is now called a sister company, the Amanti is coming out in December(the xg350, in a more "expensive looking" package).
    From what I have researched, XG350 has had Zero recalls in 4 years or so since it's release...so the Amanti should do well, also.
    Think in the under 25K they picked a VW?
    If I had the cash, I would not mind driving a car that looks like a Benz/Bentley/Jag(lines) for $23K.
    To me, That deserves a shot for 04 car under 25K.
    (read it will have the equiptment of cars costing 35-40K, by other companies).
    Like the GLS, Loaded like a 20K cars, for 13K on sale.....the Amanti would do the same in it's class.

Maybe they got tired of giving it to Hyundai for 2 years in-a-row?
    At least Hyundai Earned It!

If they had Tested these cars for a year(ok, civic is solid car, but the one I drove, hate to say it, Underwhelmed me) and said"mazda3 is #1, etc..I may have to say"ok, they earned it".

What gets me, is that people Bash Hyundai on main page(despite Factual Information/long term test drives on Elantra), yet will accept this Mazda3 #1 w/o a test drive, even.
    Hunh?

Whatever.
    Have a good week.
  • jjbondjjbond Member Posts: 9
    Finally tallied the mpg on my '03 Elantra. With an odometer of 550, I got 25.78 MPG on the last tank. Mostly city driving.

Quick question - Purchased it at the end of October from the dealer. How do I tell if the recall fix has been done or not?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Tell 'em what you think - editor@edmunds.com
    Yes, some Mazda3's have been ordered, so Mazda can report that cars have been sold, but they have not yet been delivered to customers in the U.S.--so no one has actually driven one yet except a few people from the press.

But back to the Elantra--scheduled the brake line recall for Wednesday. Will have them take another look at the weatherstripping too to see if they can eliminate the wind noise.
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    I thought I was the only one that thought it was strange the "NEW" Mazda 3 was picked in the Edmunds 04 best of lineup...

Made me go hmnnnnnnnnnnn....

ElantraStan
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I just read in the Detroit Free Press online edition www.freep.com that Hyundai will extend the current long warranty till 2008. This demonstrates that the company remains confident (as we are) in its ever-increasing quality. Perhaps it also indicates that warranty costs remain very manageable. Same article mentions the new Tucson SUV, likely based on the Elantra platform as some of us have discussed, yes?
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    I upgraded my 01 Elantra CD player 2 months ago to a Pioneer DEH-P5500MP. I didn't want to have to listen to the radio anymore and its endless commercials and I didn't want to install a CD changer. With this deck I can now listen to MP3 CDs I have made that have 10 or more albums on the same CD. You do of course have to convert your audio CDs to MP3 or WMA and then burn them on new CDs.
    This deck has excellent audio, much better than the Hyundai CD.
    It was selling for $239 at circuit city but I got it from www.gopcplus.com/pcplus/ for $165 plus $12 S&H.
    I also got a harness for it from www.autotoys.com for $9.50 + $3.50 S&H.
    So if anyone out there is considering upgrading your unit this one is worth considering. :)
  • wyoelantrawyoelantra Member Posts: 2
    I have an 03 GLS with 3600 miles that to date has been a great car. I was looking at some pictures of other Elantras and noticed that they have tweeters in the upper door. Mine doesn't have these and I was wondering if some do and some don't. Thanks for the help.
    The tweeters come with any GLS package that has the stereo upgrade. If you don't have one of those packages, you don't get the tweeters. They are standard on the GT.
    I think in 2003 all Elantra models were upgraded to include tweeters in the doors. I've seen cassette-equipped models with these.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    If anyone wants an idea of possible future safety upgrades for the Elantra, check out the just released Kia Cerato (go to future vehicles forum). This car will replace the Spectra here, although we are unsure if it will carry the Cerato name. Anyway, this car is basically a reskinned Elantra with lots of interesting new features. If you look at the interior of the Cerato, you will notice the front door panels are exact replicas of the Elantra's, right down to the power window switches and tweeters. What you will also notice is head airbags that pop out of the roof for front and rear passengers (in addition to the airbag that pops out of the seat)and an active front seat that reclines while the headrest moves up to reduce whiplash injuries (just like the Saab and Volvo design)! I couldn't believe the little Kia had these features!! They also showed beautiful leather seats, heated seats, a radio control stalk on the left of the steering wheel just like the cruise control stalk, traction control, electronic brake force distribution, and a navigation system. I wouldn't expect the navigation system to make the voyage over here but if the rest does, this car would be a hit. It looks great inside and out and the features list would blow everything out of the water in its price class. The interior is almost a dead ringer for the Sonata's but at an Elantra's price. It really makes the Elantra look plain and boring. Well, check the car out guys and tell me what you think of its looks.
  • ellandryellandry Member Posts: 66
    hmm my 03 Elantra does not have the tweeters either but I did not get to choose any packages mine came with the cassette/stereo and I got the dealer to throw in a free 6 cd disc changer in the trunk
    Keep in mind that features offered in the Korean market don't always make it to the rest of the world. After all, Korean Elantras are available with a navigation system, automatic climate control and steering wheel mounted audio controls.
    I realize that. But the increase in safety features may represent an improvement for the 05 Elantra. The US is safety feature happy and now that the Elantra platform has been designed to offer head airbags, it's only a matter of time before they show up here.
  • aradtkearadtke Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about selling my older Hyundai car
    in a private sale and then buying a new Elantra but I don't want to miss out on the $1000 loyalty owner rebate.

What are the rules regarding the loyalty owner rebate? Must I buy the new car first before selling my old car? Or do they give you some leeway? I would very much prefer to sell my old car first.

Has anyone used the loyalty owner rebate - what does the dealer check for?
    www.hyundaiusa.com says that you must be "currently a registered owner of a vehicle distributed by Hyundai Motor America" to get the loyalty rebate. It also says to check your dealer for details. One thing you could do is reach an agreement to sell your car (e.g. to a private party or dealer) and execute a signed purchase agreement stating the price and other terms (and get a non-refundable deposit from the buyer) but make the effective date the next day. Then go buy the new car, and the next day finalize the sale of your used car and turn over the title then.
  • obsidianblackobsidianblack Member Posts: 35
    Can't really call it a design flaw, but I bet I've whacked my head a half dozen times on the trunk latch while getting things in and out of the trunk. Wife has done it, too. Dunno if the trunk just doesn't open high enough or that latch is positioned just right for us to hit our heads on it. Did it twice yesterday!! I'm sure the rest of you are getting a good laugh out of it and to tell you the truth if it happened to someone else rather than me, I'd laugh, too!! OUCH!!
      Lemme know if there's any other poor saps out there who have done it, too!
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Whack my head almost every time I go in the trunk. Since I only actually go in there maybe once a month I keep forgetting. ;(
    That is my number 2 gripe with this vehicle. Poor transmission shifting is my number 1 gripe. ( still shifts erratic after the latest program update,have the 01 elantra)
    Never noticed if my '03 has tweeters or not. Will let you know. Wonder if it depends when exactly the vehicle was made whether it has them, or not.
      Was wondering about the side air bags. Just where in the door are those little gizmos packed away? in the "upholstered" part? Bet ya can't get a patrolman to get you back in your car if you've locked your keys in for love nor money!! Between the bags and powe locks they'd be an accident just waiting to happen!
      A little behind some of you, but I just saw the Consumer's report '04 "Big Issue" that looks like a paper back book. Their ratings for the '02 Elantra look very favorable. Gotta believe the '03's will rate out even better.
      Any one any idea if Hyundai plans on building a plant in the US? Or do they already?!
      Still feel the bumps on my head from the #@*& trunk latch!! Swore a blue streak in the store parking lot when it happened!!
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    I think the side airbags are on the sides of the front seats, not in the doors. There should be a small "patch" or "tag" on the outsides of the seats that says "side airbag" or something similar to that.
    OK, so I guess that makes sense. I do remember seeing those little "tags". Thanks!!
  • bronxbuyerbronxbuyer Member Posts: 6
    just about 10 days and 600 miles into our new 03 elantra GLS and my wife and i have each hit our head on the trunk once. it hurt like hell, so i think there's a chance i'll remember the next time i get something out of there. other than that, we have no complaints at all, only reliable and comfortable driving.

hey obsidianblack.. in regards to your question about a hyundai usa manufacturing plant, this website may answer your question.

http://www.hmmausa.com/
  • themanxthemanx Member Posts: 110
    Bronx, my wife and I have hit our heads on the trunk as well.. sure wish the trunk opened up more!

There are some mods out there that change the way the trunk opens that some owners are doing, mostly for car shows and tricking out their rods.

ElantraStan
  • jjbondjjbond Member Posts: 9
    I gave myself a good knock the other day...

Here's a question - is this truly a poor design, or is this the normal rate of clumsiness for any car's trunk access?
    Probably no poorer a design than any other small car with a short rear deck and a low sill. My last car, a '97 Sentra, was worse. I've owned my Elantra for over 3 years and have hit my head on the trunk lid maybe once. But I'm only 5'9". Probably could get around this by using gas struts, but that's pretty expensive for a car designed to sell at a profit for around $10k.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    When is Hyundai going to update their website to include information on the 2004 Elantra? I apologize if this is a repeat request, but what are the major changes to the model for 04? Pricing is already available on carsdirect.com, so I dont know what is delaying the Hyundai corporate page. Is anyone aware of any modifications to the SRS which would lift the vehicle from the depths of the IIHS doghouse (IIHS rated the Elantra's structure well, but Poor overall to the very very late airbag deployment in 2 of 3 tests). Has fuel economy or power increased with the advent of VVT for the 2.0L??? Finally- when is the vehicle scheduled for a COMPLETE redesign- the in 2005 as a 2006 MY?

Thanks in advance,
    alpha

PS- about Edmunds "Most Wanted"- who cares? I still think the Elantra is a fine small car, and put VERY little credo in Edmunds.com road test and evaluations, for reasons I shouldnt get into here....
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    Yes, the website has been updated for the 2004 Elantra within the last few days ( about time :)). The styling has been altered slightly( not sure if it is an improvement though), the interior has been changed with reportedly better materials, and the hp is up to 138 from 135. Not sure about fuel economy numbers or safety scores/improvements.

There finally is a TV commercial for the 04 Elantra too ( Saw it right after I noticed the website was updated).
    Guys I have a new 03 Elantra GLS and I see on all the info on the car that the power rearview mirrors are heated? If so how does one activate the heat to them?
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Thanks, my bad, I'll check out the new site.
    Take care.

~alpha
    The heated mirrors activate automatically when you turn on the rear defroster.
    We'll have to wait and see if the IIHS tests the '04 Elantra before we'll know if the late-deploying air bag and seat rails are no longer an issue. Hyundai claims there never was a problem with the SRS, that the tests were an anomoly, but they did redesign the seat rails (longer, beefier) a couple of years ago. I don't know if that mod made it into the '04 models sold here; initially they went only into units sold in Korea.

As for mpg, if I remember right the mpg number is up just a bit for the 5-speed and down just a bit for the automatic, compared to the '03 model.

As for redesign, Hyundai typically follows a five-year cycle with a refresh for the fourth year. They've held to the refresh timing for the Elantra, and we know a new platform is imminent for use with a new SUV, the Spectra replacement, and the Elantra, so my bet is on a redesign for the '06 model year. They'll need one too to stay competitive with the Mazda3, the '06 Civic (probably a redesign), the soon-to-be-redesigned Focus, the Cobalt et. al.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    The new Spectra looks like it has a real evolutionary Elantra look to it. As I get older, I kind of like car lines that evolve (like the Golf for instance) rather than something entirely different looking each time (like the first three generations of Elantra).

I do hope that Kia and Hyundai don't become as similar as Dodge and Chrysler/Plymouth in the nineties however. The Optima/Sonata certainly moves in that direction.
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    There's some posted in the Sonata topic for anyone interested. Haven't seen any for the Elantra yet so it's probably too soon.
  • taytotayto Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to get an Elantra very shortly, but am having trouble deciding between the '03 and '04. I prefer the hood latch and the view out the back (the '03 has high head supports) of the '04 over the '03. I put my personal preference at about $500 difference, but still need to test drive more to be sure. My question is what you think the difference in resale value in 5 years would be between the two. I am pretty sure I can get an 'at invoice' deal on the '03, but will have a hard time on the '04. Also, any other thoughts you have on this decision would be much appreciated. Thanks a million.
    Glad I'm not the only one cracking my head on the trunk latch, then. Poor design? Dunno. Open the truck and step back and take a look at how far that bugger sticks down! Just waiting for an unsuspecting noggin!
      Had ours serviced this past friday. 3500 miles, my choice. Coulda waited til 5000 miles like dealer wanted. Changed oil and filter. Also black plastic "contact paper" on both front doors. Front tires were wearing just a bit on outer edges, they did a four wheel alignment on it. Only paid for the oil change, the restwass covered.
      They couldn't find an intermittant knocking sound coming from the right rear when we apply the brakes. Anyone any idea what it might be? Only seems to do it in heavy stop and go traffic when the brakes are applied. Wondered if it might be the emer. brake cable hitting something (brake drum). Must call them and make another appt. to have it looked at. Don't think it's serious, but I want it fixed.
      So far very satisfied with the car!!!!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    is caused by the auto adjuster not taking up the slack on the brake shoes. Very common. What was described to me by the Hyundai mechanic is that the material of the shoes dump a lot of dust during the first few thousand miles. The dust gets into the auto aduster and binds it, so that it doesn't take up the slack. The fix was to pull the drum, clean everything out using brake cleaner, adjust the brakes, reassemble. The problem has not reoccured in over 20k of driving. Mechanic said it is just the "wear-in" dust from the new shoes and it shouldn't come back. It hasn't.

Jim
  • alvindalvind Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra with 48,000 miles and for awhile now, the seat belt warning bell rings intermittently for no reason at all. It usually happens when the passenger moves in their seat a little. What can this be. The dealership says that because of wear and tear, they should be replaced and it's not under warranty.
    I'd fight that "not under warranty" if I were you. A 2000 Elantra with 48,000 miles is still under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. I've owned many cars, several past 48,000 miles, and never have I had to replace a seat belt component. If they believe the problem is due to wear and tear, I'd ask them to prove it to you, or uphold the Hyundai warranty. You might also check the warranty book (I don't have mine handy now) re the safety systems/restraint systems and see if there are any special conditions for those.
  • tomkimbenetomkimbene Member Posts: 9
    Just curious if anyone knows if U.S. Elantras are equipped with a radio frequency immobilizer. That's where there's an RF transponder chip embedded in the key, and there's a device in the dash that reads the chip. It basically means you can't hot wire the car, and ought to translate into slightly lower insurance premiums. The plastic part of the key looks like it could, and I see references to an immobilizer in other countries' versions.
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    That is definitely not wear and tear. I haven't heard of any car in which this is something you normally replace (like brake pads, wiper blades, etc). If it's wear and tear, then the dealership should be able to tell you (with a straight face) how long these typically last and when they recommend you change them.
  • elavertuelavertu Member Posts: 13
    I would get a 2004 Elantra if I were you.

The major difference between the 2003 and 2004 is the new engine. It will only be 3hp more but will benefit from a new technology called CVVT. It's a Continuously Variable Valve Timing engine that will allow for better fuel economy and more responsiveness. Aprox 1L/100km less than the 2003.

They will also have slimmer roof pillars to provide a better view and facilitate defogging of the rear side windows.
  • elavertuelavertu Member Posts: 13
    I forgot to mention that the automatic transmission on the 2004.

Transmission also has an overdrive and use the power band more adequately than the 2003 transmission It will downshift to accelerate or climb a hill.

It's an improved version of the 2003 transmission.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Hi. I just got an 04 Elantra GLS auto with accessory 3, cargo net and floor mats for $13100 here in NYC ($14298 with TTL). The car drives nice and is very smooth. The only question I have is the "passenger air bag is off" indicator light. It is always showing. Is that supposed to be like that? I noticed that when someone sits on the passenger side, it disappears. Is that a feature or is there something wrong with the car already? Thanks.
    Just wanted to comment that I just got back from a 4 hour trip which was 99% highway and god I enjoyed the drive. No shimmy at all and I stayed at 75-80 mph the whole way, I am still amazed how comfortable this car is and how smooth the ride is. Its really nice to drive a long ways and when you get out of the car your back does not hurt at all :) Looking forward to it only getting better :D

BTW Backy the new weatherstripping is still working, not a peep on the hwy. My wofe commented that the car was so quiet at 80 mph that we did not have to push the volume past halfway while listening to the 6 CD disk changer that the dealer threw in the trunk for free.
    Thanks! I'll mention that to the dealer where we bought the car. The fact that the noise is intermittant makes it hard to find.
      Getting 32mpg now that it's had an oil change. Cruises along so smooth you don't realize you're going as fast as you are! Good thing it's got cruise!
      Remember reading not long ago at this websight about some of you having tweeters in the door. Should probably get my owners manual out, but do notice speakers down and to the front on the door panels. Is that what you all are commenting on? If so, mine has them.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    The airbag off indicator shows that there is not enough weight on the seat to use the airbag. If a small child sits in the front, it should still say airbag off. My '04 Yukon does the same thing. If my wife or son sits in the front, it shows airbag enabled. If my 9yo daughter sits there, it shows disabled. Probably uses a strain gauge in the seat cushion to determine the weight of the person. This is good to avoid small children being injured by the airbag in an accident.

Jim
    A funny thing happened on my wind noise repair. I took my car back to the dealer with the copy of the parts list you provided. They had the driver's side weatherstripping in stock so they installed that (again) and ordered the other parts. I also think they adjusted the driver's door to make it fit tighter than before, because it is a little harder to close than before--takes a bit harder tug. Anyway, the noise is gone! I think it had more to do with the door adjustment than the weatherstripping. Hopefully that will help others--the problem might be fixable with a simple door adjustment.

FWIW, I drove a $18,000 Mazda 3i sedan yesterday (just curious, not going to trade in the Elantra anytime soon), and while it's a great car in many respects, it had a lot of wind noise on the driver's side at 65 mph going into a light headwind. So it's not just the Elantra that can have this kind of problem.