Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    To shut the vents off fully, use the "recirculate" button. If air still comes through then, that would be a defect IMO. I noticed the '04s have thumbwheel controls to shut off the center vents.

As for undercoating, I've driven my '01 through four Minnesota winters (lots of salt) and no signs of rust yet). Modern vehicles are treated for corrosion at the factory. Personally I don't see the need for undercoating, but some people swear by it.

Re noise, I owned a '97 Sentra before the Elantra and IMO the Elantra is quieter except under strong acceleration--then it does put out a lot of noise. We're talking 2.0L, 135 hp vs. 1.6L, 115 hp here. I don't use/need full throttle much, so it's not a biggie for me plus I think the sound is kind of sporty. I've noticed the automatics seem quieter than the sticks (which I have).

Re metal and bumpers, I don't have hardly any dings on my Elantra after 3-1/2 years, but I'm careful where I park it. I've noticed a general decline in panel thickness over the past few years. For example, when I drove an MPV recently I knew I could put a dent in the front fender with a push from one finger (I didn't do it of course, the dealer would not have been pleased). My five-year-old minivan has dings all over it, and I've already had it in the shop twice for ding removal. So I don't think it's just the Elantra. At least the bumpers are designed to hold up well to impacts; according to the IIHS bumper tests, Elantra is one of the best in its class there.

I haven't noticed bad FM reception, but I live in a large urban area so maybe it's just not an issue here.
  • rymanryman Member Posts: 2
    I guess it isn't so slow in here.

Don't think I'm crapping on this car that many of you are apparently quite satisfied with. I actually quite enjoy driving it, generally. It's smooth and quiet (except for when you step on it) and the interior is a pleasant place, much more so than my ol' Sentra. I went on the test drives with my mom when we were car shopping, and I agreed with her that it was the nicest (roomy feeling, too) of the cars we test drove, which included a new 1.8l Sentra, Corolla, Echo, Ion, Civic and another I can't remember. It drove better, had more features and was cheaper, too. Same reasons that lots of people have bought them.

When I say my Sentra is quieter, I should note that I don't spend a lot of time with the revs up very high. The one time I drove an auto '96 Sentra I was NOT impressed - it revved a lot and was noisy when it did. Like I say, it's the probably the same reason I generally don't like small engines with automatic trannies. I'd rather use more throttle than rev it out, if I don't have to.

Well, time will tell how the Elantra holds up. It won't be replaced anytime soon, it would cost too much in depreciation. We're generally satisfied with it so far - most of what I've mentioned has only bothered me, not my mom who usually drives it. I have also noticed what seems like a low pitched rattle/vibration that comes from the right front when that side hits the ubiquitous poholes that edge the city streets around here, but I'm not sure if it's anything or not, yet. The car's got a couple of years of full warranty left on it yet, so I trust any real problems that appear will be taken care of.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Well, personal experience here (unfortunately) can attest that you can back into a mailbox on a 4"x4" post, snap it off clean and sail it into the street, and if the horizontal portion of the post assembly hadn't gone through the tail light there would have been no damage. Can't say the same for the mailbox and post, though...
  • ytbhytbh Member Posts: 11
    i just graduated from college and have just started a new job. i'm hoping my current 91 Grand Am will last for a few more months, but meanwhile, I'd like to find a good car. The Elantra seems good. If I buy a 2003, does that mean i'll still get a 9 year warranty. i just hoping some of you guys might know this. basically, i want to buy the best reliable and satisfying car for around $10K. any advice?
    In a word, no. The 10-year powertrain warranty is good only for the original buyer and his/her immediate family members. You might be able to find a used Elantra with the Hyundai extended warranty, and in that case the bumper-to-bumper warranty would be extended to 10 years/100k miles. Expect to pay more for that.
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    I thought that the 10 year warranty would be in force if you sold your Hyundai to a son etc. But when I phoned Hyundai custoner service they said no... it only works for the original buyer not immidiate family.
    Niels
    Hyundai has changed its warranty policy!! Ugh! From hyundaiusa.com:

"Coverage applies to Original Owner only effective 2004 Model Year. On 1999-2003 Model Years, coverage applies to Original Owner and immediate family members (i.e. wife, husband, daughter, son, stepdaughter, stepson)."
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    The 10 year powertrain warranty is not transferable on a used (pre-2004) Hyundai -- however, the balance of the 5 year bumper to bumper is transferable -- so on a 1 year old Elantra with 12,000 miles, you should get 4 years (48,000 miles) of warranty...
    i just graduated from college and have just started a new job. i'm hoping my current 91 Grand Am will last for a few more months, but meanwhile, I'd like to find a good car. The Elantra seems good. If I buy a 2003, does that mean i'll still get a 9 year warranty. i just hoping some of you guys might know this. basically, i want to buy the best reliable and satisfying car for around $10K. any advice?
    sorry, i should have read the above messages first
    i know most who read this are either elantra owners or are interested. but if i want a car that will last for at least 10 years and cost about $10K. what are some good options. i don't want a Kia Rio. and Elantra might seem like a good choice if i can find a good price for it. any suggestions?
    You can get a low-mileage 2002-3 Elantra for under $10k. Right now, you could actually get a new '04 GLS for just over $10k, if you don't mind a stick. There's the $2000 rebate plus $400 college bonus if you finance through Hyundai.

If you go a bit older, you could get a good used Civic or Corolla for under $10k. You might even be able to get one with an extended warranty. A used Protege would also be a good bet. You could probably find a 2002 or even 2003 Pro for under $10k, and they have a good reliability history too.
    Does anybody know any place around Ohio where I could get a really good deal on a 2004 Elantra GLS. I'd like to get it with the auto, ABS package w/o the sunroof and after taxes and title, for around $13K. Is this possible? and does anybody know a good dealer?
    Anyone get a good deal lately on the Hyundai extended warranty, which takes the bumper-to-bumper warranty out to 10 years/100k miles?
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    '01 GLS 5-speed, just rolled 42K, still a peach!
    I've been following this board for four years, and it's interesting to me what Hyundai has done during that time to address some of the complaints of Elantra buyers, as mentioned early on here, for example:

* Fabric patterns--redone in 2002, again in 2004.
    * Can't unlock just the driver's door with the remote or key--changed for 2004 (or earlier?)
    * No panic button on the remote--added for 2004 (or earlier?)
    * Interior a little drab--redone for 2004, a little more upscale
    * Poor showing in IIHS crash test--seat track redesigned (changed in U.S. cars in 2004 or earlier), car scheduled for retest
    * No easy way to shut off center dash vents--shutoffs added for 2004
    * No cargo lighting (GT)--added for 2004 (or earlier?)
    * No rear cupholders--added during '01 MY
    * Engine technology uncompetitive with Honda and Toyota (CVVT added in 2003, SULEV emissions available, improved power and/or mpg)
    * "Frown" look--exterior styling refreshed for 2004

I've probably missed some improvements, so chime in.
    I had forgotten some of those improvements to an already good car! If I could easily trade my beige fabric for the 2004 fabric, I would do it. Otherwise, it's great as-is.

Thanks for the good reminder. This is precisely why I bought my car in the first place. This company is really putting forth an effort to improve itself and its products.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    When I got my gray 01 GLS I didn't like the brown fabric and wasn't crazy about the gray. Got to say that the interior has aged well, fabric seems great after three years and sixty thou. miles.
    43K recently turned uneventfully. Still quiet and dependable and cute and clean, and I continue to love this car. :)
    On Chigger and all is well. And as I drive my 50 miles round trip to work each day, I pass those folks who just HAD to have that monster truck/SUV/Hummer to commute in and think about my one 13 gallon trip to the gas station every 7 days or so. And I smile.
  • regiregi Member Posts: 1
    I dont recommend buying an Elentra. As a matter of fact I dont recommend buying any Hyundai products. I am the owner of a 2000 elentra and I have nothing but problems with the engin overheating and the a/c does not work. Also Hyundai does not honor its warranty as many people think. You will end up paying between 80-100 dollars just to check it out. Stay away from Hyundai its not worth the hassel.

Regi
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    One point behind Toyota and tied with Honda. Still there are a lot of people out there who either got burned on old models or will NEVER buy anything Korean.

http://www.freep.com/news/statewire/sw96891_20040428.htm
    and just as many of us (and growing) who refuse to buy American vehicles until the Big 2.5 really shape up.

Regi, the vast majority of Elantra owners on these threads are very, very happy with their cars.
    On a nameplate basis, Hyundai actually did better than Toyota in the latest Initial Quality Survey, topping not only Toyota but also Infiniti, Mercedes, Audi, BMW, Volvo, Acura, Mazda, Scion and many others. Hyundai was 7th overall by nameplate, behind Lexus, Cadillac, Jaguar, Honda, Buick, and Mercury. The old Hyundai models, particularly the Excel and early Sonatas, were of poor quality. But it is hard to ignore the huge strides Hyundai has made in quality since they began to focus on it around 1998. I think my two Elantras, a '01 and '04, are as good in quality as any other car in their class. The '01 has held up very well, and the '04 is flawless so far after its first month.
  • baber1baber1 Member Posts: 49
    My 99 Accent was destroyed in a crash a few days ago. A fool ran a stop sign and I hit her at about 45 MPH. The airbags went off and I didnt get a scratch but my 99 Accent was totaled. I take delivery of my new Elantra tomarrow. I got such a great deal, I am paying about what I payed fot the accent in 99. My 99 Accent had 131,000 miles on it with very few problems. I hope the Elantra will be as good as the Accent was. image
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Were you attempting to post a pic of your wrecked Accent? I see a picture of some sort was inserted at the end of the message but I'm unable to view it. If it is a pic of your Accent, I'd like to see how well it held up. Send it to the email address in my profile if you don't mind. Thanks.
    It looks like your car held up extremely well for going that fast! what kind of car did you hit and what part of their car did you contact?
    I hit an 85 Olds {Cutlass maybe) in the passanger side rear quarter panel.
  • smith20smith20 Member Posts: 256
    I agree that is pretty remarkable how well the Accent held up for a 45mph impact. Glad to hear you weren't hurt. I think you'll enjoy your new Elantra . . . my wife and I have definitely been enjoying ours. No problems so far after one week. :)
    Picked up my new Elantra today. Very nice car, nicer then my Wife's 99 Elantra. Getting used to the 5 speed. Nice power and much quieter the the 99 Elantra. My Sister owns a Corrolla, she couldnt believe the price I payed. Very happy so far. I hope the Elantra runs as good as my Accent did.
    There are plenty of owners in these threads who are enjoying LOTS of miles with few problems in their Elantras. I am one of them. You probably are enjoying the extra room inside, compared with your dearly departed Accent. Happy motoring!
    The horsepower issue has returned. It appears someone went ahead and filed a class action lawsuit against Hyundai; my notice came today. I am eligible for one of two debit cards. Geez, folks, wasn't the additional warranty more than enough?
    You definitely should post those pics on the Accent discussion. They might be interested in seeing how your car held up.
    I got my letter today too. Oh boy, my choice of a $50 debit card or a $100 Hyundai dealer shopping card. I'll probably take that one--assuming the settlement is approved. I noticed some Hyundai owners get up to a $225 debit card or $325 dealer shopping card--the ones who own a car for which the horsepower was overstated by 7 percent or more. I really don't think Hyundai owes me anything, but if the suit is settled I might as well get a card.
    I got my horsepower letter in the mail the day my Accent was totaled. I can get $75 cash or $120 Dealer credit. Guess Ill go for the Dealer credit. I did post the photos on the Accent site. I got such a deal on an Elantra that I didnt even look at an Accent. Man, a $2,000 rebate on a car that already is the best deal around is irresistible. On top of the great car and great price, I got the car at a new Hyundai Dealer and they gave me free mainenance for 12 months or 12,000 miles as a grand opening promotion.
    Not eligible for any of it, so I am not sure why they sent the letter. The Elantra was rated for 140HP, then down rated to 135. Funny, it still runs the same...
    We took our first trip of measureable distance today in our new Elantra and I was quite impressed with the mileage (especially this early in its life) the trip computer calculated. We went about 70 miles total, about 55 highway and 15 slooowwww stop-and-go (painful to watch the mpg drop! haha) Total was 30.9 mpg for the trip and there are not even 200 miles on the odometer yet!
    Thats pretty good mileage for a car that has not been broken in. I remember my Wife's 99 Elantra automatic averaged 30 MPG on the highway with the AC running and speeds of 75MPH+ here in Florida. My 99 Accent never got less then 30 MPG. You really need to go through a full tank to get a good measure of mileage. I love my new Elantra. It is a real sports car compared to my Accent. Im getting used to the 5 speed trans. A few times I hit 4th gear instead of 2nd and stalled it once in first. I am still getting used to the clutch. The 2004 is MUCH quieter then our 99. They really smoothed out the engine. I like the passenger airbag cut off too. The side airbags are nice too. I can testify that the airbags in Hyundais work very well. I drove a new base model Sonata for a day. That Sonata was a nice car too, and this was the cheap Sonata. The Elantra is just the best value out there now.
  • jimpimmsjimpimms Member Posts: 81
    "Not eligible for any of it, so I am not sure why they sent the letter. The Elantra was rated for 140HP, then down rated to 135. Funny, it still runs the same..."

Read it again. You are eligible. In the subject of the letter they show you which group you're in (Elantras are Group D). Remember, we were excluded from the "2002 Goodwill Offer" because the hp difference was less than 4% -- Hyundai's arbitrary threshold. You're now eligible for a $50/$100 debit card, assuming this is approved.

Backy, the owners eligible for the $225/$325 debit cards have to give up the Goodwill Offer benefits they received last year (i.e., 1 year extended base warranty, or two year extended drivetrain warranty, or 5 year extended roadside assistance). If they choose not to do so, they're still eligible for a $175/$250 debit card.

Hyundai's already given me an extra 1-yr 12,000-mi warranty on my wife's Sonata (Group A), so I don't feel that they owe me anything there. I may apply for the Elantra, though, since we were initially offered nothing in recompense.
    You have to be the original owner of the car, and of course still own it, to be eligible for the class action suit award. Perhaps that is what was meant by "not eligible."
    I agree we need to drive it more to truly understand its fuel economy . . . probably over a few tanks of gas. But, the predicted mpg by the trip computer was just so much better than I was expecting that I decided to post a message. I agree the Elantra is very quiet. We were going about 55-60 on the highway and between the quietness of the car and people passing us (at about 15-20mph probably) I *REALLY* felt like we were going about 35mph . . . definitely a great feeling. I can see we're going to have some fun (and affordable if the mpg keeps up! haha) road trips this summer! :)
    I looked at my letter again, and it states that I am in group D, and not eligible for any compensation. I am the original owner, and did not accept any extended warranties or other compensation. Does this vary by state? I am in Texas. Where gas prices are the highest in the states history. Cheapest in town is $1.74 for self serve regular.
    If you are in Group D, you ARE eligible for compensation--the $50 debit card or $100 dealer card.

You are lucky re gas--it's $1.89 or more for self serve regular in the Twin Cities. Glad my wife is driving that Elantra GT now instead of our old Grand Caravan.
    "You have to be the original owner of the car, and of course still own it, to be eligible for the class action suit award."

I transferred a 2001 Elantra to my married daughter. Is she eligible?

Also, on gas prices -- regular was about $2.159/gallon on my way to work this morning...don't know what they will be on my return home after work...(Southern California).
    If your daugher has title to the car, then I think the answer is "no", since you are no longer the registered owner.
    You may be right! I was hoping that since Hyundai treats all family members as original owners for warranty purposes (at least they did in 2001), that the same logic would apply to the class action award.

BTW, regular unleaded was 2.199 last night, the same this morning. There are plenty higher -- these prices are the lowest in my area, other than extreme off-brands which are as low as 2.159 this morning...
    Good lord! And I was getting so ill with $1.89 89 octane that I switched to $1.79 87 octane on a few of my cars. I guess us Floridians don't have it too bad.
    I spoke too soon!! 87 octane is now at $1.93!!!! My god, what a huge increase from the last time I filled up! I think I need to retire my Tiburon V6 for awhile and tough it out in my 84 VW without AC.
    Up 16 cents from yesterday. $25 to fill up my GT. And it isn't even close to Memorial Day!